PDA

View Full Version : 5ATXFB Predictor: D1 and D2 results

jc84chill
11-11-2010, 09:25 AM
We recently ran every game from the D1 and D2 brackets through our statistical predictor. Obviously, the game is played on the field and not on an excel spreadsheet (thankfully). For entertainment purposes only.

See results here: http://bit.ly/9BFMLu

Let's hear your throughts...

chhspantherfan
11-11-2010, 09:28 AM
let's hope you are correct;)

Go Panthers !!

jc84chill
11-11-2010, 09:29 AM
The Division 1 results played out like many are expecting based on their submitted brackets in the contest...Euless Trinity v Katy for the championship.

The Division 2 results are quite interesting...very indicative of a wide open bracket. Me thinks Alief Taylor and Copperas Cove fans are going to love this projection :)

chhspantherfan
11-11-2010, 09:32 AM
The Division 1 results played out like many are expecting based on their submitted brackets in the contest...Euless Trinity v Katy for the championship.

The Division 2 results are quite interesting...very indicative of a wide open bracket. Me thinks Alief Taylor and Copperas Cove fans are going to love this projection :)

i picked them in the final when i did my bracket:)

AHSeagles
11-11-2010, 09:38 AM
You picked Midland to beat Arlington Bowie. Your projector is broken. :rolleyes:

/E-vol

E-Vol-ution
11-11-2010, 09:48 AM
You picked Midland to beat Arlington Bowie. Your projector is broken. :rolleyes:

/E-vol

Why not be more creative and share your own thoughts?:)
I picked Abilene to lose also if Hershel is out.......oh my!

mike03car
11-11-2010, 09:49 AM

/E-vol

:yes::rofl::notworthy

mike03car
11-11-2010, 09:50 AM

Dude, it was humor.

AHSeagles
11-11-2010, 09:55 AM

Of course you did, you picked every Arlington team to win. :rolleyes:

I didn't go crapping on a guy's statical projector just because it happened to pick my team to lose.

E-Vol-ution
11-11-2010, 09:58 AM
Of course you did, you picked every Arlington team to win. :rolleyes:

I didn't go crapping on a guy's statical projector just because it happened to pick my team to lose.

I'm not running around in a guy's jock strap because of their picks either, now am I?:D

E-Vol-ution
11-11-2010, 09:59 AM
Dude, it was humor.

Something about placement...........I'm cool.

ThEgReAtOnE
11-11-2010, 10:22 AM
That 36-35 (Katy over ET) score is laughable! I think this should be locker-room material for ET. Tape this to every locker!

I'm saying it now... ET will MUDHOLE Katy!

mike03car
11-11-2010, 10:26 AM

My DIV 1 bracket has A LOT of busters instead of "by the numbers".

My DIV 2 bracket has three of the same Region winners (1, 3, 4) with Lufkin and Longview in Region 2 making the computers short-circuit. Can't disagree that Cove should represent Region 2 in the semis instead of my pick.

Favpack
11-11-2010, 10:26 AM
That 36-35 (Katy over ET) score is laughable! I think this should be locker-room material for ET. Tape this to every locker!

Did Lady TGO takeover your account again?

:D

Fear the Cove!!

KT2000
11-11-2010, 10:32 AM

Care to back this up with thoughts/analysis, or are you just content to throw out blanket statements on a game that may or may not happen?

KT2000
11-11-2010, 10:38 AM
Did Lady TGO takeover your account again?

:D

Fear the Cove!!

Someone is bitter about Cinco Ranch not living up to his pre-season billing.

Dawg82
11-11-2010, 10:44 AM

Not sure I get this one...
Katy's played at least 2 very talented teams I'm keenly familiar with (NS & BWB) and dispatched both. Granted, they were early season games. I've also had the privelege to watch Katy the last 2 years in the later playoff rounds. I'm not all that familiar with Trinity's opponents this year, so I can't speak to that. I do know that 21-5A teams (La Porte, NS, & BWB) are very good defensively and if Katy can score against NS & BWB like they did, I give them a good amount of credit. :)

By the way, I'm not a closet Katy fan, but I do respect their accomplishments and tradition.

ThEgReAtOnE
11-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Care to back this up with thoughts/analysis, or are you just content to throw out blanket statements on a game that may or may not happen?

