PDA

View Full Version : Politics Test Tommorow..

SeguinMatadors
02-19-2006, 02:40 PM
So I have this politics test tommorow and I have skipped that class a few times and haven't done all of my readings... I do have a review though... I am going to have to go through about 300 pages (Asigned reading in 2 weeks:eek: ) tonight and find some of these answers but.... anyone out there into politics or a politics major that can answer some of these questions??!?!!

Review for Exam I (Chapters 1-3, 12)
POL 1013, MA
Political Culture

National Identity

Two roots of Political Conflict

Inalienable (Unalienable) Rights

Premises of the Declaration of Independence and Constitution

The three main authors of the Federalist Papers?

Fear about majority rule

What is the most important question involving democracy?

Views of Philosophers:
Locke

Montesquieu

Grants of power and denials of power in the Constitution (ie: The writ of habeus corpus prohibits the government from doing what?)

Landmark Court Cases: What did they establish or what precedent set?
Marbury v Madison

McCullough v Maryland

Federalism (plus dual and cooperative federalism): Definition and arguments in favor of federalism

Judicial Review

Enumerated (Expressed), and Implied powers (in general)

What states can and cannot do (ie: can’t print money but can provide for law and order)

Supremacy Clause, “Necessary and Proper Clause”(“elastic”), Establishment Clause

Devolution

Number of members of US House and Senate:

Chapter 12:

Requirements for being elected President of U.S.:

Approval of Presidential appointments and treaties:

Whig Theory

Stewardship Theory

What determines the number of electoral votes of each state?

The President can be impeached by ________, but _________conducts the trial?

“Two Presidencies Thesis”

Which President warned of the Military-Industrial Complex in his farewell address in 1961?

When and between whom were the first televised debates?

Miss Kitty
02-19-2006, 02:44 PM
Lonny is a Political Science major. He will help you.

SeguinMatadors
02-19-2006, 02:48 PM
Lonny is a Political Science major. He will help you.

lol.. things must be moving fast.. you are already voluntering Lonnys time to me... I knew I liked you.:D

Miss Kitty
02-19-2006, 02:59 PM
Awwwww thanks

lonny23
02-19-2006, 03:02 PM
lol.. things must be moving fast.. you are already voluntering Lonnys time to me... I knew I liked you.:D
She told me on the phone. Farmer is good, but I don't know if he'll be around today. I might call him.

SeguinMatadors
02-19-2006, 03:05 PM
Politics does not strike my fancy attt alll. I love history but can't stay awake through politics. Economics is a bore, too.

Miss Kitty
02-19-2006, 03:07 PM
I would fall asleep too. YUCK!!

GoOwls
02-19-2006, 04:36 PM
So I have this politics test tommorow and I have skipped that class a few times and haven't done all of my readings... I do have a review though... I am going to have to go through about 300 pages (Asigned reading in 2 weeks:eek: ) tonight and find some of these answers but.... anyone out there into politics or a politics major that can answer some of these questions??!?!!

Review for Exam I (Chapters 1-3, 12)
POL 1013, MA
Political Culture

National Identity

Two roots of Political Conflict

Inalienable (Unalienable) Rights

Premises of the Declaration of Independence and Constitution

The three main authors of the Federalist Papers?

Fear about majority rule

What is the most important question involving democracy?

Views of Philosophers:
Locke

Montesquieu

Grants of power and denials of power in the Constitution (ie: The writ of habeus corpus prohibits the government from doing what?)

Landmark Court Cases: What did they establish or what precedent set?
Marbury v Madison

McCullough v Maryland

Federalism (plus dual and cooperative federalism): Definition and arguments in favor of federalism

Judicial Review

Enumerated (Expressed), and Implied powers (in general)

What states can and cannot do (ie: can’t print money but can provide for law and order)

Supremacy Clause, “Necessary and Proper Clause”(“elastic”), Establishment Clause

Devolution

Number of members of US House and Senate:

Chapter 12:

Requirements for being elected President of U.S.:

Approval of Presidential appointments and treaties:

Whig Theory

Stewardship Theory

What determines the number of electoral votes of each state?

The President can be impeached by ________, but _________conducts the trial?

“Two Presidencies Thesis”

Which President warned of the Military-Industrial Complex in his farewell address in 1961?

When and between whom were the first televised debates?

The debates, 1960, John Kennedy and Richard Nixon.

1961 farewell addy, Dwight Eisenhower.

Impeached? I think Congrees impeaches and the Senate runs it, or vice versa, I don't remember. Should be easy to find.

Electoral votes determined every 10 years by population.

Requiremments to be The Prez, 35 years old, natural born citizen, no felonies.......may be more but that's what I remember.

The number of members of the House is also determined by population, but by a different formula than electoral votes. Each state, no matter how much the population, has 2 Senators.

Devolution or home rule is the granting of powers from central government to government at regional or local level.

