PDA

View Full Version : Texas vs. Ohio 2006

Mr. Buddy Garrity
02-23-2006, 03:25 PM
Texas High to face Super Bowl QB's high school in interstate challenge

The Texas High crowd traveled to two out-of-state games last year.
02/23/2006
Last year, Tyler Lee came up short. This year, Texarkana Texas High will give it another go for the Lone Star State.

For the second straight season, a high school football team from Texas will take part in the Kirk Herbstreit Ohio vs. USA Challenge.

Texas High will take on Findlay (Ohio) Friday, Sept. 15, at the University of Cincinnati's Nippert Stadium. It's the kickoff game of this second annual event.

Tyler Lee lost to Cincinnati Colerain, 27-12, in last year's Challenge. It set off a string of four straight losses -- and six of eight overall -- for the defending 5A Division I champions. Lee ended up missing the playoffs.

That's an unlikely scenario for Texas High.

Among the returnees for the Tigers is Ryan Mallet, the 6-6, 210-pound quarterback who's a strong part of the conversation for top prep QB in the country.

It's a sign of what kind of talent distinguishes the Ohio vs. USA Challenge. Powerhouses Lakeland (Fla.) and Concord (Calif.) De La Salle also are among the field.

CSTV analyst Tom Lemming said there could be as many as 75 Division I prospects among the participants.

Texas High's opponent, Findlay (10-2 in 2005), has a famous QB of its own, though he won't suit up for this one.

Before leading the Pittsburgh Steelers to the Super Bowl XL title in January, Ben Roethlisburger threw for 4,100 yards and 54 TDs in 12 games in 1999, his senior season at Findlay High.

KIRK HERBSTREIT OHIO VS. USA CHALLENGE
Friday, Sept. 15th (at the University of Cincinnati's Nippert Stadium)
Findlay (Ohio) vs. Texarkana Texas High
Colerain (Cincinnati) vs. Cardinal O'Hara (Springfield, Pa.)

Saturday, Sept. 16th (at the University of Cincinnati's Nippert Stadium)
Moeller (Cincinnati) vs. Byrnes (Duncan, S.C.) St. Xavier (Cincinnati) vs. Lakeland (Fla.) Centerville (Ohio) vs. Don Bosco Prep (Ramsey, N.J.) Elder (Cincinnati) vs. De La Salle (Concord, Calif.)

Saturday, Sept. 16th (at Kent State University's Dix Stadium)
Hilliard (Ohio) Davidson vs. Joseph's Prep (Philadelphia)
St. Edward (Lakewood, Ohio) vs. Springdale (Ark.)
and Massillon (Ohio) Washington vs. Hamilton (Chandler, Ariz.)

Firebird
02-23-2006, 04:15 PM
How is it that Ohio (well, really Kirk Herbstreit) got the brilliant idea of hosting an "Ohio vs. USA" football challenge. In all seriousness, I really like their attitude and cockiness for even suggesting a Ohio vs. USA challenge. But really, this OUGHT to be a Texas vs. USA challenge.

My modest suggestion-- The Dave Campbell Classic has lost some of its luster over the years. How cool would it be to change it to the "Dave Campbell Texas vs USA high school challenge. I could see it as a six game series-- two of the top Texas teams in 5a, 4a, and 3a would face off against an out of state rival of equivalent size. I'd like to see the smaller divisions get involved just to prove how deep the pool of quality football in Texas really is.

San Antonio is my favorite city in Texas, but I would suggest moving it to Austin, to use the DKR stadium because I FRIGGIN HATE watching football inside.(Possibly Reliant in Houston).

c-lisle
02-23-2006, 04:26 PM
[QUOTE=Firebird]How is it that Ohio (well, really Kirk Herbstreit) got the brilliant idea of hosting an "Ohio vs. USA" football challenge. In all seriousness, I really like their attitude and cockiness for even suggesting a Ohio vs. USA challenge. But really, this OUGHT to be a Texas vs. USA challenge.[QUOTE]

good point. you missed about three months of heated debate(mainly between Texas Frog and some guy form Ohio) on this very subject. The fact is that Colerain played a "down" Tyler Lee team and won't fair near as well if they will play a annual powerhouse like SLC among 5 or 6 others.

c-lisle
02-23-2006, 04:27 PM
I also read in USA Today that Evangel is already scheduled to play in this tournament in 2007. I guess ECA just refuses to go away.

stevefoxsc
02-23-2006, 04:35 PM
bah one of these again aslong as Texas high is a fairly decent team appearently ohio is 4-0 agaisnt texas team's at a high school level, but then again they were always agaisnt teams that were down.

