PDA

View Full Version : 4A & Under, Week 8 GOTW-3A #7 Graham at Brownwood

Matthew 2000 Eagle
10-18-2009, 11:42 PM
Who-3A #7 Graham Steers and Brownwood Lions

When-Friday Night at 7:30

Where-Gordon Wood Stadium, Brownwood

The District

When District 2-3A was formed during realignment in 2008, there were many who called this district the new "Little SWC". These 6 schools; Abilene Wylie, Brownwood, Breckenridge, Graham, Snyder, Sweetwater, have all had solid teams for most of this decade, not to mention, some good tradition and history, with most of these teams. When the postseason rolls around in this district, there's always going to be a good team sitting at home, saying to themselves; "What if we were in "X" district?".

Graham is coming off of a 45-14 victory over a 1-6 Sweetwater Mustangs team, while Brownwood, like Graham, also played a 1-6 team in the Breckenridge Buckaroos. The Lions won going away also, by the score of 45-7.

The Teams

The #7 ranked Steers has been pretty solid, since Coach Brad McCoy took over as head coach for David Bourquin. The Steers have been led at the QB position by Coach McCoy's son, Case, since Case's freshman year in 2006. WR Dylan Fulford is McCoy's favorite reciever, as they've hooked up for 9 TDs. Running the ball, the Steers are led by Cameron Bailey, who comes into this week's game with 603 yards, and an average of 7 yards per carry, and 8 TDs. Overall, Case hasn't dissapointed, as he led the Steers 3 rounds deep into the postseason, during his freshman and sophomore years in '06 and '07. McCoy's junior season of '08 was a good one, but the Steers were left sitting at home when the postseason started, due to the Steers' lack of defense. The Steers have improved drastically on defense, as they come into this year's contest against the Lions at 7-0.

The biggest victory that the Steers have had so far, was a 49-48 shootout with Danny Henson's Bridgeport Bulls, where the Steers had to block an extra point attempt by the Bulls to come out victorious.

Brownwood comes into this week's game at 5-2, under their first year and well respected head coach, Bob Shipley. Last year, the Lions were led by current-TCU backup QB, Casey Pachall, as they could score with anybody, just like the Graham Steers. But, they were sitting at home during the playoffs because, they couldn't stop anybody from scoring, just like the Graham Steers. When Shipley came down US 377 from the Metroplex, fixing the defense and replacing Pachall was his 2 main priorities. The Lions have started out at QB with 2 guys actually, in Graylon Brown and Mitch Stephens. The Lions are led at RB by Stehl Ratliff and Levi Perez, with Ratliff leading the team in rushing. Dillon Ellis is one of the Lions top recievers, along with Cade Johnson. But, Shipley also brung his son, Jaxson Shipley, with Brownwood also. Shipley was one of 5A Coppell's playmakers last season, as he had a good season as a sophomore. The Lions defense come in giving up an average of 19.1 points per game.

The Lions have had some good victories, with a big one coming on the road at Waco La Vega, week 1 of the season. They also defeated Liberty Hill at home, and lost to 4A ranked Stephenville and one of the top 3A teams in the state, in Abilene Wylie.

At Stake

Graham will need to keep it going, so they can stay on track for the district title. A win in Brownwood would keep the momentum going for the Steers, as they'll host Abilene Wylie in week 9, on October 30th. This is a must win for Brownwood also, as they still have an outside shot at the district title, and possible seeding for the postseason. After Graham, the Lions finish the season against Sweetwater and Snyder.

Interesting storyline

The Shipleys and McCoys, as we all know, are all good friends and, more like family. Brad and Bob go way back and, as we know, Colt and Jordan are roommates at UT.:laugh Case and Jaxson, although not on the same team, are pretty good friends as well. To add a little more to this, Bob used to coach at Graham awhile back.

This one is going to be fun folks!:)

F18mustang
10-18-2009, 11:46 PM
Brent Mushburger wouldn't know what to do.

