PDA

View Full Version : Defense Wins Championships!

TheDuke
04-08-2005, 10:44 AM
OK Folks, let's here who you think will have the strongest Defense this year? Who is your teams standouts on D? I for one know we will have A LOT of new faces on Defense so I have mixed feeling! What do your teams Defense's look like this upcoming season?

Mr. Buddy Garrity
04-08-2005, 10:54 AM
OK Folks, let's here who you think will have the strongest Defense this year? Who is your teams standouts on D? I for one know we will have A LOT of new faces on Defense so I have mixed feeling! What do your teams Defense's look like this upcoming season?
I have to say LP will have the best "D" this year, along with SLC and Katy.

Big Daddy Cool
04-08-2005, 12:20 PM
Haven't seen or heard much on North Shore though i'm sure their D will be the speed and attacking machine its been for the last ten years. As far as standouts I know we have big Ryan Riggins(6'7 300+lbs) coming back at DT. Other than that we will have alot of role players. As that kind of what the NS D has always been. Not always full of talent, but a collection of talent assembled around one of two good players. Just hope they've fixed whatever went wrong in those last two games.

CoppellCowboy57
04-08-2005, 01:21 PM
Euless Trinty has a pretty good defense, and same with Duncanville, they are big and strong

TheDuke
04-08-2005, 02:26 PM
Haven't seen or heard much on North Shore though i'm sure their D will be the speed and attacking machine its been for the last ten years. As far as standouts I know we have big Ryan Riggins(6'7 300+lbs) coming back at DT. Other than that we will have alot of role players. As that kind of what the NS D has always been. Not always full of talent, but a collection of talent assembled around one of two good players. Just hope they've fixed whatever went wrong in those last two games.

North Shore has been the best Defense that I have seen in person with my own two eyes the last two years then I have ever seen!! They play as a team and swarm to the ball better then anyone I have seen! We play you guys again this year, this time at our house, but I'm not sure that will make a difference! :mad:

Allkaty07
04-08-2005, 02:37 PM
Katy will have a very strong d this year! D line will be very strong alond with the db's!

pack0808
04-08-2005, 03:56 PM
i do not know if lufkin will have the best defense in the state but they are absolutely loaded this year. this defense has a chance to be the best ever from lufkin.

Red Raiders
04-08-2005, 04:19 PM
I have to say LP will have the best "D" this year, along with SLC and Katy.

OMG, not Southlake Carroll, they have very good offense and Tyler Lee got better defense than Southlake Carroll does for next year.

Red Raiders
04-08-2005, 04:19 PM
Lufkin will be the best defense next season if Hewitt not injuried.

Tyler Lee will be the same as last season.

Red Raiders
04-08-2005, 04:20 PM
North Shore has been the best Defense that I have seen in person with my own two eyes the last two years then I have ever seen!! They play as a team and swarm to the ball better then anyone I have seen! We play you guys again this year, this time at our house, but I'm not sure that will make a difference! :mad:

I thought people were saying North Shore defense was terrible when they played Spring Westfield 14-56.

tailgater
04-08-2005, 08:24 PM
N.S. defense/offense/special teams were all terrible that gloomy rainy day in Spring against Westfield.

That was the worse game I have ever seen N.S. Play. It had to happen one day and "it happened".

There was nothing the players, coaches, etc. could have done. It was just a bad day.

Don't get me wrong, I give kudos to Westfield - they deserved to win. My son and I went to the subsequent Westfield playoff games and all the way to S.A. to see them in the championship game. They deserved that much respect.

But I am a N.S. Mustang all the way and hope they can redeem themselves this year.

Xfballphenome05
04-08-2005, 08:47 PM
i think sv and lufkin will have aesome defenses next year. we have 5 returning starters-ryan moxygamba dt-blayne oertli de- mykel kovar olb-kendal volz(replacing joe at mlb)- and andrew sendejo cb- we also have Aaron hernandez at saftey who got a whole bunch of playing time,and matt phister at end.a defense thats loaded with studs,might b one of the best ones at sv in a while.

