PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Wimbledon

Firebird
06-22-2009, 12:34 PM
Time for my favorite tourney of the year. Paging CavDad-- I can't believe I had to start this thread.

Federer and Sharapova both advance. On the women's side, I am hoping someone ends Serena's domination.

Favpack
06-22-2009, 02:40 PM
Bet the house, car, dog, kids, spouse, and birthright on Federer. The odds of him losing are roughly 100 to 1.

ktCarl
06-22-2009, 02:58 PM
Serena looks like an NFL RB.

twcpfan1
06-22-2009, 04:45 PM
Time for my favorite tourney of the year. Paging CavDad-- I can't believe I had to start this thread.

Federer and Sharapova both advance. On the women's side, I am hoping someone ends Serena's domination.

It's actually Venus whose been dominating that tournament lately. In any case, I'd love to see somebody else take it this year (preferably not named Williams). Maybe Safina so she can get that Grand Slam bugaboo off her back. Sharapova will challenge. The surface suits her game.

Nadal's a no show. Federer should take it. Murray may give him problems, but it's doubtful. The Men's Draw is somewhat of a downer. Not too many people other than Fed and Nadal who know how to play on grass. With Nadal gone, the Final will probably suck.

twcpfan1
06-22-2009, 04:50 PM
Serena looks like an NFL RB.

You need to concentrate on the former Eastern Europeans :D

cougardude
06-22-2009, 09:11 PM
Federer is a great competitor and very good, but sometimes he comes across as way too arrogant for me. But, without Nadal there I think he wins it again!

Firebird
06-24-2009, 12:04 AM
Venus and Safina are through the first round. In Eastern European news, Alona Bondarenko took down Petra Cetkovsa of the Czech Republic, though I believe that Petra is deserving of a photo memorial:

http://d.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/empics/20080613/14/2740437071-tennis-dfs-classic-2008-edgbaston-priory-club-day-five.jpg

yankee
06-24-2009, 12:09 AM
Federer is a great competitor and very good, but sometimes he comes across as way too arrogant for me. But, without Nadal there I think he wins it again!

i think part of the blame is the fact that federer isn't the greatest english speaker in the world...but that just might be. i think both he and nadal are class acts.

twcpfan1
06-24-2009, 12:26 AM
i think part of the blame is the fact that federer isn't the greatest english speaker in the world...but that just might be. i think both he and nadal are class acts.

Federer is South African. He speaks better English than most English Speakers. Speaks 4 other languages fluently as well.

My problem with him is his obsession with his legacy and the need to be seen with A-Listers constantly. But everything considered, a class act and great for the game. Nadal is by far my favorite out of the 2 though. Never left Mallorca. He's pretty humble and grounded.

twcpfan1
06-24-2009, 12:27 AM
Venus and Safina are through the first round. In Eastern European news, Alona Bondarenko took down Petra Cetkovsa of the Czech Republic, though I believe that Petra is deserving of a photo memorial:

http://d.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/empics/20080613/14/2740437071-tennis-dfs-classic-2008-edgbaston-priory-club-day-five.jpg

Very very very good looking match on center court first up in less than 7 hours. Sharapova vs Dulko. Believe it or not. Out of the 2, Sharapova is the ugly one

http://www.pollsb.com/photos/o/9167-gisela_dulko.jpg

yankee
06-24-2009, 12:28 AM
Federer is South African. He speaks better English than most English Speakers. Speaks 4 other languages fluently as well.

My problem with him is his obsession with his legacy and the need to be seen with A-Listers constantly. But everything considered, a class act and great for the game. Nadal is by far my favorite out of the 2 though. Never left Mallorca. He's pretty humble and grounded.

federer is swiss, btw...
anywho, doesn't matter. i think i was confusing nadal with federer as far as the speaking thing goes.

Firebird
06-24-2009, 12:30 AM
federer is swiss, btw...
anywho, doesn't matter. i think i was confusing nadal with federer as far as the speaking thing goes.

Federer's mother is a South African.

