PDA

View Full Version : 1988 Dallas Carter Cowboy's Video

supercentex
07-04-2005, 11:00 AM
This is a really good doc on them.

http://www.insidehighschoolfootball.com/carter.htm

supercentex
07-04-2005, 11:57 AM
opps...i had to edit it. If you watch it already...you might want to click again........to see the first part of the doc

NewSherriffInTown
07-05-2005, 12:36 AM
It bothered me because they said they were going to talk about the kids who went to jail, but they never did. They made them look like martyrs and kids who were wronged.

What a joke.

I know how much TALENT was on that team, but I don't know if I like them in the "best team of all time" conversations when they tied a game, and had a few close calls.

Being the farthest a Carter team had gone just shows the wasted talent in that school.

Personally, a "middle class black community" (everyone elses words not mine) should DOMINATE alot. Extremely athletic kids with tedency to have better discipline due to good family backgrounds, etc...Carter should be winning state titles ALOT.

RidgePride
07-05-2005, 12:52 AM
Who said Carter is Middle class - They mostly are lower income.

Duncanville which is close to Carter is more middle class.

Carter usually has a lot of talent but runs a one dimensional offense. They falter in the playoffs because of this

The Great Evaluator
07-05-2005, 12:04 PM
Actually, Gary Edwards and Keith Campbell spoke extensively in the video - both of whom went to jail. They were arrested for armed robbery of a video store - if you'll notice part of the doc has Gary Edwards talking about correspondence with fellow teammate Derric Evans about how they should have been playing in the Cotton Bowl (1990 Tennessee vs. Arkansas).

Fortunately for both of them they learned a valubale lesson and are now positive members of society.

NewSherriffInTown
07-05-2005, 02:20 PM
I know Edwards talked, but somehow I must've missed anything about the robberies.

As for who says Carter is middle-class, the Carter people do, and others do. I've never heard the Carter community called anything BUT middle class black.

The kids who did the robberies did not need money at all. They did it because they thought they were on top of the world.

Red Raiders
07-05-2005, 08:01 PM
What happen to Dallas Carter now? Are they being like Tyler John Tyler when they collapse in after 1994 winning state champion and after losing 2000 state championship. What happen to Carter though? moving somewhere else like some John Tyler players moving to Tyler Lee.

supercentex
07-05-2005, 08:20 PM
What happen to Dallas Carter now? Are they being like Tyler John Tyler when they collapse in after 1994 winning state champion and after losing 2000 state championship. What happen to Carter though? moving somewhere else like some John Tyler players moving to Tyler Lee.

Carter after Freddie James had about 5 different coaches (that is the reason for the unsuccessful seasons......almost year after year. One of them was fired for stealing money from the boosters.

Until Marvin Sedberry (from Greenville got to Carter now at Bryan High) the year before Coach Allen Wilson there was not even an off season program.

Sedberry started to get them rolling and then Allen Wilson took over.

All they needed was some coaching...they have always had the athletes.

jtk1519
07-05-2005, 08:53 PM
I have no problem calling that Carter team the most talented team to ever play Texas high school football, but I dont see them as being the best team. In time, we may be calling the '03 North Shore team the best and most talented team to ever play Texas high school football.

businesstron
07-05-2005, 11:08 PM
Duncanville is middle class Black, Cedar Hill is Middle Class Black, Desoto is middle Class Black....Carter is like....lower middle class black more or less. Carter has the talent but thier coaches more or less suck. They got some dude from Lufkin(I think) and they've been decent the last few years. They had a strech in the 90s when they couldn't win a 1st round playoff game(I think most of the Dallas Schools went through that). Lincoln almost took it all last year though. I don't know if y'll knew a Dallas ISD school hasn't won a state title in 50 sum years. The last school to win one was Sunset. I was kind of surprised when I read that.

KT2000
07-05-2005, 11:28 PM
Allen Wilson is the head coach at Carter, and he came from John Tyler (won state title in 94, played for another in 2000). So far, he is 33-4 at Carter in his three seasons in charge. Not bad. Say what you want about the competition, but the man is a proven winner at every level. He is one of the best coaches in in the state and has Carter playing at a high level again.

