PDA

View Full Version : Weakest Region in Texas?

Rerun
04-03-2005, 12:34 AM
What region is the weakest in terms of overall talented teams year in and year out?

Big Daddy Cool
04-03-2005, 04:13 PM
As much as it pains me to say i would think region 3 has to be one of the weakest due to there being so many schools in HISD and the surrounding school districts. And with the addition of a fourth playoff team in 06' the region will become even weaker.

Owned05
04-03-2005, 04:59 PM
As much as it pains me to say i would think region 3 has to be one of the weakest due to there being so many schools in HISD and the surrounding school districts. And with the addition of a fourth playoff team in 06' the region will become even weaker.

Unfortunately, you're right.

You only have 1 or 2 truely dominant teams coming out of region 3 in both divisons year in and year out. The region gets really watered down with the HISD schools, like Big said.

You could make a case for region 4 being the weakest, though.

RGVBadBoy
04-03-2005, 06:42 PM
i would have to say the the weakest region in Texas is a toss up between the 4 Regions, Region 1 has the El Paso schools and Region 4 has the Laredo Schools, the RGV and Corpus schools are pretty respectable (most of the time with Harlingen, Edinburg, Sharyland, Carrol and Victoria), but the SA schools whom are usually some of the tops in the state kinda weed out most of the other Region 4 contenders

Red Raiders
04-03-2005, 09:55 PM
I would say Region 4 is the weakest but they got some really good teams like Judson and Smithson Valley.

rangerpride
04-03-2005, 10:10 PM
Don't get me wrong. Region 4 has its share of cupcakes. But the San Antonio schools are some of the most competitive football teams in the state. We're more than Judson and SV. OConnor is an up and coming team, Taft, Clark, Clemens, Madison are also very good programs. The Laredo schools are what gives us the weak region reputation.

I would have to say schools in West Texas have an easier road to the state semis.

Red Raiders
04-03-2005, 10:13 PM
Don't get me wrong. Region 4 has its share of cupcakes. But the San Antonio schools are some of the most competitive football teams in the state. We're more than Judson and SV. OConnor is an up and coming team, Taft, Clark, Clemens, Madison are also very good programs. The Laredo schools are what gives us the weak region reputation.

I would have to say schools in West Texas have an easier road to the state semis.

Well I didn't say everyone else in region 4 sucks because I couldn't name it all. I know O'Connor and Taft be good and why Laredo schools never good?

Eaglewatcher
04-03-2005, 10:16 PM
Any of the rest of you guys want to go through Southlake in region one to get an "easy" trip to the semi's be my guest.

RGVBadBoy
04-03-2005, 10:42 PM
i dont think that anyone is saying that SLC is weak, but the ElPaso schools certainly are in Region 1, Laredo schools in Region 4 are really weak, however Laredo Nixon aint terrible, they're by no means tops in the state, but they aren't some joke like the rest of the Laredo schools, i saw them play SA Taft this past season in the Alamodome in the regional semi final and they gave Taft all they wanted in the 1st half, but the depth Taft had was just too much for them in the 2nd, unfortunaltly for Nixon there are 2 halfs in football games......this past season Smithson Valley was an OUTSTANDING team, the RGV sent 12-0 SanBenito (who had one of the toughest defenses i saw all season) to play SV in the regional semi and it got ugly in real quick, SanBenito was missing almost half of their Offensive starters including their 2,000yrd rushing QB and their 1,200yrd RB was injured also, as well as some on defense, but even if they had their whole team, SV still would have pounded them.......i think its a toss up between the regions, we all have our cupcakes, there is no doubt about that...

Red Raiders
04-04-2005, 04:24 PM
i dont think that anyone is saying that SLC is weak, but the ElPaso schools certainly are in Region 1, Laredo schools in Region 4 are really weak, however Laredo Nixon aint terrible, they're by no means tops in the state, but they aren't some joke like the rest of the Laredo schools, i saw them play SA Taft this past season in the Alamodome in the regional semi final and they gave Taft all they wanted in the 1st half, but the depth Taft had was just too much for them in the 2nd, unfortunaltly for Nixon there are 2 halfs in football games......this past season Smithson Valley was an OUTSTANDING team, the RGV sent 12-0 SanBenito (who had one of the toughest defenses i saw all season) to play SV in the regional semi and it got ugly in real quick, SanBenito was missing almost half of their Offensive starters including their 2,000yrd rushing QB and their 1,200yrd RB was injured also, as well as some on defense, but even if they had their whole team, SV still would have pounded them.......i think its a toss up between the regions, we all have our cupcakes, there is no doubt about that...

Why is Laredo schools not good I mean very weak, are they close to San Antonio and Mexico?

MojoRaiderPower
04-04-2005, 04:30 PM
Only one answer, region IV

Red Raiders
04-04-2005, 04:33 PM
Only one answer, region IV

What does that mean? Region 4 has whole bunch of school. What do you exactly mean region 4?

MojoRaiderPower
04-04-2005, 04:45 PM
What does that mean? Region 4 has whole bunch of school. What do you exactly mean region 4?

What schools are you talking about?

Red Raiders
04-04-2005, 04:53 PM
What schools are you talking about?

All Laredo schools.

MojoRaiderPower
04-04-2005, 04:57 PM
All Laredo schools.

That is why it is the worst Region!!!

Red Raiders
04-04-2005, 04:58 PM
That is why it is the worst Region!!!

I am talking about why they are so bad in region 4 or does it have to do with the majority or what is it, theres got to be something not good in region 4???

