PDA

View Full Version : What is your definition of a POWERHOUSE high school football team?

grayowl60
03-13-2006, 10:33 AM
Seems some fans CLAIM thier team as a powerhouse when they a have a few good years. My opinion eliminates my team, Garland, right now because they have not gone far in the playoffs in the last few years. But the Owls have some Rings, play tough, and scare the xxxx out of some "power house" teams from time to time.
IN MY opinion, a powehouse has:
Been district champion or in the playoffs consitently in the last ten years
won a state championship
has made at least the third round regularly
Again, this is MY OPINION. I am interested in other viewpoints.

grayowl60
03-13-2006, 10:38 AM
Seems some fans CLAIM thier team as a powerhouse when they a have a few good years. My opinion eliminates my team, Garland, right now because they have not gone far in the playoffs in the last few years. But the Owls have some Rings, play tough, and scare the xxxx out of some "power house" teams from time to time.
IN MY opinion, a powehouse has:
Been district champion or in the playoffs consitently in the last ten years
won a state championship
has made at least the third round regularly
Again, this is MY OPINION. I am interested in other viewpoints.
sorry is misspelled powerhouse. its my keyboards fault:o

dragonsdaddy
03-13-2006, 10:39 AM
you now must define regularly. also, to the chagrin of the teams that regularly get a bye during the po's, occ losing to a team that wins out isn't a true black mark. et lost a couple of times in the first round to alamar. imac has had the misfortune of playing slc early. and the owls have had a wicked test in the first round for 4 years at least. i would definitely put et and garland in the powerhouse category. neither fit under yours.

CKE
03-13-2006, 10:39 AM
is a threat every year to win state and othe coaches wory about playing.

Gridiron Gopher
03-13-2006, 10:50 AM
is a threat every year to win state and othe coaches wory about playing.

Why would you guys start another thread on this???????? You have already destroyed a good thread and now you want to start another. I think you 3 should get a room and get it over with. :D

dragonsdaddy
03-13-2006, 10:54 AM
Why would you guys start another thread on this???????? You have already destroyed a good thread and now you want to start another. I think you 3 should get a room and get it over with. :D
issues????

grayowl60
03-13-2006, 10:56 AM
ok, thanks:rolleyes:

SeguinMatadors
03-13-2006, 11:14 AM
A powerhouse is a team that consistently is a threat to win state. A team that consistently makes deep playoff runs. A team that can win their region in any given year. A school that you would consistently consider a top 10 team in the state in pretty much ever year over a 5-6 year period of time.

CKE
03-13-2006, 11:49 AM
A powerhouse is a team that consistently is a threat to win state. A team that consistently makes deep playoff runs. A team that can win their region in any given year. A school that you would consistently consider a top 10 team in the state in pretty much ever year over a 5-6 year period of time.

A team that knocks off other teams that have won state for the past 5 years would be a powerhouse

dragonfootballfan
03-13-2006, 01:16 PM
a powerhouse team has had a large amount of success recently including a state championship.

Slim-Rob
03-13-2006, 01:16 PM
Judson
In last 16 seasons:
8 District Championships (consistantly one of the toughest districts in the state)
4 State Championships in 8 apearances.
177-37-3
11- 10+ win seasons

5 losses last season was most since 1976 (2-7-1)

I think that is good enough for Powerhouse status...

dragonsdaddy
03-13-2006, 01:23 PM
Judson
In last 16 seasons:
8 District Championships (consistantly one of the toughest districts in the state)
4 State Championships in 8 apearances.
177-37-3
11- 10+ win seasons

5 losses last season was most since 1976 (2-7-1)

I think that is good enough for Powerhouse status...
ya think, mr obviousman?

Firebird
03-13-2006, 03:23 PM
For me, for a team to obtain powerhouse status, they must:

1. Win at least 2 state championships over the course of 10 years.

2. Win at least 7 district championships over the same 10 years.

3. Advance at least 3 rounds deep in 4 of those years.

4. Never miss the playoffs over the course of those years.

5. Nver finish below .500 over those years.

Why 10 years? Becuase that gives you a good feel for the program's development. A team that can maintian at a high level for 10 years is a team that has developed a system and culture of winning, which is more impressive than a fluky team that just happens to have the stars align and gets a couple of talented classes. A team that can win without the big time stars is the mark of a true powerhouse. Teams like Katy, Judson, SLC, Odessa Permian, Plano.

lonny23
03-13-2006, 03:33 PM

Why 10 years? Becuase that gives you a good feel for the program's development. A team that can maintian at a high level for 10 years is a team that has developed a system and culture of winning, which is more impressive than a fluky team that just happens to have the stars align and gets a couple of talented classes. A team that can win without the big time stars is the mark of a true powerhouse. Teams like Katy, Judson, SLC, Odessa Permian, Plano.
I don't think you have to make the playoffs in all 10 years because great teams can have down years and go 7-3 and miss the playoffs. Judson hasn't had a losing season since 1976, but still missed the playoffs in some of the years from the late 70's to 81, 99, 03, and almost did it last year.

A powerhouse has to be a threat to take their region and state almost every year and it's not so much about the number of titles, because only 2 teams get one each year and there are at least 20 very good to great teams each year.

Current powerhouses are:

Euless Trinity
Southlake Carroll
Lufkin
Katy
Converse Judson
Smithson Valley

Abilene, Tyler Lee, Galena Park North Shore, and Spring Westfield could be with more great teams.

CKE
03-13-2006, 03:33 PM

then by your definition SLC is not a power house because they have not made the playoffs for 10 straight years and they have big time stars?

dragonfootballfan
03-13-2006, 03:45 PM

I am not sure any team fits that criteria. Maybe Katy, but I don't think any others fit it. Are we to believe there is only one powerhouse football program in Texas.