Firebird
06-24-2009, 12:31 AM
Very very very good looking match on center court first up in less than 7 hours. Sharapova vs Dulko. Believe it or not. Out of the 2, Sharapova is the ugly one

http://www.pollsb.com/photos/o/9167-gisela_dulko.jpg

Gisela Dulko is a gorgeous woman.

twcpfan1
06-24-2009, 12:33 AM
federer is swiss, btw...

Yes he is but his Mom is South African. I should have been more specific. My bad. He definitely speaks English with a Sth African accent.

yankee
06-24-2009, 12:34 AM
Federer's mother is a South African.

right...but he was born in switzerland, and lived most if not all his life in switzerland. he speaks german, english, and french.

Firebird
06-24-2009, 12:38 AM
right...but he was born in switzerland, and lived most if not all his life in switzerland. he speaks german, english, and french.

Most Swiss I have met speak English better than most Americans I have met.

Anna Chakvetadze won today, which is also a good thing. I think she's my favorite of the Eastern Europeans and Russians. It's the long blonde braid....she looks very Russian although she has a Georgian name and Georgian roots...

http://www.annachakvetadze.com/galerie/Anna%20Chakvetadze%20SP02.jpg

twcpfan1
06-24-2009, 12:43 AM
You didn't forget about Maria Kirilenko, did you?

twcpfan1
06-24-2009, 10:45 AM
The hottest looking player on the tour Gisela Dulko just took Sharapova out in the 2nd round.

Firebird
06-24-2009, 03:32 PM
The hottest looking player on the tour Gisela Dulko just took Sharapova out in the 2nd round.

Sharapova is just off her game after the shoulder injury. I don't know if she will ever return to form. She's famous enough now that she could hang them up and just do endorsements for millions each year.

Firebird
06-24-2009, 03:37 PM
You didn't forget about Maria Kirilenko, did you?

Kirilenko is a babe but I think that Chakvetadze has a prettier face. They're all tennis players, so let's be honest and admit that the bods are going to be great no matter what.

Kirilenko:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/05_01/MariaKirilenko2_650x433.jpg

Chakvetadze:

http://images.wikio.com/images/p/5142/maria-sharapova-and-anna-chakvetadze-in-one-team-together-for-russia.jpg

twcpfan1
06-24-2009, 09:01 PM
Sharapova is just off her game after the shoulder injury. I don't know if she will ever return to form. She's famous enough now that she could hang them up and just do endorsements for millions each year.

She's only 23 I think. And she likes to compete. The next slam is the US Open. She has a couple of months to get ready and get fit for it. Not really prepared to write her off just yet. We'll see how she does in New York

twcpfan1
06-29-2009, 08:29 AM
If you guys think we're having a tough time dealing with 101 degrees in Houston, how do you think they're dealing with 93 degrees in London with no AC.

Having said that it's the best day of the tournament for the fans with all 16 men and 16 women in action.

Ivanovic had to retire with an injury playing Venus. Venus is through and Serena is cruising in her match up big.

ESPN are A-holes. They tell us they're not allowed to tell anybody the result of the Venus - Ivanovic match because NBC has the rights to the telecast but - they'll show us the post match press conference because they can. Like we won't be able to tell who won from that.

Firebird
06-29-2009, 08:42 AM
If you guys think we're having a tough time dealing with 101 degrees in Houston, how do you think they're dealing with 93 degrees in London with no AC.

Having said that it's the best day of the tournament for the fans with all 16 men and 16 women in action.

Ivanovic had to retire with an injury playing Venus. Venus is through and Serena is cruising in her match up big.

ESPN are A-holes. They tell us they're not allowed to tell anybody the result of the Venus - Ivanovic match because NBC has the rights to the telecast but - they'll show us the post match press conference because they can. Like we won't be able to tell who won from that.

This is going to be another Williams year.

twcpfan1
06-29-2009, 08:45 AM
This is going to be another Williams year.

Azarenka, baby :D

Dementieva is also cruising through the draw

RedRage00
06-29-2009, 10:08 AM
Too many unnecessary pics in this thread. :D

Firebird
06-29-2009, 10:14 AM

twcpfan, what's your opinion on the grunting--I don't even think it can be called that, these girls are giving banshee shrieks. In my opinion it's gotten completely over the line. There's no way I believe that these howls are necessary for their game...

Bro. Malcolm X
06-29-2009, 11:25 AM

Giving All Honor and Praise to God the Father. I thank HIM for his Grace. I thank HIM for his Mercy. I thank HIM for sending Jesus, the Perfect, into the world.

And moving to the QuarterFinals = Serena Williams

twcpfan1
06-29-2009, 11:46 AM
twcpfan, what's your opinion on the grunting--I don't even think it can be called that, these girls are giving banshee shrieks. In my opinion it's gotten completely over the line. There's no way I believe that these howls are necessary for their game...

I agree but they should have nipped it in the bud in 1970 when Connors started doing it. A lot have followed suit. MacEnroe, Seles etc. We can't very well pick on a relatively unknown Romanian kid when we have not said jack about people like Sharapova and Serena all these years.

They should just let it go. With the money these guys are making, they should be able to play through it.

Firebird
06-29-2009, 11:48 AM
I agree but they should have nipped it in the bud in 1970 when Connors started doing it. A lot have followed suit. MacEnroe, Seles etc. We can't very well pick on a relatively unknown Romanian kid when we have not said jack about people like Sharapova and Serena all these years.

They should just let it go. With the money these guys are making, they should be able to play through it.

I think someone should have clamped down on Sharapova and Serena, and Seles. It's completley different that what Connors and Johnny Mac were doing...these are full blown shrieks that carry into the opponent's return.

twcpfan1
06-29-2009, 12:00 PM
I think someone should have clamped down on Sharapova and Serena, and Seles. It's completley different that what Connors and Johnny Mac were doing...these are full blown shrieks that carry into the opponent's return.

The problem with Connors and Mac, they were actually purposely mistiming the grunt to not be in sync with the point of contact. Gamesmanship if you ask me. At least the girls are in sync as far as I could tell.

Mac was the king of gamesmanship. The arguments over linecalls were a lot of times to throw off the rhythm of his opponent and swing the momentum of the game his way. All sorts of things they can correct in this game including the deliberate manipulation of schedules and court assignments to favor certain players. I just think the grunting issue is minor in comparison. Besides who's going to determine what is excessive and what is not. Way too subjective and can present a whole new set of problems concerning favoritism.

twcpfan1
06-29-2009, 12:03 PM
Giving All Honor and Praise to God the Father. I thank HIM for his Grace. I thank HIM for his Mercy. I thank HIM for sending Jesus, the Perfect, into the world.

And moving to the QuarterFinals = Serena Williams

I've never seen her more focused. She wants this title bad.

twcpfan1
06-29-2009, 04:04 PM
Pretty darn good QF matchup between 2 former #1's

Lleyton Hewitt (AUS) v Andy Roddick (USA)

Both are playing close to their best tennis. Should provide some decent side entertainment on the way to the inevitable. Federer winning it all again.

On the other side, the only real question is which sister wins it. Venus or Serena.

twcpfan1
06-29-2009, 10:16 PM
The one sport where the Women are at least as significant as the men. I guess they have to do this to make it happen.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1196155/Babe-set-match-How-looks-count-talent-Wimbledon-decides-girls-play-Centre-Court.html

Firebird
06-30-2009, 08:09 AM
I saw this the other day and thought about posting. It just confirms what most of us suspected.

I am pulling pretty hard for Andy Murray to keep the title at home this year...he had a great match under the closed roof yesterday.

twcpfan1
06-30-2009, 09:09 AM
I saw this the other day and thought about posting. It just confirms what most of us suspected.

I am pulling pretty hard for Andy Murray to keep the title at home this year...he had a great match under the closed roof yesterday.

I'll take Hewitt over Murray in an upset if they both get past their qf matches.

No British champ since 1936 might start to weigh on Murray. He is Scottish though so that might help him. Cheered openly against England in the 06 World Cup.

twcpfan1
06-30-2009, 10:45 AM
Looks like the 1st 4 seeds are going to the semis. The 2 Russians and Venus are through. Serena is cruising at the moment.

edit: maybe not yet. Azarenka fighting back against Serena

Firebird
06-30-2009, 03:42 PM
The semis are set.

