PDA

View Full Version : Katy - 35 , Pearland - 38 (Final)

Pages : 1 [2] 3

tigerfan2010
12-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Watching film night and having a chance to see several plays over and over... The spot on the 4th down was wrong, before and after the WR picked the ball up and moved it, tackles setting picks 8 yards down field on passing plays, DE's being tackled on pass plays. Illegal blocks on Katy that the RB cut the ground and not the player, holding that wasnt there, and on top of it all the coaches said those are things that we cant control so we dont worry about them.

Coaches praised PL for making the plays, and talked about Katy's special teams doing a poor job on kick off coverage. Overall it was a good film night, good hard playing from both sides. Thought that we would see a SP vs PL finals. Had a lot of praise for the rb and the wr #10....

Pearland1
12-06-2010, 09:21 PM
This is my first post about the actual game since the loss. I haven't read anything either about the game. Just my own thoughts and discussions with 2000 and champ. I'll try to keep it as brief as I can...I could really go on for pages if I wanted to :)

It really sank in today that the Tigers aren't playing this week and I can only imagine how the players/coaches feel. It really gets worse the more I think about how the game played out.

From the Katy perspective, this was a game of uncharacteristic mistake after mistake combined with 6+ legit missed opportunities at crucial points of the game. Most notably, 1) the TD right before the half...im flat baffled as to what happened on this play from the alignment, personnel, and execution with that down & distance and time on the clock. It makes zero sense. 2) The TD pass at the end of the game...once again, see #1.

Trey Anderson was the difference in this one. Three more huge/very costly missed opportunities for Katy came down to Anderson making a great play. 1) Bad Punt snap that Anderson Houdini'ed out of the end zone. 2) Being just elusive enough to evade Narcisse and draw a facemask on 4th and long to retain possession and ultimately score 3) Anderson evading two/three guys in the backfield to pull up and hit Sam Ukwuachu for a deep TD pass.

The other stuff...penalties, special teams, etc...can't really say we didn't see that coming. It all finally caught up to the Tigers and that's full credit to Pearland. Pearland had the right answers every time they needed one. They made the plays that a champion makes, Katy did not. Once again, full credit to Pearland...that's big time on a stage like that.

After all of that, Katy was still in position to win the game, but couldn't make the plays. As an offensive guy myself, I have no idea what we were doing that last :47 seconds. Had 3 timeouts, had a back that was running for 240 yards, and was looking at a defense not focused on stopping the run at that point. All we "needed" was 3. It was very possible to put yourself in good position to tie it up by running the ball along with using the sidelines and your timeouts.

Moving Forward:

I'm intrigued to see this Pearland team against either RR Stony Point or Trinity (sorry Stevens - great season). At this point, I believe that Stony Point wouldn't be the greatest of matchups. I think the Oilers can do some damage offensively against Trinity with the right gameplan. On the field, I love the attitude/confidence the Oilers play with and I'd like to think that they won't crumble come the State Championship. We'll have a great week of football discussion starting next Monday.

Katy...Offense is in great hands outside of building depth. Key pieces are back at QB, RB, OL, and WR. The defensive "front seven" is in good shape. Losing Sampa and Clifton is a big hit, but guys are in position to step up and be plenty good enough. Secondary, what is the nicest way to put this...a ton of work to do. Key pieces are gone, no experienced help in sight. There are a couple guys that I think have potential. I expect a very young and questionable secondary heading into the season. Luckily, there's plenty of time to get it figured out in 19-5A.

Like I said in my early post in the Katy vs Pearland thread that Trey Anderson was going to be the key to this game. He is the best QB to come out of Pearland. The kid reminds me of Drew Brees from Westlake.

mojo4life
12-06-2010, 09:27 PM
She's a hater.

I figured that out awhile back.

She's said these 2 things in the same thread....

"Pearland will win this game...not sure why...blah blah blah."

"I thought Katy would win this game but knew they would lose to Trinity in the final....blah blah blah."

Sounds to me like someone is jealous of a program that stole that 80's magic from her beloved Black and White.

Theyre all over...people have been waiting 10 years for a Katy D1 loss. Gaurantee our hater #1 from a little north wet his pants when the gun sounded....but he's been halfway decent...which kind of sucks because he was on his way to a ban. :yes:

Just thought katy would have a hard time making it through d1 the last few years.
I wanted them to play the best H-town had to offer and see a tough d1 team from region 1 like rrsp, trinity allen .Nothing more nothing less wanted to see what happened if the took that route. I was an interested observer
thougHt katy would struggle and they did. I came away impressed with Katys team,maybe next year..heck katy is capable but d2 is the easier path ask memorial.
Then I get smacked around here on a board for having a differant opionion on the out come of said KATY GAME... BEST OF LUCK NEXT SEASON,

TheRocket
12-06-2010, 09:40 PM
This is my first post about the actual game since the loss. I haven't read anything either about the game. Just my own thoughts and discussions with 2000 and champ. I'll try to keep it as brief as I can...I could really go on for pages if I wanted to :)

It really sank in today that the Tigers aren't playing this week and I can only imagine how the players/coaches feel. It really gets worse the more I think about how the game played out.

From the Katy perspective, this was a game of uncharacteristic mistake after mistake combined with 6+ legit missed opportunities at crucial points of the game. Most notably, 1) the TD right before the half...im flat baffled as to what happened on this play from the alignment, personnel, and execution with that down & distance and time on the clock. It makes zero sense. 2) The TD pass at the end of the game...once again, see #1.

Trey Anderson was the difference in this one. Three more huge/very costly missed opportunities for Katy came down to Anderson making a great play. 1) Bad Punt snap that Anderson Houdini'ed out of the end zone. 2) Being just elusive enough to evade Narcisse and draw a facemask on 4th and long to retain possession and ultimately score 3) Anderson evading two/three guys in the backfield to pull up and hit Sam Ukwuachu for a deep TD pass.

The other stuff...penalties, special teams, etc...can't really say we didn't see that coming. It all finally caught up to the Tigers and that's full credit to Pearland. Pearland had the right answers every time they needed one. They made the plays that a champion makes, Katy did not. Once again, full credit to Pearland...that's big time on a stage like that.

After all of that, Katy was still in position to win the game, but couldn't make the plays. As an offensive guy myself, I have no idea what we were doing that last :47 seconds. Had 3 timeouts, had a back that was running for 240 yards, and was looking at a defense not focused on stopping the run at that point. All we "needed" was 3. It was very possible to put yourself in good position to tie it up by running the ball along with using the sidelines and your timeouts.

Moving Forward:

I'm intrigued to see this Pearland team against either RR Stony Point or Trinity (sorry Stevens - great season). At this point, I believe that Stony Point wouldn't be the greatest of matchups. I think the Oilers can do some damage offensively against Trinity with the right gameplan. On the field, I love the attitude/confidence the Oilers play with and I'd like to think that they won't crumble come the State Championship. We'll have a great week of football discussion starting next Monday.

Katy...Offense is in great hands outside of building depth. Key pieces are back at QB, RB, OL, and WR. The defensive "front seven" is in good shape. Losing Sampa and Clifton is a big hit, but guys are in position to step up and be plenty good enough. Secondary, what is the nicest way to put this...a ton of work to do. Key pieces are gone, no experienced help in sight. There are a couple guys that I think have potential. I expect a very young and questionable secondary heading into the season. Luckily, there's plenty of time to get it figured out in 19-5A.

JC84chill, I know the feeling you've described about not playing when the new week comes, it's not good. When you really believe that you have the team to take it to the house and you get beat, it stings and stings pretty bad. If you feel your team is playing well and maybe over their head you don't take losing quite as hard when it comes. I really felt in 2008 that we had the best team and ran into a Hghtower team that was big, strong, hard hitting and well coached, at that, we were a play here or a play there from beating them, similar to the way most of Katy Nation is feeling today, a play here or a play there and you have a different outcome. One thing I never ever heard mentioned back then as an excuse was the fact that a stud of a Defensive tackle and I mean a stud for Pearland was excused from that game by the coach for some violation that was commited. He was a big part of or run stopping ability that year and Hightower did have success running against his 185 lb replacement, I believe he was 265 or 275. Would all coaches suspend a player for a big game like that? I really admired Coach Heath after that and to never ever bring that up or use it as an excuse speaks volumes!

Not sure about alignment or personnel that Katy was using just before half but it appeared to me that the cornerback bit on a sideline fake by our QB ( Anderson ) and that gave Knipes the room he needed, in fact he had 2 maybe 3 steps on the cornerback when the ball arrived.

I didn't mention the Houdini act that Trey put on when he got that punt off and the fact that he kept the play alive when Katy was about to sack him where he drew the face mask, of now knowing what we know, those were game changing plays. We all know that it takes everyone for a team to get to the big game but it doesn't hurt to have a player who can distribute the ball and keep a play alive like Trey does.

I didn't want to say it but I thought Katy's biggest weakness against Pearland was the defensive secondary but then again, if the QB buys time, receivers will get open!!

I did the what if when we lost to Hightower back in 2008 and I could look at several scenarios that would've changed the outcome, or so I thought. We had them 3rd and 25 early on the QB eluded a hard rush just like Anderson did this past Saturday, he throws a pass that the receiver dives for and completes a finger tip catch right at the first down line, they bring out the chains and he makes it by an inch, so it goes! There must've been 4 or 5 of those plays that day and we ended up on the bitter end of the score which like you said, really set in on Monday and the remainder of the week I might add.

Good luck to ya'll and hope we meet again next year!

Gateruner
12-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Correct....looking back...Katy is about two plays away from playing in 5 straight title games.
2006 Goal line stance by Cy-Falls as time ran out
2007 State Champs
2008 State Champs
2009 State Runner ups
2010 Pearland scored with 47 seconds left

Most teams would KILL to have that.....13-1 to some teams is reason to celebrate. 13-1 is a dissappointment for Katy....I know it's not gonna last for ever, so I'm gonna sit back and enjoy the ride. And the scary thing is......Katy will return their first 3 year starter at QB(actually got snaps as a frosh in 08).....4 offensive lineman and a 1500 yard rusher who is still filling out his 6'1/6'2 Frame.....

Cant win them all......still a great season, nothing to be ashamed of about this past Saturday.

Nothing more true than this!!

no mo cheese
12-07-2010, 08:27 AM
Watching film night and having a chance to see several plays over and over... The spot on the 4th down was wrong, before and after the WR picked the ball up and moved it, tackles setting picks 8 yards down field on passing plays, DE's being tackled on pass plays. Illegal blocks on Katy that the RB cut the ground and not the player, holding that wasnt there, and on top of it all the coaches said those are things that we cant control so we dont worry about them.

Coaches praised PL for making the plays, and talked about Katy's special teams doing a poor job on kick off coverage. Overall it was a good film night, good hard playing from both sides. Thought that we would see a SP vs PL finals. Had a lot of praise for the rb and the wr #10....

nm

Rook
12-07-2010, 10:48 AM
I have posted this several times but haven't received a response, am I missing something? What happened with JT the receiver at the end of the game that was injured? How did he get injured? Is this something no one knows or something people just aren't comfortable talking about?

KT2000
12-07-2010, 10:53 AM
I have posted this several times but haven't received a response, am I missing something? What happened with JT the receiver at the end of the game that was injured? How did he get injured? Is this something no one knows or something people just aren't comfortable talking about?

He got lit up over the middle after Haack flipped the screen attempt in Adam Taylor's direction on the last series. The play actually was designed to go further downfield over the middle (to Watkins around midfield I think), but the play was rushed a bit with the pressure. JT was looking back at Haack and didn't see the Pearland LB sizing him up. As soon as Haack released the ball in Taylor's direction, the LB cleaned out JT.

He was knocked out, came to, and then went out again apparently. He's OK now.

dada
12-07-2010, 10:55 AM
He got lit up over the middle after Haack flipped the screen attempt in Adam Taylor's direction on the last series. The play actually was designed to go further downfield over the middle (to Watkins around midfield I think), but the play was rushed a bit with the pressure. JT was looking back at Haack and didn't see the Pearland LB sizing him up. As soon as Haack released the ball in Taylor's direction, the LB cleaned out JT.

So next year....JT, Haack....who else are starters from the 09 title game?

KT2000
12-07-2010, 11:19 AM
Is there any video of this dude anywhere...would love to see some clips of him and Aston.

I have his (Jatzlau's) senior highlights. I will upload to YT later.

no mo cheese
12-07-2010, 11:35 AM

that's good news!!

i'm guessing it was 16 that hit him, but i did not see it, nor have i had the opportunity to view game video. 16? or?

tigerfan2010
12-07-2010, 11:45 AM
I thought it was a number in the 30-40's?

BlakeJ
12-07-2010, 12:28 PM
I have his (Jatzlau's) senior highlights. I will upload to YT later.

Sweet...thanks.

BlakeJ
12-07-2010, 12:32 PM
One thing I found hard to believe....and someone said it was mentioned at film...

Pearland had 33 pass attempts with ZERO holding calls.

That OLine must have been really good. :p

TheRocket
12-07-2010, 12:46 PM

tigerfan, you say the spot on 4th down, where should the spot have been, should it have been a 1st down or should it have been a change of possession? From where I was sitting, it appeared that the player was down almost a full yard past the down marker and it appeared when all was said and done that the ref moved the ball back from that spot which made it real close, close enough to measure. I was on the opposite of the field from the play and also around the 30 yard line so it was hard to tell from where I was sitting.

You were also saying that there were a lot of missed calls and you seem to indicate that all the missed calls went against Katy. If there truly were illegal blocks, DE being held and on and on, certainly this must've gone both ways. It's hard to believe that the refs could miss so many calls and that all of the missed calls went solely against 1 team! I thought early on that the refs missed a couple of calls but in the second half I thought they were calling the game pretty close and pretty fair although, once again from where I was sitting, I thought they spotted the ball a little off on a few plays that went to the sideline which were for 1st downs. Believe it or not, I thought the ref confused which foot he marked the ball with and used the wrong foot once for sure if not twice, not an easy job being a ref!

coachg89
12-07-2010, 12:51 PM
A few pages back, around page 7 or 8, there is the annual discussion over D1 or D2.