CKE
03-13-2006, 03:46 PM
I am not sure any team fits that criteria. Maybe Katy, but I don't think any others fit it. Are we to believe there is only one powerhouse football program in Texas.

ha you seem to narrow it down to a select few as well

dragonfootballfan
03-13-2006, 03:49 PM
ha you seem to narrow it down to a select few as well
I have more than one team though.

I currently have

Carroll
Judson
Katy
Lufkin
North Shore
Trinity

Firebird
03-13-2006, 03:51 PM
I guess I could knock off the 10 straight playoff appearances, to that a team must have no more than 1 or 2 down years. I don't think about how many teams do have an off season.

Firebird
03-13-2006, 03:52 PM
I don't think Trinity belongs on the powerhouse list yet.

CKE
03-13-2006, 03:53 PM
I have more than one team though.

I currently have

Carroll
Judson
Katy
Lufkin
North Shore
Trinity

i didnt say one team i said a select few like you just posted even though sv has beat 2 of these "powerhouse " teams but there is no point arguing with your logic you have shown how ignorant you can be and will come back with another "side step" comment

CKE
03-13-2006, 03:55 PM
I don't think Trinity belongs on the powerhouse list yet.

all of DFW area people are going to disagree with you because of the outstanding year the area had and is still having. trinity did deserve a state title this year but just because they won a title does not make them a powerhouse

Firebird
03-13-2006, 03:56 PM
Coolestkid, SV has a great program, but until they have a state championship, there is no point in listing them as a powerhouse. Are they a Region IV powerhouse-- sure. Statewide-- nope.

I think that with the new playoff format, 4 teams going, missing the playoffs is going to be a bigger knock against a team than it was in the past. I forgot there for a moment that much of Judson's, Plano's and Permian's success came when only 1 or 2 teams got in.

Firebird
03-13-2006, 03:57 PM
Give Trinity some more time. They only just began to make noise. Right now they are a good football program, but MAINTAINING is what earns powerhouse status.

dragonfootballfan
03-13-2006, 03:57 PM
i didnt say one team i said a select few like you just posted even though sv has beat 2 of these "powerhouse " teams but there is no point arguing with your logic you have shown how ignorant you can be and will come back with another "side step" comment
Powerhouses get beaten, but that does not mean that the team that beats them is a powerhouse.

dragonfootballfan
03-13-2006, 03:58 PM
Give Trinity some more time. They only just began to make noise. Right now they are a good football program, but MAINTAINING is what earns powerhouse status.
in the last five years, Trinity has made it to the semifinals three times and has won a state championship. To me, they are a powerhouse.

CKE
03-13-2006, 04:01 PM
Coolestkid, SV has a great program, but until they have a state championship, there is no point in listing them as a powerhouse. Are they a Region IV powerhouse-- sure. Statewide-- nope.

I think that with the new playoff format, 4 teams going, missing the playoffs is going to be a bigger knock against a team than it was in the past. I forgot there for a moment that much of Judson's, Plano's and Permian's success came when only 1 or 2 teams got in.

lol how are they not a state wide powerhouse if they have knocked off these "powerhouse" teams such as katy, westlake and judson in the past 5 years tell me i mean if these programs were such "powerhouses' they should not all be losing to a team that just has a "great program" and in order to make it to a state game 3 out of the past 5 years you have to beat teams that are not in reigon IV...............

Firebird
03-13-2006, 04:03 PM
That's five years. I am really selective about who I bestow powerhouse status on. I don't give it to Midland Lee, though they won 3 titles in a row, beacuse they basically rode Cedric Benson and dissappeared when he left. Trinity isn't there yet, but are on the way.

CKE
Powerhouses get beaten, but that does not mean that the team that beats them is a powerhouse.

lol i know its weird that all the powerhouse teams have one thing in common.........that they have all lost to a non powerhouse team named SV in the past 5 years :rolleyes:

dragonfootballfan
lol how are they not a state wide powerhouse if they have knocked off these "powerhouse" teams such as katy, westlake and judson in the past 5 years tell me i mean if these programs were such "powerhouses' they should not all be losing to a team that just has a "great program" and in order to make it to a state game 3 out of the past 5 years you have to beat teams that are not in reigon IV...............
they have not won a state championship. When they win one they will be a powerhouse..

dragonfootballfan
03-13-2006, 04:05 PM
lol i know its weird that all the powerhouse teams have one thing in common.........that they have all lost to a non powerhouse team named SV in the past 5 years :rolleyes:
Smithson Valley has not been able to beat all of the powerhouse teams in the last five years.

Firebird
03-13-2006, 04:05 PM
A team isn't a powerhouse until they come home with a ring showing that they are the best in the state at LEAST once. It is not a knock against what SV has accomplished, but they need to prove that they can come home with the big one.

Tech has beaten Oklahoma, Nebraska, Kansas State UT, nationally ranked Aggie teams, and number 4 Cal in the past 5 years, but I don't conisider the Red Raiders a national powerhouse in college.

CKE
03-13-2006, 04:06 PM
in the last five years, Trinity has made it to the semifinals three times and has won a state championship. To me, they are a powerhouse.

lol like i said all you can do is ride your state title theory and dont come up with anything else other than that. if trinity is a powerhouse then SV an if you disagree you make youself just look silly.

