PDA

View Full Version : Texas Top FIVE Teams

Drake
12-17-2005, 08:42 PM
Thankfully Texas state HS football championships are decided on the field in a playoff format. But, after all you've seen, if you had to rank the Top 5 teams (all classes can be included) in the state, who would they be? Mine are:

1. Southlake Carroll (1)
2. Plano
3. Euless Trinity
4. Highland Park
5. Katy

JustForTheLove
12-17-2005, 08:51 PM
South Lake Carroll
Highland Park
Euless Trinity
Lufkin
Cove

ftballin11
12-17-2005, 09:06 PM
South Lake Carroll
Highland Park
Euless Trinity
Lufkin
Cove

Don't agree with Cove.

CoveFan05
12-17-2005, 09:07 PM
Thankfully Texas state HS football championships are decided on the field in a playoff format. But, after all you've seen, if you had to rank the Top 5 teams (all classes can be included) in the state, who would they be? Mine are:

1. Southlake Carroll (1)
2. Plano
3. Euless Trinity
4. Highland Park
5. Katy

How can you rank Plano that high??? Mine goes

1. SLC
2. Highland Park
3. Lufkin
4. Katy
5. Marshall

CoveFan05
12-17-2005, 09:07 PM
Don't agree with Cove.

Ya I am a Cove fan bigtime....They are top 20 material for the entire state, not top 5

JustForTheLove
12-17-2005, 09:11 PM
Ya'll might be right but I think Top10 for Cove

ftballin11
12-17-2005, 09:14 PM
Cove can qualify for top 10 in my book.
Top 5... No specific order
Lufkin
Highland
ET
SLC
Katy

How could you take any of those teams off of the top 5?

CCDawgs05
12-17-2005, 09:27 PM
1. SLC
2. HP
3. Katy
4. Euless
5. Lufkin

WildcatFan
12-17-2005, 09:30 PM

1. SLC
2. Highland Park
3. Lufkin
4. Katy
5. Marshall

The reason is that due to Katy's performance today the State Championship was effectivly played Dec. 3rd Plano vs. SLC.

Wake up and smell the coffee, Plano would have snuffed Lufkin and Katy both.

ftballin11
12-17-2005, 09:36 PM
You're comparing the score of one game to the score of another game... That is like saying Cy Creek should have beat Katy by alot since Cy Creek beat Cy Falls which almost beat Katy.

Saying Plano would have "snuffed" Katy and Lufkin is rediculous when you compare scores. If I didn't know anything at all... I would take a wild guess and say that is a COMPLETE homer pick on Plano's part.

CoveFan05
12-17-2005, 11:04 PM
The reason is that due to Katy's performance today the State Championship was effectivly played Dec. 3rd Plano vs. SLC.

So your telling me Plano would have rolled over Lufkin? No Way....Katy killed themselves today...If the offense played the entire game and not have 4 turnovers they win the game...Just because yall played a good game against SLC doesnt mean Yall are second best to SLC. I can name a bunch of teams that could beat yall on any given day....Lufkin, SLC(happened), Katy, SV, Garland, CYFALLS, ET, Judson....

CoveFan05
12-17-2005, 11:06 PM
You're comparing the score of one game to the score of another game... That is like saying Cy Creek should have beat Katy by alot since Cy Creek beat Cy Falls which almost beat Katy.

Saying Plano would have "snuffed" Katy and Lufkin is rediculous when you compare scores. If I didn't know anything at all... I would take a wild guess and say that is a COMPLETE homer pick on Plano's part.

Ya I can back this up too...Lufkin beat HH by 7 we beat em by 15, we beat KF by 50, Lufkin like 15 or something and Lufkin beat us by 10...One team matched up against another team doesnt mean u can beat every team in the state just because you played SLC good

drgnbkr
12-17-2005, 11:10 PM
So your telling me Plano would have rolled over Lufkin? No Way....Katy killed themselves today...If the offense played the entire game and not have 4 turnovers they win the game...Just because yall played a good game against SLC doesnt mean Yall are second best to SLC. I can name a bunch of teams that could beat yall on any given day....Lufkin, SLC(happened), Katy, SV, Garland, CYFALLS, ET, Judson....

What are you smokin? Carroll's D had nothing to do with it? C'mon....

PESHfan
12-17-2005, 11:14 PM

1. SLC
2. Highland Park
3. Lufkin
4. Katy
5. Marshall

Maybe because Plano had an undefeated season until they met and nearly beat SLC two weeks ago.
:rolleyes:

Bootsdaddy
12-17-2005, 11:22 PM

1. SLC
2. Highland Park
3. Lufkin
4. Katy
5. Marshall

Marshall? The Mavericks had a great season but they would have lost to ET, Plano, Longview (they did), Westfield, Northshore, Cy Falls, Cove.

Did HP play any 5A teams? Historically, the top 4A teams can hang with a Top 25 5A team but not necessarily beat them.