#15 Dallas Carter (http://www.5atexasfootball.com/05rank15.htm)

stevefoxsc
07-05-2005, 11:39 PM
yea they may not be winning states but they are still a good team and im sure that 88 team is better than anything lee could put even your 04 radiers :eek:

RidgePride
07-06-2005, 12:36 AM
Duncanville is middle class Black, Cedar Hill is Middle Class Black, Desoto is middle Class Black....Carter is like....lower middle class black more or less. Carter has the talent but thier coaches more or less suck. They got some dude from Lufkin(I think) and they've been decent the last few years. They had a strech in the 90s when they couldn't win a 1st round playoff game(I think most of the Dallas Schools went through that). Lincoln almost took it all last year though. I don't know if y'll knew a Dallas ISD school hasn't won a state title in 50 sum years. The last school to win one was Sunset. I was kind of surprised when I read that.

If Carter is lower middle class, I don't think there is a low economic class high school in Texas.

Oak Cliff is not known for its high economic status.

Texas Hammer
07-06-2005, 02:25 AM
Sunset won it in 1950 and the only other Dallas team was Oak Cliff in 1924.

farmerfan
07-06-2005, 02:42 AM
If Carter is lower middle class, I don't think there is a low economic class high school in Texas.

Oak Cliff is not known for its high economic status.

Compared to Madison, Adamson, Lincoln, Sunset, South Oak Cliff, A Maceo Smith, Roosevelt, Sammuel; Carter is a middle class school, that is close in proximity to the Oak Cliff country club, which is home to one of the nicest Golf Courses in Texas. Oak Cliff is run down when you go more to the southeast of Downtown, along the Kessler park region of Oak Cliff, it is still well kept and very nice and for years was home to some of the wealthiest people in Dallas.

StormingCowboy
07-06-2005, 08:07 AM
Compared to Madison, Adamson, Lincoln, Sunset, South Oak Cliff, A Maceo Smith, Roosevelt, Sammuel; Carter is a middle class school, that is close in proximity to the Oak Cliff country club, which is home to one of the nicest Golf Courses in Texas. Oak Cliff is run down when you go more to the southeast of Downtown, along the Kessler park region of Oak Cliff, it is still well kept and very nice and for years was home to some of the wealthiest people in Dallas.

Their are some lower middle class areas in Carter's district but it's not the majority, actually far from it. Many are speaking on perception. If you saw for yourself, you would probably be surprised how nice the neighborhoods are in Oak Cliff, especially near Cedar Crest area and SW Oak CLiff where Carter, Kimball, and South Oak CLiff's districts are.

TheDuke
07-06-2005, 09:23 AM
Still think that North Shore 02 or 03 was the best 5A team EVER!! They never had one close game!!

pack0808
07-06-2005, 09:26 AM
yea they may not be winning states but they are still a good team and im sure that 88 team is better than anything lee could put even your 04 radiers :eek:

hey stevefox, did you know that it took an amazing play at the end of the state quarterfinals or semi game?? for dallas carter to beat marshall from east texas in 1988?? the final score was 22-18. i saw that 88 carter team and they were one of the fastest and most athletic hs teams i have ever seen but they were not near as dominant as some think. they beat lufkin 31-7 in the 3rd round that year but they of course had to forfeit the game later. carter was very lucky to get by marshall though. ask anybody that saw that game.

here is marshall's schedule and results that year, that team was pretty dang good also. marshall beat permian that same year and barely beat lufkin after the panthers had a big lead.

Southwood Win 32-6 Home
Odessa Permian Win 13-12 Home
Kilgore Win 28-10 Away
Nacogdoches Win 24-7 Away
Lufkin Win 33-29
John Tyler Win 31-6 Away
Longview Win 28-0 Away Broke 19 year losing streak to Lobos
Tyler Lee Win 42-0 Home
Texas High Win 56-0 Away DISTRICT CHAMPIONS
Killeen Win 52-20 Texas Stadium
Huntsville Win 30-22 Texas Stadium
Garland Lk. Centenial Win 24-14 Floyd Casey-Baylor
Dallas Carter* loss 22-18 Floyd Casey Baylor Lost with less than 2 min left

*Carter was later forced to forfiet all wins including the 5A title.
Team Finished (12-1) OR (13-0) after UIL ruling.