CKE
03-13-2006, 04:07 PM
they have not won a state championship. When they win one they will be a powerhouse..

again the lame state title theory.............

dragonfootballfan
03-13-2006, 04:08 PM
lol like i said all you can do is ride your state title theory and dont come up with anything else other than that. if trinity is a powerhouse then SV an if you disagree you make youself just look silly.
why would I look silly if I said that Trinity was a powerhouse and Smithson Valley is not. Trinity has accomplished more than Smithson Valley has over the last 5 years than Smithson Valley has.

Firebird
State titles have a lot to do with things. Winning the big one is a tough, tough thing to do. A powerhouse has to get the top of the mountain at least once.

dragonfootballfan
why is it lame? Is it because it leaves Smithson Valley out?

CKE
03-13-2006, 04:09 PM
Smithson Valley has not been able to beat all of the powerhouse teams in the last five years.

if you read up you would know the 3 powerhouse teams i was talking about but thats the problem with you. you get something stuck in your head and no matter how many fact someone hammers you with you try to dodge the bullet.

RPM
03-13-2006, 04:11 PM

thats how i see it..

CKE
why is it lame? Is it because it leaves Smithson Valley out?

lol no because more people than me have thrown facts at you and all you can say is "we'll they dont have a state title". and i love the whole answer with a question thing again now its not seguin that has you reaching its me because you always go back to this tactic when you are backed into the corner

dragonfootballfan
if you read up you would know the 3 powerhouse teams i was talking about but thats the problem with you. you get something stuck in your head and no matter how many fact someone hammers you with you try to dodge the bullet.
They have beaten 3 powerhouse teams, that is great. Now if they win a title they can join those teams and be a powerhouse.

dragonfootballfan
03-13-2006, 04:13 PM
lol no because more more people than me have thrown facts at you and all you can say is "we'll they dont have a state title". and i love the whole answer with a question thing again now its not seguin that has you reaching its me because you always go back to this tactic when you are backed into the corner
I am not using a gimmick, or backing down when I ask a question. I just don't know how more clear about it I can be. I am trying every way to show you that I don't feel you are a powerhouse until you win a state championship, and then you can be considered. I am not the only person that thinks this way.

Firebird
03-13-2006, 04:13 PM
I am on board with dragonfootball fan. A team cannot be considerd a consistent threat to win state until they have actually come away with a win in a stae championship game and prove they have what it takes.

grayowl60
03-13-2006, 04:14 PM
LMAO, I am learning something in my old age. I always thought that is why they had playoff games.... to win state:rolleyes: Yes recent state champions are ah...powerhouses

dragonsdaddy
03-13-2006, 04:15 PM
i would call sv a powerhouse, with or without a ring. they have won as many po games as every team not named slc over the last 4 years. that is an enviable and important statistic. po wins are the most important ones and sv has a bunch.

CKE
03-13-2006, 04:17 PM
I am not using a gimmick, or backing down when I ask a question. I just don't know how more clear about it I can be. I am trying every way to show you that I don't feel you are a powerhouse until you win a state championship, and then you can be considered. I am not the only person that thinks this way.

lol yes you are thats the way you post. when you dont know you dont know what to say and ask a question the great thing about this board is everyone can look back at all your posts and see that is what you do ...........and what is your point with the whole"im not the only one that thinks this way" im not the only one that thinks SV is a powerhouse..............

dragonfootballfan
03-13-2006, 04:19 PM
lol yes you are thats the way you post. when you dont know you dont know what to say and ask a question the great thing about this board is everyone can look back at all your posts and see that is what you do ...........and what is your point with the whole"im not the only one that thinks this way" im not the only one that thinks SV is a powerhouse..............
you are acting as if I am the only one that thinks Smithson Valley is not a powerhouse. I am telling you otherwise, because the people that have a different opinion than you are not fools or lame as you call me or my arguments.

CKE
03-13-2006, 04:20 PM
LMAO, I am learning something in my old age. I always thought that is why they had playoff games.... to win state:rolleyes: Yes recent state champions are ah...powerhouses

man then those perminan and plano teams must be the best powerhouse teams in the state with all those titles. and im glad such a young person could teach and older man new things

grayowl60
03-13-2006, 04:21 PM
A state powerhouse has won state. MY OPINION!

grayowl60
03-13-2006, 04:22 PM
man then those perminan and plano teams must be the best powerhouse teams in the state with all those titles. and im glad such a young person could teach and older man new things
Get a ring, be powerhouse junior:eek:

dragonfootballfan
A state powerhouse has won state. MY OPINION!

CKE
you are acting as if I am the only one that thinks Smithson Valley is not a powerhouse. I am telling you otherwise, because the people that have a different opinion than you are not fools or lame as you call me or my arguments.

LMAO how am i acting if you are the only person. if someone else says something i respond to them as well. you are just the only one that is getting offended by it. but if you want me to stop picking on you i will i didnt mean to make you cry :rolleyes:

CKE
03-13-2006, 04:23 PM
Get a ring, be powerhousr junior:eek:

lol i love how that had nothing to do with my comment. are you taking pointers form DFF by dodging those bullets

SeguinMatadors
03-13-2006, 04:24 PM
i would call sv a powerhouse, with or without a ring. they have won as many po games as every team not named slc over the last 4 years. that is an enviable and important statistic. po wins are the most important ones and sv has a bunch.

