PDA

View Full Version : Best Athletic Numbers

forest99
03-06-2006, 09:55 AM
ok football fans, post your players times and strength numbers here, time to represent!!!heres mine....
FB Antonio Kelly 5-8 205 runs a 4.6 40, benches 355, squats 435, power cleans 260, and has a 28 inch vertical
OL Cole Felder 6-4 runs a 5.3, benches 400, squats 480, power cleans 285, and has a 25 inch vertical and a 3 year starter at OL....oh ya, and kt...im lobbying for a. kelly to be on the front page!!!!(he's one of top returning fb in the state!!)

PackAttack2005
03-06-2006, 10:12 AM
All of those statistics blurr my thought process. Big numbers are all well and good, but the bottom line do these guys have the instincts and ability to play the game. The strongest or fastest people may have all the tools but it doesn't always make them an automatic football talent.

Look at Will Thompson from Katy or Jacorey Turner from Lufkin, not big guys at all, but they can sure play some football.

SeguinMatadors
03-06-2006, 10:15 AM
Most numbers you hear about HS players are inflated. There are hundreds of guys who say they run 4.3's and 4.4's in HS.... that simply is jibberish... I doubt there is one player in Texas running a 4.3 right now. Just look at the NFL combine... hardly any 4.3's are ran and most of those guys train for 4 more years than any of those HS guys.... and train to run the 40 in the coming months before the draft.

forest99
03-06-2006, 10:20 AM
well, the answer is no, theyre not inflated....i saw them all personally...and yes, these two guys can definately play some ball!!!! thats why i picked them instead of strong guys who cant play worth a lick!!!

AllenEagles07
03-06-2006, 10:22 AM
charles O. RB-Bench-300
Squat-going for 600
Clean-300
40-4.4
Hong OL-Bench-350
Squat-500+
Clean-340+
40-5.0
they are maxing out this week and the numbers are getting bigger

CoveFan05
03-06-2006, 10:25 AM
Most numbers you hear about HS players are inflated. There are hundreds of guys who say they run 4.3's and 4.4's in HS.... that simply is jibberish... I doubt there is one player in Texas running a 4.3 right now. Just look at the NFL combine... hardly any 4.3's are ran and most of those guys train for 4 more years than any of those HS guys.... and train to run the 40 in the coming months before the draft.

Donald Buckram of Copperas Cove infact ran a sub 4.4

Drake
03-06-2006, 10:31 AM
Sometimes I think it's more important at the high school level to have kids that work hard as a team and are coachable (by good coaches) than it is to have extraordinary individual athleticism... Of course, when you have both, the sky's the limit...

CCBoy
03-06-2006, 10:38 AM
I agree with you Seguin that alot of these highschoolers numbers are inflated, but there are many highschoolers that actually run 4.3's and 4.4's. Most of these guys are filtered out on the college levels because they do not have the overall package that it takes at their positions. I've seen highschool CB's with 4.3 or 4.4 speed that can't cover worth crap or WR's that can't run routes skillfully. Texas is known for speed, but everyone that is fast doesn't get through the cracks by having that one skill. NFL scouts would rather scout a CB that runs a 4.5 and stays on the WR like glue than a CB with 4.3 speed that can't backpedal and or allows 12 points a game.

SeguinMatadors
03-06-2006, 10:38 AM
Donald Buckram of Copperas Cove infact ran a sub 4.4

The 40 times recorded in HS are very inaccurate.

bubbacoach
03-06-2006, 10:45 AM
Most are done by the coaches hand so they are off sometimes by up to a tenth of a second. So if they say they ran a 4.4 then they ran near that and that is fast, period. We have a Freshman:
5ft 2in
115 lbs
Bench 215
Squat 350
40 4.67

That is pretty freakish for his size.

CCBoy
03-06-2006, 10:45 AM
The 40 times recorded in HS are very inaccurate.
Highschool times are kept just like everyone else's times now (accu-track). Very seldom are times kept by hand held timers due to error.

bubbacoach
03-06-2006, 10:48 AM
Highschool times are kept just like everyone else's times now (accu-track). Very seldom are times kept by hand held timers due to error.
That is only if your go to a college camp. Most are still kept by hand. Even at most track meets they are kept by hand. Most high schools cannot afford to buy a accu-track. So they are mostly hand held.

alnegle07
03-06-2006, 10:58 AM
charles O. RB-Bench-300
Squat-going for 600
Clean-300
40-4.4
Hong OL-Bench-350
Squat-500+
Clean-340+
40-5.0
they are maxing out this week and the numbers are getting bigger

and jameson barna olb
bench- 315
squat- close to 530
cleans-close to 300
40 - 4-7ish probably a lil faster

and chima
bench about 315
squat- ithink is the same as hong maybe like 5 lbs less
cleans 300+
40- 4-6

144 Quarters
03-06-2006, 11:36 AM
ok football fans, post your players times and strength numbers here, time to represent!!!heres mine....
FB Antonio Kelly 5-8 205 runs a 4.6 40, benches 355, squats 435, power cleans 260, and has a 28 inch vertical
OL Cole Felder 6-4 runs a 5.3, benches 400, squats 480, power cleans 285, and has a 25 inch vertical and a 3 year starter at OL....oh ya, and kt...im lobbying for a. kelly to be on the front page!!!!(he's one of top returning fb in the state!!)

Too bad those numbers dont show up on the field.

forest99
03-06-2006, 11:43 AM
Too bad those numbers dont show up on the field.
comon now 144 quarters..what does that even mean anyways....get over yourself and your little "teh" woodlands facination.....im sittin here trying to have a nice wholesome chat with some football fans and then you come in tryin to wreck havoc....get over it, "teh" woodlands will NO longer be a power...less kids=less athletes.....conroe and "teh" woodlands are now even...so lets see how this translates onto the friday night lights...and how did that not translate to on the field....a. kelly rushed 14 times for 104 yards....hmmm...

Big Daddy Cool
03-06-2006, 12:51 PM
We've had this discussion a hundred thousand times and the result is always the same. Everyone believes their school has the fastest athletes and therefor no other school could possibly have anyone that is as fast or faster than their school.

