PDA

View Full Version : Blocking schemes for smaller lines

AHSeagles
11-08-2010, 09:02 PM
Now days, zone blocking has taken over as the predominant scheme I see utilized by teams that don't normally produce lineman big enough to do much man on man blocking. I also see tackles pulling all the way across the formation to pick up the defensive end (or whoever shows up first) allowing the play side guard and tackle to double team, then get off to the second level. All can be effective, but whatever happened to the entire offensive line cut blocking right off the line of scrimmage? Permian back in their glory days was notorious for their small lineman dropping bigger defenders all over the field using mass amounts of cut blocks.

This is the 1987 Permian vs. Arlington playoff game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTEeDuzgWQ8

The thing I find interesting is that both teams do a ton of cut blocking almost immediately, but Permian especially. Even the pulling lineman for Mojo that get to the linebacker or secondary level are cutting guys down field. Has this proven to not be effective anymore?*

*When I played I was a QB, so I know very little about the offensive line schemes.

The King
11-10-2010, 01:01 PM
I don't find that type of cut blocking as effective, they stopped coaching at at Katy between the 93 and 94 seasons I think, but to me it was a harder block to make.

FRS90
01-30-2011, 03:10 PM
Now days, zone blocking has taken over as the predominant scheme I see utilized by teams that don't normally produce lineman big enough to do much man on man blocking. I also see tackles pulling all the way across the formation to pick up the defensive end (or whoever shows up first) allowing the play side guard and tackle to double team, then get off to the second level. All can be effective, but whatever happened to the entire offensive line cut blocking right off the line of scrimmage? Permian back in their glory days was notorious for their small lineman dropping bigger defenders all over the field using mass amounts of cut blocks.

The thing I find interesting is that both teams do a ton of cut blocking almost immediately, but Permian especially. Even the pulling lineman for Mojo that get to the linebacker or secondary level are cutting guys down field. Has this proven to not be effective anymore?*

*When I played I was a QB, so I know very little about the offensive line schemes.

Regrettably we have seen an increase in Zone Blocking Schemes at the high school level....with Size being the excuse for moving away from a man blocking scheme.

However, unless you are sporting 5'10 200lbs OL....their is no need to move away from a Man blocking scheme. I believe Offensive line coaching is one of the worst coached positions in this state. I believe zone blocking is taught because coaches are too lazy to teach technique.

Austin109
02-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Zone blocking allows for better containment of the front 7 if done correctly. Its easy to teach, just as effective if not more, it is less dependent on size/strength. For a position as technique dependent as O-line is it allows one to focus more on technique and less on play memorization.

Thats just my thinking on it though.

FarmerFootballPlayer
03-24-2011, 12:27 AM
Zone blocking allows for better containment of the front 7 if done correctly. Its easy to teach, just as effective if not more, it is less dependent on size/strength. For a position as technique dependent as O-line is it allows one to focus more on technique and less on play memorization.

Thats just my thinking on it though.

This. I played Center in HS, we had at least a dozen running plays but I pretty much only had two or three different blocks to make. It allows you to use the advantages of a smaller, quicker line with combo blocking. Very simple to teach and pick up and allows for a lot more time working on blocking drills.

I wouldn't go to cut blocking, it really only works on outside runs and is a lot harder to properly execute than you think. Plus, if you do it more than a few times a game, a defense will start to pick up on it and you won't even be able to get them down. Time for a new RB.

titus211
08-18-2011, 05:59 PM

Our coaches did not want big, slow linemen, they wanted small, aggressive guys that could scramble block and stay on their man till the whistle blew. The fat kids road the bench at my HS.