PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or does the most individual talent reside in 4A?

Aggies2009
04-09-2009, 01:37 PM
As a Longview fan, we had our first year in 4A this year, and it was a good one. Our only losses came to Allen in game 1 and Lake Travis in game 16. These two teams ended the year ranked #2 and #3 in the nation (although LT should have been #2 in my opinion). We start this year ranked #1 and Allen is #1 in 5A, so that will be an awesome matchup in my opinion.

One thing I noticed about most of our better opponents is how they have one or two amazing players and are okay elsewhere. Sulphur Springs had Tyrik Rolison and maybe one other that was really above and beyond. Waco Midway had Hubbert, LT had Garrett Gilbert (although they had MANY others as well). And I got to thinking in the past. Ryan Mallett of Texas High. Matt Stafford of Highland Park. Jevon Sneed of Stephenville. It was strange because Longview usually has an entire squad that's pretty strong, but no players who are BIG 1-A standouts (other than Malcolm Kelly and Fred Talley in the 90s). Most of the teams we played had a big standout or two, but hardly anyone else.

85Roughneck
04-09-2009, 11:23 PM
it's just you ...:)

... but seriously, there isusally talent all across the classifications. I'm sure it rotates and the numbers move around from year top year, but that is stating the obvious. However, I would not agree that 4A has a monopoly on talent year in year out.

33Blood
04-10-2009, 12:19 AM
There is roughly about 250 each of 5A and 4A schools. 5A sends about 200 players a year to Division I schools and 4A about 100. So by the numbers 5A has more talent and more kids. On the field can be a different story though since many of the 4A teams can compete with the 5A schools and some have gone up and down with each realignment.

Firebird
04-10-2009, 08:12 AM
4A has some great talent. The best of 4A would easily be all-state in 5A for the most part. It's the depth of quality teams that is the issue at that level. The top flite 4As would do just fine at the 5A level. We've argued over this before, but I believe that Lake Travis could have won the 5A state championship last year, and probably would have in DII.

Aggies2009
04-10-2009, 03:51 PM
There is roughly about 250 each of 5A and 4A schools. 5A sends about 200 players a year to Division I schools and 4A about 100. So by the numbers 5A has more talent and more kids. On the field can be a different story though since many of the 4A teams can compete with the 5A schools and some have gone up and down with each realignment.

I guess I worded my thread title poorly. But yeah, 4A schools send about 100, so it's very unlikely that more than one will be in any school. The point I was trying to make was that 4A teams usually have one VERY good player while 5A teams are usually very strong across the board.

33Blood
04-10-2009, 04:14 PM
The point I was trying to make was that 4A teams usually have one VERY good player while 5A teams are usually very strong across the board.

You mention Midway having Hubert. We played Midway and I remember them also having Trey Graham and Ahmad Dixon. Dixon was the best athlete on that team. So that is 3 right there, I miss your point?

Matthew 2000 Eagle
04-10-2009, 05:33 PM
There are a good number of folks who think that the state's best wide reciever plays 4A ball. (Darius White)

Aggies2009
04-10-2009, 10:47 PM
You mention Midway having Hubert. We played Midway and I remember them also having Trey Graham and Ahmad Dixon. Dixon was the best athlete on that team. So that is 3 right there, I miss your point?

Obviously. :rolleyes:

one or two amazing players and are okay elsewhere.