StormingCowboy
07-06-2005, 10:07 AM
Consider this also....

The competition could've been better that year than others.

For example, this past year Southlake Carroll had work for their championship. Abilene, Lufkin, and SV game them fits, and yet they were the #1 team in the nation.

That year Carter, Odessa, and Marshall were all great at one time. Carter was the team that year that found a way to win as all great teams do.

pack0808
07-06-2005, 10:19 AM
i agree, remember northshore 03 did not have to play the best div2 teams because of the new playoff system and to win it back in carter's day in 88 you had to beat everybody because there was only 1 champion. i am not saying northshore 03 would have lost to teams like katy 03, slc 03, lufkin 03, allen 03, garland 03 etc etc but they could have had a couple of more close games if they met those guys in the playoffs. that sure makes a difference no doubt. that is why we all hate div1 and div2 right?? ;)

LoneRocket
07-06-2005, 10:20 AM
Who said Carter is Middle class - They mostly are lower income.

Duncanville which is close to Carter is more middle class.

Carter usually has a lot of talent but runs a one dimensional offense. They falter in the playoffs because of this

They were talking in 1988 terms (social class) before the population boom in the other cities that make up the Metroplex, not 2005. I also saw that Cowboy team play and they could run over some of today's teams. Their defense (the 11 man posse) was excellent.

biki1121
07-06-2005, 10:21 AM
Carter vs. Lufkin that year in the playoffs was a great game. Eric Curl gave Carter the fits running off the edge. A lot of talented teams lately. GP comes to mind, SLC, ect.... But so far the best and most talented team to ever come out of Texas was Yates in 85. Just my 2 cents.......

pack0808
07-06-2005, 10:43 AM
carter vs marshall was a great game not carter vs lufkin in 88. i was at that game and carter dominated my lufkin panthers. i was a young kid but i still remember lufkin had no chance. eric curl was a great rb with great speed but the whole carter defense could run very fast and every where he went is was like there was a gang of carter tacklers right with him. they had very similar speed to what lufkin and ns defenses have now. carter vs marshall was the great game that year. i did not see it but i heard it was an unbelievable finish. i think carter put jessie armstead on offense for the first time all year and he caught a long td pass to win it in the final minutes. lufkin did almost beat marshall in 88 though. i remember lufkin was up big in that one and marshall had a great come back. i threw and broke my radio listening to that game i do believe. see i was even a psycho lufkin fan back in 88 as a 13 year old. lol

biki1121
07-06-2005, 11:14 AM
Lufkin/Carter WAS a great game. Yes by the scoreboard Carter won that game what would appear easily. Go back and look at the stats. It was harder for Carter than people remember. Carter was just too talented at the time. I can remember Carter parents coming onto the field after the game and telling Scott he had the biggest heart they had ever seen. I think that was the first white kid running the option they had ever seen. hahaha
Xavier Brandon, Carlos Shankle and all those guys played their hearts out and left it on the field every game for Lufkin. 88 Lufkin was a great team. Just too many other great teams that year, including Marshall.

pack0808
07-06-2005, 11:19 AM
i just do not remember lufkin moving the ball much in that game.

Texasfrog
07-06-2005, 11:38 AM

Didnt some of the school lines get restructered about 8 years ago in Tyler ? I think that had some to do with it (athletes at Tyler Lee instead of John Tyler) that would of been at JT in the old days..

Anyway.. met a kid that is moving into Tyler Lee for his senior year. He plays OLB/DE. His parents seperated and his mom wants to be with her family in the Tyler area. So, his going to go to Tyler Lee. Good looking kid (6-1/205) and apparently did well at the Texas Tech summer camp. So, look for this kid. His in Dave Campbell's but for his old team not Tyler Lee. Look for him.

