PDA

View Full Version : Charging for Autographs

Tut
01-17-2006, 04:04 PM
I hope this isn't true, but Ken Hoffman (Houston Chronicle) wrote that Vince Young is having an autograph session and charging $79 a pop. :mad:

Has he forgotten where he came from? Athletes who are making millions shouldn't charge their fans for signing a piece of paper. How many kids who idolize him can afford it? It's bad enough that most people are eliminated from seeing games live because of cost, but a signiture, come on!

This goes for all the rich athletes who try to soak more money from those who can't afford it. How would they have felt when they were growing up. "Can I have your autograph?"..." Sure, just give my big fat head some more dough."

As far as I'm concerned, they can stuff their sigs up their ***.:(

dragonfootballfan
01-17-2006, 04:14 PM
I think that Vince is getting some bad advice, but nobody has to pay for his signature. I would not spend money on it, and if you do not want to then don't. The Athlete should charge for his autograph because it is not about the kids anymore. Most of the time the kid's parents will take that signature and put it on Ebay and profit off of their kid and the athlete. In order to protect himself, Vince must charge for his autograph.

Tut
01-17-2006, 04:29 PM
I think that Vince is getting some bad advice, but nobody has to pay for his signature. I would not spend money on it, and if you do not want to then don't. The Athlete should charge for his autograph because it is not about the kids anymore. Most of the time the kid's parents will take that signature and put it on Ebay and profit off of their kid and the athlete. In order to protect himself, Vince must charge for his autograph.
I know that stuff happens but don't understand how it protects him. It should be about the kids. Now everything is about money.

dragonfootballfan
01-17-2006, 04:31 PM
I know that stuff happens but don't understand how it protects him. It should be about the kids. Now everything is about money.
it protects him by keeping the value of his autograph up. It also protects him from somebody profitting off of him without seeing any of the proceeds

KT2000
01-17-2006, 04:46 PM
I'd be very surprised if there's truth to that. So much crap and BS concerning top draft prospects is going to be tossed around from now through the draft...and beyond. I'm not listening to the radio or reading any of the Bush vs. Young print.

Tut
01-17-2006, 04:51 PM
I hope Hoffman's facts are wrong also. I find it pathetic that many athletes do this. Hopefully, VY isn't joining them.

slorch
01-17-2006, 06:50 PM
The article said $79 for an autograph, and you couldn't ask for an inscription like," to my best friend, Wide"

It also said for $99, not including the $79 for autograph, you get a photo with him.(Wow, I'm getting goosepimples...)

I honestly don't have an issue with it. it's not the '60s when atheletes didn't have to worry about getting ripped off all the time. IMO Vince is doing what the market will bear. It doesn't bother me in the least.

i imagine if he was in his neighborhood or at his church, he would probably sign for people he could trust as his REAL fans, and not just people out there trying to sell it on EBay.

dragonfootballfan
01-23-2006, 02:02 PM
Lets you know the reason he was charging (http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/01/23vince.html)

GoOwls
01-23-2006, 07:36 PM
I kind of figured there was a philanthropic angle to this whole deal. Nice to know I was right. Some folks should tap the brakes once in a while before they pass judgement on people.

Favpack
01-23-2006, 07:50 PM
I'll sign just about anything for half that - except a blank check - any takers?

dragonfootballfan
01-23-2006, 07:56 PM
I'll sign just about anything for half that - except a blank check - any takers?
If I get enough customers I will make a donation to the local Caddillac dealership

slorch
01-23-2006, 08:16 PM
The article said $79 for an autograph, and you couldn't ask for an inscription like," to my best friend, Wide"

It also said for $99, not including the $79 for autograph, you get a photo with him.(Wow, I'm getting goosepimples...)

I honestly don't have an issue with it. it's not the '60s when atheletes didn't have to worry about getting ripped off all the time. IMO Vince is doing what the market will bear. It doesn't bother me in the least.

i imagine if he was in his neighborhood or at his church, he would probably sign for people he could trust as his REAL fans, and not just people out there trying to sell it on EBay.