I was at the game, I've been to several Katy games this year (my kid attends the 'other' school). I played for Katy a long time ago - back when we were just starting to get good, still trying to compete at the early playoff level. We were good and didn't think anyone could beat us.

As I've followed Katy over the past few years, I've seen a lot of changes in the fan support, I've seen the D1/D2 discussions and have always agreed that it's not Katy's fault they were in D2. They played who lined up across from them and beat them. The enrollment in your school does not have much to do with how good your football team is (most everyone agrees with that). What is a difference in D1/D2 over the past few years is the caliber of football team in each division. This year and last, the stronger of the programs (based on the year's state rankings) all fell in D1. As a football team, if you have to play difficult opponents week in and week out, it takes a little more out of you. The NShore game was the first test Katy's had all year, only to be followed by another one. In the past, they might have had one close game in the playoffs before reaching the finals.

You can not overlook the fact that D1 has better football teams in it (Katy included). Therefore, welcome to D1 Katy. It ain't your older brother's D2 anymore. Not from a "hater" but from a former player who's still a fan of Katy football.

I can remember Coach Johnston talking about how Region 3 teams would beat the snot out of each other week in and week out, only to have nothing left for the semi's and finals. D1, R3 is essentially the same thing we used to see. Most of the R3 top teams go D1 each year, therefore, making that path more difficult. Look no further than our district this weekend. Who would have ever guessed (other than Memorial fans) that they'd be the only team still playing in the semi's.

TheRocket
12-07-2010, 12:52 PM
One thing I found hard to believe....and someone said it was mentioned at film...

I don't remember many penalties period, there weren't any pass interference penalties, holding like you mentioned, motion, about all I remember were a couple of false starts ( Pearland last drive ) face mask ( last drive ) and 1 series where Katy was penalized like twice in a row to make it like 3rd and 25 but I can't remember what they were, holding maybe!

The Oiler line is pretty good, they average around 6'3" 265!

KT2000
12-07-2010, 12:57 PM
tigerfan, you say the spot on 4th down, where should the spot have been, should it have been a 1st down or should it have been a change of possession? From where I was sitting, it appeared that the player was down almost a full yard past the down marker and it appeared when all was said and done that the ref moved the ball back from that spot which made it real close, close enough to measure. I was on the opposite of the field from the play and also around the 30 yard line so it was hard to tell from where I was sitting.

It looked like the WR fell right at the marker. The spot really could have gone either way. In fact, the spotting official initially ran in about a foot short of the marker. Pearland loses the game if Kanipes is any shorter in that route. He was right at the stick. Ideally, you sit down at least a yard or two past the stick.

The play where Anderson escaped pressure and hit Ukwuachu was one of the craziest things I've ever seen on film. Katy's two converging players actually hit each other when it looked like Anderson was going down and those two players took out Katy's third trailing player as Anderson escaped. That play summed up the game from Katy's perspective.

dada
12-07-2010, 12:59 PM
A few pages back, around page 7 or 8, there is the annual discussion over D1 or D2.

I was at the game, I've been to several Katy games this year (my kid attends the 'other' school). I played for Katy a long time ago - back when we were just starting to get good, still trying to compete at the early playoff level. We were good and didn't think anyone could beat us.

As I've followed Katy over the past few years, I've seen a lot of changes in the fan support, I've seen the D1/D2 discussions and have always agreed that it's not Katy's fault they were in D2. They played who lined up across from them and beat them. The enrollment in your school does not have much to do with how good your football team is (most everyone agrees with that). What is a difference in D1/D2 over the past few years is the caliber of football team in each division. This year and last, the stronger of the programs (based on the year's state rankings) all fell in D1. As a football team, if you have to play difficult opponents week in and week out, it takes a little more out of you. The NShore game was the first test Katy's had all year, only to be followed by another one. In the past, they might have had one close game in the playoffs before reaching the finals.

You can not overlook the fact that D1 has better football teams in it (Katy included). Therefore, welcome to D1 Katy. It ain't your older brother's D2 anymore. Not from a "hater" but from a former player who's still a fan of Katy football.

I can remember Coach Johnston talking about how Region 3 teams would beat the snot out of each other week in and week out, only to have nothing left for the semi's and finals. D1, R3 is essentially the same thing we used to see. Most of the R3 top teams go D1 each year, therefore, making that path more difficult. Look no further than our district this weekend. Who would have ever guessed (other than Memorial fans) that they'd be the only team still playing in the semi's.

Question...in Region 3. WHO are the "Top" Teams in D1 over the past 4-5 years? and what's Katy's record vs those teams?

D1 had nothing to do with Pearland's WR being 6'5. Memorial is playing great ball right now. Katy isnt the only team that gets better as the season goes on. Who knows, if Katy was in D2 and they played the way they played Saturday, who's to say Cy-Woods dosent beat Katy?

There is no such thing as D1 and D2 in the regular season...all of a sudden is a HUGE factor in the playoffs.

ray1301
12-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Question...in Region 3. WHO are the "Top" Teams in D1 over the past 4-5 years? and what's Katy's record vs those teams?

D1 had nothing to do with Pearland's WR being 6'5. Memorial is playing great ball right now. Katy isnt the only team that gets better as the season goes on. Who knows, if Katy was in D2 and they played the way they played Saturday, who's to say Cy-Woods dosent beat Katy?

There is no such thing as D1 and D2 in the regular season...all of a sudden is a HUGE factor in the playoffs.

Dada you should know better than this. There is always the question of D1 vs. D2 and which division is tougher just like the Regional argument of which region is better, blah blah blah blah........ I could care less about it, it just gets old after a while

ray1301
12-07-2010, 01:04 PM
It looked like the WR fell right at the marker. The spot really could have gone either way. In fact, the spotting official initially ran in about a foot short of the marker. Pearland loses the game if Kanipes is any shorter in that route. He was right at the stick. Ideally, you sit down at least a yard or two past the stick.

The play where Anderson escaped pressure and hit Ukwuachu was one of the craziest things I've ever seen on film. Katy's two converging players actually hit each other when it looked like Anderson was going down and those two players took out Katy's third trailing player as Anderson escaped. That play summed up the game from Katy's perspective.

The only issue I had with the Ref's was this play. Never ever ever have I seen a ref allow a player to spot the ball and then the ref keeps it there.

marmer
12-07-2010, 01:04 PM

Weren't any too many holding calls on those sweeps you ran all day long either.

DY and AT must have been really good. :p

Still wondering why when the DB flattened Kanipes in the 2nd qtr. that wasn't pass interference.

dada
12-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Dada you should know better than this. There is always the question of D1 vs. D2 and which division is tougher just like the Regional argument of which region is better, blah blah blah blah........ I could care less about it, it just gets old after a while

LOL, when you translate it "Katy lost to Pearland because there are more students at Pearland High".....it had NOTHING to do with the game.

And yes...it got old the year Aldine and Marshall both won state titles in 1990

dada
12-07-2010, 01:10 PM

Still wondering why when the DB flattened Kanipes in the 2nd qtr. that wasn't pass interference.

You saw the lead blocker on those sweeps....lol....

but we did have 3 big runs called back on two holding calls on a WR and a mysterious chop block where the FB fell and the defender jumped over him.

no excuses.....like Pearland said...they made ONE MORE PLAY than Katy.

tsktfan
12-07-2010, 01:15 PM

Katy had 2 holding calls and 1 chop block (15 yd penalty) called against its offense and no holding called against Pearlands offense. The chop block on Katy #24 was a bad call, running back comes out of backfield goes low to attempt to block MLB who jumps over the block attempt and lands on his feet. That penalty killed that drive in the 3rd qrt with 3 min left on the clock.

Pearland1
12-07-2010, 01:17 PM
Katy's Defensive front line was offside about 4 times and not once it got called. It goes both ways and at the end it all evens out.

tigerfan2010
12-07-2010, 01:23 PM
I guess I see the holding and non calls because I am a Katy fan, and watched the video over and over and in slow motion. I am sure if I was on the other side of the film room watching it from PL and seeing these plays I could point out non calls against Katy. None of these yellow flags lost the game for Katy. My hat goes off to PL they made the plays when they needed to most.

A 15 yard call against the FB for diving into the ground, the defender jumps and loses balance and rolls, flag drops....

The 4th down play was huge, the official marks the ball, the WR runs up and picks it up and lays it back down at a different spot. The ref runs in from the other side with a different mark. I thought originally he was past the needed yards to pick up the first down.... When they measured it, it was just enough for a first down... If the WR wouldnt have moved it, wouldnt have been a first down. Bottom line the player shouldnt have been allowed to touch the ball to begin with.

Anytime you get to week 14 you need a little luck on your side, PL has been in this position a few times this year, and they are undefeated under those circumstances, so keep the good play up and the luck on your side and bring a State Championship back to H-Town...

ray1301
12-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Katy's Defensive front line was offside about 4 times and not once it got called. It goes both ways and at the end it all evens out.

Doesn't matter. Pearland executed their game plan better than Katy did and won.

BlakeJ
12-07-2010, 01:27 PM

DY and AT must have been really good.

Cuz he deserved it. :p

tigerfan2010
12-07-2010, 01:27 PM
http://thegrind.smugmug.com/Football/Katy-vs-Pearland-by-Doug/14966870_rjqNZ#1117836693_cQGyd

Some great action photos, shows about 5 pictures of your qb getting out of a sack and making a great play.

no mo cheese
12-07-2010, 01:29 PM

they are!!! good of you to notice.

p.s. it was "slingblade" joseph who was complaining about the lack of holding and # of pass attempts.

Rook
12-07-2010, 01:33 PM

As I've followed Katy over the past few years, I've seen a lot of changes in the fan support, I've seen the D1/D2 discussions and have always agreed that it's not Katy's fault they were in D2. They played who lined up across from them and beat them. The enrollment in your school does not have much to do with how good your football team is (most everyone agrees with that). What is a difference in D1/D2 over the past few years is the caliber of football team in each division. This year and last, the stronger of the programs (based on the year's state rankings) all fell in D1. As a football team, if you have to play difficult opponents week in and week out, it takes a little more out of you. The NShore game was the first test Katy's had all year, only to be followed by another one. In the past, they might have had one close game in the playoffs before reaching the fin Therefore, welcome to D1 Katy. It ain't your older brother's D2 anymore.als.

You can not overlook the fact that D1 has better football teams in it (Katy included). Not from a "hater" but from a former player who's still a fan of Katy football.

Bold: If you have been a Katy fan/player from the period known as the foundation and you continued to follow Katy then you should know Katy introduced themselves to the D1 playoffs before this year. Welcome to D1 is a statement of ignorance.

Katy is 8-1 all time in the D1 playoffs with a D1 State Title.

ray1301
12-07-2010, 01:34 PM
Bold: If you have been a Katy fan/player from the period known as the foundation and you continued to follow Katy then you should know Katy introduced themselves to the D1 playoffs before this year. Welcome to D1 is a statement of ignorance.

Katy is 8-1 all time in the D1 playoffs with a D1 State Title.

Eggzactly. Lot's of folks are ignorant of this fact and think that Katy has never won a State Title in D1 or has a very good play-off record in D1. Just plain ignorant.

TheRocket
12-07-2010, 01:39 PM

KT2000, your exactly right about the play where Anderson escaped and hit big Sam for the TD. Two Katy players were blocked into each other or hit each other with one of them getting knocked back and falling right in front another Katy player who was converging on Trey but was taken out of the play by his own player. I had a backside view at the game so I couldn't tell how he escaped but one of the highlight previews clearly shows how that play unfolded!

Kanipes or any player should know that they need to run their route at least 1 yard past the down marker to eliminate any confusion or bad spot scenario's. Believe it or not, you see this in the NFL which I'm sure your aware of, fundamentals, quite simple.

Rook
12-07-2010, 01:44 PM
I don't remember many penalties period, there weren't any pass interference penalties, holding like you mentioned, motion, about all I remember were a couple of false starts ( Pearland last drive ) face mask ( last drive ) and 1 series where Katy was penalized like twice in a row to make it like 3rd and 25 but I can't remember what they were, holding maybe!

From the stat line I saw both teams had 8 Penalties Katy's were for about 40 more yds.

dada
12-07-2010, 01:46 PM
From the stat line I saw both teams had 8 Penalties Katy's were for about 40 more yds.

and all were drive killers....especially the sack on 4th down.

Rook
12-07-2010, 01:48 PM

I doubt the guy played at Katy. How would a Katy guy not know Katy has a D1 State Title? He will probably come back and try and discredit it now...or say he meant something else.

Just remind him Katy is 8-1 all time in D1 Playoffs w/ a State Title.

dada
12-07-2010, 01:51 PM
I doubt the guy played at Katy. How would a Katy guy not know Katy has a D1 State Title? He will probably come back and try and discredit it now...or say he meant something else.

Two of the most critisized schools in 5A have won titles in both classes...SLC and Katy. Who's to say that over the years that the D1 "Power's" in Houston would be were they are if Katy WASN'T in D2.....look at North Shore.....they could have made a run this year.

tigerfan2010
12-07-2010, 01:52 PM
There were 8 for katy and 7 for PL.

The key to these were that two against Katy kept a drive going for PL, one was a 4th down play, another two against Katy took first downs away from our offense and a 3rd one put us needing 25 yards for a first down and forced another punt.

Katy had two from jumping on the OL, two from the WR for holding, two from the defense, one was a PF after the play, the other was PF for face mask, and one more by our FB for blocking below the waist.