I met him this weekend while in Texas for the 4th. I know his family.

biki1121
07-06-2005, 11:53 AM
0808, Lufkin didn't move the ball great in the game but they did move the ball. Armstead always seemed to step it up at the critical time and stop Lufkin when it counted. But also remember Carter got most of their yardage off the 2 swing passes and the run over the left side off the broken reverse. Scott played the 3rd and 4th quarter with a concussion. Carter had to point him to the right bench twice...... I'm not trying to take anything away from Carter as they were one of the best HS teams that I have ever seen. But Lufkin was much better than people give them credit for that year. 87 Lufkin was a great team as well. Big Matt McCall was the star that year. Nacogdoches was pretty strong back then as well with the Whitlen (sp?) boys.

lonny23
07-06-2005, 01:06 PM
Consider this also....

The competition could've been better that year than others.

For example, this past year Southlake Carroll had work for their championship. Abilene, Lufkin, and SV game them fits, and yet they were the #1 team in the nation.

That year Carter, Odessa, and Marshall were all great at one time. Carter was the team that year that found a way to win as all great teams do.
You left off a great team from 1988. They had 5 shutouts in the regular season and 4 more in the playoffs and gave up 54 points total in 15 games going into the state title game. Losing to Carter on the field 31-14 has skewed how good Judson was that year, because that score was an aberration. It's not the freebie title that it's been called at times.

For anybody that has the chance to root for a championship team, cherish it because it's so hard to win it and no matter how good your team is, they may still get beat in the playoffs.

rantanamo
07-06-2005, 03:50 PM
North Oak Cliff

http://forum.dallasmetropolis.com/showthread.php?t=1752&highlight=Oak+Cliff

supercentex
07-06-2005, 04:09 PM
The 1991 Waco High vs Dallas Carter 4th round game (quarterfinal or regional final) was a great one.

Waco High had the #1 offense in the state and Dallas Carter had the #1 defense.

It was a huge game played at Texas Stadium.......I remember K-104 in Dallas was talking noise all week long about Waco High.

Carter lead most of the game 7-3............

In the 4th quarter Waco High converted 3 4th downs in a row...and on the last 4th down threw a 24 yard TD pass into the end zone with less than 20 seconds left.

It was probably the greatest game Waco High has ever had.

pack0808
07-06-2005, 04:21 PM
The 1991 Waco High vs Dallas Carter 4th round game (quarterfinal or regional final) was a great one.

Waco High had the #1 offense in the state and Dallas Carter had the #1 defense.

It was a huge game played at Texas Stadium.......I remember K-104 in Dallas was talking noise all week long about Waco High.

Carter lead most of the game 7-3............

In the 4th quarter Waco High converted 3 4th downs in a row...and on the last 4th down threw a 24 yard TD pass into the end zone with less than 20 seconds left.

It was probably the greatest game Waco High has ever had.

hey centex what happened to the waco 90 team?? the year marshall won the big 5a state championship?? marshall beat judson for the championship that year and they were obviously very very good going 14-2. their only losses were to monroe neville 21-14 and to waco 36-7!!! :eek: :eek: nobody blew out marshall back then?? how in the heck did waco lose to anybody that year?? did they just have a perfect game and marshall had a bad one?? i was surprised when i saw that score!!

pack0808
07-06-2005, 04:27 PM
here is the 90 marshall schedule and results

Monroe Wossman Win 14-7 Home
Monroe Neville Loss 21-14Away
Dallas Carter Win 31-13 Home
Waco Loss 36-7 Away :eek: :eek:
Paris Win 33-17 Home
Tyler Lee Win 15-9 Away
John Tyler Win 28-14 Away
Nacogdoches Win 26-7 Home??
Lufkin Win 33-3 Home
Longview Win 27-7 Away DISTRICT CHAMPIONS
Garland Lkvw. Cent. Win 36-26 \Cotton Bowl
Richardson Berkner Win 61-6 \TX. Stadium
Cypress Creek Win 33-7 \TX Stadium
Plano Win 24-19 \ TX Stadium
Arling. San Houston Win 21-0 \TX. Stadium
Converse Judson Win 21-19 \Astrodome STATE CHAMPIONS DIV I
Team Finished : (14-2)

pack0808
07-06-2005, 04:36 PM
well i looked it up and saw that waco got beat by huntsville pretty good in 90 in the 2nd round. huntsville lost to carter by a couple of td's the next round. marshall beat that carter team 31-13 in the 90 regular season. i guess you never know??

