PDA

View Full Version : I am not appreciative

farmerfan
12-27-2005, 04:43 AM
Here's the deal, I know Farmer has been some what of a ***** lately, however today I received the worst treatment I have ever received. Here is what happend, I will let yall fill me in on the way I retailiated was right.

I'm at this bar in Denton, a bar that I'm known at, in fact during Sox games I get free shots every time Boston knocks a dinger out of the park. Well I go to close out a tab, it is $92.50. I leave a $20.50 tip which amounts to $113.00, I know yall can add manth, however I was insulted when this WOMEN of a bartender goes, I need to capatilize on this cause her response what CRAP. "THNKS FOR THE CRAPPY 20 DOLLAR TIP". So as I am leaving this bar I stick a extra quarter in the tip jar and go, I'm sorry bit*h here is another quarter. Well next thing I know, I have 3 clowns attempting to walk me out of the bar, well as we are walking out of the bar, I see this bit*h and I confront her of what she said. She denies it, well what she doesn't realize is that there are about 15 people that were present when this happend, so they stick up for me. After this all gets resolved with the bar, I find myself banned from ever going back there cause I spent $92.50 and only left a $20.50 tip. Someone tell me if I was out of line, I want the honest truth on this, I will respect any answer, I just think what I did was more than generious but I got treated as if it was unacceptable. Thanks for the input that is received.

KatyTigerDad0407
12-27-2005, 05:11 AM
Honestly, If going to that bar is important to you; then I would certainly let the owner know of the incident. And if you have witnesses, I would document the details in a letter to the owner using times and names.

If going to that bar is not important, I would still send the letter. It will give you a little peace that you took some kind of action for the wrong you felt you suffered.

If you get no satisfaction in your efforts then go down to the nearest homeless shelter and tell those people about the kind of problems life is dealing you. Leave them a $20 tip for their advice, go home, turn off the lights, get down on your knees, and thank God for all your blessings. I'm sure the resentment will be gone after that.

lonny23
12-27-2005, 05:15 AM
Here's the deal, I know Farmer has been some what of a ***** lately, however today I received the worst treatment I have ever received. Here is what happend, I will let yall fill me in on the way I retailiated was right.

I'm at this bar in Denton, a bar that I'm known at, in fact during Sox games I get free shots every time Boston knocks a dinger out of the park. Well I go to close out a tab, it is $92.50. I leave a $20.50 tip which amounts to $113.00, I know yall can add manth, however I was insulted when this WOMEN of a bartender goes, I need to capatilize on this cause her response what CRAP. "THNKS FOR THE CRAPPY 20 DOLLAR TIP". So as I am leaving this bar I stick a extra quarter in the tip jar and go, I'm sorry bit*h here is another quarter. Well next thing I know, I have 3 clowns attempting to walk me out of the bar, well as we are walking out of the bar, I see this bit*h and I confront her of what she said. She denies it, well what she doesn't realize is that there are about 15 people that were present when this happend, so they stick up for me. After this all gets resolved with the bar, I find myself banned from ever going back there cause I spent $92.50 and only left a $20.50 tip. Someone tell me if I was out of line, I want the honest truth on this, I will respect any answer, I just think what I did was more than generious but I got treated as if it was unacceptable. Thanks for the input that is received.
Hey, man that's garbage. I believe in tipping for good service, but it's still a little odd that we give people extra money for doing their job. It further gets clouded by the fact that employers pay employees less money for their job because they expect the public to pay their salary. In restaurants, I've always wondered why the person who brings the food to the table gets all the tip money and some places really do it right and share the tips.

It's a terrible attitude that she showed and the events of the night will drive away a bunch of customers who witnessed that. I really wish they would've reprimanded her for her attitude. I bet her tips were crappy the rest of the night. You can go find another place where you're welcome. Hey, you've got Cliff Claven and Norm Peterson on the board here!:D

When it comes to tips, I say do your best and hope for tips, but you have to maintain a good attitude regardless of how much you get tipped.

