PDA

View Full Version : I'm different

SWMHebron
03-16-2010, 09:50 PM
At least that is what my ophthalmologist says. To summarize:

Age 8 -- got glasses

Age 9 -- got contacts

Age 40 -- got LASIK. :heli:I was at 20/400 and after LASIK life was wonderful. I was 20/15 in the right eye and 20/50 in the left. I could have had my left done again, but nearsighted in one and farsighted in the other worked for me.

Age 48 -- got shingles on the right side of my face. I got over that without too many problems, but developed iritis in my right (far vision) eye. Many weeks of steroid eye drops starting 6 times a day and tapering fixed that, but my vision never got back to 20/15.

Now -- a few weeks ago I developed blurry vision in my right eye, like a film. I go in to the doctor today and after spending lots of time looking at my eye said he had never seen what I have -- basically a film over my cornea. He said it is sometimes seen immediately (like a week) post LASIK but we are at 12 years and counting for me. So now I am back on 6 times a day steroid drops and see him again in a week. My vision is at the point I cannot drive. Thankfully my near vision is fine so I can work, read and do internet stuff.

SLC
03-16-2010, 09:54 PM
Goodness gracious. You just be a sight to see.:D

F18mustang
03-16-2010, 09:55 PM
Wow SWM. I hope that gets cleared up. Our Bodies definitely work in strange ways.

JagFan
03-16-2010, 09:58 PM
Can they treat it?

SWMHebron
03-16-2010, 09:59 PM
Goodness gracious. You just be a sight to see.:D

Seeing me isn't a problem.:cool:

Me seeing is. Actually after drops 6 times today the "film" part seems better even if my visual acuity isn't. I just want to get to the point that contacts are an option.

SLC
03-16-2010, 10:01 PM
Seeing me isn't a problem.:cool:

Me seeing is. Actually after drops 6 times today the "film" part seems better even if my visual acuity isn't. I just want to get to the point that contacts are an option.

So, at this point another round of Lasik wouldn't help?

SWMHebron
03-16-2010, 10:01 PM
Can they treat it?

Hopefully the 6 times a day steroid drops will treat it. We'll find out in a week. If not I'm not sure what we will do.

And the steroids put me a higher risk for cataracts down the road but since both parents had them I figure that is a given for me anyway.

SWMHebron
03-16-2010, 10:02 PM
So, at this point another round of Lasik wouldn't help?

Not until we get the filmy thing fixed. After that I would love to have Lasik again if I am a candidate at that point.

SWMHebron
03-16-2010, 10:03 PM
Wow SWM. I hope that gets cleared up. Our Bodies definitely work in strange ways.

:Censor: shingles.

JagFan
03-16-2010, 10:04 PM
Hopefully the 6 times a day steroid drops will treat it. We'll find out in a week. If not I'm not sure what we will do.

And the steroids put me a higher risk for cataracts down the road but since both parents had them I figure that is a given for me anyway.

Wow- I hope the drops work. Keep us posted. It would stink not to be able to drive.

ktCarl
03-16-2010, 10:15 PM
Age 40 -- got LASIK. :heli:I was at 20/400 and after LASIK life was wonderful. I was 20/15 in the right eye and 20/50 in the left. I could have had my left done again, but nearsighted in one and farsighted in the other worked for me.

Age 48 -- got shingles on the right side of my face.

If I would have known that I would have contacted you to re-roof my house after the hurricane damage. ;)

SWMHebron
03-16-2010, 10:16 PM
Wow- I hope the drops work. Keep us posted. It would stink not to be able to drive.

Yeah, it does. It helps alot that we work together, which has its moments, but for now is a good thing.

Even if the acuity doesn't improve if we can fix the filmy thing I should be able to be corrected enough with glasses or contacts to drive. And watch football.

SLC
03-16-2010, 10:18 PM
Not until we get the filmy thing fixed. After that I would love to have Lasik again if I am a candidate at that point.

Gotcha. Well, I hope things go well from here. My grandmother had cataracts and it definately sucked as it progressed.