PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Comebacks

Slim-Rob
02-09-2006, 08:42 PM
I know this has been posted before but I searched and could not find it. I was looking through Judson's records from previous years, when I noticed the 1996 Bi-District Judson vs Bowie. Judson was down 31-0 in the mid 3rd quarter and came back to win 32-31. Thats great coaching and it shows a lot of heart to me. My bro was on that team, I'm gonna ask him what it was like to overcome that deficit, and why they got down that far to begin with.

ACM Dad
02-09-2006, 08:59 PM
Consol had two regular season comeback wins last year that blew me away. But, not 31 points. That's got to be a tough game to lose.

Mad Hatter
02-09-2006, 09:00 PM
hmm

1: Judson vs Bowie 1998, 31 points down u come back to win nuff said.
2: Plano East vs Tyler. bought the game on dvd kids proved why u dont quit.
3: Judson vs Midland 2002, state title on the line imo the greatest state championship in 10 years.

Slim-Rob
02-09-2006, 09:07 PM
hmm

1: Judson vs Bowie 1998, 31 points down u come back to win nuff said.
2: Plano vs Tyler Lee. bought the game on dvd kids proved why u dont quit.
3: Judson vs Midland 2002, state title on the line imo the greatest state championship in 10 years.

2002 Division I State Championship: Converse Judson 33 Midland 32
Incredible. Judson came into this one as the savvy championship game veteran, as usual, against the new kid on the block in Midland. Midland had not made the playoffs in over 50 years prior to the 2002 season, and found themselves facing the definition of championship football in Judson. This game started modestly with both teams trading jabs. However, Midland QB Ryan Rowland led his team on a textbook drive to take a 32-26 lead with 30 seconds remaining in the game. Then, in one of the most unlikely plays in the history of 5A football, Rocket QB Dustin Quinney dropped back and hit a streaking Andre Williams for a 76 yard touchdown to win the game.

savvy is a cool word. What other word has 2 v's right next to each other?

Mad Hatter
02-09-2006, 09:14 PM

i got chills reading about that game again.

wide-e-wide
02-09-2006, 09:16 PM

skivvies???

Mad Hatter
02-09-2006, 09:21 PM
lol skivvies.

Slim-Rob
02-09-2006, 09:25 PM
skivvies???

lol. I was just being amazed.

Mad, everytime I read that I get chills. To think everyone was leaving. It was fun yelling at them to come back from on top of my seat at the Alamodome.

Slim-Rob
02-09-2006, 09:26 PM
skivvies???

What other word has 2 v's back to back AND an A?

Lobo Dude
02-09-2006, 09:27 PM
Dang.. no ones mentioned the 1994 JT-Plano East game yet..

Mad Hatter
02-09-2006, 09:29 PM
fixed mine thats what my number 2 was i just gt the teams mixed up :p

Slim-Rob
02-09-2006, 09:29 PM
Dang.. no ones mentioned the 1994 JT-Plano East game yet..

You did. What happend though?

Drake
02-09-2006, 09:31 PM
I know this has been posted before but I searched and could not find it. I was looking through Judson's records from previous years, when I noticed the 1996 Bi-District Judson vs Bowie. Judson was down 31-0 in the mid 3rd quarter and came back to win 32-31. Thats great coaching and it shows a lot of heart to me. My bro was on that team, I'm gonna ask him what it was like to overcome that deficit, and why they got down that far to begin with.Any recaps of this game on the internet anywhere?

Mad Hatter
02-09-2006, 09:34 PM
'Gosh o'mighty Joe Friday!'

Local trio still resonates with fans 9 years after classic playoff broadcast

11:11 AM CST on Thursday, November 20, 2003

By DAVID McNABB / The Dallas Morning News

Eddy Clinton has his obituary pictured in his mind. He knows how he'll be remembered.

"I'll be one of the guys that broadcast that crazy Texas high school playoff game," Clinton said. "I still can't believe it was nearly 10 years ago. People come up to me all the time and talk like the game was last week."

Clinton and broadcast partners Denny Garver and Mike Zoffuto have etched themselves in Texas state football playoff lore. They did a local cable broadcast of the 1994 Class 5A playoff game between Plano East and Tyler John Tyler, and their colorful, impulsive commentary during an implausible comeback has been replayed many times around the country.

