PDA

View Full Version : Official Burleson Elks team Thread

elkfbfan
09-10-2009, 10:40 AM
OK Elk fans, there are enough of us on here to have our own team thread. Let's talk about the Elks!
2-0 so far, over 900 yards rushing- I'm pretty confident we lead 5A in average yds. rushing per game.:notworthy

elkfbfan
09-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Tonight's game vs. LD Bell is homecoming for the Elks- rain is forecast, which will benefit the Elks' power running game more than Bell's spread offense- couldsee a few fumbles tonite!

Matthew 2000 Eagle
09-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Burleson's numbers are INSANE!

As for tonight's game, not only will Bell's defense get a dose of y'all's tough running but, y'all will more than likely, get a good dose of Kenneth Farrow. It'll be a slugfest.

I'm taking the Elks, 24-17!

elkfbfan
09-13-2009, 08:32 AM
The Elks took care of business 34-14, in a game that wasn't that close. Bell scored a late TD on mostly 2nd teamers and the Elks, for the 3rd straight game, ended it with a long drive inside the opponents 20, then taking a knee to end it. Elks had 368 yds rushing and 122 yds passing on 5 of 6 completions. Their most impressive win yet. Farrow is a good RB, but the elks' D kept him mostly contianed. Bell had only 74 yds rushing, 156 passing. Mansfield High is next. Go Elks!

biggolfdad
09-13-2009, 05:40 PM
The Elks took care of business 34-14, in a game that wasn't that close. Bell scored a late TD on mostly 2nd teamers and the Elks, for the 3rd straight game, ended it with a long drive inside the opponents 20, then taking a knee to end it. Elks had 368 yds rushing and 122 yds passing on 5 of 6 completions. Their most impressive win yet. Farrow is a good RB, but the elks' D kept him mostly contianed. Bell had only 74 yds rushing, 156 passing. Mansfield High is next. Go Elks!

Good victory for the Elks.

elkfbfan
09-14-2009, 02:22 PM
The Elks have now beat 2 5-5a teams in a row; NW & Bell. Mansfield High, a 5-4a team is up next. I think we might have earned a little respect by now, if we beat Mansfield. If not, we'll just continue to sneak up on opponents. We need to keep improving from game to game.

eaglefan87
09-14-2009, 08:47 PM
Congrats to the Elks on ya'lls successful start. Good to see. Can't wait to open district play out at ya'lls place the 25th.

elkfbfan
09-14-2009, 09:27 PM
Yeah, Abilene will be the ultimate test. I just hope we can hang w/ yall.

eaglefan87
09-15-2009, 11:58 PM
If you guys can grind out some drives against our D and keep that explosive O off the field it should be a good game.

elkfbfan
09-17-2009, 05:25 PM
Who woul've thought that Burleson would be 3-0 and the favorite against Mansfield? They are 1-2 coming into the game. The Elks need to keep improving and not be looking ahead to the Abilene game. So far, Burleosn has showed notable improvement every game. Last week it the passing game, special teams, and the pass rush that showed much improvement. What do we need to improve upon in this game?

biggolfdad
09-17-2009, 05:44 PM
Who woul've thought that Burleson would be 3-0 and the favorite against Mansfield? They are 1-2 coming into the game. The Elks need to keep improving and not be looking ahead to the Abilene game. So far, Burleosn has showed notable improvement every game. Last week it the passing game, special teams, and the pass rush that showed much improvement. What do we need to improve upon in this game?

Sounds like the Elks are building on where they left off last year. I was impressed with the Elks last year.

mojo4life
09-17-2009, 11:10 PM
Sounds like the Elks are building on where they left off last year. I was impressed with the Elks last year.

keep up the good work...for the moment anyway;):D

elkfbfan
09-20-2009, 09:01 AM
Well, it was scary for a while, but the Elks prevailed and are 4-0 for the first time since 2004( when they started 6-0). 20-12, a tale of two halves. Mansfield dominated the 1st half and led 12-0; the Elks went 3 and out the first 3 times they had the ball. The Tigers certainly came to play. But in the 2nd half, the Elks' defense totally shut down the Tigers, holding them to just 3 first downs, 2 on their last drive. The offense, led by Blake Smith, finally got going. The turning point? Burleson fumbled and MF recovered at the 50 yd line. The Elks D forced a punt to the 20. On 3RD & 8 from the 22, backup QB Cory Bailey rolled out, avoided the rush and threw a strike to a wide open Adam Burnett for a 65 yard gain to the 13. The Elks scored 3 plays later, and the momentum shifted to the Elks, who scored on their next two possessions, with FB Blake Smith doing almost all the damage.
The Elks face state ranked Abilene High at home next week to open district play. Go Elks!

