PDA

View Full Version : Ennis 36, Lancaster 32

Ennis HS 76
09-05-2009, 11:32 AM
...one of the most exciting, and nerve-wrecking, games I ever witnessed!!! Whew!!!

33Blood
09-05-2009, 12:05 PM
I was shocked to hear the score last night when they were down 25-15. But after looking at the stats this morning it is clear that Ennis was the better team they just gave up some crazy plays. They still seem to have problems covering kickoffs, that was a problem last year too.

Ennis HS 76
09-05-2009, 07:28 PM
I was shocked to hear the score last night when they were down 25-15. But after looking at the stats this morning it is clear that Ennis was the better team they just gave up some crazy plays. They still seem to have problems covering kickoffs, that was a problem last year too.
Take away the 4 crazy plays (3 by Lancaster and 1 by Ennis) and the score is 29 - 11, Ennis. But big plays are part of the game. With the speed Lancaster has, it seems like anytime they touch the ball in the open field, it is a big play waiting to happen. We have guys like that too, but Lancaster seems to have so many more because they are so fast as a team!!! I have to give our guys credit for sticking with it to get the win.

SLC
09-06-2009, 02:10 AM
Great game played by Ennis, way to hang in there.

wolfpack4life
09-06-2009, 07:57 AM
Sounds like this was a great game. Is lancaster pretty good this yr?

Matthew 2000 Eagle
09-06-2009, 08:52 AM

They've gotten better and better every year, as a team. The talent has always been there but, they haven't been able to put it all together. They're on their way up.

Ennis HS 76
09-06-2009, 09:50 AM
To tell you the truth, I don't know how good they will be this year. They had a decent team last year; but like most teams that got in the way of Longview, they got steam-rolled (2nd round in the playoffs).

Lancaster has been one of the premier Track and Field programs (boys and girls) of any classification in the state for a long time - a lot of that speed is on the football field. They always had the raw talent. When their head coach Andrew Jackson (not "Old Hickory," but the other one) came from Austin Reagan (whose '01 team was a 4A semi-finalist) a lot of people around here expected the Tigers to immediately become a major force in this area. But it didn't happen, mainly because while they were talented, they didn't consistantly maintain the 4-quarters of self-discipline it took to get them over the hump. I saw this time and time again when they played Ennis earlier this decade, and I heard the same report from fans of other schools in this area.
[/URL]

HOWEVER, the last 2-3 years (including now) that has not been the case with the Tigers (at least the times I've seen them). The last two games against Ennis ('08 & '09), they remained focused and played great football for the entire game, almost beating us both times. Maybe it required a football generation to get him to the point of having all his players play their entire career (since 7th grade) under his leadership, as it looks like Jackson has got this thing turned around. That is a great for their program. Even though they were giving me near heart-attacks throughout the evening on Friday, I couldn't help but to admire the way the got after us until the very end - it was a great game.

Link to ennisfootball.com photos - Ennis vs Lancaster
[URL="http://www.ennisfootball.com/Pictures/01012009-09-04%20Lancaster.html"]http://www.ennisfootball.com/Pictures/01012009-09-04%20Lancaster.html (http://www.ennisfootball.com/Pictures/01012009-09-04%20Lancaster.html)

Prep Ticket
09-06-2009, 10:45 AM
I was at this game and I have to agree, it was a very strange one. One thing that was painfully clear was how fast Lancaster was! Their corners were in tight press coverage most of the night and they could flat out fly! A very entertaining game in a bizarre sort of way. Ennis fans, what's up with Harrell going for it on 4th down inside the 20? Is the kicking game that poor?

It worked out for them the first time when D.J. hit Guinyard for a T.D. but the second time was a disaster! I thought for a minute Guinyard was lost for the season on the Wildcat play.

Ennis HS 76
09-06-2009, 10:57 AM
I was at this game and I have to agree, it was a very strange one. One thing that was painfully clear was how fast Lancaster was! Their corners were in tight press coverage most of the night and they could flat out fly! A very entertaining game in a bizarre sort of way. Ennis fans, what's up with Harrell going for it on 4th down inside the 20? Is the kicking game that poor?

It worked out for them the first time when D.J. hit Guinyard for a T.D. but the second time was a disaster! I thought for a minute Guinyard was lost for the season on the Wildcat play.

Going for it on 4th down inside the 20 is NOT uncharacteristic for Ennis under Harrell, especially if we are moving the ball that well. Ennis is not know for long FG kickers - we really don't attempt that many FG's, period. I think we would have made the kick from there - I would have been very SURPRISED had Harrell sent the FG out at that point.

I wished we had gone for it on 4th in our own territory near the end of the game instead of giving the ball back to Lancaster one final time!!! hahahaha

Matthew 2000 Eagle
09-06-2009, 10:18 PM

Class 4A track and field state champs quite a few times, that Lancaster has been. And, most of the guys on the Lancaster track team are suited up in pads.

I know this is a football board and, it has nothing to do with girls but, the Lancaster girls track team has won state the last 8 or 9 years in a row.