None is involved with sports broadcasting today, but Clinton is working on a retrospective 10-year anniversary tape with ESPN that will come out next year. His day job is as an outdoor advertising salesman. Garver still is a Plano postman, as he was nine years ago, and Zoffuto is coach at W.T. White High School.

All say it's not uncommon for the game to be brought up in conversations these days. It was an uncommon game.

Plano East scored 27 points in the final 2:33 to take the lead with 24 seconds remaining, only to lose when its final kickoff was returned for the winning touchdown in Tyler's 48-44 victory.

Tyler went on to win the Class 5A Division II state title defeating Zoffuto's Lake Highlands team the next week. Zoffuto agreed to do the broadcast knowing his team would play the winner.

Tyler appeared to have its game with Plano East in hand heading into the final three minutes. But during Plano East's rally and its recovery of a third consecutive onside kick, Garver exclaimed:

"They got it again! They got it again! ... This is unbelievable. ... Good gosh o'mighty Joe Friday! Somebody give me something. I'm gonna die!"

As Tyler retook the lead on the 97-yard kickoff return with 11 seconds left, Zoffuto was in agony for the Plano East players:

"Oh no! Oh no! Oh no! Oh my gosh, no! Come on! No! No! Gosh. God bless those kids. I am sick. I want to throw up."

In the ensuing weeks, the game tape was played on sportscasts throughout the country, and Garver and Clinton appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. The trio even received an ESPY award from ESPN.

In 1999, Garver and Clinton played game announcers in the movie Varsity Blues, starring Jon Voight, who heard the tape and recommended them for the roles.

But Clinton also remembers just scrambling to get a crew together to work the game.

"We had a director, producer, two cameramen and us," Clinton said. "One cameraman was in his first year of doing games. As sports people have seen the tape, they can't believe we only had two cameramen, but they got it all."

Even as Clinton, Garver and Zoffuto got together at Texas Stadium during the state playoffs last week for a picture, people still wanted to talk to them about the Plano East-Tyler game.

"If you listen to the game, I start talking about a touchdown when the kid [Tyler's Roderick Dunn] is on about the 20," Zoffuto said. "I could see it developing and what was going to happen. I really felt bad for those kids and it just came out. I talked right on top of the play-by-play, and that's against all the [broadcast] rules. It just came out of my mouth. You could tell that it wasn't something rehearsed."

And nine years later, it certainly isn't something that has been forgotten.

.... after i watched that game i felt sick lol.

Slim-Rob
02-09-2006, 09:34 PM
This is an odd post... Your brother was on the team and you didn't know about the game until you ran across it in some Judson record books? If you're perusing Judson records in February you're obviously a big Judson fan but you've never spoken with your brother about this game before? If it was great coaching that led to the comeback, where was the great coaching for the first 2 1/2 quarters of play, and for that matter, where was the heart? Did the coaches arrive late... get caught in traffic or something? And since Bowie collapsed, were they without heart?

I knew about the game, and I was there but I was 7 years old. I was looking through the previous Judson years and I saw this game. I have spoken to my brother about the 95 state championship, and the 96 state loss, but thats about it. He doesn't play football anymore so we don't really talk about it much.

Slim-Rob
02-09-2006, 09:36 PM
1994 Division II Region 2 semifinal: John Tyler-48 Plano East-44
This is quite possibly the greatest high school football game ever played in Texas. Plano East was down 41-17 after the Lions returned two fumbles for touchdowns courtesy of Mark Broyles and David Warren. PESH wouldn't give as they completely erased that deficit to take a 44-41 lead in the waning seconds of regulation by miraculously recovering several onside kicks. As pandemonium ensued on the Plano East side after the unlikely sequence of events, nothing could prepare the masses for what followed. John Tyler deep man kickoff returner Dunn took the kickoff down the sidelines to the endzone for the go ahead score. John Tyler won 48-44. Simply the greatest 5A game ever played.