biggolfdad
09-20-2009, 11:47 PM
Well, it was scary for a while, but the Elks prevailed and are 4-0 for the first time since 2004( when they started 6-0). 20-12, a tale of two halves. Mansfield dominated the 1st half and led 12-0; the Elks went 3 and out the first 3 times they had the ball. The Tigers certainly came to play. But in the 2nd half, the Elks' defense totally shut down the Tigers, holding them to just 3 first downs, 2 on their last drive. The offense, led by Blake Smith, finally got going. The turning point? Burleson fumbled and MF recovered at the 50 yd line. The Elks D forced a punt to the 20. On 3RD & 8 from the 22, backup QB Cory Bailey rolled out, avoided the rush and threw a strike to a wide open Adam Burnett for a 65 yard gain to the 13. The Elks scored 3 plays later, and the momentum shifted to the Elks, who scored on their next two possessions, with FB Blake Smith doing almost all the damage.
The Elks face state ranked Abilene High at home next week to open district play. Go Elks!

should be a great game

elkfbfan
09-21-2009, 09:32 PM
OK Elk fans, what will Burleson have to do to have a chance to upset Abilene? Besides score more points, I mean. ;)

eaglefan87
09-26-2009, 12:45 PM
Just wanted to say that I was impressed with y'alls stadium. Really nice facility and a great atmosphere. Can anyone give me some info on the stadium....when was it built or improvements that have been made? Good luck to the Elks the rest of the season.

abileneeagles311
09-26-2009, 12:53 PM
Just wanted to say that I was impressed with y'alls stadium. Really nice facility and a great atmosphere. Can anyone give me some info on the stadium....when was it built or improvements that have been made? Good luck to the Elks the rest of the season.
the only thing i didn't like was that there was no visitor parking...

elkfbfan
09-28-2009, 08:14 AM

The "new" Elk Stadium opened in 2002. It holds 7500- 4500 on home side & 3000 on visitors side. In retrospect it should have been built bigger- most of the new stadiums hold 10,000+. With all the new bigger stadiums opening, we now only host 3a and smaller for PO games. The only improvement has been the video screen added to the scoreboard. I have been so used to it that I don't really think of it as nice anymore, with all the new stadiums opening up. But it is quite adequate for now. With the 2nd BISD high school opening next year, I guess it will used by both schools.
The 1st game there in 2002 was against Stephenville, a 31-10 loss. They got revenge for us beating them the year before, 17-13, in the last game at old Elk Stadium. The 1st PO game was that same year- BHS vs. Abilene Cooper. Cooper won that one 20-10.

abileneeagles311
09-28-2009, 11:53 AM
the press box looked really nice.:D

elkfbfan
10-01-2009, 07:19 PM
Burleson vs. Haltom- at old Birdville Stadium.
What will the score be?

biggolfdad
10-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Elks take on Richland this Friday at 7:30.

:)

biggolfdad
10-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Should be another great atmosphere for the game. Elks try to regroup for their first district win.

elkfbfan
10-07-2009, 03:55 PM
I hope home field advantage works for the Elks! Should be a great crowd for a must win game for the Elks.

biggolfdad
10-07-2009, 04:54 PM
I hope home field advantage works for the Elks! Should be a great crowd for a must win game for the Elks.