supercentex
07-06-2005, 04:51 PM
hey centex what happened to the waco 90 team?? the year marshall won the big 5a state championship?? marshall beat judson for the championship that year and they were obviously very very good going 14-2. their only losses were to monroe neville 21-14 and to waco 36-7!!! :eek: :eek: nobody blew out marshall back then?? how in the heck did waco lose to anybody that year?? did they just have a perfect game and marshall had a bad one?? i was surprised when i saw that score!!

That was when Waco High had Louis Fite at RB....he was the leading rusher in 5-A and was a BAD BAD DUDE.....he got nominated for an ESPN ESPY award for doing a full sumersalt flip over defenders and landing on his feet in the end zone.

Waco High beat Huntsville earlier that year...then lost to them in the playoffs....Huntsville was AWESOME back then....they had Chuck Clements at QB.

1991 Waco played Huntsville again the first game.....Waco was leading 29 to something (had over a two touchdown lead) and Huntsville came back at the very end with Chuck Clements passing on us like crazy......and the game was tied 29-29. Huntsville was #1 in the nation that game..and moved down after tying us. That game had over 11,000 at Sam Houston University.

Huntsville was just plain good back then.......and they were also our rivals.

We beat Marshall in 1991 also......... and Judson.........those were the days.

pack0808
07-06-2005, 05:16 PM
i did not realize that huntsville used to be that good?? times sure have changed for them. did louis fite go on and play in college or the nfl??

supercentex
07-06-2005, 05:42 PM
i did not realize that huntsville used to be that good?? times sure have changed for them. did louis fite go on and play in college or the nfl??

He got a full ride to Baylor.......(he had offers everywhere) that tells you how high Baylor was up there....and he could not pass the tests.

He then went on and played at the school down in the valley .......I forget the name..(that is where he got the ESPY nomination.........and that is about as far as he made it.

He was playing for a team in Waco called the Marshals here recently.......don't know what happened with that.

Huntsville's QB went on to Houston to play..his dad was the coach at Huntsville

lonny23
07-06-2005, 06:12 PM
You guys didn't mention that Judson beat Waco 31-28 in 1990. Winning one week does not guarantee future results as we see Waco beat Marshall, but Marshall beat Judson for the title. It's so hard to win state because you can't have a bad game.

All you have to do to understand this is to look at Judson. The Rockets have 6 titles and won 5 games on the field. From my perspective, Judson was better than Carter in 1988, Marshall in 1990, and Duncanville in 1998. If you add Westfield and Lee last year, that's 9 titles they could've won. On the other hand, Judson could've easily lost in the playoffs before the last-minute title win in 2002.

wide-e-wide
07-06-2005, 06:29 PM
i just do not remember lufkin moving the ball much in that game.

Probably because Carter kicked the (bleep) out of us that year.
I was there...and it was no where near close. Ugly,ugly game....

supercentex
07-06-2005, 06:45 PM
I think what helped Judson was the fact of playing in Region 4....and then going to the two state championship format. It would be totally different story if otherwise.

lonny23
07-06-2005, 08:35 PM
I think what helped Judson was the fact of playing in Region 4....and then going to the two state championship format. It would be totally different story if otherwise.
You guys have been missing the point for years. It has nothing to do with Region 4 because they take care of business in the semis and finals, too.