Mad, you got to it just before me.

stevefoxsc
02-09-2006, 09:36 PM
temple vs judson 1992 temple round rock 2003 and again in bi district play off's.

and of course Katy Vs Slc 2003 dont tell the slc fan's i said that, but that last minute interception was incredible

Mad Hatter
02-09-2006, 09:37 PM
[/FONT]

Mad, you got to it just before me.[/LEFT]

im skilled like that man :)

Slim-Rob
02-09-2006, 09:38 PM
1996 Division II State Championship: Lewisville-58 Converse Judson-34
The Farmers set a state championship record with over 500 rushing on the day. Lewisville jumped out to a 21-0 first quarter lead, and withstood an offensive charge from Judson to win it all. Lewisville's option attack could not be stopped, and Ronnie Gage became the first coach to win both a Division 1 title (1993) and a Division 2 title.

My bro doesn't like to talk about this one.

Mad Hatter
02-09-2006, 09:42 PM
My bro doesn't like to talk about this one.

shame on u for bringing that up now i have to go cry that was the very first state title game i ever went to.

bad memories :(

Slim-Rob
02-09-2006, 09:45 PM
shame on u for bringing that up now i have to go cry that was the very first state title game i ever went to.

bad memories :(

The first I can remember is the 1995 Championship. I have been to the '95, '96, '98, '02, and was on the sideline for the '05 loss. I remember at the '98 one we left with just a few seconds left and I was begging to stay. I thought they could still win, but they didnt.

Mad Hatter
02-09-2006, 09:45 PM
Hye what about when Regean beat Madison who at the time was like top 10 in the state or something game had a crap load of points scored.

Slim-Rob
02-09-2006, 09:49 PM
A great comeback, even though it wasn't from very far behind, was the 05 Judson vs Copperas Cove game. Cove came back to go ahead, then kicked an onside kick and recovered with 4 seconds left and kneeled the ball. They had a lot of heart to be able to stay in that game.

Mad Hatter
02-09-2006, 09:53 PM
lol yeah the cove game was a good one.

Slim-Rob
02-09-2006, 10:00 PM
lol yeah the cove game was a good one.

Gotta give them credit. It would have been nice for us if they had just quit, but then again, what if that was the extra push it took to get us into the playoffs. Had we won that game, would we have fought so hard to beat Reagan by 21? Probably

cove_2001
02-09-2006, 10:33 PM
A great comeback, even though it wasn't from very far behind, was the 05 Judson vs Copperas Cove game. Cove came back to go ahead, then kicked an onside kick and recovered with 4 seconds left and kneeled the ball. They had a lot of heart to be able to stay in that game.

That was the best game I have seen Cove play, in terms of comebacks. The Dawg Pound was rocking on the Home side, when Garner threw the TD pass. Everyone was going crazy. I lost my voice from yelling so much. A great game indeed.

cove_2001

Mad Hatter
02-09-2006, 11:17 PM
That was the best game I have seen Cove play, in terms of comebacks. The Dawg Pound was rocking on the Home side, when Garner threw the TD pass. Everyone was going crazy. I lost my voice from yelling so much. A great game indeed.

cove_2001

and it memories like that that make texas highschool football so great...how many states can clame that when there highschool teams lose it pisses people off all next week. :D

Reaganrattler07
02-09-2006, 11:24 PM
Hye what about when Regean beat Madison who at the time was like top 10 in the state or something game had a crap load of points scored.

That was before I moved here. Madison was ranked #1 and Madison believed it was gonna be a route so they (madison fans) were betting Reagan fans HUGE money. And it was a Thursday night game and Reagan won in double overtime 59-53.....the game ended at like 1 in the morning....needless to say everyone was tired Friday morning. But that was like the biggest win Reagan had.

lonny23
02-10-2006, 04:05 PM
I know this has been posted before but I searched and could not find it. I was looking through Judson's records from previous years, when I noticed the 1996 Bi-District Judson vs Bowie. Judson was down 31-0 in the mid 3rd quarter and came back to win 32-31. Thats great coaching and it shows a lot of heart to me. My bro was on that team, I'm gonna ask him what it was like to overcome that deficit, and why they got down that far to begin with.
I don't think Bowie could beat Judson on the moon. They've lost to the Rockets 5 times in 5 playoff locations. After the big 32 point comeback and the way Judson blocked a FG and extra point to win in 2002, it just isn't in the cards.

