PDA

View Full Version : The Independent Republic of Texas

Pages : 1 [2]

dragons08
03-02-2006, 10:57 PM
That, and the advances in submarines. The U-Boats took an incredible toll in WWII, and it is nothing to what would happen with modern submarine techology. They are quiet, can stay under for ages, and don't have to surface to fire. Aircraft carriers are sitting ducks for subs.
what was that boat invented during the revo war? it was like the first steal sub/boat type thing..i think the union made it

dragons08
03-02-2006, 10:57 PM
100 years ago Battleships were the most important ships in navies, 50 years ago aircraft carries took that title, and now subs are in the lead. I wonder what new thing will be the nest ship in 50 more years?
a ship that doesnt need people..basically where you can shoot a missle from land and control it underwater (like a torpedo)

CLFalcon2006
03-02-2006, 10:58 PM
which military branch, does the most? is the most useful...i know their all important, but doesnt hte marines be the first ones in, last ones out?

Marines do alot of damage and are the best fighters in the world. I would still have to say the army. It is and always has been and probably always will be the most important. They do a little of everything and wars can only be won if you take and hold territory, something the other branches can't do by themselves.

Firebird
03-02-2006, 10:58 PM
I think you are thinking of the "Turtle" during the revolutionary war. It was a man-powered, wooden hulled submersible that tried and failed to attach a bomb to a British war ship.

dragons08
03-02-2006, 11:00 PM
I think you are thinking of the "Turtle" during the revolutionary war. It was a man-powered, wooden hulled submersible that tried and failed to attach a bomb to a British war ship.
hmm, i just remember hte picture of it from a text book..it look like a sub, and was steal

CLFalcon2006
03-02-2006, 11:02 PM
what was that boat invented during the revo war? it was like the first steal sub/boat type thing..i think the union made it

The rev. war had a wooden shallow water sub called the turtle used by the us against the british fleet. It was meant to take underwater mines and attach them to the hulls of british ships. It worked for a while but it just wasn't efficent and only had 1 or 2 succesful missions.

The steal bots the union made is the monitor, thats civil war. I don't think they were the first ironclads in the world but i do believe they were the first in the us and the first to engage each other directly. Marked the begining of the end of wooden ships. 50 years later metal battleships were the standard, so theres something thats 50 years before battleships.

CLFalcon2006
03-02-2006, 11:02 PM

thats the one.

Firebird
03-02-2006, 11:03 PM
You might also be thinking of the Confederate "Hunley", which was during the civil war, was steam powered, and was the first submersible to actually succeed in SINKING an enemy ship. It later sank and was excavated not to long ago.

The Civil War provides us with some fascinating naval history. The famous battle between the USS Monitor and CSS Merrimack was the first battle between two armoured vessels.

Firebird
03-02-2006, 11:04 PM
You know your stuff, CLFalcon.

dragons08
03-02-2006, 11:04 PM
The rev. war had a wooden shallow water sub called the turtle used by the us against the british fleet. It was meant to take underwater mines and attach them to the hulls of british ships. It worked for a while but it just wasn't efficent and only had 1 or 2 succesful missions.

The steal bots the union made is the monitor, thats civil war. I don't think they were the first ironclads in the world but i do believe they were the first in the us and the first to engage each other directly. Marked the begining of the end of wooden ships. 50 years later metal battleships were the standard, so theres something thats 50 years before battleships.
i meant civil whoops!! yeah ironclad, i remember now! you know your stuff!

CLFalcon2006
03-02-2006, 11:08 PM
You know your stuff, CLFalcon.

History channel, war enthusist, and if theres one thing ccisd does right its hire history teachers that know there stuff.

dragons08
03-02-2006, 11:09 PM
History channel, war enthusist, and if theres one thing ccisd does right its hire history teachers that know there stuff.
obviously not english! :p

Slim-Rob
03-02-2006, 11:13 PM

you're one to talk:rolleyes:

Firebird
03-02-2006, 11:13 PM

Good to see that SOMEWHERE in the USA history is still being taught in school. It is a crime the way history and geography are taught in today's public schools. We are cranking out a generation wholly ignorant of the past and the present world around them.

