PDA

View Full Version : Would you play again if given the chance?

oldtig
04-24-2009, 07:38 PM
check out the link-
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/04/24/gridiron.grudgematch/index.html

Who, if anyone, would NOT play...

TigerAlum02
04-24-2009, 10:57 PM
:Censor: yes I would play again! That is a great story, too. I really hope that I can get a copy of the game tape after it is played. Maybe they will show the game on ESPN 8 The Ocho. I am actually hoping to get one more shot in the pads myself... I applied to grad school in London, and they have a club league in the UK that plays full contact for a full season including playoffs and a championship. If I get accepted to school, I am definately planning on heading out there and showing the british how Texans play the game! :D

mojotrain
04-24-2009, 11:19 PM
Yes!

KattTx
04-24-2009, 11:55 PM
Yes!

Break out the leather hats. ;)

mojotrain
04-25-2009, 12:12 AM

I was thinking more along the lines of my piccolo.

KattTx
04-25-2009, 12:14 AM
I wouldn't pay to see that.

Can't wait til Friday - I am gonna be able to make every single practice this spring!

TxDrake
04-25-2009, 12:21 AM
Wasn't this a movie from the 80's with Robin Williams?

ALLENFANDINGO5
04-25-2009, 12:31 AM
I must stipulate that I would play again if it was 40 and older with no one who could run a sub 6.0 40. Or if I could be all-time QB then I would want some receivers with a little speed but not too much. Id hate to send them on a go route and come up 10 yards short.:D

E-Vol-ution
04-25-2009, 01:05 AM
I wouldn't play on a near regular basis.........my initial thought is the boredom of actually competing against anyone near my age group (52).
Next off......I really need to have contact football (the only way it really ends up) done with at this stage in my life. Beautiful thought though.................................:notworthy

roadrunner22
04-25-2009, 07:42 AM
The thought/dream of playing again is great... but that is exactly where it needs to stay. I have embarassed #22 enough in his lifetime. If Train and Katt saw me play, they would never again ask me where #22 got his athletic ability. Train would say it must of been the milkman! Train and Katt... see yall at practice on Friday!

aclb
04-25-2009, 07:58 AM
If I was the on the Phillipsburgh team, I would not want to play. They were heavy underdogs and they got the tie.

But, the game should be pretty good. If the players are in the early 30's, they should be able to play pretty well. I wonder if they'll run the spread or the old school pro style offense.

85Roughneck
04-25-2009, 08:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXCbAtkgNMw

of course I wold play again ... ;) hell yea!

As a matter of fact I'll be 42 in September and I can still suit it up I bet. Only weigh about 20 pounds more than 23 years ago. Problem is ... my knees would explode and I would run 7 yards and pass out !!! LOL!

but yes ... I would love to play again. Maybe my two year old would let me line up up him and throw a few forearms shivers on him, but only after he does up/downs for 5 minutes straight beforehand ... ;-)

DrEdward
04-25-2009, 08:46 AM
Getting into a three-point stance is not a problem - getting out of one is. :rolleyes:

KattTx
04-25-2009, 09:44 AM
The thought/dream of playing again is great... but that is exactly where it needs to stay. I have embarassed #22 enough in his lifetime. If Train and Katt saw me play, they would never again ask me where #22 got his athletic ability. Train would say it must of been the milkman! Train and Katt... see yall at practice on Friday!

I already decided he got it from Mom. :p

Maroondog
04-25-2009, 01:15 PM
The mind says yes, but the body is too old and brittle. :)

rocketgrl94
04-25-2009, 01:32 PM
The mind says yes, but the body is too old and brittle. :)

Frankly my ol' dear i dont give a damn!!:D;)

Maroondog
04-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Frankly my ol' dear i dont give a damn!!:D;)

Me neither. :p

Redhoss
04-25-2009, 03:14 PM

Better make it two. :D

If it's an old timer's game and you can find me some wide receivers who can still motor and catch. I know I can get it to 'em. :)

TigerHat
04-25-2009, 03:54 PM
Here is my situation at age 61: all my years of continuing martial arts have given me great (for my age) athletic ability; I can run faster and jump higher today than when I was a high school footballer.

The throws I take in Aikido and Judo mean I could take getting cut in a football game - but.... while my muscles remain athletic my cartilage, ligaments, tendons, and disks are those of an old man. In other words I have so much athletic ability I can easily injure myself without anyone else having to do anything to me; I have to be careful to be smooth in my actions instead of explosive.