dragonsdaddy
02-10-2006, 04:31 PM
best comeback i've ever witnessed was the 1977 plano-hp game, played in ts for the regional championship with a crowd of 39k. hp took a 21-0 halftime lead and was so dominating, the operm coach , who was in attendence, spoke to the hp staff at the half congratulating them, and buttering them up a little. the second half saw hp drive the length of the field , in about 6 minutes to take a 28-0 lead, and the partying was serious in the eastern stands. plano scored 2 quick tds and with about 6 minutes left in the 4th were driving, when a plano de intercepted a pitchout on the option and scored. suddenly the semi final plans were seeming to be premature. hp proceded to drive to the plano 24 and on 4th down and 2 called a timeout, and proceded to get a delay of game penalty anyway. their great place kicker missed an opportunity to clinch due to the extra 5 yards and hp punted to the 12. plano went for the trickery but the lateral was dropped by the wr before it could be thrown to a wide open rb. with 1:30 left plano picked up a first to the 30. they ran the same wr pass and this time it worked and plano scored. the comeback was completed when after meeting with the refs, plano went for 2 and ulmer walked in when hp unexplainedly lined up unbalanced against the option. hp immediately drove down and on the last play of the game, completed a pass to the plano 29, but time ran out before they could get another play. the prettiest sight ever was a completely deflated hp ego, and a perfectly quiet 20k scotties. never cared much for the fighting scotties, before or since. the rest of the season was almost anticlimactic with a 3-0 win at lubbock and the title win vs pngroves in front of 49,700. and thus the cardiac cats were born.

LoneRocket
02-10-2006, 06:41 PM
All the games against 3-5A even the tie.

WestlandTiger'95
02-12-2006, 08:11 PM
not the greatest comeback nor the biggest....but katy vs. clements playoffs in '92 where katy scored 2 td's in :11 to come from behind to win...that game began a "never give up" tradition that players that play for katy today look back on for inspiration.

the cy falls game this year goes down as one the greatest katy comebacks also.

Mhs06
02-12-2006, 08:16 PM
2002 Midland vs. Judson - A day that will live in emphamy....

Slim-Rob
02-12-2006, 08:52 PM

It's still great that they made it that far after missing the playoffs for so long.

P.S. The NFC just won the Pro-Bowl.

Alamo_Mojo
02-13-2006, 05:23 PM

That was a great game: I didn't realize until the end just how many fairweather fans Judson had! I was sitting on Rocket side and it seemed like everyone around me had headed for the parking lot! They misssed one of the greatest passes in high school history! :eek:

Dawg Fan
02-13-2006, 06:04 PM
That was a great game: I didn't realize until the end just how many fairweather fans Judson had! I was sitting on Rocket side and it seemed like everyone around me had headed for the parking lot! They misssed one of the greatest passes in high school history! :eek:

I still have nightmares about the last 17 seconds of that game. It was one of the most thrilling games I have watched ever. A lot of people out here like to make fun of the Dawgs for the defensive lapse in the final 17 seconds but I think they played a great game against one of the states premier playoff and championship teams. 50 years out of the playoffs and to get within 17 seconds hurts but at least we were there and got to play the game. The ones making fun didn't have a dog in the hunt(if you will forgive the pun)

DiamondJ2
02-13-2006, 06:23 PM
I don't think Bowie could beat Judson on the moon. They've lost to the Rockets 5 times in 5 playoff locations. After the big 32 point comeback and the way Judson blocked a FG and extra point to win in 2002, it just isn't in the cards.

Bowie & Eisenhower: teams that Judson loves to play.

lonny23
02-13-2006, 06:52 PM
I still have nightmares about the last 17 seconds of that game. It was one of the most thrilling games I have watched ever. A lot of people out here like to make fun of the Dawgs for the defensive lapse in the final 17 seconds but I think they played a great game against one of the states premier playoff and championship teams. 50 years out of the playoffs and to get within 17 seconds hurts but at least we were there and got to play the game. The ones making fun didn't have a dog in the hunt(if you will forgive the pun)
I loved that game. I was in the opposite end zone from where he scored, but I kept shaking my daughter as he was running for the go-ahead TD.