For now, I'm content with throwing out blank statements... and doing a ton of praying! You know I'm a :Censor: talker, 2000... don't even act like you're surprised. :rofl:

DF-Dub MUST continue to represent (dominate) on the D1 level! :heli:

I will do a game analysis... IF the game happens. You know, that Pearland team might have a lot to say about Katy making it out of R3. (Just like Coppell will have a lot to say about if ET makes it out of R1.) As it stands, I like ET's defense over Katy's... and I like ET's offensive size-power/speed/depth over Katy's. We'll see!

LPack007
11-11-2010, 10:49 AM

I guess it's the computer that did it, but do you think Lake Highlands or South Garland will beat the Lobos in region 2? Just asking..

ThEgReAtOnE
11-11-2010, 10:49 AM

Why would I be bitter over CR.. when I had Katy ranked ahead of CR by the end of September?

KT2000
11-11-2010, 10:53 AM
I guess it's the computer that did it, but do you think Lake Highlands or South Garland will beat the Lobos in region 2? Just asking..

Division 2 is literally anyone's guess. It is the biggest toss up bracket I've seen in a decade of running this web site.

KT2000
11-11-2010, 10:56 AM
Why would I be bitter over CR.. when I had Katy ranked ahead of CR by the end of September?

You've been awfully defensive since Saturday. Just saying...

Yes, I noticed your GHA rankings posts went away for a while after your initial posts.

ThEgReAtOnE
11-11-2010, 11:29 AM
You've been awfully defensive since Saturday. Just saying...

Yes, I noticed your GHA rankings posts went away for a while after your initial posts.

Defensive how? Katy Nation keeps telling me how in love I was with CR.. but fail to see I stopped talking about them at the beginning of the season. I saw them vs Springs and thought they had an off night. Then saw them vs Memorial and said they're in trouble vs Katy.

I had Katy and about 3 or 4 DF-Dub teams ahead of CR by mid-season. Springs had all but dropped out of the Top 25 by the end of the season.

I am not defensive, at all. CR is not my team... nor is the GHA my area. I just thought (Pre-Season) CR would be pretty good. They have a sizeable OL and 2 Big Ten RB's (size, power... pedestrian speed) and a slow defense. They also have zero passing game.

KT2000
11-11-2010, 11:32 AM
I am not defensive, at all. CR is not my team... nor is the GHA my area. I just thought (Pre-Season) CR would be pretty good. They have a sizeable OL and 2 Big Ten RB's (size, power... pedestrian speed) and a slow defense. They also have zero passing game.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Yes, I thought as much after seeing them play against Klein Forest and Clear Springs. I expected a better game last weekend, but figured Katy would win comfortably if they played to their capability.

I looked at Cinco in the pre-season, and found the void in leadership on defense to be a glaring weakness (in addition toe the QB questions). They have some younger guys who will be leaders next year and the year after, but this year is the learning experience.

CCDawgs
11-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Me like.

Super B
11-11-2010, 12:36 PM
Leave it to a computer program to have the championship game decided by one point. Instead of three (FG). The thing about the computer projections, is that it is pure statistical analysts.

In these cases the best of the best are actually underrated. The Trinity games are always over by halftime (often over by 6:00 left in the 1st quarter), therefore they shut it down after the half. Not only do they bring in 2nd team, then 3rd team, they also go to a more vanilla offense. I am very confident the same can be said for ALL of Katy's games as well. In fact in the 2nd half of the season, I swear Coach Lineweaver was holding back even from the beginning of the games. It's like, he has been experimenting with both the offense and the defense. So for Trinity, Katy and all the top teams the scoring could have been higher, they could have held the opponents to lower scores, etc... Stats do not tell the whole story.

I also have Katy & Trinity in the final. I'll save a generic prediction on the Final, when and if the game is set.

Also, I'll take Lufkin over (just guessing here) Alief Taylor in Div. II.

jc84chill
11-11-2010, 12:38 PM

Dude, it's just a formula on microsoft excel...it doesn't have feelings. Nothing but raw numbers and mathematics.

ThEgReAtOnE
11-11-2010, 12:43 PM
Yes, I thought as much after seeing them play against Klein Forest and Clear Springs. I expected a better game last weekend, but figured Katy would win comfortably if they played to their capability.