Good luck to the Elks. Hope it is an outstanding game that leaves everyone in attendance feeling good about the young men who are performing on the field. Be Proud, Stay Late, Be Very Loud !!!

elkfbfan
10-07-2009, 09:51 PM
BTW, fullback Blake Smith has 952 yds. and 13 TDs in 6 games. Almost 160 yds. a game. If he keeps up this pace, he will set the Burleson single season record for rushing yards in a season. I can't find a record of anyone gaining more than 1200 yds. for the Elks, unless it was in the early 1960s.

eaglefan87
10-08-2009, 12:14 AM
good luck to the elks. Hope it is an outstanding game that leaves everyone in attendance feeling good about the young men who are performing on the field. Be proud, stay late, be very loud !!!

let's get rowdy!!!!

elkfbfan
10-09-2009, 09:36 AM
IF the Elks put it together this week against Richland like I think they will, ppl will be surprised by the margin of victory- 14+ points. You heard it 1st here.

biggolfdad
10-09-2009, 05:16 PM
IF the Elks put it together this week against Richland like I think they will, ppl will be surprised by the margin of victory- 14+ points. You heard it 1st here.

Perfect football weather for the teams, maybe not the fans. Lets hope the game is a good one and the fans are stay warm with all the cheering for their team.

:Music

elkfbfan
10-12-2009, 04:09 PM
Well, my prediction for the Richland game was good until the 4th quarter. Once again, we found a way to lose a game we dominated on offense. The spot on the 4th & 2 in the 4thQ was horrendous- Blake made that 1st down by at least half a yard. But missing the last extra point was big also- If we make it, we are up 31-28 at that point and can consider trying to punt & pin Richland inside the twenty- although I'm not sure it would have made a difference.
Some things I like- more variety in offensive playcalling- wingback counters, getting the ball to Cory Bailey when he goes in motion. Even if defenses adjust, it gives them something else to think about. The spread formation is another good wrinkle, although it is not the answer- we are a running team, and going to the spread doesn't automatically make you better at passing. It is like the wildcat formation for us- can't be used too much or it loses its effectiveness. Burleson is most effective passing when it uses playaction on running downs.
The defense in the 2nd half didn't get any pressure on Cotton, allowing him time to make those throws- time he didn't have in the 1st half. Even when we blitzed in 2nd half, we didn't get near him.

biggolfdad
10-13-2009, 05:22 PM
Well, my prediction for the Richland game was good until the 4th quarter. Once again, we found a way to lose a game we dominated on offense. The spot on the 4th & 2 in the 4thQ was horrendous- Blake made that 1st down by at least half a yard. But missing the last extra point was big also- If we make it, we are up 31-28 at that point and can consider trying to punt & pin Richland inside the twenty- although I'm not sure it would have made a difference.
Some things I like- more variety in offensive playcalling- wingback counters, getting the ball to Cory Bailey when he goes in motion. Even if defenses adjust, it gives them something else to think about. The spread formation is another good wrinkle, although it is not the answer- we are a running team, and going to the spread doesn't automatically make you better at passing. It is like the wildcat formation for us- can't be used too much or it loses its effectiveness. Burleson is most effective passing when it uses playaction on running downs.
The defense in the 2nd half didn't get any pressure on Cotton, allowing him time to make those throws- time he didn't have in the 1st half. Even when we blitzed in 2nd half, we didn't get near him.

Good luck to the Elks this week.

elkfbfan
10-17-2009, 12:48 AM
Elks win in OT over North Crowley 48-41! Great game, exciting to watch- especially when the Elks went 80 yard in the final 1:28 , plus the 2 pt. conv. to tie it and send it to overtime. Way to overcome adversity and a few bad calls!

eaglefan87
10-17-2009, 12:58 AM
Elks win in OT over North Crowley 48-41! Great game, exciting to watch- especially when the Elks went 80 yard in the final 1:28 , plus the 2 pt. conv. to tie it and send it to overtime. Way to overcome adversity and a few bad calls!

Congrats on the win! I've been looking for a game story but haven't been able to find anything....sounds like it was a great game

elkfbfan
10-19-2009, 03:27 PM
I predict the Burleson defense will stiffen up and pitch a shuout this week! Oh wait, it's the bye week.

biggolfdad
10-19-2009, 04:49 PM
I predict the Burleson defense will stiffen up and pitch a shuout this week! Oh wait, it's the bye week.

I am going to predict that the Elks come out well rested from the bye week. The last game will be the do or die game for the Elks as far as the playoffs are concerned.