MojoRaiderPower
04-04-2005, 04:59 PM
I am talking about why they are so bad in region 4 or does it have to do with the majority or what is it, theres got to be something not good in region 4???

The place is undesireable to live, Nothing to attract a good coach!!

Red Raiders
04-04-2005, 05:01 PM
The place is undesireable to live, Nothing to attract a good coach!!

Oh I got you now, thats what I was talking about. I have never been to Laredo though so I didn't know why is it bad for them in Football.

RedRage00
04-05-2005, 11:41 AM
I would not want to live in Laredo......

Oh, and Region I has El Paso....I wouldn't wanna live there either.

RR

TheDuke
04-05-2005, 12:56 PM

RR

NO DOUBT!! When my Rig was in Laredo it was 112 Degree's at night once!! When the wind was blowing it felt like the heater blowing on you at full blast!! TERRIBLE!!

RGVBadBoy
04-05-2005, 02:29 PM
Laredo is a horrible place, i have to agree, but not all of region 4 is like that, the RGV is hot, but not unbearable by anymeans, Laredo is just an arm pitt of our state with some of the worst crime......i would not wnat to live there either, but as a football team, Laredo Nixon is pretty good....i dont think any ElPaso school could beat them..

RedRage00
04-05-2005, 02:35 PM
Laredo Nixon is the best IN Laredo......but that doesn't mean they are great.

I saw them lose to SA Marshall last season 48-28 and Marshall wasn't even a playoff team in their Northside ISD district....

They could probably take down El Paso though....

Texasfrog
04-05-2005, 02:51 PM
Believe it or not.. El Paso usually produces at least 1 good team each year that can play.

There not a Top #20 State team by any means but they can put up a somewhat respectful game against a Texas top #20 team.

PS. Its been about 3 years since I've been down to Laredo but I hear its taken a major nose dive to the pits. I know they have a major drug problem and some narcotic organization seem to of taken haven in the Laredo region.

RGVBadBoy
04-05-2005, 03:19 PM
Laredo Nixon is the best IN Laredo......but that doesn't mean they are great.

I saw them lose to SA Marshall last season 48-28 and Marshall wasn't even a playoff team in their Northside ISD district....

They could probably take down El Paso though....
no no, Nixon isnt great, but they are pretty good (for a Laredo team), i know they could take out several teams in texas, including all of El Paso......All of em

Red Raiders
04-05-2005, 04:40 PM

RR

Whats the majority in Laredo and El Paso? I know there both next to Mexico.

JC73
04-05-2005, 09:35 PM
This is such a tired argument. I can tell it's not football season. :D

RGVBadBoy
04-05-2005, 11:40 PM
Whats the majority in Laredo and El Paso? I know there both next to Mexico.
its hispanic, but dont even go there.......

RedRage00
04-06-2005, 03:09 PM
This is such a tired argument. I can tell it's not football season. :D

Yeah, but we need something to talk about!!!!!!!!

VIPER PRIDE!

Red Raiders
04-06-2005, 04:30 PM
its hispanic, but dont even go there.......

Why? Alot of Gangs ain't it? I never been to Laredo or El Paso and they both seem bad there.

RGVBadBoy
04-06-2005, 07:50 PM
its not about the gangs, there is alot of drugs and such, the problem with living along the border is that fact that Mexico is right there, i have nothing against Mexico, shoot i am hispanic, but what i do have a problem with is the fact that Mexico lures the HS kids overthere on weekends and whatnot to go to their nightclubs where anyone can get into no matter your age, to drink, smoke and what not, another thing about Laredo and this kinda goes for most border towns, is the fact that the communities are usually very poor, sure the state helps the HS out, but to what extent???? when kids have to go to school, then go to FB practice till 6:00 then go to work at McDonalds or BurgerKING just to help their mom and dad or mom or dad make ends meet, it makes it kinda hard to work hard on football, school and then have a job......its hard on poorer communities, to really win, areas like SLC, Katy, SmithsonValley, AustinWeslake, SA O'Connor, are all in districts where the avg houshold income is more than 90K, most of the teams in ElPaso, Laredo, DelRio and the RGV are in districts where the combined avg houshold income is less thant 35K....as anything there are exceptions, but not many......its not so much a racial thing, as many would like to say, shoot, some of the best players i have seen have been white, mexican as well as black......these areas DO have athletes, but as someone stated earlier, no one wants to coach in them because they dont think there is a chance to win because the areas are so poor...

Red Raiders
04-06-2005, 09:32 PM
its not about the gangs, there is alot of drugs and such, the problem with living along the border is that fact that Mexico is right there, i have nothing against Mexico, shoot i am hispanic, but what i do have a problem with is the fact that Mexico lures the HS kids overthere on weekends and whatnot to go to their nightclubs where anyone can get into no matter your age, to drink, smoke and what not, another thing about Laredo and this kinda goes for most border towns, is the fact that the communities are usually very poor, sure the state helps the HS out, but to what extent???? when kids have to go to school, then go to FB practice till 6:00 then go to work at McDonalds or BurgerKING just to help their mom and dad or mom or dad make ends meet, it makes it kinda hard to work hard on football, school and then have a job......its hard on poorer communities, to really win, areas like SLC, Katy, SmithsonValley, AustinWeslake, SA O'Connor, are all in districts where the avg houshold income is more than 90K, most of the teams in ElPaso, Laredo, DelRio and the RGV are in districts where the combined avg houshold income is less thant 35K....as anything there are exceptions, but not many......its not so much a racial thing, as many would like to say, shoot, some of the best players i have seen have been white, mexican as well as black......these areas DO have athletes, but as someone stated earlier, no one wants to coach in them because they dont think there is a chance to win because the areas are so poor...