Mad Hatter
02-13-2006, 07:30 PM
i almost passed out my dad had to help me sit down it was nuts. I went through every emotion on the scale after midland scored to when Judson scored......it was amazing....i can still see midlans QB's face on the jumbo screen as he was thinking god after they scored. Im getting excited just thinking about it.

LoneRocket
02-13-2006, 09:58 PM
Most of the people who were at the game were not from the Judson community, (I am not saying that there were no Judson fans who left early, I know some who were chewed out) in a metro area of a million plus people it was the only championship game in town. Some Bexar county folks had an opportunity to witness state championship football. The people in the section I was standing at were steadily chanting WE BELIEVE IN ROCKET PRIDE until the clock struck 0.000, it is not over until it is over. You have to leave all on the field against 3-5A.

SFARocketGrad
02-13-2006, 11:38 PM
Most of the people who were at the game were not from the Judson community, (I am not saying that there were no Judson fans who left early, I know some who were chewed out) in a metro area of a million plus people it was the only championship game in town. Some Bexar county folks had an opportunity to witness state championship football. The people in the section I was standing at were steadily chanting WE BELIEVE IN ROCKET PRIDE until the clock struck 0.000, it is not over until it is over. You have to leave all on the field against 3-5A.

Hey I loved the game... Coulda been being on the field watching my boy run with it and jumping on the pile just yellin..... Good stuff.. I like watching the camera go over the fans before and after the pass. Cuz if you look hard enough when we score the TD and it goes over our fans you see my brother and Marcus Dimando both crying and you see my mom covering her eyes. She couldnt watch it..... it was great. Also TJ Barber didnt hold no grudges. He loved havin me block for him at Slo Ross.

BandidoNB
02-14-2006, 04:57 PM
I can think of a better comeback than Judson-Bowie game. It happened a few years ago in a nondistrict game that San Angelo Lake View played. I dont remember against who it was, but they were up 35-7 at halftime and ended up losing 70-35!! Yowza!! I remember cuz there was a small article on it in the SA Express News.

CCHS77
02-14-2006, 05:58 PM
I can think of a better comeback than Judson-Bowie game. It happened a few years ago in a nondistrict game that San Angelo Lake View played. I dont remember against who it was, but they were up 35-7 at halftime and ended up losing 70-35!! Yowza!! I remember cuz there was a small article on it in the SA Express News.

I believe it was Wichita High School (Old High) making the comeback you mention against San Angelo.

Slim-Rob
02-14-2006, 06:20 PM

LOL, my mom had just said "Lets leave" and I said no. I hate leaving a game before its over, and Judson had the ball so why leave? I was watching him run down the sideline before the ball was in the air and I pointed at him and yelled HE'S OPEN. When he caught that ball and ran into the endzone, the rest of the game was wiped from my memory. I'll never forget the Midland stands just falling still.

ktfan2005
02-17-2006, 10:46 PM
i think i am going to have to say katy cy falls that was such an awesoem game to keep them alive in the playoffs

dmc 77
02-17-2006, 11:09 PM
How about the comeback in Tyler (at Rose Stadium) on a very cold and hard rain afternoon when Lufkin came from 20-0 at half time to win over E.Trinity 27-23 with 35 seconds left. Reggie McNeil threw the game winning pass in a rain storm that had the rain falling sideways and wind gust up to 30 mph. That game was unbelievable.... that year the Panters came from behind 4 of the 6 playoff games to win their first championship.

but how can you forget the John Tyler and Plano East game.... :cool:

lonny23
11-14-2007, 11:05 AM
I thought I'd bring this thread from last year back up since Bowie is playing Judson this week. The Bulldogs will be hard to beat, but there is no way I'll pick Bowie over Judson just because of the past. I know past teams aren't playing for either side and history can be reversed, but there's nothing to say Bowie doesn't get one of those "Here we go again moments" this week. In other words, I won't pick Bowie because they've lost everywhere they've ever played Judson.

dragonsdaddy
11-14-2007, 11:21 AM

i get revved up by being savvy. of course savvy is a bastardization of the spanish sabe. sabe?

bowiedawgs01
11-14-2007, 12:18 PM

I was actually at that game. The ending was absolute BS. Score was 31-29 Bowie and Judson attempted a FG. Bowie blocked it. The ball rolled inside the 5 (could've been inside the 10) and Bowie players all backed away from it. Nobody touched it. My friend was the starting safety and he was next to it and no one touched it. Judson comes in and lands on the ball. Refs give it to Judson and they kick the winning FG. It was like Lett's Ice Bowl all over again, except no Bulldog player kicked the ball. Victor Ike still almost returned the ensuing kickoff for a TD before he ran out of room around midfield.

