PDA

View Full Version : Want to study language on an airplane? That's a handcuffin'.

Firebird
02-12-2010, 09:57 AM
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20100210_Daniel_Rubin__TSA_suspicious_of_an_intere st_in_the_world.html

You have something written in the language the terrorists speak!

He was asked if he knew who "did 9/11."

He answered, Osama bin Laden.

Then he was asked, "Do you know what language he spoke?"

George answered, Arabic."

The supervisor then held up his flash cards. "Do you see why these cards are suspicious?"
To George, they weren't suspicious at all. He was using them to translate Al Jazeera, whose coverage in Arabic he considers critical to understanding America's place in the world. The 200 cards included words for "terrorist" and "explosion," George said. His interest in the Middle East came not from 9/11 but from watching Lawrence of Arabia with his father, Paul George, a Philadelphia attorney and former public defender.

And don't you dare alter your apperance from the photo in the state-issued ID you carry, either. Leviathan does not like it when you do this.

Neither the TSA nor the Philadelphia Police would comment yesterday, given that legal action was pending. But in a September Daily News column, TSA spokeswoman Ann Davis said behavioral-detection officers had selected the student for screening even before the flash cards were discovered. Those officers are trained to look for "involuntary physical and physiological reactions that people exhibit in response to a fear of being discovered," she said.

George says he cannot imagine what they mean - he was calm.

A police official, meanwhile, was quoted as saying it was George's ID in Arabic that caught their attention - from his Jordanian studies - and police were suspicious that the student's hair was shorter that day than it was in his Pennsylvania driver's license photo. "That," Lt. Louis Liberati said, is "an indication sometimes that somebody may have gone through a radicalization."

TulsaHale74
02-12-2010, 10:26 AM
After looking at his photograph, I can see the TSA wasn't racial profiling. Good for them.

I wonder how many people see his photograph and assume that's it's obvious he's not a terrorist based upon his appearance - which IS racial profiling - and then berating the TSA for not doing the same.

Firebird
02-12-2010, 10:31 AM
After looking at his photograph, I can see the TSA wasn't racial profiling. Good for them.

I wonder how many people see his photograph and assume that's it's obvious he's not a terrorist based upon his appearance - which IS racial profiling - and then berating the TSA for not doing the same.

Fewer than think people use flash cards and a DL photo as justification for detaining someone at the airport are freaking idiots.

Brave TSA public servants doing their job, keeping you safe from people with Arabic language flash cards. They might have been terrorist motivational slogans!

TulsaHale74
02-12-2010, 11:31 AM
"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

George Carlin.

TulsaHale74
02-16-2010, 07:32 PM
Did you hear about the Camden cop whose disabled son wasn't allowed to pass through airport security unless he took off his leg braces?

Another story by Daniel Rubin.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/home_region/20100215_Daniel_Rubin__Another_case_of_TSA_overkil l.html

mad_fan
02-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Did you hear about the Camden cop whose disabled son wasn't allowed to pass through airport security unless he took off his leg braces?

Another story by Daniel Rubin.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/home_region/20100215_Daniel_Rubin__Another_case_of_TSA_overkil l.html

TSA workers are f*****...
They operate with fluid rules...in an environment of irritated passengers...and son't get to make a mistake...
Lucky for us...the bad guys get to hear about all the irrational s*** the TSA workers envision...

ktCarl
02-16-2010, 09:12 PM
Fewer than think people use flash cards and a DL photo as justification for detaining someone at the airport are freaking idiots.

Brave TSA public servants doing their job, keeping you safe from people with Arabic language flash cards. They might have been terrorist motivational slogans!

In the right hands those cards could be used to slit someone's throat. Think about it.

Point Made...
02-16-2010, 09:30 PM
The poor sap should be glad he wasn't flying Southwest...He might have been over the weight limit (and forced to buy 2 seats)...talk about getting screwed. :rolleyes:

BDB
02-16-2010, 11:33 PM
body scan 'em.

Pinion
02-17-2010, 10:13 AM
body scan 'em.

exactly! That would have proved he had no weapons and was no threat. And we would be talking about other stuff.

Point Made...
02-17-2010, 10:32 AM
body scan 'em.

exactly! That would have proved he had no weapons and was no threat. And we would be talking about other stuff.

Nah...with his luck, the TSA misfits would have posed the obvious question...

"Sir, is that a weapon in your pants or are you just happy to be flying Southwest?"...:rolleyes:

cougmantx
02-17-2010, 12:04 PM
Is it just me or does it appear to any others that you can get arrested for anything now a days. I mean really, sneeze in the wrong place, give a cop a look that they don't like, study a foriegn language on a plane, crap in the woods or just about anything else.

Firebird
02-17-2010, 12:07 PM
Is it just me or does it appear to any others that you can get arrested for anything now a days. I mean really, sneeze in the wrong place, give a cop a look that they don't like, study a foriegn language on a plane, crap in the woods or just about anything else.

That's what "fluid" rules means.

mad_fan
02-17-2010, 02:03 PM
Is it just me or does it appear to any others that you can get arrested for anything now a days.