I wasn't condemning him. i was supportive of what he was doing.

dragonfootballfan
01-23-2006, 08:18 PM
I wasn't condemning him. i was supportive of what he was doing.
I don't think that he was talking about you.

wide-e-wide
01-23-2006, 09:09 PM
I refuse to pay for autographs...never have ...never will.
To me it takes something away from it....just the fact that you
"bought" it...makes it different.
It takes away the story portion of the autograph.
You can't say..."Yeah I got this one for 100 bucks"
that sucks...
You have to have a good story to go along with it.

BTW ...I got some autographs for my son today at Academy in Temple.
Milo Hamilton
Alan Ashby
Chris Burke
Luke Scott
Mike Gallo
Brandon Backe

Total cost....................$0

dragonfootballfan
01-23-2006, 09:12 PM
I refuse to pay for autographs...never have ...never will.
To me it takes something away from it....just the fact that you
"bought" it...makes it different.
It takes away the story portion of the autograph.
You can't say..."Yeah I got this one for 100 bucks"
that sucks...
You have to have a good story to go along with it.

BTW ...I got some autographs for my son today at Academy in Temple.
Milo Hamilton
Alan Ashby
Chris Burke
Luke Scott
Mike Gallo
Brandon Backe

Total cost....................$0
seeing the smile on your sons face after he gets the autographs..........$Priceless

wide-e-wide
01-23-2006, 09:19 PM
seeing the smile on your sons face after he gets the autographs..........$Priceless

Exactly...

He had on all his Longhorns gear (he's a t-shirt fan ...I realize he's 4...but according to Larry Fine...that does not matter...he's not a booster or an alum...so he's a t-shirt fan like Daddy..)
Anyway...

We go down the line...and we get to Backe...and Backe says "Oh we got a Horns fan...Hook 'em"

My son had a huge smile...and raised up the "Hook 'em" with both hands.

Backe had a watch on that is probably worth more money than I will make in the next year.

dragonfootballfan
01-23-2006, 09:21 PM
(he's a t-shirt fan ...I realize he's 4...but according to Larry Fine...that does not matter...he's not a booster or an alum...so he's a t-shirt fan like Daddy..)

did he buy that t-shirt with his own money because if he did not that makes just a measily bandwagoner. I mean the Longhorns have been the best over the last 4 years so that must have been why he chose to root for them.

wide-e-wide
01-23-2006, 09:29 PM
did he buy that t-shirt with his own money because if he did not that makes just a measily bandwagoner. I mean the Longhorns have been the best over the last 4 years so that must have been why he chose to root for them.

Hey he was around for a few of those OU losses...and he still chose to stick it out.
However, there was this one time when he was about 2...He said Mack should be fired. I quickly reminded him of Mackovic and how things could be worse.
His response......."Who the hell is Mackovic?"

and I said...

"You don't wanna know son"

dragonfootballfan
01-23-2006, 09:31 PM
Hey he was around for a few of those OU losses...and he still chose to stick it out.
However, there was this one time when he was about 2...He said Mack should be fired. I quickly reminded him of Mackovic and how things could be worse.
His response......."Who the hell is Mackovic?"

and I said...

"You don't wanna know son"
The real question is, has he made an Aggy joke yet?

LoneRocket
01-23-2006, 09:57 PM
--

wide-e-wide
01-23-2006, 11:49 PM
The real question is, has he made an Aggy joke yet?

He watched the T+1 game with me...and when he saw some corps members..he said "Look Daddy...Army men"

Granted it wasn't his intent to be comical.
But the fact that they are neither "army" nor "men" was pretty damn funny to me.

Tut
01-24-2006, 11:27 AM
It was for charity, but also he is still an out of work college student who is waiting to sign a contract. The money he is getting is being loaned to him by his agent, which he has to pay back probably with “interest”. If there are people willing to pay that much for a signature then it is not his fault, do not pay and they won’t charge that amount, supply and demand. It is like athletic, concert and movie tickets.

I'm glad it is for charity! Hopefully, he'll go to poor neighborhoods and do it for free.:)

His agent will make plenty off of him without charging interest.;)

Major concert and athletic tickets, while already high, become outrageous when scalpers get hold of them. Yes, the rich do pay the price. :(