I looked at Cinco in the pre-season, and found the void in leadership on defense to be a glaring weakness (in addition toe the QB questions). They have some younger guys who will be leaders next year and the year after, but this year is the learning experience.

What's the deal I've heard about Jamel James being 18 yrs old... and he's only a Soph? :eek:

jc84chill
11-11-2010, 12:52 PM
What's the deal I've heard about Jamel James being 18 yrs old... and he's only a Soph? :eek:

Take it to the 19-5A thread...let's stay on topic here.

ray1301
11-11-2010, 12:57 PM

Still fishing huh?

HomeofChampions'06
11-11-2010, 02:10 PM
I certainly don't think Alief Taylor is out of the question. I have them going to the Semifinals facing a team that is predicted on here to lose in the first round (New Braunfels). I think it's crazy that the predictor has Lufkin out so early. I have them winning the whole thing.

Paige70
11-11-2010, 02:29 PM
Wow, this predictor could'nt be more off than telling someone you know where lightening is going to hit!

I know, I know, its just a computor. Look at the computor that picked Trinity to lose against Shiloh Christain by 14?

Final in the real game Trinity 80 Shilon 27

I think realignment should be in order to even the playing field, some districts are riddled with poor teams send a average team into the playoffs, while some districts with loaded teams sit and watch sub-par teams like lake Highlands, Arlington Martin etc...move on. oh well (IMO)

Still want to take the predictors word, Not me, the real world demands more!

good luck!

twcpfan1
11-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Looks good to me. Although the only reason I'd have Trinity losing to Katy is Trinity having a couple of players out due to that gauntlet they'd have to run through to get to the finals. On the flipside, the soft schedule might end up hurting Katy and may not be as sharp as they have to be once they face the likes of ET

North Shore could pull the upset against Katy (doubtful though)

Trinity has to get through at least 2 or 3 tough teams, all probably better than NS.

Allen, Coppell and KC OR RRSP

On paper, it looks like it's these 2 teams in the D1 final with ET winning by about 10.

mike03car
11-11-2010, 02:43 PM
Wow, this predictor could'nt be more off than telling someone you know where lightening is going to hit!

Who fed the troll?

HomeofChampions'06
11-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Looks good to me. Although the only reason I'd have Trinity losing to Katy is Trinity having a couple of players out due to that gauntlet they'd have to run through to get to the finals. On the flipside, the soft schedule might end up hurting Katy and may not be as sharp as they have to be once they face the likes of ET

Trinity has to get through at least 2 or 3 tough teams, all probably better than NS.

On paper, it looks like it's these 2 teams in the D1 final with ET winning by about 10.

If it happens round 3, it will be one doozy of a football game. If there is one team that I wouldn't mind seeing Katy lose to, it would be North Shore. It is a respectful rivalry. I just hope it stays that way.

E-Vol-ution
11-11-2010, 03:22 PM
I certainly don't think Alief Taylor is out of the question. I have them going to the Semifinals facing a team that is predicted on here to lose in the first round (New Braunfels). I think it's crazy that the predictor has Lufkin out so early. I have them winning the whole thing.

I have Alief Taylor winning their Region.

youtellatale
11-11-2010, 03:58 PM
Division 2 is literally anyone's guess. It is the biggest toss up bracket I've seen in a decade of running this web site.

The best part about it being a toss up is that it means that a team can come from nowhere and win it all. I'm looking forward to seeing all kinds of surprises in this bracket, probably quite a few in the first round especially. The predictor looks good, not too far from my guesses on the bracket challenge..other than I have SA Mac goin to the final. Should be another great year of 5A Texas HS Football. Thanks for all the work you guys do!

Bass
11-11-2010, 04:32 PM

Katy went into three games this year being told they were playing a team ranked in the state's top twenty five. Even though the scores don't reflect two ranked teams playing, they do reflect that Katy went into each game having prepared like they would have to execute perfectly to win. Because of that, I don't think it'd be that hard for Katy to play to Trinity's level if they were to meet. Trinity might have a tougher road through the playoffs, but Katy's not going to dumb themselves down. They've seen twice this year what happens when you take a week off and play down to your competition's level: you get behind 20-7 at the half (Alief Taylor) and your starting defense allows twenty one second half points (Memorial).