Tut
12-27-2005, 06:45 AM
I would have left a penny instead of a quarter. 20% is a good tip. She shouldn't be complaining.

lonny23
12-27-2005, 06:53 AM
I would have left a penny instead of a quarter. 20% is a good tip. She shouldn't be complaining.
I've always heard it's better to leave a small tip than none at all. That way they know you're upset.

dragons08
12-27-2005, 11:04 AM
arnet you supposed to tip like 15percent? that looks more thant 15

Redneckn
12-27-2005, 11:15 AM
I would suggest acts of violence against the bar that banned you... But, I can't do that... So I wont suggest it...

That really sounds like a lot of crap. I hate it when people in bars start thinking they are somebody because they operate a bar. I used to drink at this little dive in Shreveport and we had the problem with the staff there thinking they were somebody. ALL of us that drank there decided one nite that we wouldnt go there anymore. We all took over another little bar about 4 blocks down. The little dive closed about a month later.

bubbacoach
12-28-2005, 07:26 AM
Man I used to be a bartender/bouncer. What a great job. If you would have left a 20 tip for me or any of the bartenders I worked with we would have been appreciative. I did this job to put myself through college and had a blast. The stories I could tell. When a fight broke out it was up to the bartenders to break it up. The Doormen would stay at the doors, the waitresses would stand at the end aof the bar and make sure no one got into anything behind the bar and we would go have some fun. And as a bartender you remembered the people who would tip and those that didn't, and there were things you could do to those that did not tip and things you could do to hook up the one's that did. She was wrong.:p

wide-e-wide
12-28-2005, 10:47 AM
The moral to this story is.....

Any bar that you frequently spend over a 100 dollars at a time at....and still wants to ban you...probably isn't the best place in the world to begin with. Why the hell would they ban a guy that drops 100 dollars at a time at their bar? That's just not good business sense. You ban the guy that drinks 3 happy hour beers and cusses everybody out...not the guy that is making you rich.

I never,ever,ever tip. It drives my wife crazy. But my philosphy has always been the same. When people start coming on my job....and paying me extra money to do what I'm supposed to do......then I will start tipping. Until then...your boss is in charge of paying you...not me.

lonny23
12-28-2005, 11:04 AM

Any bar that you frequently spend over a 100 dollars at a time at....and still wants to ban you...probably isn't the best place in the world to begin with. Why the hell would they ban a guy that drops 100 dollars at a time at their bar? That's just not good business sense. You ban the guy that drinks 3 happy hour beers and cusses everybody out...not the guy that is making you rich.

I never,ever,ever tip. It drives my wife crazy. But my philosphy has always been the same. When people start coming on my job....and paying me extra money to do what I'm supposed to do......then I will start tipping. Until then...your boss is in charge of paying you...not me.
I tip as a courtesy, but I agree 100% with your stance.

PantherFan70
12-28-2005, 11:17 AM

At a Hotel like mine your non-tipping policy will get you all of the following:

1. A horrible breakfast/lunch/dinner
2. Lost on your way to breakfast/lunch/dinner
3. Wake up calls at 2,3,4 am.
4. Wreckless driving in the car you valet
5. A "Surprise" left in the car when it is brought up
6. Urine on the car
7. Things might dissappear from your car
8. Never recieve immediate attention.
9. Everyone will suddenly dissappear when you get out of the elevator
10. Cab prices "Misqouted"
and my favorite

11. Tying your little kids shoe strings into tiny little knots that take way too much effort to get undone.

Not saying I have ever done any of these, but have seen them done, and heard the stories. I've even seen bellman have a guests keys demagnetized so that they would have to keep coming down to the front desk to get new ones! I highly suggest if anyone stays at a Full service hotel to tip because the guys on that front drive, and bell staff make below minimum. Now if it was bad service, then you have an argument.

Tut
12-28-2005, 11:34 AM
I've always heard it's better to leave a small tip than none at all. That way they know you're upset.
I tip based on how good the service is. (Generally 15 to 20 %) If it is very poor, I give @ 10% and a penny. As an ex bartender/waiter/busboy, I don't want to stiff them (expect worse service next time). The penny is an insult and should make them think.