I know that PL had one PF, two offsides, one for running into the kicker, not sure on the other three.

The ref's let them play, and like I sated before it didnt have an outcome on the game.

marmer
12-07-2010, 01:56 PM
The ref's let them play, and like I s(t)ated before it didnt have an outcome on the game.

No argument from me about that.

Rook
12-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Eggzactly. Lot's of folks are ignorant of this fact and think that Katy has never won a State Title in D1 or has a very good play-off record in D1. Just plain ignorant.

I posted this before but did you know the SLC and Katy are a combined 14-1 in D1 playoffs. In 3 trips they have combined for 2 Titles.

tigerfan2010
12-07-2010, 02:00 PM
http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr153/dougsowell1965/KatyvsPearlandStats.jpg

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr153/dougsowell1965/KatyvsPearlandStats.jpg

dada
12-07-2010, 02:01 PM
I posted this before but did you know the SLC and Katy are a combined 14-1 in D1 playoffs. In 3 trips they have combined for 2 Titles.

I found the Cinco run through funny "Welcome to D1"...wouldnt it be ironic if Morton Ranch AND Seven Lakes made the playoffs? GUESS who would be D2? lol

Half the people that use the D1/D2 argument dont even know how it works or how it's decided.

ray1301
12-07-2010, 02:06 PM

Yes sir. I did know that

Rook
12-07-2010, 02:07 PM
I was using the stats from TSRN. On memory here but Two things that standout as different were the Penalty yards and Garrison's total. I memory serves they had Garrison at 91 rushing yds.

Does anyone know the Redzone ratios?

BlakeJ
12-07-2010, 02:08 PM
they are!!! good of you to notice.

p.s. it was "slingblade" joseph who was complaining about the lack of holding and # of pass attempts.

Slingblade Joseph??

Nice.

Youre kind of an idiot.

Shut up stoopid. :)

marmer
12-07-2010, 02:15 PM
Cuz he deserved it. :p

:rofl:

no mo cheese
12-07-2010, 02:16 PM
Slingblade Joseph??

Nice.

Youre kind of an idiot.

Shut up stoopid. :)

mmmmkay. .

mmmmustard and biscuits

no mo cheese
12-07-2010, 02:19 PM
http://images.chron.com/photos/2010/12/04/24313307/600xPopupGallery.jpg

Pearland, I think you made a believer of ol slingblade. . .

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

HSftball10
12-07-2010, 02:23 PM
http://images.chron.com/photos/2010/12/04/24313307/600xPopupGallery.jpg

Pearland, I think you made a believer of ol slingblade. . .

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
That's funny....

Rook
12-07-2010, 03:03 PM
That's funny....

Breaking News: Miles Kanipes just got his first big time offer...

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/04_02/talkR0804_800x564.jpg

coachg89
12-07-2010, 03:05 PM

This one's pretty funny. I'm fully aware Katy won in D1 in '97. I was at each of the playoff games that year with the exception of Elsik in round 1 or 2. I was one of many screaming fools as I watched us pound Longview in an "upset" at the Dome. De la Torre was my favorite player off that team, Bucy was a close second (I'm more of an offensive minded fan). I played with one of Heitmann's brothers. I was at the first Katy/BWB game. You haven't seen crazy unless you were at that game. I can remember alot about Katy football, probably before many of our posters became fans (this doesn't prove anything other than the fact that I'm getting old). If you want to get in that conversation, save that one for another board.

The issue at hand is simple: of the 16 teams teams in D1/R3, 6 were ranked in the top 25 at the end of the season. of the 16 teams in D2/R3, 1 was ranked in the top 25 at the end. I'm sure if you pull up last year's brackets, you'd find pretty close the the same thing.

This doesn't take away from the accomplishments of anyone. It was a GREAT game. Pearland won, Katy lost. Fair and square. My team lost. No excuses or complaints. Simple fact, D1 was harder this year than D2 (the only reason D2 was any good last year is because Katy was in it). If you don't believe me, scroll up and pull up the statewide Top 25.

It's a forum. You discuss ideas in a forum. Someone broached the subject and I responded. Why you would think I'd lie is beyond me....

no mo cheese
12-07-2010, 03:07 PM

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/04_02/talkR0804_800x564.jpg

And he still TORCHED ur boys!

dada
12-07-2010, 03:08 PM

Congrats on the win, good luck against Stevens.

no mo cheese
12-07-2010, 03:15 PM
Congrats on the win, good luck against Stevens.

Class

not so much

Rook
12-07-2010, 03:22 PM
This one's pretty funny. I'm fully aware Katy won in D1 in '97. I was at each of the playoff games that year with the exception of Elsik in round 1 or 2. I was one of many screaming fools as I watched us pound Longview in an "upset" at the Dome. De la Torre was my favorite player off that team, Bucy was a close second (I'm more of an offensive minded fan). I played with one of Heitmann's brothers. I was at the first Katy/BWB game. You haven't seen crazy unless you were at that game. I can remember alot about Katy football, probably before many of our posters became fans (this doesn't prove anything other than the fact that I'm getting old). If you want to get in that conversation, save that one for another board.

The issue at hand is simple: of the 16 teams teams in D1/R3, 6 were ranked in the top 25 at the end of the season. of the 16 teams in D2/R3, 1 was ranked in the top 25 at the end. I'm sure if you pull up last year's brackets, you'd find pretty close the the same thing.

This doesn't take away from the accomplishments of anyone. It was a GREAT game. Pearland won, Katy lost. Fair and square. My team lost. No excuses or complaints. Simple fact, D1 was harder this year than D2 (the only reason D2 was any good last year is because Katy was in it). If you don't believe me, scroll up and pull up the statewide Top 25.

It's a forum. You discuss ideas in a forum. Someone broached the subject and I responded. Why you would think I'd lie is beyond me....

I had no qualm with anything you said other then the "welcome to D1 statement". Katy is well beyond welcoming themselves to D1, to the D1 playoffs, and to a D1 title. Been there done it all before last Sat. And when you say welcome to D1 playoffs 9 games to late it leads one to believe you had an ax to grind or you were ignorant of the facts (didn't have the information). I went with the second option. And yes when you say welcome to D1 after the 1st loss, which happens to come after 8 consecutive D1 wins....it does actually take away from the accomplishments of the '97 team when you say Welcome to D1 Katy in 2010.

Rook
12-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Class

not so much

And sling blade is that class? Uh no that is a hypocrite.

Kat-na-hat
12-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Mister No Mo Cheese, put away the poking stick, you might hurt yourself. :). Football ;)

no mo cheese
12-07-2010, 04:02 PM
And sling blade is that class? Uh no that is a hypocrite.
nm

WestlandTiger'95
12-07-2010, 04:28 PM
I keep seein that katy is supposedly 8-1 in D1...somebody may have already posted but that is incorrect.

Dont forget our first trip to state in 94 was also in the D1 bracket.

so we are 4-1 in 94, 5-0 in 97 and 3-1 in '10 for a grand total of 12-2 in D1. Ok, my OCD has been calmed for the day;)

ray1301
12-07-2010, 06:12 PM

I guess you are referring to D2 in Region 3. As I recall Abilene was pretty freakin good last year.

ray1301
12-07-2010, 06:13 PM

Torched I wouldn't say torched. If you are going to comapre that then DY and AT "torched" ur boys

no mo cheese
12-07-2010, 06:25 PM
Torched I wouldn't say torched. If you are going to comapre that then DY and AT "torched" ur boys

you wouldn't say it, but I did. . .TORCHED!!!!

as for my "boys," i can get you a ticket to the alamodome this weekend to watch em. they're in the semi-finals.

he's pretty fast for a midget, huh? hits hard too!

The Original
12-07-2010, 06:41 PM

I think hes confusing Myles Kanipes with Trey Anderson :)

BlakeJ
12-07-2010, 07:07 PM
I think hes confusing Myles Kanipes with Trey Anderson :)

He's probably a she and she is probably mommy Kanipes.

rwilleby
12-07-2010, 07:17 PM
Go get ready for SA... Your beating ad dead horse and we really, really could care less what anyone from with an attitude from Pearland thinks... You try to be a good loser, give props to the winning team and the idiots keep piling on with their one win... Go do something with it and win yourself a state title...

Katy's not going anywhere and maybe we'll get to see you next year... Have your coach get on the list for 2012/2013 preseason and we can see what each team can do... Don't let the D2 stuff keep you from adding us to your list... We take all who care to show up...

KatyTigers
12-07-2010, 07:21 PM
Yep. Katy really fell off offensively these past few games. Once they hit some resistance they never got going for a full half. Our defense did everything they could too. Offense just could never match their intensity.

That comment is a joke right? The defense didn't hold the lead in the 1st half or the last 3 min of the second half.... Come on man!

KatyTigers
12-07-2010, 07:30 PM
Don't know about anybody else, but I was SCARED TO DEATH when Katy got the ball with :47 sec. and 3 TIMEOUTS!!!!!!! I could see #22 gaining 8 to 12 yrds a pop and chain movement stopping the clock. Told my buddy we HAVE got to have a stop or it is all over.

Low and behold, Katy THROWS the ball 3 TIMES :eek:, with the result an interception!!!!!!!

Many, Many props to Katy, The Team, The City and The Community. Even giants stumble sometimes. They have way more hardware than PLand, but we are working on ours as fast as we can. Congratulations Katy seniors.

Jim

We all were thinking the same thing.... Oilers in a prevent and the Tigers have 2 stud runningbacks, 3 timeouts and ONLY need a field goal? COME ON MAN!

ray1301
12-07-2010, 07:36 PM

as for my "boys," i can get you a ticket to the alamodome this weekend to watch em. they're in the semi-finals.

Jeez, can't be a good winner huh? Done with ya.

Good luck Pearland and go win state!

tigerfan2010
12-07-2010, 07:37 PM
That comment is a joke right? The defense didn't hold the lead in the 1st half or the last 3 min of the second half.... Come on man!
If I am not mistake this sputtering offense broke a Katy High record, and it wasnt just one, it was several. We also faught back from 10 points twice and put our team in a position to win....

no mo cheese
12-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Jeez, can't be a good winner huh? Done with ya.

Good luck Pearland and go win state!

this was in response to rook posting a pic of midgets and making reference to a teenager. the point being if he's a lill bow-legged midget as your boy rook implies, what are the katy tigers who couldn't catch him?

now, its past your bedtime, son. goodnight

no mo cheese
12-07-2010, 08:05 PM
If I am not mistake this sputtering offense broke a Katy High record, and it wasnt just one, it was several. We also faught back from 10 points twice and put our team in a position to win....

why didn't "you?"

tigerfan2010
12-07-2010, 08:08 PM
why didn't "you?"

Probably because I was up in the stands....

no mo cheese
12-07-2010, 08:28 PM
Probably because I was up in the stands....

but didn't you say "we faught back. . .?" yes, you did.

the question was in response to your statement that "you" were poised to win. . . why didn't you?

i'm sure if you were not in the stands, but were on the field the outcome would've been much different. child, please

tigerfan2010
12-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Because we got beat, plain and simple.... I am sure that will be your answer in two weeks... now go fall in the river in SA...:)

BlakeJ
12-07-2010, 08:40 PM
this was in response to rook posting a pic of midgets and making reference to a teenager. the point being if he's a lill bow-legged midget as your boy rook implies, what are the katy tigers who couldn't catch him?

no, its past your bedtime, son. goodnight

Rooks responding to your childish slingblade remark.

I think we hit Pearland trailor park gold with this one.

This chick sure talks alot for having ZERO state championships to back her lipstick.

I'm slowly becoming a Stevens fan.

no mo cheese
12-07-2010, 08:43 PM

This chick sure talks alot for having ZERO state championships to back her lipstick.

somehow, we'll be alright w/o ya.

Pearland1
12-07-2010, 08:45 PM

All you guys need to grow up. Saturday's game is over nothing is going to change that. move on with life.

BlakeJ
12-07-2010, 08:46 PM

Who is "we"? You weren't on the field and we've already had the rest of the pearland posters disclaim you. You're kins of by yourself lady.

MemorialMustangs
12-07-2010, 08:47 PM
All you guys need to grow up. Saturday's game is over nothing is going to change that. move on with life.

Theres a life outside of high school football... What? :p

BlakeJ
12-07-2010, 08:48 PM

Just responding to his posts. Thanks.

BlakeJ
12-07-2010, 09:12 PM

During the anthem I looked down at Pearlands sideline...#10 looked awfully familiar...then I remembered where I saw him last....

http://nimg.sulekha.com/sports/original700/llws-2010-8-22-22-10-6.jpg

:yes:

Rook
12-07-2010, 10:16 PM

Yep and maybe they'll win maybe they won't but no matter what they do Katy will still have 6 more state titles and 2 more TOD rings.

As I have said to you many times before... Leave the smack talkin' to those who have the hardware to back it up.

Rook
12-07-2010, 10:22 PM

Why did Rook post the picture of the midgets? Could it have been in response to your sling blade post? What a hypocrite.

6 time state champs, two time TOD, and the team with more wins then anyone in GHA over the last 20 years.

Rook
12-07-2010, 10:24 PM

the question was in response to your statement that "you" were poised to win. . . why didn't you?

i'm sure if you were not in the stands, but were on the field the outcome would've been much different. child, please

You probably don't recognize this because you never knew yours but he isn't a child he is actually a father of a player.

Rook
12-07-2010, 10:27 PM

Who is "we", no one claims you. I haven't seen a single Pearland poster support anything you've said on here. Actually I've seen several mock you and several more have PM'd apologizing for your behavior. If your daddy didn't claim you what makes you think grown men who don't even know you will claim you.

Rook
12-07-2010, 10:32 PM

Bold: Why are you still posting in this thread...hypocrite eh.