Venus v. Safina
Serena v. Dementieva

Realistiacally I think only Safina can stand in the Williams' way, but she has to not choke on this stage.

Bro. Malcolm X
06-30-2009, 04:15 PM

And then there were FOUR!
Semi Finals will be entertaining!

:D

twcpfan1
06-30-2009, 04:38 PM
At least, all matches past the quarters will be on center court. No more having to search for excuses why the top ranked players are playing on outside courts. Actually they didn't even offer any excuses, did they. They admitted they wanted all the babes on the show court.

Bro. Malcolm X
06-30-2009, 04:43 PM
At least, all matches past the quarters will be on center court. No more having to search for excuses why the top ranked players are playing on outside courts. Actually they didn't even offer any excuses, did they. They admitted they wanted all the babes on the show court.

That Center Court is very nice. I really like the new top.

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m4/apr2009/7/9/centre-court-wimbledon-pic-pa-418813394.jpg

twcpfan1
06-30-2009, 05:06 PM

That Center Court is very nice. I really like the new top.

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m4/apr2009/7/9/centre-court-wimbledon-pic-pa-418813394.jpg

Gotta hand it to the British. They seem to do everything right when it comes to Wimbledon.

Firebird
07-01-2009, 04:25 PM
Men's semis are set:

Roddick v. Murray
Federer v. Tommy Haas

I don't see Federer going down, but I would like to see either Murray or Roddick bring it home for England or the U.S.

twcpfan1
07-01-2009, 05:30 PM
Men's semis are set:

Roddick v. Murray
Federer v. Tommy Haas

I don't see Federer going down, but I would like to see either Murray or Roddick bring it home for England or the U.S.

The Roddick - Hewitt match delivered as promised. 6-4 in the 5th, Roddick. Not who I would have preferred to be in the semis but good to see just the same. Unfortunately Fed is playing like he's in a different stratosphere at the moment. Only Nadal can beat him. Unfortunately he's not in London.

yankee
07-01-2009, 05:51 PM
glad to see roddick winning again.
i hope he makes it to the final, which will be against roger, but there's no way i see him taking down federer. though i'd love to see him get his 2nd (?) grand slam.

if roger wins this thing, do any of you see it as a "tainted" win (especially since it would his record 15th or 16th grand slam) because nadal was unable to participate? i know i don't...it's not like there's no talent out there that federer had to beat.

twcpfan1
07-01-2009, 06:54 PM
glad to see roddick winning again.
i hope he makes it to the final, which will be against roger, but there's no way i see him taking down federer. though i'd love to see him get his 2nd (?) grand slam.

if roger wins this thing, do any of you see it as a "tainted" win (especially since it would his record 15th or 16th grand slam) because nadal was unable to participate? i know i don't...it's not like there's no talent out there that federer had to beat.

Roddick has one slam. The 03 US Open. So next one, if there's a next one would be his 2nd.

I had that same thought about your tainted win question. There certainly is an extra spring in Federer's step and a little more joy in his interviews with Nadal at home in Mallorca. However fitness and durability is part of the equation and Roger's style is so fluid and easy that he does not require the wear and tear physically that Nadal has to have to win matches.

twcpfan1
07-02-2009, 08:12 AM
Dementieva takes the 1st set against Serena. Question is, will her nerves hold up?

Firebird
07-02-2009, 08:29 AM
Dementieva takes the 1st set against Serena. Question is, will her nerves hold up?

I can guarantee that Wimbledon sponsors and organizers are hoping the nerves do.

twcpfan1
07-02-2009, 08:33 AM
I can guarantee that Wimbledon sponsors and organizers are hoping the nerves do.

She just broke back. On serve 4-3 Dementieva in the 2nd. 2 games away from the upset.

twcpfan1
07-02-2009, 08:39 AM
4-4 now. That freakin shot spot is rigged. That break point ball from Serena looked out.

Firebird
07-02-2009, 08:44 AM
4-4 now. That freakin shot spot is rigged. That break point ball from Serena looked out.

