PDA

View Full Version : Abilene high is not a top 10 team!!!!

skyblueice04
09-24-2010, 10:58 PM
Take it from me. I was at the game and watched from beginning to the end. #1 the Simms cousins are not a threat if you know how to contain them. Besides a kickoff return for a touchdown, that was pretty much it.
#2 there was a lot of misreads and missed tackles on the O-line.
#3 Longviews band and crowd were into it the entire time. I expected the upset. Could have easily ended 38-14 with 2 of Longviews Touchdowns called back.

Just can't see these guys winning state again. Abilene Cooper will probably put it on these guys also. MARK MY WORD!!!!

F18mustang
09-24-2010, 11:00 PM
I expected the upset.

Yet they are not a Top 10 team. Okay.

:rolleyes:

eaglefan87
09-24-2010, 11:14 PM
I would agree that we r not top 10 now. The main difference between this team and last years team is the oline. Dont think that ur team just shut down the same offense that went 15-0 last year with the Sims cousins leading the way. The oline this year is struggling and if u cant make running lanes or protect the passer ur gonna have problems.

Not taking anything away from the performance by LV....they played great and deserved the win seeing how they dominated the majority of the game. Just saying dont think u beat the same team that went 15-0 last year.

MOJODRIVER87
09-24-2010, 11:16 PM
MARK MY WORD!!!![/QUOTE]

Really? :rofl:

tigerowl06
09-24-2010, 11:16 PM
Take it from me. I was at the game and watched from beginning to the end. #1 the Simms cousins are not a threat if you know how to contain them. Besides a kickoff return for a touchdown, that was pretty much it.
#3 Longviews band and crowd were into it the entire time. I expected the upset. Could have easily ended 38-14 with 2 of Longviews Touchdowns called back.

Just can't see these guys winning state again. Abilene Cooper will probably put it on these guys also. MARK MY WORD!!!!

The OLine is not supposed to tackle.

BackNBlack97
09-24-2010, 11:20 PM
The OLine is not supposed to tackle.

Pfffft tell that to Alex Barron!

titus211
09-24-2010, 11:25 PM
Abilene won a D2 state title last year. They are not a state power and they are a well coached team, with small players that play hard, they are not a blue chip factory.

KatyTigerDad0407
09-24-2010, 11:36 PM
Re: Abilene high is not a top 10 team!!!! - Does it matter?

Playoff wins matter!!!!!

I bet a bunch of programs around the State wish their student athletes got to experience what Abilene's did for the last year and some change.

KOfb92
09-24-2010, 11:49 PM
Abilene won a D2 state title last year. They are not a state power and they are a well coached team, with small players that play hard, they are not a blue chip factory.

I'd take a well coached team with average players over the blue chip factory (if you want to use that phrase loosely) with bad coaching.

tigerowl06
09-25-2010, 12:20 AM

I don't see what you're getting at...

Bootsdaddy
09-25-2010, 01:05 AM
Yet they are not a Top 10 team. Okay.

:rolleyes:

I didnt really consider it an upset after watching Longview play Lufkin and the way they played Allen.

Bootsdaddy
09-25-2010, 01:10 AM
I don't see what you're getting at...

Other than Trinity, 5A seems wide-open. I'm sure the folks in Longview feel like they have a shot to make some noise in the playoffs and this game will give those kids some confidence.

AHSeagles
09-25-2010, 02:06 AM
#1 the Simms cousins are not a threat if you know how to contain them. Besides a kickoff return for a touchdown, that was pretty much it.

Longview did what Cocoa did. Their D line was in the backfield before the play could really even get started.

wolfpack4life
09-25-2010, 02:29 AM
I had nothing to do with this. I still think you guys are top 10 material. Ronnel did good things at times, but besides the KR, Herchell was very quite. Abilene's defense was legit, but as many have pointed out, Longview had 2 TD's called back.

BTW, why wasnt Abilene's band in attendance?

eaglefan87
09-25-2010, 02:39 AM
I had nothing to do with this. I still think you guys are top 10 material. Ronnel did good things at times, but besides the KR, Herchell was very quite. Abilene's defense was legit, but as many have pointed out, Longview had 2 TD's called back.

I dont think we r top 10 right now. ...top 20 yeah. Our oline is really struggling....we have pretty much the same skill position players from last year but we r not getting it done up front. Last year our oline was DOMINATING....this year not.

im not sure why the AHS band did not attend. They were also absent from the Cocoa FL game in Desoto 2 weeks ago. They did attend the opener against Belton at the Alamodome. Probably some AISD budget issues.

AbEagleFan
09-25-2010, 02:50 AM

Because the idiot band director refuses to travel on yellow hounds. School district only pays for charters for one non-district game, they took those to San Antonio. Yellow Hounds are available, they charge around a buck a mile but he absolutely refuses.

No offense to the kids but our band sucks. Not their fault, it's the director...

btw... don't get me started on the bum once again. :D

eaglefan87
09-25-2010, 02:58 AM

Because the idiot band director refuses to travel on yellow hounds. School district only pays for charters for one non-district game, they took those to San Antonio. Yellow Hounds are available, they charge around a buck a mile but he absolutely refuses.

No offense to the kids but our band sucks. Not their fault, it's the director...

Oh no....not again:D

AbEagleFan
09-25-2010, 02:58 AM
It's hard to know where Abilene is. Are they good? Are they bad? The latter would only add insult to what I thought was a very good ball control team in LV. HS is hurting, I don't care what anyone says. When he comes to the sidelines with that shoulder hanging down, it's hurting.