Rook
12-07-2010, 10:34 PM
During the anthem I looked down at Pearlands sideline...#10 looked awfully familiar...then I remembered where I saw him last....

http://nimg.sulekha.com/sports/original700/llws-2010-8-22-22-10-6.jpg

:yes:

Ouch

Bass
12-08-2010, 12:15 AM

It took the offense fielding a punt inside Pearland territory for them to finally get amped up enough to score. That score was indicative of Katy's offensive mindset throughout the playoffs. They came out flat four games in a row and it finally cost them against Pearland. We had nothing going in the first quarter, took the lead on two different occasions in the second quarter, but after a busted play to end the half we went right back into a slump. It showed in the second half when we came out on offense and did nothing until we scored with four minutes left in the third. How many drives did Katy start with a twenty-yard run and then follow it up with failing to convert another set of downs?

TheRocket
12-08-2010, 12:57 AM
KT2000, your exactly right about the play where Anderson escaped and hit big Sam for the TD. Two Katy players were blocked into each other or hit each other with one of them getting knocked back and falling right in front another Katy player who was converging on Trey but was taken out of the play by his own player. I had a backside view at the game so I couldn't tell how he escaped but one of the highlight previews clearly shows how that play unfolded!

Kanipes or any player should know that they need to run their route at least 1 yard past the down marker to eliminate any confusion or bad spot scenario's. Believe it or not, you see this in the NFL which I'm sure your aware of, fundamentals, quite simple.

KT2000, I will say this, after watching the replay highlights that dada posted, it appears to me that Knipes did run and catch the ball at least 1 yard past the first down marker like he should've. He's to smart of a player to not do that in such a crucial situation. When he caught the ball, the corner/lb was there immediately but coming back to him from dwonfield and his momentum carried himself and Knipes back at least a yard which put the spot right at the down marker. Seems they should've allowed forward progress and spotted the ball where he caught the ball and was hit rather than where he was pulled/knocked back. I know the angle of the replay isn't staright on but he's clearly more than halfway between the yard lines and the down marker is 2 yards down from the yard lines.

In that same video the coach remarked (6:06) maybe we got rattled in response to a question from the press, something about penalties on offense I believe. Going into the game my thoughts were how will they play from behind if we can apply a little pressure and keep it there. We had several blowouts like Katy but we also played a few close games in that we had to make a play at or near the end of the game to insure victory. Memorial comes to mind even though I believe we were leading the entire game, they came back with a couple of TD's late and we had to run the clock out or score, can't remember which but we had to make some plays. Against Clear Springs, had to score late to win it and they did. The offense is confident enough that they believ if they have a chance to win a game they will. I would bet Katy's offense feels the same way.

The biggest thing Katy did wrong against Pearland was score to quick on their next to last offensive possession. I figured Katy would score late in the 4th when you did all the while I was hoping that you would get in fairly quickly and leave us a couple of minutes, 2 minutes is a lot better than 1
minute late when needing a TD. It's more difficult to ask a high school team to score and chew up the clock but that's what you have to do sometime. I still say that Joe Montana along with Bill Walsh were the best when it came to late game execution. Go back on any 49er game where they won late and they almost always scored with about 10-20 seconds left, always! Didn't matter if they started the last drive with 5, 4 or 2 minutes, they would call plays and execute to the point where they would get in the redzone inside of a minute and they would chew the clock up and score, repeatedly! A lot of teams score to quick at or near the end of the game and that's what Katy did, scored to quick.

TheRocket
12-08-2010, 01:20 AM
I would like to clarify one thing from my last post, the coach used the word rattled not myself, I seriously doubt that Katy was rattled however I will say they may have been a little out of their comfort zone at times during the game. When we get out of our comfort zones we sometimes react differently and make different decisions whether it's in athletic competition, business or everyday work around the house.

ktCarl
12-08-2010, 02:25 AM
Every time I replay this game in my head PLand wins. Oh. It's over.
I hope Santa is good to me this year.

85Roughneck
12-08-2010, 06:13 AM
All I have to say is...

Katy, welcome to Division 1. It's not quite as easy as D2.

:eek:I can't believe someone actually believes this enough to post it ...:rolleyes:

85Roughneck
12-08-2010, 06:20 AM
the d1-d2 debate oscillates back and forth. unless and until the uil fixes it, you'll have to live with the nincompoops who think it matters. slc's one d1 trip meant they won in "the big" school division all the while being smaller than the small school division winner. go figure.

the bolded alone makes squirrel88 and all those that think D1 is always better than D2 nincompoops.

The Original
12-08-2010, 06:21 AM
:eek:I can't believe someone actually believes this enough to post it ...:rolleyes:

D1 Reg. 3 has been much better than D2 in the past decade (excluding Katy).

85Roughneck
12-08-2010, 06:31 AM
Here is what I thought I saw on that play. #10 made the catch, got up with the ball, took it over to the ref who had the spot marked, placed it at the refs foot, but on the wrong side, and the ref moved it.

Nothing there is a delay of the game. The ball was not spotted by one ref and then moved by a player.

Film review could prove me wrong, but that is want I thought I saw. yep, that's what I saw. no penalty required.

HOWEVER, I thought it was arrogant of #10 to do so. It looked as though he was trying to be the referee which makes me think he thinks he is in control of the game, which is not the case. If #10 were my kid I would have him tone it down a bit, but that's just me.

Regardless of all that, #10 is a player, kudos to him and his skills.

ray1301
12-08-2010, 06:43 AM

Son??? Jeez. Dang young whipper-snappers!

Let me tell you SON, you have no idea how old I am. Point is try to be a bit more classy in your posting rather than the , 'na na boo boo' crap.

Gateruner
12-08-2010, 07:54 AM
The biggest thing Katy did wrong against Pearland was score to quick on their next to last offensive possession.

Totally agree with this. My son in law and I both said it when we scored and left 3 minutes on the clock. I was hoping we would keep pounding the run and work that clock down to inside a minute but no luck. I know Joseph has the mentality that when the offense gets the lead he has total faith that the defense will hold it. Just didnt work that way in this game.

Katy will be back, that I am pretty confident in. We will see whoever gets there with us next year.

dada
12-08-2010, 08:05 AM
Totally agree with this. My son in law and I both said it when we scored and left 3 minutes on the clock. I was hoping we would keep pounding the run and work that clock down to inside a minute but no luck. I know Joseph has the mentality that when the offense gets the lead he has total faith that the defense will hold it. Just didnt work that way in this game.

Katy will be back, that I am pretty confident in. We will see whoever gets there with us next year.

Yes, Katy will be back, no doubt about it.

Iheartfootball
12-08-2010, 08:23 AM

I can't disagree more. Saying they scored "too quickly" is like saying your wife is "too pretty", or that pizza is "too good." I understand all too well the concept of ball control, but it is the offense's job is to score. Especially at that point in the game. The fact that they did when they did was a great feat. Katy had established momentum. They simply ran into a team that made a few more plays than them. Period. No shame on either side. Katy will be back. Great program, great staff, great community support, and great players. Recipe for continued success.

Pearland1
12-08-2010, 09:06 AM
This is for all my Katy friends enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3xsDv6yCnY

dada
12-08-2010, 09:08 AM

Pearland in 14-0, one game away from State......was LAST week the highlight of the season?

BlakeJ
12-08-2010, 09:16 AM
Pearland in 14-0, one game away from State......was LAST week the highlight of the season?

Correction...the highlight of Pearlands exerything existance...city...football...everything.

They need to celebrate...look at the roster...the offense is graduating...and the defense was never good.

After this year...its over for awhile.

dada
12-08-2010, 09:22 AM
Correction...the highlight of Pearlands exerything existance...city...football...everything.

They need to celebrate...look at the roster...the offense is graduating...and the defense was never good.

After this year...its over for awhile.

The sad thing is......Stupid Seven Lakes might keep us from a possible re-match....I mean....after losing to the "Big Boys" Katy will CHOOSE to go back to D2.......scardy cats!

Maybe it's just me, but I think I would celebrate more on the State Semifinal appearance than the Regional Championship.....

Are you going to Waco Saturday?

tigerfan2010
12-08-2010, 09:41 AM

You might want to keep that close by, you will be needing it in a few weeks, you will not be able to join the lounge, it is full already.

Pearland1
12-08-2010, 09:46 AM
You might want to keep that close by, you will be needing it in a few weeks, you will not be able to join the lounge, it is full already.

You of little faith. Trey Anderson was the key factor in the Katy game will be in the semi final and in the finals.

http://images.maxpreps.com/site_images/editorial/article/3/b/6/3b6bfaef-87cb-df11-9889-001cc494a4ac/f3d3bf85-15cc-df11-9889-001cc494a4ac_original.jpg

Squirrel88
12-08-2010, 09:46 AM

the bolded alone makes squirrel88 and all those that think D1 is always better than D2 nincompoops.

D1 Reg. 3 has been much better than D2 in the past decade (excluding Katy).

My only thoughts are that some of the teams that are out there in the last 10 years wouldn't have had a shot at a state title if there would have been only one division. IMHO Katy wouldn't have had a state ring in 2003 if there was only one division. I am not sure about any of the other years.

With the exception of Katy most schools that really don't do so well during the normal season (because of their size) go D2. And with the addition of the 4th team in ever ones district going to the playoffs is just a joke.

This year does anyone really see any team beating Pearland, Katy or North Shore in Division 2?

I am just waiting for the UIL not to let points being scored during the season, because all of our kids are winners! :eek:

dada
12-08-2010, 09:47 AM
You of little faith. Trey Anderson was the key factor in the Katy game will be in the semi final and in the finals.

Congrats on beating Katy...good luck the next two weeks.

Pearland1
12-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Congrats on beating Katy...good luck the next two weeks.

Thanks dada!!!!

dada
12-08-2010, 09:51 AM
My only thoughts are that some of the teams that are out there in the last 10 years wouldn't have had a shot at a state title if there would have been only one division. IMHO Katy wouldn't have had a state ring in 2003 if there was only one division. I am not sure about any of the other years.

With the exception of Katy most schools that really don't do so well during the normal season (because of their size) go D2. And with the addition of the 4th team in ever ones district going to the playoffs is just a joke.

This year does anyone really see any team beating Pearland, Katy or North Shore in Division 2?

I am just waiting for the UIL not to let points being scored during the season, because all of our kids are winners! :eek:

But it works both was....who's to say that some of the teams that have had success in R3D1 the previous years would have had the success THEY had if Katy was D1 those years? For instance......North Shore this season was good enough to make the finals IMO......if Katy was D2, maybe they are playing Stevens this weekend.

TheRocket
12-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Every time I replay this game in my head PLand wins. Oh. It's over.
I hope Santa is good to me this year.

Not sure if your being sarcastic but I'll readily admit back in 08 I replayed our game against Hightower ( regional championship ) several times and of course we lost each time. That one hurt because even though we made it to the semis in 06 I believe with Proctor and Whittaker I thought the 08 team was better and really had a shot at winning it all. There were a few breaks and big plays in that game and I believe Hightower got most of if not all of them, don't get me wrong, they were very very good but so were we, that's the way the way it goes sometimes. I'm sure most Katy fans believe that Pearland got most of the breaks and made the big plays last Saurday, however on any given day they could beat the Oilers.

The sad part is that you feel for the kids who worked so hard for several years to get where they were and most of all for the kids who played their last game. It's a lot easier to walk away from it when you just won a championship rather than thinking you'll win one and then get beat.

dada
12-08-2010, 10:04 AM
IMO, the top teams in recent History in R3D1 and Katy's recent record vs those teams
North Shore 3-1
Cinco Ranch 10-1
Hightower 3-0
Pearland 0-1
West Brook? 3-0
Lamar 0-0

So other than speculation....I don't see anything to prove that Katy wouldnt be as successful in D1

BlakeJ
12-08-2010, 10:06 AM
The sad thing is......Stupid Seven Lakes might keep us from a possible re-match....I mean....after losing to the "Big Boys" Katy will CHOOSE to go back to D2.......scardy cats!

Maybe it's just me, but I think I would celebrate more on the State Semifinal appearance than the Regional Championship.....

Are you going to Waco Saturday?

Not sure...wife says no...still trying to get the pass.

If Karma is a real thing....Mykkele Thompson will be showcasing his talents in Dallas in 2 weeks. Gaurantee if that happens No Mo Cheese will be posting No Mo....Pearland 1 will remember he's a Pearland fan...and Yellow Oiler and a couple of the other "humble" Pearland posters will be here giving congrats to the winning team. :)

I really wanna see Trinity/STP.

dada
12-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Not sure if your being sarcastic but I'll readily admit back in 08 I replayed our game against Hightower ( regional championship ) several times and of course we lost each time. That one hurt because even though we made it to the semis in 06 I believe with Proctor and Whittaker I thought the 08 team was better and really had a shot at winning it all. There were a few breaks and big plays in that game and I believe Hightower got most of if not all of them, don't get me wrong, they were very very good but so were we, that's the way the way it goes sometimes. I'm sure most Katy fans believe that Pearland got most of the breaks and made the big plays last Saurday, however on any given day they could beat the Oilers.

The sad part is that you feel for the kids who worked so hard for several years to get where they were and most of all for the kids who played their last game. It's a lot easier to walk away from it when you just won a championship rather than thinking you'll win one and then get beat.

I know it's cliche, but it's a game of inches....literally
The pass to Knaipes before half time on the tip of his fingers
Ukwuachu's 4 inch height advantage on the last TD
The 4th down converison
Anderson escaping on Katy defender and then that defender taking out the other 2 in pursuit.