Interesting, I see what your saying completly. They have alot of people down there don't care about school but they care about there jobs, I rather wait to go college first to get a really good job so why they do that first? Its probably due to there parents.

Yes I can tell there are some really good players down in Laredo but they can't maintence there grades.

what you said SLC, Katy, SmithsonValley, AustinWeslake, SA O'Connor, are all in districts where the avg houshold income is more than 90K is true and you see Fort Bend schools or Sugar Land schools southwest Houston, every house down there is 2 story and over $100,000k with only like 60,000 people and growing very fast. Fort Bend schools aren't great in football and I don't know why but there real good at everything else but they have alot respectful kids in Fort Bend because of there parents and there jobs. Katy is next to Sugar Land (Fort Bend).

CoppellCowboy57
04-07-2005, 02:11 PM
the one with SLC

lonny23
04-11-2005, 12:08 AM
There are bad to horrible districts in each region, but the region with the most bad teams in a lot of years is Region 3. That is always balanced by a few outstanding teams.

RedRage00
04-11-2005, 02:55 PM
There are bad to horrible districts in each region, but the region with the most bad teams in a lot of years is Region 3. That is always balanced by a few outstanding teams.

I agree....this argument is PLAYED!!!

There are weak districts in EVERY region.....

Red Raiders
04-11-2005, 04:46 PM

Region 2 always have been good because Lufkin and Tyler Lee and most of the teams because East Texas important sport is Football. I can always seen people at school playing football anytime.

KT2000
04-11-2005, 05:37 PM
Regions 1 and 4 have claimed more state championships than 2 and 3 combined since the formation of 5A if I remember right.

There are weak districts in every region for sure. I also agree with the posters who've said that there is usually a team from El Paso or the Valley that can put together a respectable performance against a "top tier" program.

Franklin and Montwood have proven tough outs recently in the playoffs. I didn't know how good of a game San Benito could give Smithson Valley last year, but I believe they had some key players out for that game.

Xfballphenome05
04-11-2005, 06:46 PM
hmm,even if they had a few players out,51-0,i dont think it would have made much of a difference..they had like a million fans tho,there side was packed!

GoOwls
04-11-2005, 08:55 PM
The thread is about the worst REGION. That means you have to judge it as a whole, all 50 or 60 teams as a group. While the San Antonio area has many strong teams, those 5 or 6 teams don't make up for the rest of the lot. Region 1 has the Odessa/Abilene/Midland district plus the western half of the always strong Metroplex. Region 2 had the eastern half of the Metroplex and the East Texas schools. Region 3 has the southern East Texas schools and the Metro Houston schools. In those three regions it is difficult to get an easy regional semi- or final. In Region 4, basically, the San Antonio schools beat up the rest of the region and fight it out for the semi-final spot. Region 4 is year in and year out, top to bottom, the weakest by far. Not even close.

RGVBadBoy
04-11-2005, 10:34 PM
hmm,even if they had a few players out,51-0,i dont think it would have made much of a difference..they had like a million fans tho,there side was packed!
id say it makes a huge difference when your using a 3rd string QB, when your 1st string QB had run for more than 2,000yrds, im not saying SanBenito couldve beaten SmithsonValley, in fact i dont think they could have, but had SanBenito been at full strength, as SV was, i think it would have been much closer.....the QB Randy Reza taht SanBenito lost was a beast!!!! i believe Reza was about 5'10 215lbs running a 4.6, their back up was much smaller but much faster, he was taken out during the Area game (broken clavical), the 3rd string kid that played against SV was about 5'9 160lbs running about 4.9, i'd say say thats a big BIG difference, SanBenito was also missing several members from an outstanding Defensive unit......like i said, i dont think SanBenito could have beaten SmithsonValley, but i think if they were healthy they might have been able to make it a game.......ya'll never saw SanBenito at full strength, i did, they were really good, really good!!!!!

dragonsdaddy
04-12-2005, 12:25 PM
san b had mostly played weak rgv teams up til sv game. who did they beat that could and did play with another strong team. in general i'd say calling san b really good vs rgv teams is damning them with faint praise.

RPM
04-12-2005, 01:28 PM
san benito would have lost to SV with or without there star players...and If they would of been at full strength I believe San Bene would of scored maybe 2 TDs maybe mmaaayyybee even 3...but thats it...I think they had 7 starters out for that game but I still dont think that would of made a diff....

Red Raiders
04-12-2005, 04:31 PM
san benito would have lost to SV with or without there star players...and If they would of been at full strength I believe San Bene would of scored maybe 2 TDs maybe mmaaayyybee even 3...but thats it...I think they had 7 starters out for that game but I still dont think that would of made a diff....

Yes I wouldn't make any difference anyway, thats alot of starter out for the game but why is that?

