PDA

View Full Version : Concession stand suggestions

thptrek
04-07-2010, 02:42 PM
I may be the new concession chairman for our booster club. What foods, suggestions, ideas have you seen at high school concesson stands that you thought were a great idea? We currently have all the regular stuff like hot dogs, nachos, etc but I think we should offer some new items.

slcdragonfan
04-07-2010, 02:44 PM
I may be the new concession chairman for our booster club. What foods, suggestions, ideas have you seen at high school concesson stands that you thought were a great idea? We currently have all the regular stuff like hot dogs, nachos, etc but I think we should offer some new items.

BBQ sandwiches.
chicken sandwiches.

twcpfan1
04-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Funnel Cakes
Fish and Chips
Bratwurst in a roll
Chicken Salad
Klondike Bars
Smoothies

JagFan
04-07-2010, 03:33 PM
Big Pretzels.

JagFan
04-07-2010, 03:35 PM
If you have a Chick fil A in your district they usually will give you a deal were they deliver the sandwiches and you sell and keep a certain amount per sand which.

Good luck to you Concession Stand Chair is a tough job.

SV61
04-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Popcorn is your biggest friend. Low cost/high yeild. It is unbelievable how much money you can make off just popcorn.

Next, is to keep the menu pretty simple. You will get better volunteer participation that way. The smaller the mess the better too. Nacho cheese, chili, etc, use some type of crock pot liner, and cleanup is a snap.

Candy bars are a great money maker. Chips also. The healthy stuff doesn't seem to go over as well.

Oh, and Pizza (to go from like Dominoes or something). Easy to manage, and no cleanup. Pretty good profit too!

Favpack
04-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Funnel cakes
burgers, ribs, chick. sandwiches

Wondering when someone mentions Sushi...... :rolleyes:

slcdragonfan
04-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Funnel cakes
burgers, ribs, chick. sandwiches

Wondering when someone mentions Sushi...... :rolleyes:

We also had a very nice Thanksgiving dinner, with real turkey, mashed potatoes, green beans and gravy, all for a very reasonable price. Our concession folks are fantastic. And yes, they came up with the idea for sushi and yes, it is good. But not just anybody can do sushi. :p

SV61
04-07-2010, 03:51 PM
The people suggesting the elaborate menus, are just askin for it!!!

:D

I'm tellin you. Keep it simple. IT'll make your life easier, and your help happier. You make plenty of money that way, too! That's the name of the game, right? Not sure people are coming to a sporting event, looking for four star dining.

JagFan
04-07-2010, 03:54 PM
The people suggesting the elaborate menus, are just askin for it!!!

:D

I'm tellin you. Keep it simple. IT'll make your life easier, and your help happier. You make plenty of money that way, too! That's the name of the game, right? Not sure people are coming to a sporting event, looking for four star dining.

You are correct. Hotdogs, popcorn, nachos, pretzels, candy, peanuts. If you have a big grill and people willing to do it then maybe hamburgers. If you get to fancy or messy then you will have a problem with getting volunteers to work it.

twcpfan1
04-07-2010, 03:58 PM
I thought the thread starter was asking for suggestions outside what is considered normal. He did say that he already had the usual suspects there.

Chick Fil A is very popular at TWCP sporting events outside of football.

SV61
04-07-2010, 04:05 PM
When I go to the bigger venues, there are always things like Chick fil a and pizza. Both of these have some profit, but are also easy to keep track of, and clean up after.

There are always a ton of things you can offer at a concession stand. It's just is the frustration factor worth it.

We forgot pickles.

BIG pickles.

But back to this popcorn thing. You keep that popcorn machine pumpin out fresh popcorn, get the aroma going, and people can't get their wallet out fast enough. I have sold $300 worth of popcorn on given nights, at a tiny little private school gym. Probably cost me all of $20 to do it!

SV61
04-09-2010, 10:55 AM
And another thing,

Order your goods, in quantities that you can charge a dollar amount for. Don't have stuff for 50 cents, 75 cents, etc.

Your lines will move faster, and your volunteers AND patrons will thank you!

JagFan
04-09-2010, 11:01 AM
One thing we did do especially in the warmer months was have a separate drink/popcorn/peanuts spot. It is set up under the stands between the two concession areas. We filled big bins with ice and drinks and offered popcorn and peanuts at that spot as well. While we needed more volunteers it did help with the long lines so we sold more.

F18mustang
04-09-2010, 08:29 PM
I'll take the Sushi from Southlake Carroll.

thptrek
04-12-2010, 10:03 AM
I really like the idea of separate area for drinks. This can really keep the line moving. I also like the idea of the big pretzels.

Do you all contract out for some of the food? I was thinking about having some catering trucks like you see at fairs set up in our parking area. Maybe a funnel cake guy and a kettle corn guy and collect a % of the sales or just charge a flat fee.

SV61
04-12-2010, 10:10 AM
I really like the idea of separate area for drinks. This can really keep the line moving. I also like the idea of the big pretzels.