TraditionSports
11-14-2007, 12:32 PM
Are we talking strictly playoff games here?

If not, I think you have to throw in Cedar Hill/DeSoto from last season. Down 24 with 9 mins left, and then...Ole King Cole did that thing he does.

Can someone send a tape of that game to Stillwater, OK, Attn: Coach Gundy?

CyFallsMom
11-14-2007, 12:36 PM
the cy falls game this year goes down as one the greatest katy comebacks also.

You mean 2005 right? We haven't played this year:). That was a tremendous comeback for Katy. I think it was the fans that helped and here's why I think that. When we went up by 18, Katy fans were leaving in droves - we couldn't believe it. I suppose the Falls players were feeling pretty confident (too much so) at that point and the Katy players had to get pissed off a little when they saw that. Because it was right at that point that things began to fall apart for us and Katy tightened up. We still commisserate about the fact that we didn't go for that field goal that might have put the dagger in and finished the job:rolleyes:. That game was so emotional for both teams - it was crazy.

Last year was just a good old fashioned put it all on the field game for both sides. No comebacks but there was no clear cut winner until seconds from the end. I had a migraine for 2 days after that one!

EDIT: I just realized this was thread originally FROM 2006 and pulled up again so you were right! Sorry about that.

J-Rock Mom
11-14-2007, 12:59 PM

I wasn't able to go to the game but I taped it and they were showing Midland sideline and fans all celeabrating, then when Dustin threw that ball and all you could see is everyones eyes open really big and their mouths wide open also. Then Andre run into the endzone with the ball. The poor Midland fans and sidelines starting to cry. :cry I did feel bad for them. But then I was happy for us!!!:)

gridironcheersquad
11-14-2007, 01:00 PM
I believe it was Wichita High School (Old High) making the comeback you mention against San Angelo.

Agree- WFHS was down 35-0 at halftime.
They came back and won 72-35. Completely shut them out the 2nd half.
That was one of the most exciting games that I have ever witnessed.
Makes you wonder what the coach's said to them at halftime. LOL!

mojo4life
11-14-2007, 01:44 PM
permian, arlington 1987

mojoguy
11-14-2007, 01:46 PM
permian, arlington 1987

Haha I was just about to say that. Two words: Shawn Crow.

The King
11-14-2007, 03:15 PM
temple vs judson 1992 temple round rock 2003 and again in bi district play off's.

and of course Katy Vs Slc 2003 dont tell the slc fan's i said that, but that last minute interception was incredible

Katy has pulled quiet a few out of the bag.

In 1992 Jersey Village to get into the playoffs, and Clements in the playoffs.

In 1994 Westbrook. The same day as the PLano East and John Tyler game, and 2005 Cy-Falls

lonny23
11-14-2007, 06:05 PM
I was actually at that game. The ending was absolute BS. Score was 31-29 Bowie and Judson attempted a FG. Bowie blocked it. The ball rolled inside the 5 (could've been inside the 10) and Bowie players all backed away from it. Nobody touched it. My friend was the starting safety and he was next to it and no one touched it. Judson comes in and lands on the ball. Refs give it to Judson and they kick the winning FG. It was like Lett's Ice Bowl all over again, except no Bulldog player kicked the ball. Victor Ike still almost returned the ensuing kickoff for a TD before he ran out of room around midfield.
Must've been Converse officials!:D

fitz400
11-14-2007, 06:34 PM
this game may not be coming back from that much of a deficit but what makes it so great was the situation that pearland was in. score was 15-10 with a like 1:57 left and pearland has the ball at their own 20. This game was last year and we ALL know pearland was an all run team last year so 2 minute drives are very rare! but Pearland executed tons of passes this drive including a 4th and 10 pass for 11 yards to keep them in the game and was capped off with a pass to the second string quarterback reid wendell at the 5 and he dragged a cy-fair defender to the 2 when the entire team flew to that spot helping him fall into the endzone for the win. final score was 16-15

dragons08
11-14-2007, 06:45 PM
Despite what many people think, "your mom", is not one of the greatest comebacks ever, hell, its one of the worst.