I guess we are all spoiled and had great expectations because of the way last year ended and the fact we were bringing back our core 3 on offense. LV fans, HS didn't have a great game but that run at the end of the game that was called back, that's what we saw all the time last year. That's what got us all fired up about this season. btw... why on earth did you kick off to him? :D

LV wanted this game tonight. They controlled both lines (though our D did step up in the 2nd half) but even during their last drive in regulation when their TD was called back, they were hustling to the line, they wanted it. I just haven't seen that in our kids this year.

AbEagleFan
09-25-2010, 02:59 AM
[QUOTE=AbEagleFan;1614481]

Oh no....not again:D

:rofl:

BIG RED
09-25-2010, 06:25 AM

It's not easy defending state. Only a few elite programs are able to do that. Abilene will not be one of them. They had a great run last year.

IMO, defenses have to give up a lot less points to be considered legit.

rodjohns
09-25-2010, 06:47 AM

You would not know that by the pre season hype….

ktCarl
09-25-2010, 08:41 AM
I want to see where the admins. put Abilene after this weekends games are done. I don't know if they are less than being top 10 or not but I bet they are still a salty bunch to contend with and there is the whole District season yet to play out.

stinger
09-25-2010, 08:43 AM

The TROLL is back. Just hit the ignore button.

stinger
09-25-2010, 08:47 AM

I can't tell what you mean through the smoke. Can you clarify please:yes::rofl:

Durty Burd
09-25-2010, 08:47 AM
I also agree that not having the band in attendance dampens atmosphere. But the announcer in stadium was downright annoying and was mispronouncing RS' name (intentional? Psychological?). Perhaps it's just blind faith, but I have to believe that coach is not showing his hand. Offensively, we've got more up our sleeve - he hasn't turned 'em loose. But that o line has GOT to get it together. OSU coaches showed up at half and were present on AHS sideline when RS turned it on at the end.

stinger
09-25-2010, 08:55 AM
I also agree that not having the band in attendance dampens atmosphere. But the announcer in stadium was downright annoying and was mispronouncing RS' name (intentional? Psychological?). Perhaps it's just blind faith, but I have to believe that coach is not showing his hand. Offensively, we've got more up our sleeve - he hasn't turned 'em loose. But that o line has GOT to get it together. OSU coaches showed up at half and were present on AHS sideline when RS turned it on at the end.

I disagree. At this stage you don't "hide" things up you sleeve for later. If you don't do it now, it won't be in tune later. Practice is not the same.

BlakeJ
09-25-2010, 09:31 AM
No doubt Abilene is a threat to be dealt with. They are good....not great. I hate rankings, but if I were to guess I think the admins will put them somewhere around 14. The game score was close...but the game wasnt that close. Abilene is struggling with the OLine...and insiders wont admit it, but I would bet MTV might have been a tad bit more of a distraction as led on....and expectedly so...the kids are only 16-18 year old boys.

I said at the beginning of the year that I thought this Abilene team was atleast a two loss team and a 3 round playoff team. That is for one reason and one reason only. Ive watched last years state title game probably atleast 10 times....and the offensive line was the MVP of that game. That OLine was near perfect in execution. When I heard they graduated the Oline and there were question marks, IMO I knew it wasnt going to be the same.

Sure you have HS and RS...but without a line those guys arent going to run around like they did last year. Theyre great players and are going to break some runs off like great players do, but not like they did last year. Abilene is still going to be a threat and a team noone is going to like seeing on the other side, but reality is that this team is nowhere near last years team. Its going to be very tough for them to get out of the R1 bracket this year I feel.

TigerHat
09-25-2010, 09:48 AM
When you lose to a Fl team the Texas teams are going to smell blood in the water.

WestlandTiger'95
09-25-2010, 10:00 AM
Abilene Cooper will probably put it on these guys also. MARK MY WORD!!!!

mark his word....which one? "Probably" ... you're so confident!

warbird00
09-25-2010, 10:11 AM

Thanks for vote, but I disagree, I dont think Abilene is top ten right now. Although I have to say of all the teams we have faced, I think Longview was the best. I know there where td's called back, flags went both ways, and you dont wanna know what I said after HS run into the endzone and a flag was thrown out after Hershel scored from the other sideline, where what went on had nothing to do with the play. Thankfully it didnt matter, and I dont think calls cost us this game. Longview did what they needed to do to keep it close and then pull away and that is the way to beat Abilene. I think LV was better then a one point OT win, but if there was on bright spot to this game it is that this team is hanging in there with teams that I think are much better then them (PLant, LV, and Cocoa). I wish we could get that last 5 min 4th quarter intensity a little bit longer... they seem to get it almost every game on d and o but v Cocoa and LV it was too little to late.

NI hate rankings, but if I were to guess I think the admins will put them somewhere around 14. The game score was close...but the game wasnt that close. Abilene is struggling with the OLine...and insiders wont admit it, but I would bet MTV might have been a tad bit more of a distraction as led on....and expectedly so...the kids are only 16-18 year old boys.

I said at the beginning of the year that I thought this Abilene team was atleast a two loss team and a 3 round playoff team.

I'll agree, and i think while HS is not the type to let it affect him i do think they team as a whole got a we're invincible mentality and have allowed their play and practice to reflect that. Abilene high is very likely to be the third place team out of 3-5a behind Cooper and Odessa or Mojo, and goes I think about three rounds deep. For many teams that would be a very successful year. For us, this year at least, that is a bit of a let down. Hope I am wrong about the playoffs, but the only way anything else happens is if this team (especially the line) has an entire mindset change about the way they do things. The OL stinks right now, and thats just the flat truth of things. You cant really do anything else well if LV lineman are in your face before you can even handoff the ball or look up from taking the snap. I know the lineman were really good last year, but this years isnt even average IMO. Lots to work on.

dada
09-25-2010, 10:12 AM
Abilene is starting the year with the same issues Katy ended the year with....The OL......everything starts and ends there, no matter WHO you have at the skill positions.