Big Daddy Cool
04-08-2005, 09:11 PM
N.S. defense/offense/special teams were all terrible that gloomy rainy day in Spring against Westfield.

That was the worse game I have ever seen N.S. Play. It had to happen one day and "it happened".

There was nothing the players, coaches, etc. could have done. It was just a bad day.

Don't get me wrong, I give kudos to Westfield - they deserved to win. My son and I went to the subsequent Westfield playoff games and all the way to S.A. to see them in the championship game. They deserved that much respect.

But I am a N.S. Mustang all the way and hope they can redeem themselves this year.

Indeed that was not something that had not happened to a Mustang team since Coach Aymond's arrival in 94'. Taking nothing away from Pearland or Spring Westfield but the team that played both of them was not the same team tha twon the state title the year before. Sure we all knew a let down would come sooner or later. Unfortunately for us it came when the game counts the most.

drgnbkr
04-08-2005, 10:24 PM
OMG, not Southlake Carroll, they have very good offense and Tyler Lee got better defense than Southlake Carroll does for next year.

Don't be rippin on the Dragons D..they will be as strong as ever..Boydston is a beast....

Katy Tiger
04-08-2005, 11:04 PM
Katy will have their best defensive team since the 2000 season. 5 returning starters and at least 3 others with varsity experience. Plenty of talent and speed coming up from very successful JV team. Coach Joseph is a defensive genius and will have plenty of talent to work with. We want you SLC.

Chief Wahoo
04-09-2005, 08:19 AM
I would say that from sheer experience and returning starters, Lufkin should be as tough as anyone in the state. :eek:

Warbird
04-09-2005, 10:36 AM
In blowouts where the score was 59-6, Abilene had its second or even third string kids playing from the second quarter or the half on...and they still held the score low. I think Abilene will be far tougher than everyone else has anticipated. :cool:

pack4life
04-09-2005, 03:38 PM
Defense wins championships? True, true. But the real thing that wins championships is chemistry IMO "Theres no I in Team"

slcdragons
04-09-2005, 06:00 PM
Katy will have their best defensive team since the 2000 season. 5 returning starters and at least 3 others with varsity experience. Plenty of talent and speed coming up from very successful JV team. Coach Joseph is a defensive genius and will have plenty of talent to work with. We want you SLC.

Be careful kitten...I mean Tiger.. you might just get what you want :eek:

drgnbkr
04-09-2005, 06:57 PM
Be careful kitten...I mean Tiger.. you might just get what you want :eek:

I second that! It won't happen twice....

Katyexrb29
04-09-2005, 09:05 PM
We shall see.

Katy Tiger
04-09-2005, 10:46 PM
Hey, We're not skeered!! Bring it on!! It would be fun to watch a bunch of hot air breathing dragons sent home with there tails between their legs, AGAIN!!!

KT2000
04-09-2005, 11:49 PM
Reminder: We're only one week into April. Don't burn out! lol

I'm fired up for the year to start already and it's obvious I'm not the only one reading all of these threads. I'm the same way when the NCAA Tourney ends every year. First thing I think..."Ok, so when do we get to watch football..."

drgnbkr
04-10-2005, 12:04 AM
Hey, We're not skeered!! Bring it on!! It would be fun to watch a bunch of hot air breathing dragons sent home with there tails between their legs, AGAIN!!!

Ditto to KT2000, don't burn yourself out too soon katytiger.....long way to go yet..you did'nt even make it to the big dance last year..we were waitin' but no Tigers??? Where ya go? I remember...Clear Lake got in the way....

Katyexrb29
04-10-2005, 01:54 AM
Thats between the legs:eek:

TheDuke
04-10-2005, 04:40 AM
I thought people were saying North Shore defense was terrible when they played Spring Westfield 14-56.

I didn't get to see that game but the score tells what happened. All the games I have seen Shore they were dominating! Guess I should have seen this game in person.

