PDA

View Full Version : Mom fights Polar Bear, saves kids.

cove_2001
02-21-2006, 11:11 PM
Mom fights Bearl (http://espn.go.com/outdoors/general/news/2006/0221/2338668.html)

WOW, this is amazing.

cove_2001

CKE
02-21-2006, 11:26 PM
Mom fights Bearl (http://espn.go.com/outdoors/general/news/2006/0221/2338668.html)

WOW, this is amazing.

cove_2001

come on who hasn't thrown down with a bear:rolleyes:

all i know is the bear is lucky chuck norris wasnt there or it would have been more painful than 4 weak gun shots

slorch
02-22-2006, 08:22 AM
there was a time when I believed my mom could have run the bear off by staring at it...

I always tease my mom that i joined the marines because it was easier than living at home!

tough and loving lady!( and she lets the grandkids get away with murder!!!:D )

yankee
02-22-2006, 08:57 AM

WOW, this is amazing.

cove_2001
supermom to the rescue!

Tigerjag
02-22-2006, 09:41 PM
Well, of course she did. No way would I let a bear get at my kids either.

Slim-Rob
02-22-2006, 10:17 PM
Whats a Polar Bear?:confused:

dragons08
02-22-2006, 10:19 PM
Whats a Polar Bear?:confused:
go up north, look for a big white thing, try to shake hands with it, tell me what happens

Slim-Rob
02-22-2006, 10:19 PM
go up north, look for a big white thing, try to shake hands with it, tell me what happens

All they teach us at school is TAKS so I seriously don't know what that is.

dragons08
02-22-2006, 10:21 PM
All they teach us at school is TAKS so I seriously don't know what that is.
ever see the coca-cola commericals with the white bears? thats a polar bear..

Slim-Rob
02-22-2006, 10:22 PM
ever see the coca-cola commericals with the white bears? thats a polar bear..

Whats Coca-Cola?

dragons08
02-22-2006, 10:25 PM
Whats Coca-Cola?
COKE!!!!! the soda..like pepsi? please tell me your just f*ing with me

Slim-Rob
02-22-2006, 10:26 PM
COKE!!!!! the soda..like pepsi? please tell me your just f*ing with me

OH, Soda Water. I gotcha. So is it grape flavored or orange flavored?

I still don't know what a Polar Bear is.

dragons08
02-22-2006, 10:27 PM
OH, Soda Water. I gotcha. So is it grape flavored or orange flavored?

I still don't know what a Polar Bear is.
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo dude, you live under a rock????

okay a polar bear, is like a regular old bear, excepts it lives in the artic north, and has white hair, hence the POLAR part..

coca-cola..is a soda..caffine, black colored..JUST LIKE PEPSI!

Slim-Rob
02-22-2006, 10:28 PM
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo dude, you live under a rock????

okay a polar bear, is like a regular old bear, excepts it lives in the artic north, and has white hair, hence the POLAR part..

coca-cola..is a soda..caffine, black colored..JUST LIKE PEPSI!

Sometimes dat there 24 car has PEPSI on it....is it a Soda Water too?

dragons08
02-22-2006, 10:30 PM
Sometimes dat there 24 car has PEPSI on it....is it a Soda Water too?
no..its POP, SODA..

dude you gotta be screwing with me, you cant be THAT out of it

Slim-Rob
02-22-2006, 10:30 PM
no..its POP, SODA..

dude you gotta be screwing with me, you cant be THAT out of it

My POPs says Soda Water is bad for me. Does that be true?

Reaganrattler07
02-22-2006, 10:32 PM
Rocket, you got him bad

dragons08
02-22-2006, 10:33 PM
Rocket, you got him bad
i knew he was f*ing with me..nobody can be THAT stupid!!!

Reaganrattler07
02-22-2006, 10:35 PM
i knew he was f*ing with me..nobody can be THAT stupid!!!

You didn't know what a boar was....

Slim-Rob
02-22-2006, 10:36 PM
http://www.race-depot.com/images/JeffGordonPepsiCar1.jpg
Why are you calling that a POP, or Soda? I call it a car....

dragons08
02-22-2006, 10:38 PM
You didn't know what a boar was....
no, im talking about coca-cola

Reaganrattler07
02-22-2006, 10:42 PM
no, im talking about coca-cola

No, a few weeks ago, we were talking about a Boar and you were like "whats a boar?"

dragons08
02-22-2006, 10:43 PM
No, a few weeks ago, we were talking about a Boar and you were like "whats a boar?"
i know, im a city slicker though!