Most people would agree. Some people can't see the difference between a powerhouse and a dynasty.

dragonfootballfan
03-13-2006, 04:24 PM
LMAO how am i acting if you are the only person. if someone else says something i respond to them as well. you are just the only one that is getting offended by it. but if you want me to stop picking on you i will i didnt mean to make you cry :rolleyes:
you are the one calling me lame or a fool. What you do not understand, is when you call me that for having one opinion is you are calling everbody else that shares my opinion the same names.

dragonfootballfan
03-13-2006, 04:25 PM
lol i love how that had nothing to do with my comment. are you taking pointers form DFF by dodging those bullets
its not dodging bullets. It is expressing our opinion.

dragonfootballfan
03-13-2006, 04:26 PM
Most people would agree. Some people can't see the difference between a powerhouse and a dynasty.
to be a dynasty you have to win multiple championships. To be a powerhouse you do not. I have listed North Shore, Lufkin and Trinity as powerhouses. They are most certainly not dynastys, but they are powerhouses.

CKE
03-13-2006, 04:30 PM
you are the one calling me lame or a fool. What you do not understand, is when you call me that for having one opinion is you are calling everbody else that shares my opinion the same names.

no i think you are a fool for not answering questions and doing nothing but responding with a question and yer it would be dodging a bullet. everyone understands your opinion and respects it but when you are slammed with a fact and dont answer it you look very foolish

dragonfootballfan
03-13-2006, 04:32 PM
no i think you are a fool for not answering questions and doing nothing but responding with a question and yer it would be dodging a bullet. everyone understands your opinion and respects it but when you are slammed with a fact and dont answer it you look very foolish
the only fact that I need to know in order to make a decision regarding Smithson Valley's powerhouse status is that they do not have a state championship victory. The other facts are meaningless until they get the ring

CKE
03-13-2006, 04:32 PM
like i said if you want me to stop picking on you and being the first person to prove you wrong since famerfan i will. im not here to make a grown man cry so im sorry

dragonfootballfan
03-13-2006, 04:33 PM
like i said if you want me to stop picking on you and being the first person to prove you wrong since famerfan i will. im not here to make a grown man cry so im sorry
I am not crying, and you are not proving me wrong. Farmerfan and I were civil in our arguments and he had insightful facts. You have BS about how Smithson Valley has beaten three powerhouse teams and how I am dodging you by asking questions.

CKE
03-13-2006, 04:34 PM
the only fact that I need to know in order to make a decision regarding Smithson Valley's powerhouse status is that they do not have a state championship victory. The other facts are meaningless until they get the ring

like i said befor you think you are never wrong. out of 3,454 posts you have admitted it once................. i think everyone can be the judge of the type of person you are

CKE
03-13-2006, 04:37 PM
I am not crying, and you are not proving me wrong. Farmerfan and I were civil in our arguments and he had insightful facts. You have BS about how Smithson Valley has beaten three powerhouse teams and how I am dodging you by asking questions.

lol i dont really think most of the people on this board care what you think is BS facts just looking back at some old threads and really i dont think most people pay care hat your opinion is either. and the only reason you are not coming clean and saying you are wrong is because you like to start stuff with SV poeple and SV people only

dragonfootballfan
03-13-2006, 04:37 PM
like i said befor you think you are never wrong. out of 3,454 posts you have admitted it once................. i think everyone can be the judge of the type of person you are
how many times have you admitted that you are wrong? I have admitted that I was wrong a few times when arguing with farmerfan, but I do not remember a specific instance

What type of person am I? You can come out and say it. Its alright. I am not offended and will not be offended no matter what you say. I just want to know what you think of me, and what everyone can figure out.

dragonfootballfan
03-13-2006, 04:38 PM
lol i dont really think most of the people on this board care what you think is BS facts just looking back at some old threads and really i dont think most people pay care hat your opinion is either. and the only reason you are not coming clean and saying you are wrong is because you like to start stuff with SV poeple and SV people only
I did not start anything. I just said that I did not think that Smithson Valley was a powerhouse. I have also been in huge arguments with Lufkin fans and also Trinity fans. I do not discriminate. I like to post with all the fans on the board.

CKE
03-13-2006, 04:39 PM
I did not start anything. I just said that I did not think that Smithson Valley was a powerhouse. I have also been in huge arguments with Lufkin fans and also Trinity fans. I do not discriminate. I like to post with all the fans on the board.

ok then lets see you dodge thi one

Miss Kitty
03-13-2006, 04:40 PM
Guys chill. Read the title of this thread. What is YOUR definition........
There is no right or wrong here. This is a subjective thread. Certianly not worth this stand off. There will be more important things to strongly debate later in the year I am sure.

dragonfootballfan
03-13-2006, 04:41 PM
ok then lets see you dodge thi one
dodge what? you quoted me.

CKE
03-13-2006, 04:48 PM
dodge what? you quoted me.

just wait bro ill find it and i will quote you again and we will see what you have to say ill give you this one right now i guess

You just have to ignore this guy, he just tries to start crap with everyone I guess, not just me. He is one of those that talks smack behind the keyboard, but passes you at the game, and wishes you a great game, and says how much respect he has for your team..

thats sums up what other people think of you and dont worry i will find more since you want to know so bad what other people think about you

dragonfootballfan
03-13-2006, 04:52 PM
just wait bro ill find it and i will quote you again and we will see what you have to say ill give you this one right now i guess

thats sums up what other people think of you and dont worry i will find more since you want to know so bad what other people think about you
All the people you will find disagreed with me. You can find a lot more. Not many people think too much of some of the things I say, because I do not hold back. I can show you a PM that was sent to me by somebody if the Mods would let me. I used to have it in my signature, but they deleted it. It showed how one person really felt about me. I don't care what any of you think about me. I already have enough friends. I just want to share my opinion

CKE
03-13-2006, 04:56 PM
All the people you will find disagreed with me. You can find a lot more. Not many people think too much of some of the things I say, because I do not hold back. I can show you a PM that was sent to me by somebody if the Mods would let me. I used to have it in my signature, but they deleted it. It showed how one person really felt about me. I don't care what any of you think about me. I already have enough friends. I just want to share my opinion

why would you like to share your opinoin with a bunch of people that could really care less what it is. if you have so many friends then why are you not sharing it with them assuming they care:confused:

dragonfootballfan
03-13-2006, 04:58 PM
why would you like to share your opinoin with a bunch of people that could really care less what it is. if you have so many friends then why are you not sharing it with them assuming they care:confused:
I am sharing my opinion with people that are interested in high school football. I said I do not care what the people think about me, I did not say I do not care about the people reading this board. I do share my opinion with my friends, but I also enjoy sharing it with the people on the board.

