PDA

View Full Version : My ancestry...

wide-e-wide
12-29-2005, 01:18 AM
Well I took some money given to me as a Christmas gift...and purchased an online subscription to Ancestry.com.

My wife and I sat down and did it together...and it was awesome. I have always been interested in researching my roots...so this is just too cool to me.

So far...we started with my Dad's side of the family...and traced back to my Grandfather in Texas...on to his father born in Alabama...his father born in Alabama came to Texas around 1885 (He's the one that had 33 kids...I told 'yall about him a while back)....then on to his father born in South Carolina...then his father,grandfather, and great-Grandfather...all the way back to Johannes Heinrich Wideman...who came to America in 1760 with his wife Mary...who gave birth to Adam Wideman onboard the ship that brought them to America over 245 years ago!!! Wow.....this is a trip. I am having a lot of fun doing this...Counting my kids...I have covered 9 generations of Widemans...Awesome.

I haven't had as much luck so far with my Mother's side of the family...I'm thinking a lot of the records don't exist because of my Native American heritage...a lot of the info comes from census reports...and thus far I am coming up with blanks...I have only traced back to around 1900...but I'm not giving up yet.

Anybody who is interested....PM me...and I will let you borrow my password...You will enjoy it...

stevefoxsc
12-29-2005, 01:20 AM
wow they keep records from that far back, ima do mine one day but beeing mixed and all i might have 60000000 pages of different relatives :(

wide-e-wide
12-29-2005, 01:24 AM
wow they keep records from that far back, ima do mine one day but beeing mixed and all i might have 60000000 pages of different relatives :(

It's interesting...You can see how and when your family separated and went on to different parts of the country...and how you ended up here...
Most of my relatives were from Abbeville,S.C. and then migrated down to Alabama...and then to Texas. You can view marriage,birth and death records...even military records and ship records.

lonny23
12-29-2005, 01:41 AM
Well I took some money given to me as a Christmas gift...and purchased an online subscription to Ancestry.com.

My wife and I sat down and did it together...and it was awesome. I have always been interested in researching my roots...so this is just too cool to me.

So far...we started with my Dad's side of the family...and traced back to my Grandfather in Texas...on to his father born in Alabama...his father born in Alabama came to Texas around 1885 (He's the one that had 33 kids...I told 'yall about him a while back)....then on to his father born in South Carolina...then his father,grandfather, and great-Grandfather...all the way back to Johannes Heinrich Wideman...who came to America in 1760 with his wife Mary...who gave birth to Adam Wideman onboard the ship that brought them to America over 245 years ago!!! Wow.....this is a trip. I am having a lot of fun doing this...Counting my kids...I have covered 9 generations of Widemans...Awesome.

I haven't had as much luck so far with my Mother's side of the family...I'm thinking a lot of the records don't exist because of my Native American heritage...a lot of the info comes from census reports...and thus far I am coming up with blanks...I have only traced back to around 1900...but I'm not giving up yet.

Anybody who is interested....PM me...and I will let you borrow my password...You will enjoy it...I've fooled around with it in the past, but haven't really done anything since I got married. It was cool when I traced a strand all the way back to Adam.

Primetime536
12-29-2005, 04:03 AM

lonny23
12-29-2005, 04:39 AM
Wide,

I thought for sure you were going to tell us you were somehow related to The Bear from B.J. and the Bear!:p

lonny23
12-29-2005, 04:42 AM
Maybe you'll find out you're related to implacable44, concha, FootballJunkie, MyRound0, and ReaganRattler07!:p

KT2000
12-29-2005, 07:59 AM
Lonny was the 3rd gunman on the grassy knoll who fired the magic bullet.

CyFallsMom
12-29-2005, 08:35 AM
Wide, which native american tribe on your mothers side are you all part of? On my mothers side, we are Choctaw - in fact, I am in the process of getting my CDIB card (certified degree of Indian blood) - helps my kids with college costs. We had to wait to get a death cert on my grandmother because she was born in Indian territory and never had a birth certificate. On my dad's side, my family came to the US in the 1700's and fought in the American revolution, then proceeded to fight in the Civil War (Confederacy - in fact, my family was the real Wilkes family from Georgia - read Gone With the Wind for clarification) and one of my ancestors even came to Texas to fight at San Jacinto so we've been in Houston for a LONG time. As fate would have it, we are probably related somewhere along the line, Wide:)

And to top it off, I'm related to Frank Hamer - the Texas Ranger who led the raid on Bonnie and Clyde.