Katy Tiger
04-10-2005, 09:38 AM
Ditto to KT2000, don't burn yourself out too soon katytiger.....long way to go yet..you did'nt even make it to the big dance last year..we were waitin' but no Tigers??? Where ya go? I remember...Clear Lake got in the way....

There will be no burnout here, I'm in for the long haul. Just didn't appreciate the "kitten" reference.

SVend43
04-10-2005, 08:00 PM
People seem to forget about what is going to bae almost the same d that held the #1 team in the nation to 27 points. SV is going to have an awesome d next year

pack4life
04-10-2005, 08:22 PM
Almost the same D?? I thought SV had a lot of guys graduating??

tailgater
04-10-2005, 08:23 PM
I didn't get to see that game but the score tells what happened. All the games I have seen Shore they were dominating! Guess I should have seen this game in person.

Duke - Yes - you had to be there. Westfield played mistake free ball and anything that could go wrong - went wrong against N.S. Just as an example - Farr dropped a for sure pass up the middle. Special teams didn't get a handle on a ball punted to them and westfield recovered. There were many other miss cues. But the one I have nighmares about - is when N.S had Beasley pinned for a sack and a big loss - he lobbed the ball across the field - to a wide open receiver for a first down.

But hey - I'll get over it - Someday.

Xfballphenome05
04-10-2005, 08:44 PM
we rlly willonly b missing 2 standouts from last year..oviosly joe,but many think volz will be about as good as him,and erik anders..i dont think we will b missing truxton fox to much,bcuz we have oertli ,phister coming back at end.

drgnbkr
04-10-2005, 09:25 PM
There will be no burnout here, I'm in for the long haul. Just didn't appreciate the "kitten" reference.

I missed the "kitten" reference...

ktCarl
04-10-2005, 09:27 PM
Oh boy! It's only April and we're already smacking with the SLCers! It's getting kinda boring around here without any football being played right now so I welcome the banter. I do think that wanting to put it to the Dragons is going a bridge too far right now. We have a game against the Woodlanders at the beginnig of the season that has my attention.

drgnbkr
04-10-2005, 09:46 PM
Yeah, I guess we have 15 games to get through before we could play Katy again...lots of water yet to flow under that bridge...(or something like that) but it is fun getting the smackathon goin early!... :cool:

SLC-Dad
04-11-2005, 02:43 AM
Oh boy! It's only April and we're already smacking with the SLCers! It's getting kinda boring around here without any football being played right now so I welcome the banter. I do think that wanting to put it to the Dragons is going a bridge too far right now. We have a game against the Woodlanders at the beginnig of the season that has my attention.

Boy are you right, ktCarl.......way too early for either of us to be worried about the other. We have 10 teams on our schedule, all of which want revenge for last year (or in the case of Coppell, the last 3 years). We need focus our attention on those folks first........There will be plenty of time for "smackin" with you all after taking care of that business....... :) :) :)

SLC-Dad
04-11-2005, 03:13 AM
In blowouts where the score was 59-6, Abilene had its second or even third string kids playing from the second quarter or the half on...and they still held the score low. I think Abilene will be far tougher than everyone else has anticipated. :cool:

Warbird, I don't think anyone will be overlooking you guys this year, not with the offense that you'll put on the field. On defense, you could be right about the backups filling the holes, but with all the loses on that side of the ball, it is hard to imagine the defense being as good as last years.

IMO it is more likely that your QB and offense will step it up a notch and win most games this year......Regardless, AHS should still be the favorite to win your district and make a good run in the playoffs.

ALLIN
04-11-2005, 08:32 AM
I love it. Same thing every year. "SLC defense will be weak" and same result every year, we are playing for the state campionship. SLC defense will be the best it has been in 3 years, that is a fact. Our offense will be just as good, with Newton at Rb and a stud rec corp We will be stacked again. Be ready!

WestlandTiger'95
04-11-2005, 02:40 PM
although Katy has a great # of returning starters on D and more speed than we have had in a long time...we do have one BIG ? and that is at linebacker. it will be very interesting to see who steps it up this year. We will be a very tough defense to run inside on and to throw deep against. it's the outside 10 yard range that will be the determining factor. I have all the faith in Coach joseph though....they will get the job done.