Do you all contract out for some of the food? I was thinking about having some catering trucks like you see at fairs set up in our parking area. Maybe a funnel cake guy and a kettle corn guy and collect a % of the sales or just charge a flat fee.

Not a bad idea, depending on the health regs in your neck o the woods.

As for getting a percentage of the haul from these vendors, how would you monitor this? How would you know that they sold 1000 items, and not 10000 items?

JagFan
04-12-2010, 10:12 AM

We shop at Sam's and Costco for our supplies. The only things we don't take in all revenue from is the Chick Fil A sandwiches and Smoothie King comes out in the warmer weather games and sets up separate from the stand. We get a percentage of their sales.

If you make people go to too many different places for what they want they won't go at all. Keep the full menu at the main concession stand and then set up the drink only (with popcorn and peanuts if you wish) separately.

I have worked with our concession stand for 6 years now. Not the chair but as a volunteer. And the biggest thing I have learned and witnessed is keep it simple. Make that your #1 rule and you will do fine.

thptrek
04-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Keep it simple. The best advice!

JagFan
04-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Keep it simple. The best advice!

Yep!

thptrek
04-13-2010, 07:37 AM
Has anyone ever tried ice cream. I was thinking of something like Blue Bell ice cream cups. You could store those in a big fishing cooler with some dry ice to keep them frozen.

SV61
04-13-2010, 08:28 AM
Sure have tried ice cream. Big seller. Things like pushups, nutty buddy, ice cream cups (IF you want to keep up with spoons).

We would just keep them in the freezer of the Fridge.

J-Rock Mom
04-13-2010, 09:17 AM
Hot Cheetos with Cheese is a big one, peanuts, sunflower seeds, candy, hot dogs, nachos, snowcones.

thptrek
04-14-2010, 07:56 AM
I really appreciate all the good advice here.

JagFan
04-15-2010, 08:07 AM
I really appreciate all the good advice here.

It is always good to hear ideas from different schools. What works and what doesn't. Now if someone could just figure out how to put A/C in our concession stand I would be very happy. :)

I did ask our Concession guy what our biggest seller was and he said popcorn, peanuts and the Chick Fil A sandwiches. In the colder months months hot chocolate. You can make a ton of money off of hot chocolate.

Maroondog
04-15-2010, 11:32 AM
Years ago when you could get tamales pretty cheap, we sold the heck out of them. They were delivered fresh in 5 gallon tins still warm. Never had to worry about keeping them hot, they were all gone in a flash.

Probably too high priced to do that now.

Also, corn shucks made stadium cleanup a bit messy sometimes. But hey, they're organic, let em compost in the stands. :D

slcdragonfan
04-15-2010, 11:42 AM
Years ago when you could get tamales pretty cheap, we sold the heck out of them. They were delivered fresh in 5 gallon tins still warm. Never had to worry about keeping them hot, they were all gone in a flash.

Probably too high priced to do that now.

Also, corn shucks made stadium cleanup a bit messy sometimes. But hey, they're organic, let em compost in the stands. :D

Good idea! We had tamales last year, they were messy but they were very tasty. easy to store and reheat.

slorch
04-15-2010, 11:43 AM
runzas.

yeah, they're good, especially on a cold day!

With the eastern Euro heritage in Central Texas, I'm surprised these don't exist in Texas...

JagFan
04-20-2010, 06:29 AM
My son pointed out if you do the big pretzels you have to sell the cup of cheese sauce to dip them in.

slorch
04-20-2010, 09:59 AM
My son pointed out if you do the big pretzels you have to sell the cup of cheese sauce to dip them in.

or mustard.

even with cheese, it's not like we don't have a few Nacho cheese warmers available in the stadiums today :)

JagFan
04-20-2010, 10:08 AM
or mustard.

even with cheese, it's not like we don't have a few Nacho cheese warmers available in the stadiums today :)

Very true. It would be very easy to offer both since most stands already have them. Maybe order some little cups to put the dipping cheese in.

I prefer mustard with my big pretzels, but the son loves the cheese.

Maroondog
04-20-2010, 10:58 AM
The mustard comments made me think about GOOD corney dogs. I think those would be easier than hot dogs and better.

JagFan
04-20-2010, 11:24 AM
The mustard comments made me think about GOOD corney dogs. I think those would be easier than hot dogs and better.

And not nearly as messy as a hot dog.

da hawaiian
04-21-2010, 02:47 PM
I'm going to see if we can introduce Musubi's and Malasada's at Trinity's games. yeah right :o

Trojanalum693
04-21-2010, 03:02 PM
I'm going to see if we can introduce Musubi's and Malasada's at Trinity's games. yeah right :o

With the way the concessions run at Pennington? :o

those lines are always so long and it takes forever for them to get everybody thru them. They only open the one concession stand when there are two more on either side that they could open.

da hawaiian
04-26-2010, 01:12 PM
I believe there was an issue with staffing or volume of food on hand, definately a missed opportunity for the food vendor