Coug78
09-25-2010, 10:19 AM
I dont think we r top 10 right now. ...top 20 yeah. Our oline is really struggling....we have pretty much the same skill position players from last year but we r not getting it done up front. Last year our oline was DOMINATING....this year not.

im not sure why the AHS band did not attend. They were also absent from the Cocoa FL game in Desoto 2 weeks ago. They did attend the opener against Belton at the Alamodome. Probably some AISD budget issues.

I agree with skyblueice04 - you need to get your o-line to start tackling! Especially in the Cooper-Abilene game! Say about 10-15 times:rofl:

biggolfdad
09-25-2010, 11:03 AM
No doubt Abilene is a threat to be dealt with. They are good....not great. I hate rankings, but if I were to guess I think the admins will put them somewhere around 14. The game score was close...but the game wasnt that close. Abilene is struggling with the OLine...and insiders wont admit it, but I would bet MTV might have been a tad bit more of a distraction as led on....and expectedly so...the kids are only 16-18 year old boys.

I said at the beginning of the year that I thought this Abilene team was atleast a two loss team and a 3 round playoff team. That is for one reason and one reason only. Ive watched last years state title game probably atleast 10 times....and the offensive line was the MVP of that game. That OLine was near perfect in execution. When I heard they graduated the Oline and there were question marks, IMO I knew it wasnt going to be the same.

Sure you have HS and RS...but without a line those guys arent going to run around like they did last year. Theyre great players and are going to break some runs off like great players do, but not like they did last year. Abilene is still going to be a threat and a team noone is going to like seeing on the other side, but reality is that this team is nowhere near last years team. Its going to be very tough for them to get out of the R1 bracket this year I feel.

I think you are right.. all this MTV, Nike, and ESPN stuff has their heads spinning.. they are not used to all this stuff going on.. they need to get their minds back on business, have fun, and play some football.. they need to find their idenity this year and not try to live from last years idenity..

;)

stinger
09-25-2010, 11:08 AM
I agree with skyblueice04 - you need to get your o-line to start tackling! Especially in the Cooper-Abilene game! Say about 10-15 times:rofl:

WHAT??!! Since when is the o-line supposed to tackle?

Coug78
09-25-2010, 11:20 AM
what??!! Since when is the o-line supposed to tackle?

doh!!

skyblueice04
09-25-2010, 11:22 AM
And Dallas Morning News says Longview lost to Abilene 31-24.

Favpack
09-25-2010, 11:49 AM
AHS will have a tough district test and will be in better shape when the PO's roll around except maybe HS. I think HS got too beat up based on the brutal pre-district schedule which had way too many unknowns.

KT2000
09-25-2010, 11:53 AM
And Dallas Morning News says Longview lost to Abilene 31-24.

It looks like someone was trying to beat traffic.

BlakeJ
09-25-2010, 11:58 AM
I think you are right.. all this MTV, Nike, and ESPN stuff has their heads spinning.. they are not used to all this stuff going on.. they need to get their minds back on business, have fun, and play some football.. they need to find their idenity this year and not try to live from last years idenity..

;)

On that note...anyone know when the HS show airs? Ive been watching the show...it looks good and cant wait to hear Herschels story. I didnt know his mother was in prison for a majority of his life.

slcdragonfan
09-25-2010, 11:58 AM
WAIT A MINUTE!!! We know that Belo is always right (WFAA and DMN are owned by Belo) so ABILENE WINS!!!!!

;)

skyblueice04
09-25-2010, 12:04 PM
Yea won in your head. DMN and WFAA are always liars when it comes to the Bo's. Tough game though...............

SWMHebron
09-25-2010, 12:06 PM

Hebron's drill team always travels on charters. The booster club pays for them. Granted they can go on one where as a band would take several.

Warbird_Dad
09-25-2010, 08:00 PM

What a dumb a$$ post. Skyblue, you're an idiot...

warbird00
09-26-2010, 11:50 AM

lol i love the "if they hadnt had 2 TD's called back" Lets translate that into real:

if we had been allowed to cheat twice, we would've won by more.
lmbo. Us too. Now I'm all for a ref letting go an offense that has nothing to do with the play or conduct on the field (like calling a block in the back when the RB is over 10 yards away and as he's scoring) however those shifts/lineman downfield were legit. Sorry. Besides they were your refs. And they didnt affect the outcome. Longview is a good team, but their mistakes are well documented and have cost them games. It would've cost them again against a better team.

NeverIsNow
09-26-2010, 12:19 PM
lol i love the "if they hadnt had 2 TD's called back" Lets translate that into real:

lmbo. Us too. Now I'm all for a ref letting go an offense that has nothing to do with the play or conduct on the field (like calling a block in the back when the RB is over 10 yards away and as he's scoring) however those shifts/lineman downfield were legit. Sorry. Besides they were your refs. And they didnt affect the outcome. Longview is a good team, but their mistakes are well documented and have cost them games. It would've cost them again against a better team.

My only question was the screen pass. I was under the impression that on a pass completed behind the line of scrimmage, linemen COULD go downfield. I guess not. Either way, both sides had big plays called back for various reasons. It sucks, but it's part of the game. Longview also would've won by more if they didn't turn it over so many times in the first half. Fact is, they DID turn it over and they DID commit penalties, so they DIDN'T win by more. The result was a very hard-fought and exciting game.

Warbird_Dad
09-26-2010, 01:00 PM
My only question was the screen pass. I was under the impression that on a pass completed behind the line of scrimmage, linemen COULD go downfield. I guess not. Either way, both sides had big plays called back for various reasons. It sucks, but it's part of the game. Longview also would've won by more if they didn't turn it over so many times in the first half. Fact is, they DID turn it over and they DID commit penalties, so they DIDN'T win by more. The result was a very hard-fought and exciting game.

