PDA

View Full Version : Powerhouse Teams…What makes a true powerhouse?

Point Made...
02-05-2010, 10:58 AM
The question (asked by Jagdad07) of "What was the greatest signing class ever?" made me start thinking of the obvious...

Why didn't the 88-89 team of Dallas Carter have more success if they were such a talented team?...and why do certain programs have the success of winning (year-after-year), while those that had/have the most "physical" talent continue to exit early and/or never have continued success...

IMO the 2 things that become a major factor in building a great powerhouse...and not just a great team :

1. It seems that the great teams usually rely a lot more on their "physical" talent, exaggerated egos and past accomplishments (that probably don’t carry any weight) to carry them through another season…

2. The powerhouse programs also have the physical talent...but they breakdown the mental details/aspects of the game as well. I’m sure the egos are aplenty there as well…the difference is that those egos are usually kept in check to accomplish the overall goal at hand.

It's always the powerhouses (SLC, Allen, Trinity, Katy etc...) that continue to build on the winning tradition of championships instead of relying on the past for motivation (although when you've won as many championships as these programs have, it's not hard to be motivated year-after-year)...

My last thoughts...I truly believe that all of this starts from the top...be it negative or positive...it will reflect on the product put on the field.

Thoughts?

da hawaiian
02-05-2010, 11:09 AM
There is an element of luck involved in winning it all. Statechampionships always involve a healthy amount of good fortune. Sometimes a favorable draw, bounce, no call, etc

powerofthehaka
02-05-2010, 12:34 PM
Coaching. Period.

Pinion
02-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Coaching. Period.

I agree with this. All the talent in the world wont help if the coach sucks. Look at the Dallas Cowboys.

Maroondog
02-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Coaching. Period.

This. Good coaching at the high school level can more than make up for a shortage of natural talent.

SLC
02-05-2010, 01:28 PM
I've posted this before and will do so again...

1. Coaching
2. Kids with a desire to succeed
3. Health
4. Depth
5. Luck
6. Talent
7. Tradition

At the high school level there is no position more important than that of the head coach and his assistants. Period.

After that give me kids dedicated to playing within a team concept at all times, who have the desire to succeed and are fired up to be coached to be their very best > Raw talent anyday of the week.

Point Made...
02-05-2010, 02:00 PM
Coaching. Period.

I strongly believe that as well...If the HC has an negative attitude (or exaggerated ego) that makes up his personality...then that same attitude/ego becomes a tumor for the rest of the program.

And it doesn't matter how much TALENT that team may have...other teams, with excellent coaching, will always find a way to beat that talent.

AHSeagles
02-05-2010, 03:25 PM

1a. Coaching
1b. Kids with a desire to succeed
3. Health
4. Depth
5. Luck
6. Talent
7. Tradition

fify.

I think those first two things go hand in hand. Good coaching instills that deep desire to win in their players year in and year out. Good coaching will keep teams in games they should be over matched in, and that burning desire to win is what pushes those teams over the top to beating the teams they shouldn't.

Trojanalum693
02-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Yes I agree coaching has a lot to do with it. Also offseason makes a big difference as well. How well players work out, and how hard they are pushed affects how mentally tough they will be during the season. Mental toughness has a lot to do with winning. When you are down you just dont give up you keep on fighting until the end.

Empire strikes back
02-05-2010, 03:37 PM
The question (asked by Jagdad07) of "What was the greatest signing class ever?" made me start thinking of the obvious...

Why didn't the 88-89 team of Dallas Carter have more success if they were such a talented team?...and why do certain programs have the success of winning (year-after-year), while those that had/have the most "physical" talent continue to exit early and/or never have continued success...

IMO the 2 things that become a major factor in building a great powerhouse...and not just a great team :

1. It seems that the great teams usually rely a lot more on their "physical" talent, exaggerated egos and past accomplishments (that probably don’t carry any weight) to carry them through another season…

2. The powerhouse programs also have the physical talent...but they breakdown the mental details/aspects of the game as well. I’m sure the egos are aplenty there as well…the difference is that those egos are usually kept in check to accomplish the overall goal at hand.

It's always the powerhouses (SLC, Allen, Trinity, Katy etc...) that continue to build on the winning tradition of championships instead of relying on the past for motivation (although when you've won as many championships as these programs have, it's not hard to be motivated year-after-year)...

