PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Western Movies Ever Made

LR46
12-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Numero Uno - One Upon a Time in the West . . . now playing on TCM.

Henry Fonda (bad)
Jason Robards (perfect)
Charles Bronson (at his best)
Claudia Cardinale (humina humina)

Sergio Leone (Director)

The story line (plots and sub plots), the dusty authentic scenery, Sweetwater and the music . . . none better and oh yes the harmonica!!!!!

PS - for all you ghey caballeros . . . "Broken Backius Mountanius" is not a western.

Powerful beginning and heroic ending with greatness in between.

slorch
12-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Shane.

Because it is.

DragonWatcher
12-01-2010, 03:14 PM
Nothing compares to The Searchers.

cougmantx
12-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Shane.

Because it is.

:notworthy

Also, Lonesome Dove and Tom Horn

Favpack
12-01-2010, 03:32 PM
How about the new True Grit? Does anyone replace the original Rooster Cogburn?

JagFan
12-01-2010, 03:40 PM

No.

JagFan
12-01-2010, 03:41 PM
:notworthy

Also, Lonesome Dove and Tom Horn

or Tombstone.

twcpfan1
12-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Midnight Cowboy...

No, wait a minute....

dragonsdaddy
12-01-2010, 03:45 PM
Numero Uno - One Upon a Time in the West . . . now playing on AMC.

Henry Fonda (bad)
Jason Robards (perfect)

Sergio Leone (Director)

The story line (plots and sub plots), the dusty authentic scenery, Sweetwater and the music . . . none better and oh yes the harmonica!!!!!

PS - for all you ghey caballeros . . . "Broken Backius Mountanius" is not a western.

i watched it just now on tcm, but you are right otherwise. best spaghetti western ever, no doubt.

b756561
12-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Cheyenne Social Club
&
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

4th and 1
12-01-2010, 04:13 PM
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

mad_fan
12-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Brokeback Mountain....

Firebird
12-01-2010, 05:10 PM
Numero Uno - One Upon a Time in the West . . . now playing on AMC.
Henry Fonda (bad)
Jason Robards (perfect)

Sergio Leone (Director)

Fail. The best Western movie ever made is The Searchers. Maybe the best American movie ever made, if not for Casablanca, which is just the best movie period.

TEXREB
12-01-2010, 05:54 PM
My favorites in no particular order.....

Rio Bravo
The Searchers
Lonesome Dove
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
High Noon
Shane
The Outlaw Josey Wales
High Plains Drifter
El Dorado
Unforgiven
The Fastest Gun Alive
The Sacketts
Big Jake
True Grit
Dances With Wolves
Winchester '73
Tombstone

I have to agree with some of the others, The Searchers gets my vote as the best of all time.

LR46
12-01-2010, 06:31 PM
Brokeback Mountain....

I knew you'd be one of the first ghey blade to vote for this! What a schmegienheimer!!! :rofl:

mad_fan
12-01-2010, 06:34 PM
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

JagFan
12-01-2010, 06:58 PM
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

:rofl:

mad_fan
12-01-2010, 07:25 PM

:rolleyes:
:rolleyes:

CoveMom
12-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Shane.

Because it is.

This.

and

2. True Grit (original)
3. The Cowboys (in the coming of age category)
4. Young Guns/Young Guns II (just because)
5. The Magnificient Seven
6. Three Amigos
7. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (I AM a girl...)
8. Paleface/Son of Paleface
9. Stagecoach
10. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

and oh, there's just too many to list...

4th and 1
12-01-2010, 08:18 PM
Red River (1948)

CoveMom
12-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Bells of San Angelo....

fify

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039180/

CCCSportsFan
12-01-2010, 08:51 PM
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

First time I saw this movie was at a drive in theater as a kid. It has one of the best opening theme songs ever :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hYV-JSjpyU

GoOwls
12-02-2010, 01:47 AM
For photography, script, characters, acting, scenery, and the darkest and most menacing John Wayne ever, the undoubted winner is:

The Searchers

#2 is The Unforgiven
#3 is The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
#4 is The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly
#5 is Fort Apache
#6 is The Outlaw Josey Wales

Also rans: (in no particular order)

Silverado
Tombstone
Sergeant Rutledge
Little Big Man
The Magnificent Seven
True Grit
Pale Rider
Shane
Winchester '73
Hang 'em High

There are plenty of other really good westerns, but I think these are the tops in total audio and visual appeal that really bring the story with it.

Sleeper pick for the top 10:

High Plains Drifter

This is one of my favorite movies....very quirky....it's gotta fit your taste and it isn't for everyone, but the more time goes by, I like it more as others begin to fade a bit in relevance...it was way before it's time.

b756561
12-02-2010, 07:38 AM
Some of my favorite John Wayne westerns:
Fort Apache
Red River
Rio Grande
She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
The Alamo
The Angel And The Badman
3 Godfathers
McClintock
Rio Bravo

slorch
12-02-2010, 08:50 AM

c'mooonnnnnnn, Man!