maxtor
11-14-2007, 07:49 PM
LOL, my gosh. This is one of those threads where I read the first 40 posts before realizing it is 1 1/2 years old. :mad::o:D

CyFallsMom
11-14-2007, 09:43 PM
LOL, my gosh. This is one of those threads where I read the first 40 posts before realizing it is 1 1/2 years old.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger - I even went so far as to correct someone's post!! Then I looked at it and saw 2006 - when they are this old, they just need to be kept in the vault:D

AMustz
11-15-2007, 10:59 AM
From 5ATexasFootball.com's Greatest Games:
2003 Division II Bi-District: PA Memorial 41 Aldine 40 (OT)
Memorial erased a 34-7 halftime deficit to send the game into overtime tied at 34. Titan tailback Jamaal Charles shredded the Mustang defense for over 160 yards in the 3rd quarter alone. Charles ended up with close to 300 rushing yards on the game. Memorial would go on to the regional semi-finals before losing to eventual state champions Katy. This marked Memorial's first ever playoff win as a consolidated high school.

He's still at it.

Beaumont_Legend
11-15-2007, 11:42 AM
November 1994 Katy v Bmt West Brook (ASTRODOME)

WB had a 28-7 lead with 10 minutes left in the game. An unjustly ejection of their starting qb in the fourth quarter(who led greater houston in passing), on an onside kick attempt was B*S. The refs defintely had a hand on the outcome of the game. Bill Jatzlau or whatever his name was, got completely shut down until the fourth. A blotched snap on the goal line gave Katy a safety and the lead. Thus was the beginning of the Katy Tradition. However Plano beat them in the title game.:cry

bowiedawgs01
11-15-2007, 12:02 PM
i get revved up by being savvy. of course savvy is a bastardization of the spanish sabe. sabe?

Originally Latin, "sapere."

EPFootball
11-15-2007, 12:04 PM
The EP Franklin VS Mansfield Summitt i the 2nd round of the 2005 playoffs was the best come back ever for a EL Paso team in the playoffs . I think Franklin was down like 38-0 at half time and came back and won the game 41-38 the final........ What an awesome come back....
:notworthy

EPFootball
11-15-2007, 12:23 PM
http://www.5atexasfootball.com/best00s.htm

2005 Division I Regional: El Paso Franklin 41 Mansfield Summit 38
Summit stormed to a 28-0 lead after one quarter. However, Franklin eventually roared to life and pulled off one of the most surprising wins in the history of Class 5A football. Franklin QB Alex Torres led the charge, and helped book his team's place in the state quarterfinals

http://mvp.epgridiron.com/mvp2.html

:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

The King
11-15-2007, 12:34 PM

WB had a 28-7 lead with 10 minutes left in the game. An unjustly ejection of their starting qb in the fourth quarter(who led greater houston in passing), on an onside kick attempt was B*S. The refs defintely had a hand on the outcome of the game. Bill Jatzlau or whatever his name was, got completely shut down until the fourth. A blotched snap on the goal line gave Katy a safety and the lead. Thus was the beginning of the Katy Tradition. However Plano beat them in the title game.:cry

This ads up to Beaumont 28 Katy 16??? If you do the math. the Safety was actually a fumble recovered by a DL from Katy. The ejection was a clean call. I was on the sideline for this game the last three minutes are burned into my head.

KT2000
11-15-2007, 12:49 PM

It was a 28-17 lead over halfway through the 4th. And the ejection was more than justified. You can't go Chuck Norris after the whistle and expect to stay in the game. He lost his head there.

Katy's run of tradition started a good long before 94 (1986 as far as winning football). 1992 proved Katy could play with the big boys. 1994 was the first trip out of the region as a big school.