I guess you are the one that is dodging now becuase you are the asking questions.

SeguinMatadors
03-13-2006, 05:02 PM
Lets be real here... Dragonfootballfan doesn't want to acknowledge SV as a powerhouse becuase he is a fan of SL and feels the need to be superior. The less "powerhouses" there are the more elite you become, isn't that right DFF?

CKE
03-13-2006, 05:05 PM
I am sharing my opinion with people that are interested in high school football. I said I do not care what the people think about me, I did not say I do not care about the people reading this board. I do share my opinion with my friends, but I also enjoy sharing it with the people on the board.

I guess you are the one that is dodging now becuase you are the asking questions.

lol you havent given me a bullet to dodge when you do let me know. all i am saying is you post and people dont care what you say thats it but im done now. i really can not believe i argued with you for this long.........dont worry you are good at what you do

dragonfootballfan
03-13-2006, 05:06 PM
Lets be real here... Dragonfootballfan doesn't want to acknowledge SV as a powerhouse becuase he is a fan of SL and feels the need to be superior. The less "powerhouses" there are the more elite you become, isn't that right DFF?
so now you are telling me what I think. I find it hard to believe that you are so wrong about my line of thinking when I have repeatedly stated that I don't think that Smithson Valley is a powerhouse because they have not won a state championship. It has nothing to do with feeling superior or elite. It has all to do with Smithson Valley's lack of a state championship

dragonfootballfan
03-13-2006, 05:06 PM
lol you havent given me a bullet to dodge when you do let me know. all i am saying is you post and people dont care what you say thats it but im done now. i really can not believe i argued with you for this long.........dont worry you are good at what you do
you have been dodging my main bullet the entire time, by trying to discount the need for a powerhouse to be a state champion.

grayowl60
03-13-2006, 05:07 PM
One glitch in my own idea of what a powerhouse is: Longview. One of the best programs in the state, they have been in what I think is the best district in the state, schedule the most powerful teams they can in non district, and cant get over the hump in the playoffs for some reason (Lufkin). I think they are as good as many of the state finalist in the last few years.I know I hope Garland never sees them again in the playoffs:eek: Longview is a powerhouse. MY OPINION!

CKE
03-13-2006, 05:12 PM
you have been dodging my main bullet the entire time, by trying to discount the need for a powerhouse to be a state champion.

^^^^ post of a so called mature adult

^^^^ post of a 18 year old kid aaaaaaaannd POW im done lol

CKE
03-13-2006, 05:13 PM
One glitch in my own idea of what a powerhouse is: Longview. One of the best programs in the state, they have been in what I think is the best district in the state, schedule the most powerful teams they can in non district, and cant get over the hump in the playoffs for some reason (Lufkin). I think they are as good as many of the state finalist in the last few years.I know I hope Garland never sees them again in the playoffs:eek: Longview is a powerhouse. MY OPINION!

yeah you have your own opinion i guess

dragonfootballfan
03-13-2006, 05:15 PM
^^^^ post of a so called mature adult

^^^^ post of a 18 year old kid aaaaaaaannd POW im done lol
what are you trying to prove here?

SeguinMatadors
03-13-2006, 05:16 PM

SV wins more playoff games and plays in a harder district... if Longview is a powerhouse SV is. Stop with the regional bias.

CKE
03-13-2006, 05:16 PM
what are you trying to prove here?

LOL

SeguinMatadors
03-13-2006, 05:18 PM
so now you are telling me what I think. I find it hard to believe that you are so wrong about my line of thinking when I have repeatedly stated that I don't think that Smithson Valley is a powerhouse because they have not won a state championship. It has nothing to do with feeling superior or elite. It has all to do with Smithson Valley's lack of a state championship

Right... and that is the clause you threw in to assure SV wasn't amongst the "elite".

dragonfootballfan
03-13-2006, 05:18 PM
LOL
I would really like to know.

dragonfootballfan
03-13-2006, 05:19 PM
Right... and that is the clause you threw in to assure SV wasn't amongst the "elite".
no, I really feel that you should not be a powerhouse until you have won a state championship. If Carroll had no championships, I would not have them as a powerhouse.

CKE
03-13-2006, 05:21 PM
SV wins more playoff games and plays in a harder district... if Longview is a powerhouse SV is. Stop with the regional bias.

but that is mine and your opinion seguin and grayowl has givin his. there is nothing wrong with it as long as he does not make dumb post that try to start stuff with us then its a pretty good post i think

SeguinMatadors
03-13-2006, 05:25 PM
but that is mine and your opinion seguin and grayowl has givin his. there is nothing wrong with it as long as he does not make dumb post that try to start stuff with us then its a pretty good post i think

I am just saying... I may or may not agree that Longview is a powehouse (I do) but the fact is... it is impossible to consider them a powerhouse and not SV.

CKE
03-13-2006, 05:27 PM
I would really like to know.