KT2000
04-11-2005, 03:05 PM
Until SLC stops winning 15 or 16 games a year, I don't see how anyone can question what they have in the program right now. Obviously, they've got 5A figured out pretty good.

Based on the research I've done so far, a small group of teams stand out as programs that could get the number one pre-season ranking from us by the time the Guide releases. We haven't decided on a number one yet.

In 2003 and 2004, we pretty much knew who our number one would be at this point. However, in 2003 we did go back and forth between Lufkin and North Shore.

This year, a very select group (as usual) return the right amount of experience and incoming young crop of talent to be seriously considered for a number one ranking.

I would say there are five teams right now that I believe build a strong case for a pre-season number one ranking.

Here is an interesting fact...

In each of the last three seasons multiple teams that were eliminated in the second round, or not even in the playoffs the previous year went on to make the state title game.

2002: Converse Judson (state champ after going out in 2001 2nd round), Midland (state finalist after not being in the post-season for 40 years or so)
2003: North Shore (state champ after going out in 2002 2nd round), The Woodlands (state finalist after losing in 2nd round in 2002)
2004: Spring Westfield (state finalist after surprisingly missing the post-season all together in '03), Smithson Valley (state finalist after losing in 2nd round in '03)

So, when formulating pre-season rankings it seems like the second round cane be a great place to look if you want to bank on recent trends.

Oh, and this year's NCAA college basketball champion North Carolina lost in the second round to Texas last year before winning it all this year.

I'm telling you, there's something about that dang second round! ;)

SummitGrad04
04-11-2005, 03:46 PM
Euless Trinty has a pretty good defense, and same with Duncanville, they are big and strong
Trinity's D is pretty nice, but I don't know about Duncanville. I haven't been all that impressed with them these last few years.

Red Raiders
04-11-2005, 04:43 PM
People seem to forget about what is going to bae almost the same d that held the #1 team in the nation to 27 points. SV is going to have an awesome d next year

Yes I bet so, they may be better next year than this season.

Red Raiders
04-11-2005, 04:45 PM
I am going to say Katy, Lufkin, and Smithson Valley will have the best defense in state next season.

CoppellCowboy57
04-11-2005, 09:39 PM
Trinity's D is pretty nice, but I don't know about Duncanville. I haven't been all that impressed with them these last few years.

Duncanvilles only problim is that they arnt coached really good..

ALLIN
04-12-2005, 09:47 AM
I think it may have been the SLC offense that held themselves to 27 points. NO one can stop them, but they can stop themsleves. You guys had a good defense with the middle linebacker being a big part of that. Big hole to fill there.

TheDuke
04-12-2005, 11:53 AM
Duke - Yes - you had to be there. Westfield played mistake free ball and anything that could go wrong - went wrong against N.S. Just as an example - Farr dropped a for sure pass up the middle. Special teams didn't get a handle on a ball punted to them and westfield recovered. There were many other miss cues. But the one I have nighmares about - is when N.S had Beasley pinned for a sack and a big loss - he lobbed the ball across the field - to a wide open receiver for a first down.

But hey - I'll get over it - Someday.

Hey, we ALL have loses that we won't get over, how about losing to RR McNeil when your a heavy favor to win!! :mad:

Allkaty07
04-12-2005, 12:59 PM
Hey, we ALL have loses that we won't get over, how about losing to RR McNeil when your a heavy favor to win!! :mad:

Word Duke.... Clear Lake... Nobody likes to lose, but sometimes losing is a good thing. You learn from your mistakes, and it makes you strive for the best in the upcoming offseason and spring... which leads to the BIG W's come December! :)

TheDuke
04-12-2005, 02:07 PM
Word Duke.... Clear Lake... Nobody likes to lose, but sometimes losing is a good thing. You learn from your mistakes, and it makes you strive for the best in the upcoming offseason and spring... which leads to the BIG W's come December! :)

I tell you what, I never thought that Lake was gonna win that game, what a game that must have been to see! I bet everyone was in shock! To see Aston's pic of tears in the paper must have been a tough loss to go through!