If they prepare for the remainder of their games the way they’re obviously are capable of, I don't see them not being competitive in any game.

twcpfan1
11-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Katy went into three games this year being told they were playing a team ranked in the state's top twenty five. Even though the scores don't reflect two ranked teams playing, they do reflect that Katy went into each game having prepared like they would have to execute perfectly to win. Because of that, I don't think it'd be that hard for Katy to play to Trinity's level if they were to meet. Trinity might have a tougher road through the playoffs, but Katy's not going to dumb themselves down. They've seen twice this year what happens when you take a week off and play down to your competition's level: you get behind 20-7 at the half (Alief Taylor) and your starting defense allows twenty one second half points (Memorial).

If they prepare for the remainder of their games the way they’re obviously are capable of, I don't see them not being competitive in any game.

That's of course working under the assumption that Katy did lose a little bit of focus at some point against Memorial and AT. I was not at either game. What if they didn't though? What if both teams had the horses to keep the score respectable? And I think it's safe to say that the ranked teams Katy played are not in the same league as Trinity.

mike03car
11-11-2010, 04:46 PM
They've seen twice this year what happens when you take a week off and play down to your competition's level: you get behind 20-7 at the half (Alief Taylor) and your starting defense allows twenty one second half points (Memorial).

Disguising free shots at Alief and Memorial?

tigerbd
11-11-2010, 05:13 PM
That's of course working under the assumption that Katy did lose a little bit of focus at some point against Memorial and AT. I was not at either game. What if they didn't though? What if both teams had the horses to keep the score respectable? And I think it's safe to say that the ranked teams Katy played are not in the same league as Trinity.

I think it is also safe to say Trinity has not played anyone in the same league as Katy.

Or North Shore

Or Cinco Ranch

I'd put Colleyville in the same "league" as Alief Taylor and West Brook.

Warbird_Dad
11-11-2010, 05:30 PM

It's got Abilene going to the semi's so I love it...!!

twcpfan1
11-11-2010, 05:32 PM
I think it is also safe to say Trinity has not played anyone in the same league as Katy.

Or North Shore

Or Cinco Ranch

I'd put Colleyville in the same "league" as Alief Taylor and West Brook.

If both teams were to get through however like this predictor suggests, Trinity would have played a much tougher schedule and would have played teams close to Katy's standard. (Coppell, RRSP/KC). I'm not entirely sure I'd be willing to guarantee a Cinco Ranch win over Tyler Lee.

tigerbd
11-11-2010, 05:41 PM

Against Memorial, Katy was up 28-7 at halftime and 42-14 in the middle of the 4th qtr. The game was not as close as the final score might indicate.

Alief Taylor is a different story. Second game of the season and I think Katy was overconfident after North Shore. Taylor came out and did some things Katy was not expecting, combined with a turnover that resulted in a very short field and they jumped out to the lead in the 1st qtr. Once Katy figured out what Taylor was doing they scored 38 unanswered points and completely shut down the Taylor offense.

I do not think either team had the "horses to keep it respectable" without some help from Katy.

mike03car
11-11-2010, 05:45 PM
It's got Abilene going to the semi's so I love it...!!

Our biggest hurdle up to that point is the first one in just over 24hrs. Very short post-season or 4+ rounds deep.

Bass
11-11-2010, 05:49 PM

I think it's far more likely Katy lost focus or got complacent against those two teams. Against Taylor, Katy scored thirty eight unanswered points to take the lead and put them away. They stepped their game up after the half. If Taylor was able to keep up they would have, but after the first half they were never in the game. There shouldn't have been such a disparity from the first half to the second if Taylor was on Katy's level. Also, this was the week after Katy beat North Shore. I expect most teams would be riding a little too high after beating North Shore 44-6. Going into a game against an Alief school, who, other than Dada, with his Jordan Are' infatuation (:D), expected anything less than a 70-point win? I'm sure the kids did, and getting down early was a good lesson for them.

Against Memorial, Katy met their first opponent who was coached well enough and far enough along in the season to not pack it in at the half. Memorial had a playoff berth on the line every game in district, so even if they were constantly behind Katy by twenty one points they played like they were still in the game. I don't think Katy respected that about Memorial, or perhaps any team, at the time.