CLFalcon2006
03-02-2006, 11:15 PM

I don't pay attention in english, for some reason all of my teachers since 7th grade have been feminist, females doggies that don't get along with me very much and always say i have an "attitude problem":D

On my progress report I had a 93 in my english class and my teacher wrote "doesn't understand material, needs tutorials"

Maybe the reason she doesnt like me is because after i got it i told her this "what you wrote on my progress report is teh biggest oxymoron i have ever witnessed" thus displaying my displeasure and my english skills:D

Firebird
03-03-2006, 12:52 AM
My time in Kyrgyzstan makes me view them as a second world country. They aren't poor across the board, but they lag far behind the U.S.

Absolutely correct in labeling Russia and the former republics "2nd world". It is interesting to note that originally the terms 1st-2nd-3rd world were coined not to describe relative prosperity or living standards, but rather forms of government and (especially) economic systems. Western analysts coined 1st World to represent Western style liberalism, democracy, and free markets, while the 2nd World denoted Soviet (and sometimes Chinese) style autocracy and centralized, planned economies. The term 3rd world was coined by thinkers in states such as India to communicate the idea of a "3rd way" between the extremes of the West and the Eastern Bloc. That way, apparantley, being crushing poverty and repressive dicatorship.

It was only after journalists and others in the west noted the correlation between the so-called "3rd way" and abject living conditions that "3rd World" came to carry its now-familiar meaning. In today's world, of course, 1st-2nd-3rd, is all terribly un-PC. We now call 3rd world states "developing" countries, regardless of whether they are, in fact, developing. In the worst cases, they are "failed states" (eg, Somalia). Most political scientists and economists classify Russia as a middle income country, however history and weaponry give Russia an outsized role on the world stage in relation to its economic status.

Lufkin_Class_Of_08
03-03-2006, 04:45 PM
lets get back to the lone star state...just so everyone knows...march 6th is the 170th anniversary of the fall of the alamo and on april 21 the 170th anniversary of the win at san jac...i hope the houston soccer team is in town april 21...that would be a good way to celebrate the day we actually solidified our independence...Happy late independence Day Ya'll;)

Slim-Rob
03-03-2006, 05:25 PM
lets get back to the lone star state...just so everyone knows...march 6th is the 170th anniversary of the fall of the alamo and on april 21 the 170th anniversary of the win at san jac...i hope the houston soccer team is in town april 21...that would be a good way to celebrate the day we actually solidified our independence...Happy late independence Day Ya'll;)

PARTY. on the site of course...

garlandowl08
03-04-2006, 12:10 AM
Well, if we're really going back to Texas, then I'll chime in. I am a 7th generation Texan, and my family (the Reeds) held the first protestant sermon in Texas in the 1830's and we have a picture of a monument of it. I think that is pretty cool. Also, if you think your family has a long history in Tejas, you can check http://www.srttexas.org/ to see if someone you know was in the Republic of Texas...I know I found my family in there! (we're on eof the Isaac Reeds...I think the Reverend one)

Miss Kitty
03-04-2006, 12:36 AM
Well, if we're really going back to Texas, then I'll chime in. I am a 7th generation Texan, and my family (the Reeds) held the first protestant sermon in Texas in the 1830's and we have a picture of a monument of it. I think that is pretty cool. Also, if you think your family has a long history in Tejas, you can check http://www.srttexas.org/ to see if someone you know was in the Republic of Texas...I know I found my family in there! (we're on eof the Isaac Reeds...I think the Reverend one)

Wow that is cool. Thanks for that.

ktCarl
03-04-2006, 09:07 AM
My Mom and Dad emigrated (legally) to Texas in 1954. That's how far back my Texas ancestry goes.