Like I said..Pearland made ONE MORE play than Katy......

dada
12-08-2010, 10:10 AM

If Karma is a real thing....Mykkele Thompson will be showcasing his talents in Dallas in 2 weeks. Gaurantee if that happens No Mo Cheese will be posting No Mo....Pearland 1 will remember he's a Pearland fan...and Yellow Oiler and a couple of the other "humble" Pearland posters will be here giving congrats to the winning team. :)

Working on my pass too...if all else fails I think Refugio is playing at Berry Saturday...lol

BlakeJ
12-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Donovonn Young and Illinois offer story.

http://illinois.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?ReturnTo=&sid=&script=content.asp&cid=1162583&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=

Dawg82
12-08-2010, 10:12 AM

THIS will be a great game...I'm going with STP by 10.

dada
12-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Donovonn Young and Illinois offer story.

http://illinois.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?ReturnTo=&sid=&script=content.asp&cid=1162583&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=

Isnt Illinois playing Baylor in the Texas Bowl? I want tickets

BlakeJ
12-08-2010, 10:17 AM

Seeing both...RRSP has been my #1 team all year...but the gap between them and the rest of the big programs this year is very slim.

Wouldnt be surprised to see anything happen here.

slcdragonfan
12-08-2010, 10:20 AM

:confused:
I don't get that. Please explain how DII and don't do well relate? You go DII based upon enrollment of the playoff teams. It has nothing to do WHATSOEVER with how well they do?

slcdragonfan
12-08-2010, 10:22 AM

:eek:

Dawg82
12-08-2010, 10:26 AM
:eek:

Yes. Based of my seeing both teams like BlakeJ says he has also. Granted, I only saw 1 game from each, but schemes, trends, and talent can be gleaned from 1 "seen" game and stats. Not always right, but my personal impression...:)

slcdragonfan
12-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Yes. Based of my seeing both teams like BlakeJ says he has also. Granted, I only saw 1 game from each, but schemes, trends, and talent can be gleaned from 1 "seen" game and stats. Not always right, but my personal impression...:)

I have seen both as well. I saw the same one Blake saw earlier, in fact was there sitting with him.

I have seen ET on TV, but saw the ET/Coppell game in person.

Personally, I do not think there is a 10 point difference between them. JMO. I can see RRSP winning, they are that good. But I also could have seen Allen or Coppell winning, in fact I thought Coppell would pull it off until a certain reverse pass play happened.

The DeSoto butt-whoopin' implies they are even better, so could happen.

A great "MUST GO TO" game for the ages. We have had some great football this year folks.:)

TheRocket
12-08-2010, 10:35 AM
I know it's cliche, but it's a game of inches....literally
The pass to Knaipes before half time on the tip of his fingers
Ukwuachu's 4 inch height advantage on the last TD
The 4th down converison
Anderson escaping on Katy defender and then that defender taking out the other 2 in pursuit.

Like I said..Pearland made ONE MORE play than Katy......

I agree and more often than not, you'll see big time games being decided by and inch here or an inch there, so it is. The boy defending Big Sam at the end of the game was right there, in the replay he was stride for stride but just didn't have the physical size to get to the ball. If the ball was thrown a few inches shorter or the cornerback/safety was a few inches taller, sure enough, those few inches go a long way in football and pretty much all athletics.

BlakeJ
12-08-2010, 10:42 AM
I have seen both as well. I saw the same one Blake saw earlier, in fact was there sitting with him.

Personally, I do not think there is a 10 point difference between them. JMO. I can see RRSP winning, they are that good. But I also could have seen Allen or Coppell winning, in fact I thought Coppell would pull it off until a certain reverse pass play happened.

A great "MUST GO TO" game for the ages. We have had some great football this year folks.:)

I agree. Trinity will be the favorites as they should be, but IMO RRSP is better. Not a whole lot better. I think RRSP wins this one by less than 7. I have it something like 34-28 RRSP. I dont think this will be a high scoring game. Both play into the strength of the other..but both are to good to shut down one another. Im hoping I can get a pass.

ray1301
12-08-2010, 10:44 AM
But it works both was....who's to say that some of the teams that have had success in R3D1 the previous years would have had the success THEY had if Katy was D1 those years? For instance......North Shore this season was good enough to make the finals IMO......if Katy was D2, maybe they are playing Stevens this weekend.

And.. all those SLC teams with the exception of 1 were D2. Allen a good program last year was D2.

So the D1 vs. D2 argument rarely holds up under scrutiny.

Dawg82
12-08-2010, 10:44 AM

As fans of the game, and watching teams for various reasons, what's you're take on the spread--given all things being equal? (Probably better this convo is here instead of the other thread anyway...:D).

I like STP's scheme and necessary balance against ET's secondary. I also like them peaking at the right time as ET is falling off a little. PM if u want...don't know what's appropriate as a fairly new member to this site. Thanks.

Rook
12-08-2010, 10:45 AM

Congrats on beating Katy, that one time. Good luck next year.

Rook
12-08-2010, 10:51 AM
Isnt Illinois playing Baylor in the Texas Bowl? I want tickets

Did Sam get any PT? Was he redshirted?

BlakeJ
12-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Did Sam get any PT? Was he redshirted?

I believe he was a starter on special teams. No redshirt

tigerfan2010
12-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Refugio vs Lexington will be a great match up close by, fun watching those smaller schools. A lot of talent on that Refugio team.

Rook
12-08-2010, 11:00 AM
I agree and more often than not, you'll see big time games being decided by and inch here or an inch there, so it is. The boy defending Big Sam at the end of the game was right there, in the replay he was stride for stride but just didn't have the physical size to get to the ball. If the ball was thrown a few inches shorter or the cornerback/safety was a few inches taller, sure enough, those few inches go a long way in football and pretty much all athletics.

Hugh...I guess that is the benefit of winning, everything is seen through rose colored glasses when you win.

Congrats on beating Katy! That was a huge program defining win.

KT2000
12-08-2010, 11:01 AM
Yes, Katy will be back, no doubt about it.

Katy has several areas to address, mainly the skill positions, this off-season. I'm not sure what is moving up from the sub-varsity ranks. I know there are about 3 other sophomore running backs along with Adam Taylor. The sophomore class is stacked at RB. Some of those players might need to move positions in order to help fill the secondary void, and also because they'd be backing up Taylor at RB for the next two years.

Where does Kyle Fulks play more- offense or defense? Katy had one of the fastest players on the field in every game it played this year, but no one really knew it because Fulks was playing defense for most of the season and didn't get a second chance at returning kicks after his fumble in game one against North Shore. I think he will play both, but has a chance to make a bigger impact on offense.

Katy will need to find its next best crop of DBs.

The skill positions will go a long way to determining how successful Katy is next season because Katy returns a pretty good nucleus everywhere else. The skill positions are the places no coach can "plug and play." You've either got it or you don't.

Rook
12-08-2010, 11:02 AM
As fans of the game, and watching teams for various reasons, what's you're take on the spread--given all things being equal? (Probably better this convo is here instead of the other thread anyway...:D).

I like STP's scheme and necessary balance against ET's secondary. I also like them peaking at the right time as ET is falling off a little. PM if u want...don't know what's appropriate as a fairly new member to this site. Thanks.

How about if the over/under was 80, what would you take?

dada
12-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Katy has several areas to address, mainly the skill positions, this off-season. I'm not sure what is moving up from the sub-varsity ranks. I know there are about 3 other sophomore running backs along with Adam Taylor. The sophomore class is stacked at RB. Some of those players might need to move positions in order to help fill the secondary void, and also because they'd be backing up Taylor at RB for the next two years.

Where does Kyle Fulks play more- offense or defense? Katy had one of the fastest players on the field in every game it played this year, but no one really knew it because Fulks was playing defense for most of the season and didn't get a second chance at returning kicks after his fumble in game one against North Shore. I think he will play both, but has a chance to make a bigger impact on offense.

Katy will need to find its next best crop of DBs.

The skill positions will go a long way to determining how successful Katy is next season because Katy returns a pretty good nucleus everywhere else. The skill positions are the places no coach can "plug and play." You've either got it or you don't.
He was one of the fastest kids in the COUNTRY....no exaggeration.
Good stuff...I just posted something similar up in the "Katy" team thread.

Dawg82
12-08-2010, 11:09 AM
How about if the over/under was 80, what would you take?

Speaking in those terms, I'd say the o/u would be 70 and give STP 10. O/U 80 or more, I'd give STP 3.

dada
12-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Refugio vs Lexington will be a great match up close by, fun watching those smaller schools. A lot of talent on that Refugio team.

Yeah....I'm thinking about pulling out the Katy gear ONE more time and going to this game...lol

slcdragonfan
12-08-2010, 11:24 AM

I see it as a dead heat. I would give 1 point to ET for experience due to slightly deeper runs. But RRSP is VERY hungry this year.:)
I think a team with balance (Allen/Coppell) has the best chance of defeating ET. If there is any weakness, it is their secondary. But RRSP's "passing" QB is out, they have depended upon the rush in recent weeks, correct? Strength plays against strength. Now, RRSP's defense is pretty strong against the rush as well soooo.....

Look for more BC play where RRSP HAS to key on him. That reverse roll-out pass/run play is perfect with him. Heck, make it just a BC roll-out pass/run. Everyone is afraid to let him into the second level (for good reason) so the DB's either freeze or creep up releasing their man. THEY MUST BE VERY DISCIPLINED AND STAY WITH THEIR COVERAGE and rely on the LB's and DL to cover him or they get torched. I have seen it time and again (TV games and the Coppell game and the Allen game).

ray1301
12-08-2010, 12:22 PM
The matchup on paper favors STP IMO. I see STP offense as a super-charged Pearland offense. Similar offense similar schemes.

Trinity having Brandon Carter makes the difference here. I know the team is more than one person but BC makes the difference. This is too close to call but I see STP winning this by 3

BlakeJ
12-08-2010, 01:14 PM
The matchup on paper favors STP IMO. I see STP offense as a super-charged Pearland offense. Similar offense similar schemes.

Trinity having Brandon Carter makes the difference here. I know the team is more than one person but BC makes the difference. This is too close to call but I see STP winning this by 3

STP = North Shore

Pearland = Coppell

I dont see very many similarities in STP/Pearland scheme wise if any at all.

ray1301
12-08-2010, 01:17 PM

STP = North Shore

Pearland = Coppell

I dont see very many similarities in STP/Pearland scheme wise if any at all.

I do, but just MO.

BlakeJ
12-08-2010, 01:21 PM
I do, but just MO.

Interesting. :)

Dawg82
12-08-2010, 01:26 PM
I do, but just MO.

Ditto.
STP can be NS or Pearland. Pearland might prefer to be STP--or not--but can be Pearland. NS is like LP (and some might say Katy this year) and just wants a semblence of a passing game. ;)

There are minor deviations in scheme between Pearland and STP given available personnel.

BlakeJ
12-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Ditto.
STP can be NS or Pearland. Pearland might prefer to be STP--or not--but can be Pearland. NS is like LP (and some might say Katy this year) and just wants a semblence of a passing game. ;)

There are minor deviations in scheme between Pearland and STP given available personnel.

I guess I dont see it.

RRSP to me looks like a primary zone read team who sometimes plays out of the I.

Pearland to me looks like a split between the spread wide open and I.

TheRocket
12-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Hugh...I guess that is the benefit of winning, everything is seen through rose colored glasses when you win.

Congrats on beating Katy! That was a huge program defining win.

Not sure what you mean by seeing through rose colored glasses. What I said was that a couple of inches either way is what made the difference in this and many big games, doesn't matter what side of the score you were on. If the cornerback was 6'3" and the WR was 5'9" Pearland may not have converted that last play! Simple enough, Pearland wins by inches or Katy loses by inches, could've been the other way around.

Winning or losing by inches and football being a game of inches is what we were talking about.

Appreciate your congrats, and the same goes to the Katy Tigers, I'm sure most of Pearland would say the same!

Rook
12-08-2010, 05:02 PM
Not sure what you mean by seeing through rose colored glasses. What I said was that a couple of inches either way is what made the difference in this and many big games, doesn't matter what side of the score you were on. If the cornerback was 6'3" and the WR was 5'9" Pearland may not have converted that last play! Simple enough, Pearland wins by inches or Katy loses by inches, could've been the other way around.

Winning or losing by inches and football being a game of inches is what we were talking about.

Appreciate your congrats, and the same goes to the Katy Tigers, I'm sure most of Pearland would say the same!

Was that ball under thrown?

Are you saying "Big Sam" out jumped the DB? or are you saying the DB miss timed his jump?

I would love to see clean video of that play.

Dawg82
12-08-2010, 05:13 PM

Are you saying "Big Sam" out jumped the DB? or are you saying the DB miss timed his jump?

My perspective...no, yes, no. Too many Katy folks are focusing on the last drive. The game was lost much earlier--possibly games earlier. The last drive would merely have been to extend.

Again, my opinion as an outside observer. No slam to either team, coaches, or refs. Both have had excellent seasons and should be proud of accomplishments. I'm sure both will be back again in the near future.

Gomer93'KHS
12-08-2010, 05:16 PM
My perspective...no, yes, no. Too many Katy folks are focusing on the last drive. The game was lost much earlier. The last drive would merely have been to extend.

Again, my opinion as an outside observer. No slam to either team, coaches, or refs.

I would have to disagree with that statement above about the game being lost much earlier. Katy put themselves in a position to win and the nice pass to the 6'4 receiver/D-end was the game winner. Pearland made less mistakes than we did and we paid the price for it on the scoreboard. I would certainly not say it was over before that play happened. Just my O.

Dawg82
12-08-2010, 05:28 PM
I would have to disagree with that statement above about the game being lost much earlier. Katy put themselves in a position to win and the nice pass to the 6'4 receiver/D-end was the game winner. Pearland made less mistakes than we did and we paid the price for it on the scoreboard. I would certainly not say it was over before that play happened. Just my O.

Made observations about mistakes, peaking, etc. before this game. Made it clear Katy 2010 was making an UNCHARACTERISTIC number of errors through the last 4 games. Made mention to NOT let Pearland be within 1 score of Katy at end of game. Some Katy fans and admins on this board recognized concerns and some others assured the one score difference wouldn't be an issue.