Could I play - yes but not for very long before I got injured. The real issue with old age is how much longer it takes to recover from an injury when one does occur.

"Would you play again if given the chance?"

I taught some students today in Aikido how to deliver a 'de-cleater'; I might play one play just to see the look of surprise on the face of somebody bigger, younger, faster, and stronger, when I demonstrate that technique to him.

So the answer is - maybe - maybe - for just one play.

E-Vol-ution
04-25-2009, 04:35 PM
I've got to come again on this......my knee was throbbing this morning even before working out in the weight room, cutting the lawn and shooting some hoops with my 14 yr old..........NO WAY would I play again if given the chance unless it was at a cookout.......what in the heck was the guy who made this thread thinking, starting us old farts into dreaming some crazy stuff like this. I hate you!;)...but I was envisioning some strange stuff....lol

33Blood
04-25-2009, 04:35 PM
Give me back my wheels and sure. But just getting around is painful enough these days.

mojotrain
04-25-2009, 05:06 PM
Better make it two. :D

If it's an old timer's game and you can find me some wide receivers who can still motor and catch. I know I can get it to 'em. :)

Randy Ferguson?

stevefoxsc
04-25-2009, 05:56 PM
**** yeah in a heart beat.

Plano West Wolf
04-25-2009, 06:38 PM
Yes. Unfortunately, I had my football career cut short due to knee problems (played freshman football and half a year of sophomore football), but it was amazing. I love football and wish things had turned out different.

I would have loved nothing more than the opportunity to suit up for the Wolves. :)

oldtig
04-25-2009, 06:43 PM
I've heard much about hesitation to play due to risk of injury. Hypothetical, what if it was played like an all-star game with rules such as no rush on special teams, quick whistle, etc.? Would that entice more people... I'm in a mood for a reunion game!

85Roughneck
04-25-2009, 09:34 PM
Here is my situation at age 61: all my years of continuing martial arts have given me great (for my age) athletic ability; I can run faster and jump higher today than when I was a high school footballer.

The throws I take in Aikido and Judo mean I could take getting cut in a football game - but.... while my muscles remain athletic my cartilage, ligaments, tendons, and disks are those of an old man. In other words I have so much athletic ability I can easily injure myself without anyone else having to do anything to me; I have to be careful to be smooth in my actions instead of explosive.

Could I play - yes but not for very long before I got injured. The real issue with old age is how much longer it takes to recover from an injury when one does occur.

"Would you play again if given the chance?"

I taught some students today in Aikido how to deliver a 'de-cleater'; I might play one play just to see the look of surprise on the face of somebody bigger, younger, faster, and stronger, when I demonstrate that technique to him.

So the answer is - maybe - maybe - for just one play.

My friend, it was good to see you again at the ring ceremony. and yes, even though you hide it well I bet you can still suit it up. You and that strong grip in your hand shake gives you away. ;)

Were you and I to be on opposing teams in any football game today I would pray that I don't receive your "de-cleater" :eek:. I may be looking for a pine box soon after. ;):D

Bass
04-26-2009, 01:46 AM
http://www.hulu.com/watch/61248/king-of-the-hill-bwah-my-nose

We should form 5A Forum Flag Football region leagues. Form two teams in each region, and when the real high school teams play big games in or out of their region, the 5FFF league teams from those regions can meet up and play a flag game. All eight teams make the playoffs, then have a region championship game in each region sometime between bi-district and the real region championships, the rep from each region goes to the semi final, and then the top two teams play at the state games.

This could be a bad-a way of meeting posters from around the state.

Just going off the top of my head the west side of Region 3 would be freaking stacked:

KT2000
Champ
Chill
Dada
Roughneck
Dynasty
Chunky
Forward Pass

allendad
04-26-2009, 10:14 AM
Getting into a three-point stance is not a problem - getting out of one is. :rolleyes:

I died rolling !
You expressed it soooo well.:notworthy:notworthy

I think I would probably get in e three-pointer
and just teeter forward(in slow motion) and fall flat on my face . . . .
screaming the whole time, but not able to do anything
about it.:eek:

cougmantx
04-26-2009, 11:40 AM
I wouldn't play on a near regular basis.........my initial thought is the boredom of actually competing against anyone near my age group (52).
Next off......I really need to have contact football (the only way it really ends up) done with at this stage in my life. Beautiful thought though.................................:notworthy

Yeah it is...my first reaction was hell yeah...then my knees squeaked and my hip hurt, and I remembered how I felt as a teenager and mutilplied that by a couple thousand and said, hell no. I'll set in the bleachers and yell for kids that are much better then I ever hoped to be...thank you. :notworthy

kbarj
04-26-2009, 01:59 PM
At 32, I would have played in a heartbeat. I was in good shape, lifting, running, playing in a variety of rec leagues, and still recovering from the aches and pains pretty quickly. Now, at 53, no way....I'd be good for 2 or 3 plays and then be hurting for the next decade.