Those Judson teams under D.W. Rutledge were great on defense. Rackley has 5 shutouts in 4 years, while Rutledge had 52 in 17 season. Rackley has 5 more games where teams scored less than 10 points, while Rutledge had 57 games. Now tell me, doesn't it sound like Judson was a great team in any region when they held 109 opponents between 1984 and 2000 to less than 10 points?

farmerfan
07-06-2005, 09:03 PM
You guys didn't mention that Judson beat Waco 31-28 in 1990. Winning one week does not guarantee future results as we see Waco beat Marshall, but Marshall beat Judson for the title. It's so hard to win state because you can't have a bad game.

All you have to do to understand this is to look at Judson. The Rockets have 6 titles and won 5 games on the field. From my perspective, Judson was better than Carter in 1988, Marshall in 1990, and Duncanville in 1998. If you add Westfield and Lee last year, that's 9 titles they could've won. On the other hand, Judson could've easily lost in the playoffs before the last-minute title win in 2002.

How can you say Judson was better than Carter in 88, Carter led 31-0 at one point and the game was never in doubt. Also by saying Judson was better than Duncanville in 98, Ill say Permian was better than Judson in 95, so if you think about it, those titles even out. The same could be said for Lee in 83 and Marshall in 90. When you have played in as many title games as Judson has played in, you will see those trends quite often, where one year they should have won and the other year they should not have won.

farmerfan
07-06-2005, 09:07 PM
he got nominated for an ESPN ESPY award for doing a full sumersalt flip over defenders and landing on his feet in the end zone.

How could he have been nominated for a ESPY award when the ESPY's did not come into creation until 1993? Also the 1st High School event of any kind to be nominated was the PESH/JT for show stopper of the year during the 95 ESPY's.

dragonsdaddy
07-06-2005, 09:13 PM
How could he have been nominated for a ESPY award when the ESPY's did not come into creation until 1993? Also the 1st High School event of any kind to be nominated was the PESH/JT for show stopper of the year during the 95 ESPY's.

he was probably a fifth year sr at a&i when he got the espy.

supercentex
07-06-2005, 09:18 PM

He was nominated while he was in college............1993---1994 time-frame.

This is a photo of him hanging up at Waco High.

http://www.wacoisd.org/wacohigh/Multimedia/sports/WtRoomPics/P2280007.JPG

He is also now playing in Corpus Christi. And, I didn't know he played in the NFL and CFL.

Hammerheads put some Fite in the bite
The Hammerheads have just signed new Defensive Back Louis Fite of Texas A&M Kingsville. Fite weighs in at 195 pounds and stands 58 tall. His previous experience includes the NFL where he played with the Chicago Bears for 3 years, and then went on to play in the Canadian Football League

supercentex
07-06-2005, 09:21 PM
Just did a search on him..he also played for the Baltimore Stallions.

Baltimore Stallions rookie running back Louis Fite was so exciting to be given a chance to play yesterday that he was doing flips. With the Southern Division title already clinched and homefield advantage through the first two rounds of the playoffs secured, Stallions coach Don Matthews took the opportunity to rest star running back Mike Pringle against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats to see what Fite could do. After an inauspicious start - Fite fumbled the first time he touched the ball on a punt return in the first quarter - he awakened a rather passive crowd late in the second quarter when he landed on his feet after doing a complete forward flip over Hamilton cornerback Derek Grier on a 14-yard pass play. Fite's acrobatic dive seemed to relax him. He finished the Stallions' 24-17 victory with 85 yards rushing and his first professional touchdown on 20 carries after gaining just 15 yards on seven carries in the first half. "I felt a lot of butterflies," said the 5-foot-8, 190-pound Fite. "As soon as I landed on my feet and I saw the crowd get up, that got adrenaline in my body and I started relaxing. "
"The first quarter, I had a lot of good cuts and good blocks. But I was trying to run on my own because that's what I'm used to. I'm not used to a great offensive line making holes for me. All I had to do was calm down, take my steps and look at the holes. And once I started doing that, the offensive line started getting comfortable with me and I started getting comfortable with them." Fite keyed the Stallions' opening possession in the third quarter that culminated in his 1-yard touchdown run to extend their lead to 13-3. He had 30 yards on six carries in the drive. A two-year starter at Texas A&I, Fite said the flip - which gave the Stallions a first down at their 30-yard-line on a second-and-eight situation - was his way of atoning for his fumble. "I had to pick myself up after the punt-return fumble," he said. "Once I got the ball outside, I knew I had to make a first down to make the coaches relax on me so I can play. "I tried to get around [Grier], but he had already beaten me to the sideline so I just had to get over him."
It wasn't the first time Fite had done the flip in a game. He was nominated for an ESPY award last season when he did the same thing on a 30-yard touchdown run against East Central Oklahoma. "I give him a 9.5 on the flip," said Stallions linebacker Alvin Walton, who is Fite's first cousin. "His landing was kind of rough." Matthews wasn't exactly thrilled by the move, however, so Fite decided that one good flip did not deserve another. "I don't think it came at the right time," Matthews said. Yesterday's game was basically a one-shot audition for Fite, who does not figure to be included on the Stallions' playoff roster. Fite, who was signed in August and placed on the practice roster, had played in just one game prior to yesterday. "Both Pringle and [Robert] Drummond, the two other tailbacks, are in their option years, so we had to take a look at him to see if maybe he could be the guy nest year if we lose both guys," Matthews said. "But he has a long way to go to get to the level that Pringle and Drummond are at.