RGVBadBoy
04-13-2005, 12:27 AM
san b had mostly played weak rgv teams up til sv game. who did they beat that could and did play with another strong team. in general i'd say calling san b really good vs rgv teams is damning them with faint praise.
here we go, another fan of the ALLMIGHTY SouthLakeCarrol Dragons to tell us how weak our brand of football is here in the RGV.......well excuse the hell out of me......not everyone can have a team like SLC, Lufkin, SV, Katy, etc..... notice that you can only really truelly name about 10 maybe 11 schools that have that "elite" status, thats it, 10 or 11 out of howmany....250-300 5A schools..... i never said, that SB couldve beaten SV, all i said is that if they had the 7, count em' 7 STARTERS they lost for that game, i think they couldv'e made it more interesting, like 42-14 interesting, certainly not the 51-0 score that they ended up with...... sure none of the RGV schools are on par with the elites, again i never said they were....but to call them WEAK is just plain arrogant and wrong.......San Benito at full strength couldve and wouldve beaten a whole lot of the teams here in Texas, so lets not just generalize what they did in the RGV, to a poor team beating alot of poorer teams, 12 to be exact.....dragonsdaddy, excuse us if we have enough pride in our teams to say, "maybe" but dont tear us down by calling our teams weak simply because your judgment is clouded by your arrogance in terms of your allmighty state champion, #1 nationally ranked SLC Dragons.... arrogant, misinformed people like you make me hope to god someone in texas knocks your team down a peg or two.... :mad:

drgnbkr
04-13-2005, 07:46 AM
I think it's true that who San Benito played during the year poorly prepared them for what they had to do in the playoffs..it's just a fact that you can't play a weak schedule and get prepared for the big games that count...thats no knock on South Texas Teams, just fact....IMO

dragonsdaddy
04-13-2005, 08:03 AM
i don't know why you couldn't have just answered the question. it is very simple really. since no team from the rgv ever wins a game outside of the valley, they are weak. i didn't know for sure about sb, but i'm guessing the answer is , no one. until something changes we will continue to think of them as they are.

RPM
04-13-2005, 10:07 AM
I say region 3

Chief Wahoo
04-13-2005, 12:37 PM
.... arrogant, misinformed people like you make me hope to god someone in texas knocks your team down a peg or two.... :mad:

As a perpetual fan of the underdog, I really hope that someone from the RGV can win a couple of playoff games and make a statement about how far you guys have come. Until then, it will be hard to garner respect outside of your area. Nobody stays on top forever. SLC won state last year in DII but had to fight and scratch their last 3 games and those games could have gone either way. SLC earned the respect and admiration of those 3 opponents and I am sure that the respect is mutual. Until they are knocked off, they are the DII Champs whether we like it or not. Now the arrogance issue....... : :(

RGVBadBoy
04-13-2005, 01:31 PM
i don't know why you couldn't have just answered the question. it is very simple really. since no team from the rgv ever wins a game outside of the valley, they are weak. i didn't know for sure about sb, but i'm guessing the answer is , no one. until something changes we will continue to think of them as they are.
no team ever wins out of the RGV huh???? yeah ok, shows howmuch you know bout HS Football, i know, shoot i think all RGV FB fan know who won the StateTitle, but to say RGV teams "never" win outside of the RGV is stupid and again very misinformed, last season SanBenito went 12-1, it just so happens that they had the luck of the draw to get State Finalist SmithsonValley (UNDOUBTABLY the #2 team in the State, yes above Lufkin and Abiline) in the regional semi final and lost....but now that i think about it, mighty SLC almost lost to SV too......the season before 3A PortIsabel, another RGV team was in the SemiFinal, last season they were in the Regional Final, 4A now 5A Sharyland (another injury laiden team) was also in the Regional Semi in 03' and lost to then #8 NewBraunsfels Canyon 19-0, the very same season PSJA North was also in the Regional Semi and lost to then #7 SA O'Connor 28-21...then if you remember Mission HS (you know the school that still holds nearly every passing record in Texas whom happens to hail from the RGV) in the early 90s, that was another RGV team that was consistantly a force to be recond with......so hows that for a little success or in your words, "a win outside of the RGV"?????? I'm not saying the RGV teams are the best in texas.......all im saying is that they're not weak.....its more question of who they play........Harlingen for example could never get out of the regional final because they always end up losing to the eventual state champ or runner up.....one year, Austin Weslake, another to Kliff Kingsburry at NewBraunsfels and yet again w/ Converse Judson..TWICE....and believe me, Harlingen gave all those teams all they wanted, that further proves my point as to how RGV teams CAN compete......SanAntonio consistantly has some of the toughest teams in the state, SmithsonValley,Madison, Marshall, Clark, Churchill, Taft, Judson, Roosevelt, O'Connor, etc...etc....etc... so of coarse they are gonna dominate the Region, just like the Dallas area dominates their region and the Houston area theirs.....thats just the way it goes.....the RGV teams are NOT weak, its more like the teams in their region are just REALLY strong......the RGV is constantly right there knocking at the door in Region 4, but just like SLC has its grip on Region 2 and Longview & Tyler have it on Region 3, SAs got it on Region 4.......Next season watch other teams beside your own and see for yourself that Dallas, Houston and SanAntonio are not the only areas in Texas that have good quality football teams......maybe then your opinions wont be so deluded and naive

Mr. Buddy Garrity
04-13-2005, 01:33 PM
I say region 3
Your joking right?

drgnbkr
04-13-2005, 05:33 PM
Wow badboy...settle down! All your post alluded to were all of the non-RGV teams that your RGV teams lost to....all we're saying is that your South Texas teams roll until they play someone from other than the valley area...then they lose..