SLC
10-19-2009, 12:20 AM
Very nice breakdown Matt.:notworthy

This should be a good one for sure. I'm hoping Brownwood shows up and makes a game of it, but I have a feeling the Steers are gonna go in and win it...and hopefully when they get done, the Shipleys and McCoys will still be on speaking terms..:)

SLC
10-19-2009, 12:21 AM

Oh man, he would have an out of body experience or something. Bass boats would not be safe in this one.:D

Matthew 2000 Eagle
10-19-2009, 09:40 AM

LOL! Why do you think I put the laughing smiley there, after I mentioned Colt and Jordan being roommates?

Matthew 2000 Eagle
10-19-2009, 09:42 AM
Very nice breakdown Matt.:notworthy

This should be a good one for sure. I'm hoping Brownwood shows up and makes a game of it, but I have a feeling the Steers are gonna go in and win it...and hopefully when they get done, the Shipleys and McCoys will still be on speaking terms..:)

Thanks!:)

I'm expecting a good game as well. For the Steers' sake, I hope they aren't looking ahead to that week 9 matchup against Wylie. Or else, Brownwood will win this game!

The Shipleys and McCoys will be fine! LOL!

Matthew 2000 Eagle
10-19-2009, 09:43 AM
Oh man, he would have an out of body experience or something. Bass boats would not be safe in this one.:D

Do you think Mushmouth has gotten wind of this matchup yet?

SLC
10-19-2009, 12:41 PM
Do you think Mushmouth has gotten wind of this matchup yet?

Ha...I'm pretty sure, cause he alternates sleep overs at each of their houses every week.:D

Matthew 2000 Eagle
10-20-2009, 10:40 AM
Ha...I'm pretty sure, cause he alternates sleep overs at each of their houses every week.:D

That's creepy!

chhspantherfan
10-20-2009, 01:55 PM
Excellent analysis.

I recognize Kenny Davidson's name on the staff, he is the former FWC head coach and ACU classmate of Brad. Do you think the Briles on the staff is Art's son? Or is Kendall his only?

http://www.grahamisd.com/uploaded/documents/GHS/Athletic_Schedules/2009/Varsity_Football_Roster_09-10.pdf

SLC
10-20-2009, 03:24 PM
Excellent analysis.

I recognize Kenny Davidson's name on the staff, he is the former FWC head coach and ACU classmate of Brad. Do you think the Briles on the staff is Art's son? Or is Kendall his only?

http://www.grahamisd.com/uploaded/documents/GHS/Athletic_Schedules/2009/Varsity_Football_Roster_09-10.pdf

Art's kids are Jancy, Kendal and Staley. So, no, that's not his offspring.

SLC
10-21-2009, 05:16 PM
I am going to say Graham wins this by 2 tds...Brownwood doesn't have the defense to stop the Steers.

Graham 35

Brownwood 21

DragonFan0316
10-21-2009, 05:20 PM
Can't say I am a Bob Shipley fan. He failed to control his folks last year at Coppell and I haven't forgotten it. Go Graham.

Matthew 2000 Eagle
10-22-2009, 12:18 AM
I am going to say Graham wins this by 2 tds...Brownwood doesn't have the defense to stop the Steers.

Graham 35

Brownwood 21

Good prediction! Wouldn't be surprised if it were closer but, at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if the Steers mopped the floor with the Lions.

We'll see what happens!

Matthew 2000 Eagle
10-22-2009, 12:19 AM
I just found out that this game is also the FSN DQ Big Game Of The Week!:notworthy

SLC
10-22-2009, 12:23 AM
I just found out that this game is also the FSN DQ Big Game Of The Week!:notworthy

Awesome...We'll have to tune in and listen to Rick Renner spout off some stupid chit on the FSN High School show Friday night. If it sounds like I cant stand they guy, then you are correct in picking up on that vibe.:)

SLC
10-24-2009, 03:34 PM
Brownwood with the upset last night 28-27. Good game by the Lions. Graham had to come back from a 14-0 deficit at halftime.

Graham had a chance to tie the game when they scored a TD with 2 seconds left on the clock....but Brownwood blocked the xp.:eek:

svhorns
10-24-2009, 03:57 PM
Shipley and McCoy are roomates... did you know that?

SLC
10-24-2009, 04:03 PM
Shipley and McCoy are roomates... did you know that?

Seems like I heard about that somewhere.:confused: