PDA

View Full Version : What's Lake Travis looking like this year?

cajun
04-09-2009, 06:28 PM
I know Evangel Christian, La is playing Lake Travis again this year....Evangel may be pretty good this year...

Aggies2009
04-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Evangel is always pretty strong.

Last year, both of our (Longview) opponents canceled, so we threw a game together midweek. Longview won 52-22 (winning 38-0 at one point), but ECA was clearly not on their game. I think their QB had like -80 rushing yards. He'd take a snap and was on the run immediately just about every play.

Lake Travis lost a lot, but they are extremely well-coached, so I don't see HUGE dropoff. Dropoff is inevitable when you have athletes like they had last year. But I don't think it will be as big as most people think.

cajun
04-09-2009, 07:11 PM
Evangel is always pretty strong.

Last year, both of our (Longview) opponents canceled, so we threw a game together midweek. Longview won 52-22 (winning 38-0 at one point), but ECA was clearly not on their game. I think their QB had like -80 rushing yards. He'd take a snap and was on the run immediately just about every play.

Lake Travis lost a lot, but they are extremely well-coached, so I don't see HUGE dropoff. Dropoff is inevitable when you have athletes like they had last year. But I don't think it will be as big as most people think.

Longview was just too strong, not sure it would have mattered if Evangel had more time to prepare..

Evangel's defense will probably be pretty good this year...They got a couple monsters...One kid that just committed to A&M and another Jermauria Rasco who people are thinking will be a 5-star in the 2011 class...

Not sure how good Evangel's offense will be though-they lost quite a few skill people (QB included)

Good match-up though...

Jermauria Rasco DE
http://pelicanpreps.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=79670&sport=1

Aggies2009
04-09-2009, 07:40 PM
It's funny. About 85% of our coaching staff are from Louisiana, so they always schedule teams over there (not only because they have good contacts with most staffs, but they like to get revenge on the Evangels, the John Curtis's, the West Monroes, etc. who "recruit" or whatnot). And we have always had success (Neville twice, West Monroe once, Evangel x4, John Curtis, Ouachita once recently). Not sure why that is; most of those teams are STRONG Louisiana teams and could play with anyone in the nation.

cajun
04-09-2009, 08:00 PM
It's funny. About 85% of our coaching staff are from Louisiana, so they always schedule teams over there (not only because they have good contacts with most staffs, but they like to get revenge on the Evangels, the John Curtis's, the West Monroes, etc. who "recruit" or whatnot). And we have always had success (Neville twice, West Monroe once, Evangel x4, John Curtis, Ouachita once recently). Not sure why that is; most of those teams are STRONG Louisiana teams and could play with anyone in the nation.

Longview has had a good run here lately-no doubt about that...I believe someone posted the history on the main board and Longview was up 18-17 vs Louisiana lifetime...

Longview will be playing Natchitoches Central, La this year..That won't be pretty...NC probably won 5 or 6 games over here in the 6 or 7 years..

0-10 last year and gave up 40 plus a game...

Neville will be playing Marshall, TX this year again...That's a nice series...

Aggies2009
04-11-2009, 01:43 AM
Longview has had a good run here lately-no doubt about that...I believe someone posted the history on the main board and Longview was up 18-17 vs Louisiana lifetime...

Longview will be playing Natchitoches Central, La this year..That won't be pretty...NC probably won 5 or 6 games over here in the 6 or 7 years..

Aye. Marshall had an AWESOME series against Ouachita through the late 80s, 90s, and early 00s. There were maybe 2 or 3 games that were more than 7 point differences. They also had a nice series with Neville in the early 90s. I remember seeing one of their highlight tapes, and Neville win 22-17 in the last minute... I think it was in 89, their quarterfinal year. And then in 1990, the year Marshall won state, Neville won again 21-14. When Longview had a series with Neville in 03 and 04, I was only on the 04 team and had to go there to play Neville. Their stadium is VERY intimidating, and they've got an incredible atmosphere. Their student section was right behind where we warmed up, they have signs of their many state championships and runner ups, and it's tough. We barely won 14-7 in the last 2 minutes. Tough tough game. They barely lost to Curtis in the semis, and I wouldn't have wanted to have played them 6 weeks later when they had more than a jamboree under their belt.

I ALMOST went with a friend to the 07 Marshall-Neville game (Longview played Curtis the next day, so I was in Longview and had the Friday off to go see any game I wanted). I wish I had, it was a good one. Then this past year Neville whipped them pretty good.