Mr. Buddy Garrity
04-12-2005, 03:34 PM
I tell you what, I never thought that Lake was gonna win that game, what a game that must have been to see! I bet everyone was in shock! To see Aston's pic of tears in the paper must have been a tough thiong to go through!
How about losing to a mediocre Lamar team when you have the best RB in the whole freaking nation. and you lose because you don't give him the ball on the last play and throw a dam pass. sheesh!

FIRE COACH COLBERT!

TheDuke
04-12-2005, 03:41 PM
Ya well, hopefully we lose from our mistakes! On our last drive to tie up with Lufkin our QB through the game tying TD pass to a wide open SOPH.! Of course he dropped it! We lose 28-21! :(

Red Raiders
04-12-2005, 04:26 PM
I tell you what, I never thought that Lake was gonna win that game, what a game that must have been to see! I bet everyone was in shock! To see Aston's pic of tears in the paper must have been a tough loss to go through!

Yes Thats true, when I was listening to the radio for Clear Lake vs Katy, and I was excited to see a close game in overtime, I was like, I bet Katy fans were very pissed off and a blownout game to me.

Allkaty07
04-12-2005, 04:41 PM
Not pissed, but disapointed... Still it was a great year! The team did a great job! :)

Red Raiders
04-12-2005, 04:43 PM
Not pissed, but disapointed... Still it was a great year! The team did a great job! :)

But I really thought yall would really won.

ktCarl
04-12-2005, 08:56 PM
Goes to show you never really know what's gonna happen in H.S. playoff football. I wasn't all that impressed with the 2003 Tigers at the end of the regular season and then they erupted for a State Title. The 2004 team in my opinion was better than the 2003 team and I thought primed for a repeat title. OOPS! They fall to Clear Lake. Who woulda ever thought?! BTW, why aren't there any Clear Lake fans posting on this board? You would think they would be more than anxious to give it to the Tiger faithful until at least playoff time.

catman
04-12-2005, 09:12 PM
Goes to show you never really know what's gonna happen in H.S. playoff football. I wasn't all that impressed with the 2003 Tigers at the end of the regular season and then they erupted for a State Title. The 2004 team in my opinion was better than the 2003 team and I thought primed for a repeat title. OOPS! They fall to Clear Lake. Who woulda ever thought?!

And remember what happened to Katy in 2002. They opened the season by losing big to Lufkin. Then lost to Hastings and Elsik in district to wind up as the 3rd place team. But they made it all the way to the final 4 before losing to Smithson Valley. Go figure.

PackAttack2005
04-12-2005, 09:29 PM
Lufkin 2003, high expectations for the team that year, in fact we were ranked #1 most of that year. We blast Katy 35 -14 in the first game of the season, win district and then get knocked out in the first round by underdog Garland. Katy went on to win state in 2003. Those are tough losses, but that's what makes Texas High School football great.

By the way Duke, the score of the Lufkin - The Woodlands games was 35 -28 and Lufkin also dropped TD passes earlier in the game.

All water under the bridge.

I am looking forward to August.

Go Pack!!!

Texasfrog
04-12-2005, 09:34 PM
I wouldnt knock on that Clear Lake program to much. I think they are a very strong up and coming program. I've seen some of their Junior High and Freshman teams play the last few years and they usually kicked the out of most people they played.

I may be wrong but I think Clear Lake is for real.

b04w
04-13-2005, 09:57 PM
hey ktCarl, who are you to say that the 04 katy team was better than the 03? The only person who would say that is if you were on the 04 team. The 03 team never gets its credit. They were the best since the 2000 team. This 05 team has a chance to be great but they have to do it on the field.

