PDA

View Full Version : 2A to be split in 2010

LoboFan07
10-26-2009, 10:22 AM
The results of a referendum ballot on split-conference alignment for Class 2A schools was also unveiled. The 2A schools voted 121-75 in favor of a split-conference alignment for football, which would separate 2A into Division I and Division II prior to the season, rather than after the regular season. That setup is currently used in Class 1A six-man and 11-man football.

Class 2A will begin its split-conference alignment, which places 16 districts in Division I and 16 districts in Division II prior to the regular season, in time for the 2010 football season.

Am interested to see how it turns out.

Tut
10-26-2009, 03:15 PM
It's used in 6 man now.
I believe 1A (11 man) starts next year.

SLC
10-26-2009, 03:22 PM
It's used in 6 man now.
I believe 1A (11 man) starts next year.

That is correct. Originally they talked about doing it for 1A prior to this season, but ultimately waited for next year because of the realignment. It would have been to difficult because of districts already aligned with their schedules set. Both 1A and 2A will do this now, which is the best time and I personally feel it will occur eventually for the higher classes as well.

85Roughneck
10-26-2009, 04:00 PM
That is correct. Originally they talked about doing it for 1A prior to this season, but ultimately waited for next year because of the realignment. It would have been to difficult because of districts already aligned with their schedules set. Both 1A and 2A will do this now, which is the best time and I personally feel it will occur eventually for the higher classes as well.

SLC, How do you feel about this change in general? Would this stop some of the discontent many posters have about D1 and D2 'ships.

If the divisions are seperated before the season starts, which I agree with, it would be as if we went from a 1A - 5A system to a 1A through 10A system. Am I on the right track here? ( not trying to ignore 6-man here ...)

SLC
10-26-2009, 04:35 PM
SLC, How do you feel about this change in general? Would this stop some of the discontent many posters have about D1 and D2 'ships.

If the divisions are seperated before the season starts, which I agree with, it would be as if we went from a 1A - 5A system to a 1A through 10A system. Am I on the right track here? ( not trying to ignore 6-man here ...)

I personally like the change, as it better fits the idea behind having to divisions in the first place. When the UIL first came up with 2 divisions their intent was to make it fair for the smaller schools, yet they had the smalls and bigs playing each other throughout the year and when the playoffs come, they split them. This way the only reason the smalls and bigs will play each other is if they choose to do so in non district.

And yes, save for the namesake of the divisions, it would in effect be the same as having a 1A-10A. Or like the old A class and B class, which is similar to the model Florida and other states use.

85Roughneck
10-26-2009, 05:19 PM
I personally like the change, as it better fits the idea behind having to divisions in the first place. When the UIL first came up with 2 divisions their intent was to make it fair for the smaller schools, yet they had the smalls and bigs playing each other throughout the year and when the playoffs come, they split them. This way the only reason the smalls and bigs will play each other is if they choose to do so in non district.

And yes, save for the namesake of the divisions, it would in effect be the same as having a 1A-10A. Or like the old A class and B class, which is similar to the model Florida and other states use.

thanks man, i always appreciate your input ... btw, I like the change too.

Matthew 2000 Eagle
10-26-2009, 10:57 PM
1A is already using it in basketball, and has been for awhile now. Eventually, sometime down the road, they'll be doing it in the larger classes.

svhorns
10-27-2009, 07:47 PM
Does this new system = 1 state champion?

Tut
10-27-2009, 08:42 PM

In a way.........there are now two separate divisions. Each has one champ. :confused:

SLC
10-27-2009, 08:49 PM

Well, the system is still a division 1 and division 2 system. The difference is the D1 teams will play are their district games with other D1 teams and the same for D2 teams with other D2 teams. So, no, we will still have the same amount of champions termed under 1A and 2A.

svhorns
10-27-2009, 10:01 PM
So ultimately this means less football games? Do not like.

SLC
10-27-2009, 10:25 PM
So ultimately this means less football games? Do not like.

Well, in this case the total number of teams is taken from 96 to 64, with 2 teams from each district qualifying for the playoffs, but what it is also doing is taking 2 D1 teams and 2 D2 teams from each of their respective districts and sending them to the playoffs. I like it, though less total games will be played, it will mean better teams will be in the playoffs...Thats a BIG win for football purests who hate the watered down system we have now.

svhorns
10-27-2009, 11:10 PM
Well, in this case the total number of teams is taken from 96 to 64, with 2 teams from each district qualifying for the playoffs, but what it is also doing is taking 2 D1 teams and 2 D2 teams from each of their respective districts and sending them to the playoffs. I like it, though less total games will be played, it will mean better teams will be in the playoffs...Thats a BIG win for football purests who hate the watered down system we have now.

Some districts are deep enough where the 4th place team in district A can beat the first place team in district B. Therefore taking out quality teams that IMO should make the playoffs.

SLC
10-27-2009, 11:28 PM
Some districts are deep enough where the 4th place team in district A can beat the first place team in district B. Therefore taking out quality teams that IMO should make the playoffs.

Um...3A and under never took 4 teams to the playoffs...They only took 3 teams from each district to the playoffs.

svhorns
10-28-2009, 12:09 AM
Um...3A and under never took 4 teams to the playoffs...They only took 3 teams from each district to the playoffs.

I was speaking on behalf of 5a.

SLC
10-28-2009, 12:17 AM
I was speaking on behalf of 5a.

Sure, you will occaisionally have some 4th place teams get by a first place team, but not much farther...some have gone farther, but it's few and far between. I'd rather see the 2 best teams from each district make the playoffs and thats it...Who cares if you see fewer games, you'll get to see better football teams play each other and eliminate the 4-6 overall teams and the 3-4 district teams.

svhorns
10-28-2009, 12:29 AM
Sure, you will occaisionally have some 4th place teams get by a first place team, but not much farther...some have gone farther, but it's few and far between. I'd rather see the 2 best teams from each district make the playoffs and thats it...Who cares if you see fewer games, you'll get to see better football teams play each other and eliminate the 4-6 overall teams and the 3-4 district teams.

I know what you're saying... but we're just fans. Let the kids get a chance to experience the post season. I would be alright with 3... but with only two teams making the playoffs you'll have some teams with only one district loss not make the playoffs. That one loss could very easily happen in the 3rd week depending on how big the district is... A lot of teams make big strides in performance between week 3 and 10... and IMO there's no better way to show the strides your team has made than in the playoffs.

SLC
10-28-2009, 12:48 AM
I know what you're saying... but we're just fans. Let the kids get a chance to experience the post season. I would be alright with 3... but with only two teams making the playoffs you'll have some teams with only one district loss not make the playoffs. That one loss could very easily happen in the 3rd week depending on how big the district is... A lot of teams make big strides in performance between week 3 and 10... and IMO there's no better way to show the strides your team has made than in the playoffs.

I get what your saying and understand it too, but 128 teams is alot and cutting that inhalf would make the playoffs better, not only for the fans, but for the teams more than us. It would make the battles to qualify for the playoffs much better as well, IMO.