33Blood
04-11-2009, 10:39 AM
Travis is the team I am most curious to see how they adapt. I thought last year they were the overall best team in the state. Gilbert was a huge part of that and replacing him will be tough.

cajun
04-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Aye. Marshall had an AWESOME series against Ouachita through the late 80s, 90s, and early 00s. There were maybe 2 or 3 games that were more than 7 point differences. They also had a nice series with Neville in the early 90s. I remember seeing one of their highlight tapes, and Neville win 22-17 in the last minute... I think it was in 89, their quarterfinal year. And then in 1990, the year Marshall won state, Neville won again 21-14. When Longview had a series with Neville in 03 and 04, I was only on the 04 team and had to go there to play Neville. Their stadium is VERY intimidating, and they've got an incredible atmosphere. Their student section was right behind where we warmed up, they have signs of their many state championships and runner ups, and it's tough. We barely won 14-7 in the last 2 minutes. Tough tough game. They barely lost to Curtis in the semis, and I wouldn't have wanted to have played them 6 weeks later when they had more than a jamboree under their belt.

I ALMOST went with a friend to the 07 Marshall-Neville game (Longview played Curtis the next day, so I was in Longview and had the Friday off to go see any game I wanted). I wish I had, it was a good one. Then this past year Neville whipped them pretty good.

Been some classics played between all those schools, that's for sure...

Ruston dropped down to 4A this year over here...You will have Bastrop, Neville and Ruston in that 4A District-3...That's pretty tough there...

Neville will play West Monroe this year...They play them the week before the Marshall, TX game...

I just hope Longview shows Natchitoches Central, LA some mercy-that's not a very solid program...:cool:

cajun
04-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Gilbert was a huge part of that and replacing him will be tough.

Gilbert was pretty dang good!...I don't think you can really replace that kind of "talent" every year...

dragonsdaddy
04-11-2009, 02:38 PM
I know Evangel Christian, La is playing Lake Travis again this year....Evangel may be pretty good this year...

it is 17 feet low and all but the few ramps by the dam are closed. it is basically unuseable. we need a tropical storm or 2 before summer.

cajun
04-11-2009, 02:45 PM
it is 17 feet low and all but the few ramps by the dam are closed. it is basically unuseable. we need a tropical storm or 2 before summer.

That's pretty good!

Must be the reason Evangel has to travel there for the 2nd year in a roll...;)

Hitman49
04-11-2009, 05:09 PM
I could see ECA beating Lake Travis this year. Lake Travis lost too much talent.

Hitman49
04-14-2009, 02:47 AM

I just looked at every game that Longview has played since 1970 and during that time they are 16-8 against Louisiana or 15-8 for the most part they played some of the better schools in LA

LoboFan07
04-14-2009, 01:21 PM
I just hope Longview shows Natchitoches Central, LA some mercy-that's not a very solid program...:cool:

King is a classy guy. He won't run the score up if he has a say in it. Longview easily could've scored 80-90 points on Jacksonville last season if they wanted it. (61-14 still, but Longview also got stopped on the 1 yard line 4 straight plays, twice in the 2nd half)

Lake Travis will reload I'm sure. Who's their quarterback going to be this upcoming season?

Txmusic
04-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Mike Brewer a JR will be the QB #16 who play wide receiver and came in the 3rd quarter after the first team played the 1st set of downs if we were winning, his dad played QB at Texas in the 80s and his grandfather played also at UT so it was a good time for them to see him score during the playoffs vs Killeen.
He is faster than Gilbert and can throw the ball also, The 1st time I saw him play during a scrimmage against the 1st team his 1st 3 passes 3 times over 40 yds 3 TDs his 1st passes, Gilbert was coming off a shoulder injury and only threw 1 15 yd pass so Brewer led the team ,now he will be throwing to Gilberts little brother who played last yr as a freshman during the playoffs and he is 6"5 and can run.
The boys are big and we have some all staters coming back, the 9th grade team was very good I do not think they have lost a game and will fill in for the ones we lost and we have 3 9th grade teams
We are ready for this coming yr my son is in 8th grade and Payden Kelly #70 are friends and his playing style has rub off on my son mean and nasty and the coaches have been busing the 8 graders over to the HS for months to work out after school in the weight room and do drills and watch film with the other players until at least 5 pm and they love it....
I can't wait for the season to start...Good Luck to all and I hope everyone has a safe game..Thanks
http://www.ltcavalierfootball.com/id6.html

