PDA

View Full Version : UIL All Century Offense Announced

33Blood
12-09-2009, 01:19 PM
And now for the Offense

http://www.uil.utexas.edu/db/press_release_detail.lasso?-Search=Action&-Table=table&-Database=press_releases&-KeyValue=366

FIRST TEAM
QB Vince Young, Houston Madison
RB Earl Campbell, Tyler John Tyler
RB Eric Dickerson, Sealy
WR Tim Brown, Dallas Wilson
WR Roy Williams, Odessa Permian
TE Martellus Bennett, Alief Taylor
OL Leonard Davis, Wortham
OL Forrest Gregg, Sulphur Springs
OL E.J. Holub, Lubbock
OL Jerry Sisemore, Plainview
OL Gene Upshaw, Robstown
K Tony Franklin, Fort Worth Arlington Heights

SECOND TEAM
QB Y.A. Tittle, Marshall
RB Cedric Benson, Midland Lee
RB Ken Hall, Sugar Land
WR Raymond Berry, Paris
WR Jordan Shipley, Burnet
TE Mike Barber, White Oak
OL Justin Blalock, Plano East
OL Blake Brockermeyer, Fort Worth Arlington Heights
OL Doug Dawson, Houston Memorial
OL Alan Faneca, Lamar Consolidated
OL Seth McKinney, Austin Westlake
K Russell Erxleben, Seguin

THIRD TEAM
QB Marty Akins, Gregory-Portland
RB Adrian Peterson, Palestine
RB LaDainian Tomlinson, Waco University
WR Don Maynard, Colorado City
WR Mike Renfro, Fort Worth Arlington Heights
TE Keith Cash, San Antonio Holmes
OL Tray Allen, South Grand Prarie
OL Mike Baab, Euless Trinity
OL Lee Grimes, Brownwood
OL Matt McCall, Lufkin
OL Dan Neil, Houston Cypress Creek
K Phil Dawson, Richardson Lake Highlands
</pre>

33Blood
12-09-2009, 01:23 PM
Not sure how Ken Hall is not first team? But then the people voting probably hadn't heard or seen him unless it was to get a BBQ sandwich.

Maroondog
12-09-2009, 01:30 PM
Not sure how Ken Hall is not first team? But then the people voting probably hadn't heard or seen him unless it was to get a BBQ sandwich.

Agree. If this is for high school accomplishments, Ken Hall is first team.

AHSeagles
12-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Where's B.J. Johnson for WR??? Also, Ken Hall should be first team. Drew Brees, the Detmer brothers, and Tod Dodge could have made strong cases for QB.

Mayor of Cypress
12-09-2009, 01:40 PM
so, Jordan Shipley, Kenneth Hall and Y.A. Tittle all played in the same century? Am I missing something?

Also, if you click the link, each is listed alphabetically by position and Tim Brown is ahead of Roy Williams???

LOL @ the UIL!

BackNBlack97
12-09-2009, 01:44 PM
so, Jordan Shipley, Kenneth Hall and Y.A. Tittle all played in the same century? Am I missing something?

Also, if you click the link, each is listed alphabetically by position and Tim Brown is ahead of Roy Williams???

LOL @ the UIL!

Last I checked, B comes before W... When you alphabetize names, it's by last name... and the Century is any 100 years... This is the 100 years that the UIL has existed...

Favpack
12-09-2009, 01:45 PM

LOL @ the UIL!

I believe the "all-century" aspect is the first 100 years of the UIL.

Yeah, I dislike the offense more than the defense I'm thinking. Too many current or younger guys. Adrian Peterson? He was kicked off the varsity team as a freshman due to some legal issues, and had a very hit and miss senior year.

Billy Simms, Rodney Thomas, Steve Wooster, James Street, Jim Burleson. Seems the 60's and 70's were largely forgotten.