TheDuke
04-14-2005, 10:04 AM
Lufkin 2003, high expectations for the team that year, in fact we were ranked #1 most of that year. We blast Katy 35 -14 in the first game of the season, win district and then get knocked out in the first round by underdog Garland. Katy went on to win state in 2003. Those are tough losses, but that's what makes Texas High School football great.

By the way Duke, the score of the Lufkin - The Woodlands games was 35 -28 and Lufkin also dropped TD passes earlier in the game.

All water under the bridge.

I am looking forward to August.

Go Pack!!!

When did you guys drop TD pass? Just curious? Thanks for the score correction! :D

KT2000
04-14-2005, 10:29 AM
I don't think anyone in Katy downplays what the 2003 group did. It was nothing short of amazing considering the way the year started.

I think he meant 2004 was better than 2003 from a pure talent point of view. I actually agree with that, but as we all know, talent doesn't guarantee anything. It depends on how everything comes together on the field. 13 or 14 players with starting experience from that '04 team will be back to see if they can match or top their accomplishments from last year.

A 12-2 record is nothing to be ashamed of especially given that both losses were in overtime. Katy had uncharacteristic lapses against Alief Taylor and Clear Lake that didn't happen for extended periods of time against anyone else they played. I still think the 2004 Tigers were one of the best to step on campus when they were at full strength.

When you are a "marked program", you better bring the A-game every time out because you better believe the opponent is going to be hungry to take you off the pedestal.

Teams have nothing to lose and everything to gain against a highly decorated program like Katy, Southlake Carroll or Lufkin so that's part of why maintaining an extended period of dominance in a sport like this is no easy feat.

If Southlake Carroll can advance to a fourth straight state championship game this fall, I think it'll be one of the top accomplishments of any program in the history of Texas High School football just because of how many good players and teams there are today.

ktCarl
04-14-2005, 07:32 PM
hey ktCarl, who are you to say that the 04 katy team was better than the 03? The only person who would say that is if you were on the 04 team. The 03 team never gets its credit. They were the best since the 2000 team. This 05 team has a chance to be great but they have to do it on the field.

KT2000 explained what I was saying very well. I've watched the Tigers from 1994 to 2004 and have enjoyed every team and their different personalities. I wasn't dissing the 2003 team and what I wrote was just my opinion...Hey, how 'bout a State Title against the juggernaut Dragons (I wrote that to tweak drgnbkr's nose) for giving 'em credit! That says a lot for that team. BTW, my son graduated from Katy in 2000 so I'm just a tad bit 'ancient' to be playing High School football. Just ask KT2000. He's seen me in person.

rangerpride
04-15-2005, 08:54 PM
MOST of SV's TOP guys on D last year were juniors. Pawelek was the BEST, but after him guys like Sendejo, Oertli, and both outside LBers (all juniors), made most of the big plays. The defense won't miss a beat and the offense will not be as one dimensional as it was last year when we have a real threat at RB in the McKinney/Rios combo backfield. Not to mention both starting WR's back and some of the best lineman (as a group) in SV's history.

SV will be back in the final 4 AT LEAST. BANK ON IT!

PackAttack2005
04-15-2005, 10:00 PM
I would be confident too if my team played in your region. Who is over there to give you any trouble in Region 4 , Division 2 playoffs?

Xfballphenome05
04-15-2005, 10:31 PM
I would be confident too if my team played in your region. Who is over there to give you any trouble in Region 4 , Division 2 playoffs?

umm ok,i think theres some pretty good teams in our regoin.

PackAttack2005
04-16-2005, 10:26 AM
Who? S.A. Madison, Roosevelt, Clemens, Taft, Regan, O'Conner, Judson, who else in Region 4 could possibly be a challenge? Westlake, Copperas Cove, Pfluggerville, Cedar Park and Leander are all in Region 2, so who else is a top contending program in Region 4 out side of San Antonio?

rangerpride
04-16-2005, 11:24 AM

Same old argument we heard all year in the playoffs. :rolleyes:
If we get so far because our region is SO WEAK, then why don't we get beat by the Houston schools every year in the semis??? We beat the dynasty known as Katy when no one gave us a chance in hell of winning, then beat the Katy killers Clear Lake last year after they ran roughshod all over that region. No one had an answer for their offense until SV dared to be unconventional and play eight and 9 guys in the box to DARE clear Lake to throw the ball. Then we damn near beat the #1 team in the nation in the finals. We're 2-0 against the Houston area in 5A, so our success can't be based solely on the fact that our region is weak. Maybe you're bias towards your region makes you think your region is tougher than ours. How much knowledge of Region 4 do you REALLY have anyway?