Trinity might be on a completely different level than anyone Katy's played, but that's beside the point. Katy came into their three ranked games and established themselves as the better team early and often. My angle is that at it's best, Katy's week of preparation is no less focused, intelligent or intense than anyone else's in the state, no matter how good or bad their opponent. As long as that transfers to game day execution Katy has a shot.

The Cinco game was a good indicator that Katy is heading in the right direction.

Bass
11-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Disguising free shots at Alief and Memorial?

Hardly.

tigerbd
11-11-2010, 05:53 PM
If both teams were to get through however like this predictor suggests, Trinity would have played a much tougher schedule and would have played teams close to Katy's standard. (Coppell, RRSP/KC). I'm not entirely sure I'd be willing to guarantee a Cinco Ranch win over Tyler Lee.

If things go as the projector says, Trinity may have played more elite teams than Katy in the playoffs, but I don't know if that hurts or helps.

It depends on if they have any gas (and tricks) left once they get to the finals.

Also, Katy will have had film to study that could highlight every weakness or fault Trinity might have that the other elite teams might have found. So far, neither Katy or Trinity have been pushed in a game and if you believe Katy has an easier road to the finals, there is less chance for them to have problems exposed.

I personally think the biggest change over the next 6 weeks for either team will be injury to key players. If one team gets bit worse than the other, they would have a huge disadvantage if they even get that far.

Bass
11-11-2010, 05:57 PM
If things go as the projector says, Trinity may have played more elite teams than Katy in the playoffs, but I don't know if that hurts or helps.

It depends on if they have any gas (and tricks) left once they get to the finals.

Also, Katy will have had film to study that could highlight every weakness or fault Trinity might have that the other elite teams might have found. So far, neither Katy or Trinity have been pushed in a game and if you believe Katy has an easier road to the finals, there is less chance for them to have problems exposed.

I personally think the biggest change over the next 6 weeks for either team will be injury to key players. If one team gets bit worse than the other, they would have a huge disadvantage if they even get that far.

My worry is that a lack of in-game reps could hurt Katy. Running a play in practice all season might not necessarily prepare you to run it in-game if the game's on the line the first time you call it. Everything they've run so far has been as close to perfect as you could hope for, but it took time to get there.

twcpfan1
11-11-2010, 05:59 PM

Yes. 5 rounds leading to the State game, anything can happen injury wise that can definitely affect the result of the final game.

cougmantx
11-11-2010, 06:17 PM
Yes. 5 rounds leading to the State game, anything can happen injury wise that can definitely affect the result of the final game.

I think both teams are pretty deep at the skill positions and both teams have rotated their 2 and 3rd's enough times to give them plenty of reps.

GameTyme
11-11-2010, 06:19 PM
For what it is worth I think Katy has played a more difficuly schedule then ET. Although my projections came out a little different.

ET over Katy

Lufkin over SA MacAurthur :D

I do like Lufkin's chances against the competition in Division 2.

jc84chill
11-11-2010, 06:23 PM
For what it is worth I think Katy has played a more difficuly schedule then ET. Although my projections came out a little different.

ET over Katy

Lufkin over SA MacAurthur :D

I do like Lufkin's chances against the competition in Division 2.

I like 'em as well. My personal pick has Lufkin over Cy Woods in D2. I like Lufkin with #7 in the backfield.

twcpfan1
11-11-2010, 06:25 PM
I think both teams are pretty deep at the skill positions and both teams have rotated their 2 and 3rd's enough times to give them plenty of reps.

Good Point. Yes

mike03car
11-11-2010, 06:32 PM
Hardly.
somehow my :p didnt make the post, to indicate a jest

twcpfan1
11-11-2010, 06:34 PM
I think it's far more likely Katy lost focus or got complacent against those two teams. Against Taylor, Katy scored thirty eight unanswered points to take the lead and put them away. They stepped their game up after the half. If Taylor was able to keep up they would have, but after the first half they were never in the game. There shouldn't have been such a disparity from the first half to the second if Taylor was on Katy's level. Also, this was the week after Katy beat North Shore. I expect most teams would be riding a little too high after beating North Shore 44-6. Going into a game against an Alief school, who, other than Dada, with his Jordan Are' infatuation (:D), expected anything less than a 70-point win? I'm sure the kids did, and getting down early was a good lesson for them.