Then you have the whole track speed and football speed debate. There are a lot of kids that when put on the track or event eh field in just shorts and shoes that can fly, but as soon as you put the pads on them they aren't as quick. Some can carry their pads and maintain mos tof their speed, but far too often once you throw the pads on they slow down.

As far as the tiems recorded by coaches beign inflated aren't most of the number inflated when it comes to a player's physical stats. i eman how many times have you seen a guy listed as being taller or heavier than he actually is? it happen in every program acroos the state. Hell it even happens at the college and pro level.

KattTx
03-06-2006, 01:04 PM
I have to agree with BDcool.. The heights, weights, lift capacaties, and speed times are alway incorrect more often than they are right.

KT1ss24
03-06-2006, 01:38 PM

Are you talking about a 4.3 average or just into the 4.3's. Either way M. Fuda from katy ran a 4.34 on his first try then slipped at the starting line twice, but was still able to come up with a 4.4 one one of them.

SeguinMatadors
03-06-2006, 01:49 PM
Are you talking about a 4.3 average or just into the 4.3's. Either way M. Fuda from katy ran a 4.34 on his first try then slipped at the starting line twice, but was still able to come up with a 4.4 one one of them.

Garbage.. these guys would be running 4.6's at NFL combine.

SeguinMatadors
03-06-2006, 02:04 PM
I do not mean to talk mess or discredit you guys but if you are going to try and convince that these jr's in HS are better athletes than most NFL athletes you are fighting a losing battle.

CCBoy
03-06-2006, 02:33 PM
I do not mean to talk mess or discredit you guys but if you are going to try and convince that these jr's in HS are better athletes than most NFL athletes you are fighting a losing battle.
Fast doesn't mean a better athlete. It is one skill that goes along with being an athlete. I knew guys that were super sprinters on the football field as well as on the track, but not the guys you wanted on the field. There are plenty of highschoolers that are faster than some of the NFL's elite runnners, but that doesn't grant them a sure spot on an NFL team.

forest99
03-06-2006, 02:37 PM
Fast doesn't mean a better athlete. It is one skill that goes along with being an athlete. I knew guys that were super sprinters on the football field as well as on the track, but not the guys you wanted on the field. There are plenty of highschoolers that are faster than some of the NFL's elite runnners, but that doesn't grant them a sure spot on an NFL team.
yes, your completely correct....being 4.4 fast doesnt automatically translate to success on the field....HOWEVA....i dont think people are going to put guys on here that didnt amount to anything on teh field...well, i assume not..i didnt...a. kelly and c. felder and great football players also...and great athletes...

CCBoy
03-06-2006, 02:50 PM
yes, your completely correct....being 4.4 fast doesnt automatically translate to success on the field....HOWEVA....i dont think people are going to put guys on here that didnt amount to anything on teh field...well, i assume not..i didnt...a. kelly and c. felder and great football players also...and great athletes...
I totally agree with you conroe05...Matter of fact I love the topic. I was just informing Seguin that there are HS kids that can run 4.3's and 4.4's, but saying at the same time that alot of them don't make the pro's. By no means am I discrediting this thread, but I know HS kids run those times all over the nation and especially Texas.

SeguinMatadors
03-06-2006, 02:51 PM

Well you aren't going to convince me that there are players on every team that could run the best 40 time at their respective posistions at the combine... it just isn't true.

CCBoy
03-06-2006, 02:57 PM
Well you aren't going to convince me that there are players on every team that could run the best 40 time at their respective posistions at the combine... it just isn't true.
You are right, not every team will have kids to run those times and most won't. Ohio State's Ginn didn't run his 3.9 in college, but he did it in highschool. If it was a hand held time you can bet it was probably still a 4.0.

dragonsdaddy
03-06-2006, 03:03 PM
You are right, not every team will have kids to run those times and most won't. Ohio State's Ginn didn't run his 3.9 in college, but he did it in highschool. If it was a hand held time you can bet it was probably still a 4.0.
what is the closest he's run to a 3 since stumble thumbs timed him in hs? if his best "real" time is in the 4.2-4.3 range, doesn't that make the hs time quite bogus? i'm betting he hasn't slowed down much in college.

LeanderLions3033
03-06-2006, 03:39 PM
Staton Jobe of Westlake is one of the faster recievers i've seen in person. Out of Westlake, all you hear is he runs a 4.3, he runs a 4.3. And at the nike combine last year he ran a 4.5 flat (which was the 2nd fastest time of ANY reciever there). That tells you alot about the 40 times recorded by coaches and then when they are officially recorded. Donald Buckram was very fast dont get me wrong, but i doubt VERY seriously he acutally ran a true, non handtimed sub 4.4. I talk about this all the time. Dont get on here and boast about how your friend runs a 4.3 when in all actuality he doesnt. Chad Jackson was the fastest reciever at the NFL combine this year, and he ran a 4.32. Are yall gonna sit here and tell me that Donald Buckram could have gone to the NFL combine and ran 4.3 and beat Chad Jackson. I dont think so.

RidgePride
03-06-2006, 04:17 PM

You are so - so correct!
To run a 4.3 is astronomical. There are probably less than 20 guys in the NFL that run a true 4.3.
Truth be told, a 4.5 is decent NFL speed.

SeguinMatadors
03-06-2006, 04:57 PM
Staton Jobe of Westlake is one of the faster recievers i've seen in person. Out of Westlake, all you hear is he runs a 4.3, he runs a 4.3. And at the nike combine last year he ran a 4.5 flat (which was the 2nd fastest time of ANY reciever there). That tells you alot about the 40 times recorded by coaches and then when they are officially recorded. Donald Buckram was very fast dont get me wrong, but i doubt VERY seriously he acutally ran a true, non handtimed sub 4.4. I talk about this all the time. Dont get on here and boast about how your friend runs a 4.3 when in all actuality he doesnt. Chad Jackson was the fastest reciever at the NFL combine this year, and he ran a 4.32. Are yall gonna sit here and tell me that Donald Buckram could have gone to the NFL combine and ran 4.3 and beat Chad Jackson. I dont think so.

The voice of reason.... well done.

LeanderLions3033
03-06-2006, 10:20 PM
The voice of reason.... well done.
I try. I try and get my point across about this issue, because it is so wrong lol. Its a small pet peeve of mine. I thought the Staton Jobe example perfectly set up my opinion. The fastest reciever at the combine last year was some 5'9" 150 lbs wr that ran a 4.43.