Redneckn
12-29-2005, 09:14 AM
Wide: My people were in Abbeville, SC around the same time as yours. They moved to the area from Virginia.
I have only been able to get my dads side back to 1715 or so.
My moms side is different. I have been able to track them back to William The Conqueror when he came and took over England. Before that, it is kind of iffy because they were Normans (Normandy) and the name was a "title" after coming to England. (Chamberlain)

mad_fan
12-29-2005, 12:39 PM
Wide: My people were in Abbeville, SC around the same time as yours. They moved to the area from Virginia.
I have only been able to get my dads side back to 1715 or so.
My moms side is different. I have been able to track them back to William The Conqueror when he came and took over England. Before that, it is kind of iffy because they were Normans (Normandy) and the name was a "title" after coming to England. (Chamberlain)

So your family tree does fork...

dada
12-29-2005, 12:42 PM
My last name is Francis...My mother's last name is Wade. I need to find out if I'm related to Steve Francis and Dwayne Wade so my son can stop bothering me.

lonny23
12-29-2005, 12:49 PM
Lonny was the 3rd gunman on the grassy knoll who fired the magic bullet.
If it had been me, I would've saved one for the guy flying into DC.

lonny23
12-29-2005, 12:52 PM
My last name is Francis...My mother's last name is Wade. I need to find out if I'm related to Steve Francis and Dwayne Wade so my son can stop bothering me.He's going to be upset when he finds out you're related to Wade Francis!:D

dada
12-29-2005, 12:55 PM
He's going to be upset when he finds out you're related to Wade Francis!:D
He was upset that steve got traded to orlando...he swears that its his cousin. I think we actually are realted to ex-Baylor ex Bengal LB James Francis.

KT2000
12-29-2005, 01:03 PM
We need Sweetpea in this thread. His family could form a Lufkin super team!

lonny23
12-29-2005, 01:04 PM
Both of my dad's parents were English. I have no idea how long my grandmother (maiden name Finch) has been over here, but they were in Texas since at least the 1800's. My grandfather's family has been in Texas since the late 1800's and was in Missouri after the Civil War. They were in Eastern Tennessee before the war, Georgia before that, and Southwest Virginia from the 1720's until the late 1790's. 7 genertations back was when Mr. Rowden died on a boat coming from England and he had a 1 year old son born in Southwest England. There are 2 towns named Rowden in the world. Texas and England. I did trace the royalty leg of my family tree all the way back to Adam, but that was a strand of somebody that married somebody who eventually married a Rowden. There were relatives in Scotland for well over 400 years. The last King I was related to was "Bruce", King of Scotland and he lost to William Wallace in Braveheart. Mad said he was related to William Wallace. If you go back from Bruce, you'll see like 60 people that were kings.

On my mom's side, her mom is Irish (maiden name Shaw), but my grandfather is English (Sterling), but a little Indian.

lonny23
12-29-2005, 01:08 PM
He was upset that steve got traded to orlando...he swears that its his cousin. I think we actually are realted to ex-Baylor ex Bengal LB James Francis.
I wanted to tease my co-worker a few years ago about being related to Fred Whitfield and he said, "I think I am!":D

lonny23
12-29-2005, 01:09 PM
I'm so glad the Bengals drafted him and all Cowboy fans should. JJ wanted to draft Francis, but took Emmitt when they moved up in the draft.

dragons08
12-29-2005, 01:13 PM
i bet wide is somehow related to redneckn or lonny

dada
12-29-2005, 01:18 PM
I wanted to tease my co-worker a few years ago about being related to Fred Whitfield and he said, "I think I am!":D
The Bull Rider/Cowboy?....I worked with his cousin....they are also related to a RB that played for the titatans....cant remember his name though

lonny23
12-29-2005, 01:28 PM
The Bull Rider/Cowboy?....I worked with his cousin....they are also related to a RB that played for the titatans....cant remember his name though
Yeah, him. Whitfield is from Corsicana and I was teasing him about the Cowboy thing. He's a good ol' boy, but was giving me the line about not liking country music except for Garth Brooks and I threw Fred Whitfield out there. We were the only 2 guys in our career field on that deployment. It was about the same time we had this big brother from the northest side of SA (maybe close to Seguin or McQueeney) named Kountigeorgis (close) who said he was going to buy a ranch. Me and Whitfield almost fell on the floor laughing and I started calling his Hoss Cartwright and played the Bonanza theme song every time he walked in the door!:D

lonny23
12-29-2005, 07:33 PM
Yeah, him. Whitfield is from Corsicana and I was teasing him about the Cowboy thing. He's a good ol' boy, but was giving me the line about not liking country music except for Garth Brooks and I threw Fred Whitfield out there. We were the only 2 guys in our career field on that deployment. It was about the same time we had this big brother from the northest side of SA (maybe close to Seguin or McQueeney) named Kountigeorgis (close) who said he was going to buy a ranch. Me and Whitfield almost fell on the floor laughing and I started calling his Hoss Cartwright and played the Bonanza theme song every time he walked in the door!:D
I forgot to tell you I made a "Wanted Poster" for the guy that said he was going to buy a ranch. I got his picture from Security Forces and made a poster that said he was wanted for rustling cattle!:p

