PDA

View Full Version : Afghanistan???

5ASports
06-25-2010, 10:53 AM
The focus of the RS article has been the McChrystal drama, but it also provided some good information about our “COIN” counterinsurgency plan. We’re spending billions of dollars and American lives to win the hearts and minds of the Afghan people. I can’t stop asking why the heck do we give two shakes if we can get them to like us?

“Experts” seem to acknowledge that most terrorist groups have moved to Pakistan, so we should get everyone the heck out of there and just send McChrystal with a platoon to hunt down Bin Laden.

slcdragonfan
06-25-2010, 10:57 AM
The focus of the RS article has been the McChrystal drama, but it also provided some good information about our “COIN” counterinsurgency plan. We’re spending billions of dollars and American lives to win the hearts and minds of the Afghan people. I can’t stop asking why the heck do we give two shakes if we can get them to like us?

“Experts” seem to acknowledge that most terrorist groups have moved to Pakistan, so we should get everyone the heck out of there and just send McChrystal with a platoon to hunt down Bin Laden.

Yes. Following recent logic, we should invade Pakistan, not just send a platoon.

5ASports
06-25-2010, 11:05 AM
Yes. Following recent logic, we should invade Pakistan, not just send a platoon.
I’m not suggesting we invade Pakistan. Just don’t understand why we’re staying and investing (lives and money) in Afghanistan. We should pull everyone and everything out of there, and send a mountain / gorilla unit to hunt for Osama.

slcdragonfan
06-25-2010, 11:20 AM
I’m not suggesting we invade Pakistan. Just don’t understand why we’re staying and investing (lives and money) in Afghanistan. We should pull everyone and everything out of there, and send a mountain / gorilla unit to hunt for Osama.

Why not?
It is in keeping with the same reasons we invaded Iraq and Afghanistan. In fact, Pakistan is known to have WMD. We must follow the beast wherever he goes and root him out. Ally be damned.

5ASports
06-25-2010, 11:32 AM
Why not?
It is in keeping with the same reasons we invaded Iraq and Afghanistan. In fact, Pakistan is known to have WMD. We must follow the beast wherever he goes and root him out. Ally be damned.
Because WMDs in the hands of an Ally are very different from WMDs in hostile hands. It seems overtly ridiculous to me that we are spending billions and sending tens of thousands of troops after dramatically smaller pockets of insurgents. This seems like an ideal application for special ops on precision missions.

slcdragonfan
06-25-2010, 11:37 AM
Because WMDs in the hands of an Ally are very different from WMDs in hostile hands. It seems overtly ridiculous to me that we are spending billions and sending tens of thousands of troops after dramatically smaller pockets of insurgents. This seems like an ideal application for special ops on precision missions.

But Pakistan scientists have provided nuclear technology, etc to terrorist states. And ally be damned, they are housing Osama. We have invaded on less information that that.

Honestly. I am just poking a stick. If I was a terrorist though, I would hide in an American Ally country.

5ASports
06-25-2010, 11:44 AM
But Pakistan scientists have provided nuclear technology, etc to terrorist states. And ally be damned, they are housing Osama. We have invaded on less information that that.

Honestly. I am just poking a stick. If I was a terrorist though, I would hide in an American Ally country.
I agree, in fact the USA would be a first choice residence followed closely by Mexico.