My last thoughts...I truly believe that all of this starts from the top...be it negative or positive...it will reflect on the product put on the field.

Thoughts?

You have great points, but dont forget, there will be a time when a team (powerhouse) will rise and dominate over a period of time and then fall. Take Permian for example; Permian dominated from 1965-1998 but look what happened in 1999-2005, it wasn't pretty (srry MOJO Nation) and then it will have to rebuild it's luster. I'm pretty sure there are other teams in West Texas besides Permian that can have an input on this to; Lubbock, Amarillo, Abilene or Sugar Land in Houston and etc...

E-Vol-ution
02-05-2010, 03:37 PM
I believe good feeder programs are a part of it too.
Let them buy in early......and have a small sample of the style of play that will be theirs.

Point Made...
02-05-2010, 03:42 PM
You have great points, but dont forget, there will be a time when a team (powerhouse) will rise and dominate over a period of time and then fall. Take Permian for example; Permian dominated from 1965-1998 but look what happened in 1999-2005, it wasn't pretty (srry MOJO Nation) and then it will have to rebuild it's luster. I'm pretty sure there were other teams in West Texas besides Permian that can have an input on this to; Lubbock, Amarillo, Abilene or Sugar Land in Houston and etc...

Very good point...

Trojanalum693
02-05-2010, 03:55 PM

Thoughts?

Powerhouses rise and fall throughout time. Nobody can be on top forever that is impossible. Fans get used to winning so they just expect it and when their program starts losing they call for the coach to be fired. I think that is just wrong.

abilenefan
02-05-2010, 05:10 PM
You have great points, but dont forget, there will be a time when a team (powerhouse) will rise and dominate over a period of time and then fall. Take Permian for example; Permian dominated from 1965-1998 but look what happened in 1999-2005, it wasn't pretty (srry MOJO Nation) and then it will have to rebuild it's luster. I'm pretty sure there are other teams in West Texas besides Permian that can have an input on this to; Lubbock, Amarillo, Abilene or Sugar Land in Houston and etc...

An in depth look at what Warren has done at AHS is what it takes. That and about 13 years when u are at the bottom.

xray10
02-05-2010, 05:16 PM
a couple fast bros and presto a state championship.

maxtor
02-05-2010, 05:41 PM
What makes a powerhouse? Coaching? Talent? This is like saying that oxygen is more important than fuel for making fire.
You have to have ALL the elements for a powerhouse team.:)

maxtor
02-05-2010, 05:41 PM
An in depth look at what Warren has done at AHS is what it takes. That and about 13 years when u are at the bottom.

:laugh

mojotrain
02-05-2010, 09:43 PM
coaching. Period.

this!

mad_fan
02-05-2010, 09:45 PM

1. Coaching
2. Kids with a desire to succeed
3. Health
4. Depth
5. Luck
6. Talent
7. Tradition

Being a good #1 involves knowing when to pull #2 so they can be #3 and letting #4 play...
Except in the NFL...where you must go for the perfect season...

Trinity Alum
02-05-2010, 10:50 PM
I agree with this. All the talent in the world wont help if the coach sucks. Look at the Dallas Cowboys.

:laugh:notworthy

GoOwls
02-06-2010, 12:41 AM

Thoughts?

Exactly how many championships has Allen won with all that talent?

Garland has put 142 kids in college the last 10 years, only one title....why?

The coach at Cedar Hill is seen as a coaching God now, but he put 19 kids in college last this year and God knows how many over the last 5 years....one title...why?

Skyline has talent out the wazoo...year after year....no titles...not even close....why?

Coaching....period....coaching.

C130Eagle
02-06-2010, 01:26 AM
This. Good coaching at the high school level can more than make up for a shortage of natural talent.

If you have a great coach, then he will be able to bring the desire out of the players. A great coach can win the game regardless of how the other team is playing or what calls are made by the officiating team. It all comes down to a coach with great leadership abilities.

Point Made...
02-06-2010, 12:17 PM
If you have a great coach, then he will be able to bring the desire out of the players. A great coach can win the game regardless of how the other team is playing or what calls are made by the officiating team. It all comes down to a coach with great leadership abilities.

I think I speak for everyone @ SP...THANK GOD WE HAVE CHESSHER!...:notworthy

trojanbacker
02-06-2010, 03:07 PM
I would throw community support in the mix, as well. Seems like all the powerhouse programs have great community support, win or lose.