RGVBadBoy
04-13-2005, 06:08 PM
Wow badboy...settle down! All your post alluded to were all of the non-RGV teams that your RGV teams lost to....all we're saying is that your South Texas teams roll until they play someone from other than the valley area...then they lose..
yes, all the non RGV teams they lost to were deep in the playoffs, remember what dragondaddy said, we "cant beat anyone out of the RGV", ohhh yes we can and that was my point, sure we lose to state powers but so does everyone else, that is why they carry the moniker "state power", there was a time when SouthlakeCarrol wasnt a state champion and lost to some really good teams.....did that mean that they were weak????? NO, is Katy weak??? no, they lost in the regional final......howabout a team like SA Madison or Abiline, those teams are always knocking on the door deep in the playoffs but usually dont make it or havent made it........does that make em' weak??????? its true that RGV teams lose late in the playoffs, but atleast they make it there, that says something in it self, remember, in order to make it to the regional or quarter finals, we got to go through the RGV, Laredo, Corpus Christi as well as some SanAntonio schools....and we (the RGV) send a team every year.....the RGV is NOT content with mearely making the post season, we want a State Title, whether we get one or not, that remains to be seen, but every time we play deep in the playoffs, we carry that mentallity or chip on our shoulder, that we know you dont respect us, so we are willing to do whatever it takes to earn ours......that is why i get irritated with some ignorant people who think they know but have no idea

Xfballphenome05
04-13-2005, 06:24 PM
i dont think there is alot of good teams that come out of the RVG.there generally just not as good as teams in other parts of the state,u dont c teams like katy,lufkin,slc,sv,judson in the rvg..teams just arent as good. bottom line,the rvg is rlly weak.

RGVBadBoy
04-13-2005, 06:26 PM
yeah, we'll see how weak our team are next season in the Semi Finals...... :)

dragonsdaddy
04-13-2005, 06:47 PM
if i'm ignorant, it's because you are yet to name a team outside the valley that sb or any other 5a team has beaten recently. since the last team south of sa to play in a semifinal game was during the kennedy years, i'm sure you can come up with several. let's relax and let you run some of these victories by us so we can all revel in the powers from the south.

Xfballphenome05
04-13-2005, 07:35 PM
you tell him dragondaddy.

dragonsdaddy
04-13-2005, 08:09 PM
i'll give you the first one and it surprised me when donna beat monterrey in 03 alamodome. good win. any others?

PackAttack2005
04-13-2005, 09:00 PM
Region 4 is the weakest of the regions today. With only Smithson Valley and a handful of San Antonio schools, there is not much competition left since they moved the Austin schools (Austin Westlake) back into Region 2.

Region I, the Southlake-Denton Ryan and Midlland Lee- Abilene districts are so competitive now. I think Region 3 is the same with Katy, GP Northshore getting the competition from Clear Lake and Spring Westfield.

Region 2 is alway the overall toughest to get through at playoff time, there are alway 8 - 10 top teams in that region, although I think Region 1 is catching up.

It is really hard to say who is the weakest when you look at what has happen the past couple of years. Southake and Katy (Region 1 and 3)
have won one of the Division II crowns the past three years, while Tyler Lee ( Region 2), GP Northshore(Region 3) and Converse Judson(Region 4) have each won a Division I title the past three years. Smithson Valley( Region 4) and Lufkin(Region 2) have been to the Semi-finals in Division II, two of the past three years.

Here is a good question, does a weak region enhance your teams chance to get to the semi-finals or finals? or do good programs win despite the region they play in?

Go Pack!!!

RGVBadBoy
04-13-2005, 09:03 PM
if i'm ignorant, it's because you are yet to name a team outside the valley that sb or any other 5a team has beaten recently. since the last team south of sa to play in a semifinal game was during the kennedy years, i'm sure you can come up with several. let's relax and let you run some of these victories by us so we can all revel in the powers from the south.
where did i ever call any one of the RGV teams "POWERS"?????? again, you make it seem like i said that the RGV teams are all world, when my only argument is that they are not weak.....but you need examples of wins out of the RGV, hmmm i really wouldnt know where to start, the RGV plays teams from the Coastal Bend such as the Corpus Christi and Victoria schools, Laredo schools, SanAntono schools and has wins against each as well as Lubbock.......none of these areas are part of the RGV.......if you didnt knwo that, maybe you should have paid more attention in geography class, huh???? again, you talk about the RGV teams like we're some pathetic bastardized area that shouldnt even have football programs.............why, because we havent been in a regional or Semi final game in few years.... but isnt that true for a bunch of teams throughout the state????? when was the last time i saw Odessa Permian in a state championship......shoot, or a regional final for that matter????????? are they weak???? they havent been deep in the playoffs in years and theres a movie about them!!!!! Dragondaddy your comments or arguements, whatever you wanna call em', are misinformed, ignorant, arrogant, tired and just plain stupid......when you have a better arguement or rebuttle as to exactly why the RGV teams are so weak, not just because we havent won a state title since Kennedy was in office as your beloved almighty SLC Dragons have, then reply

Chief Wahoo
04-13-2005, 09:11 PM
i'll give you the first one and it surprised me when donna beat monterrey in 03 alamodome. good win. any others?