:notworthy

elkfbfan
10-22-2009, 07:17 AM
Update on Blake Smith- fullback for the Elks. 227 carries for 1322 yds, 5.8 ave. 18 TD in 8 games. As far as I can tell, this is already a Burleson record for rushing yards in a season. Career record for TDs is 33, he has 31 so far.:)

biggolfdad
10-22-2009, 04:45 PM
Update on Blake Smith- fullback for the Elks. 227 carries for 1322 yds, 5.8 ave. 18 TD in 8 games. As far as I can tell, this is already a Burleson record for rushing yards in a season. Career record for TDs is 33, he has 31 so far.:)

:cool:

eaglefan87
10-24-2009, 05:42 PM
I have heard that Burleson will be opening a new high school next year. How is that going to effect enrollment at each school and where do ya'll see the Burleson schools ending up in realignment?

elkfbfan
10-24-2009, 05:45 PM
The new Burleson HS will open up next year with 9th & 10th grades only; will play a JV schedule. The next year will play an "outlaw" schedule( not aligned in a district). So they will not figure in the 2010-2011 alignment. Burleson will use this years enrollment numbers, so we will stay 5a for thew next 2 yrs. 2012 is too far away to guess at yet. Possible both schools will be 4a then.

elkfbfan
10-27-2009, 10:36 AM
Elks vs. Paschal- another must win game. Our defense needs to improve, get ready for Weatherford with a good showing. I think our offense will have their best game of the year, including 1 or 2 passing TDs. Elks win 55-14, my prediction.

btownfever
10-29-2009, 12:24 PM
The new Burleson HS will open up next year with 9th & 10th grades only; will play a JV schedule. The next year will play an "outlaw" schedule( not aligned in a district). So they will not figure in the 2010-2011 alignment. Burleson will use this years enrollment numbers, so we will stay 5a for thew next 2 yrs. 2012 is too far away to guess at yet. Possible both schools will be 4a then.

Really? I had not heard that...source?

elkfbfan
10-30-2009, 03:06 PM
I don't remember! I read a lot of web sites & newspapers- but it was written down somewhere! But it makes sense- if they play a JV schedule next year, w/ only 9th & 10th graders, they wont be in a district in 2011. I'm not sure how UIL does stuff like that.

elkfbfan
10-30-2009, 11:17 PM
Elks win a hard fought game against Paschal tonite, 41-27. Congrats to a great team effort.The defense again stepped up late. Blake Smith had 292 yds rushing( according to the radio guys) and 5 Tds. He now has over 1600 yds rushing for the season and 23 TDs.

biggolfdad
10-31-2009, 05:38 PM
Congrats Elks..

elkfbfan
11-06-2009, 11:27 AM
Let's go Elks! Beat Weatherford!

elkfbfan
11-07-2009, 11:25 AM
Elks fullback Blake Smith now has about 1850 yds. rushing and 27 TDs for the season. Has had 3 200 yd. games in a row and five for the season. If he gets at least 150 yds. next week, he goes over 2000 for the season. He has over 3000 yards rushing for his career and 40 total touchdowns, both Burleson High alltime school records.

Ntx
11-07-2009, 09:47 PM
Congrats Elks!! Goo luck in post season!!! :D

elkfbfan
11-08-2009, 09:12 AM
As I was watching a little bit of the Georgia Tech-Wake Forest game, I realized that Weatherford runs the exact same option offense that GT does. Man, we had trouble with the option pitch all night long!

elkfbfan
11-16-2009, 07:20 PM
Congrats to the Elks for a great season, especially the Seniors. Also congrats to fullback Blake Smith, who finished the year with 1963 yards rushing and 28 TDs, both Burleson single season records. He finished his varsity career with 3150 yards rushing and 41 total touchdowns(37 rushing, 4 recieving).

Elks4Life
12-22-2009, 04:17 PM
He's given an oral commitment to UTEP.

AE 8008
12-22-2009, 04:31 PM
He's given an oral commitment to UTEP.

:notworthy congratulations! :notworthy

Elks4Life
01-19-2010, 11:06 AM
Coach Maxfield announced he was leaving this morning.

CxM
01-19-2010, 04:43 PM
He seemed to be a good person, he was probably under pressure not getting the program to the next level. I believe he was only 4 or 5 games over .500 in his 7/8 yrs at Burl. Good luck Max.