It's not just you...I said the same thing 25 years ago...

mad_fan
02-17-2010, 02:05 PM

Like how we can't scan them...in that other thread...
:rolleyes:

Pinion
02-17-2010, 02:21 PM
Like how we can't scan them...in that other thread...
:rolleyes:

yeah.
if we were scanning everyone and saying "f-u" to those that it offends, then this would have never happened.

Or at least in theory it wouldnt have. you do have to take an innocent member of society out once in a while and make an example of them. that keeps everyone else on their toes.

It's always been that way, but lack of media prevented us from hearing so much about it and being able to talk about it as much.

the_phoenix612
02-17-2010, 02:41 PM
yeah.
if we were scanning everyone and saying "f-u" to those that it offends, then this would have never happened.

Or at least in theory it wouldnt have. you do have to take an innocent member of society out once in a while and make an example of them. that keeps everyone else on their toes.

It's always been that way, but lack of media prevented us from hearing so much about it and being able to talk about it as much.
body scanners wouldn't have caught the underwear bomber.

your point=failed.

Firebird
02-17-2010, 02:54 PM

your point=failed.

Yeah,but they would have caught concealed razor edge flash cards with Arabic terror slogans written on them.

Pinion
02-17-2010, 02:56 PM

your point=failed.

No method of protection is 100% effective, that's why you're here.

let go of the underwear bomber thing already. No, there is no way to catch each and every single sociopath out there. That's just not possible, and you know this. So you pick one bloody incident and use it to try and forward your agenda.

I'll help you out here. Had Germany won WWII we wouldn't have to worry about any of this. I mean, had the underwear bomber been a "nature boy" he wouldn't have even thought to try. Had his daddy hugged him more, he might would have took a different turn in life.

the_phoenix612
02-17-2010, 03:12 PM
No method of protection is 100% effective, that's why you're here.

let go of the underwear bomber thing already. No, there is no way to catch each and every single sociopath out there. That's just not possible, and you know this. So you pick one bloody incident and use it to try and forward your agenda.

I'll help you out here. Had Germany won WWII we wouldn't have to worry about any of this. I mean, had the underwear bomber been a "nature boy" he wouldn't have even thought to try. Had his daddy hugged him more, he might would have took a different turn in life.
sigh.

stop holding up body scanning as if it is a catch-all panacea for airport security. It's misleading and incorrect.

Pinion
02-17-2010, 03:24 PM
sigh.

stop holding up body scanning as if it is a catch-all panacea for airport security. It's misleading and incorrect.

I'm not.
I said that no method is 100% effective. So there is nothing misleading and incorrect.

It tickles me that you claim I said something and will keep saying that I said it and just assume that your repeating it will make it true. That's typical for a liberal. But scroll back and see where I said "no method is 100% effective". That should clear it right up.

the_phoenix612
02-17-2010, 03:30 PM
I'm not.
I said that no method is 100% effective. So there is nothing misleading and incorrect.

It tickles me that you claim I said something and will keep saying that I said it and just assume that your repeating it will make it true. That's typical for a liberal. But scroll back and see where I said "no method is 100% effective". That should clear it right up.

Hmm.

body scan 'em.exactly! That would have proved he had no weapons and was no threat. And we would be talking about other stuff.

yeah.

1) Body scans will prove you have no weapons and are no threat
2) If we scan everyone, we will not have issues.

Sure seems like you're claiming body scanning as a panacea.

Pinion
02-17-2010, 03:36 PM
Hmm.

1) Body scans will prove you have no weapons and are no threat
2) If we scan everyone, we will not have issues.

Sure seems like you're claiming body scanning as a panacea.

Were you dropped on your head as a child?
I mentioned the scanners once.
Then on post 19 (the 2nd time) I said that no method is 100% effective.

You said your crap about me being misleading after I'd just stated in post 19 that no method is 100% effective.

Either you have reading comprehension problems are you just get your jollies off being a pr:Censor:k.

Either way.
Let me restate my stand on the matter for those that might have issues understanding English.

I think airports using body scanners are a good idea (not great, but good). I think it's better than anything else we've had thus far.
And... NO method is 100% effective.

the_phoenix612
02-17-2010, 03:39 PM
Were you dropped on your head as a child?
I mentioned the scanners once.
Then on post 19 (the 2nd time) I said that no method is 100% effective.

You said your crap about me being misleading after I'd just stated in post 19 that no method is 100% effective.

Either you have reading comprehension problems are you just get your jollies off being a pr:Censor:k.

Either way.
Let me restate my stand on the matter for those that might have issues understanding English.

I think airports using body scanners are a good idea (not great, but good). I think it's better than anything else we've had thus far.
And... NO method is 100% effective.
So in one breath you're saying we need to be more strict on screening (and BDB was trolling, btw) and in the next saying people getting through is unavoidable.

and you think I was dropped as a child....

mad_fan
02-17-2010, 03:55 PM
So in one breath you're saying we need to be more strict on screening (and BDB was trolling, btw) and in the next saying people getting through is unavoidable.

I favor unionizing the TSA and giving up on technology to solve the problem...if there is a problem...

Pinion
02-17-2010, 03:56 PM

No.
We need to be screening. It's the most effective method. It's not 100%, nothing is. Other than not having airplanes.

It's better than nothing and better than what we've been doing. It's a pretty simple concept for those capable of rational thinking.

mad_fan
02-17-2010, 04:01 PM
What would the Jews do???