SeguinMatadors
03-06-2006, 10:24 PM
I try. I try and get my point across about this issue, because it is so wrong lol. Its a small pet peeve of mine. I thought the Staton Jobe example perfectly set up my opinion. The fastest reciever at the combine last year was some 5'9" 150 lbs wr that ran a 4.43.

lol... trust me... it is my peeve too. In HS guys would drive me crazy telling me they ran a 4.4. Usually the convos. went like this...

Me: What do you run?
Athlete: 4.4
Me: No you don't
Athlete: Yes I do....
Me: Oh, so you are faster than almost every reciever in the NFL?
Athlete: Uh...

SeguinMatadors
03-06-2006, 10:25 PM
lol... trust me... it is my peeve too. In HS guys would drive me crazy telling me they ran a 4.4. Usually the convos. went like this...

Sometimes it got heated lol... I just hate that there were like 10 players on our team running 4.4's and less than that at the combine.:confused:

BigtimeO-line
03-06-2006, 10:30 PM
ummm, is it just me, or does this seem alot like a thread that i posted a lil while ago? you know askin about ppl's maxes, lol, i knew i noticed something familiar! :D

ACM Dad
03-06-2006, 11:01 PM
dammit! where are the sub -5.0 linemen???

c'mon, quit braggin' about all those backs and give the big men some love....

:D

CKE
03-06-2006, 11:20 PM

Yeah but what about those guys that really did run a 4.4 :D

LeanderLions3033
03-07-2006, 01:00 AM
I can probably count a few on my hand over the past 5 years the people that actually ran sub 4.4 40's. Not just some random track guy on the team, i'm talking game breakers. Ramonce Taylor may have had it. Todd Walker of Tx Tech may have had it. Those are the only two that i can think of off the top of my head that i've lately that i think could have possibly on a good day broke 4.4. But i still dont think they could.

CCBoy
03-07-2006, 07:21 AM
I can probably count a few on my hand over the past 5 years the people that actually ran sub 4.4 40's. Not just some random track guy on the team, i'm talking game breakers. Ramonce Taylor may have had it. Todd Walker of Tx Tech may have had it. Those are the only two that i can think of off the top of my head that i've lately that i think could have possibly on a good day broke 4.4. But i still dont think they could.
It looks like I've been saying the same thing you're saying. Most highshool 40 times are exaggerated and guys on every team claim that they run low 4's in the 40...not true, but there are kids that run those times, just not big time players and not as many as we all claim do. I do think there's more than a finger count of 4.3's and 4.4's over the last five years statewide though. You named a couple of Big Twelve guys, but there are faster guys in some of the smaller universities and JUCO's that I'm pretty sure ran those times in highschool, but maybe not quite as talented as those Big Twelve guys.

slorch
03-07-2006, 07:48 AM
the only game I saw Buckram in, he had a BLAST up the middle for 50+ yards against Lufkin, and regardless of 40 times, he SMOKED everybody. It's not like Lufkin has a bunch of 3 legged dogs in their secondary... One of the most impressive runs I have ever seen.
I would believe it if someone told me he ran a 4.3 40. But more importantly, he can fly on the field as well.

Slim-Rob
03-07-2006, 10:11 AM

I disagree with what you say. BUT there is a difference between track speed and football speed. Kyle Fox ran a sub 4.4 on the track, and he was about that fast on the football field too. There are many players that run 4.4s or better, but when they get on the football field they are slow. And someone above said many are filtered out by the college levels, which is true. Being fast and having no skill is one thing, but a lot of times the faster people are to small.

If you look through the Nike Sparq numbers, there are MANY kids with sub 4.4 times...

SeguinMatadors
03-07-2006, 10:26 AM
I disagree with what you say. BUT there is a difference between track speed and football speed. Kyle Fox ran a sub 4.4 on the track, and he was about that fast on the football field too. There are many players that run 4.4s or better, but when they get on the football field they are slow. And someone above said many are filtered out by the college levels, which is true. Being fast and having no skill is one thing, but a lot of times the faster people are to small.

Dude, those guys at the combine run their 40's on a track like surface. Fox ran a low 4.5 at best. His best asset was his quickness.... and he was quick and fast but he wasn't faster than nearly all NFL runningbacks.

SeguinMatadors
03-07-2006, 10:28 AM
No, all of you guys are right... I am wrong... guys get slower in college.:rolleyes:

Geez, lets be logical here.

Slim-Rob
03-07-2006, 10:30 AM
Dude, those guys at the combine run their 40's on a track like surface. Fox ran a low 4.5 at best. His best asset was his quickness.... and he was quick and fast but he wasn't faster than nearly all NFL runningbacks.

...no, Fox ran faster than a 4.5.

I know they ran that on a track, but so does everyone else. I even said there is a difference between track speed and football speed for most. Some run about the same on the field as on the track.

CKE
03-07-2006, 10:38 AM
seguin a 4.4/4.5 is not that rare now there are 2 kids st sv that ran high 4.2

SeguinMatadors
03-07-2006, 10:39 AM
...no, Fox ran faster than a 4.5.

I know they ran that on a track, but so does everyone else. I even said there is a difference between track speed and football speed for most. Some run about the same on the field as on the track.

No, that number might have been recorded but it was incorrect.

Lets just look at this logically for a second...

Answer a series of questions for me....

First, would you say that an 18 year old athlete coming out of HS and physically training for 4 years will get faster or slower?

SeguinMatadors
03-07-2006, 10:40 AM
seguin a 4.4/4.5 is not that rare now there are 2 kids st sv that ran high 4.2

Dude, no offense, but that is garbage. There is not a kid at SV who can run a 4.2 and who ever recorded those times was just wrong.

CKE
03-07-2006, 10:43 AM
Dude, no offense, but that is garbage. There is not a kid at SV who can run a 4.2 and who ever recorded those times was just wrong.

university of texas and baylor............... pretty good resources i think

Slim-Rob
03-07-2006, 10:43 AM
speaking of Kyle Fox...

At Angelo State he started 1 game, played in 12. His stats were pretty good for a freshman.