KT2000
12-02-2010, 09:21 AM
Unforgiven

I haven't seen many Westerns (bits and pieces of several John Wayne movies at my grandparents), but that one is on my all-time list of movies in general.

bobcatfan
12-02-2010, 09:41 AM
Blazing Saddles.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6dm9rN6oTs

mojotrain
12-02-2010, 09:44 AM
Marilyn Monroe, Sonny Liston and John Wayne in, "Sex, Fight or go for your gun" tops my list.

GoOwls
12-02-2010, 09:55 AM
Blazing Saddles.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6dm9rN6oTs

I don't consider it to be a western, more of a comedy.....but if you want to include it, it would be in my top 5 westerns and top 10 of all genres.

Also, I tend to rate movies two ways. Favorite movies (ones I like to see no matter how technically well made they are) and best movies (movies that paint the picture in all facets but I might not necessarily watch it time and time again) Blazing Saddles is one of my favorite movies to watch. The acting is hilarious and the writing was inspired.

stevefoxsc
12-02-2010, 09:56 AM
Only steers and queers watch westerns

LR46
12-02-2010, 10:04 AM

Brilliant, as expected . . . you must have a million of'em!? :yes:

bobcatfan
12-02-2010, 10:04 AM
I don't consider it to be a western, more of a comedy.....but if you want to include it, it would be in my top 5 westerns and top 10 of all genres.

Also, I tend to rate movies two ways. Favorite movies (ones I like to see no matter how technically well made they are) and best movies (movies that paint the picture in all facets but I might not necessarily watch it time and time again) Blazing Saddles is one of my favorite movies to watch. The acting is hilarious and the writing was inspired.

You're probably correct about the western vs. comedy point, but since it was set as a western I included it. It really was brilliantly written with so many classic movie lines, and it is so timeless that even my kids think it's hilarious.:notworthy

stevefoxsc
12-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Brilliant, as expected . . . you must have a million of'em!? :yes:

1-999,999

copies of broke back mountain

GoOwls
12-02-2010, 10:15 AM

So, since you aren't a steer, which westerns do you like? :eek:

Brokeback Mountain, I'd suspect....

b756561
12-02-2010, 10:56 AM
High Noon
Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid
The Wild Bunch (Sam Peckinpah - One of the best and bloodiest turn of the century movies ever made. IMO)

Maroondog
12-02-2010, 11:41 AM
Some of my favorite John Wayne westerns:
Fort Apache
Red River
Rio Grande
She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
The Alamo
The Angel And The Badman
3 Godfathers
McClintock
Rio Bravo

For John Wayne, how could you leave out The Shootist?

b756561
12-02-2010, 01:01 PM
For John Wayne, how could you leave out The Shootist?

Same reason I didn't mention Stagecoach. I think they are two of the best movies ever made, certainly two of the best John Wayne movies. However I assumed that was a given and it didn't need to be resaid.

LR46
12-02-2010, 01:16 PM

Althougg there's no way for anyone to understand you, even me with my mega-mind and you play a lousing game of golf, I do appreciate you and you may even be smarter than the average bear!

This is not an Go Owls or an LR46 post. Ask KT.

stevefoxsc
12-02-2010, 05:18 PM

you know most western fans don't consider this a western, i'm curious as to why you do?

LR46
12-02-2010, 08:20 PM
you know most western fans don't consider this a western, i'm curious as to why you do?

Grow Owls: now you're not going to let sleveflexes one up you or go down on you like that are you? . . . he got a ya good one. Even though we know he's ghey, he still wrangled ya new one.

Take him out golfing hit'em with your niblet or your mashey and then show him where the club that even God can't hit fits the best. He may turn out to be your best buddy after that, but he'd still beat ya.

GoOwls
12-03-2010, 10:05 AM

I don't....but since you aren't a steer, logically, I assumed you did....:rolleyes:

GoOwls
12-03-2010, 10:29 AM
Althougg there's no way for anyone to understand you, even me with my mega-mind and you play a lousing game of golf, I do appreciate you and you may even be smarter than the average bear!

This is not an Go Owls or an LR46 post. Ask KT.

Grow Owls: now you're not going to let sleveflexes one up you or go down on you like that are you? . . . he got a ya good one. Even though we know he's ghey, he still wrangled ya new one.

Take him out golfing hit'em with your niblet or your mashey and then show him where the club that even God can't hit fits the best. He may turn out to be your best buddy after that, but he'd still beat ya.

Since you pointed out in another thread that I had misspellings and such...way too many to make me relevant....just thought I'd point out:

1. Althougg = Although
2. even me with my mega-mind and you play a lousing game of golf :eek: That is incredible...the statement makes no sense, has nothing to do with why I'm understood or not, lousing = lousey, what does my game of golf have to do with understanding.....4th grade level sentence at best.
3. sleveflexes = steveflexes, I assume.
4. he got a ya good one :eek: huh?
5. he still wrangled ya new one might want to add an "a" in there so it makes sense.
6. Take him out golfing hit'em with your niblet or your mashey and then show him where the club that even God can't hit fits the best. commas after "golfing" and "mashey".

just saying, Mr. Irrelevant46

:D