LoboFan07
02-23-2006, 06:01 PM
Texas High should be pretty good next year. I believe they have a good amount of people coming back.

supercentex
02-23-2006, 06:34 PM
bah one of these again aslong as Texas high is a fairly decent team appearently ohio is 4-0 agaisnt texas team's at a high school level, but then again they were always agaisnt teams that were down.

Nope.....Waco High beat Cleveland Latin High in the 1940's for the mythical national championship.....47-14. So, at least we got one on them!

stevefoxsc
02-23-2006, 06:56 PM
Nope.....Waco High beat Cleveland Latin High in the 1940's for the mythical national championship.....47-14. So, at least we got one on them!

hahaha never herd them talk about that one :D but i sure will, i knew waco was good for somthing :p

clemensbuff
02-24-2006, 08:21 AM
Personally I don't believe that this type of game means a damn thing. It doesn't mean anything because graduation can totally change a team from a state champion the year before to a non-playoff team the next. If we want to really see who has the best HS football, let's take our best against any other state's best in an allstar game after the season! I think we used to do that with Pennsylvania, I believe they canceled that on us for some strange reason. If Texas assembles our best 40 players there is no state that would beat them, including Florida and Cal! Just look at the number of Texas players on the D1 teams around the nation and also on NFL teams! I rest my case.

stevefoxsc
02-24-2006, 01:59 PM
Personally I don't believe that this type of game means a damn thing. It doesn't mean anything because graduation can totally change a team from a state champion the year before to a non-playoff team the next. If we want to really see who has the best HS football, let's take our best against any other state's best in an allstar game after the season! I think we used to do that with Pennsylvania, I believe they canceled that on us for some strange reason. If Texas assembles our best 40 players there is no state that would beat them, including Florida and Cal! Just look at the number of Texas players on the D1 teams around the nation and also on NFL teams! I rest my case.

Yea i have talked about that with ton's of other high school football fans from other states most seem scared frightend or intemidated by the thought (aside the fact texas produces most D1 players) but it was agaisn't california not penn it was called the Texas vs cal, cal cancelled it after the Year Derrick johnson and cedric benson had a field day on there team's

Firebird
02-24-2006, 04:58 PM
The problem with all-star games is that is is such a hit or miss deal with getting the players to actually PLAY in them. College coaches don't want their 5-star prospect getting injured in some meaningless all-star game, and I can't blame them. Then there is the fact that no player is going to be at his peak in an all-star game. They are going to treat it like a fun exhibition, which it is. But playing side by side with your team mates, for pride and YOUR team, that means something.

Texasfrog
02-24-2006, 05:14 PM
Yea i have talked about that with ton's of other high school football fans from other states most seem scared frightend or intemidated by the thought (aside the fact texas produces most D1 players) but it was agaisn't california not penn it was called the Texas vs cal, cal cancelled it after the Year Derrick johnson and cedric benson had a field day on there team's

Cedric Benson didnt play in that All-Star game. Derrick Johnson did however and I believe he was the MVP of the game.

Cal won like 5 of those All-Star games. The first two really didnt have any Texas blue-chips on the teams going against California top blue-chips.

The rest of the games were pretty evenly matched and came down to the last play of the games pretty much to decide the winners.

PS. Also if I remember right. California wanted to pretty much take the "SAME ALL-STAR TEAM" and have the "EXACT SAME TEAM" play both against Florida and Texas. Wow, lets give the same kids about 8 practices and let them go against alot of kids that have had about 3 practices.

Something about California and "One sided" and "unfairness" kind of go hand in hand.

But, all the games were played in late July and all of them were played in California.

One of the main reasons that All-Star game was suspended was Texas started to push to have the game played in Texas every other year and the Cali backers couldnt swallow that.

Also.. Cali wanted to start the Cal/Fla game and didnt want to have to split its blue-chips between the two All-Star games.

Texas had been splitting much of its talent between the Cal/Tx game and the Oil Bowl (Tx vs Okla). I think 3 times both games (Cal/Tx) & (Tx vs Ok) were played on the same night.