PantherFan70
12-28-2005, 11:55 AM
I tip based on how good the service is. (Generally 15 to 20 %) If it is very poor, I give @ 10% and a penny. As an ex bartender/waiter/busboy, I don't want to stiff them (expect worse service next time). The penny is an insult and should make them think.

I agree with this method

wide-e-wide
12-28-2005, 12:28 PM

6. Urine on the car
and my favorite

11. Tying your little kids shoe strings into tiny little knots that take way too much effort to get undone.

Not saying I have ever done any of these, but have seen them done, and heard the stories. I've even seen bellman have a guests keys demagnetized so that they would have to keep coming down to the front desk to get new ones! I highly suggest if anyone stays at a Full service hotel to tip because the guys on that front drive, and bell staff make below minimum. Now if it was bad service, then you have an argument.

If any of that stuff happened to me...the responsible party would get the following:

1. A trip to the dentist

2. A trip to the dentist

3. A trip to the dentist

and my favorite...

4. A trip to the dentist.

Dude...somebody pisses in my ride...It's gonna get real ugly.

PantherFan70
12-28-2005, 12:37 PM
If any of that stuff happened to me...the responsible party would get the following:

1. A trip to the dentist

2. A trip to the dentist

3. A trip to the dentist

and my favorite...

4. A trip to the dentist.

Dude...somebody pisses in my ride...It's gonna get real ugly.

Problem is there isn't really a way to pin it on one person. And most of the time it isn't noticed until they are off of our property which at that time the disclaimer on the back of the valet ticket comes into play. This doesn't happen often, just to the guys that don't get the small hints, like when the valet/bellmen "drop" their money in front of you, Say: "Antything else I can do Free Sir/Maam?". and so on. Only the deserving ones get good stuff.

stevefoxsc
12-28-2005, 01:49 PM
i know if any one tried any of that crap, youd get an old fashion 1 inch punch bruce lee style with a side order of WAATAAHH...

How may i kick your Arse today?

AZTiger
12-28-2005, 02:16 PM
Wow....farmer that's a strange story. I felt bad a couple weeks ago at this swank bar in Scottsdale because I had a 99.50 tab and left a total of 125. my service was great but i was 3 sheets to the wind and just made it a nice number, probably shoulda left 130. the bartender when she took it was very appreciative, smiled and told me thank you. i'm sure she's got better tips before, especially considering it's scottsdale, but i was very polite with her all night and she had my drinks ready when i walked up to the crowded bar. probably why i felt i shorted her a bit.

i've seen my uncle leave plenty of penny tips, when the actually amount was at least a 10 buck tip or more. he doesn't give a damn. if you give him good service, he'll reward you with 30%, but F it up, and you're goin home with a copper coin in your pocket.

Tut
12-28-2005, 02:54 PM

Reminds me of Clyde and police cars in Every Which Way But Loose.:D

Favpack
12-28-2005, 03:14 PM
Coming from someone with limited $92 bar bills experience - I'm wondering if this was a cash transaction? Maybe she saw the 50 cents, but missed the $20? I'm assuming that's not very likely - but it just seems bizarre to me that someone would complain about a 21% tip. Maybe she's a Meth mama.

farmerfan
12-28-2005, 06:46 PM
Coming from someone with limited $92 bar bills experience - I'm wondering if this was a cash transaction? Maybe she saw the 50 cents, but missed the $20? I'm assuming that's not very likely - but it just seems bizarre to me that someone would complain about a 21% tip. Maybe she's a Meth mama.

It was cash I was paying with. She might not have realized I reached into my pocket to grab the extra 12.50 to tip her, maybe she just thought I took the 7.50 and that was all I tipped her. I did not make the situation better when I went back up to her and gave her another quarter as I called her a name. It was then that the situation got worse. I forgot my credit card up there, I alway pay cash for a tab, but for some reason this bar wants the credit card the whole time, its understandable. Well after I say this, I am getting followed out by 3 clowns who start getting all over me for the way I talked ot his women. After I told them to step outside they said your problem is not with us its with the girl, at that point she comes out to where we are having words and says my name, you need your credit card? I told her I had it and she said nope, and threw it out into the street. It was then that not only myself got pissed but the people who had witnessed this as well. To me it was the ultimate form of disrespect.
I have written a letter to the manager as well as called up there he sounded upset but not much, just seems odd, maybe they get sick of baseball fans.