GoOwls
12-29-2005, 08:02 PM
My grandfather, Thomas Wiseman, came to America in 1704 on a Quaker ship that landed in Germantown, PA. His son was born on that ship. That son lived in PA and knew David Crockett's dad as there are a number of petitions and documents that both men signed that indicated they were neighbors. His son was born in PA. His son moved him to North Carolina in around 1780 where he died. That son was a prosperous planter and he must have been anti-slavery as there were never any mentions of owned slaves on the censuses, as were required at the time. His son moved to Tennessee, east of Nashville, in 1804 and became one of the first and most famous Baptist ministers of his time. He was credited as being a founding member of the Wirt Seminary in Tennessee. His son was also a Baptist minister. His son was a farmer. His son moved to Texas about 1900 with his family. His son, born in 1894, was my grandfather. My dad was born in 1919. I was born in 1958. My son was born in 1979.

That covers 12 generations and 305 years of my fathers side of the family. Unfortunately, all that is known about the ship that brought him over is that it was a Quaker ship that left Germany, to Holland, to England, to Scotland, to Ireland and there is no record of where he and his family got on at, so we may never know past that point. Family history says we are English, but we may never know.

lonny23
12-29-2005, 09:06 PM
My grandfather, Thomas Wiseman, came to America in 1704 on a Quaker ship that landed in Germantown, PA. His son was born on that ship. That son lived in PA and knew David Crockett's dad as there are a number of petitions and documents that both men signed that indicated they were neighbors. His son was born in PA. His son moved him to North Carolina in around 1780 where he died. That son was a prosperous planter and he must have been anti-slavery as there were never any mentions of owned slaves on the censuses, as were required at the time. His son moved to Tennessee, east of Nashville, in 1804 and became one of the first and most famous Baptist ministers of his time. He was credited as being a founding member of the Wirt Seminary in Tennessee. His son was also a Baptist minister. His son was a farmer. His son moved to Texas about 1900 with his family. His son, born in 1894, was my grandfather. My dad was born in 1919. I was born in 1958. My son was born in 1979.

That covers 12 generations and 305 years of my fathers side of the family. Unfortunately, all that is known about the ship that brought him over is that it was a Quaker ship that left Germany, to Holland, to England, to Scotland, to Ireland and there is no record of where he and his family got on at, so we may never know past that point. Family history says we are English, but we may never know.
As best I can tell, the only relatives I have that fought in the Civil War fought for the Union. There was an Eastern Tennessee movement that supported the Union and not the Confederacy in spite of Tennesee seceding from the Union.

GoOwls
12-29-2005, 09:29 PM
I had a few uncles who fought in the Revolutionary War and I didn't have any direct-line relatives who fought in the Civil War, since all were preachers, but I had a number of uncles and cousins who fought for the Confederacy. We had a few who fought for the Union, but were in a brach of the family that forked off long ago and settled in Ohio, Illinois, and Indiana.

Redneckn
12-29-2005, 10:36 PM
None of my direct family lines (dads side) fought for the Union. When my family first got started on this side of the pond, evidently there were 2 (that we know of) brothers and 1 settled around Maryland and the other settled around Virginia. That Virginia line is my line. Those others are just just that..haha.. Actually I've never met any from that other line.

My moms side all fought on the Union side. Generals, governors, people with power. But when you come from royalty, I guess that's what you end up with.. Bunch of yankees... :eek:

KT2000
12-29-2005, 10:48 PM
Both sides of my family trace back to Scotland in the 1700s. Settled in the sand hills region of North Carolina (Anson/Pinehurst, near Rockingham...SW of Raleigh) on one side and in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina near Tennessee border on the other. We've some some English-Irish-German influence also, but mostly Scotland.

I'm happy to report the tree does fork.

Quite a few relatives who were traced fought in the Civil War for the Confederacy and a couple of them were at Appomattox when General Lee surrendered. Big Confederate influence in the family tree that's for sure.

The word Tar Heel was actually derived from the Civil War. General Lee commented that a band of soliders from North Carolina stood their ground and "fought like they had tar on their heels."

wide-e-wide
12-30-2005, 12:50 AM
Wide, which native american tribe on your mothers side are you all part of? On my mothers side, we are Choctaw - in fact, I am in the process of getting my CDIB card (certified degree of Indian blood) - helps my kids with college costs. We had to wait to get a death cert on my grandmother because she was born in Indian territory and never had a birth certificate. On my dad's side, my family came to the US in the 1700's and fought in the American revolution, then proceeded to fight in the Civil War (Confederacy - in fact, my family was the real Wilkes family from Georgia - read Gone With the Wind for clarification) and one of my ancestors even came to Texas to fight at San Jacinto so we've been in Houston for a LONG time. As fate would have it, we are probably related somewhere along the line, Wide:)

And to top it off, I'm related to Frank Hamer - the Texas Ranger who led the raid on Bonnie and Clyde.