Txmusic
04-30-2009, 11:14 AM
It looks like we will not be playing Evangel Christian this yr, we will be playing a new HS outside San Antone Boerne
I also have to say that we had a huge parent meeting last night with the coaches and I was more impressed with what they said about this yr and yrs to follow not only on the playing field but after in class, what they do to help you during the season but when the season is over getting you prepare for what the student wants to do after HS and it starts early in the students life. We are a high profile school now and that is because of the hard work these kids do in all sports and colleges come to visit and visit often, not everyone is going to play at Texas but if you want to go to TX ( not playing)just to get in you have to kept your grades up as you all know. You need to be in the top 25% to even get looked at from any college so kids kept your grades up I wish I had.
We had 252 kids come out to play football 9-12 and have 48 wins between the teams last yr and the number will be growing, kids and winning and with them working out , my kid has added 50 lbs more to the weight bench in a short time and that is what is happening across the board.
Thanks again

Txmusic
05-29-2009, 11:27 AM
this past weekend in the RR Westwood 7on7 State Qualifier. The Cavs put on an impressive performance going 5-0 and winning the tournament. With that win, the Cavs have secured a spot in the July State 7on7 Tournament at College Station. Congrats and Thank You to our Coaches: Gale Gilbert, David Lagasse and Robert Brewer.

these coaches are players dads or ringers as some might say..LT has the wide outs just like the last few yrs these guys can catch the ball, Gilbert at times had 21 passes in a row ,if anyone saw any games the last few yrs they do not drop the ball and with them growing up together the timing is down and with there size they will be hard to cover...

Ron Burgundy
06-03-2009, 10:24 PM
I've seen LT this spring and they look to be very good. Their defense is fast, feisty and HUGE! I'm sure they'll be much better than last year. That big weightroom is really paying off. The OL looks tough and a little bigger than last year. The skill kids are talented and the experience of the OL and what looks to be a nasty D will give the new QB and his playmakers even more time to develop. They're going to be a handful for anyone this season.

clemensbuff
06-04-2009, 09:07 AM
I've seen LT this spring and they look to be very good. Their defense is fast, feisty and HUGE! I'm sure they'll be much better than last year. That big weightroom is really paying off. The OL looks tough and a little bigger than last year. The skill kids are talented and the experience of the OL and what looks to be a nasty D will give the new QB and his playmakers even more time to develop. They're going to be a handful for anyone this season.

Nice..........

Looking forward to hopefully another 2nd round matchup against Steele! :D

Hopefully this time we'll have the starting running back healthy for it and can make it a little more interesting.

Txmusic
06-04-2009, 11:14 AM
Yea the spring game Brewer look like he did everything right a 50 yr TD pass to start the game and a 70 yd TD run against the 2nd team now when playing against the 1st team things even out and the receivers caught everything throw to them and they are big 6'5' plus with speed and playing time, you really have a few #4s Cade McCrary from last yrs leading receiver and walk on at TX someone Gilbert will be throwing to him when the time comes and #5 Walla who as a JR on the 07 state champs was one of the leading receivers who decided to play baseball instead his Sr yr and got a ride to UT playing for Augie and with OL bringing back 3 that I think only gave up 2-3 sacks last yr with over 500 passes.So the players are here and this is a deep team with LT being rank in Baseball, basketball and football across some polls all last yr it is just the matter of getting everyone time on the field.
Now the D really is good as some from last yr found out, they do not give up when blocked something you don't see they will still run you down after being blocked 2-3 times in one play only to catch a back cutting back across the field.....I have watch some highlight film and this is what you see if the QB starts running around the back field because of the pressure from the line he gets stacked by some one who just miss him and came back to get him from behind they just kept coming ...

Ron Burgundy
06-04-2009, 08:36 PM
Here is what the LT paper had to say about the Spring game.

http://www.laketravisview.com/2009/06/02/football-jamboree-gives-a-glimpse-of-the-future/#more-1432

Txmusic
06-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Here is some video of #11 Griffin Gilbert (SO) 6'5' ( Garrett little Bro) and maybe the back up QB for Brewer-(SO)Colin Lagasse #8 this combo will be lighting up the scoreboard down the road. LT has the tools for another championship and these guys played during the playoffs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r6GMnHhhfE&feature=fvw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLDJuj8A1rc&feature=related

The King
06-15-2009, 03:20 PM

It was still a little low when I went memorial day. I think they are about to start calling it the Colorado River.

Mr Evangel
06-21-2009, 08:04 PM
LT has a very solid program, we were naturally disappointed when they decided to cancel the game. We were looking forward to coming back to Austin. They paid the fee to cancel the game as they had this other game lined up. Now we are looking for a game three and this late of date going to be hard to find. Good Luck to the Cavs this year and maybe later on we can pick up the series again.