If it goes to a third set, I don't think Dementieva has it in her. She needs to close out Serena now.

twcpfan1
07-02-2009, 08:46 AM
If it goes to a third set, I don't think Dementieva has it in her. She needs to close out Serena now.

5-4 now. Big hold after initially giving up a 40-0 lead. The elegant looking Russian is hanging in there

Bro. Malcolm X
07-02-2009, 09:03 AM

What a match!

:D

twcpfan1
07-02-2009, 09:07 AM
How much more luck does Serena need? 1 set all now

Firebird
07-02-2009, 09:09 AM
Serena will go for the kill in the 3rd. Quite a bit of luck went into her winning that 2nd set, I don't think Dementieva will bounce back.

twcpfan1
07-02-2009, 10:01 AM
Serena will go for the kill in the 3rd. Quite a bit of luck went into her winning that 2nd set, I don't think Dementieva will bounce back.

she's down 6-7. gotta break serena to stay in the match

twcpfan1
07-02-2009, 10:04 AM
she's down 6-7. gotta break serena to stay in the match

didnt do it. great effort though. another boring womens final coming up.

Bro. Malcolm X
07-02-2009, 10:04 AM

I am very impressed with the Young Russian! :notworthy

http://img.skysports.com/09/06/218x298/Elena-Dementieva-Wimbledon-Day-Eight-2009-2_2323590.jpg

Bro. Malcolm X
07-02-2009, 10:06 AM

Into the Championship:

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z266/exposbabe/2009Wimbledon/serenagetty.jpg

Firebird
07-02-2009, 10:10 AM
didnt do it. great effort though. another boring womens final coming up.

Do you think Safina has a prayer against Venus?

twcpfan1
07-02-2009, 10:13 AM
Do you think Safina has a prayer against Venus?

Probably not but you never know. No one's expecting much out of her. That might help her. Of course that's wishful thinking on my part. Might as well play lotto.

Favpack
07-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Nothing worse than a Venus vs. Serena final. I often wonder if they decide beforehand who's turn it is. I do give credit to Serena though - great comeback.

Firebird
07-02-2009, 10:18 AM
Nothing worse than a Venus vs. Serena final. I often wonder if they decide beforehand who's turn it is. I do give credit to Serena though - great comeback.

Funny that you should say that...Elena Dementieva has suggested a couple of times that they do exactly that. She drew a lot of fire for it. She has probably the best English of any of the Russians, so her insinuation was no slip of the tongue.

twcpfan1
07-02-2009, 10:18 AM

They say they don't but I don't buy it. The slam organizers should always arrange it so they meet in the semis instead of the final, particularly if neither of them is ranked #1. But I think they like the matchup in the finals. Can't for the life of me see why.

twcpfan1
07-02-2009, 10:21 AM
Funny that you should say that...Elena Dementieva has suggested a couple of times that they do exactly that. She drew a lot of fire for it. She has probably the best English of any of the Russians, so her insinuation was no slip of the tongue.

As far as I know, she drew fire from the Williams'. Not anybody else. Wouldn't be surprised if most agree with her. Even the lame ESPN commentators who pretend to be outraged by it.

twcpfan1
07-02-2009, 12:06 PM
So much for wishful thinking. Venus in less than an hour. 6-1 6-0

That's ok. I have to go to the July 4th parade anyway. My kid is in it

Bro. Malcolm X
07-02-2009, 04:52 PM

It has to be quite a feeling playing your sibling in a Grand Slam Championship. Wow!

[/URL][URL="http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.welt.de/multimedia/archive/00604/eng_venus_GBS_BM_Ba_604084g.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.welt.de/english-news/article2177055/Wimbledon_final_will_see_Williams_sisters_battle_i t_out.html&usg=__gG-QhrWd623f2F6d5e0-FnAd8oY=&h=313&w=469&sz=29&hl=en&start=25&tbnid=R2_sLkNHgWZoYM:&tbnh=85&tbnw=128&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dwimbledon%2Bwilliams%2Bsisters%2Bpict ures%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26st art%3D20"] (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.entertainmentexclusives.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/wimbledon-2008.jpeg&imgrefurl=http://www.entertainmentexclusives.net/wordpress/%3Fcat%3D65&usg=__P2IXsfop27kOP3Miia99K0EbjsI=&h=400&w=566&sz=51&hl=en&start=24&tbnid=GMA31J0bXkPtTM:&tbnh=95&tbnw=134&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dwimbledon%2Bwilliams%2Bsisters%2Bpict ures%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26st art%3D20)
http://i.thisislondon.co.uk/i/pix/2008/07/williams-sisters-wimbledon2_415x275.jpg

twcpfan1
07-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Serena is the best pressure player in the game today