I have to agree, LV dominated the game but yet kept the door open enough for the Eagles to not only stay in the game but come back and tie it. Have to give props to the kids for staying in the game and not giving up.

NeverIsNow
09-26-2010, 01:15 PM
I have to agree, LV dominated the game but yet kept the door open enough for the Eagles to not only stay in the game but come back and tie it. Have to give props to the kids for staying in the game and not giving up.

Agreed. Abilene did show championship grit in coming back despite not having a TD drive over 20 yards to that point in the game. They may not have won, but you can't always win em all.

Abilene may not be a top 10 team, but who cares who are top 10 teams when there is a playoff system? That's why there is no poll in NFL football; because making the playoffs relies SOLELY on records, and who wins the championship only relies on who wins in the playoffs. This isn't college football where a poll determines who plays in what bowl games. This is high school football where if you want to play for a championship, you control your destiny.

Coug78
09-26-2010, 01:30 PM

Well he made one accurate statement:

Abilene Cooper will probably put it on these guys also. :D

Warbird_Dad
09-26-2010, 02:24 PM

Really looking forward to that game, should be a good one.

Coug78
09-26-2010, 02:45 PM
I'm looking forward to all of the district games.

It is good to be back in 3-5A!

NeverIsNow
09-26-2010, 02:50 PM
I'll definitely be keeping up with the 3-5A race. I hope Abilene does well. Then again, I like Odessa Permian and Midland Lee after our series with them in 2000 and 2001.

Good luck to all of you guys!

Hitman49
09-26-2010, 03:49 PM

LV was very dominate in this game...I just want to clear up some miss understanding about the called back Ltd's in this game.

LV had two called back...however, on the 1st one LV ENDED UP SCORING ON THE SAME DRIVE. THE 2ND NEARLY COST THE THE GAME.

ABILENE HAD THE GREAT CATCH AND RUN CALLED BACK BY HS...THEY TO ENDED UP SCORING ON THE SAME DRIVE.

Hitman49
09-26-2010, 03:58 PM

You are correct about passes behind the line of scrimmage ...it seem to me the only ref making those calls was the one on Abilene side of field and the plays where thrown to the other side.

warbird00
09-26-2010, 05:02 PM
You are correct about passes behind the line of scrimmage ...it seem to me the only ref making those calls was the one on Abilene side of field and the plays where thrown to the other side.

Im no expert... but I thought it doesnt only have to do with the line of scrimage but also whether or not it was a forward pass that was invovled. If the pass is forward, it is still a pass even if the receiver is behind the line of scrimmage. Well we know that. But if you have a forward pass, then their can be illegible recievers. What you see now on these quick screens are actually passes that would be considered laterals (straight across or behind the qb). Thats why if they are dropped they are live balls. In those situations, those are not actually considered passes...which is why you therefore do not have the ineilg. pentaly. Again, could be wrong, but I believe the question is not just was the pass made behind the LOS, but also was it a pass vs a lateral.

Actually from the NCAA rule book... no exception for forward passes behind the LOS:

Ineligible Receiver Downfield
ARTICLE 10. No originally ineligible receiver shall be or have been more than
three yards beyond the neutral zone until a legal forward pass that crosses the neutral zone has been thrown
PENALTY—Five yards from the previous spot [S37].

NeverIsNow
09-26-2010, 06:03 PM
Hmmm

Hitman49
09-26-2010, 06:15 PM
Agree

youtellatale
09-26-2010, 06:31 PM
In regards to the screen passes where there was a penalty, you are correct in thinking there can be no penalty if the ball is caught behind the line of scrimmage. The problem for LV is that the QB led the receiver so that the ball was caught BEYOND the line of scrimmage and there were linemen ahead of the receiver, thus resulting in the penalty. The first penalty was for sure a penalty b/c the ball was caught about 4 yards downfield, the second penalty was extremely close but as you said the official that called it was on the AHS side of the field. Just a note: on the HS screen that was called back, the flag came from the LV side of the field. (This happens a lot so I didn't really care b/c that's football)

LV won the game but really should've put it away earlier. AHS shot themselves in the foot a couple of times with untimely penalties, same with LV on a couple of drives so all in all it wasn't a pretty game but it was exciting. Good luck to LV this season!

katyfan52
09-26-2010, 07:17 PM

This.

D-5
09-27-2010, 12:02 AM
Abilene High's Band was not in attendance, because of school board policy. They can only go on one pre-district out of town trip. Has nothing to do with not wanting to ride yellow dogs....Just to clear that fact up!

abileneeagles311
09-27-2010, 03:46 AM

i've talked to a lot of cooper fans, and their really cocky for not beating abilene high in 7 years

D-5
09-27-2010, 08:49 AM
Cooper fans should be cocky. They are a dominating 5-0 team and abilene is an average 3-2 team....according to most abilene high fans.

Eagledad61
09-27-2010, 09:13 AM
Cooper fans should be cocky. They are a dominating 5-0 team and abilene is an average 3-2 team....according to most abilene high fans.

I watched Cooper play Westlake and pull out a close one. My first thought was that these guys are good and they are very good. But, I have a hard time hanging 5-0 cocky from Cooper with that schedule. Did they play anyone? I mean ok so they played Westlake, but Westlake has turned out to not be very good. Other than that they did not play one challenging team.

Just like AHS win over what I thought was a very good Belton team. Turns out they are not that great either. Maybe decent on Offense but Defense if terrible. However, I don't think anyone can argue a easy schedule from there on out.

I think most of the insiders would tell you that 1 and maybe 2 losses in the preseason was expected if they were really honest.