160 rushes for 1417 yards and 15 touchdowns (led team in rushes, yards, and rushing tds)

19 receptions for 351 yards and 3 tds

12 kick returns for 319 yards (1 td) (2nd best on team 12 returns 181 yards. Kyle blew him away.)

8.86 yards average per rush
18.47 yards average per reception
26.58 yards average per kick return
2087 all purpose yards, 0 fumbles

CKE
03-07-2006, 10:45 AM

First, would you say that an 18 year old athlete coming out of HS and physically training for 4 years will get faster or slower?

faster unless they are one of those people that lose speed when they gain muscle. some guys are like that but not many.

bubbacoach
03-07-2006, 10:46 AM
Fox was not exceptionally fast, but he had great hips and vision and good quickness. Track speed and football speed often have very little correlation.

Slim-Rob
03-07-2006, 10:48 AM

It depends. If they get injured or gain weight they could get slower. If they put on muscle they could get faster or slower, it just depends what muscle they put on.

bubbacoach
03-07-2006, 10:50 AM
I hate saying this, but I am going to have to agree with Seguin on this one. A true anything under a 4.5 is rare. The average high school football player runs a 5.2. When a kid is hand timed the result are often skewed, by the quickness of a finger. I know most place I have been two coaches time each athlete as he runs and often times there is up to a tenth and sometimes more difference between two watches timing the same kid at the same time. Also, many coaches will run a 40 the first time, and then shorten it by a yard the second time so the kids will see improvement. Anything below a true 4.5 is rare in High school.

bubbacoach
03-07-2006, 10:51 AM
It depends. If they get injured or gain weight they could get slower. If they put on muscle they could get faster or slower, it just depends what muscle they put on.
Don't you love all those real skinny guys running in the sprinting events in the Olympics. When you add muscle you will get faster as long as you maintain flexibility.

SeguinMatadors
03-07-2006, 10:53 AM
faster unless they are one of those people that lose speed when they gain muscle. some guys are like that but not many.

Okay, so we agree... going to college and physically pushing yourself like never before for 4 years during your developmental years will increase your speed. Add to that the 4 months coming up to the NFL combine athletes train theirselves to run the 40 yard dash.... so these guys have much improved speed.... these are the combine numbers from a couple of years ago....

http://espn.go.com/melkiper/s/2001/0307/1136944.html

3, count em', 3 running backs ran sub 4.3's.... with all of that extra training.... only 3... hmmmm... only 3 ran 4.4's.... so that makes 6 running backs ran sub 4.5's in that entire combine... what does that tell me? A hs running back running a 4.4 isn't very likely at all.

CCBoy
03-07-2006, 10:55 AM

Seguin, the reason highschools have kids running those times compared to NFL is because there is a larger player base. 1000's of highschool teams compared to 32 NFL teams. I hope you don't think because someone run a 4.3 that they will go to the NFL. That's looking at it as logically as it gets. The NFL doesn't give automatic bids to those who run fast. I don't think anyone feels that players get slower from HS to the pro's, but many of those players that run those times can't do the other things neccessay to be pro status.

SeguinMatadors
03-07-2006, 10:56 AM
I hate saying this, but I am going to have to agree with Seguin on this one. A true anything under a 4.5 is rare. The average high school football player runs a 5.2. When a kid is hand timed the result are often skewed, by the quickness of a finger. I know most place I have been two coaches time eacha thlete as he runs and often times there is up to a tenth and sometimes more difference between two watches timing the same kid at the same time. Also, many coaches will run a 40 the first time, and then shorten it by a yard the second time so the kids will see improvement. Anything below a true 4.5 is rare in High school.

Ah, another voice of reason. Well said. I am rubbin off on you.;)

bubbacoach
We had a guy at Seguin that ran a "4.26" named Brandon Loehr I think that was who it was. But it was hand held and I even being his coach never believed it.

bubbacoach
Ah, another voice of reason. Well said. I am rubbin off on you.;)
That is what that rash is.

SeguinMatadors
03-07-2006, 10:58 AM
Seguin, the reason highschools have kids running those times compared to NFL is because there is a larger player base. 1000's of highschool teams compared to 32 NFL teams. I hope you don't think because someone run a 4.3 that they will go to the NFL. That's looking at it as logically as it gets. The NFL doesn't give automatic bids to those who run fast. I don't think anyone feels that players get slower from HS to the pro's, but many of those players that run those times can't do the other things neccessay to be pro status.

I don't think just becuase you are fast you are going to go to the NFL... it does help but it isn't going to get you there. I am just using NFL athletes as an example because they are world class. Fact is, I am just trying to say sub 4.5 40's are very rare and Kyle Fox didn't run one. And there CERTAINLY isn't two kids at SV running 4.2's.

SeguinMatadors
03-07-2006, 10:59 AM
We had a guy at Seguin that ran a "4.26" named Brandon Loehr I think that was who it was. But it was hand held and I even being his coach never believed it.

We had a guy, Micheal Watson, who ran a 4.3... no way and hell he did because James Henry pulled away from him in the open field... lol... I had em over to my house and showed him the tape... I told him Henry must run a 4.1.:rolleyes:

CKE
03-07-2006, 11:01 AM
Okay, so we agree... going to college and physically pushing yourself like never before for 4 years during your developmental years will increase your speed. Add to that the 4 months coming up to the NFL combine athletes train theirselves to run the 40 yard dash.... so these guys have much improved speed.... these are the combine numbers from a couple of years ago....

http://espn.go.com/melkiper/s/2001/0307/1136944.html

3, count em', 3 running backs ran sub 4.3's.... with all of that extra training.... only 3... hmmmm... only 3 ran 4.4's.... so that makes 6 running backs ran sub 4.5's in that entire combine... what does that tell me? A hs running back running a 4.4 isn't very likely at all.

now i agree that college players blow hs speed out of the water but then again there are tons of college players. but when you get into NFL yes i think that there are a ton of 18 year old kids faster than them. it takes a lot more to be a NFL running back than just speed you know that. in high school you are either big or fast not both. the ones who are both end up in the NFL

bubbacoach
03-07-2006, 11:02 AM
We had a guy, Micheal Watson, who ran a 4.3... no way and hell he did because James Henry pulled away from him in the open field... lol... I had em over to my house and showed him the tape... I told him Henry must run a 4.1.:rolleyes:
Is it Brandon that holds the school record?
You got to remember If player a weighs 125 lbs, benches 175, squats 225, and cleans 200 and runs a 4.7 without pads on. And Player B weighs 225 benches 325, squats 400, and cleans 250 and runs a 4.7 without pads on. Who is faster more than likely with pads on? And when is the last time you saw a player run the 40 yard dash in a game?