AZTiger
12-28-2005, 07:37 PM
oh HELL no...she just tossed your card into the street? if she's not fired she's sleeping with the manager or owner. that's seriously wrong.

farmerfan
12-28-2005, 08:08 PM
oh HELL no...she just tossed your card into the street? if she's not fired she's sleeping with the manager or owner. that's seriously wrong.

yeah, thats when two of my friends had already left and the other who was with me held me back. I would never touch a girl in a harmful way, however that was about to force me to go in and rip into her like no other. Some guy who was watchying this whole thing handed me my card from the street and got in a few words, it was a messed up situation and all could have been avoided had I not said anything. I just felt disrespected when my tip wasnt good enough for her. You know if I get banned from a place I want it to mean something not for just saying a few words.
Some of my friends are going back in there for me tonight and tommorow to see if she is working, if she is then they are going to raise some hell.

lonny23
12-29-2005, 12:00 AM

6. Urine on the car
and my favorite

Remind me to never stay at your hotel. THAT'S PURE GARBAGE. Pieces of crap that do that don't deserve to have a job. Your hotel should be paying their salary, not the general public. Tipping is a courtesy, not a requirement. You don't do a good job and then get mad because you don't feel like you were properly rewarded.

lonny23
12-29-2005, 12:03 AM
Problem is there isn't really a way to pin it on one person. And most of the time it isn't noticed until they are off of our property which at that time the disclaimer on the back of the valet ticket comes into play. This doesn't happen often, just to the guys that don't get the small hints, like when the valet/bellmen "drop" their money in front of you, Say: "Antything else I can do Free Sir/Maam?". and so on. Only the deserving ones get good stuff.
No, you're wrong. They don't DESERVE to have that stuff happen to them because they don't tip.

AZTiger
12-29-2005, 12:05 AM
i tip...all the time, but people need to remember it's not a right, its EARNED

lonny23
12-29-2005, 12:08 AM
i tip...all the time, but people need to remember it's not a right, its EARNED
I was upset over what happened to Farmer. I'M MAD AT WHAT PANTHERFAN SAID!:mad:

PantherFan70
12-29-2005, 06:57 AM
Remind me to never stay at your hotel. THAT'S PURE GARBAGE. Pieces of crap that do that don't deserve to have a job. Your hotel should be paying their salary, not the general public. Tipping is a courtesy, not a requirement. You don't do a good job and then get mad because you don't feel like you were properly rewarded.

Ok, I never said people did this if they did a bad job. And if you are staying at a 5 star hotel you should know that valet/luggage attendants are on a tipped income. And you are right the hotel should pay our salary, but then you wouldn't have the great service, because we aren't busting our a$$ off to get our pay. And besides the hotel I work at has the 3rd highest guest satisfaction ranking in North America.

PantherFan70
12-29-2005, 07:01 AM
I was upset over what happened to Farmer. I'M MAD AT WHAT PANTHERFAN SAID!:mad:

You can be mad lonny, but it happens. If anybody has ever worked in the service industry they know what I'm talking about. AZ I agree tipping is earned, and thats why tipped income employees aren't paid a salary by their company because then they wouldn't EARN their salary and the service of the restraunt/bar/hote/whatever would go down. Not in all cases, but many.