Red Raiders
07-07-2005, 12:38 AM

River Oaks has the wealthiest people in Houston and what school do they go to? Houston Lamar and yes I know they go to private school too.

Carter Cowboy
07-10-2005, 11:54 AM
This post is not directed towards anyone in particular, but I feel that I should clear the air. Alot of what is being said has "partial truths" to it. I grew up in Oak Cliff and as the name states, I am an alumni of Carter. Carter's district is middle class...with a combination of upper-middle, middle and lower class, depending on the locality of a specific neighborhood, it averages out to an average middle class community. As for the 88 cowboys, they were ONE of the best teams...period. I am not saying they were THE best, but ONE of the best. Carter has been to the state semi-finals on a few occasions...three or four...quater finals, and regionals...I have the facts at my disposal if anyone wants them. Year in and year out, Carter consistently has a depth of talent, as do many other schools. As stated, for a while, it has been poor coaching. Allen wilson's presence at Carter is one that will be remembered...I garuantee! For people to say talent is wasted is ridiculous, every school in the state has talent and every school doesn't always win. Carter's football team is the most succcessful in the history of DISD, with more playoff appearances(given from the time the school opened) and wins. I take a great deal of pride as do the rest of you on here in my school. If there are any questions as to the history of Carter High's football program, let me know and I'll be more than happy to supply you with the facts, from the very first game up to now.

businesstron
07-10-2005, 11:34 PM
When was the last time Carter Didn't go to the playoffs. I wonder if Carter Desoto and Duncanville will ever be in the same district again.

StormingCowboy
07-11-2005, 08:20 AM
When was the last time Carter Didn't go to the playoffs. I wonder if Carter Desoto and Duncanville will ever be in the same district again.

The year after going to state (1989), they didn't go to the playoffs because of a forfeit but Carter's record was 9-1. The last year that they didn't go to the playoffs because of their record was 1985. At that time only 2 teams from each district qualified for the playoffs. That year Dallas Kimball and Dallas South Oak Cliff represented the district in the playoffs.

pack0808
07-11-2005, 08:31 AM

carter has had some very good teams but even when they were down it was almost impossible not to make the playoffs because of their easy district schedule.

StormingCowboy
07-11-2005, 09:14 AM
carter has had some very good teams but even when they were down it was almost impossible not to make the playoffs because of their easy district schedule.

You are right. When you get to the playoffs, it tells all!! There was a period of 6 six years when Carter had to play the East Texas district in the first round, and Carter never advanced to Bi-distict doing those years, but looking at the scores they were competitive in most of those games except in 01 and 2000.

