PDA

View Full Version : Looking 4 an answer...

gtee2
07-15-2009, 01:34 PM
My son ask me a question bout football that I couldn't answer. He ask if the game is in OT and the defense intercepts or recovers a fumbles and tries to run it back, and in turn they fumble and it's recovered by the offense, does the offense get another chance to score? :confused: The defense is already up by a touchdown.

I really didn't know what to tell him!

SLC
07-15-2009, 02:03 PM
My son ask me a question bout football that I couldn't answer. He ask if the game is in OT and the defense intercepts or recovers a fumbles and tries to run it back, and in turn they fumble and it's recovered by the offense, does the offense get another chance to score? :confused: The defense is already up by a touchdown.

I really didn't know what to tell him!

With the defense being up already, I believe the game ends as soon as he catches the int. (dont know for sure though)

Otis Campbell
07-15-2009, 02:08 PM
What if it's still tied? First possession, offense throws an INT and defense fumbles it back. Who's ball?

wesaxman34
07-15-2009, 02:16 PM
nm

wesaxman34
07-15-2009, 02:19 PM
nm

beaye1
07-15-2009, 02:21 PM
The game is over once the ball is declared dead. Since the offense did not recover and score, the game is over. The change of possesion does not entitle the offense to a new series.

SLC
07-15-2009, 02:26 PM
The game is over once the ball is declared dead. Since the offense did not recover and score, the game is over. The change of possesion does not entitle the offense to a new series.

Thats a damn good answer and it makes sense as well.

wesaxman34
07-15-2009, 02:26 PM

Is this for high school and college? I know the game isn't over until the play is over, but I thought, at least in college, that the offense gets the ball again after the play...:confused:

CCDawgs
07-15-2009, 02:28 PM

Hopefully the defensive player has the brains to just fall down with the ball and call it a game!:cool:

beaye1
07-15-2009, 02:29 PM
Here is the rule from the NCAA college rule book under Rule 3-1. High school in Texas follows the same rules as college with exceptions.

e. Possession series: Each team retains the ball during a possession series
until it scores or fails to make a first down. The ball remains alive after
a change of team possession until it is declared dead. However, Team A
may not have a first and 10 if it again possesses the ball after a change
of team possession (A.R. 3-1-3-I-XII).

beaye1
07-15-2009, 02:31 PM
What if it's still tied? First possession, offense throws an INT and defense fumbles it back. Who's ball?

In this case, the series is dead and now the defense is on offense.

wesaxman34
07-15-2009, 02:31 PM
Here is the rule from the NCAA college rule book under Rule 3-1. High school in Texas follows the same rules as college with exceptions.

Thanks, man. :notworthy

SLC
07-15-2009, 02:33 PM
Hopefully the defensive player has the brains to just fall down with the ball and call it a game!:cool:

I would certainly hope so, if not, he could find another team.

SLC
07-15-2009, 02:34 PM

Good stuff b1...It made sense as soon as you said it.

beaye1
07-15-2009, 02:37 PM
I have to know these things if I want to have the best seat in the stadium.

SLC
07-15-2009, 02:38 PM
I have to know these things if I want to have the best seat in the stadium.

I gotcha...Good enough for me sir. Thanks again for the clarification.

wesaxman34
07-15-2009, 02:47 PM
Thats a damn good answer and it makes sense as well.

Yes, it does. I thought it was something different and I know don't know how...:confused::o lol

SLC
07-15-2009, 04:14 PM
Yes, it does. I thought it was something different and I know don't know how...:confused::o lol

Happens to the best of us my friend.;)