PDA

View Full Version : Seguin vs Clark Scrimmage tomorrow

kbarj
08-14-2009, 09:50 AM
I'm headed to Seguin to watch SA Clark scrimmage with Seguin. I don't know anything about Seguin. What should I expect? Are there any players I should watch for?

Scrimmages lack the tension of games, so I like to focus on individual players and see how they perform. I've got some from Clark that I'll be tracking, but would like to watch some from the other side as well.

stayNpurple
08-14-2009, 03:19 PM
They have two juniors that are listed in Dave Campbell's as players to watch. QB Brig Gerlich and Left Tackle Joseph Cheek. I wouldn't be surprised if you notice at least a few more impressive skill players.

clemensbuff
08-14-2009, 03:20 PM
I'm headed to Seguin to watch SA Clark scrimmage with Seguin. I don't know anything about Seguin. What should I expect? Are there any players I should watch for?

Scrimmages lack the tension of games, so I like to focus on individual players and see how they perform. I've got some from Clark that I'll be tracking, but would like to watch some from the other side as well.

Seguin's QB is a Jr and is a legitimate D1 player. He's a big kid with a very strong arm. Last year was not to kind to him as he through many, many more pics then TDs. Once he learns how to read a defense and tuck the ball and run instead of throwing into coverage, he'll be a stud! He could have run for good positive yards last year against Steele on several occasions but through the ball down field to recievers that looked open and the Steele D picked him off 5 times. In his first varsity start NB picked him off 10 times!!!!!!

I'm not sure what else they have this year but I'm betting they'll be improved from last year quite a bit but they will still probably find the playoffs hard to get to this year in this district.

kbarj
08-14-2009, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the update. On the Clark side, I get the feeling they won't play their returning starters very much. Because they didn't have spring ball, this should be the chance to try out the guys who need to step it up.

69matador
08-14-2009, 05:00 PM
The Seguin players will probably not be wearing any numbers on their jerseys, seems to be Coach Carson's MO for pre-season scrimmages, but you should be able to pick out the Jr. QB Gerlich pretty easily, he'll be head and shoulders taller than the backups, he's about 6'4" and 215 or 220 and from what I hear he attended a QB camp this summer, so we'll see if that helped him, about the interceptions last year, he was pretty green and had less than a year's experience at the QB position when he started last year. Cheek will probably be the biggest lineman, he's also an early commit to A&M. I haven't seen any practices, but was told the team has more size on the lines this year. Last year's JV had a receiver who looked to be built like Desmond Jackson(who's a DB at OU) and caught everything thrown at him that i saw and I'll be interested to see if he's still out there and how much he plays. Last year's team went 2-8 in a pretty tough 4A district with the likes of Tivy, Steele, Clemens, Heights and Boerne, but if Gerlich has improved so should Seguin. I see Clark has a player committed to SMU but is listed as an ATH, what position does he play?

kbarj
08-14-2009, 05:48 PM
Clark has two players who have given verbal commitments. Hayden Greenbauer (QB/Safety #12) is going to SMU as an athlete. Robert Chapman (Center #59) has committed to UTSA. Some other guys that bear watching would be Greg Castro (DL #99), Ethan Price (DL #36) and Joe Vasquez (WR #24). Having said all that, I think some of them may not play at all and others just a few plays since the coaches know what they can do (and that's been their MO in the past).

They are all returning senior starters. While I gave out their numbers, some will have them - some won't. The practice jerseys don't always match the game numbers.:(

kbarj
08-16-2009, 11:34 AM
Well, it was an interesting scrimmage. The obvious objective for the Clark coaches was to evaluate young talent. Clark sat all their major players. I'm not sure any of the guys I listed played during any contact period. I know the QB didn't (7 on 7 only). There were also other starters, not listed, who did not play.

If you want pics, PM me. I'll send you a link to a couple hundred of them.

clemensbuff
08-16-2009, 09:38 PM
Well, it was an interesting scrimmage. The obvious objective for the Clark coaches was to evaluate young talent. Clark sat all their major players. I'm not sure any of the guys I listed played during any contact period. I know the QB didn't (7 on 7 only). There were also other starters, not listed, who did not play.

If you want pics, PM me. I'll send you a link to a couple hundred of them.

How did Seguin look and especially that big old boy playing QB?

69matador
08-16-2009, 10:09 PM
How did Seguin look and especially that big old boy playing QB?

Not a lot of size for Seguin except for Cheek and Gerlich and not a lot of speed, looks like a lean year for Seguin again , Gerlich seems to be stepping into his throws more now, last year he was throwing off his back foot a lot. His dad said he attended a couple of QB day camps in Kansas and Missouri while he was playing baseball this summer and that he also played some 7 on 7 this summer.

kbarj
08-17-2009, 05:45 AM
I thought the QB looked like a prospect. He could throw ropes or air 'em out. I think Seguin's best chance for success with their current talent would be a spread offense. They don't really have the horses up front for any kind of power game.

clemensbuff
08-17-2009, 08:22 AM
Not a lot of size for Seguin except for Cheek and Gerlich and not a lot of speed, looks like a lean year for Seguin again , Gerlich seems to be stepping into his throws more now, last year he was throwing off his back foot a lot. His dad said he attended a couple of QB day camps in Kansas and Missouri while he was playing baseball this summer and that he also played some 7 on 7 this summer.

Doesn't sound good at all for the Matadors. Without speed in this district it could be a long season!

clemensbuff
08-17-2009, 08:25 AM
I think Seguin's best chance for success with their current talent would be a spread offense. They don't really have the horses up front for any kind of power game.

That will be their only chance for success if they do not have any hosses up front. But, if they don't have much speed they will have a tough time getting open against a good defense and the defenses with good D-lines will make them hurry the play. If they cannot protect the QB, they will be in deep trouble!:eek:

69matador
08-17-2009, 12:01 PM
They do run a spread offense without a tight end. They are more of a finessee offense. At 6'2" 195 Sr. Dustin Read is a good poessesion receiver, Popeye Carter may have a lil speed, but I don't think he's a burner, Jared Curnel seems to drop too many passes, Thomas Cockrum has the potential to be a good receiver, last year on the JV he caught everything thrown his way and he's the one I said is built like Desmond Jackson. Now, if Carson would go out on a limb and start a freshman, I think he's got a freshman WR who may be similar to Bowie's receiver DeAndre Perry when he was a freshman.

clemensbuff
08-17-2009, 01:38 PM
They do run a spread offense without a tight end. They are more of a finessee offense. At 6'2" 195 Sr. Dustin Read is a good poessesion receiver, Popeye Carter may have a lil speed, but I don't think he's a burner, Jared Curnel seems to drop too many passes, Thomas Cockrum has the potential to be a good receiver, last year on the JV he caught everything thrown his way and he's the one I said is built like Desmond Jackson. Now, if Carson would go out on a limb and start a freshman, I think he's got a freshman WR who may be similar to Bowie's receiver DeAndre Perry when he was a freshman.

He'd have to be one heck of a freshman to get it done! He'd also have to be able to withstand the abuse he's likely to get from some of the safeties and LBs. A 14 year old kid taking a shot from an 18 year old senior could be a bad thing.

How big is he right now?

69matador
08-17-2009, 04:53 PM
I don't have any physical stats on him, I just remember seeing Perry play against Seguin when he was a freshman and this kid is built kind of like him and I really doubt Coach Carson would play him as a freshman, the only freshman I've seen on a Carson coached team is a place kicker. That being said the kid would add speed to the lineup, but as I said with Carson he'll probably be playing with the freshman team and then given a shot at the varsity as a soph.