Reaganrattler07
02-22-2006, 10:44 PM

And i'm not?!

dragons08
02-22-2006, 10:46 PM
And i'm not?!
arent you a native texan?

Reaganrattler07
02-22-2006, 10:48 PM
arent you a native texan?

Technically.....but I mean...it's not like I was raised on a dang farm....

Slim-Rob
02-22-2006, 10:50 PM

City Slicker???

cove_2001
02-22-2006, 10:52 PM
Do you guys have nothing better to do than a hi-jack a thread?

Get AOL or Yahoo and message each other. Everytime I try and read a thread you guys ramble about stupid stuff and don't stay on topic. There is no need for that. If you can't stay on topic, then don't reply.

Is it that hard?

cove_2001

lonny23
02-22-2006, 10:53 PM
OK, here's my polar bear story.

In May 1994 some Australian tourists visited the Anchorage Zoo in Alaska. One woman got too close to the polar bear cage where Nuka (female) and Binky (male) lived. Binky bit her arm off and it was an international story. Polar bears are known to be mean and attack things that move, so it's not like they have to be provoked very much. They're all about survival in the Arctic north. Let's zoom ahead to August 1994 and the first day of school. Two high school boys decided to skip school and drink alcohol that day. They paid a visit to the zoo and decided it would be cool to swim in Binky's water pool. They jumped the first little fence and climbed the second fence to enter the realm of Binky. I don't know what happened to one boy, but the other one left the bear cage that day minus his male anatomy. When I heard this, I said, "I HAVE to go see Binky." I did go to the zoo one day right before I moved, but I was severely disappointed. I didn't care that Binky was a little dirty compared to Nuka, but was very disappointed that he just layed around. He wouldn't hardly move at all.

The moral of the story is, "Don't mess with polar bears!":D

dragons08
02-22-2006, 10:53 PM

Get AOL or Yahoo and message each other. Everytime I try and read a thread you guys ramble about stupid stuff and don't stay on topic. There is no need for that. If you can't stay on topic, then don't reply.

Is it that hard?

cove_2001
yeah it is..sad thing is were talking on aol as well hahahahahaha

Reaganrattler07
02-22-2006, 10:54 PM

Is it that hard?

cove_2001

Yeah, sorry about that...and like D08 said.....we do talk on AOL :(

Slim-Rob
02-22-2006, 10:55 PM

Is it that hard?

cove_2001

We were on topic when I was trying to find out what a Polar Bear was. Then I was trying to get a definition to the definition of Polar Bear.

I'm sorry dude... I won't do it again..but you know you laughed:D

It's an amazing story really though

cove_2001
02-22-2006, 11:03 PM
Lonny that is funny. Poor guy.

Thanks guys for being respectful(d08,trn,coolkid,etc...). I appreciate that.

dragons08
02-22-2006, 11:05 PM

no problem dude, i figured i'd start our own thread so we can hijack ourselves!

anyways back to polar bears..

anybody seen a live polar bear? like lonny said, their quite lazy

Slim-Rob
02-22-2006, 11:05 PM

Its funny though cause I was just about to say we need to steer this back over to our little area:D

Reaganrattler07
02-22-2006, 11:06 PM
I saw a polar bear at the zoo once....they were kinda yellow....

lonny23
02-22-2006, 11:13 PM
I saw a polar bear at the zoo once....they were kinda yellow....
So was Binky. Maybe he rolls in his own urine.

Reaganrattler07
02-22-2006, 11:15 PM
So was Binky. Maybe he rolls in his own urine.

Or maybe they're naturally yellow and the snow makes them white....ever think a that!

Slim-Rob
02-22-2006, 11:17 PM
Or maybe they're naturally yellow and the snow makes them white....ever think a that!

But maybe they are yellow for the same reason snow can be yellow...

Reaganrattler07
02-22-2006, 11:25 PM
But maybe they are yellow for the same reason snow can be yellow...

Animals don't pee on themselves......at least I don't think so....

Slim-Rob
02-22-2006, 11:25 PM
Animals don't pee on themselves......at least I don't think so....

I do....JUST KIDDING. They could roll in it, or another animal could pee on them....

Reaganrattler07
02-22-2006, 11:28 PM
I do....JUST KIDDING. They could roll in it, or another animal could pee on them....

Animals make it a point to not go in the area they urinated in....and I don't think they do it on each other....

lonny23
02-23-2006, 12:04 AM
Animals make it a point to not go in the area they urinated in....and I don't think they do it on each other....
Cats smell just like urine sometimes. Don't believe they don't do it.

