PDA

View Full Version : Westfield @ Memorial (Mustangs v. Mustangs)

Magellan
09-14-2009, 10:17 AM
Since it sounds like Memorial is pretty good, what does everyone think of this matchup?

CORRECTION!!!! 4TH OPTION SHOULD BE "Memorial Blows Them Out" SYSTEM WON'T LET ME FIX THE POLL!!!! SORRY MEMORIAL!!! NO DISRESPECT INTENDED!!!

dada
09-14-2009, 10:31 AM
Memorial usually plays Westfield close for some reason, Think they upset them a few years back. I think Westfield takes it by 2 scores.

smw358
09-14-2009, 10:34 AM
Westfield in a romp.......those boy's are hunnnnngggrryyyy!

WHS23
09-14-2009, 10:56 AM
Definitely seems like Westfield is playing with a chip on their shoulder after the disappointed year last year and everyone counting them out prior to the start of this year. After the first two games, they still need to fix the repetative penalties i.e. Numerous false starts!!!!!!!!!! I would also like to see how well the Defense could play if the first string was left on the field for the Majority of the whole game as much of the scores against them have come against the second and third string defense. With that being said I'm goiong to take westfield by a lot in this one.....38-14

KT2000
09-14-2009, 12:12 PM
Westfield by a very healthy margin.

Magellan
09-14-2009, 01:16 PM
Memorial usually plays Westfield close for some reason, Think they upset them a few years back. I think Westfield takes it by 2 scores.

They did, but that was a team still reeling from the loss of Herman Mitchell the Friday before school started.

They righted the ship and made the 3rd round of the playoffs, but it was not an easy season.

On a happier note:

Westfield Stat of the Week:
7.2 YPA rushing
14.0 YPA passing (or 21.4 YPC).

MemorialMustangs
09-14-2009, 03:59 PM
I think our defense is a lot better than the teams yall have played before... I think if yall continue to plague urself with penalties and end up in long distance situations our defense will be able to hold yall a lot more than Beaumont Westbrook or Cy-Falls did... When we beat yall two years ago it was 10-9 and Westfield didnt score an offensive point that game (I remember yall scored on a fumble return and a safety at the end to avoid punting deep in our end zone)... I think Westfield puts up 17 points in this game because I think ur offense is solid, but I also think our offense has the capability to put up 21... So 21-17 is my prediction and Im ready to be shown wrong... I have no idea how good Cy-Falls is or how good Beaumont Westbrook is... But Im confident in saying this is probably the best offensive line and defense Westfield has faced thus far... We'll see how it goes ;)

Willieg
09-14-2009, 06:30 PM
I love this game Im goin to use this game as a measuring stick to see how good westfield will be I have alot of respect for the Memorial Mustangs but Ima have to go with Westfield the run game has been on and they have a proven QB in Walker so Ima go Westfield 28 - 7.

Magellan
09-14-2009, 06:47 PM
I think our defense is a lot better than the teams yall have played before... I think if yall continue to plague urself with penalties and end up in long distance situations our defense will be able to hold yall a lot more than Beaumont Westbrook or Cy-Falls did... When we beat yall two years ago it was 10-9 and Westfield didnt score an offensive point that game (I remember yall scored on a fumble return and a safety at the end to avoid punting deep in our end zone)... I think Westfield puts up 17 points in this game because I think ur offense is solid, but I also think our offense has the capability to put up 21... So 21-17 is my prediction and Im ready to be shown wrong... I have no idea how good Cy-Falls is or how good Beaumont Westbrook is... But Im confident in saying this is probably the best offensive line and defense Westfield has faced thus far... We'll see how it goes ;)

We'll definitely see how it ends up. Though I don't gamble, if there was a prop bet of "Westfield more or less than 17 points", I'd take more in a heart-beat. Then again, I don't see them continuing at this pace for the whole season.

country club
09-14-2009, 06:52 PM
I really don't see the Mustangs south of I-10 hanging with the Mustangs north of I-10. Hope it is a good game. Good luck to both!

MemorialMustangs
09-14-2009, 07:35 PM
I really don't see the Mustangs south of I-10 hanging with the Mustangs north of I-10. Hope it is a good game. Good luck to both!

I heard that in '07 ;) Not sayin that that means we are gonna win or anything - I mean I could be totally wrong... We gave Pearland a run for their money and in all honesty probably should have won the game - Although probably doesnt show up in records... Im confident we have a solid team... I can tell that Westfield does too, but scoring 41 on Cy-Falls (right) is very different from scoring 41 on us... I just cant picture any team putting any score 30+ on us... Ive only seen Katy and Westfield do it... But both were 3 years ago! Last year we never allowed more than 17 in a game...