I got into a debate with one of the sponsors of the Cal/Tx game.. who now sponsors the Cal/Fl game. He basically told me that the Texas talent proved it wasnt as good as the California talent and that's why the Cal/Tx game was cancelled. I pretty much "Laughed" in his face.

drgnbkr
02-24-2006, 05:17 PM
You gotta be careful with those Ohio fans..they burn cars when they win! I don't want to be around when they lose....;)

Texasfrog
02-24-2006, 05:17 PM
The problem with all-star games is that is is such a hit or miss deal with getting the players to actually PLAY in them. College coaches don't want their 5-star prospect getting injured in some meaningless all-star game, and I can't blame them. Then there is the fact that no player is going to be at his peak in an all-star game. They are going to treat it like a fun exhibition, which it is. But playing side by side with your team mates, for pride and YOUR team, that means something.

All-Star games are a complete joke to try to evaluate much. They're fun to watch and see the "athletes" perform. But, All-Star games have tons of restrictions in them from "blitz package" to "cover schemes" to alot of things.

On top of taking alot of kids that have never played together and giving them about 3 legit practices.

stevefoxsc
02-24-2006, 06:58 PM
Cedric Benson didnt play in that All-Star game. Derrick Johnson did however and I believe he was the MVP of the game.

Cal won like 5 of those All-Star games. The first two really didnt have any Texas blue-chips on the teams going against California top blue-chips.

The rest of the games were pretty evenly matched and came down to the last play of the games pretty much to decide the winners.

PS. Also if I remember right. California wanted to pretty much take the "SAME ALL-STAR TEAM" and have the "EXACT SAME TEAM" play both against Florida and Texas. Wow, lets give the same kids about 8 practices and let them go against alot of kids that have had about 3 practices.

Something about California and "One sided" and "unfairness" kind of go hand in hand.

But, all the games were played in late July and all of them were played in California.

One of the main reasons that All-Star game was suspended was Texas started to push to have the game played in Texas every other year and the Cali backers couldnt swallow that.

Also.. Cali wanted to start the Cal/Fla game and didnt want to have to split its blue-chips between the two All-Star games.

Texas had been splitting much of its talent between the Cal/Tx game and the Oil Bowl (Tx vs Okla). I think 3 times both games (Cal/Tx) & (Tx vs Ok) were played on the same night.

I got into a debate with one of the sponsors of the Cal/Tx game.. who now sponsors the Cal/Fl game. He basically told me that the Texas talent proved it wasnt as good as the California talent and that's why the Cal/Tx game was cancelled. I pretty much "Laughed" in his face.

By haha usc lost why?

Slim-Rob
02-24-2006, 07:12 PM
lol, dada is the only one that voted for "the other team"

clemensbuff
02-24-2006, 09:02 PM

Thanks for correcting my brain deadednest! LOL Man, I could have sworn that years ago it was Texas vs Pennsylvania!

Texasfrog
02-24-2006, 09:56 PM
By haha usc lost why?

I know... this was a few months before the Texas vs USC game. I did however remind him about the Tx Tech vs Cal game last season and how Tx Tech pretty much destroyed that Cal team. A Tx Tech team that was 95% Texas kids.

The Texas win over USC in the Nat. Championship game pretty much seals it for me.

They can have their mid-summer All-Star games. I'll take Bowl wins and National title games with mostly Texas kids beating those Cali college teams.

PS. Also Texas State beating Cal-Poly in the D-1AA playoffs this season put a smile on my face.:D

stevefoxsc
02-24-2006, 10:29 PM
I know... this was a few months before the Texas vs USC game. I did however remind him about the Tx Tech vs Cal game last season and how Tx Tech pretty much destroyed that Cal team. A Tx Tech team that was 95% Texas kids.

The Texas win over USC in the Nat. Championship game pretty much seals it for me.

They can have their mid-summer All-Star games. I'll take Bowl wins and National title games with mostly Texas kids beating those Cali college teams.

PS. Also Texas State beating Cal-Poly in the D-1AA playoffs this season put a smile on my face.:D

Yup when you think of it college level games are the all start games, majority of the kid's that go to places like UT usc OSU are majority from the state, aside the southern area where every one wants the texans. Sure at high school levels they love to acknowledge beating certain states but at the D1 level its a no no.