TrojanHorse03
12-08-2010, 06:48 PM
Where does Kyle Fulks play more- offense or defense? Katy had one of the fastest players on the field in every game it played this year, but no one really knew it because Fulks was playing defense for most of the season and didn't get a second chance at returning kicks after his fumble in game one against North Shore.

I was just sure that Katy would draw that speed demon out of the holster on offense, on unsuspecting playoff opponents when they needed. Isn't he faster than Michael Fuda?

WestlandTiger'95
12-08-2010, 07:25 PM
I was just sure that Katy would draw that speed demon out of the holster on offense, on unsuspecting playoff opponents when they needed. Isn't he faster than Michael Fuda?

yes he is on the track....we have yet to see Kyle's real "football" speed. That was the difference with fuda...very fast on the track but seemed faster on the field. While the pads slowed everybody else down...they were like a red cape and leotard for Mr. Fuda.

Kyle has world class speed in all seriousness....if he were to take his track career very serious, we could see him win a medal in the 2016 olympic games:eek::eek:

Dawg82
12-08-2010, 07:48 PM
yes he is on the track....we have yet to see Kyle's real "football" speed. That was the difference with fuda...very fast on the track but seemed faster on the field. While the pads slowed everybody else down...they were like a red cape and leotard for Mr. Fuda.

Kyle has world class speed in all seriousness....if he were to take his track career very serious, we could see him win a medal in the 2016 olympic games:eek::eek:

And that would be fantastic! We have one from over here (K. Clements) and another y'all might remember (K. Perkins) who's playing in the BoSox org. now. Interesting that neither chose football. Both were outstanding students...

Mong Hu
12-08-2010, 07:50 PM

Do you know what events he runs and what kind of times he has? I am just curious as I am also a track coach.

TheRocket
12-08-2010, 08:12 PM

Rook, the last play was only mentioned as an example of how football is a game of inches.

Concerning the play it appeared to me that it was a pretty good throw and Big Sam simply out jumped the cornerback for the ball. Because of his height and length he probably didn't have to jump but why not make sure, go up and get it. The DB played it as good as he could've, that's my take, the only thing he could've done differently was pull or hold Sam down before the ball got there and end up getting penalized.

Go to the Katy, Pearland highlight thread, there is a couple of replays that show that play quite clearly!

t00 playa
12-08-2010, 08:28 PM
All I have to say is...

Katy, welcome to Division 1. It's not quite as easy as D2.

I wouldnt be talking like this... katy has a 3-1 record against us.......we have no room to talk really.... and im not gonna live off of other teams beating the team that we have trouble beating...... katy really has nothing to no reason to be defensive....they have shown that they can beat anyone at any time...no matter what the division is.......i would be more focused on us not being able to win the region more times than we have rather than whether katy is d1 or not.... they have the titles..... we dont... we are 1-3 against them....they did not get blown out by pearland.... a lot of things went right for pearland that day....it just was one of those games...not saying pearland got lucky....but it seemed they got big play after big play when they needed it.... thats just the way it goes....:eek:

Yellow Oiler
12-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Rook, the last play was only mentioned as an example of how football is a game of inches.

Concerning the play it appeared to me that it was a pretty good throw and Big Sam simply out jumped the cornerback for the ball. Because of his height and length he probably didn't have to jump but why not make sure, go up and get it. The DB played it as good as he could've, that's my take, the only thing he could've done differently was pull or hold Sam down before the ball got there and end up getting penalized.

Go to the Katy, Pearland highlight thread, there is a couple of replays that show that play quite clearly!

I don't think it was under thrown, but the DB turned the wrong way. I will have to watch it again, but the DB did everything he could from where he was when the ball arrived.

Jim

BlakeJ
12-08-2010, 09:26 PM
I wouldnt be talking like this... katy has a 3-1 record against us.......we have no room to talk really.... and im not gonna live off of other teams beating the team that we have trouble beating...... katy really has nothing to no reason to be defensive....they have shown that they can beat anyone at any time...no matter what the division is.......i would be more focused on us not being able to win the region more times than we have rather than whether katy is d1 or not.... they have the titles..... we dont... we are 1-3 against them....they did not get blown out by pearland.... a lot of things went right for pearland that day....it just was one of those games...not saying pearland got lucky....but it seemed they got big play after big play when they needed it.... thats just the way it goes....:eek:

Will you marry me?

ktCarl
12-08-2010, 09:31 PM
Will you marry me?

He's got a pretty wife and we owe him a meal next year. :cool:

Rook
12-08-2010, 10:03 PM

I'm sorry sir but I respectfully disagree.

Again, congrats to Pearland on a tremendous program defining win.

ark20
12-08-2010, 10:05 PM
10.72 100
21.43 200

Please note this is FAT timing.

Do you know what events he runs and what kind of times he has? I am just curious as I am also a track coach.

TheRocket
12-08-2010, 10:16 PM
I'm sorry sir but I respectfully disagree.

Again, congrats to Pearland on a tremendous program defining win.

Don't know what you disagree on but that's certainly okay by me, I'm just stating an opinion, am I right, am I wrong, not sure there's a correct answer to some of the games we watch/play and the ultimate outcome.

Thanks once again!!

ark20
12-08-2010, 10:29 PM
A lot of us was hopeing for them to let him loose but it didn't happen...

mike03car
12-08-2010, 11:05 PM
nm, the nut was already put in his place.

mike03car
12-08-2010, 11:31 PM
the d1-d2 debate oscillates back and forth. unless and until the uil fixes it, you'll have to live with the nincompoops who think it matters. slc's one d1 trip meant they won in "the big" school division all the while being smaller than the small school division winner. go figure.

Yup, its alot of times it boils down to which schools in the district make the playoffs. Last year, Abilene was a game result away (between two other district teams) from being in the Div 1 playoffs. The road to the Alamodome would not have had Abilene going through the #1 ranked team (Cedar Hill) in Div 2.

62tiger
12-08-2010, 11:40 PM
Since it is my 15 yr kid being discussed I thought I would give my 2 cents.

He turned and ran with the kid until the WR looked back for the ball. He then turned and looked back inside to find the ball and went up with the WR. The ball was thrown about as good as it could be thrown on that play. My son is just over 6' and while he may not have timed his jump perfectly, I do not think he could have got a hand on it anyway. If that ball was another foot in any direction it is probably incomplete. Or possibly intercepted.

As for the comment that he should have taken a pass interference penalty.....C'mon.

Up until the kid caught the ball he and everyone else still thought he had a shot at making the play.

Did it cost us the game? of course. It was the last points scored. But there were 6 to 8 other plays that helped put Katy in the position of being in a 1 score game throughout the game.

I for one am very proud of him and the way he has handled this entire thing. We even had a good laugh while discussing the awesome pub he got while getting his picture on the front page of the Chronicle Sports giving up the winning score.

Sometimes we win, sometimes we lose. He lost that battle, but he will win more than not during his FB career. And that is only a Dads opinion, but I have faith in his abilities and work ethic.

Good luck to all left playing and I hope all the boys stay healthy

Dawg82
12-08-2010, 11:52 PM

He turned and ran with the kid until the WR looked back for the ball. He then turned and looked back inside to find the ball and went up with the WR. The ball was thrown about as good as it could be thrown on that play. My son is just over 6' and while he may not have timed his jump perfectly, I do not think he could have got a hand on it anyway. If that ball was another foot in any direction it is probably incomplete. Or possibly intercepted.

As for the comment that he should have taken a pass interference penalty.....C'mon.

Up until the kid caught the ball he and everyone else still thought he had a shot at making the play.

Did it cost us the game? of course. It was the last points scored. But there were 6 to 8 other plays that helped put Katy in the position of being in a 1 score game throughout the game.

I for one am very proud of him and the way he has handled this entire thing. We even had a good laugh while discussing the awesome pub he got while getting his picture on the front page of the Chronicle Sports giving up the winning score.

Sometimes we win, sometimes we lose. He lost that battle, but he will win more than not during his FB career. And that is only a Dads opinion, but I have faith in his abilities and work ethic.

Way to go Dad and many kudo's. Been there too. Agree ball was placed pretty well...he probably couldn't have gotten a hand on it as it was...DISAGREE ON COSTING THE GAME PART, EVEN IF IT WAS LAST SCORE...

He has games to play in the future and can "avenge himself." :)

mike03car
12-08-2010, 11:59 PM
Haack is capable of throwing the ball. If he is not a drop back passer it is because he has not practiced being one, he is certainly capable from what I saw last year in the Abilene game, a very impressive performance considering the circumstances.

We were impressed with him last year, especially being a Soph and only inserted as starter a game or two before the final, iirc.

mike03car
12-09-2010, 12:02 AM

I can only say this:

:rock::rock::rock::rock:

TheRocket
12-09-2010, 12:14 AM

62tiger, I've said the same over and over, the throw was about as good a throw that a QB could make and that the CB was right there with the receiver. The CB did everything he could other than take a penalty which I didn't say he should do that. I said that was about the only way out that I could see when a play is executed as well as that one was. I was going to say that being a soph he was probably 15 or 16 and when your going up against a senior who could or is 18 or 19 years of age, the physical difference can be hard to overcome, in this case your talking about several inches not only in height but also in length which I also mentioned in earlier posts. If I would've mentioned age someone would've come back and told me to quit making excuses for the kid.

I will say this, to trust in a Soph in such a big game speaks volumes about the kid and the coach. On the flip side, the boy who returned the last kickoff to midfield for Pearland is also a Soph. Again, to have the coach put that boy in that position speaks volumes about the kid and the coach who is showing a lot of faith in an underclassman!

Your kid couldn't have done any better and I said that several times over and over, he has no reason what so ever to hang his head. You simply cannot defend a perfect play, you just can't, again, my opinion!

mike03car
12-09-2010, 12:18 AM
You simply cannot defend a perfect play, you just can't, again, my opinion!

We see it several times on Sundays by the best QBs on the planet; there is no defense against the perfect pass.

TheRocket
12-09-2010, 12:23 AM

62tiger, what did I say above, "the Db played it as good as he could've, that's my take, the only thing he could've done differently was was pull or hold Sam down before the ball got there."

Once again, I didn't say he should've held Sam I said about the only thing he could've done, not should've...........sorry if you misunderstood what I said about taking a penalty. I will say this, sometimes taking a PI penalty is an only option and certainly you know they do that in college and the NFL!

It's all good and I would be proud if that was my boy playing defense on that play because he was right there like he should've been!

TheRocket
12-09-2010, 12:25 AM
We see it several times on Sundays by the best QBs on the planet; there is no defense against the perfect pass.

Thanks mike03car, been starting to wonder about my own sanity for the last few minutes!!

TheRocket
12-09-2010, 01:02 AM

62tiger, here is an earlier quote that I made about that play with your boy defending. I said he was right there, stride for stride but just didn't have the physical size to get to the ball, ( Sam is a big boy, 6'5' and arms even longer not to mention he has hands like 5 gallon buckets ).

Coach Heath said that #11 on defense was making big plays all over the field for Katy, that's why we went to the other side of the field late in the game. That's the reason they went at your boy late in the game, they just wanted to stay away from older brother ( I guess )!

Have a good night.........

dada
12-09-2010, 07:44 AM

NO.....LEROY is MINE remember?:D

He played it perfectly......reminds me on 2008 Cinco Ranch. Who was it? Colt or Sam? played the ball perfectly, was just 3-4 inches shorter than the WR. He's only a Soph.....and will be OK.....

62tiger
12-09-2010, 08:04 AM
NO.....LEROY is MINE remember?:D

He played it perfectly......reminds me on 2008 Cinco Ranch. Who was it? Colt or Sam? played the ball perfectly, was just 3-4 inches shorter than the WR. He's only a Soph.....and will be OK.....

CR in 2008 was actually Van. I need to beat those kids!;)

dada
12-09-2010, 08:09 AM
CR in 2008 was actually Van. I need to beat those kids!;)

LOL.....Like Q, he did everything perfect...just out jumped by a 6'6 and 6'5 guy. Q is gonna be down right scary when he hits his growth spurt, already over 6 ft.

mike03car
12-09-2010, 08:26 AM
The kid reminds me of Drew Brees from Westlake.
Who dat? :p

E-Vol-ution
12-09-2010, 08:53 AM

Dude....your kid didn't cost Katy the game.
Not even close.......Pearland was able to put points on the board and Katy put up 3 points less.
That wasn't a 38 point td........
People always will pick apart a game after a loss.
Bottomline, it was a team loss....and the coaches take this "L" also.
Won't be the first or last time........it's football.
Shake it off..........you can't think too long about one run, pass play, call, loss or win.
(The only thing that could have altered a play like that is a rake move)

mike03car
12-09-2010, 09:07 AM
The enrollment in your school does not have much to do with how good your football team is (most everyone agrees with that).

Can I get an AMEN to that, brothers and sisters!?!

This year's Longview, Steele, and Guyer - all playing this weekend in 5A semifinals and were 4A last year - are a perfect testament to this statement. Longview was runner-up, Steele in second round to champion Lake Travis, and Guyer bowed out to Longview in the semi-finals. In addition, 3A Brownwood is, by most statewide 11-man rankings, top 10 across all classes, and a couple say top 5. MaxPreps has Brownwood as 4th in Texas and 18th in the nation. After personally witnessing them dismantle previously undefeated Monahans last week, I am not suprised at the 4th and 18th ranking.

This year and last, the stronger of the programs (based on the year's state rankings) all fell in D1.