Venus is the greatest player at Wimbledon. It's pretty much up to her whether she wins it or she lets her sister win it.

twcpfan1
07-03-2009, 07:27 AM
In conjunction with all the GOAT (greatest of all time) conversations that is sure to follow the moment Federer takes over the lead in all time slams, here is my short list. (only includes players 26 and older. Need to see what Nadal does in the next 5 years or so)

1. Laver
2. Borg
3. Federer
4. Connors
5. Sampras

Honorable mention:
Emerson
Hoad
Rosewall
Agassi
McEnroe

Firebird
07-03-2009, 08:16 AM
In conjunction with all the GOAT (greatest of all time) conversations that is sure to follow the moment Federer takes over the lead in all time slams, here is my short list. (only includes players 26 and older. Need to see what Nadal does in the next 5 years or so)

1. Laver
2. Borg
3. Federer
4. Connors

Honorable mention:
Emerson
Hoad
Rosewall
McEnroe

Sampras not even HM? I gotta say the guy who's record Federer is going to break at least deserves to be in the conversation. He's not the GOAT, but he is sniffing at the top 5.

ktCarl
07-03-2009, 08:31 AM
Well, at least an American will win it and on the 4th of July. How poignant.

twcpfan1
07-03-2009, 09:00 AM
Sampras not even HM? I gotta say the guy who's record Federer is going to break at least deserves to be in the conversation. He's not the GOAT, but he is sniffing at the top 5.

That was my bad. Sampras definitely in the top 5. Agassi hon mention. Probably Lendl too.

edit to follow.

twcpfan1
07-03-2009, 09:03 AM
Well, at least an American will win it and on the 4th of July. How poignant.

Most Americans don't care. I remember early in their careers when Chris Evert used to call matches between either one and Martina Hingis. Evert would clearly be pulling for the Swiss.

twcpfan1
07-03-2009, 09:11 AM
Federer's wife is getting big. I know she's expecting and all. Gotta watch that diet and salt intake.

By the way, Federer through to the final in straight sets

Firebird
07-03-2009, 11:09 AM
Most Americans don't care. I remember early in their careers when Chris Evert used to call matches between either one and Martina Hingis. Evert would clearly be pulling for the Swiss.

I agree twcp. These players are individuals out there representing no one but themselves. The way the pro tour is set up, it is a truly individual sport-- so I see no reason not to choose favorites based on personality/paying style, etc. Except when the Davis Cup rolls around, nationality is way down the list of reasons to cheer for/not cheer for a player.

Plus, for a lot of these players they are "X" nationality in name only. The players will have a residence in Monte Carlo for tax purposes, but live and train in Australia, but carry a Serbian passport, etc.....(no single player in mind, just an example.) The only thing Russian/Serbian/Croat/Czech about a lot of the Eastern Europeans is their birth place.

Firebird
07-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Roddick vs. Federer for the finals.

yankee
07-03-2009, 03:36 PM
roddick is playing some of the best tennis of his career. however, i'm torn on who to root for in the final. i want to see federer get the monkey off his back but i would also love to see roddick pull off the huge upset. oh well, hopefully it'll be an interesting match.

twcpfan1
07-03-2009, 07:05 PM
roddick is playing some of the best tennis of his career. however, i'm torn on who to root for in the final. i want to see federer get the monkey off his back but i would also love to see roddick pull off the huge upset. oh well, hopefully it'll be an interesting match.