Enumerated powers is a term referring to Article 1 Section 8 of the United States Constitution which lists the specific powers of legislation granted to the United States Congress. The concept of enumerated powers implies that the legislature may exercise only those powers that are stated in the Constitution, limited, of course, by the Bill of Rights and the other protections found in the Constitutional text.

Implied powers which allowed the Federal government to pass laws not expressly provided for in the Constitution's list of enumerated powers as long as they are in useful furtherance of those powers.

Federalist Papers authors were James Madison, Alexander Hamilton, and John Jay, under the pseudonym "Publius," in honor of Roman consul Publius Valerius Publicola.

The term inalienable rights (or unalienable rights) refers to a set of human rights that are absolute, not awarded by human power, not transferable to another power, and incapable of repudiation. Several different sets of inalienable rights have been suggested by philosophers and politicians.

I gotta go right now, I hope this helps.

SeguinMatadors
02-19-2006, 07:19 PM
Thanks GoOwls... I really appreciate your help!

lonny23
02-19-2006, 08:24 PM
Seguin,

I haven't looked at this stuff in a long time, but I'll do my best. You can get most of this stuff off of the internet.

National Identity- That's stuff like the flag, the eagle, monuments, parades, and such. People develop loyalty to the nation and its sovereignity. The result is patriotism, going to war, cheering for the U.S, in the Olympics, etc.

Two roots of Political Conflict- I don't know the answer they want, but I'm going to say ideology differences and the normal power struggles.

Inalienable (Unalienable) Rights- The most basic human rights that they can't take from you like life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Premises of the Declaration of Independence and Constitution- They wanted to create a ntion of individualism and freedom in both documents. They wanted less government control over our daily lives (but have constantly reversed that in recent years).

Fear about majority rule- If I'm on the right track, it's the way they set up the Senate (2 from each state) to keep the big states from directing everything for the country. They did still allow for the large states to have more reps in the House.

Judicial Review- That's the power granted to courts where they can review court cases at lower levels and potentially reverse previous rulings. The Supreme Court sometimes utilizes this in cases that have national impact.

Enumerated (Expressed) and Implied powers (in general)- Those powers specifically granted in the Constitution are enumerated and those powers that are reasonably acceptable for the office are implied.

What states can and cannot do (ie: can’t print money but can provide for law and order)- They can't make treaties, but they can provide a militia (National Guard). There are many others.

Number of members of US House and Senate- 435 in House 100 in Senate.

Requirements for being elected President of U.S.- U.S. born and citizen of U.S. and 35 years old. There are other requirements.

Approval of Presidential appointments and treaties- The Senate

What determines the number of electoral votes of each state?- It's one for each Senator and Representative, plus 3 for Washington, D.C. They reallocate the # of Representatives every 10 years based upon the Census.

The President can be impeached by ________, but _________conducts the trial?- House of Represenatives and Senate.

Which President warned of the Military-Industrial Complex in his farewell address in 1961?- Dwight David Eisenhower.

When and between whom were the first televised debates?- John F. Kennedy and Richard Nixon. Kennedy's youth and good looks helped generate many votes for JFK.

lonny23
02-19-2006, 08:25 PM
Seguin, it's Kitty's fault. She kept me on the phone too long (not that I mind!):D

SeguinMatadors
02-19-2006, 08:36 PM
Seguin, it's Kitty's fault. She kept me on the phone too long (not that I mind!):D

lol.. it is cool... thanks a bunch Lonny... I appreciate all of your help.!:)

Rerun
02-19-2006, 08:43 PM
Good luck on the test tomorrow.

Sincerely,

Texas Headliner
5A Texas Football.com Community Veteran

Miss Kitty
02-19-2006, 08:44 PM
HEY TH, you got your title back. Congrats

lonny23
02-19-2006, 08:45 PM

Sincerely,

Texas Headliner
2000 never PM'd me back. How did you lose it? I just figured it was an accidental button push.

Rerun
02-19-2006, 08:46 PM
Yes, indeed I have.

I am elated.

Thanks so much to the powers that be here at 5ATXFB.

I was feeling, well, uncertain for the 4 hours that my title was missing.

Thanks, Katy2000 and/or Katychamp1997.

lonny23
02-19-2006, 08:46 PM
HEY TH, you got your title back. Congrats
I'm leaving in a little while. I can always have the game on at work and I don't have that picture yet.

Rerun
02-19-2006, 08:47 PM
2000 never PM'd me back. How did you lose it? I just figured it was an accidental button push.

Lonny, I do not know.

Perhaps it was accidental and perhaps it was not.

Maybe katy2000 can come in this thread later and clarify for all of us that are curious.

lonny23
02-19-2006, 08:52 PM
Lonny, I do not know.

Perhaps it was accidental and perhaps it was not.

Maybe katy2000 can come in this thread later and clarify for all of us that are curious.
It's not hard to do because he accidentally deleted the Superbracket forum instead of hiding it yesterday. All it takes is clicking off of a custom title for you and you're back to whatever matches your post count.