On the OL play........We have not started the same 5 guys two games in a row yet! We have started a Soph on the O-line and a Freshman on the D-line. Like wise, that playbook is much bigger than the 4-5 pass variations and 3 running play variations we have seen so far. Have not ran the dirty bird yet either.

So, I say relax and enjoy the bye week. AHS needs the bye week to heal up and I think you will see a different team come district. Anyone remember the 1-4 preseason team that went undefeated in District? AHS will be ready come district time and they will have faced tough talent. It is not like we have been blown out here? Cocoa 24-21 and LV 32-31? I think all would agree our Preseason schedule was brutal and for as bad as everyone here makes it sound we came out 3-2 with two close losses.

Don't get me wrong, we have to fix the issues on the OL!!!!! However, I have faith that will get done with some healing up!

mojo61
09-27-2010, 09:32 AM
It was an exciting game. Congrats to both teams since it was a tie in regular time. Longview dominated, but Ab. managed a tie somehow until the ot. I'm sure Longview will improve & likely do well in the po's (Ab. will, too). Ab. is a great 4th qtr team. They'll still be hard for most teams to beat. Ab. plays above their ability level, as do most of their district teams. The cross-town dist. game w/ Ab. Cooper should be interesting. It's still early in the season & teams have time to improve (it's not like you have to win your dist. in order to go to the po's).

Eagle81
09-27-2010, 10:23 AM
First time I've seen the Eagles live this year. I knew they were struggling in areas of their game, some of it due to injuries. But seriously, there's no excuse for allowing recievers to go uncovered. The sad thing about that is it didn't happen just once. That's just plain not knowing what you are doing. I mean it's not good when the head coach comes over the bench and gives you the how to's and what nots. Our D line was getting blown off the line of scrimmage 3 yards and the LV's back got an addition 2 yards on top of that. It's hard to be critical of the defense considering how ineffective the offense was. The defense gave the ball to the offense twice in Longview's end of the field. We did score both times but we started the drives inside the 30.

I give props to the backs for being able to get 39 yards. It's hard to run the ball when you're getting hit at the same time you're getting the ball. As frustrating as that was, it was just as frustrating to see RS run for his life to throw a simple out pattern. This O line is serious trouble. They cannot allow this to continue if the Eagles are going to seriously contend. Hopefully, when we get back to full strength, some of this will take care of itself. I could go on about this but it's been pretty well documented.

All in all, Longview did exactly what they said they would do. They just lined up and whipped our behinds. They did make the mistakes that have apparently hurt them all year which did allow us to stay in the game. I was quiet certain that if AHS did win that game, the Plano Police department would've showed up and arrested our team for stealing.

I know this game didn't mean anything towards making the playoffs and the real season starts in two weeks. But this has to be a wake up call for our kids to challenge themselves, mentally more than physically. I'm not disappointed in the physical effort. We're small but play way bigger than our size. I'm just not certain the mental effort equals that.

ray1301
09-27-2010, 10:47 AM
First time I've seen the Eagles live this year. I knew they were struggling in areas of their game, some of it due to injuries. But seriously, there's no excuse for allowing recievers to go uncovered. The sad thing about that is it didn't happen just once. That's just plain not knowing what you are doing. I mean it's not good when the head coach comes over the bench and gives you the how to's and what nots. Our D line was getting blown off the line of scrimmage 3 yards and the LV's back got an addition 2 yards on top of that. It's hard to be critical of the defense considering how ineffective the offense was. The defense gave the ball to the offense twice in Longview's end of the field. We did score both times but we started the drives inside the 30.

I give props to the backs for being able to get 39 yards. It's hard to run the ball when you're getting hit at the same time you're getting the ball. As frustrating as that was, it was just as frustrating to see RS run for his life to throw a simple out pattern. This O line is serious trouble. They cannot allow this to continue if the Eagles are going to seriously contend. Hopefully, when we get back to full strength, some of this will take care of itself. I could go on about this but it's been pretty well documented.

All in all, Longview did exactly what they said they would do. They just lined up and whipped our behinds. They did make the mistakes that have apparently hurt them all year which did allow us to stay in the game. I was quiet certain that if AHS did win that game, the Plano Police department would've showed up and arrested our team for stealing.

I know this game didn't mean anything towards making the playoffs and the real season starts in two weeks. But this has to be a wake up call for our kids to challenge themselves, mentally more than physically. I'm not disappointed in the physical effort. We're small but play way bigger than our size. I'm just not certain the mental effort equals that.

In a lot of aspects Abilene is facing what Katy faced last year. O-Line injuries, team synergy and timing. The big difference is on the defensive side of the ball. The defense carried Katy at times last year.

It is almost like Abilene is going through an identity crisis at this point, and confidence is starting to lag. Abilene needs some good wins (and I ain't talking about score wise) where the team clicks on both sides of the ball in the same game and same half for that matter.

War Eagle
09-27-2010, 10:55 AM
Actually from the NCAA rule book... no exception for forward passes behind the LOS:

three yards beyond the neutral zone until a legal forward pass that crosses the neutral zone has been thrown

Actually that right there clearly says "until a legal forward pass that CROSSES the neutral zone has been thrown"...so if there is a pass that DOES NOT cross the LOS (Neutral Zone) the o-line can be 30 yards down field and it be legal.

I have no idea whether or not the calls were good on Friday since I was listening on the radio but those are not very difficult for an official to make since everything is right in front of him.

Warbird_Dad
09-27-2010, 11:37 AM
Actually that right there clearly says "until a legal forward pass that CROSSES the neutral zone has been thrown"...so if there is a pass that DOES NOT cross the LOS (Neutral Zone) the o-line can be 30 yards down field and it be legal.