Slim-Rob
03-07-2006, 11:04 AM
I don't think just becuase you are fast you are going to go to the NFL... it does help but it isn't going to get you there. I am just using NFL athletes as an example because they are world class. Fact is, I am just trying to say sub 4.5 40's are very rare and Kyle Fox didn't run one. And there CERTAINLY isn't two kids at SV running 4.2's.

How do you know Kyle Fox did not run a sub 4.5? Were you there to time him on the track? Didn't think so. How can you sit at your computer and say for SURE that he didn't. He may not have, but there are kids who have track speed better than a 4.5.

bubbacoach
now i agree that college players blow hs speed out of the water but then again there are tons of college players. but when you get into NFL yes i think that there are a ton of 18 year old kids faster than them. it takes a lot more to be a NFL running back than just speed you know that. in high school you are either big or fast not both. the ones who are both end up in the NFL
Sometimes.

CKE

i dont see how you could argue with facts seguin if one of them ran a 4.27 at UT and then a 4.28 at the all-american combine and then went to play in it :confused:

bubbacoach
How do you know Kyle Fox did not run a sub 4.5? Were you there to time him on the track? Didn't think so. How can you sit at your computer and say for SURE that he didn't. He may not have, but there are kids who have track speed better than a 4.5.
I was there.

SeguinMatadors
03-07-2006, 11:05 AM
Fox was not exceptionally fast, but he had great hips and vision and good quickness. Track speed and football speed often have very little correlation.

Exactly.

SeguinMatadors
03-07-2006, 11:06 AM
I was there.

Well there you go Rocket... Bubba was there. I didn't have to be there... I am just being logical.

CKE
03-07-2006, 11:07 AM
I was there.

and did he not run a 4.5

bubbacoach
03-07-2006, 11:08 AM
and did he not run a 4.5
It was somewhere in that area, but it was hand timed.

SeguinMatadors
Is it Brandon that holds the school record?
You got to remember If player a weighs 125 lbs, benches 175, squats 225, and cleans 200 and runs a 4.7 without pads on. And Player B weighs 225 benches 325, squats 400, and cleans 250 and runs a 4.7 without pads on. Who is faster more than likely with pads on? And when is the last time you saw a player run the 40 yard dash in a game?

I see your point but Wattz was a good athlete... he was 5'11 and built like an ox... it wasn't a matter of him not being able to carry his pads... James was just much faster with or without pads.

CKE
Well there you go Rocket... Bubba was there. I didn't have to be there... I am just being logical.

im sorry to argue with you about this seguin but its just hard for me to watch my 16 year old litle brother run sub 4.5 and not think an 18 year old can d the same or better

SeguinMatadors
03-07-2006, 11:09 AM
i dont see how you could argue with facts seguin if one of them ran a 4.27 at UT and then a 4.28 at the all-american combine and then went to play in it :confused:

Obviously the method in which they were timing them were vastly flawed.

CKE
03-07-2006, 11:10 AM
It was somewhere in that area, but it was hand timed.

so since it was hand timed did it not count to college coaches

SeguinMatadors
03-07-2006, 11:10 AM
im sorry to argue with you about this seguin but its just hard for me to watch my 16 year old litle brother run sub 4.5 and not think an 18 year old can d the same or better

No biggie.... nothing to argue about... just a difference in opinions.

bubbacoach
03-07-2006, 11:11 AM
Another factor is wind if you are outside. If you have a 20 MPH wind at your back you will run faster thatn if you have no wind or a slight wind in your face.

Slim-Rob
03-07-2006, 11:12 AM
I was there.

I was talking to seguin. He has no facts yet he is saying it is not possible. Kyle may not have run a sub 4.5, but there are players at Judson that can. Hand timed, yes, but what other way are you going to. If we want to get real precise we could all go out and buy some electronic timers, but do you really think every school can afford those?

CKE
Obviously the method in which they were timing them were vastly flawed.

thats weird that the #1 team in the nation and a combine that is very strict on who gets to play in the game both have a flawed method of timing 40s

bubbacoach
so since it was hand timed did it not count to college coaches
All coaches know what they know about hand timed anything. But if he ran a 4.5 forty hand timed and looked at his tape. They knew he had good football speed.

CKE
03-07-2006, 11:13 AM
No biggie.... nothing to argue about... just a difference in opinions.

sweet :D

Slim-Rob
03-07-2006, 11:13 AM
How are people timed at the NFL combine?

SeguinMatadors
03-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Another factor is wind if you are outside. If you have a 20 MPH wind at your back you will run faster thatn if you have no wind or a slight wind in your face.

Players with good advisers are advised to only run under ideal situations. They are told to not run on bad surface, into wind, when they are sore or not feeling well.... fact is, to scouts, you are what the numbers say and you can't have a bad day jepordize your stock.

bubbacoach
03-07-2006, 11:14 AM
I was talking to seguin. He has no facts yet he is saying it is not possible. Kyle may not have run a sub 4.5, but there are players at Judson that can. Hand timed, yes, but what other way are you going to. If we want to get real precise we could all go out and buy some electronic timers, but do you really think every school can afford those?
No as I stated before High Schools do not have electronic timing devices. Randez James could run a sub 4.5.

SeguinMatadors
03-07-2006, 11:15 AM

Exactly my point from the begining... teams don't have the proper equipment and all of these numbers are flawed and usually very very very flattering.

Slim-Rob
03-07-2006, 11:16 AM
No as I stated before High Schools do not have electronic timing devices. Randez James could run a sub 4.5.

Yes he can. On the track. I'm not sure he can run very fast on the field.

And who said they take some distance off the 40 the second time so its faster?

bubbacoach
03-07-2006, 11:17 AM
Yes he can. On the track. I'm not sure he can run very fast on the field.