THAT one didn't actually surprise me. Monty is a notoriously slow starting team. Coach Morton's team can often be easily beaten early in the year but hang real tough come playoff time. They age well. Remember your 2003 playoff game against them in Lubbock? Whew! :eek:

dragonsdaddy
04-13-2005, 09:17 PM
i may have used rgv incorrectly, but my real question should be involving teams from sa and points north. laredo and cc are equally powerful to the rgv. none of the areas has many wins outside the south texas arena. i've come up with one, though surely one of them has beaten a sa team in a po game. and weakness is defined by success, or lack thereof, versus outside competition. the truth may be hard to swallow, but that doesn't change anything about it. please list any of these wins north of corpus and laredo so we can be enlightened.
i never said you won a state title then, only played for one vs garland in 63(a cc school). no big school trips ever for a true rgv school. some coastal bend and valley smaller classification teams have made some noise thru the years. you can obfuscate to your hearts desire, but show me a quality win in the last 30 years except the l-monty and we'll talk about it.

RGVBadBoy
04-13-2005, 09:19 PM
THAT one didn't actually surprise me. Monty is a notoriously slow starting team. Coach Morton's team can often be easily beaten early in the year but hang real tough come playoff time. They age well. Remember your 2003 playoff game against them in Lubbock? Whew! :eek:
you see what i mean???? just because Monterrey starts slow, doesnt make em weak......does it????? Donna is an RGV team and Donna beat em' you know Lubbock didnt respect Donna and look what happened, they lost in a big game atmosphere to a "weak" RGV team in the Alamodome for crying out loud......and thats cause they gave the almight #1 SLC Dragons all they wanted and then some......

RGVBadBoy
04-13-2005, 09:27 PM
i may have used rgv incorrectly, but my real question should be involving teams from sa and points north. laredo and cc are equally powerful to the rgv. none of the areas has many wins outside the south texas arena. i've come up with one, though surely one of them has beaten a sa team in a po game. and weakness is defined by success, or lack thereof, versus outside competition. the truth may be hard to swallow, but that doesn't change anything about it. please list any of these wins north of corpus and laredo so we can be enlightened.
after i list some north of corpus am i gonna have to list some north houston and so on????? Mission High with Koy Detmer beat SA Madison, blew them out actually in 91', EdcouchElsa blew out Austin Lanier in 99', Edinburg beat SA Taft in 98', we know what Donna did against Lubbock, PortIsabel, well they've beaten just about every 3A power in Texas taht isnt named Sealy in all regions......most, if not all of those wins was in our Region, they are not as few and far between as you think either, like i state earlier, it goes as the luck of the draw in the playoffs.......we'll end up drawing ConverseJudson, Marshall, Madison, or SmithsonValley and its over for us......but then again, it would be over for jsut about any team in any region....

drgnbkr
04-13-2005, 09:27 PM
His silence is deafening....(he can't) ;)

RGVBadBoy
04-13-2005, 09:30 PM
ohh and you cannot say the RGV teams and Laredo teams even in the same sentence.......the RGV only has 1 loss to a laredo team in recent memory.....unfortunatley it was my beloved Sharyland Rattlers last season to Nixon.....but no other RGV team has lost a laredo school in several years, SEVERAL years......Corpus teams however can be real tough with CC Carrol, CC Moody, CC Calallen, Gregory Portland, Sinton, Alice, and Victoria all having storied histories.....

RGVBadBoy
04-13-2005, 09:32 PM
His silence is deafening....(he can't) ;)
just did!!!!!!!

dragonsdaddy
04-13-2005, 09:34 PM
the 5a cc programs have a very distant storied past. they have had almost no successes of late and have been outshone many times by calallen and gp.

Chief Wahoo
04-13-2005, 09:39 PM
you see what i mean???? just because Monterrey starts slow, doesnt make em weak......does it????? Donna is an RGV team and Donna beat em' you know Lubbock didnt respect Donna and look what happened, they lost in a big game atmosphere to a "weak" RGV team in the Alamodome for crying out loud......and thats cause they gave the almight #1 SLC Dragons all they wanted and then some......

Hey, the chief is trying to see your side here amigo- don't ream my poop chute! Since we play Monty every year early in the season, I was just stating a fact. They are not very good usually. I never said that that was the only reason Donna beat them. I simply wasn't surprised knowing Monty's history. Now come November playoff time, Morton has those boys playing solid ball usually. :p

KT2000
04-13-2005, 10:13 PM
RGV, I like your fire. Keep repping your school and region with pride on here. I notice we have a lot more presence from South Texas so far on the new board, and I've been waiting on that. I've seen some of your RGV boards, and know yall really talk a lot of football. I've been hoping at least a few of you would make it this way. Now, if I could just find some El Paso posters, we'll have almost every area represented.

Firebird
04-14-2005, 12:42 AM
RGVBadboy (and all others) --

Hey, here is another RGV fan to try and help you out regarding valley "quality wins"

1. Donna over Lubbock Monterrey
2. Edinburg over SA Taft, 1999 (Edinburg lost in the semi's)
3. Missionover SA Madison, 1990 (lost in Semis)
4. Harlingen over SA Marshall and Austin LBJ, 1989 (lost in quarterfinals)

And, as RGV put it, there have been several games where SA area teams got all they could handle.(Harlingen is always breaking RGV fans hearts in those games). But to be honest, we don't fair toowell against up-state opponents (Although I do like how the SLC Dad keeps moving the line northward). The question is, why? I have watched Texas HS Football all over the state and here are my opinions on what it is and ain't.

1. It ain't speed, athletic ability, support, or dedication. I've watched plenty of blindingly quick RGV players, players that can break opponents ankles. Athletically, they match up pretty well. They work just as hard, and they get plenty of support from the community.

