PDA

View Full Version : GA Moore- The Man, The Myth, The Legend

SLC
11-05-2009, 01:31 AM
Very nice article in the DMN on Coach Moore...Good read if you have a few minutes....

G.A. Moore has made believers, contenders out of Aubrey

http://www.hsgametime.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/11-09/1105moore.jpg

G.A. Moore stood in front of the crowded cafeteria last spring, cowboy hat snug on his head like always, and promised that he would mold the young men at Aubrey into winners.

Players and parents sat and listened. Some wondered about the message. Would Moore, a man who coached at rival Pilot Point, know and care about what is best for Aubrey or was this comeback for personal gain?

That was in the spring. Going into Friday's Class 2A District 10 title game against Pilot Point, Aubrey has won a school-record nine games. The Chaparrals have shut out six opponents and clinched a playoff spot.

If they win on Friday, they'll win the district for the first time.

The skeptics are using words like "mentor," "father figure" and "true coach" to describe Moore.

The enitire story is here....

http://www.hsgametime.com/dfw/sharedcontent/dws/content/topstories/stories/110509dnspomoore.428259f.html

E-Vol-ution
11-05-2009, 06:11 AM
What the heck does this guy put in the soup?
Can any Texas HS football coach make a claim to being better?

33Blood
11-05-2009, 08:20 AM

NO. He has the most immediate impact on a program than any coach ever.

SLC93
11-05-2009, 08:57 AM
What the heck does this guy put in the soup?

Certainly some can claim but that doesn't mean they'd be correct. He'll always fight the stigma of coaching at smaller schools but his results are undeniable and since he's done it everywhere he's been you know it's more him than other, contributing factors.

33Blood
11-05-2009, 09:28 AM
He'll always fight the stigma of coaching at smaller schools

He had an immediate impact at Sherman when they were 5A, taking a team with only 1 winning season in the last 8 and 0-10 the year before he got there to back to back 6-4 seasons. So I never have understood why people say he failed at Sherman.

E-Vol-ution
11-05-2009, 09:55 AM
The myth? He's Chuck Norris daddy.

Maroondog
11-05-2009, 10:10 AM
Whatever it is he's been doing all these years, he is getting it done. You don't win that many games in any classification by accident.

Matthew 2000 Eagle
11-05-2009, 11:57 AM
He had an immediate impact at Sherman when they were 5A, taking a team with only 1 winning season in the last 8 and 0-10 the year before he got there to back to back 6-4 seasons. So I never have understood why people say he failed at Sherman.

SLC and I had a conversation about G.A. coaching at Sherman last week. Coach layed the foundation, and Outlaw came in right after, helped out a little as well. Trimble Tech had some good non district contests against Sherman, in the late '80s. The early '90s was a different story. LOL!

Matthew 2000 Eagle
11-05-2009, 11:58 AM
The myth? He's Chuck Norris daddy.

:notworthy

SLC93
11-06-2009, 08:00 AM

Agreed and I'm no saying that I support the belief of some that his win total isnt' on par because he coached at smaller schools. It's what he prefered and where he was most comfortable. There is nothing wrong with that, at all. At the end of the day you simply do not win at that rate at every stop you make without being elite, regardless of class.

b756561
11-07-2009, 01:45 AM

It really helps your program when you hire an assistant coach who just happens to be the father of the kid considered to be the best HS quarterback in the state. Of course the family then moves to Sherman (the mother is offered a job at T.I.) where the kid then starts attending Sherman High, and oh, while he's here, he might as well play on the Sherman team as the starting QB.
Of course that was just one cog that made the machine work. It also took great coaching to turn that program around.