And who said they take some distance off the 40 the second time so its faster?
Been there, seen that. Randez showed his speed on the fumble return against Westfield

SeguinMatadors
03-07-2006, 11:19 AM
How are people timed at the NFL combine?

Over 300.

CKE
03-07-2006, 11:25 AM
Over 300.

no seguin what is the method they use to time these 300 people is what he ment i think

SeguinMatadors
03-07-2006, 11:27 AM
no seguin what is the method they use to time these 300 people is what he ment i think

Oh, gotcha... I thought it said "How many".. I don't know how to explain it... do you guys have the "NFL network"?

CCBoy
03-07-2006, 11:42 AM
Oh, gotcha... I thought it said "How many".. I don't know how to explain it... do you guys have the "NFL network"?
Some districts have the accu-track timing devise, and it is accessible to the coaches. Not all coaches use hand held in highschools.

South Texas
03-07-2006, 11:47 AM
Players with good advisers are advised to only run under ideal situations. They are told to not run on bad surface, into wind, when they are sore or not feeling well.... fact is, to scouts, you are what the numbers say and you can't have a bad day jepordize your stock.
That is why the state do not count records in track if the wind is aiding the thrower

slorch
03-07-2006, 07:44 PM
I agree, ever heard of a little slow guy named Emmit?

stangsalltheway
03-07-2006, 07:58 PM
I've got some numbers from Grapevine Highschool.....
Sopmoreswill be juniors during 06 season
Kale Gelles:6foot, 185lbs 4.51 "40" 4.3 shuttle, squats 415 benchs 250, playing outside LB
Scott Hughes:5foot 9in. 150 lbs. 4.54 "40", broke school record w/ a 4.03 shuttle(one coach clocked it at 3.96), squats 385, bench=230, plays corner
Bruce Whitlock:6foot 185lbs. 40=4.54, shuttle=4.3, squat=400, bench=240

Juniors: will be seniors during 06 season
David Baughman: 6'1" 245, plays d-line, "40" 4.8, shuttle=4.5, squat=550, bench=285
Michael Noel:5'9 175 plays inside LB, "40"=4.6, shuttle=4.3, squat=555, bench=270

Slim-Rob
03-07-2006, 08:33 PM
Been there, seen that. Randez showed his speed on the fumble return against Westfield

Rendez didn't return a fumble against Westfield. He returned one against Euless Trinity, Haynes returned it against Westfield...

ALSO- Isn't the NFL combine run on TURF? That would explain how high school kids can be even close.

Oldlynx
03-07-2006, 09:41 PM
From the NFL Combine on 2/26...

Running backs - 40-yard dash
Jerious Norwood Mississippi St. 4.40
Leon Washington Florida St. 4.42
Wendell Mathis Fresno St. 4.51
Derrick Ross Texas Tech 4.52
Cory Ross Nebraska 4.53

Wide Receivers -
Chad Jackson Florida 4.32
Devin Aromashodu Auburn 4.35
Derek Hagan Arizona St. 4.42
Skyler Green LSU 4.44
Will Blackmon Boston Col 4.46
Miles Austin Monmouth 4.47
Willie Reid Florida St. 4.34
Sinorice Moss Miami FL 4.38
Jeff Webb San Diego St 4.40
Todd Watkins BYU 4.40
Jonathon Orr Wisconsin 4.41
Adam Jennings W. Michigan 4.42
Ben Obomanu Auburn 4.45

LeanderLions3033
03-07-2006, 10:06 PM
I was live in person at the Senior Bowl. Skylar Green of LSU was one of the faster people i've seen in person. Dont even sit there and try and tell me that Donald Buckram or some SV corner can run a 4.3. These people are faster then EVERYBODY at the NFL combine. Deangelo Hall won the 40 skills competition at the pro bowl (if anybody saw that on ESPN) racing against the fastest guys in theh pro bowl, and he ran a 4.29. Their is no difference between a 4.29 and a 4.3. Are you gonna sit there and tell me that average fast joe that probably runs a pretty decent 4.45 can get out there and win, or even finish in the top 3 i na competition like this. At the NFL combine you are electronically timed, same with the Nike Combine. These are clearly the most accurate timed 40's. Its not just some John Doe with a stop watch in his hand trying to tell me exactly from 1st movement that he crossed this line in this amount of time just by using his thumb. This year the fastest recorded time at the Nike Combine in Fort Worth was around a low 4.4's (i had the exact number i thought but i'm not gonna go look it back up in this thread) but nobody even cracked sub 4.4. I guess i can see the difference of opinion, but to me, there is no handtimed 40 that is perfectly accurate. Think about how uncommon it would be to simply just get a tenth of a second off with the thumb. Curenski Gilleylend of Leander won regionals and finished 3rd in Area for the 100 and he was electronically timed at a 4.51.

CKE
03-08-2006, 12:47 AM
I was live in person at the Senior Bowl. Skylar Green of LSU was one of the faster people i've seen in person. Dont even sit there and try and tell me that Donald Buckram or some SV corner can run a 4.3. These people are faster then EVERYBODY at the NFL combine. Deangelo Hall won the 40 skills competition at the pro bowl (if anybody saw that on ESPN) racing against the fastest guys in theh pro bowl, and he ran a 4.29. Their is no difference between a 4.29 and a 4.3. Are you gonna sit there and tell me that average fast joe that probably runs a pretty decent 4.45 can get out there and win, or even finish in the top 3 i na competition like this. At the NFL combine you are electronically timed, same with the Nike Combine. These are clearly the most accurate timed 40's. Its not just some John Doe with a stop watch in his hand trying to tell me exactly from 1st movement that he crossed this line in this amount of time just by using his thumb. This year the fastest recorded time at the Nike Combine in Fort Worth was around a low 4.4's (i had the exact number i thought but i'm not gonna go look it back up in this thread) but nobody even cracked sub 4.4. I guess i can see the difference of opinion, but to me, there is no handtimed 40 that is perfectly accurate. Think about how uncommon it would be to simply just get a tenth of a second off with the thumb. Curenski Gilleylend of Leander won regionals and finished 3rd in Area for the 100 and he was electronically timed at a 4.51.