I have no idea whether or not the calls were good on Friday since I was listening on the radio but those are not very difficult for an official to make since everything is right in front of him.

From what I saw one was definitely a penalty and the other borderline...

AbEagleFan
09-27-2010, 01:17 PM
Abilene High's Band was not in attendance, because of school board policy. They can only go on one pre-district out of town trip. Has nothing to do with not wanting to ride yellow dogs....Just to clear that fact up!

Liar... :rolleyes:

Maxthedog
09-27-2010, 02:16 PM
From what I saw one was definitely a penalty and the other borderline...

WD, the last screen(called back TD) was a totally blown call. Due to the previous call on a screen(was indeed an Olineman down field) we were watching very closely and it happened almost in a direct line with our seats and the LOS. I don't have a dog in this hunt, just there to see a good game, which it turned out to be. The 2pt conversion in OT,,,I love Texas HS football!

Coug78
09-27-2010, 02:35 PM

Actually I think that is true. Cooper has the same limitation.

AbEagleFan
09-27-2010, 02:38 PM
Actually I think that is true. Cooper has the same limitation.

charter buses only.
groups can take the yellow dogs just as the cheer squad has to all the games.

this coming from 5 of 7 board members.

thank you. :D

btw... coopers band is much better than AH's band. I am serious about that. :notworthy

NeverIsNow
09-27-2010, 03:20 PM
Im no expert... but I thought it doesnt only have to do with the line of scrimage but also whether or not it was a forward pass that was invovled. If the pass is forward, it is still a pass even if the receiver is behind the line of scrimmage. Well we know that. But if you have a forward pass, then their can be illegible recievers. What you see now on these quick screens are actually passes that would be considered laterals (straight across or behind the qb). Thats why if they are dropped they are live balls. In those situations, those are not actually considered passes...which is why you therefore do not have the ineilg. pentaly. Again, could be wrong, but I believe the question is not just was the pass made behind the LOS, but also was it a pass vs a lateral.

So....o..... I was right? It can't cross the neutral zone, otherwise known as the line of scrimmage? Thanks for confirming that.

Coug78
09-27-2010, 04:47 PM
charter buses only.

btw... coopers band is much better than AH's band. I am serious about that. :notworthy

That's funny as I got that info. from the teachers. They made a big mistake buying those dang yellow dogs in the first place. I say sell most of them and let them take the charter buses!

It's about time Cooper's band is living up to their name! ;)

D-5
09-27-2010, 06:53 PM
charter buses only.

Yeah right like you know any board members.

Hitman49
09-27-2010, 07:28 PM

I was told the same thing by some Abilene fans at the Cocoa game.

AbEagleFan
09-27-2010, 11:18 PM
Yeah right like you know any board members.

BackNBlack87
09-30-2010, 10:04 AM
Is it too late to say that Allman is probably quitting on his new team now....???

Never.

Judas.

I watched Cooper play Westlake and pull out a close one. My first thought was that these guys are good and they are very good. But, I have a hard time hanging 5-0 cocky from Cooper with that schedule. Did they play anyone? I mean ok so they played Westlake, but Westlake has turned out to not be very good. Other than that they did not play one challenging team.

Just like AHS win over what I thought was a very good Belton team. Turns out they are not that great either. Maybe decent on Offense but Defense if terrible. However, I don't think anyone can argue a easy schedule from there on out.

I think most of the insiders would tell you that 1 and maybe 2 losses in the preseason was expected if they were really honest.

On the OL play........We have not started the same 5 guys two games in a row yet! We have started a Soph on the O-line and a Freshman on the D-line. Like wise, that playbook is much bigger than the 4-5 pass variations and 3 running play variations we have seen so far. Have not ran the dirty bird yet either.

So, I say relax and enjoy the bye week. AHS needs the bye week to heal up and I think you will see a different team come district. Anyone remember the 1-4 preseason team that went undefeated in District? AHS will be ready come district time and they will have faced tough talent. It is not like we have been blown out here? Cocoa 24-21 and LV 32-31? I think all would agree our Preseason schedule was brutal and for as bad as everyone here makes it sound we came out 3-2 with two close losses.

Don't get me wrong, we have to fix the issues on the OL!!!!! However, I have faith that will get done with some healing up!

thestud
09-30-2010, 10:15 AM
Is it too late to say that Allman is probably quitting on his new team now....???

Never.

Judas.

I always figured Allman would leave Mojo for greener pastures, but never thought it would be as soon as he did and NEVER figured him to head to Westlake.

BackNBlack87
09-30-2010, 11:35 AM
I always figured Allman would leave Mojo for greener pastures, but never thought it would be as soon as he did and NEVER figured him to head to Westlake.

Yes, leaving the the greatest HS football program for Westlake is greener (in the fact that its actually green in Austin).

I think its the fact that he WAS a Mojo guy and he had just signed a new contract.

And its not like he left for that much more money, he was already like a top 5 coach as it was.

OCFootballFan
10-01-2010, 10:20 AM

My nephew plays for Cocoa Fl. He said Abilene is the weakest team they will play all year.

slcdragonfan
10-01-2010, 10:24 AM
My nephew plays for Cocoa Fl. He said Abilene is the weakest team they will play all year.