My Granny was born and raised in Milton,OK (she got to Texas as soon as she could...and was a Longhorns fan)...all of my Indian roots are Cherokee....and after 3 days of trying...I can't get past 1900 on that side of my family...it's very frustrating.

dada
12-30-2005, 08:30 AM
I worked with his cousin Don Whitfield....he gave me tickets to the Houston Livestock show and rodeo....he also has a cousin that played for UofH and then played RB for the Tennesse Titians(For some reason I cant remember his name), but he would go to Titans games and bring my son souveniers.

lonny23
12-30-2005, 09:47 AM
My Granny was born and raised in Milton,OK (she got to Texas as soon as she could...and was a Longhorns fan)...all of my Indian roots are Cherokee....and after 3 days of trying...I can't get past 1900 on that side of my family...it's very frustrating.
I was born in Milton, FL and 5 bucks says Farmer partied in Milton, MA!;)

DiamondJ2
01-14-2006, 08:05 PM
wide, don't foreget to check immigration out of Ellis Island, census from various years. It is fascinating to trace your heritage. My Father's side of the family, we have traced back to North Carolina and know that they settled in that sate from Germany around 1715. My mother's mothers side, we have the naturalization papers from my great-great-great grandpa denouncing his citizenship to Norway. We know the village that he came from & have been in contact with people who have been able to assist us in tracing that side of our family back to around 1500.

The chances of people having royalty in their background are very slim since most of the Europeans were peasants/serfs. My next door neighbor has been able to trace their family back to England around 1100, because of William's Doomesday Book which was in part a census. It's three binders full of all sorts of information.

wide-e-wide
01-14-2006, 11:04 PM
My seventh great Grandfather came to America on a ship named "The Sandwich" in 1750 in Philadelphia...he later settled in North Carolina...and then South Carolina some years later.

CyFallsMom
01-14-2006, 11:41 PM

It's very hard to get the Indian side of a family tree. My sister was finally able to get some of it but most of the background came from my maternal grandfather's side because they were English and they kept the best records. The Irish side on my father's side also kept good records. I just know that I went to a funeral in OK once for a great uncle and everyone in the room except for my sisters and I looked like they just came in from fighting John Wayne out on the open plains, long braids and all!! Oh well, at least I get my CDIB card which comes with lots of freebies!!

wide-e-wide
01-14-2006, 11:45 PM
It's very hard to get the Indian side of a family tree. My sister was finally able to get some of it but most of the background came from my maternal grandfather's side because they were English and they kept the best records. The Irish side on my father's side also kept good records. I just know that I went to a funeral in OK once for a great uncle and everyone in the room except for my sisters and I looked like they just came in from fighting John Wayne out on the open plains, long braids and all!! Oh well, at least I get my CDIB card which comes with lots of freebies!!

Still no luck. I am going to try some more tonight. My mother gave me a list of relative's names and birthdates......still nothing. It is frustrating to say the least.

slorch
01-15-2006, 11:08 AM
My HR rep asked me why I chose "other" on my ethnicity on my paperwork for the company
I told her I was adopted, and that I would like to put Texan for it since I don't know my true lineage, but it wasn't listed.
I asked her if she could prove that I was not "other" and she just laughed.

It's important to remember your heritage.

I wish the folks would be more focused on being American than what hyphenation they are using.

wide-e-wide
01-15-2006, 02:22 PM
My HR rep asked me why I chose "other" on my ethnicity on my paperwork for the company
I told her I was adopted, and that I would like to put Texan for it since I don't know my true lineage, but it wasn't listed.

I wish the folks would be more focused on being American than what hyphenation they are using.

Outstanding slorch...You know you might turn out to be a pretty good guy...................as long as we stay away from the Longhorns talk.

DiamondJ2
01-15-2006, 07:21 PM
amen, slorch.

CyFallsMom
01-16-2006, 05:38 AM

I agree - they need to put at least "American" as a choice. That's what we are. Texan is even better - my family was here when it was a country so I am as Texan as they get. However, being American does not usually mean being a full blooded American unless you are full blooded native American. That's why I am so proud to have at least a portion of native American blood (albeit a very small portion). I am also proud to be English, Irish and German too though. My ancestors fought to make this a free country, though, and I love being American, Texan and southern...even if I did marry a New Yorker:) . He's so funny though...he makes fun of the Confederacy (which my ancestors fought for) and I have to remind him that, while my ancestors were fighting the horrible war, his were over in Italy stomping grapes or something and to just stay out of that whole argument:D