Prep Ticket
12-09-2009, 02:21 PM
Sims definitely should be on the list. He was unstoppable in high school and won the Heisman Trophy in College. Kenneth Hall on the second team is the biggest problem I have with the list. The bust of the National High School Heisman is his likeness but he's not 1st team all-state?

dragonsdaddy
12-09-2009, 03:05 PM
the all-century defensive team
as much as i loves me some pat thomas, and i gaurantee i have spent more time with him than anyone else on here, he was never known in hs for his db skills. he was recruited as a rb. we were all surprised when he moved to db and was so dominant. he is still the best athlete i've ever been around.

http://www.uil.utexas.edu/db/press_release_detail.lasso?-Search=Action&-Table=table&-Database=press_releases&-KeyValue=364

etizzle
12-09-2009, 03:32 PM
Sam McGuffie.....

LOL:D

HUM398
12-09-2009, 03:43 PM
No David Boston or David Givens = Fail

ThEgReAtOnE
12-09-2009, 04:33 PM
And now for the Offense

http://www.uil.utexas.edu/db/press_release_detail.lasso?-Search=Action&-Table=table&-Database=press_releases&-KeyValue=366

FIRST TEAM
QB Vince Young, Houston Madison
RB Earl Campbell, Tyler John Tyler
RB Eric Dickerson, Sealy
WR Tim Brown, Dallas Wilson
WR Roy Williams, Odessa Permian
TE Martellus Bennett, Alief Taylor
OL Leonard Davis, Wortham
OL Forrest Gregg, Sulphur Springs
OL E.J. Holub, Lubbock
OL Jerry Sisemore, Plainview
OL Gene Upshaw, Robstown
K Tony Franklin, Fort Worth Arlington Heights

SECOND TEAM
QB Y.A. Tittle, Marshall
RB Cedric Benson, Midland Lee
RB Ken Hall, Sugar Land
WR Raymond Berry, Paris
WR Jordan Shipley, Burnet
TE Mike Barber, White Oak
OL Justin Blalock, Plano East
OL Blake Brockermeyer, Fort Worth Arlington Heights
OL Doug Dawson, Houston Memorial
OL Alan Faneca, Lamar Consolidated
OL Seth McKinney, Austin Westlake
K Russell Erxleben, Seguin

THIRD TEAM
QB Marty Akins, Gregory-Portland
RB Adrian Peterson, Palestine
RB LaDainian Tomlinson, Waco University
WR Don Maynard, Colorado City
WR Mike Renfro, Fort Worth Arlington Heights
TE Keith Cash, San Antonio Holmes
OL Tray Allen, South Grand Prarie
OL Mike Baab, Euless Trinity
OL Lee Grimes, Brownwood
OL Matt McCall, Lufkin
OL Dan Neil, Houston Cypress Creek
K Phil Dawson, Richardson Lake Highlands
</pre>

There's a kid who was talked about as perhaps the greatest OL'man in the history of THSFB... yet his collegiate career has been average, at best.

HUM398
12-09-2009, 06:17 PM
There's a kid who was talked about as perhaps the greatest OL'man in the history of THSFB... yet his collegiate career has been average, at best.

Well...It is only a High School All century.

Some people don't progress like you think they would.

ThEgReAtOnE
12-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Well...It is only a High School All century.

Some people don't progress like you think they would.

Well, I would just like ANY progress.

KT1993
12-09-2009, 06:40 PM
Cederic Benson over Sealy's Erick Dickerson????? WTH

HUM398
12-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Well, I would just like ANY progress.

Well...Their are College Busts too.

Unfortunately he couldn't wait a couple of years to do it...Better to be a NFL bust then a College Bust.

Overall...The UT offensive line is not lacking talent, its lacking attitude. I haven't seen that many ******'s on the Offensive line in....wait...never.

I only pray our next group plays with a mean streak.

ruffshod
12-09-2009, 07:25 PM
Noone from any of the Kashmere teams of the 70s.:confused::confused:

kale25
12-09-2009, 07:33 PM
Any all-time without Warren Mc Vea is a joke. There a lot of people left out that should be on here and I have been watching football since 1949.

farmerfan
12-09-2009, 07:45 PM
I don't know if I would put LT over Jerod Douglas based on their HS performance. I know that Paul Rice from Lewisville has always been considered by those who saw him to be amongst the very best.

kale25
12-09-2009, 07:49 PM
My list of the greastes running backs in THSF history, or the past sisty years. I no order except the first two. I refuse to vote foe any player for what they did after high school.