Miss Kitty
02-23-2006, 07:38 AM
I would fight a bear for my kids anyday. I might die but at least my kids would get away.

dada
02-23-2006, 08:32 AM
Polar Bear gets beat up by 5 foot nothing 95 pound mom. What is the world coming too? This must have been the D08 of Polar Bears. He set all bears back 1000 years. Wuss.

lonny23
02-23-2006, 10:12 AM
Polar Bear gets beat up by 5 foot nothing 95 pound mom. What is the world coming too? This must have been the D08 of Polar Bears. He set all bears back 1000 years. Wuss.
I bet she wasn't a 95 pound mom. She was probably quite a bit bigger. The women out in the middle of nowhere in Alaska and Canada are bigger than average.

Slim-Rob
02-23-2006, 10:24 AM
I would fight a bear for my kids anyday. I might die but at least my kids would get away.

What if the bear ate you, then got your kids too? I would fight for my family anyways.

dada
02-23-2006, 10:28 AM
Didnt want to start a new thread, but check this out

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=377839&in_page_id=1770&in_a_source=

Slim-Rob
02-23-2006, 05:33 PM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=377839&in_page_id=1770&in_a_source=

I've always wondered if that was possible. I guess I could have asked my Bio teacher in 9th grade....

Firebird
02-23-2006, 05:41 PM
Porcupines pee on each other to make their quills softer before mating.

Man, I wish that the black/white twins were born in America. Can you imagine if they both applied to the same college? Would one twin be eligible for affirmative action assistance and the other not? What the devil would their census forms look like? The possibilities are endless......

Slim-Rob
02-27-2006, 06:46 PM

Man, I wish that the black/white twins were born in America. Can you imagine if they both applied to the same college? Would one twin be eligible for affirmative action assistance and the other not? What the devil would their census forms look like? The possibilities are endless......

ROFL, how do you know that?

And the twins would both be eligible for affirmitive action assistance because they both have African American in them.

TexasRed6x
02-27-2006, 07:27 PM
If you don't mind me asking, what does ROFL mean?

Miss Kitty
02-27-2006, 07:31 PM
If you don't mind me asking, what does ROFL mean?

Rolling On Floor Laughing

Slim-Rob
02-27-2006, 07:40 PM
roflmao:

Rolling On (the) Floor Laughing My A$$ Off

TexasRed6x
02-27-2006, 07:41 PM
Rolling On Floor Laughing
Thank you Miss Kitty :)

lonny23

That's cool. I saw a story about black and white twins on TV a few months ago.

Slim-Rob
That's cool. I saw a story about black and white twins on TV a few months ago.

SURE you did lonny:rolleyes:

lonny23
02-27-2006, 07:44 PM

The twins I was talking about were Americans.

lonny23
02-27-2006, 07:45 PM
I'm betting on you...unless the bear steps on your foot!:p

lonny23
02-27-2006, 07:50 PM
SURE you did lonny:rolleyes:
I think they were artificial insemination, though. That's a shame because you get pregnant without any of the fun. Of course, the guys may out like a bandit. They get all the fun without getting pregnant.

Slim-Rob
02-27-2006, 07:51 PM
I think they were artificial insemination, though. That's a shame because you get pregnant without any of the fun. Of course, the guys may out like a bandit. They get all the fun without getting pregnant.

LOL. they get pregnant without any of the fun. rofl

lonny23
02-27-2006, 07:56 PM
LOL. they get pregnant without any of the fun. rofl
Miss Kitty will tell you that having kids isn't fun, but making them is!:D

Slim-Rob
02-27-2006, 07:57 PM
Miss Kitty will tell you that having kids isn't fun, but making them is!:D

haha, I understood what you were saying

Miss Kitty
02-27-2006, 08:30 PM
I'm betting on you...unless the bear steps on your foot!:p

Well if the bear stepped on my foot it would make me mad. But if it nothing else, the bear could eat me and get full then leave my family alone. ;)

lonny23
02-27-2006, 08:45 PM
Well if the bear stepped on my foot it would make me mad. But if it nothing else, the bear could eat me and get full then leave my family alone. ;)
Do you taste like chicken?:D

Miss Kitty
02-27-2006, 08:49 PM
Do you taste like chicken?:D

NO!!!!

You know what I am thinking. But I am NOT going to put in on here. :D

Slim-Rob
02-27-2006, 08:52 PM
NO!!!!

At first I thought he was talking about something inappropriate for the board too. Then I remembered the conversation was about a bear eating you....

lonny23
02-27-2006, 09:31 PM
NO!!!!

I'll call when I get done with this chicken.