Im not going to try and tell you a SV wide receiver (not corner) ran a 4.27 I am going to tell you that the university of texas yes the same one with the #1 recruting class in the nation and the all american combine both use a electronically timed method and its hard to argue with facts. and the whole 4.51 in the 40 and 100 meter dash is dumb. I ran a 4.47 (electronically timed) in high school and would get killed in the hundred meter dash its a whole dif. race.

YuccaRoot
03-08-2006, 05:32 AM
The late Johnny "Lam" Jones (former UT and NY Jets WR) was faster than most NFL players in high school (Lampasas H.S.). He won an Olympic Gold Medal (4X100 relay) before he entered UT as a football player.

I watched Donald Buckram twice last year (A&M Consol and Lufkin) and he has to be one of the fastest RBs that I've seen in a long time. Consols defense was able to contain him with an exceptionally quick and fast defense; however, he broke a long run v. Lufkin and their secondary looked like it was in slow motion compared to him.

Most high school 40s and hts tend to be marginally fudged upwardly; NFL tends to measure very conservatively as they can't afford to make a mistake. I was listed at 6-0 in college...when NFL teams measured me, I was 5' 10.75". I was not even a blip on their radar screen....back in the late 70s NFL teams measured every healthy athlete on a college campus with a football uniform.

CCBoy
03-08-2006, 07:54 AM
Many of us fail to believe that highschool kids run just as fast of a 40 time than what an NFL player does. If you have kids in HS bypassing college track to train for the Olympics then you can bet your best bet that a lot of the football/track guys that aren't Olympic fast can still run very low 40 times. Only a few of you guys will remember Roy Martin (Robot) for Dallas Roosevelt and a few more might remember Henry Neal for Greenville. Both of these guys played football and both were considered for the Olympics in track right out of highschool. Why? Because they ran 9.9's and 10.00 on the regular in the 100 meters in qualifying meets with electronic readers. Far more faster than what the fastest NFL player could run. Neither of these guys were good enough on the football field to play on a higher level. Don't under estimate these kids. Many numbers are exaggerated, but a lot aren't.

SeguinMatadors
03-08-2006, 08:41 AM
I just find it very interesting that all of these great football players run 4.3's in HS and 4.5's at the combine. For instance, Kevin Jones, of the Detroit Lions, supposedly ran a 4.2 in HS and ran a 4.6 at the NFL combine.

SeguinMatadors
03-08-2006, 08:49 AM
Many of us fail to believe that highschool kids run just as fast of a 40 time than what an NFL player does. If you have kids in HS bypassing college track to train for the Olympics then you can bet your best bet that a lot of the football/track guys that aren't Olympic fast can still run very low 40 times. Only a few of you guys will remember Roy Martin (Robot) for Dallas Roosevelt and a few more might remember Henry Neal for Greenville. Both of these guys played football and both were considered for the Olympics in track right out of highschool. Why? Because they ran 9.9's and 10.00 on the regular in the 100 meters in qualifying meets with electronic readers. Far more faster than what the fastest NFL player could run. Neither of these guys were good enough on the football field to play on a higher level. Don't under estimate these kids. Many numbers are exaggerated, but a lot aren't.

So what you are telling me is you believe that there are all these HS football players who run 4.3's. Why are these hundreds (hell, more guys claim to run it than 100's but I will round way down) of guys never good enough to make the NFL or at least get invited to the combibne?:confused: Sounds stupid to me.

CCBoy
03-08-2006, 09:09 AM
So what you are telling me is you believe that there are all these HS football players who run 4.3's. Why are these hundreds (hell, more guys claim to run it than 100's but I will round way down) of guys never good enough to make the NFL or at least get invited to the combibne?:confused: Sounds stupid to me.
I've explained it over and over that speed alone doesn't give you a combine invitation or an NFL career. I also explained that not all that say they run 4.3's or 4.4's don't actually run them, but some highschool kids do. The numbers are exaggerated, but these HS speedsters do exist.

SeguinMatadors
03-08-2006, 09:39 AM
I've explained it over and over that speed alone doesn't give you a combine invitation or an NFL career. I also explained that not all that say they run 4.3's or 4.4's don't actually run them, but some highschool kids do. The numbers are exaggerated, but these HS speedsters do exist.

Speed alone doesn't get you an invite to the NFL but it sure as hell does help and it is a major factor considered.... yet still there aren't many guys running that low.

Okay then, you agree with what I have been saying since the begining... that a kid running that low in HS is very rare.

bubbacoach
03-08-2006, 09:48 AM
Yesterday we ran our 40's
We had 46 kids go sub 5.0
We had nine kids go sub 4.5
We had one go 4.39

SeguinMatadors
03-08-2006, 09:51 AM
Yesterday we ran our 40's
We had 46 kids go sub 5.0
We had nine kids go sub 4.5
We had one go 4.39

Boo!

bubbacoach
03-08-2006, 09:52 AM
Boo Who?

SeguinMatadors
03-08-2006, 09:52 AM
Boo Who?

Boo I want to know what player in San Antonio is running a 4.3.

bubbacoach
03-08-2006, 09:53 AM
But then you would know where I am at. Get this he is a true Freshmen.:rolleyes:

SeguinMatadors
03-08-2006, 09:56 AM
But then you would know where I am at. Get this he is a true Freshmen.:rolleyes:

lol! There is no way in hell... you coaches must have had a mighty quick finger. If he is really running a 4.3 as a true freshman, you really need to tell me who he is so I can get with him... get him on a solid workout plan and nutrition plan... work on his football skills so he can max on his potential... and eventually be his agent when I get him picked number one overall in the draft.

I gotta' start early!

bubbacoach
03-08-2006, 09:57 AM
lol! There is no way in hell... you coaches must have had a mighty quick finger. If he is really running a 4.3 as a true freshman, you really need to tell me who he is so I can get with him... get him on a solid workout plan and nutrition plan... work on his football skills so he can max on his potential... and eventually be his agent when I get him picked number one overall in the draft.

I gotta' start early!
He will start at corner for us next year. You will see his name in the paper in track. You have to remember where I stand on this. Do I think he runs a true 4.39? No. Is he fast? Very. I would bet on a accu track he would go in the mid to low 4.4's.

SeguinMatadors
03-08-2006, 10:01 AM
He will start at corner for us next year. You will see his name in the paper in track. You have to remember where I stand on this. Do I think he runs a true 4.39? No. Is he fast? Very. I would bet on a accu track he would go in the mid to low 4.4's.