2009 playoffs began and entered round 3 with D2 Cedar Hill as #1 in the state and at least top 5 in all national polls. I don't remember where Katy was ranked but it was no doubt top 5 in the state. Abilene was on the edge of breaking into the state top 25. After the Eagles shocked the Longhorns 41-17 in round 3, they vaulted to the mid teens of the state top 25 and gradually moved into top 5 as the playoffs continued. Katy was either 1st or 2d going into the championship game. When new rankings came out after the final weekend, most rankings had Abilene 1st in state and 2nd nationally.

Sorry, you said they ALL fell in D1... ;)

mike03car
12-09-2010, 09:13 AM

It takes discipline, teamwork, determination, technique, and THEN enough strength-stamina-weight-quickness to be a successful offensive line. We got compliments last year from opposing teams and coaches on how well our OL blocked together but they were never a "big" line. The OL and how they did it was just as much if not more a factor than the skill players to winning it all.

E-Vol-ution
12-09-2010, 09:22 AM
Can I get an AMEN to that, brothers and sisters!?!

This year's Longview, Steele, and Guyer - all playing this weekend in 5A semifinals and were 4A last year - are a perfect testament to this statement. Longview was runner-up, Steele in second round to champion Lake Travis, and Guyer bowed out to Longview in the semi-finals. In addition, 3A Brownwood is, by most statewide 11-man rankings, top 10 across all classes, and a couple say top 5. MaxPreps has Brownwood as 4th in Texas and 18th in the nation. After personally witnessing them dismantle previously undefeated Monahans last week, I am not suprised at the 4th and 18th ranking.

2009 playoffs began and entered round 3 with D2 Cedar Hill as #1 in the state and at least top 5 in all national polls. I don't remember where Katy was ranked but it was no doubt top 5 in the state. Abilene was on the edge of breaking into the state top 25. After the Eagles shocked the Longhorns 41-17 in round 3, they vaulted to the mid teens of the state top 25 and gradually moved into top 5 as the playoffs continued. Katy was either 1st or 2d going into the championship game. When new rankings came out after the final weekend, most rankings had Abilene 1st in state and 2nd nationally.

Sorry, you said they ALL fell in D1... ;)

I believe he was specifically discussing that R3 bracket.
It is true that the tougher slate of teams were in that D1R3 bracket the past few years.

dada
12-09-2010, 09:25 AM
It is true that the tougher slate of teams were in that D1R3 bracket the past few years.

And the only team considered a tough team recently in D1R3 that has a winning record over Katy is Pearland at 1-0:)

E-Vol-ution
12-09-2010, 09:40 AM
And the only team considered a tough team recently in D1R3 that has a winning record over Katy is Pearland at 1-0:)

Dada.....we all know that North Shore and Pearland in back to backs are a more formidable slate than any two R3D2 teams that would have filled their brackets this year.
Mistakes against teams like these are magnified.....and either can give Katy a game on a good day while making it that much more difficult to beat them on a bad one.
Playing one after the other.......is no walk in the park.

mike03car
12-09-2010, 09:41 AM

Address it as R3 specific near the beginning of said long post, rather than the last of several paragraphs. Instead, it started as addressing D1 v D2. In addition, there's the debates people have had already about one school carrying the district and/or region.

edit: and continuing to read and catchup on this thread that has no end, it gets specific about R3 topics and comparisons. doh.

BlakeJ
12-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Pearland beating Katy should have shut this convo down a long time ago. That game is just one of 100's of examples of why games are played on the field and not through computer simulations, predictions, etc.

Katy was higher ranked, Pearland had a weaker SOS....Pearland won.

Anything can happen on a football field on any given day.

Pearland folks might not like this, but IMO...Katy is still the better team...and there is no doubt in my mind that if this game is played again...Katy wins. But last Saturday afternoon...Pearland played harder, scored more points, and answered every call...they were the better team that day...and they won and deserve to be in San Antonio this weekend.

You win some...you lose some...you live to play another day...nothing is a given in the game of football. :)

Rook
12-09-2010, 09:45 AM

Appreciate your post. You are correct there wasn't anyone play that Beat Katy and there wasn't anyone play Katy was stopped from converting that decided the game.

twcpfan1
12-09-2010, 09:50 AM
Nearly a week later, we're still doing the post game analysis? Guess you just don't want to get on that bus to the Losers Lounge. It's got WiFi you know. :D

dada
12-09-2010, 09:51 AM
Dada.....we all know that North Shore and Pearland in back to backs are a more formidable slate than any two R3D2 teams that would have filled their brackets this year.
Mistakes against teams like these are magnified.....and either can give Katy a game on a good day while making it that much more difficult to beat them on a bad one.
Playing one after the other.......is no walk in the park.

That's why you schedule tough non district games, to prepare for things like that
@North Shore
Aleif Taylor
@ West Brook

every year Katy starts the season with a "Playoff run"

Katy vs Pearland could have been the D2 Regional final and the outcome could have been the same.

E-Vol-ution
12-09-2010, 09:59 AM
That's why you schedule tough non district games, to prepare for things like that
@North Shore
Aleif Taylor
@ West Brook

every year Katy starts the season with a "Playoff run"

Katy vs Pearland could have been the D2 Regional final and the outcome could have been the same.

I don't disagree with this......just saying that teams like North Shore, Woodlands (big dog type) are on a slate, it makes for a tougher slate when lined up.
Preseason can be an area of uncertainty because new guys are stepping up and certain types of chemistry are being created.

mike03car
12-09-2010, 10:00 AM
I guess you are referring to D2 in Region 3. As I recall Abilene was pretty freakin good last year.

I, too, thought the discussion at that time was about Divisions instead of the Region as a whole.

mike03car
12-09-2010, 10:09 AM

Dude, this is a weak arguement. You are basically saying that none of the tens of millions of sports team fans across the globe are permitted to cheer "We're number one" - or similar - because they are not the ones actually in the competition.

Or you're just trolling.

dada
12-09-2010, 10:10 AM
I don't disagree with this......just saying that teams like North Shore, Woodlands (big dog type) are on a slate, it makes for a tougher slate when lined up.
Preseason can be an area of uncertainty because new guys are stepping up and certain types of chemistry are being created.

Why are these teams Big Dogs and Katy isnt? And at what point in the season do they become big dogs?..Like I say, for instance Katy is 3-0 vs Hightower in recent years, 3-1 vs North Shore, 2-2 vs the Woodlands, who's to say that those teams would be Big Dogs if they HAD to play Katy every year in the playoffs as well? It's easy for the teams that are D1 LOCKS every year to assume they would be more successfull if they were in the "Other" division. That's human nature. I could be wrong, but I think Katy is a big dog type as well and maybe the D1 teams have benefitted by Katy being D2....JMHO. North Shore could have very well being playing Stevens this weekend instead of Pearland.

E-Vol-ution
12-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Why are these teams Big Dogs and Katy isnt? And at what point in the season do they become big dogs?..Like I say, for instance Katy is 3-0 vs Hightower in recent years, 3-1 vs North Shore, 2-2 vs the Woodlands, who's to say that those teams would be Big Dogs if they HAD to play Katy every year in the playoffs as well? It's easy for the teams that are D1 LOCKS every year to assume they would be more successfull if they were in the "Other" division. That's human nature. I could be wrong, but I think Katy is a big dog type as well and maybe the D1 teams have benefitted by Katy being D2....JMHO. North Shore could have very well being playing Stevens this weekend instead of Pearland.

Whoa......Katy is "the" big dog.:notworthy
I don't think you see what I'm saying.

rodeocowboy
12-09-2010, 10:27 AM
CR in 2008 was actually Van. I need to beat those kids!;) I agree with others 62tiger.. Your son defended that play perfectly.. It was a great pass and #21 did everything right... I have enjoyed watching all your boys play over the years. #11 has been a great pain in the butt for offenses. I want to wish him well as he moves on and I am looking forward to seeing #21 carry on the tradition... Katy is a great team and One loss doesn't mean anything.. :)

slcdragonfan
12-09-2010, 10:28 AM
Pearland beating Katy should have shut this convo down a long time ago. That game is just one of 100's of examples of why games are played on the field and not through computer simulations, predictions, etc.

Katy was higher ranked, Pearland had a weaker SOS....Pearland won.

Anything can happen on a football field on any given day.

Pearland folks might not like this, but IMO...Katy is still the better team...and there is no doubt in my mind that if this game is played again...Katy wins. But last Saturday afternoon...Pearland played harder, scored more points, and answered every call...they were the better team that day...and they won and deserve to be in San Antonio this weekend.

You win some...you lose some...you live to play another day...nothing is a given in the game of football. :)

Wasn't the TOD argument "scoreboard"? :rolleyes:;)

and the second bolded has always been my contention.

dada
12-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Whoa......Katy is "the" big dog.:notworthy
I don't think you see what I'm saying.

I see what you're saying....probably even agree with you. I just hate the D1/D2 argument when it comes to speculation. Few schools can bounce between both divisions....then you have ones that no matter what, will be D1 and if they don't go far it's easy to say "Well we would be better if we were D2"....D1 teams lose to D2 teams all the time in non-district and the regular season. It's not like D1 teams are spotted 7 points once the playoffs start. It's the same thing as a Florida poster coming in saying Florida is better than Texas because STA beat Skyline. I don't like when people "Garuntee something that we all know can't and won't happen" like "MY team would be good if they were D2....or if we played in Region 3...etc"....Katy losing to Pearland had NOTHING to do with Pearland being D1.....but it's more fuel with the speculation arguments.....just wait and watches what happens if and when Katy goes D2 next year.

Sorry I'm ranting and all over the place this morning.

slcdragonfan
12-09-2010, 10:33 AM
I see what you're saying....probably even agree with you. I just hate the D1/D2 argument when it comes to speculation. Few schools can bounce between both divisions....then you have ones that no matter what, will be D1 and if they don't go far it's easy to say "Well we would be better if we were D2"....D1 teams lose to D2 teams all the time in non-district and the regular season. It's not like D1 teams are spotted 7 points once the playoffs start. It's the same thing as a Florida poster coming in saying Florida is better than Texas because STA beat Skyline. I don't like when people "Garuntee something that we all know can't and won't happen" like "MY team would be good if they were D2....or if we played in Region 3...etc"....Katy losing to Pearland had NOTHING to do with Pearland being D1.....but it's more fuel with the speculation arguments.....just wait and watches what happens if and when Katy goes D2 next year.

correct.

Kat-na-hat
12-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Wasn't the TOD argument "scoreboard"? :rolleyes:;) "Crow", it's what for dinner. :)

;):),

rodeocowboy
12-09-2010, 10:40 AM

I agree with your post dada.... I hate the D1/D2 thing... You are right, next year Katy will probably be in D2 and we will here it all over again... Seems to me that all those years SLC, Katy, and others were all in D2 and they were the best teams in the state... Heck, LT 4a who is really good beat Westlake this year... I also have noticed that katy has more players on the team than alot of guanteed D1 schools...

slcdragonfan
12-09-2010, 10:44 AM
;):),

I'm not saying the crow bit. :) What I AM saying is that statement just validated Maxtor's contentions.

E-Vol-ution
12-09-2010, 10:44 AM

I don't buy into the D1 vs D2 thing as a collective..........
It's all about who's where and if they are proven programs at the given times.
Certain teams you just know you'd better bring your lunch, but a few teams can surprise here and there.
Things change dramatically in some areas where as some are slotted regardless.

dada
12-09-2010, 10:46 AM
I agree with your post dada.... I hate the D1/D2 thing... You are right, next year Katy will probably be in D2 and we will here it all over again... Seems to me that all those years SLC, Katy, and others were all in D2 and they were the best teams in the state... Heck, LT 4a who is really good beat Westlake this year... I also have noticed that katy has more players on the team than alot of guanteed D1 schools...

West Brook is a D1 team....when Katy played them I think they had 44 on the roster....Katy had 47 SR's on the roster alone.

mike03car
12-09-2010, 10:46 AM

I'll be there, screw the four hour drive. Don't need a pass either (but would rather).

slcdragonfan
12-09-2010, 10:49 AM
I'll be there, screw the four hour drive. Don't need a pass either (but would rather).

currently watching the Desoto/RRSP game, it started out close with both scoring almost at will (like the ET/Coppell game). THEN Desoto started making mistakes. Their running game was going great guns, but by the half they had given up several quick TD's and I suspect went into "all pass" mode. I am at halftime right now.

I'll be there at this game.

mike03car
12-09-2010, 10:52 AM

I'll be there at this game.

I'll be decked out in my school's black and gold attire of last season's glory and trying to intermingle with RRSP's blue and gold.

Rook
12-09-2010, 10:55 AM

I disagree w/ the original post. In football the objective is to win the game, if you/your team wins the game then they are not only the better team at accomplishing the goal/objective they are the only team to accomplish the objective.

If two teams set out to accomplish the same objective (win the game) and one team does accomplish the goal and one team does not accomplish the goal how then can the team that does not accomplish said goal be better then the team that does accomplish said goal?

One might counter with, "if a 1-10 team beats the 15-1 state champion is the 1-10 team better then the state champion"? My response is, "better at what, head to head, or being the state champion?"

The only category that ultimately defines who is better in head to head match ups is the score board.

If someone says, "the better team did not win today", then I would have to ask, "win at what?" Because clearly they were better at winning against the losing team.

If better teams stay home and lesser teams advance which team do you want to be a part of?:)

BlakeJ
12-09-2010, 10:59 AM

Yes it was...the scoreboard indicates the winner. You have to win to get to the next game in this playoff scenario. You might be mixing me up with someone else.

My only argument in the TOD thread concerning our opponents was that we were beating them 30-40+ just as any other team in the state would do...then beating the team who beat all of the "good teams" in the championship game.

My belief is that a ton more times than not...the better teams will win...but there are days where the better teams has a bad day...and the other team is hitting full stride. Its inevitable in this game.

If you look at the Pearland/Katy game its as obvious as can be.