2001 Coach Sedberry Bi-Dist.CC 16 Lufkin 35 (The Pack State Champs )
2000 Coach Walton Bi-Dist. CC 18 JT 48 (Carter's record was 6-5)
1999 Coach Walton Bi-Dist. CC 18 Lufkin 24
1998 Coach ???? Bi- Dist. CC 6 JT 10
1997 Coach Chambers Bi-Dist. CC 34 TLee 35
1996 Coach Chambers Bi- Dist CC 14 JT 23

pack0808
07-11-2005, 09:34 AM
wasn't the score of the 99 game a little closer then it really was. for some reason, i remember lufkin having a big lead for most of that game and carter scored a few late meaningless td's. maybe i am completely wrong??

StormingCowboy
07-11-2005, 10:28 AM
wasn't the score of the 99 game a little closer then it really was. for some reason, i remember lufkin having a big lead for most of that game and carter scored a few late meaningless td's. maybe i am completely wrong??

I know that was the case for the 2001 game. I don't know about the 99 game.

pack0808
07-11-2005, 10:36 AM
maybe that is the game i am thinking about. lufkin played kimball a few times in the 1st round since 98 winning those by 14-0 and 24-10 in 98 and 00.

SumthynnSpecial
03-11-2006, 12:35 PM
I Think Carter Had A Very Good Team Back In 1988, But When You Look Back To Any Year Everyone Had A Good Team. Wilmer-Hutchins 1990, Odessa Permian, Southlake Carroll Etc. If A Team Is Going To Be Profiled As The Best, Talk About All The Others That Were Great In Their Respective Classes. 5a Is Not The Only Class In Texas.:)

maurader
03-11-2006, 01:15 PM
Carter has a 4A enrollment but opts up to play at the 5A level. I've always wondered how Carter would do playing at the 4A level against teams like Highland Park, Texas High, Ennis, and Hebron. They would probably have several state championships under their belt.

gritty52
03-11-2006, 02:02 PM
Trinity has scrimmaged them for the last 2 years. I say scrimmaging them and Midland has really helped us get ready for the season. Their coach Wilson is a good one and can often be heard yelling at his players, and we sit at the top at Pennin:D :D gton field.

lonny23
03-11-2006, 07:54 PM
hey stevefox, did you know that it took an amazing play at the end of the state quarterfinals or semi game?? for dallas carter to beat marshall from east texas in 1988?? the final score was 22-18. i saw that 88 carter team and they were one of the fastest and most athletic hs teams i have ever seen but they were not near as dominant as some think. they beat lufkin 31-7 in the 3rd round that year but they of course had to forfeit the game later. carter was very lucky to get by marshall though. ask anybody that saw that game.

here is marshall's schedule and results that year, that team was pretty dang good also. marshall beat permian that same year and barely beat lufkin after the panthers had a big lead.

Southwood Win 32-6 Home
Odessa Permian Win 13-12 Home
Kilgore Win 28-10 Away
Nacogdoches Win 24-7 Away
Lufkin Win 33-29
John Tyler Win 31-6 Away
Longview Win 28-0 Away Broke 19 year losing streak to Lobos
Tyler Lee Win 42-0 Home
Texas High Win 56-0 Away DISTRICT CHAMPIONS
Killeen Win 52-20 Texas Stadium
Huntsville Win 30-22 Texas Stadium
Garland Lk. Centenial Win 24-14 Floyd Casey-Baylor
Dallas Carter* loss 22-18 Floyd Casey Baylor Lost with less than 2 min left

*Carter was later forced to forfiet all wins including the 5A title.
Team Finished (12-1) OR (13-0) after UIL ruling.
I think that was the game they were talking about on the DVD about the John Tyler-Plano East game from 1994. The Plano East coach or Mike Zoffuto (former coach of Mt. Pleasant and Lake Highlands, but an anouncer in that game) was talking to Dennis Parker (assistant at Judson until 1983 and became Marshall coach) about losing by choosing to kick deep after recovering 3 onside kicks. They thought about doing an onside kick or a squib kick before kicking it deep. Parker told them it didn't matter what they did because he lost a playoff game by squib kicking it and the other team running it back for a TD when the ball bounced up in the air. It sure sounds like that Marshall-Carter game in 1988.