Miss Kitty
02-19-2006, 08:54 PM
I'm leaving in a little while. I can always have the game on at work and I don't have that picture yet.

You mean you are not watching Ice Dancing. LOL :D

SeguinMatadors
02-19-2006, 09:02 PM
Thanks again to Go Owls and Lonny ( and Miss Kitty for having initiating Lonnys help:p )... I really appreciate it... I got pretty much all of the answers now... I will google the rest. You guys know your stuff.... as I read... I remembered my prof. saying that stuff in class.

SeguinMatadors
02-19-2006, 09:03 PM

Sincerely,

Texas Headliner

Thanks dude... congrats on your title back.. I am about to be all galaxy!:)

lonny23
02-19-2006, 09:03 PM
You mean you are not watching Ice Dancing. LOL :D
I'm trying to ignore some clown singing at halftime. I halfway paid attention to Carrie Underwood, but blondes always get my attention!:D

I was even a good boy and didn't give Destiny's Child my undivided attention for the National Anthem!:D

dragons08
02-19-2006, 09:40 PM
sucks dude sucks..a test 2morrow..i have ahhhh i have no idea 2morrow

slorch
02-19-2006, 09:42 PM
politics test= lie detector

dragons08
02-19-2006, 09:42 PM
say what now?

BigArab
02-19-2006, 09:43 PM
I know my politics as well if you need anymore help.

slorch
02-19-2006, 09:45 PM
it was supposed to be funny. I guess that was the thud I heard. Sorry if anyone got hurt...:p
(if you lie well enough, you get to be a politician

dragons08
02-19-2006, 09:45 PM
i should be a politics teacher, brainwash the kids that Dragons08 runs the world :D

sidenote, if i need help in pre-cal (got a test later this week, kind of fuzzy on most of the stuff) will any of you guys be able to help?

dragons08
02-19-2006, 09:46 PM
it was supposed to be funny. I guess that was the thud I heard. Sorry if anyone got hurt...:p
yeah you pretty much crashed and burned, but redeemd it with this last joke right there

BigArab
02-19-2006, 09:51 PM
i should be a politics teacher, brainwash the kids that Dragons08 runs the world :D

sidenote, if i need help in pre-cal (got a test later this week, kind of fuzzy on most of the stuff) will any of you guys be able to help?

I would do my best. I can't promise anything. I haven't looked at anthing with the word calculus in 15 years, but I'll give it a shot. I did well in it.

dragons08
02-19-2006, 09:52 PM
I would do my best. I can't promise anything. I haven't looked at anthing with the word calculus in 15 years, but I'll give it a shot. I did well in it.
thanks man, i can do it when i do my hw, i'll get 100's on it..then iget the quizzes, and just bomb them, i dont know why though, its weird

SeguinMatadors
02-19-2006, 09:56 PM
thanks man, i can do it when i do my hw, i'll get 100's on it..then iget the quizzes, and just bomb them, i dont know why though, its weird

I am the exact opposite... all through HS I would get 70's on my daily work (mainly because I was lazy and copied other peoples) and then get 104 on my test. I remember in Algebra 2 my daily average was an 82 and my Test average was a 103... thank goodness the test out-weighed the daily work.

dragons08
02-19-2006, 09:58 PM
I am the exact opposite... all through HS I would get 70's on my daily work (mainly because I was lazy and copied other peoples) and then get 104 on my test. I remember in Algebra 2 my daily average was an 82 and my Test average was a 103... thank goodness the test out-weighed the daily work.
see the hw is a lot easier than the quizzes...the quizzes are supposed to 'challenge us and make us think'...i do my hw right before class, or in other classes, and i know that all..its pretty weird

slorch
02-19-2006, 10:00 PM
I now name you "AI", as in, 'you're talking about PRACTICE, man!!!"

guess you're a gamer...

SeguinMatadors
02-19-2006, 10:08 PM
I now name you "AI", as in, 'you're talking about PRACTICE, man!!!"

guess you're a gamer...

LMFAO! Funny you mention that... a few times I got into it with my teacher... kinda immature but....

One time my teacher caught me copying another guys work and gave me a 0.... I was like "Why would you go and do that? What does it matter? What is the point of homework? Practive.. right? Well, I consistently make the highest grade in all of your classes on the test... I don't need homework."

Similar stuff was said when I got awoke from my class by a really rude teacher while sleeping...

I feel bad about that stuff now.

mtbray
02-20-2006, 01:42 AM
SeguinMatadors be happy you even have a review. Last week I had a test in Latin American Government and Politics, which like yours was over several hundred pages of reading and lectures, but wasn't given any kind of study guide help. Not only that but this was the same day as a quiz and oral presentation both in Portuguese, and the following day I had a test in Accounting and Troy Kimmel's Meteorology class! Needless to say this weekend consisted of my bed and hangovers.