WOW. You guys must have the most awesomest football teams in the world! I am impressed.:rolleyes:;)

OCFootballFan
10-01-2010, 10:32 AM
WOW. You guys must have the most awesomest football teams in the world! I am impressed.:rolleyes:;)

Well I don't live in Florida. But we do have some pretty good high school football here in California. You know if there wasn't so much to do out here we might put 20,000 fans in the stands too. You from Southlake? I was just commenting on another thread about a friend of mine bragging about that place. And how rich it was. They compared it to Beverly Hills and Orange County. I couldn't stop laughing when I got to see it myself though. Good times!

slcdragonfan
10-01-2010, 10:37 AM
Well I don't live in Florida. But we do have some pretty good high school football here in California. You know if there wasn't so much to do out here we might put 20,000 fans in the stands too. You from Southlake? I was just commenting on another thread about a friend of mine bragging about that place. And how rich it was. They compared it to Beverly Hills and Orange County. I couldn't stop laughing when I got to see it myself though. Good times!

We are no Beverly Hills for sure, not even River Oaks or Highland Park level. We do have a nice community, similar to some you will find around any large metroplex. I have seen some amazing communities on Long Island! :)

We do play some decent football. Not #1 in the state this year, but our record speaks for itself as far as program.

I will let the Abilene folks discuss your original point, but recognize that HS was out for that game, so they could key on RS. Also, their O-Line is struggling this year. Still, they find a way to win most times, or lose close. If they are the weakest team, then why so close?

mojosoundwave
10-01-2010, 10:37 AM
Yes, leaving the the greatest HS football program for Westlake is greener (in the fact that its actually green in Austin).

I think its the fact that he WAS a Mojo guy and he had just signed a new contract.

And its not like he left for that much more money, he was already like a top 5 coach as it was.

JMO but when Faircloth left for PNG Allman had one chance to get to Austin before his stock dropped and he took it.

ExCOOG88
10-01-2010, 10:41 AM
charter buses only.

Bands are allowed one out of town non-district game, the schools choose which one. As far as yellow dogs, who will drive them? Before you say anything remember they have to pass a background check. You would be surprised what you find when they are run. Plus, some of the ones you would want to take are need to run their routes after school. Then, there is budget concerns. Any idea how much the high school budgets are for transportation? I do, it ain't cheap. Also, you realize there are no charter bus companies located in abilene? Go Express keeps 3 or 4 buses in Abilene for 5 schools: 2 HS and 3 colleges. This year McMurry got the bus contracts before AISD(because of realignment) Everything has to be deadheaded in from Dallas, which the district has to pay to get them here and then get them back to Dallas.

OCFootballFan
10-01-2010, 10:50 AM
We do play some decent football. Not #1 in the state this year, but our record speaks for itself as far as program..........If they are the weakest team, then why so close?

I have heard of your football team. I saw you guys play Northwestern High of Miami on TV. And why so close? I don't know. Home cooking?

LoboFan07
10-01-2010, 10:52 AM

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

ExCOOG88
10-01-2010, 10:54 AM
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

+1

AbEagleFan
10-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Bands are allowed one out of town non-district game, the schools choose which one. As far as yellow dogs, who will drive them? Before you say anything remember they have to pass a background check. You would be surprised what you find when they are run. Plus, some of the ones you would want to take are need to run their routes after school. Then, there is budget concerns. Any idea how much the high school budgets are for transportation? I do, it ain't cheap. Also, you realize there are no charter bus companies located in abilene? Go Express keeps 3 or 4 buses in Abilene for 5 schools: 2 HS and 3 colleges. This year McMurry got the bus contracts before AISD(because of realignment) Everything has to be deadheaded in from Dallas, which the district has to pay to get them here and then get them back to Dallas.

Seriously, you want to go tit for tat regarding this subject? Does it concern you so much that you must get in the final word?

Last year they district budgeted 10k per week for charters, including both schools, football, band, etc. The buses come from Ft. Worth, not Dallas, you idiot.

The school has bus drivers idiot. See, they have this long list of qualified drivers, most who arrive each day over at the lot by Cooper.

You should really adhere to your tag line, it fits you to a T.......... :rolleyes:

btw... Your Cooper boys spent two years in 4A and couldn't get past the 3rd round. A mere bi-district win... :rofl:

youtellatale
10-01-2010, 11:05 AM

Wow, well I guess beating a team by 3 without their best player playing a snap must be tough. AHS plays their worst game of the year and still barely loses...if that's the worst team Cocoa plays then they should lose every other game right? Oh wait...

Nice job joining so you can irritate people from another state, if you don't have something productive to say rather than something inflammatory then go troll somewhere else please.

AbEagleFan
10-01-2010, 11:06 AM

btw... talk to the hand, done with you and learn some football.

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/58519/58519,1137576537,4/stock-photo-talk-to-the-hand-896205.jpg

ExCOOG88
10-01-2010, 11:15 AM
btw... talk to the hand, done with you and learn some football.

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/58519/58519,1137576537,4/stock-photo-talk-to-the-hand-896205.jpg

I'll be sure and do that, lol. I forgot you are the supposed understudy of G.A. Moore and know everything.

OCFootballFan
10-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Wow, well I guess beating a team by 3 without their best player playing a snap must be tough. AHS plays their worst game of the year and still barely loses...if that's the worst team Cocoa plays then they should lose every other game right? Oh wait...

Nice job joining so you can irritate people from another state, if you don't have something productive to say rather than something inflammatory then go troll somewhere else please.

I've read some of your posts. What would you know about having something productive to say?

stinger
10-01-2010, 12:04 PM
I've read some of your posts. What would you know about having something productive to say?

Your screen name tells where you should have interest. You won't gather any support with what you say on this board. By the way...tell your brother he's nuts. Trinity would have beaten his team during lunch break.

OCFootballFan
10-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Your screen name tells where you should have interest. You won't gather any support with what you say on this board. By the way...tell your brother he's nuts. Trinity would have beaten his team during lunch break.