PantherFan70
12-29-2005, 07:12 AM

the majority of the guys that have done this are FIRED. I think their are only 3 luggage/valet people still at the hotel, since I started working there 3 years ago.

lonny23
12-29-2005, 07:46 AM
the majority of the guys that have done this are FIRED. I think their are only 3 luggage/valet people still at the hotel, since I started working there 3 years ago.
OK, that's cool then.

lonny23
12-29-2005, 07:48 AM
You can be mad lonny, but it happens. If anybody has ever worked in the service industry they know what I'm talking about. AZ I agree tipping is earned, and thats why tipped income employees aren't paid a salary by their company because then they wouldn't EARN their salary and the service of the restraunt/bar/hote/whatever would go down. Not in all cases, but many.
I think they should work for tips and have a sufficient salary. Their low salary forces the rest of us to pay because we they know they won't get it from the boss.

lonny23
12-29-2005, 07:53 AM
Ok, I never said people did this if they did a bad job. And if you are staying at a 5 star hotel you should know that valet/luggage attendants are on a tipped income. And you are right the hotel should pay our salary, but then you wouldn't have the great service, because we aren't busting our a$$ off to get our pay. And besides the hotel I work at has the 3rd highest guest satisfaction ranking in North America.
I do agree that the high-class hotels are full of workers who get paid tips.

Where do you work, anyway? How much do your rooms run a night during the week and on weekends? I'm asking because I have to come down to SA a lot when I'm in Texas.

PantherFan70
12-29-2005, 07:54 AM
I think they should work for tips and have a sufficient salary. Their low salary forces the rest of us to pay because we they know they won't get it from the boss.

Maybe I should have you light a fire under our owners A@$$ to get those guys a higher pay wage! At least minimum! If anybody can get somebody to do something, It's probably a good bet to hire lonny! :D I remember when I worked on the front drive, and I brought that topic up at every monthly meeting for two years! Got the same result...."We'll check into it". they start those guys off at $3.00/hr + Tips, so its no wonder people always felt like our hands were out! As for farmer's situation that sucks! I would have been more than appreciative for a $20 tip! Heck $1 would have been fine with me, at least it was a $1 more than I had when I went to work that day.

PantherFan70
12-29-2005, 07:56 AM
I do agree that the high-class hotels are full of workers who get paid tips.

Where do you work, anyway? How much do your rooms run a night during the week and on weekends? I'm asking because I have to come down to SA a lot when I'm in Texas.

Our govt. rate is $111 (on availability). I could hook you up with a better rate (also upon availability). PM me and I'll give you my info. Since I am the reservations coordinator. Regular price for our standard rooms run anywhere from $279/night on up to our presidential at $2500/night

okt0ber
11-29-2006, 10:22 AM
I got banned from a bar in SA because my minor friend picked up my drink from the table and took a sip, while I had my back turned. WTF was I supposed to do? It's not my fault. But whatever.

lonny23
11-29-2006, 08:18 PM
I got banned from a bar in SA because my minor friend picked up my drink from the table and took a sip, while I had my back turned. WTF was I supposed to do? It's not my fault. But whatever.
What did you do to him for taking your drink?

okt0ber
11-29-2006, 09:43 PM
What did you do to him for taking your drink?

Took it back away! next thing I know my ID is being asked for and I'm being escorted out. Of course I didn't fight it because I was pretty trashed by that point, and we just walked back to the Hotel Valencia where I had a room for the night and raided the small liquor fridge in the room with my friends.

tayb
11-29-2006, 09:51 PM
Bud you tipped about 22% which is well above what the reccommended 15% is. If that bartender don't like it she can just not get a tip at all, a tip is generosity not included into the bill. I would contact the owner with a written complaint but you probably won't be welcomed back there by the staff anyways...

okt0ber
11-29-2006, 10:00 PM
Come party in New Braunfels. The Oyster Bar downtown is owned by my boss. Good times.

slorch
11-29-2006, 10:01 PM
take your business elsewhere... or put the b's face on thye curb and stomp on it ala edward Norton. Ask her if $20 will fix that.
actually $15 was more than enough and definately more than she deserved.
You need a casino my friend.:p Hot waitresses, TVs everywhere, and good cheap drinks. JMHO... but I know it's better than the scenario you described.

farmerfan
11-29-2006, 10:02 PM
Bud you tipped about 22% which is well above what the reccommended 15% is. If that bartender don't like it she can just not get a tip at all, a tip is generosity not included into the bill. I would contact the owner with a written complaint but you probably won't be welcomed back there by the staff anyways...