Somewhere along the way, I reached the point where the difference between being warmed up and worn out became a very fine line.

E-Vol-ution
04-26-2009, 04:27 PM
Last time I acted on an impulsive thought like this question, I became a father again. :notworthy

Bass
04-26-2009, 04:29 PM
I'm telling you guys, my idea would be great.

AE 8008
04-26-2009, 06:29 PM
I'm telling you guys, my idea would be great.

i could in the summer, but not any other time until i graduate. maybe a game or two over christmas break

roadrunner22
04-26-2009, 08:17 PM
At 32, I would have played in a heartbeat. I was in good shape, lifting, running, playing in a variety of rec leagues, and still recovering from the aches and pains pretty quickly. Now, at 53, no way....I'd be good for 2 or 3 plays and then be hurting for the next decade.

Somewhere along the way, I reached the point where the difference between being warmed up and worn out became a very fine line.
This... sadly.:(

ALLENFANDINGO5
04-27-2009, 03:40 AM
Allen's O line only uses 2 point so we could use you:notworthy

2smooth07
04-27-2009, 07:30 AM
Its Friday night in late October and we just got the pre-game speech and we get straped up to head to the field and you see the LIGHTS of the stadium and you feel that nervous energy all over...I would do it again no doubt...As a coach i still get kinda nervous but not like playing, Im just trying not to mess up the game plan by calling something stupid. Playing football beats any wild party night i ever had...oh yeah if i did play i would probably only go like 4 plays before needing an oxygen tank to breath.

E-Vol-ution
04-27-2009, 07:34 AM
Can I use "stick-um"?

RocklandDragon
04-27-2009, 11:46 PM
http://www.autumnspectacle.com/Movies/Best%20of%20Times.jpg

Dr. Death was awesome!

RocklandDragon
04-27-2009, 11:50 PM
Yeah...I would play. I only played football as a freshman and didn't play football the rest of my HS life. It is a regret. I didn't like that CA required two classes (we used a block schedule at LHS) and wanted to get a lot of my classes out of the way before Senior Year. Wrestling didn't require me to join CA, so that was cool.

I wish I could play High school football, now. It seems like I missed out on a lot of things. We won the Spurs my Senior year. Lubbock High was so close getting that last playoff spot (went to San Angelo Central). Yep...if we had a reunion game and they'd let me play, I would.

Maxthedog
04-28-2009, 01:52 PM

E, I am +1 your age. If we played now, the teams would have to have at least 200 of us to finish the game. Next week the 'unable to perform' list would be as thick as the yellow pages. Baseball brutha, think baseball:)

cougmantx
04-28-2009, 01:59 PM
E, I am +1 your age. If we played now, the teams would have to have at least 200 of us to finish the game. Next week the 'unable to perform' list would be as thick as the yellow pages. Baseball brutha, think baseball:)

I'm the same age. Ran the Austin 10K last month. The thought of putting on pads and hitting someone gets me at the beginning of every season. By the end of the season every bone in my body hurts from watching the kids take the hits...

Everytime I think of it, I think of one of you old 300 pound linemen hitting me and I think...no damn way.

E-Vol-ution
04-28-2009, 02:36 PM
LOL.....did it (softball) and won a championship in Grand Prairie. Is there a another league out there? I'm serious about this.....

Rapture
04-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Even though we won our 1993 match with john tyler 36--7, i would love to go and have anouther chance to play them again today. would make my life.

drizzydrake01
04-29-2009, 08:13 PM
i wish i could play again! even though i played some college ball.. high school football..GOD theres nothing like it..

Redhoss
04-30-2009, 05:59 PM
I died rolling !
You expressed it soooo well.:notworthy:notworthy

I think I would probably get in e three-pointer
and just teeter forward(in slow motion) and fall flat on my face . . . .
screaming the whole time, but not able to do anything
about it.:eek:

That's why I'm taking the snaps. I don't have to bend as far. :D

Redhoss
04-30-2009, 06:01 PM
Randy Ferguson?

Ugh, I'm foggy with a mental block. Help me out.

eagleswoop#1
05-01-2009, 09:43 AM
That's like asking a bird if he will fly today. Of course I'll play again.