Lobo90
06-22-2009, 09:35 AM
We are ready for this coming yr my son is in 8th grade and Payden Kelly #70 are friends and his playing style has rub off on my son mean and nasty and the coaches have been busing the 8 graders over to the HS for months to work out after school in the weight room and do drills and watch film with the other players until at least 5 pm and they love it....:rolleyes::eek:

That doesn't sound very legal to me. I was under the impression that 8th graders could only workout after school during a season and the workouts had to be for the sport that they were inseason for. I could be wrong though.

Txmusic
06-22-2009, 12:06 PM
That doesn't sound very legal to me

I really think if it were illegal some thing would have been said a long time ago, the workouts are volunteered & over before school lets out for summer. I think it is to the credit to the kids who want to work out and take the time to do it and with the HS players & coaches there just makes the teams gel. Since 2 8th grade teams who used to play each other are now one and Coach Morris pulled both teams together right after there last game against each other and told them that. Now they are doing the 2 hr summer workouts 8-10am or 10am-noon ( CAVS course) 3 days a week for the summer a conditioning program for all sports boys & girls which the parents pay for and a huge turnout and you can see the results every week...
Also there are 2 more camps that included some VG QBs the site forgot Tulanes former QB who played in Texas City under Morris...this class was small last yr maybe 50 turned out not this yr huge turnout so they added more coaches and former players I do not know how many future QBs were there but LT will and is loaded also with wide outs and I heard some kids from Westlake and other schools were there and I did see some new faces..

http://www.hillcountrypassingacademy.com/Home_Page.html
**50 minutes a day during the athletic period is not a commitment**
Does LV have summer camps? what kind ect Thanks

Lobo90
06-23-2009, 09:50 AM
From the UIL Jr. High Manual: Page 9

From the first day of school, schools have 80 consecutive calendar days to practice outside the school day; 63 of the calendar days may be used to complete scrimmages and games.

Off season workouts. Accelerated physical education activities, calisthenics, individual football skills, strength training or conditioning exercises may be conducted during the school term WITHIN THE SCHOOL DAY Activities before or after school, or during the lunch period are specifically PROHIBITED.

I would say that from what you have said that Lake Travis for several months bused there 8th graders to the High School until 5 p.m. to watch film and lift weights and do drills with the older kids that is in direct violation of the UIL rules listed above. These violations need to be reported to the UIL.

Matthew 2000 Eagle
06-23-2009, 11:10 AM
Whoa!:eek:

Txmusic
06-23-2009, 12:11 PM
Well go right ahead and give them a call, I feel if the coaches are doing it then they know the rules and have been coaching far longer than you or I and I think plenty of coaches read this forum and others and you are the only one complaining. What I wrote and how it is read could be different than the rules in the UIL but give them a call to clear the air. But I have faith that Coach Morris knows the rules and having the players committed only builds the program, where some schools do not have the committed players.

Now LT fans has not said any thing about last yr rules being broke by LV and the UIL did there thing with LV so why bring it up right!
It looks like LV does not have any camps for there players since no one posted anything or do they. Your turn.......

Txmusic
06-23-2009, 12:28 PM
Also I forgot to add that before the last class which is P.E the players are bused over to the weight room during class if they want to work out if not they stay in class at the middle school ...this I do believe is within the rules...but call them

Lobo90
06-23-2009, 12:38 PM
Longview does have football camps. We also have varsity coaches that come to our campus and workout our 8th graders during the athletic period. I was stating an obvious rules violation. Longview also self reported itself for playing a player for one play that was a senior that repeated his freshman year, and just started playing football. I understand commitment and so do our kids. Our coaches also make every attempt to follow the rules. Maybe your coaches do not know this rule or maybe they are trying to get a head start because the uil probably would do nothing to them for working out 8th graders. I wouldn't report anything to the uil, but it might be something that you as a concerned parent might mention to one of your coaches. Rules are there for everyone to follow, not trying to take a shot at Lake Travis. I hope to see ya'll again in December.

Lobo90
06-23-2009, 12:39 PM
After school till 5'oclock right:rolleyes:

Txmusic
06-23-2009, 01:33 PM
Quote Lobo09....These violations need to be reported to the UIL

I am all for rules but I do believe every thing is being followed and if not than the UIL will bring it up or someone on one of the boards will and we will go from there....this was posted 2 months ago..not my call.....but I am not losing sleep over it do give them a call....

Looking forward to the 1st game of the season....