PDA

View Full Version : Celina in 5A

Plano West Wolf
04-18-2009, 10:11 AM
I know the economy and house building has slowed in Collin County.

But one of these years, Celina will be 5A. It's pretty inevitable.

How do you think they will fare once they move up? Will they continue their dominant run?

grayowl60
04-18-2009, 10:30 AM
I know the economy and house building has slowed in Collin County.

But one of these years, Celina will be 5A. It's pretty inevitable.

How do you think they will fare once they move up? Will they continue their dominant run?
What if they feel the right thing for the students is to do like Frisco, and build schools fast enough to take care of growth and never have 5A schools.
seems like keeping them small is what is happening these days.

Maroondog
04-18-2009, 10:34 AM
If/when they move up, my opinion is that should they continue to get the coaching, participation, etc., (no reason to believe they wouldn't), they will become some serious butt rippers.

I would expect that if the program holds together, they would snag a couple of 4-A titles on their way up.

Plano West Wolf
04-18-2009, 11:05 AM
What if they feel the right thing for the students is to do like Frisco, and build schools fast enough to take care of growth and never have 5A schools.
seems like keeping them small is what is happening these days.
I don't think Celina will ever be as big as Frisco is now. 1 5A school with around 2,500 - 3,000 students is what they will probably max out as. This is all hypothetical, though.

Plano West Wolf
04-18-2009, 11:06 AM
If/when they move up, my opinion is that should they continue to get the coaching, participation, etc., (no reason to believe they wouldn't), they will become some serious butt rippers.

I would expect that if the program holds together, they would snag a couple of 4-A titles on their way up.

Agreed.

they still have a long way to go. I'm not sure on their enrollment, so it's hard to tell if they're a large 3A. But 4A isn't a cakewalk, so we'll see sometime within the next decade or two.

dragonsdaddy
04-18-2009, 11:15 AM
I don't think Celina will ever be as big as Frisco is now. 1 5A school with around 2,500 - 3,000 students is what they will probably max out as. This is all hypothetical, though.

i hope you are right, but the school district is about the same size as plano, so it certainly has room to get really big. they will do as well as the coaches they are able to retain/hire. with the history of fb success, they will be fine.

grayowl60
04-18-2009, 11:22 AM
Agreed.

they still have a long way to go. I'm not sure on their enrollment, so it's hard to tell if they're a large 3A. But 4A isn't a cakewalk, so we'll see sometime within the next decade or two.
Celina just moved up to 3A, and are one of the smallest schools in that class. with 470 students, Another 3A not to far away, Paris North Lamar has 958

Plano West Wolf
04-18-2009, 11:25 AM
Celina just moved up to 3A, and are one of the smallest schools in that class. with 470 students, Another 3A not to far away, Paris North Lamar has 958

Wow. So we've got a ways to go.

owlfan 1
04-18-2009, 12:03 PM
Wow. So we've got a ways to go.

Yeah - they are one of the smallest 3A schools in the state. It'll be awhile before they approach even 4A numbers - however, sooner or later that area will grow enough that they get to 5A. I firmly believe they will maintain their greatness, whatever level they are...

grayowl60
04-18-2009, 12:28 PM
Yeah - they are one of the smallest 3A schools in the state. It'll be awhile before they approach even 4A numbers - however, sooner or later that area will grow enough that they get to 5A. I firmly believe they will maintain their greatness, whatever level they are...
Is there an echo in here? :rolleyes:

33Blood
04-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Celina has benefited greatly from the trickle down effect of the bigger schools. If they are at the highest level with them, this will be greatly reduced. The history and tradition would keep them competitive but they would not be the force they are.

WOS87
04-18-2009, 02:06 PM
Celina Enrollments

1998 291
2000 300
2002 347
2004 379
2006 429
2008 479

dragonsdaddy
04-18-2009, 02:52 PM
Celina has benefited greatly from the trickle down effect of the bigger schools. If they are at the highest level with them, this will be greatly reduced. The history and tradition would keep them competitive but they would not be the force they are.
please elaborate on just exactly you mean by "trickle down". i can only think of 2 scenarios- recruiting/ suburban flight. or do the coaches steal ideas from the big, bad 4a and 5a schools?

33Blood
04-18-2009, 09:16 PM
suburban flight.

That's it right there. I don't call it recruiting since all the ones I have known did it on their own. They chose to move to Celina, Argyle and a few others on the outskirts so their kids could play at a smaller school. If Celina reaches the size of Allen or the Plano schools they will not be as luring to those parents.

ScottS
04-26-2009, 09:58 PM
Anyone on the board from Frisco or know of fans in Frisco? PM me if so.