Against Memorial, Katy met their first opponent who was coached well enough and far enough along in the season to not pack it in at the half. Memorial had a playoff berth on the line every game in district, so even if they were constantly behind Katy by twenty one points they played like they were still in the game. I don't think Katy respected that about Memorial, or perhaps any team, at the time.

Trinity might be on a completely different level than anyone Katy's played, but that's beside the point. Katy came into their three ranked games and established themselves as the better team early and often. My angle is that at it's best, Katy's week of preparation is no less focused, intelligent or intense than anyone else's in the state, no matter how good or bad their opponent. As long as that transfers to game day execution Katy has a shot.

The Cinco game was a good indicator that Katy is heading in the right direction.

Yes all good points. For all we know however, we may all be watching Harlingen and Plano in the State Final game :)

Bass
11-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Yes all good points. For all we know however, we may all be watching Harlingen and Plano in the State Final game :)

You've been reading my brackets.

LordByron
11-11-2010, 11:22 PM

I know, I know, its just a computor. Look at the computor that picked Trinity to lose against Shiloh Christain by 14?

Final in the real game Trinity 80 Shilon 27

I think realignment should be in order to even the playing field, some districts are riddled with poor teams send a average team into the playoffs, while some districts with loaded teams sit and watch sub-par teams like lake Highlands, Arlington Martin etc...move on. oh well (IMO)

Still want to take the predictors word, Not me, the real world demands more!

good luck!After calling Arlington Martin a sub-par team, I think I would choose a chicken pecking out winners over your predictions.

WestlandTiger'95
11-11-2010, 11:57 PM
the number of one point predictions in the Division II bracket is staggering. That is not a headliner bracket, but it may be one of the more competitive brackets in recent history. Should be a very fun postseason for texas football!:heli:

Super B
11-12-2010, 12:09 AM
After calling Arlington Martin a sub-par team, I think I would choose a chicken pecking out winners over your predictions.
Yeah, I don't think Martin is a sub-par team at all. The unfortunate luck for Martin is they are in the most difficult, most stacked region in the country (much less the state). They have been eliminated by Trinity 2 out of the last 3 years. 8-2 is not sub-par. :(

The Original
11-12-2010, 02:04 AM

This I would like to see.

tigerbd
11-12-2010, 09:31 AM

I agree that Katy and Trinity can probably handle losing several starters before it impacts the results. The problems occur if one or 2 positions get hit really hard. The loss of a starter might be managable, but when you lose 3 or more from the same or similar position, that changes the game.

For example, if they lose their #1 OL, DL, RB, and LB, they are probably OK. If they lose their top 4 from one of those groups, they probably have a problem.

Dawg82
11-12-2010, 11:16 PM
So much for my brackets! :(

cougmantx
11-12-2010, 11:27 PM
I agree that Katy and Trinity can probably handle losing several starters before it impacts the results. The problems occur if one or 2 positions get hit really hard. The loss of a starter might be managable, but when you lose 3 or more from the same or similar position, that changes the game.

For example, if they lose their #1 OL, DL, RB, and LB, they are probably OK. If they lose their top 4 from one of those groups, they probably have a problem.

Katy rotates so much you wouldn't know if the 1's or 2's are in. They like Trinity have plenty of depth...it's all good.

Mojomadness
11-13-2010, 06:38 AM

Ouch ! Without Hershel .... One must not base a team on one player.

TomballCougarDad
11-15-2010, 07:21 AM
We recently ran every game from the D1 and D2 brackets through our statistical predictor. Obviously, the game is played on the field and not on an excel spreadsheet (thankfully). For entertainment purposes only.

See results here: http://bit.ly/9BFMLu

Let's hear your throughts...

Not bad! :notworthy Round 1 predictor results:

predictions = 64
correct/incorrect predictions = 54/10
accuracy = .84375

TomballCougarDad
11-15-2010, 07:23 AM
Not bad! :notworthy Round 1 predictor results:

predictions = 64
correct/incorrect predictions = 54/10
accuracy = .84375

That Copperas Cove champion prediction will weigh heavy :p on final accuracy....