PDA

View Full Version : Old Is New: Tactical Trending

KT2000
07-07-2010, 01:05 PM
If last year's high school football season was any indication, it is safe to say the old is officially new again.

The evolution of the spread has claimed most of the last 10-15 years, but I think we may now be entering a time when we see some programs revert back to long lost ideas.

The timing is ripe when you consider most of today's kids were toddlers when option and power oriented offensive schemes reigned supreme. As a result, coaches have evolved along with the changes and we should start to see more programs revert back to forgotten tactics to gain an edge. We'll see this on both sides of the ball.

Abilene won the 5A championship last year using a single wing influenced offense and a radar defense that was a foreign concept for today's zone dominated lines.

I also saw the straight T formation resurrected last year.

At the college level, Georgia Tech has proven the triple option is still viable in a tactical sense with the right players.

We may not see entire schemes change, but I think there will at least be more wrinkles added given the surprise factor they can give teams in the tactical battle if nothing else.

TrojanHorse03
07-07-2010, 05:14 PM
If last year's high school football season was any indication, it is safe to say the old is officially new again.

The evolution of the spread has claimed most of the last 10-15 years, but I think we may now be entering a time when we see some programs revert back to long lost ideas.

The timing is ripe when you consider most of today's kids were toddlers when option and power oriented offensive schemes reigned supreme. As a result, coaches have evolved along with the changes and we should start to see more programs revert back to forgotten tactics to gain an edge. We'll see this on both sides of the ball.

Abilene won the 5A championship last year using a single wing influenced offense and a radar defense that was a foreign concept for today's zone dominated lines.

At the college level, Georgia Tech has proven the triple option is still viable in a tactical sense with the right players.

We may not see entire schemes change, but I think there will at least be more wrinkles added given the surprise factor they can give teams in the tactical battle if nothing else.

It's been a dream of mine for some time that Trinity would add Belevue's Wing T plays to what the already do.

Austin109
07-07-2010, 11:21 PM
It's been a dream of mine for some time that Trinity would add Belevue's Wing T plays to what the already do.

God I hope not. With the types of players yall have every year it would be unstoppable for the rest of us :P How you gonna stop a 300lb guard with a 220lb running back and a brandon carter on every play?!:Censor:

da hawaiian
07-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Great write up K2K.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jules_Yakapovich

I think what a masterful job of picking a scheme that suits your personel by coaches at Abilene. If you don't have the bigs to line up nose up in a 0 or 3 tech, then why not put them in a 2 pt stance. One - their view of the field is improved, two - their ability to go small and avoid an easy base block by a Big is also improved. There's always the concern of giving up ground against a power play but with so many teams lined up in a spread and wide splits, the benefits begin to increase in my mind.

I played against several schools in Oregon that used the Radar, one of the traits I remember most was these defenses were always in motion, I mean twists, slants, back then we didn't know what a zone scheme was, it was all man blocking back then, our only response was to go shoulder to shoulder and wedge block and take the 3 yards or more we could usually guarantee until we could get them out of it.

The King
07-08-2010, 11:21 AM

you ought to search out single wing playbooks on the internet. you will see that some of these teams "running from the spread" aren't really doing anything that has not been done

da hawaiian
07-08-2010, 12:03 PM
What's the similarity other than the use of the shotgun? I know there's an answer, I'm just too lazy to look it up.

KT2000
07-08-2010, 05:21 PM
What's the similarity other than the use of the shotgun? I know there's an answer, I'm just too lazy to look it up.

The similarity is that you have a runner taking the snap and can theoretically put any of the talented runners in your team back to take the snap. Abilene used Ronnell and Herschel.

I remember the direct snap to the RB got popular in the 90s with the teams who were lining up in the Gun. Teams have gone all the way with that in recent years with the Wildcat stuff.

I still haven't seen anybody at the high school level do it as good as Aledo did in their 1998 championship season. I don't know how long they continued with the scheme, but it is one of the only unique systems I've seen at this level. They were a predominantly running team from multiple shotgun formations.

The only other program I saw at the time that compared in terms of diversity was Stephenville.

The King
07-10-2010, 02:22 PM
www.coachteed.com

this site has some interesting stuff