Oh yeah! Euless Trinity is #1 in the country right? That's pretty cute. Let's see if they can break De La Salle's record of consecutive starts and finishes at #1. I remember when Miami Northwestern went into Dallas and beat the supposed top rated team in the country Southlake. I bet they could do it again to Trinity.

slcdragonfan
10-01-2010, 12:10 PM
Oh yeah! Euless Trinity is #1 in the country right? That's pretty cute. Let's see if they can break De La Salle's record of consecutive starts and finishes at #1.

Is DLS public?

OCFootballFan
10-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Is DLS public?

What difference does that make? Southlake recruits players just like a private school. Yeah that whole quarterback thing was a real mess huh?

stinger
10-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Oh yeah! Euless Trinity is #1 in the country right? That's pretty cute. Let's see if they can break De La Salle's record of consecutive starts and finishes at #1. I remember when Miami Northwestern went into Dallas and beat the supposed top rated team in the country Southlake. I bet they could do it again to Trinity.

Oh YEAH??? I bet my dad is bigger and tougher than your dad!! So there...stay in the land of fruits and nuts....you fit well there. I have De La Salle many times, Trinity would leave them begging!!!

stinger
10-01-2010, 12:29 PM
What difference does that make? Southlake recruits players just like a private school. Yeah that whole quarterback thing was a real mess huh?

And DLS doesn't??? You don't want to go there troll.

slcdragonfan
10-01-2010, 12:30 PM

Do we?
I guess your answer means 'yes', they are private?
Just wondering. And tell me, how does a private school recruit players? I would like to know the process?

Did Don Boscoe play DLS last year?

OCFootballFan
10-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Oh YEAH??? I bet my dad is bigger and tougher than your dad!! So there...stay in the land of fruits and nuts....you fit well there. I have De La Salle many times, Trinity would leave them begging!!!

I can tell you put alot of thought into that one. Congrats!

stinger
10-01-2010, 12:31 PM

Was the quarterback thing recruiting??? Get your facts straight before you make more of a fool of yourself than you have already. Let's see you back up your bold recruiting accusation with some facts choirboy...sing to the jury!!!

stinger
10-01-2010, 12:32 PM

It didn't take much thought...I had to keep it simple for you... and it fit too.

stinger
10-01-2010, 12:33 PM

Another fact that didn't take much thought, at least according to you. Trinity would leave MNW begging, just like DLS

mojotrain
10-01-2010, 12:40 PM
I have heard of your football team. I saw you guys play Northwestern High of Miami on TV. And why so close? I don't know. Home cooking?

Hey, I have a brother in law who has lived in mission viejo for about 35 years he has a fairly new house that was worth 900,000.00 a few years back to day it's worth 450,000.00 and it still won't sell. Whats up with that? Ya'll having some problems or something?

OCFootballFan
10-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Hey, I have a brother in law who has lived in mission viejo for about 35 years he has a fairly new house that was worth 900,000.00 a few years back to day it's worth 450,000.00 and it still won't sell. Whats up with that? Ya'll having some problems or something?

It's called a bad economy. You should know. One of your fellow Texans put us in this mess. I believe you all refer to him as " W "?

Hitman49
10-01-2010, 12:49 PM
It's called a bad economy. You should know. One of your fellow Texans put us in this mess. I believe you all refer to him as " W "?
You got to be kidding! !

Austin109
10-01-2010, 12:49 PM

W isn't a Texan.

Austin109
10-01-2010, 12:58 PM

Dang, all us Texans together in 1 place. We must be doing really bad right?

Oh wait, our economy is doing better as a whole, creating jobs, has a lower unemployment rate, about 1/4 as many foreclosures, and generally isn't sucking compared to California's.

Suck on success.

slcdragonfan
10-01-2010, 12:59 PM

LOL, a "Blame Bush"er.

Gotta love California.

Now me? I blame Congress. Both sides of the aisle.

But heck, you're California and we're not, don't let us forget it either. ;)

trainin' the game
10-01-2010, 12:59 PM

:yes:

that was pretty good... gonna get a lot of flack for the statement even though it's true....

trainin' the game
10-01-2010, 01:04 PM
LOL, a "Blame Bush"er.

Gotta love California.

Now me? I blame Congress. Both sides of the aisle.

But heck, you're California and we're not, don't let us forget it either. ;)

yea you can blame congress too... but there is this little thing called 'checks and balances" so jr and sr made the laws and congress approved; flatout it was a bad time for america and alot ppl have been hurt by it...

can we get back to football? entertaining thread though...

ray1301
10-01-2010, 01:07 PM
yea you can blame congress too... but there is this little thing called 'checks and balances" so jr and sr made the laws and congress approved; flatout it was a bad time for america and alot ppl have been hurt by it...

Got it backwards bubba. But that is typical

stinger
10-01-2010, 01:14 PM

Try again...The president doesn't write the laws....

OCFootballFan
10-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Gotta run. This was fun though! Got to do it again soon. Heck, maybe i'll even come in and talk football next time! ;)

slcdragonfan
10-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Gotta run. This was fun though! Got to do it again soon. Heck, maybe i'll even come in and talk football next time! ;)

welcome back, want to hear about DLS recruiting methods and take notes.:heli:

Hitman49
10-01-2010, 01:25 PM

The first time DLS played out of state they got beat by Bellevue WA. Watched DLS on TV this year against Bishop Gorman the looked liked grade school team. Got home cooking to beat BG. BG played small school 3a school here few years back and got murdered hung half 100 on them.

Hitman49
10-01-2010, 01:31 PM

Skate

da hawaiian
10-01-2010, 01:44 PM

Go schedule Grant before you pop your mouth off in our forum

eaglefan87
10-01-2010, 07:45 PM

the president doesn't write the laws!!!! Congress does. And this lil mess we are in was created by the democratically controlled House and Senate that was in place during W term but the Dems and their media lackies blame it on W and sheep like yourself believe it all.