Slim-Rob
02-27-2006, 09:32 PM
I'll call when I get done with this chicken.

nice recovery...:eek:

lonny23
02-27-2006, 09:35 PM
nice recovery...:eek:
I didn't need a recovery. I am eating chicken. We were talking about chicken yesterday.:D

Slim-Rob
02-27-2006, 09:43 PM
I didn't need a recovery. I am eating chicken. We were talking about chicken yesterday.:D
SURE:rolleyes:

Firebird
02-27-2006, 10:29 PM
Since the original topic of this thread was about bear attacks, did any of ya'll catch "Grizzly Man" on the Discovery Channel. I have to say, the footage of Treadwell, who fancied himself a "protector" of Alaksa's Kodiak Bears (the largest in the world, btw), made for a truly compelling film. He really belived he had a special relationship with them, and that they would not harm him. I can't go so far as to say that "He got what he deserved" (if you didn't see the film, Tim Treadwell and his girlfriend were killed and partially eaten by a bear), but I will say that any competely rational person could have seen the ultimate end to his actions. What were your thoughts on the flick. It was one of the better movies I have watched this year, and it was a documentary.

Slim-Rob
02-27-2006, 10:34 PM
Since the original topic of this thread was about bear attacks, did any of ya'll catch "Grizzly Man" on the Discovery Channel. I have to say, the footage of Treadwell, who fancied himself a "protector" of Alaksa's Kodiak Bears (the largest in the world, btw), made for a truly compelling film. He really belived he had a special relationship with them, and that they would not harm him. I can't go so far as to say that "He got what he deserved" (if you didn't see the film, Tim Treadwell and his girlfriend were killed and partially eaten by a bear), but I will say that any competely rational person could have seen the ultimate end to his actions. What were your thoughts on the flick. It was one of the better movies I have watched this year, and it was a documentary.

ROFL. i am laughing so hard even though thats messed up. LOL. thats like saying fire won't burn you.

Firebird
02-27-2006, 10:50 PM
Treadwell was a person with an addictive personality. He had earlier struggled with alcohol, and came to view his "work" with the bears as sort of his redemption for his earlier life.

Despite the Park Service's insistence that poaching of bears on Kodiak Island and in Alaska was not a problem, Treadwell believed that his presence was needed during the summer to protect the bears from phantom poachers. He claimed to be "studying" the bears and often landed gigs as an educational speaker when he wasn't in Alaska. Nevertheless, most serious researchers considered his "studies" to consist mostly of emotional, romaniticized views of bears and nature in general. He gave "his" bears names like "Mr. Chocalate" and "Sergeant", and repeatedly violated park restrictions to maintain a distance of 100 yds from bears. He did, however, manage to live about 7 summers with the bears and avoid being killed.

Most of the movie consists of his own footage, as he was preparing his own film about his "work". He did capture some spectacular nature footage. Still, I don't know what to think of him. Like I said, nobody "deserves" to be mauled and eaten by a bear, but I can't see any other way his actions could end.

Slim-Rob
02-27-2006, 10:52 PM
Treadwell was a person with an addictive personality. He had earlier struggled with alcohol, and came to view his "work" with the bears as sort of his redemption for his earlier life.

Despite the Park Service's insistence that poaching of bears on Kodiak Island and in Alaska was not a problem, Treadwell believed that his presence was needed during the summer to protect the bears from phantom poachers. He claimed to be "studying" the bears and often landed gigs as an educational speaker when he wasn't in Alaska. Nevertheless, most serious researchers considered his "studies" to consist mostly of emotional, romaniticized views of bears and nature in general. He gave "his" bears names like "Mr. Chocalate" and "Sergeant", and repeatedly violated park restrictions to maintain a distance of 100 yds from bears. He did, however, manage to live about 7 summers with the bears and avoid being killed.

Most of the movie consists of his own footage, as he was preparing his own film about his "work". He did capture some spectacular nature footage. Still, I don't know what to think of him. Like I said, nobody "deserves" to be mauled and eaten by a bear, but I can't see any other way his actions could end.

but he eventually got eaten?

Firebird
02-27-2006, 10:54 PM
Yeah, he did. Him and his girlfriend, who helped him tape his film. He stayed a little late one year and ran into a hungry grizzly that he had never seen before. Pretty terrible way to go.

Slim-Rob
02-27-2006, 10:57 PM
Yeah, he did. Him and his girlfriend, who helped him tape his film. He stayed a little late one year and ran into a hungry grizzly that he had never seen before. Pretty terrible way to go.

I bet. It's real bad that I laugh about it, but...