Geez coach, where is the open competition?:confused:

I say 4.5 but if he is that good of an athlete... you guys better keep him in line... I see too much talent waisted by athletes who fall out of line.

bubbacoach
03-08-2006, 10:04 AM
Geez coach, where is the open competition?:confused:

I say 4.5 but if he is that good of an athlete... you guys better keep him in line... I see too much talent waisted by athletes who fall out of line.
wasted..... He is that good of an athlete. How could he not start at corner, his only competition only ran a 4.46.

SeguinMatadors
03-08-2006, 10:06 AM
wasted..... He is that good of an athlete. How could he not start at corner, his only competition only ran a 4.46.

I don't know... maybe because coaches are supposed to hold true to the theory that everyone has a shot as long as they work hard over the summer?:confused:

bubbacoach
03-08-2006, 10:08 AM
I don't know... maybe because coaches are supposed to hold true to the theory that everyone has a shot as long as they work hard over the summer?:confused:
With Spring Ball, you have to narrow it down to who your players are early, to get them the majority of reps in the Spring.

SeguinMatadors
03-08-2006, 10:09 AM
With Spring Ball, you have to narrow it down to who your players are early, to get them the majority of reps in the Spring.

I get that. I am just messing around, I know coaches make decisions about the roster far before they let on... they like to play the whole whoever works the hardest will start card when that simply isn't the truth.

bubbacoach
03-08-2006, 10:12 AM
I get that. I am just messing around, I know coaches make decisions about the roster far before they let on... they like to play the whole whoever works the hardest will start card when that simply isn't the truth.
It does happen, where a kid will bust his A$$ over the summer, while the guy he is competing with sits around. And a paper starter is bumped, but you don't know if that will happen.

SeguinMatadors
03-08-2006, 10:24 AM
It does happen, where a kid will bust his A$$ over the summer, while the guy he is competing with sits around. And a paper starter is bumped, but you don't know if that will happen.

Certainly. It also happens that one player works way harder than another player but the player who didn't work was just one of them great athletes that had no chance at losing his spot. I think most coaches find spots on the team for hard workers, though. One guy I knew didn't work out all summer but his bench max went up 35 lbs... pisses me off.

thewoods06
03-09-2006, 09:20 AM

bullll i saw that kid at a powerlifting meet and he was talking about how he could bench 400 and he missed 315.. and im pretty sure hes not 6 .4

CKE
03-09-2006, 10:16 AM
bullll i saw that kid at a powerlifting meet and he was talking about how he could bench 400 and he missed 315.. and im pretty sure hes not 6 .4

heres a cool idea dont go to every thread trying to pick a fight with someone from conroe..............anyway back on topic now

forest99
03-09-2006, 10:24 AM
thank you coolest kid ever....and the woods06, i dont write stuff on here that isnt true, i have seen him bench 400, in fact it was just three days ago....so trust me, if what you say is true, it definately wasnt who i am talking about..

pack0808
03-09-2006, 10:28 AM
From the NFL Combine on 2/26...

Running backs - 40-yard dash
Jerious Norwood Mississippi St. 4.40
Leon Washington Florida St. 4.42
Wendell Mathis Fresno St. 4.51
Derrick Ross Texas Tech 4.52
Cory Ross Nebraska 4.53

Wide Receivers -
Chad Jackson Florida 4.32
Devin Aromashodu Auburn 4.35
Derek Hagan Arizona St. 4.42
Skyler Green LSU 4.44
Will Blackmon Boston Col 4.46
Miles Austin Monmouth 4.47
Willie Reid Florida St. 4.34
Sinorice Moss Miami FL 4.38
Jeff Webb San Diego St 4.40
Todd Watkins BYU 4.40
Jonathon Orr Wisconsin 4.41
Adam Jennings W. Michigan 4.42
Ben Obomanu Auburn 4.45

I believe Reggie Mcneal had the 2nd fastest time and he is a qb. :eek: Pretty sure he ran a 4.34 or a 4.35? I think he tied for 2nd overall at 4.35?

Slim-Rob
03-09-2006, 11:10 AM
I just find it very interesting that all of these great football players run 4.3's in HS and 4.5's at the combine. For instance, Kevin Jones, of the Detroit Lions, supposedly ran a 4.2 in HS and ran a 4.6 at the NFL combine.

In high school you are timed on a track. At the NFL combine you are timed on TURF. It's different. PERIOD

SeguinMatadors
03-09-2006, 11:12 AM
In high school you are timed on a track. At the NFL combine you are timed on TURF. It's different. PERIOD

Have you seen the turf? According to the anaylist doing the NFL combine it is the closest thing turf wise as their is to a track. PERIOD.

CKE
03-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Have you seen the turf? According to the anaylist doing the NFL combine it is the closest thing turf wise as their is to a track. PERIOD.

I think you both need to get off yalls PERIOD

SeguinMatadors
03-09-2006, 11:26 AM

lmfao

Gridiron Gopher
03-09-2006, 12:58 PM

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!:D

YuccaRoot
03-09-2006, 07:07 PM
A&M Consol has 4 very athletic senior LBs/standup DE types returning for '06:

WLB:
Bench: 325 - offseason testing
Squat: 505 - powerlifting meet with 3 judges
Deadlift: 560 - powerlifting meet with 3 judges
40: 4.58 (Track)
Vertical: 32.5" - football camp

MLB/DE
Bench: 275 offseason testing
Squat: 500 - powerlifting meet with 3 judges
Deadlift: 570 - powerlifting meet with 3 judges
40: 4.41 (Track)
Vertical: 36" - football camp

SLB:
Bench: 350 offseason testing
Squat: 470 - powerlifting meet with 3 judges
Deadlift: 490 - powerlifting meet with 3 judges
40: 4.52 (Track)
Vertical: 34.5" - football camp

Standup DE/MLB:
Don't know his stats...but an exceptional football player with explosive pop.

Consol's Strength and Conditioning Coach (also Consol's Offensive Coordinator), Steve Huff, is one of the best in Texas (if not the nation) when it comes to maximizing strength and athleticism...he doesn't develop a bunch of players that can just lift heavy weights, but develops players that run well and have explosive athletic quickness.