I cant believe this thread got pulled back up. Everytime I walk by that bar I just smile at it. None of my buddies will go back in there either. We have founda much better bar where we are welcome and prices are much cheaper. Im still pissed though that they threw my credit card onto Hickory Street.

okt0ber
11-29-2006, 10:04 PM
take your business elsewhere... or put the b's face on thye curb and stomp on it ala edward Norton. Ask her if $20 will fix that.
actually $15 was more than enough and definately more than she deserved.
You need a casino my friend.:p Hot waitresses, TVs everywhere, and good cheap drinks. JMHO... but I know it's better than the scenario you described.

Not in Vegas, heh. I ordered drinks all night long and rarely actually got them.

slorch
11-30-2006, 05:13 AM
Not in Vegas, heh. I ordered drinks all night long and rarely actually got them.
you gotta actually be gambling to get drinks. They don't serve vagrants or broke gamblers...:D Just kidding man!

dragonsdaddy
11-30-2006, 08:26 AM
i know it's a long drive, but i'm yet to see such behavior here at friendly mel's. no, you did right, and yes, there is more to this than meets the eye. the bar owner won't miss you today, but over time, treatment to a good patron will effect his business as the other patrons will see themselves as the next victim, and begin their exodus.

slorch
11-30-2006, 08:31 AM
as competitive as their business is, it's hard to believe the owner would support behavior like that. i will go to a restaurant/ bar where maybe the food is 7 out of 10, but the service is awesome. I honestly feel great when someone busts their tail to earn my business. if they act like I am impeding their day, i help 'em out by not going there any more!

farmerfan
11-30-2006, 11:24 AM
as competitive as their business is, it's hard to believe the owner would support behavior like that. i will go to a restaurant/ bar where maybe the food is 7 out of 10, but the service is awesome. I honestly feel great when someone busts their tail to earn my business. if they act like I am impeding their day, i help 'em out by not going there any more!

Part of the problem at the bar I witnessed this at was they viewed me and my buddies as just "poor college kids" most likely. We have seen that in places we go to before where due to our youth we wont get the same type oftreatment that the older crowd might. That would be understandable in most cities however, Denton is a college town and these bars should cater to us as much as any. O well, I have moved on and spend my money more wisely at places where it is wanted and appreciated.

trbandchic
11-30-2006, 12:12 PM
Part of the problem at the bar I witnessed this at was they viewed me and my buddies as just "poor college kids" most likely. We have seen that in places we go to before where due to our youth we wont get the same type oftreatment that the older crowd might. That would be understandable in most cities however, Denton is a college town and these bars should cater to us as much as any. O well, I have moved on and spend my money more wisely at places where it is wanted and appreciated.
I know how that goes. I eat out with my friends at nice restaurants all the time and I always feel like we get mediocre service. I have worked at IHOP so I know how important tips are. I always seem to get better service when I go out to places with my parents. Oh well if they don't want my tips...I'll gladly keep them :)

okt0ber
11-30-2006, 12:41 PM
you gotta actually be gambling to get drinks. They don't serve vagrants or broke gamblers...:D Just kidding man!

Man, I gambled all night long! I was in the WYNN of all places to not get served!!

Went to Cesar's Palace, won $60 bucks on the Price is Right penny slot. That's the best return on an investment I've ever had.

ThEgReAtOnE
11-30-2006, 01:43 PM

Pretty crappy, bro. To hell with them. Skip down to Deep Ellum. I haven't seen that places in years, but I would assumed it's expanded. (Hopefully, for the best.)

Also, does Denton (UNT Campus) still have that club/bar - I think it's called - Rick's? There was another one.....Groovey Mule? (Always thought the name was weird.) Anyhow, there was 1 more called "John John's", but I think it burnt down. Anyhow, when I came up to see some friends, we'd go to a few of those clubs/bars....if not to Desoto or downtown Dallas.

LUFPAN
11-30-2006, 01:58 PM
Customary gratuity is 15%, you left 21.62%...your definitley in the right on this one. Find a bar where the bartender will be happy with a $20 tip.