LOL i bet you do

CKE
03-13-2006, 05:28 PM
I am just saying... I may or may not agree that Longview is a powehouse (I do) but the fact is... it is impossible to consider them a powerhouse and not SV.

o i know i think longview is a powerhouse to but it is an opinion

dragonfootballfan
03-13-2006, 05:30 PM
I agree with you. If Longview is a powerhouse, then Smithson Valley is definitely one. I also do not think these roles can be reversed. If Smithson Valley is deemed a powerhouse, that should not necessarily mean that Longview is one.

I am not saying that either of these schools is a powerhouse, just that if you consider Longview one you must hold Smithson Valley in the same regard. My stance on the championship issue has not changed

SeguinMatadors
03-13-2006, 05:34 PM
I agree with you. If Longview is a powerhouse, then Smithson Valley is definitely one. I also do not think these roles can be reversed. If Smithson Valley is deemed a powerhouse, that should not necessarily mean that Longview is one.

I am not saying that either of these schools is a powerhouse, just that if you consider Longview one you must hold Smithson Valley in the same regard. My stance on the championship issue has not changed

Exactly. At least we agree on something.

grayowl60
03-13-2006, 05:54 PM

Longview HAS won a championship! In 1937:D lol Its the competition they face year in and year out that sets them apart. Lee, Lufkin, JT. They are always, ALWAYS, in the hunt.

Slim-Rob
03-13-2006, 06:17 PM

Coolestkid, SV did not "knock off" Judson. They beat Judson ONCE. SV is not the only one to have beaten Judson. Does this make EVERY team that beats Judson a powerhouse? Is Churchill a powerhouse? They must be, because they beat the powerhouse that is Judson AND they beat the "powerhouse" that is SV.

SeguinMatadors
03-13-2006, 06:29 PM
Coolestkid, SV did not "knock off" Judson. They beat Judson ONCE. SV is not the only one to have beaten Judson. Does this make EVERY team that beats Judson a powerhouse? Is Churchill a powerhouse? They must be, because they beat the powerhouse that is Judson AND they beat the "powerhouse" that is SV.

That point is irrelevant... comparing SV and Churchill is apples and oranges. They are two totally different progams with two totally different resigmes. That was just one of the many points in a long line to prove SV's worthiness.

grayowl60
03-13-2006, 06:31 PM
ok,ok. let me give you a teams record, and give me your "educated" opinion if this is a powerhouse team.
Played in five state championship games
Won four state championships
Won a state championship in the last seven years

Ranked in the top ten, and the top fifteen nationaly in the last seven years
Twelve playoffs in thirteen years
Nine district titles in eleven years
116-34 record since 94
Eighteen DI players in the last four years
Fiftytwo players gone on to play college ball in the last four years
Is THIS a powerhouse?:confused:

Slim-Rob
03-13-2006, 06:33 PM
ok,ok. let me give you a teams record, and give me your "educated" opinion if this is a powerhouse team.

116-34 record since 94
Sounds like SLC.

Depends though. You said they won a state championship in the past 7 years.

SeguinMatadors
03-13-2006, 06:33 PM

116-34 record since 94

That is a powerhouse.

CKE
03-13-2006, 06:37 PM

no but churchill didnt beat katy and westlake as well.........

grayowl60
03-13-2006, 06:38 PM
That is a powerhouse.
GO OWLS!

Slim-Rob
03-13-2006, 06:39 PM
no but churchill didnt beat katy and westlake as well.........

So if you beat a certain number of "powerhouses" you become a powerhouse?

CKE
03-13-2006, 06:41 PM

ummmmmmm yes if you can beat a team that is a powerhouse when you are so called "not" and contend for a title every year then yes you are a powerhouse

Slim-Rob
03-13-2006, 06:43 PM
ummmmmmm yes if you can beat a team that is a powerhouse when you are so called "not" and contend for a title every year then yes you are a powerhouse

Let me ask you this. And lets be serious.

Lets say an NFL team goes to the superbowl 4 times in a row. They lose ALL 4. Are they a powerhouse????

SeguinMatadors
03-13-2006, 06:43 PM

Has Churchill won district titles in 26-5a lately? Have they won region 4 a couple of times in recent memory? Have they played in state championship games? Have they been amongst the top 10 ranked teams coming into the season and finishing the season in recent memory?

Slim-Rob
03-13-2006, 06:45 PM
Has Churchill won district titles in 26-5a lately? Have they won region 4 a couple of times in recent memory? Have they played in state championship games? Have they been amongst the top 10 ranked teams coming into the season and finishing the season in recent memory?

I'm not saying SV isn't a powerhouse. I'm just wondering how beating a few powerhouses has anything to do with being a powerhouse.

SeguinMatadors
03-13-2006, 06:46 PM

Lets say an NFL team goes to the superbowl 4 times in a row. They lose ALL 4. Are they a powerhouse????

First of all, the NFL and HS football are two completely different situations. In that NFL situation though, I would say... without a doubt. I consider the Colts a powerhouse. The Bills were a powerhouse.

Slim-Rob
03-13-2006, 06:46 PM
First of all, the NFL and HS football are two completely different situations. In that NFL situation though, I would say... without a doubt. I consider the Colts a powerhouse. The Bills were a powerhouse.

Were the Cowboys a powerhouse?

SeguinMatadors
03-13-2006, 06:47 PM
I'm not saying SV isn't a powerhouse. I'm just wondering how beating a few powerhouses has anything to do with being a powerhouse.

I think it was just one of the many credentials on a long list of credentials. That is the problem with you picking that one statement out, you didn't take into consideration the context in which it was posted.