Chief Wahoo
04-16-2005, 11:56 AM
Then we damn near beat the #1 team in the nation in the finals

Ranger, I am not taking sides on this one I promise. But I would like to ask how you would like having to play that # 1 opponent in the THIRD ROUND as the Region 1 teams do. :eek: :eek: :mad: ! For what it's worth, you guys had the only D that I saw last year that was the equal of Abilene's. And I think that your D (along with Lufkin's) will be one of the better Ds coming into this next season. I would say your future looks bright for 2005 IMHO. :cool:

PackAttack2005
04-16-2005, 12:04 PM
I know as much as you do about region 4. I didn't make the statement that Region 2 was better, my point is that there are far more quality teams to go through at playoff time through Region 2 than SV has to deal with in Region 4.

That doesn't take away the fact that SV has a great football program in place, it is not your fault that the Division 2 bracket of Region 4 doesn't have many strong programs available at playoff time. Your main competition comes from the San Antonio area, period. The RGV team may be improving, but they are nowhere near top playoff calibur programs right now.

rangerpride
04-16-2005, 01:07 PM
I know as much as you do about region 4. I didn't make the statement that Region 2 was better, my point is that there are far more quality teams to go through at playoff time through Region 2 than SV has to deal with in Region 4.

That doesn't take away the fact that SV has a great football program in place, it is not your fault that the Division 2 bracket of Region 4 doesn't have many strong programs available at playoff time. Your main competition comes from the San Antonio area, period. The RGV team may be improving, but they are nowhere near top playoff calibur programs right now.

I agree the RGV teams are nowhere near the caliber of parts of Region 2, but other regions have their cupcake areas. How many good teams come out of West Texas? I can think of 2 or 3. Still, the way you say our main competition comes from the San Antonio area makes it sound like San Antonio only has 2 or 3 good programs. That would be like me saying Region 3 only has its competition from the Houston area. Duh!!! (for lack of better words) Houston and San Antonio are big metropolis areas with a LOT of good teams. San Antonio area has about 30 5A schools in it. Granted not all of them are great, or even good programs, but it would make sense that our competition comes from San Antonio since that is where the majority of the schools are from in Region 4.

Besides Abilene, what other schools outside of the DAFW metroplex are competitive enough to challenge for the Region 1 title anyway? I'll admit, I don't know much about Region 1 & 2 teams other than SLC, Abilene, Denton Ryan, Carter, Lufkin, etc. That is why I am asking. Trying to compare notes here. ;)

PackAttack2005
04-16-2005, 08:57 PM
Actually, I really could care less about anyone but Region 2, because that is where Lufkin resides. If we are fortunate to get to the semi-finals, I don't care who we play. Our whole year is concetrated around playing 90% of the year in Region 2, only in the semi-finals and finals will we see anyone from region 1, 2 or 3. The bottom line is if anyone is good enough to win their Region they are qualified to play in the semi-finals or finals in my book.

The real question about weak and strong regions will never be answered because the strength in each region changes from year to year. it is just something to talk about in the off season and bragging rights during the season. It is all Texas high school football to me and I think Texas plays the best all-around high school football in the USA.

Go Pack!!!

ktCarl
04-17-2005, 09:01 AM
I agree with PackAttack. I don't care where the team comes from when it's playoff time, I just care about beating them. Katy's first 5A Tiltle in '97 was when the district was aligned with the Spring Branch schools. In '97 Spring Branch was very weak. I think a real good team can come out of the sorriest Region and kick someone's booty in the State Final.