Im just sayin that if Westfield continually pushes themselves back with penalties and put themselves in difficult situations dont be surprised it at the very least we hang in there ;)

CyFallsMom
09-14-2009, 07:36 PM
We played Westfield and we may not be seen as being as strong as Memorial but this Westfield team was stout. And they seem to be gaining speed. I don't see any other way but a WF blowout.

CyFallsMom
09-14-2009, 07:41 PM
I heard that in '07 ;) Not sayin that that means we are gonna win or anything - I mean I could be totally wrong... We gave Pearland a run for their money and in all honesty probably should have won the game - Although probably doesnt show up in records... Im confident we have a solid team... I can tell that Westfield does too, but scoring 41 on Cy-Falls (right) is very different from scoring 41 on us... I just cant picture any team putting any score 30+ on us... Ive only seen Katy and Westfield do it... But both were 3 years ago! Last year we never allowed more than 17 in a game...

Im just sayin that if Westfield continually pushes themselves back with penalties and put themselves in difficult situations dont be surprised it at the very least we hang in there ;)

I will say you have one of the best defensive guys out there in Koch so they may not score 41 on you - but they scored what - 62 - on Bmt Westbrook? That's pretty scary. Their QB is quick and the defense is big and finds those holes fast. Our O-Line is decent and they still got through. Our defense isn't as good as most so they were able to put 41 on us - BUT, our defense was better that night than the week before so they weren't completely terrible. I put WF up there with Nortshore right now. Both are going to be hard to beat for most teams other than a Katy caliber team.

78 Spartan
09-14-2009, 08:13 PM
If the line is Westfield -17, I'm taking Memorial plus the points all day long.

I suspect Westfield is indeed a much better team, but I see a 21-10 type game. Memorial will keep this game close into the fourth quarter. If Westfield thinks they can mail it in, they will wake up Sunday with an L.

But I'm sure they will bring it on Saturday. I will be there and expect to see a good ballgame.

Magellan
09-15-2009, 08:00 AM
If the line is Westfield -17, I'm taking Memorial plus the points all day long.

I suspect Westfield is indeed a much better team, but I see a 21-10 type game. Memorial will keep this game close into the fourth quarter. If Westfield thinks they can mail it in, they will wake up Sunday with an L.

But I'm sure they will bring it on Saturday. I will be there and expect to see a good ballgame.

Considering the last time the Ponies played Memorial it was an "L", I can say with every fiber of my being that they're not taking this game lightly. There is no overlooking ANYONE this year... even with a rivalry game in Dekaney looming next week.

And I wasn't saying the line was 17, but whether or not Westfield would score at least 17 in the game (regardless of the score by Memorial).

slim_bugga06
09-17-2009, 01:13 AM
If Memorial has no kind of speed on defense or offense to match Westfield, this will be another 1st half beatdown. Just saying what I've observed from Westfield's first 2 games. They are going for the jugular early, and putting games away fast. Memorial will have a hard time stopping this offense.

Another interesting stat: Westfield's 1st team has only played 4 total quarters in 2 games. This offense is as efficient as they come, and the rushing attack is becoming a sight to behold. Add to that, an improving passing game and a loaded defense.

Committing 11 penalties worth more than 100yds on offense, scoring 67 points and still managing to rack up over 500yds of offense(300+ on the ground) is a feat in itself. Penalties aside, we're looking at a 70+pt 600yd slaughter. I was mad at the numerous false starts, and I'm sure Mr. Meekins wasn't pleased either. If they cut the penalties, this will be another quick beatdown.

Sorry to say, but Memorial isn't going to magically shut down Westfield. Everyone, including Walker, has the ability to pull off a big run. And when they run, they run hard. The passing game will only get better. I didn't expect much when their 3 D1 receivers graduated. I could be wrong.

Westfield will not overlook Memorial, that I'm certain. But I don't see them scoring less than 21pts to be honest. This isn't your 2007 Westfield, this team is more stacked.

Westfield - 41
Memorial - 17

slim_bugga06
09-17-2009, 01:39 AM

Both teams run out of the I-Formation. I see Memorial attempting to play keep-away the Saturday, chewing the clock and keeping the ball out of Westfield's hands. If they do that, then yes the score will of course be low.

Either way, Westfield should win.

HtownFan
09-17-2009, 07:46 PM
Game broadcast on 700AM KSEV. This should be a Westfield blowout but Memorial do always seem to play Westfield tough including the upset in 2007. I've been very impressed with the type of numbers Westfield's offense has put up considering QB Jacoby Walker was the only returning starter on that side of the ball this season.