SeguinMatadors
03-13-2006, 06:48 PM
Were the Cowboys a powerhouse?

The Cowboys were a dynasty.

Slim-Rob
03-13-2006, 06:50 PM
I think it was just one of the many credentials on a long list of credentials. That is the problem with you picking that one statement out, you didn't take into consideration the context in which it was posted.

I have not seen any SV stats posted thus far. How many playoff wins do they have in the past 5 years? What is their overall record in the past 5 years?

In actuality, right now I don't consider Judson a powerhouse. Judson is still a dynasty, but we are not really a powerhouse. IMO

SeguinMatadors
03-13-2006, 06:52 PM
I have not seen any SV stats posted thus far. How many playoff wins do they have in the past 5 years? What is their overall record in the past 5 years?

In actuality, right now I don't consider Judson a powerhouse. Judson is still a dynasty, but we are not really a powerhouse. IMO

You would have to go back to the other thread... this was just a continuation. Pages and pages and pages over there on the same topic.

Slim-Rob
03-13-2006, 06:53 PM
You would have to go back to the other thread... this was just a continuation. Pages and pages and pages over there on the same topic.

Really, the only reason I am messin' with coolest is because no one is talkin' anywhere else. This is the only thread thats up and going.

dragonsdaddy
03-13-2006, 06:53 PM
and btw cke, what makes your stuff not stink. in general you are one of the haughtiest and least likeable posters on here, imo. i agreed with your opinion about sv, but your overall attitude is condescending and generally nauseating.

SeguinMatadors
03-13-2006, 06:56 PM
Really, the only reason I am messin' with coolest is because no one is talkin' anywhere else. This is the only thread thats up and going.

Yeah, this and the Micheal Finely thread have been just about the only ones keeping me going today.

SeguinMatadors
03-13-2006, 06:57 PM
and btw cke, what makes your stuff not stink. in general you are one of the haughtiest and least likeable posters on here, imo. i agreed with your opinion about sv, but your overall attitude is condescending and generally nauseating.

lol Geez, I like Cool... that is my boy. Am I unlikeable, too?:confused:

Slim-Rob
03-13-2006, 06:59 PM
lol Geez, I like Cool... that is my boy. Am I unlikeable, too?:confused:

Because you like the unliked, you are unlikeable. Kinda like if you beat a powerhouse you become a powerhouse...:D

SeguinMatadors
03-13-2006, 06:59 PM
Because you like the unliked, you are unlikeable. Kinda like if you beat a powerhouse you become a powerhouse...:D

Haaaaaaahaaaaaaaahhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaa

grayowl60
03-13-2006, 07:02 PM

116-34 record since 94
Allright then, the Garland Owls are a powerhouse. Maybe I should have said the five championship games were since 1955. We had back to back titles in the 60s, Our last title was in 99. GISD started to open new high schools in the mid 60s, and open one about every 7 or 8 years. Of the seven high schools in GISD the each have 2200 to 2500 in four grades. No mega schools

Slim-Rob
03-13-2006, 07:03 PM
Allright then, the Garland Owls are a powerhouse. Maybe I should have said the five championship games were since 1955. We had back to back titles in the 60s, Our last title was in 99. GISD started to open new high schools in the mid 60s, and open one about every 7 or 8 years. Of the seven high schools in GISD the each have 2200 to 2500 in four grades. No mega schools

Having a mega-school does not make you a state champioin. That is not a powerhouse.

SeguinMatadors
03-13-2006, 07:07 PM
Having a mega-school does not make you a state champioin. That is not a powerhouse.

It doesn't make you a powerhouse but having a bigger pool of kids to pick from is obviously an advantage that is fact.

grayowl60
03-13-2006, 07:08 PM
You mean like Plano isd has?

CKE
03-13-2006, 07:11 PM

yes because they have beat all others who have come againdt them. just because they have not one the big one does not mean they are not a powerhouse. others teams dont like to play them. seahawks were suppose to be the best team and didnt win so you cant say that they were not a powerhouse last year because everyone was afraid of them

CKE
03-13-2006, 07:14 PM

lol key words there in bold and dont think i havent heard about your rep as well as DFF. you to are really the only SLC postes look like ya'll think ya'lls stuff doesnt stink you know IMO

Slim-Rob
03-13-2006, 07:18 PM
It doesn't make you a powerhouse but having a bigger pool of kids to pick from is obviously an advantage that is fact.

OKAY. Judson HAD 5k+ kids. How many of those kids went Div. 1????? Judson has never sent many kids D1 because we do not have the talent that Westfield, for example, has.

Miss Kitty
03-13-2006, 07:22 PM

I, for one, think his stuff does not stink. LOL He is a very likeable person and poster. IMO

SeguinMatadors
03-13-2006, 07:24 PM
OKAY. Judson HAD 5k+ kids. How many of those kids went Div. 1????? Judson has never sent many kids D1 because we do not have the talent that Westfield, for example, has.

It has a lot to do with location. For instance, the Valley will never have a large amount of D1 players... regardless of their enrollment becuase of the population in the area. Does that mean a team in the Valley with an enrollment of 5000 will not have a decided advantage in picking players over a fellow Valley school with an enrollment of 2000? No. It isn't all about D1 players... you do not have to be a D1 player to be a great HS football player. Fact is, having more kids gives you the oppertunity of picking from more kids... That IS an advantage... no matter how you want to try to put a twist on it.

dragonsdaddy
03-13-2006, 07:26 PM
I, for one, think his stuff does not stink. LOL He is a very likeable person and poster. IMO
that's why they make chocolate and vanilla and ignore lists, thank God.