2. It is SIZE. Walk down the hallway of a RGV school, then a Dallas/SA/Houston/West Texas School. You will be astonished at the difference. When a 6-1 SA reciever lines up against an equaly fast, equally athletic 5-6 valley DB-- you get the picture. Every game I have watched when Valley teams play SA teams, they get BLOWN off the line. We can't match up against the 260+ linemen those guys are lining up. It is simple physics.

cont....

Firebird
04-14-2005, 12:55 AM
3. It is ECONOMICS. The poorest counties in the USA are in the RGV. Fancy football camps-- forget it, our folks can't afford it. Personal trainers, strength coaches, that kind of stuff-- nope, we can't afford it. Can our kids focus on 7 on 7 during the summer? The lucky ones can, but quite a few are out there working, helping make ends meet. Not to mention all the potential athletes that line our halls, but can't go out for ball because they have to work/ are migrant students, etc, etc. This doesn't only hurt us-- with a few notable exceptions (Lufkin, GP North Shore), recently 5a footbal is dominated by schools with LOTS of wealth-- Tyler Lee, SLC, Katy, SV, The Woodlands... it could go on and on. Look at how the Little SWC has fallen off, at least in terms of State Championships.

4. Finally, our administrators prediliction for splitting schools has hurt us. Look at Harlingen. In 1989, they beat TWO up state schools, a few years later they split, for no real reason other than to get an extra principal job. I remember quite a few years that Harlingen and Harlingen South both sent a few players on to play college ball. I won't say the split cost us a State Championship, but probably a few trips to semi's. Mission did the same thing. So did Edinburg, PSJA, Mission, Weslaco. Why split- up the state places like Judson have pop. around 5,000. Most of our schools, if combined, would be about that number. Dividing our already limited talent pool hurts us.

In summary-- yeah, the RGV is fairly weak, but can hold its own with areas like CC, El Paso, Laredo, Panhandle.... But, like everyone else, when we run into these huge, rich, suburban schools we have our problems. That's why I like East Texas so much-- they really give the big city guys a run for their money, even with the socio-economic deck stacked against them.

RGVBadBoy
04-14-2005, 01:41 AM
thank you firbird, a very well thoughtout series of statements that is ultimatley true and very relevant to the topic.......my only point is that the RGV is not filled with a bunch of WEAK teams, they may not be state champs, but they're ours and thats why we are proud..

Chief Wahoo
04-14-2005, 06:15 AM
thank you firebird, a very well thoughtout series of statements that is ultimately true and very relevant to the topic.......my only point is that the RGV is not filled with a bunch of WEAK teams, they may not be state champs, but they're ours and thats why we are proud..

Agreed. Well thought out and presented by Firebird. And RGV, you SHOULD be proud. Those young men leave it all on the field every Friday night in the Fall just like all the other players in this great state. Your presence in the stands means everything to them as well. They need vocal fans such as yourself! Good luck next season amigo! ;)

Firebird
04-14-2005, 08:42 AM
Yeah, Bad Boy, you are right- they are ours, and we should be proud. In lots of areas, RGV Football takes a back seat to no one. We have THE best fans, hands down the entire region always comes behind a team that makes a good play-off run. The SA teams may beat us, but we ALWAYS have abetter crowd. I would say that the community aspect of HS football is a lot more pronounced in the RGV as compared to a lot of the other placecs I have been. There may be 20,000 people at an RGV game, but the atmosphere is more similar to an up-state 2a school than it is to a big 5a school. The way the entire community rallies behind their sons-- it is great.

I would also say at times our diminshed expectations gets the better of us when we play the SA schools. No one expects our kids to be able to stay on the field-- and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

I remember the 1994 Harlingen squad that lost to Judson in the quarter-finals. If any Valley team had a shot to go really deep, this team was it. They had the state 5a MVP in Mo Hunter (a legit talent-- he had offers from several big name D-1 programs, he just couldn't get his grades down. Later he a good career at Navarro JC). They had the biggest OL/DL of any Valley team I remember. Just an all-around good team. When they took the field against Judson, they weren't dwarfed, like so many other times Valley teams played SA. But come game time, it was like they forgot how to play the game. Stupid errors, playing with fear-- they entered the lockeroom at the half WAY behind.

Second half was a different story. It was like they figured out that kids in SA put on their pants on one leg at a time. They outcored Judson like 20-7 in that half, if they had played the whole game that way they would have won, by a few TDs. (They lost 29-20). But, going into the game they expected to be outclassed-- because Valley teams "always" lose to the upstate schools.

RPM
04-14-2005, 09:06 AM
Your joking right?

maybe maybe not...LOL!

RPM
04-14-2005, 09:08 AM

:rolleyes: one of the weakest Donna teams ever...according to upstate powers the valley never starts....

RPM
04-14-2005, 09:08 AM
how many 5a teams in each region??

or who are the elite teams or powers of each region...

dragonsdaddy
04-14-2005, 10:43 AM
thanks for the info firebird. i knew there were other instanses. good luck down there. i know it's a tough economic situation having lived for 6 years in kingsville recently.