Magellan
09-18-2009, 11:19 AM
Game broadcast on 700AM KSEV. This should be a Westfield blowout but Memorial do always seem to play Westfield tough including the upset in 2007. I've been very impressed with the type of numbers Westfield's offense has put up considering QB Jacoby Walker was the only returning starter on that side of the ball this season.

Well, the 2008 Mustangs never seemed to have the intensity of the 2004-2006 teams. 2007 was just a lost season that doesn't count. The 2009 Mustangs are going for the knockout blow early, and it's good to hear.

Now, the tough part... picking between the Mustangs and the Longhorns. I guess I'll have to take a battery-powered TV to the game.

HUM398
09-18-2009, 01:17 PM
Memorial 21-14

Magellan
09-18-2009, 02:31 PM
Memorial 21-14

Okay, HUM is off the bandwagon... there's room for 1 more!!!

MemorialMustangs
09-19-2009, 11:12 PM
I just want to say - ur QBs and WRs are Incredible at the long ball :eek: ... I didnt think we played bad defense... Just there were times the ball was so well placed and the WRs made such great plays on the ball that their was nothing for the DBs to do :notworthy

I think Westfield is for real... Thats what I got out of it...

I will say that we started great, and we lost momentum and our offense really stopped clicking when we did... The first quarter was more or less what I expected the game to be like, and then u unleashed those bombs!

KT2000
09-19-2009, 11:45 PM
Westfield by a very healthy margin.

Where's my cookie?

slim_bugga06
09-20-2009, 12:39 AM
I just want to say - ur QBs and WRs are Incredible at the long ball :eek: ... I didnt think we played bad defense... Just there were times the ball was so well placed and the WRs made such great plays on the ball that their was nothing for the DBs to do :notworthy

I will say that we started great, and we lost momentum and our offense really stopped clicking when we did... The first quarter was more or less what I expected the game to be like, and then u unleashed those bombs!

Memorial's O-line is MASSIVE!!!:eek: What do they eat because Westfield could use some recipes lol!!! Seriously, I was thinking "as big as they are, they should be pounding the hell out of our d-line" but unfortunately it didn't work out that way. I wish our O-line was that big, oh boy....

Memorial isn't terrible, but their pass protection could use some work. Those boys were too big to be pounced on, but then again it was Westfield. Their run defense was good for a while, then fell apart in the second half. Good win by Westfield though, hopefully they can use these games as a boost for district. Memorial will have valuable experience as well and they should take this loss as motivation.

Congratulations Memorial for a fine game. I'm still a bit mad at Westfield because of those penalties. Man the same :Censor: penalties for the last 3 games on offense has to stop ASAP. Well I'm done talking, time for some Z's.

Magellan
09-20-2009, 09:56 PM
Where's my cookie?

Right here. It's a fudge-dipped triple-doozie cookie from Great American Cookie Company.

WHS23
09-20-2009, 11:04 PM

How would you say Westfield looked compared to Katy, NS, and Pearland?

Jacob McCandles
09-21-2009, 09:58 AM
How would you say Westfield looked compared to Katy, NS, and Pearland?

Have only seen Katy on TV, so really can't compare.

Saw MHS/Pearland and Westfield is better by a decent margin that the Oilers - although the Oilers did play w/o their passing QB.

Saw MHS/NS scrimmage and Westfield was more impressive. But that was five weeks ago and just a scrimmage, so who knows where NS is now.

I'll say this, Nos. 9 and 5 are really, really impressive. Is No. 9 going to play QB at Kansas or is he being offered as an Ath? I know No. 5 is a Jr. but what's the early word on him?

WHS23
09-21-2009, 10:14 AM
Have only seen Katy on TV, so really can't compare.

Saw MHS/Pearland and Westfield is better by a decent margin that the Oilers - although the Oilers did play w/o their passing QB.

Saw MHS/NS scrimmage and Westfield was more impressive. But that was five weeks ago and just a scrimmage, so who knows where NS is now.

I'll say this, Nos. 9 and 5 are really, really impressive. Is No. 9 going to play QB at Kansas or is he being offered as an Ath? I know No. 5 is a Jr. but what's the early word on him?

Jacoby Walker #9 is going to play QB at Kansas! #5 is only a Junior and has been under the radar as last year Westfield had 3 division I caliber recievers! #5 should have a break out year and be highly recruited going into his senior season!

slcdragonfan
09-21-2009, 10:23 AM
I predict the Mustangs win....:o