Miss Kitty
03-13-2006, 07:27 PM
that's why they make chocolate and vanilla and ignore lists, thank God.

LOL. I suppose you could be right. LOL

gritty52
03-13-2006, 07:32 PM
Dragon you and don't agree often, but some of these cats are saying ET and SLC are not power houses is outright funny don't you think. I'll go back to 2000 with ET. 16 playoff wins, 3 semi's and a state championship. If this isn't powerhouse material don't know what is. SLC invented powerhouse! Iknow there are alot of very, very good teams out there that could be considered Houston, SA, East Texas areas:D :D :D :D ETC. Let us all just get along!!! HAKAAAAAAA!
TRINITY TROJANS 2005 DIV 1 STATE CHAMPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SeguinMatadors
03-13-2006, 07:34 PM
Dragon you and don't agree often, but some of these cats are saying ET and SLC are not power houses is outright funny don't you think. I'll go back to 2000 with ET. 16 playoff wins, 3 semi's and a state championship. If this isn't powerhouse material don't know what is. SLC invented powerhouse! Iknow there are alot of very, very good teams out there that could be considered Houston, SA, East Texas areas:D :D :D :D ETC. Let us all just get along!!! HAKAAAAAAA!
TRINITY TROJANS 2005 DIV 1 STATE CHAMPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am pretty sure no one has questioned SLC as a powerhouse and dynasty. They are the model program in Texas.

Miss Kitty
03-13-2006, 07:41 PM
I am pretty sure no one has questioned SLC as a powerhouse and dynasty. They are the model program in Texas.

SLC is definitely a powerhouse.

CKE
03-13-2006, 07:46 PM

lol Geez, I like Cool... that is my boy. Am I unlikeable, too?

man it sucks to be hated by so many :rolleyes: :D

drgnbkr
03-13-2006, 08:03 PM
SLC is definitely a powerhouse.

Carroll was a powerhouse before it moved up to 5-A...We are all just having fun kicking this around while there are no games to argue about

Miss Kitty
03-13-2006, 08:04 PM
Carroll was a powerhouse before it moved up to 5-A...We are all just having fun kicking this around while there are no games to argue about

I totally agree. Not worth such a serious debate IMO. :D

CKE
03-13-2006, 10:46 PM

yeah SLC should not even be in the argument they are a powerhouse its a givin. if anyone wants to argue they are not then well all i have to say is good luck with that one

slorch
03-14-2006, 08:43 AM
sorry is misspelled powerhouse. its my keyboards fault:o
what about the apostrophe in "it's?"

SVite
03-14-2006, 03:21 PM

Blah Blah Blah

SVite
03-14-2006, 03:23 PM
SO What....You pronounce Tomato,and Potato different,this is a BS Thread!

slorch
03-14-2006, 03:33 PM
SO What....You pronounce Tomato,and Potato different,this is a BS Thread!
one factor I haven't seen discussed in the thread that I believe adds to a program's perception as a powerhouse is the number of D1 scholarship players it produces, and then secondarily, the number of all college players it supplies, thus the power, from a powerhouse.

When I think of Trinity, I think of powerful linemen.
SLC, while they have been very well rounded, I still think of QBs.
Lufkin is just deadly speed, on both sides of the ball.
Several other schools are big providers of D1 kids such as Dallas Carter, Katy, Judson, ect, ect.

Not saying this is the gatekeeper of being classified as a "powerhouse," but in my own evaluation, it is a factor.

CKE
03-14-2006, 06:44 PM
one factor I haven't seen discussed in the thread that I believe adds to a program's perception as a powerhouse is the number of D1 scholarship players it produces, and then secondarily, the number of all college players it supplies, thus the power, from a powerhouse.

When I think of Trinity, I think of powerful linemen.
SLC, while they have been very well rounded, I still think of QBs.
Lufkin is just deadly speed, on both sides of the ball.
Several other schools are big providers of D1 kids such as Dallas Carter, Katy, Judson, ect, ect.

Not saying this is the gatekeeper of being classified as a "powerhouse," but in my own evaluation, it is a factor.

judson does not have that many kids go D1 they just pla good together and find ways to win

thebiggestfan
03-14-2006, 08:00 PM
POWERHOUSE TEAM IS someone that can play smash mouth defense and an offesne that can just pound the ball up the middle and run the sweep for miles

dragonsdaddy
03-15-2006, 06:34 AM
POWERHOUSE TEAM IS someone that can play smash mouth defense and an offesne that can just pound the ball up the middle and run the sweep for miles
pretty much a great description of a championship rugby team.

slorch
03-15-2006, 07:15 AM
then why is the single-wing offense gone?

I guess offensive gurus such as Dodge and Co. are missing the boat with all of these passing plays! LOL!

mojo61
03-15-2006, 10:40 AM
I don't think a team has to win st. to be a powerhouse; it's incredibly hard just to "reach" the semi-finals, let alone win a s/f game, & of course, winning st. is even more difficult (well, only half as diff. as it used to be :) ). IMO, if a team could at least play in a semi-final game on average about every other yr. or so for sev. yrs., that team would be a powerhouse even though that team might not ever win st. And then some yrs., even that schl. might not field an exceptional team & could even lose 2 or 3 dist. games if they're in a tough dist. (but that would not be a "normal" yr. for that team).

Here are a few current powerhouses I can readily think of:
SLC, SV, Longview, Lufkin, Westlake, DR, Judson, Katy, & about a dozen
more I'm prob. leaving out (I'm not as familiar w/ some of the teams in the south). In fact, I'm not sure that all of these teams have reached as high as the s/f's recently, but I think of all of them as current powerhouses.