PDA

View Full Version : 1A Eldorado reassigns Alan Cherry

SLC
10-16-2009, 01:33 PM
Alan Cherry, who coached at both Bay City and Harlingen South and is only half way through his first season as Head Coach and AD at Eldorado, has been released. Dont know the full details, but as I get them, I will post them.

Cherry has a career 174-60 record.

Danny Wilhelm will take over coaching duties for the remainder of the season.

AbEagleFan
10-16-2009, 06:53 PM
Wow... Something went wrong/happened somewhere.

From the San Angelo paper. I am sure they will have more details soon.

SAN ANGELO, Texas Eldorado High School head football coach Alan Cherry has been reassigned.

Robert Jay, vice president of the Schleicher County Independent School District Board of Trustees, confirmed this afternoon that Cherry had been removed from his position.

Cherry could not be reached for comment. Schleicher County schools Superintendent Billy Collins did not immediately return phone calls seeking comment.

Cherry, in his first season at Eldorado, has led the Eagles to a 3-4 record, 1-2 in District 29-1A. Last Friday Eldorado upset Menard 35-7. The Eagles do not play this week.

A graduate of Angelo State University, Cherry has 178 career victories. His career includes stints at Hart, Crane, Bay City and Harlingen.

SLC
10-22-2009, 02:23 PM
I have heard this is due to an illness with Coach Cherry, possibly affecting his memory, so I have changed the title to "reassign", as it appears that is the case, rather than a "release".

My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family at this time.