Earl Cambell
Warren Mc Vea
Eric Dickerson
Billy Sims
Cedric Benson
Steve Wooster
Graig James
Joe Washington
Thurman Thomas
QB,s also

Matt Stafford
Garrett Gilbert
Drew Brees
Graham harrell
Tommy Kramer
Vince Young

ThEgReAtOnE
12-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Cederic Benson over Sealy's Erick Dickerson????? WTH

Cedric Benson over...

Thurman Thomas, FB Willowridge
Dante Hall, Aldine Nimitz
Byron Hanspard, Desoto
Jacquizz Rodgers, Lamar Consolidated
Skip Hicks, Burkburnett
Leeland McElroy, Beaumont Central
Darren "Tank" Lewis, Dallas Carter
Jamaal Charles, PA Memorial
Greg Hill, Dallas Carter
Darrell Bush, Jersey Village
Jerod Douglas, Converse Judson
Carlton Booe, Austin Johnson
Fred Smith, Sealy (who broke Eric's records)
Tiki Hardeman, North Shore
Roosevelt Leaks, Brenham
Ketric Sanford, Corsicana

????

Yards don't mean everything... especially when you don't always play on a GREAT team. Booe may have been the most laterally explosive athlete, I've seen... ala Barry Sanders. Fred Smith was always in trouble, and didn't have the fortitude to make it. Same w/ Darren, after an all-time great career at A&M (I think he's still in jail!)!

dragonsdaddy
12-09-2009, 07:53 PM
I don't know if I would put LT over Jerod Douglas based on their HS performance. I know that Paul Rice from Lewisville has always been considered by those who saw him to be amongst the very best.

never saw lt, or paul rice, but jd was the real deal. best ever? can't saywhere he ranks, but of all the rbs i've seen, there is no doubt who's the best- earl.

farmerfan
12-09-2009, 08:06 PM
never saw lt, or paul rice, but jd was the real deal. best ever? can't saywhere he ranks, but of all the rbs i've seen, there is no doubt who's the best- earl.

I never saw Earl but from all the stories from those who did then yes I do believe you are right.
JD was the real deal and so was Rodney Thomas at Groveton and Byron Hanspard at DeSoto and the list could go on and on. I guess a list like this will always be debated and some very worthy individuals will be left off.
Another back that I saw and IMO he was the best football player I have ever seen come out of Permian was John Williams.. Granted I have only seen some of the Mojo players since the late 80's that guy alwasy made an impression on me.
I never saw a Cardwell on the receiver list and to me if htat name is not on a receiver list then it just isn't legit

dragonsdaddy
12-09-2009, 08:10 PM
I never saw Earl but from all the stories from those who did then yes I do believe you are right.
JD was the real deal and so was Rodney Thomas at Groveton and Byron Hanspard at DeSoto and the list could go on and on. I guess a list like this will always be debated and some very worthy individuals will be left off.
Another back that I saw and IMO he was the best football player I have ever seen come out of Permian was John Williams.. Granted I have only seen some of the Mojo players since the late 80's that guy alwasy made an impression on me.
I never saw a Caldwell on the receiver list and to me if htat name is not on a receiver list then it just isn't legit
gotta agree. he was legit. and i fify

HUM398
12-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Cedric Benson over...

Thurman Thomas, FB Willowridge
Dante Hall, Aldine Nimitz
Byron Hanspard, Desoto
Jacquizz Rodgers, Lamar Consolidated
Skip Hicks, Burkburnett
Leeland McElroy, Beaumont Central
Darren "Tank" Lewis, Dallas Carter
Jamaal Charles, PA Memorial
Greg Hill, Dallas Carter
Darrell Bush, Jersey Village
Jerod Douglas, Converse Judson
Carlton Booe, Austin Johnson
Fred Smith, Sealy (who broke Eric's records)
Tiki Hardeman, North Shore
Roosevelt Leaks, Brenham
Ketric Sanford, Corsicana

????

Yards don't mean everything... especially when you don't always play on a GREAT team. Booe may have been the most laterally explosive athlete, I've seen... ala Barry Sanders. Fred Smith was always in trouble, and didn't have the fortitude to make it. Same w/ Darren, after an all-time great career at A&M (I think he's still in jail!)!

Im pretty sure Dante Hall played WR and KR/PR

kttiger1
12-09-2009, 09:16 PM
How about Tommy Kramer, San Antonio Lee. 1971 4a state champ and 1972 5a Semi Finalist. Played at Rice. Took over for Fran T at Minn Vikings. Became a pro bowler was in the NFL from 1977 to 1990. I like Vince Young but is yet unproven in the NFL.

HUM398
12-09-2009, 09:23 PM
How about Tommy Kramer, San Antonio Lee. 1971 4a state champ and 1972 5a Semi Finalist. Played at Rice. Took over for Fran T at Minn Vikings. Became a pro bowler was in the NFL from 1977 to 1990. I like Vince Young but is yet unproven in the NFL.

UIL...High School.

This list has nothing to do with how they did after High school...or at least it shouldn't.

When we did the voting...i saw Will Peoples on the list at WR...but no David Boston...What the hell?

dragonsdaddy
12-09-2009, 09:25 PM
UIL...High School.

This list has nothing to do with how they did after High school...or at least it shouldn't.

When we did the voting...i saw Will Peoples on the list at WR...but no David Boston...What the hell?

tk was the real deal, even/especially in hs. he deserves consideration.

kttiger1
12-09-2009, 09:31 PM
[QUOTE=HUM398;1420424]UIL...High School.

Even Better, VY did not ever make it to state. The voting had to be about his post HS career.

dragonsdaddy
12-09-2009, 09:37 PM

Even Better, VY did not ever make it to state. The voting had to be about his post HS career.
it is entirely possible to make it without making it to state. vy certainly was good/great enough in hs to deserve consideration.

HUM398
12-09-2009, 09:44 PM

WHAT!?!?!?!

Considering that that Madison team wouldn't of even made it to the playoffs it weren't for VY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23uvmfCGXgE&feature=related

Single most dominant player i have EVER seen play

HUM398
12-09-2009, 09:45 PM
tk was the real deal, even/especially in hs. he deserves consideration.

my comments were more directed toward the VY comment.

kttiger1
12-09-2009, 10:09 PM
[QUOTE=kttiger1;1420436]

WHAT!?!?!?!

Considering that that Madison team wouldn't of even made it to the playoffs it weren't for VY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23uvmfCGXgE&feature=related

Single most dominant player i have EVER seen play

I am going with the Tyler Rose, Earl C as the most dominant HS player I ever saw play. VY was a great individual player. He deserves to be in the top 3, and maybe even 1st team QB, but I was surprised to see Tommy Kramer was passed over all together. BTW I am not a San Antonio Homer. Neither am I a t.u. fan.

KatyTigerDad0407
12-09-2009, 10:16 PM
Not sure how Ken Hall is not first team? But then the people voting probably hadn't heard or seen him unless it was to get a BBQ sandwich.I agree 100%

Hoodleboy80
12-09-2009, 10:21 PM
Craig James carried the 78 Stratford team to the 4A state championship, could argue for him, but there are so many great RB's from Texas that it's kinda tough.

TheScout
12-09-2009, 10:27 PM
I don't know about VY as the greatest high school qb. Man was he awesome in college, but in hs, he didn't even win state. Just the opposite Reggie McNeal from Lufkin was a better high school qb and less college qb. Not saying reggie should be the best ever, but defenitly a better hs qb than VY. I think they are basing that off of college, which is incorrect. And Cedric Benson was a freaking beast at Midland Lee.

HUM398
12-09-2009, 10:36 PM
I don't know about VY as the greatest high school qb. Man was he awesome in college, but in hs, he didn't even win state. Just the opposite Reggie McNeal from Lufkin was a better high school qb and less college qb. Not saying reggie should be the best ever, but defenitly a better hs qb than VY. I think they are basing that off of college, which is incorrect. And Cedric Benson was a freaking beast at Midland Lee.

Did you ever watch VY in high school?

He was a 1 man show...Incredible how he led a team with practically no defense to a state-semi-final.

TheScout
12-09-2009, 10:45 PM

He was a 1 man show...Incredible how he led a team with practically no defense to a state-semi-final.

Absolutly nothing against VY. I watched him that year and the year before. I lived in Cypress at the time and would drive down to see them play. I also saw him in the playoffs. I also witnessed Reggie McNeal put an entire team on his back and come back and win after being down 20-0 in the 3rd quarter in the state semis. No disrespect to VY, but winning it all says something about leadership and ability to carry your team by yourself.

VY was much better in college, just I have seen others carry teams further. Reggie McNeal would not be denied. He held onto the ball so long that the other team didn't have a chance to score. VY didn't. He would score way too fast and put his defense back on the field too quickly. I saw him do it too many times. And that is the same reason they lost in the playoffs, he scored too fast. McNeal knew how to control the clock in order to win.

farmerfan
12-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Craig James carried the 78 Stratford team to the 4A state championship, could argue for him, but there are so many great RB's from Texas that it's kinda tough.

Great pick there buddy. Craigs numbers and reputation speak for itself. He was and still is a legend in Texas HS football ranks.

farmerfan
12-09-2009, 10:48 PM

He was definitely the man on that team. Courtney Lewis was pretty special for them too though wasn't he? I know not quite like Vince but I do know he did some very good things for that Madison team

ftballin11
12-09-2009, 10:53 PM
Absolutly nothing against VY. I watched him that year and the year before. I lived in Cypress at the time and would drive down to see them play. I also saw him in the playoffs. I also witnessed Reggie McNeal put an entire team on his back and come back and win after being down 20-0 in the 3rd quarter in the state semis. No disrespect to VY, but winning it all says something about leadership and ability to carry your team by yourself.

VY was much better in college, just I have seen others carry teams further. Reggie McNeal would not be denied. He held onto the ball so long that the other team didn't have a chance to score. VY didn't. He would score way too fast and put his defense back on the field too quickly. I saw him do it too many times. And that is the same reason they lost in the playoffs, he scored too fast. McNeal knew how to control the clock in order to win.

I'm a Katy fan and we played him 3 years in a row, and he is hands down undeniably most dynamic player I have ever seen at the HS level.(and College).

HUM398
12-10-2009, 01:47 AM
He was definitely the man on that team. Courtney Lewis was pretty special for them too though wasn't he? I know not quite like Vince but I do know he did some very good things for that Madison team

Courtney's Success was a direct result of Defenses trying to stay committed to VY....When you have a dual threat QB, the RB usually benefits...ESPECIALLY when the QB is getting the majority of the running attempts.

You could of replaced Courtney Lewis with any other running back athletic enough to run the Spread Option......You can't replace VY for ANYONE and still get the result you got. McNeil would of lost to Katy, NS, and Hightower with his style of play.

What scout doesn't understand is that Madison had no defense that year, Scoring quickly was the only way to ensure a victory. You can play a possession game when you have a Defense good enough to make a couple stops...but that defense was horrendous....Possession games would of likely lead to closer games. If Madison had a Defense, then it would of most certainly been the state champs....Reggie McNeil had a very talented bunch that surrounded him...and great Coaching....Madison has Ray Seal...and as a nice of a guy that he is...He will always be the coach lucky enough to have had VY play for him..... Pretty Sure VY could of lead a Valley team to the State Semi Finals....

To give you an idea of how lethal the VY offense (that's what i call it, cause that is what it was) was...it scored over 70+ points on a David Aymond Defense.....That is insane....

kale25
12-10-2009, 07:14 AM
If you will notice, Tommy Kramer waas on my list. Cambell, Young, Mc Vea, and Benson were the most dominant I have seen in the last sixty years.

goscots
12-10-2009, 07:47 AM
Can't believe the hate for Cedric Benson on here. I think he should have been 1st team. Think about it: he started as a freshman, led his team to 3 consecutive 5a state championships (who else has done this?), 1 "national" championship, and averaged 180+ yards a game, and almost 3 TDs a game for his ENTIRE career. Over 8,000 yards and 127 TDs in 5a. Sick. Who else could have done that? While Midland Lee was good then, he carried them like few others could. I saw Roy Williams play around the same time, and he only got Permian to the playoffs one time, yet he is on the first team (although, individually, he was a beast).

SLC93
12-10-2009, 08:50 AM

+1

Douglas was just amazing.

Maroondog
12-10-2009, 09:02 AM
Any all-time without Warren Mc Vea is a joke. There a lot of people left out that should be on here and I have been watching football since 1949.

I had forgotten about "Wonderous Warren". Yes, in high school he was definitely among the very best of all time.

SLC93
12-10-2009, 09:26 AM
Can't believe the hate for Cedric Benson on here. I think he should have been 1st team. Think about it: he started as a freshman, led his team to 3 consecutive 5a state championships (who else has done this?), 1 "national" championship, and averaged 180+ yards a game, and almost 3 TDs a game for his ENTIRE career. Over 8,000 yards and 127 TDs in 5a. Sick. Who else could have done that? While Midland Lee was good then, he carried them like few others could. I saw Roy Williams play around the same time, and he only got Permian to the playoffs one time, yet he is on the first team (although, individually, he was a beast).

I can see both sides of the arguement. Fact is Texas has just produced so many amazing backs it can be difficult, at best, to rank the very top. Benson was a monster. I'd would go with Earl and Dickerson. To me Sims is the next choice but that is just my preference.

The comparison to Williams is a bit unfair. I get your point but a wr, no matter how good, does not have the ability to impact the game in the same was a rb does.

SLC93
12-10-2009, 09:31 AM

State title appearances shouldn't be very high on the list of determining factors here. Too much goes into a team getting to state that is beyond an individual players control. If it were a Carroll qb would have to be first team due to winning, title appearances and statistics and that would not be correct. Maybe VY isn't first team but he was an undeniable force and carried his team to everything the accomplished. That has to be accounted for.

CaneDadCat5
12-10-2009, 10:56 AM
Much respect for those who put this up but I think some were recognized more for there college accomplishments as compared to high school. There are so many deserved but not even mentioned. Craig James and Johnny Bailey. etc... Do they even get a close honorable mention?

Favpack
12-10-2009, 11:15 AM

Glad to hear someone else say this. Reggie gets over-looked today because his stats were not eye-popping, and VY became a legend in college. Reggie is the greatest HS player I've ever watched.

Consider he played just a little free safety in the PO's because we had so many tight games. He had 5 interceptions and ran 2 back for TD's - on about 20 total snaps in the PO's - playing a deep centerfield.

HUM398
12-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Glad to hear someone else say this. Reggie gets over-looked today because his stats were not eye-popping, and VY became a legend in college. Reggie is the greatest HS player I've ever watched.

Consider he played just a little free safety in the PO's because we had so many tight games. He had 5 interceptions and ran 2 back for TD's - on about 20 total snaps in the PO's - playing a deep centerfield.

Dude...Did you watch VY play in High School?

Reggie was a great football player, but he wasn't the GREATEST player i have ever seen at this level.

VY was hands down the most dominate individual athlete i have seen at any amateur level. It really isn't even close...

kale25
12-10-2009, 12:59 PM
I would put Cambell and Mc Vea very, very close.

dragonpants
12-10-2009, 02:04 PM
This list is all screwed up, 2 RB's what the heck is a TE and only 2 WR's. I guess the UIL is running the veer or something. :D