PDA

View Full Version : Loaded Fronts vs. Pro Offense

KT2000
09-09-2010, 12:45 PM
How many of you have seen a defense in zero coverage lately? I saw it last week in the Katy-AT game. AT was packing 8/9 guys in the box with man coverage on the outside receivers and usually 1 center fielder back at safety, but even he was creeping up. AT actually lined up with no safeties a few times.

I see more and more teams going to this smothering tactic against the pro offense to outnumber versus the run and not allow time for the other nuances to develop with playaction, etc.

It is usually pretty effective for a bit, but the offense has overcome it both times by staying patient and waiting for cracks.

I would imagine it is a pretty unique sight to find a zero coverage anywhere today due the fact there are so many spread teams.

The King
09-10-2010, 12:27 PM
With a Good (fast) TE and a mobile pocket you could really burn this defensive strategy. However, in the game you mentioned the team that did this gave up 45 points:saber: Not quiet the outcome you want to see when you try it.

As Athletic as AT was I think they would have been better offswitching the defensive fronts up more often and taking advantage of the fact that they were playing a team that still runs a huddle.

Austin109
09-11-2010, 02:02 PM
A couple of quick screens/flats to a FB or TE could wreak havoc on this defense. All it takes is one mistake by a DB and a team could take it to the house. Like king said- AT did give up 45 points running this.