PDA

View Full Version : Ennis outscores Cedar Hill in scrimmage

Ennis HS 76
08-23-2009, 07:57 AM
The overall tally was Ennis 2, Cedar Hill 1. Ennis' 1st team offense scored during our 2nd series of the controlled scrimmage and during our OT possession. Cedar Hill's score was by it's 1st team during its OT possession. The "Live" quarter was scoreless.

Except for a couple of blown coverages that could have resulted in CH scores, Ennis played pretty good pass defense tonight. On the ground, we got pushed around a lot in the trenches, but we made the stops when we had to - especially in/near the red zone. Offensively, we didn't do much outside those two scoring drives - we had a lot of dropped passes and CH's defense was just bigger and faster.

Cedar Hill is clearly a talented team, and in some respects the scrimmage conditions leveled the playing field - one has to wonder how much damage could have been done had their QB (as well as ours) been allowed to run until stopped by a tackle when they couldn't find an open receiver. So as an Ennis fan, I wouldn't make too much out of tonight. There's clearly much room for improvement on our part as the (could be brutal) 16-4A schedule approaches, but overall it was a very good scrimmage for Ennis!

Ennis travels to Waco (1st of 4 trips this year) to face the Crosby Cougars in the HEB Classic - Saturday, 8/29 @ 7 pm (Waco ISD Stadium).

GO LIONS - BEAT CROSBY

33Blood
08-23-2009, 09:30 AM
The overall tally was Ennis 2, Cedar Hill 1. Ennis' 1st team offense scored during our 2nd series of the controlled scrimmage and during our OT possession. Cedar Hill's score was by it's 1st team during its OT possession. The "Live" quarter was scoreless.

If Ennis can keep a running game like Cedar Hill's from scoring it would look like this will be another title year.

Ennis HS 76
08-23-2009, 09:47 AM
If Ennis can keep a running game like Cedar Hill's from scoring it would look like this will be another title year.

Oh how I remember the days earlier this decade when Ennis fans could talk about getting a title before the season starts!!!! :D But this is not one of those years!!! LOL

Run defense has been our weak spot for the last 3-4 years. And we did have trouble with Cedar Hill's attack for a lot of the scrimmage, especially between the 30's. But once inside the 30 (and they were there about 4 times during the control scrimmage and the Live quarter) we made the stops we had to. That was what was so encouraging about our run defense.

Like I said earlier, there's much run for improvement on our part. But I was pleased with what I saw against a team like Cedar Hill.

33Blood
08-23-2009, 10:05 AM
Oh how I remember the days earlier this decade when Ennis fans could talk about getting a title before the season starts!!!! :D But this is not one of those years!!! LOL

Run defense has been our weak spot for the last 3-4 years. And we did have trouble with Cedar Hill's attack for a lot of the scrimmage, especially between the 30's. But once inside the 30 (and they were there about 4 times during the control scrimmage and the Live quarter) we made the stops we had to. That was what was so encouraging about our run defense.

Like I said earlier, there's much run for improvement on our part. But I was pleased with what I saw against a team like Cedar Hill.

Last years team looked like they had DB's on the Dline. You guys will score on anyone this year so if you can stop them they should make a pretty good run.

Ennis HS 76
08-23-2009, 10:26 AM
Depending on who you talk to, 16-4A will be either the 1st or 2nd toughest 4A district to play in going into this season. At this point, I can't look past our first district game, which is against Waco High!!! Concerning 16-4A, don't be surprised at surprises...I think we may get 1 or 2!!!

SLC
08-23-2009, 08:28 PM
I said early on that Ennis will be very good this season and had them in my top 10 for a reason.:)

E-Vol-ution
08-23-2009, 09:18 PM
May sound strange, but I'm never surprised to hear about Ennis doing well against anybody.........it was just a matter of time.

Ennis HS 76
08-23-2009, 10:18 PM
Ennis @ Cedar Hill scrimmage photos from ennisfootball.com:

http://www.ennisfootball.com/Pictures/01012009-08-21%20Cedar%20Hill%20Scrimmage.html

LoboFan07
08-23-2009, 10:27 PM
May sound strange, but I'm never surprised to hear about Ennis doing well against anybody.........it was just a matter of time.

100% agreed.