The monkey was off his back after he won the French. He's got 5 Wimbledons. Only thing left is the Olympic gold in singles. Got a feeling the doubles gold was enough though. He can forget about beating Nadal in Paris. That won't happen. All that said, he is now the most accomplished of all the current players and maybe 2nd only to Laver all time.

twcpfan1
07-03-2009, 07:07 PM
I agree twcp. These players are individuals out there representing no one but themselves. The way the pro tour is set up, it is a truly individual sport-- so I see no reason not to choose favorites based on personality/paying style, etc. Except when the Davis Cup rolls around, nationality is way down the list of reasons to cheer for/not cheer for a player.

Plus, for a lot of these players they are "X" nationality in name only. The players will have a residence in Monte Carlo for tax purposes, but live and train in Australia, but carry a Serbian passport, etc.....(no single player in mind, just an example.) The only thing Russian/Serbian/Croat/Czech about a lot of the Eastern Europeans is their birth place.

Pat Rafter chose Bermuda as his tax home. Most tennis rich dudes and F1 guys are in Monte Carlo though.

twcpfan1
07-03-2009, 07:14 PM

If Roddick serves out of his mind, he's got a slim chance to pull the upset. Had Hewitt won that close qf against Roddick, he would have been dogfood for Federer. Bad bad matchup for Hewitt. Roddick at least has that big serve. Picking Federer in 3 or 4.

twcpfan1
07-05-2009, 08:29 AM
I'll say it again. I do not like the replay technology they're using for line call challenges. I do not like the simulated graphic. They should use the super slo-mo cam they referred to as the mac cam so they'd get the actual image. A couple of times already in this men's final match, it's been clearly wrong. I believe Dementieva would have played Venus if it was not for it.

twcpfan1
07-05-2009, 08:54 AM
Roddick takes the 1st set.

Sampras showing up unexpectedly might have pissed Roddick off. He's there to apparently watch Federer break his record. That might backfire. (hopefully) Might end up being a distraction for Federer.

twcpfan1
07-05-2009, 09:35 AM
Unbelievable. Roddick just blew 4 consecutive set pts in the tiebreak to lose the 2nd set. 1 set all now.

twcpfan1
07-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Federer pulls it out. 16-14 in the 5th. That might suggest a great match but boring for the most part. Particularly compared to last year. Not a lot of great points played. Both players basically just took care of their own service games. Roddick was able to do that because of the unseasonably hot and dry conditions all week. So it helped his serve with that court faster than normal. Even Federer was less emotional than you would expect after breaking Sampras' record. I think in the back of his mind, he knew the player to beat was home in Spain. Even mentioned that when asked how he rates this championship.

Laver still the greatest. 2 calendar slams inspite missing 5 years because of the Pro Tennis debacle. Could have easily had at least 10 - 12 more if not more.

yankee
07-05-2009, 01:21 PM
kudos to roddick...never would have thought he'd take federer to 5 sets (and beyond, practically).

Favpack
07-05-2009, 06:40 PM
Watched it before and after church - missed the blown second set by Andy - that had to have hurt his chances immensely, but, most thought it would be Roger in straight sets, so, kudos to Roddick.

I've just never been a huge Federer fan, but, he's won 15 of them now, so, congrats. Sampras vs. Federer in their prime at Wimbledon? My money's on Pete.

twcpfan1
07-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Watched it before and after church - missed the blown second set by Andy - that had to have hurt his chances immensely, but, most thought it would be Roger in straight sets, so, kudos to Roddick.

I've just never been a huge Federer fan, but, he's won 15 of them now, so, congrats. Sampras vs. Federer in their prime at Wimbledon? My money's on Pete.

If you remember back to when Sampras broke Emerson's record at Wimbledon, Rafter was up big in the 2nd set tiebreak and was about to take a 2-0 lead. Sampras came storming back and took the tibreak to make it a set each, and the rest is history. I was nearly sick as I'm sure the Roddick fans were today after he blew 4 consecutive set points, 2 on his own serve. Fed won 6 pts in a row to draw even in sets. Sickening.

As for Fed v Sampras, they'd have to rig a grasscourt to play superfast to keep the rallys short for Sampras to have a chance. On any slow or medium fast court, advantage Federer. Nadal at his best probably beats both of them if you average the matches over all surfaces.