PDA

View Full Version : Pistol- the wrinkle of the year

KT2000
11-05-2010, 02:46 PM
It seems just about everyone I've seen this year in high school has added a pistol formation to the repetoire.

Klein Collins used it most effectively of the teams I've seen in person. I've also seen La Porte using it extensively on video.

After watching Nevada recently, you wondered how long it would take for this to trickle down to the high school level. It appears we have our answer this year, but it will be interesting to see how many programs start running it as their base offense like La Porte has done this year.

I really enjoy watching everything Nevada does from the varying depths of the RB to the misdirection elements when the offset back is added. When you watch other teams operate from the pistol, the development looks pretty slow and deliberate. Nevada's action all looks smooth as butter. They've written the book on the thing.

twcpfan1
11-05-2010, 03:03 PM
It seems just about everyone I've seen this year in high school has added a pistol formation to the repetoire.

Klein Collins used it most effectively of the teams I've seen in person. I've also seen La Porte using it extensively on video.

After watching Nevada recently, you wondered how long it would take for this to trickle down to the high school level. It appears we have our answer this year, but it will be interesting to see how many programs start running it as their base offense like La Porte has done this year.

I really enjoy watching everything Nevada does from the varying depths of the RB to the misdirection elements when the offset back is added. When you watch other teams operate from the pistol, the development looks pretty slow and deliberate. Nevada's action all looks smooth as butter. They've written the book on the thing.

Oak Ridge has gone to it almost exclusively. Kingwood had all sorts of problems with it last night.

Favpack
11-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Nevada will be less smooth once Humperdink (sp - :D) graduates.

Lufkin tried it three years ago and it stunk worse than fresh cow manure.

The King
11-05-2010, 04:23 PM
I think it is a good way to Balance the Spread with a running game.

Austin109
11-05-2010, 11:37 PM
I love to watch the pistol. Speed of the spread and power of a downhill RB. Whats not to like?

The real fun is when it is a 3 wide 2 RB team who has one of RB's block. I watched a scrappy Mineral Wells team slug it out with a solid Bridgeport and they surprised everyone with that formation. Speed, power, and versatility if you can run it correctly. Im pretty convinced that it will be a common sight for a long time.

ThE uNdEr DaWg
12-19-2010, 07:24 PM
I really enjoy watching everything Nevada does from the varying depths of the RB to the misdirection elements when the offset back is added. When you watch other teams operate from the pistol, the development looks pretty slow and deliberate. Nevada's action all looks smooth as butter. They've written the book on the thing.[/QUOTE]

It would be no different running it under center. All hail the I:notworthy

mudderwasamudder
01-20-2011, 02:14 PM
Klein Collins does not run the pistol

KT2000
01-25-2011, 07:50 AM
Klein Collins does not run the pistol

They don't run it exclusively. They are a multiple offense.