RGVBadBoy
04-14-2005, 11:19 AM
FireBird, i think if any RGV team has a chance to do something special this next season its Harlingen in 5A D I, the Cardinals return nearly their entire Defense and one of the fastest ariel Offenses the RGV will have seen in a long time (very similar to Mission in the early 90s), IMO if they can get past SA Reagan in the dome (which they should easily) it should be smooth sailing from then on all the way until the Regional final (Edinburg and LosFresnos should also have good years and could pose a problem for HHS), where they will likely meet Converse Judson (AGAIN), SA O'Connor or possibly Victoria Memorial or any of the other SA schools big enough to be DI, none of those teams is returning a whole lot and Harlingen will be able to match up with just about any team in the state next season, (athletically anyway) i dont think i would be too suprised to find the Harlingen Cardinals in the State Semi Finals agains the top Region 3 Houston DI team, where it goes from there we'll have to wait and see......i just hope they dont break our hearts again like they did with NewBraunfels in 97', if Harlingen does make the Semis, remember i said "if" IMO it would open the door for several RGV teams, i think one thing RGV teams really lack is confidense, there is no doubt we are fast, some teams even have some good size (Sharyland and LaJoya are usually BIG) but confidence is lacking when we go to SA and are surrounded by the mistique of some of the larger programs, whom are very beatable but in our minds, we're not playing another RGV, Laredo or CC school, we're playing say Judson and they are surrounded by all this mystique that Judson is the winningest team in Region 4 history, 5 time state champs and so on and so forth.......it can be done, just look at what little Port Isabel is able to accomplish year in and year out

jrdaniel
04-14-2005, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the posts Badboy and Firebird. The valley teams are certainly improving and making Region 4 harder each year. The times I have seen a team from the valley in the playoffs they have always had an enormous amount of fans - especially the games in SA. I doubt, even with Judson's large following, we have as many people in the valley for a playoff game as the valley has in SA.

Red Raiders
04-15-2005, 05:17 PM
I thought Valley schools don't care about football like the fans?

RGVBadBoy
04-15-2005, 11:25 PM
I thought Valley schools don't care about football like the fans?
i dont understand what you mean, the RGV is good at Soccer and has some good Baseball teams, but our true passion is football, here in the RGV it is regular to see the stadiums filled for scrimmages not just regular season or district games.......when the playoffs come around, you can expect to see fans from all over the RGV follow other teams than their own deep into the playoffs if their own isnt playing anymore, last season when SanBenito and SmithsonValley played, the Alamodome was FILLED on the Visitor (san benito) side.....from goal post to goal post PACKED!!! and not just w people from SB, but with people from all over the RGV to go and give their supports.......here in the RGV, Baseball and Soccer are big, but football reigns supreme....

Firebird
04-16-2005, 11:41 PM
Hey, Red Raider--

You really need to quit commenting on stuff you don't know anything about. Have you ever even been to the RGV?? I've watched football all over the state, Valley fans are the BEST, hands down, with West Texas coming in a close second. They travel better than any other group. When we play SA area teams in SA or Corpus, we always have much more fans. When a RGV team makes a good run we have fans from all the other RGV schools travel to the playoff games just to support the Valley.

ktCarl
04-20-2005, 08:40 PM
yeah, we'll see how weak our team are next season in the Semi Finals...... :)

Is La Hoya supposed to do well this season?

RGVBadBoy
04-20-2005, 09:25 PM
its spelled LaJoya or "the Jewel" in spanish, they should be alright, i seriously doubt they'll get by Harlingen though, LaJoya has 2 awsome RBs for next season, Juan Martinez 5'9 190 4.6 and a little speedster TB JoJo Ortiz 5'6 165 4.4 that is like lightning in a bottle.....actually JoJo will be running the 100m at the region 4 track meet next weekend, he has run as fast as 10.6 in the 100m, they also have alot of speed coming back on both offense and defense, so will they be good??? yes, will they be better than Harlingen, a team i fully expect to be in contention to win Region 4 i dont think so, but anything can happen

RGVBadBoy
04-20-2005, 09:29 PM
one thing i really expect to hear alot of next season is the old, "chile, tomate, cebolla......aqui biene los Coyotes de LaJoya" a translation is, peppers, tomatoes and onion (salsa, if you dont know what the ingrediants are for) here come the Coyotes of LaJoya......I LOVE IT!!!!!! mexican heritage for an American game......

ktCarl
04-25-2005, 09:39 PM
its spelled LaJoya or "the Jewel" in spanish, they should be alright, i seriously doubt they'll get by Harlingen though, LaJoya has 2 awsome RBs for next season, Juan Martinez 5'9 190 4.6 and a little speedster TB JoJo Ortiz 5'6 165 4.4 that is like lightning in a bottle.....actually JoJo will be running the 100m at the region 4 track meet next weekend, he has run as fast as 10.6 in the 100m, they also have alot of speed coming back on both offense and defense, so will they be good??? yes, will they be better than Harlingen, a team i fully expect to be in contention to win Region 4 i dont think so, but anything can happen

Is it tortiya or tortilla? Tomayto or tomahto. I should know that. My grandson (3yrs) lives in LaJoya and he IS a jewell! Don't be rattling off Espanol at me. I only know one phrase in Spanish..."Uno mas cerveca, por favor"!

Xfballphenome05
04-25-2005, 09:51 PM
the only spanish i know is"no cerveca no trabajo"

no beer no work

RGVBadBoy
04-26-2005, 02:05 AM
Is it tortiya or tortilla? Tomayto or tomahto. I should know that. My grandson (3yrs) lives in LaJoya and he IS a jewell! Don't be rattling off Espanol at me. I only know one phrase in Spanish..."Uno mas cerveca, por favor"!
you seem to be very bright, there is no shame in knowing two languages..

CoppellCowboy57
04-26-2005, 01:26 PM
Not Region 1 Says I

RedRage00
04-26-2005, 02:54 PM
This topic is PLAYED! We have discussed this FOREVER!

You can tell its offseason! :D

RR