PDA

View Full Version : Should Holmgren Be Fined?

Favpack
02-07-2006, 11:03 AM
Mike Holmgren made an unfortunate comment to a Seattle pep rally yesterday. He said

"We knew playing Pittsburgh would be tough...we didn't know we'd also have to play the men in the striped shirts..."

Coach Holmgren is a class act and was classy in defeat on Sunday. Seattle players stated they had an emergency team meeting after the game and agreed they would not whine about the refs - and they didn't. The coach was clearly playing to a pep rally crowd, but probably should have refrained.

The NFL agreed to not fine Joey Porter after his similar comments on the Colts game. Will they do the same to Holmgren?

I say they should (not fine him) - or they're hypocrits. Give him some slack -- and fix the darn system. We don't need 65 year old geezers trying to keep up with 265 pound guys that can all run 4.5 forties.

OILERDT54
02-07-2006, 11:06 AM
why would they fine him? he didnt make any negative comments about the officials so,...

Favpack
02-07-2006, 11:21 AM
why would they fine him? he didnt make any negative comments about the officials so,...

His comments were not as "out there" as Porter's. Joey said "we all know the NFL wants Peyton in the Super Bowl". Both comments were obviously made in frustration. But, the league could technically fine Holmgren - that's a pretty negative statement to me - even if it is true;) :eek:

mad_fan
02-07-2006, 11:43 AM
they probably will...saying...'haha, we took the game...now give us your money...'

GTown02
02-07-2006, 11:51 AM
IF they dont fine Porter for what he said, they should fine Holmgren.

wide-e-wide
02-07-2006, 11:59 AM
[Balki] Of course not don't be ridiculous [Balki]

Miss Kitty
02-07-2006, 12:24 PM
There is no way he should be fined for that.

TheDuke
02-07-2006, 01:11 PM
HELLLLL NOOO!!!!

What he said was right anyway! Everyone is talking about how bad the Refs were.

I can't believe that we STILL have a big game with bad calls!

We need to get those Old Farts out of the booth and get some younger guys that can see 20/20 vision!

dragonfootballfan
02-07-2006, 01:23 PM
My solution to this is to always have that huge referree at the super bowl. I think his name is Ed Hoculi(sp?). Every game I have seen him do has been pretty accurate and I will let all of you tell him that you don't think he did a good job. Seriously that guy is like the scariest guy in football. Maybe behind Shawn Taylor because he will shoot at you, or Ray Lewis because he will stab you. So number 3 on the list is a ref.

Favpack
02-07-2006, 01:23 PM
HELLLLL NOOO!!!!

What he said was right anyway! Everyone is talking about how bad the Refs were.

I can't believe that we STILL have a big game with bad calls!

We need to get those Old Farts out of the booth and get some younger guys that can see 20/20 vision!

The average age of NFL officials is 52! I heard today that soccer officials in Europe have to retire at the age of 45 because they know they can't keep up anymore. That's a bit high, but how about 55? Some of these guys leave the field for the nursing home every week.

dragonfootballfan
02-07-2006, 01:25 PM
The average age of NFL officials is 52! I heard today that soccer officials in Europe have to retire at the age of 45 because they know they can't keep up anymore. That's a bit high, but how about 55? Some of these guys leave the field for the nursing home every week.
if that huge ref is over 45 I will let you tell him that he has to retire.

TexasRed6x
02-07-2006, 09:48 PM
There is no way he should be fined for that.
He shouldn't be fined. He knew the refs were not doing their jobs the right way and he should be able to speak his opinion about it. He was upset with them throughout the whole game and I don't blame him.

yankee
02-08-2006, 09:02 AM
that guy is ripped for a ref. and he is over 50, there was a little blurb in the espn magazine.

pack0808
02-08-2006, 09:05 AM
I never thought i would quote a Justin Timberlake song but "Cry me a River" :p There is a big difference from a cocky player who talks all the time that is in his 20's then a respected coach (older man) saying something. You did not hear Cowher say one word after the Colt's game. It is over and the Steelers are the true champs. Deal with it Holmgren.

KT2000
02-08-2006, 09:15 AM
I don't think he should be fined for a comment he made to fans. He's said the right things to the media. Then again, the NFL could be seen as a borderline communist organization.

I agree with the majority of the country on ESPN who voted that officiating errors effected the outcome. I went into the game not giving a flyin' crap who won.

pack0808
02-08-2006, 09:17 AM
I don't think he should be fined for a comment he made to fans. He's said the right things to the media. Then again, the NFL is a borderline communist organization.

I agree with the majority of the country on ESPN who voted that officiating errors effected the outcome. I went into the game not giving a flyin' crap who won.

Yeah the score might have been 21-18 instead of 21-10. ;)

Favpack
02-08-2006, 09:42 AM
Yeah the score might have been 21-18 instead of 21-10. ;)

The entire world has spoken. The refs affected the outcome of this game. Who knows what the score would have been. Given their big play tendency - Pitt. probably would have won regardless of the assistance they got.

That's the whole point KT and I have made all along - me more ad nauseum - the refs were SO BAD they had a bearing on the game.

AZTiger
02-08-2006, 12:11 PM

ha ha, I actually got to meet Ed Hochuli at the Lifetime Fitness where I workout at in Tempe. He's taller than I thought, and that dude is SWOLL.

Guarantee no one on this board would tell him to his face he needs to retire :)

AZTiger
02-08-2006, 12:13 PM
and no he shouldn't be fined...he was just playin to the crowd at that rally

Miss Kitty
02-08-2006, 01:18 PM
ha ha, I actually got to meet Ed Hochuli at the Lifetime Fitness where I workout at in Tempe. He's taller than I thought, and that dude is SWOLL.

Guarantee no one on this board would tell him to his face he needs to retire :)

I'll tell him.....Bring him on! LOL :D