All of us Katy guys know that our team made mistake after mistake after mistake that game. Watching highlights and clips from a ton of Pearlands games this year...IMO..it seemed they played their best game yet. Almost everything fell in their favor...they played a great game and took advantage of an up and down Katy team. They play next week and we dont...deservingly so.

Thats how the game goes this late in the year.

BlakeJ
12-09-2010, 11:01 AM
I disagree w/ the original post. In football the objective is to win the game, if you/your team wins the game then they are not only the better team at accomplishing the goal/objective they are the only team to accomplish the objective.

If two teams set out to accomplish the same objective (win the game) and one team does accomplish the goal and one team does not accomplish the goal how then can the team that does not accomplish said goal be better then the team that does accomplish said goal?

One might counter with, "if a 1-10 team beats the 15-1 state champion is the 1-10 team better then the state champion"? My response is, "better at what, head to head, or being the state champion?"

The only category that ultimately defines who is better in head to head match ups is the score board.

If someone says, "the better team did not win today", then I would have to ask, "win at what?" Because clearly they were better at winning against the losing team.

If better teams stay home and lesser teams advance which team do you want to be a part of?:)

So if it was announced that the game has to be replayed...no doubt in your mind that Pearland wins? You're betting your bank roll on that winner? :)

mike03car
12-09-2010, 11:03 AM

I was thinking more like this guy:

http://dccomics.com/media/product/1/1/1192_400x600.jpg

Oiler1313
12-09-2010, 11:05 AM

I couldn't agree with you more. More times than not, that play does not get made by the QB and receiver. Your son played it about as well as it could get played. The ball just happened to be thrown in the perfect spot, at the perfect time, and the result was a perfect play. I don't know of any high school DB's that make that play. Just like you said, one foot either direction, or a split second of difference in when the pass was thrown, and it could have been a different result. Tell your son to keep his head up. That play will only make him a stronger person and a better football player. I've followed your boys over the years (mainly because of baseball), and you've done a great job raising them. Cudos to you.

Rook
12-09-2010, 11:12 AM
So if it was announced that the game has to be replayed...no doubt in your mind that Pearland wins? You're betting your bank roll on that winner? :)

Maxtor, football is not a series, football is about one game winner take all:). If Katy and Pearland played again down the road or if Katy and Pearland were to play a series of back to back games then my opinion might change as to who is better. As of right now this moment the proof of who the better team in '10 was has been decided, it was decided on the field.

I'm not much of a betting man.

TheRocket
12-09-2010, 11:16 AM
It takes discipline, teamwork, determination, technique, and THEN enough strength-stamina-weight-quickness to be a successful offensive line. We got compliments last year from opposing teams and coaches on how well our OL blocked together but they were never a "big" line. The OL and how they did it was just as much if not more a factor than the skill players to winning it all.

mike03car, When I stated that the OL was pretty good, average 6'3" and 265 I was simply repeating what another poster said at the end of their post. That must've been at least the 4th post that I read where the poster said, Pearland had 33 pass attempts and no holding calls! After which they said, their OL must be pretty good.

I agree with your comments about the OL, it's actually one of my pet peeves! Players like Peyton Manning, Dan Marino, Jordan Shipley, Wes Walker, or any of the skill players wouldn't have their name in lights if not for the OL. Without the OL, they don't complete passes, catch passes, run for XXXX yards a season That's why when I rate alltime NFL running backs I look at the team/OL that they played with. Emmit Smith did okay in Dallas but what if Walter Peyton or Barry Sanders had that line in front of them, just saying......

It pretty much goes the other way around also, all of the players make each other who they are and create the success that they achieve!

TheRocket
12-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Yes it was...the scoreboard indicates the winner. You have to win to get to the next game in this playoff scenario. You might be mixing me up with someone else.

My only argument in the TOD thread concerning our opponents was that we were beating them 30-40+ just as any other team in the state would do...then beating the team who beat all of the "good teams" in the championship game.

My belief is that a ton more times than not...the better teams will win...but there are days where the better teams has a bad day...and the other team is hitting full stride. Its inevitable in this game.

If you look at the Pearland/Katy game its as obvious as can be.

All of us Katy guys know that our team made mistake after mistake after mistake that game. Watching highlights and clips from a ton of Pearlands games this year...IMO..it seemed they played their best game yet. Almost everything fell in their favor...they played a great game and took advantage of an up and down Katy team. They play next week and we dont...deservingly so.

Thats how the game goes this late in the year.

I have to disagree, Pearland also had several mistakes which cost them a lot. Receiver slips in the end zone twice on the first drive, that's 7 points rather than 3. A bad snap on a punt deep in our own end of the field resulting in Katy starting a drive on what, the 12 yard line, "CMON MAN"

If they played 10 times their records would probably be 5-5 afterwards.

Both of the teams that played last Saturday are very good football teams and it's unfortunate that one had to lose. I'm sure that the players on both teams have a lot more respect for each other than prior to the kickoff. Not saying they didn't respect each other before the game but when you have a hard fought battle, respect has a way of surfacing afterwards!

mike03car
12-09-2010, 11:32 AM
I disagree w/ the original post. In football the objective is to win the game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMk5sMHj58I

:notworthy Coach Edwards :notworthy

BlakeJ
12-09-2010, 11:32 AM
Maxtor, football is not a series, football is about one game winner take all:). If Katy and Pearland played again down the road or if Katy and Pearland were to play a series of back to back games then my opinion might change as to who is better. As of right now this moment the proof of who the better team in '10 was has been decided, it was decided on the field.

I'm not much of a betting man.

LadyTGO, Did you just call me Maxtor? :mad::D

BlakeJ
12-09-2010, 11:34 AM
I have to disagree, Pearland also had several mistakes which cost them a lot. Receiver slips in the end zone twice on the first drive, that's 7 points rather than 3. A bad snap on a punt deep in our own end of the field resulting in Katy starting a drive on what, the 12 yard line, "CMON MAN"

If they played 10 times their records would probably be 5-5 afterwards.

Both of the teams that played last Saturday are very good football teams and it's unfortunate that one had to lose. I'm sure that the players on both teams have a lot more respect for each other than prior to the kickoff. Not saying they didn't respect each other before the game but when you have a hard fought battle, respect has a way of surfacing afterwards!

I wouldnt be to much in disagreement there. Both teams are very good teams and very good representatives in the next round.

mike03car
12-09-2010, 11:40 AM
mike03car, When I stated that the OL was pretty good, average 6'3" and 265 I was simply repeating what another poster said at the end of their post. That must've been at least the 4th post that I read where the poster said, Pearland had 33 pass attempts and no holding calls! After which they said, their OL must be pretty good.

I recognized right away the quote you replied to at that time before I made my post which points out it's not just the size of the dog. I definitely didn't just state that you were calling it strictly as a size issue; I feel I expanded the conversation.

Rook
12-09-2010, 11:49 AM
I have to disagree um IMO I don't know what there is to disagree about:). Did you watch Katy play all year? How many times did you see Katy play? Do you know whether or not Katy made mistake, after mistake after mistake relative to Katy's brand of football? This sir isn't about you or how "perfect" Pearland was, it was a comment about Katy., Pearland also had several mistakes which cost them a lot, yep pretty much every time Katy ran the ball Pearland made a mistake:). Receiver slips in the end zone twice on the first drive those balls would not have been caught by "big sam" or wes welker or Andre Johnson they weren't "perfect" throws., that's 7 points rather than 3. A bad snap on a punt deep in our own end of the field resulting in Katy starting a drive on what, the 12 yard line, "CMON MAN"

If they played 10 times their records would probably be 5-5 afterwards.They don't play 10 times they play once and Pearland won.

I can think of two players, one from each team, that the players don't have more respect for.

Rook
12-09-2010, 11:51 AM

Oh man that is funny....helllooooooooooooooo, you play to win the game:)

Rook
12-09-2010, 11:55 AM
ladytgo, did you just call me maxtor? :mad::d

lol

TheRocket
12-09-2010, 12:02 PM
I can think of two players, one from each team, that the players don't have more respect for.

In a pen full of hens there's always a yard bird or two!

TheRocket
12-09-2010, 12:03 PM
I recognized right away the quote you replied to at that time before I made my post which points out it's not just the size of the dog. I definitely didn't just state that you were calling it strictly as a size issue; I feel I expanded the conversation.

I stand corrected, you made a good point!

TheRocket
12-09-2010, 12:07 PM

Nice find, that is funny......sort of reminds me of coach Mora, "playoffs, your talking about playoffs"

Kat-na-hat
12-09-2010, 12:14 PM
I'm not saying the crow bit. :) What I AM saying is that statement just validated Maxtor's contentions.

Which seems to happen when the shoe is on the other foot. I added the crow piece, either you insert foot into mouth or you devour one of those birds. Either way someone usually has to crawfish or just argue for argue sake,:) you know what I mean;)

mike03car
12-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Nice find, that is funny......sort of reminds me of coach Mora, "playoffs, your talking about playoffs"

Are you kidding me? Playoffs? I just hope we can win another game!"

Pearland1
12-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Katy fans heading to the losers lounge.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb73/moonlightj/ohio-state-crying-man-1.jpg

Austin109
12-09-2010, 04:05 PM
Uncalled for Pearland1.

HoustonKid
12-09-2010, 04:09 PM
Why is this thread even still going? Oh, I see, people like me keep reading it and posting.

We need to retire this one.

Pearland1
12-09-2010, 04:13 PM
Uncalled for Pearland1.

Is all in fun.:)

marmer
12-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Is all in fun.:)

Maybe Saturday night, by Thursday it's kinda tacky.

Rook
12-09-2010, 04:38 PM

Ouch...kind of hypocritical considering your most recent post:)

Your right though all in good fun:D

tigerfan2010
12-09-2010, 04:39 PM
He says this, and then gives a kick in the side about every 3rd post about Katy...:heli:

Rook
12-09-2010, 04:43 PM
He says this, and then gives a kick in the side about every 3rd post about Katy...:heli:

Hey I get it we're busy shinning all our trophies and he is busy celebrating the highlight of his life.

rwilleby
12-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Hey I get it we're busy shinning all our trophies and he is busy celebrating the highlight of his life.

Ha! Now that's funny... I wish you guys would stop pushing this back to the top... Oh, crap, I just did it too... ^^^ 5,000

Rook
12-09-2010, 06:16 PM
Ha! Now that's funny... I wish you guys would stop pushing this back to the top... Oh, crap, I just did it too... ^^^ 5,000

It is like not eating that first potato chip:)

RedRage00
12-09-2010, 06:50 PM
lol

bump

Gator4ever
12-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Ya know I'm a Gator fan and a Katy fan and the folks in Katy have always treated me fair. I'm not a "hater" of any team and Katy is never gonna be treated wrong by me in either words or actions.

Roughneck and myself met at the Dickinson-BWB game back in 2008 and he is a fine example of what a Katy fan is. He came to a Dickinson game in 2009 and I've wanted badly to visit at a Katy home game but have yet to be lucky enough to arrange and get time off.

What I'm saying really is that 'most" Katy fans are good people and show great sportsmanship. This loss to Pearland won't change these fine qualities and Katy will be back next year with a hot desire to go farther and I'm hoping they win state.

I know it hurts to lose in such a close manner and when Katy lost I was upset and confused because I want Pearland to do well also. Still my heart goes out to Katy but not for long because I know that championship number 7 is not far away at all.

Pearland1
12-09-2010, 07:23 PM
People need to chill out it's all in fun. I don't hate nobody. Life is to short and I for one know how short life is have fun and enjoy life everyday because you never know if its your last day on this earth.

mike03car
12-09-2010, 07:25 PM
It is like not eating that first potato chip:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRzcjw9l6xo&feature=related

BlakeJ
12-09-2010, 07:28 PM

I decided to ignore him. Anything he has to say from now until Pearland loses is useless to me.

Karma will bite him. :)

Pearland1
12-09-2010, 07:39 PM
I decided to ignore him. Anything he has to say from now until Pearland loses is useless to me.

Karma will bite him. :)

good you talk so much crap before the football game between Pearland and Katy now you are the victim. Please stop sending PM no I don't want to be your friend.

rwilleby
12-09-2010, 07:45 PM
good you talk so much crap before the football game between Pearland and Katy now you are the victim. Please stop sending PM no I don't want to be your friend.

Ha! BJ, that's some funny stuff right there...

rwilleby
12-09-2010, 07:46 PM
People need to chill out it's all in fun. I don't hate nobody. Life is to short and I for one know how short life is have fun and enjoy life everyday because you never know if its your last day on this earth.

Katy has already started working on our 2011 run...

BlakeJ
12-09-2010, 07:51 PM
Ha! BJ, that's some funny stuff right there...

He must be mistaken me for HOC98. I spent all week reminding HOC that Pearland was good enough to beat us. This is one week I didn't talk smack.

rwilleby
12-09-2010, 07:52 PM
He must be mistaken me for HOC98. I spent all week reminding HOC that Pearland was good enough to beat us. This is one week I didn't talk smack.

I hate that you were right... See me at the next Section Board Meeting... :heli:

BlakeJ
12-09-2010, 10:26 PM
poke poke poke....oh sh*t the ants are biting...drop the stick...just kidding guys. Go get the water hose.

RedRage00
12-09-2010, 10:30 PM
lol....yall are too sensitive. He's just teasing a little bit...it's nothing extreme.

HoustonKid
12-10-2010, 07:03 AM
Please, make it go away. It is like a car wreck, I know I don't need to look but I cannot help myself. Every time I see this thread at the top, I read the latest posts.

JUST LIKE LOOKING AT A CAR WRECK, IT DOES NOTHING FOR ME.

rwilleby
12-10-2010, 07:05 AM
Ha! I'm just trying to get to one more page and see who the 500th poster will be... :heli:

dada
12-10-2010, 07:06 AM
ha! I'm just trying to get to one more page and see who the 500th poster will be... :heli:

500!