KatyTigerDad0407
12-17-2005, 11:25 PM
I am really not too good on all classifications so I will just do 5a:

1)SLC
2)Trinity
3)Plano
4)Katy
5)Judson
6)Lufkin
7)Westfield
8)Northshore
9)CyFalls
10)SV

My reasoning:

1 & 2--both are state champs.
3------I just feel that Plano is Better than Katy
4 & 5--both made it to the championship game
6------QB-broke his arm-could have possibly upset Carroll
7 & 8--they have to be in the top 10, no question
9------because R3 needs 4 teams in the top 10
10-----because 265a deserves to have 2 teams in top 10

pack0808
12-17-2005, 11:40 PM
I am really not too good on all classifications so I will just do 5a:

1)SLC
2)Trinity
3)Plano
4)Katy
5)Judson
6)Lufkin
7)Westfield
8)Northshore
9)CyFalls
10)SV

My reasoning:

1 & 2--both are state champs.
3------I just feel that Plano is Better than Katy
4 & 5--both made it to the championship game
6------QB-broke his arm-could have possibly upset Carroll
7 & 8--they have to be in the top 10, no question
9------because R3 needs 4 teams in the top 10
10-----because 265a deserves to have 2 teams in top 10

A team with 4 or 5 losses is better then Lufkin?? wow is all i can say. :rolleyes: I am not even going to bother with my opinion on this gay homer subject that nobody will ever really know. All i know is Lufkin has lost only 2 games in 2 years to the #1 team in the state and probably nation. That is the only fact's i know.

dragonbuck
12-17-2005, 11:41 PM
Give yourself some credit Katy. You all are better than Plano. Mc was off all day with Plano even when he wasn't rushed. He underthrew a few wide open receivers that day on plays they were rushing only 4. Plan o played great and caught MC on an off day. He threw 3 picks of which 2 were bad throws and 1 was a great play. Mc was on today.

KT played hard all game and moved the ball in the 2nd half. Plano onlyhad 5 first downs in the 2nd half vs. SLC. Plano is maybe top 5, but would lose to KT. This is my not so humble opinion.

lufkin_82
12-17-2005, 11:43 PM

i believe thats our cue to laugh. the state championship was played to day, lufkin would have beaten plano (claybon or thomas as qb, preferrably claybon) in a close game. katy... i really dont know about

pack0808
12-17-2005, 11:45 PM
Who cares it is all homer speculation on who is 2nd best. I think we all know who was the #1 team in the state without question and that is all that matters.

dragonbuck
12-17-2005, 11:47 PM
A healthy Lufkin beats Plano. Katy/Kufkin would be a great game. Probably 5-5 if they played 10.

pack4life

They had a ton to do with it. Katy had several drives inside the redzone but turned the ball over. Dalton made some key mistakes (Throwing into double, then triple coverage), that cost his team points. I think he is pointing out Katy shot themselves in the foot today.

Tex
1.SLC
2.HP
3. ET
4.Katy/Plano
5. Judson

SLCDad
12-17-2005, 11:52 PM
....Katy killed themselves today...If the offense played the entire game and not have 4 turnovers they win the game...This post makes me chuckle a bit. Clearly the best team won today. Most of those 4 TOs were forced by the SLC defense. I'd also give credit to the Katy defense for the 3 SLC fumbles lost.

Pancake
12-18-2005, 12:17 AM
Wow... REGION 26-5A not very representative in these polls:D

Plano Wildcat Fan
12-18-2005, 12:45 AM

Yes I agree, Plano would of beat Lufkin and Katy. Katy did not impress at all. It looks like to me the Houston Area teams were down this year compared to their Dallas counterparts.

I believe the top three teams in 5A came from DFW. Carrol, Trininty and Plano.

Plano Wildcat Fan
12-18-2005, 12:48 AM
i believe thats our cue to laugh. the state championship was played to day, lufkin would have beaten plano (claybon or thomas as qb, preferrably claybon) in a close game. katy... i really dont know about

You have to get off the meth. Lufkin was smoked by SLC and you were down by 3 touchdowns heading into the 4th quarter.

All I know was Plano was winning vs SLC going into the 4th and had the ball with 5 minutes to play down by 3.

Seems to me you not only know nothing about Katy you know nothing about Plano as well.

Jtate862003
12-18-2005, 12:58 AM
I think all of you just need to stop speculating and stop trying to put someone who beat someone who couldve beat that team if the wind wouldnt have blown 2 mph....Just let it be we'll never know all we know is Slc and ET are the 2 #1 5a teams in the state...

Dds115
12-18-2005, 12:58 AM
1. SLC
2. Katy
3. ET
3.1 Plano
5. Lufkin

I think Plano was a great team, but not as good as Katy. I would think if played 10 games against Katy, Plano would win 4.

pack0808
12-18-2005, 01:05 AM
You have to get off the meth. Lufkin was smoked by SLC and you were down by 3 touchdowns heading into the 4th quarter.

All I know was Plano was winning vs SLC going into the 4th and had the ball with 5 minutes to play down by 3.

Seems to me you not only know nothing about Katy you know nothing about Plano as well.

Are you seriously that desperate for some recent powerhouse attention since it has escaped the school of Plano for at least double digit years that you would bust out a meth comment? Lufkin did their best in a crazy situation without their star qb and one of their best wr's at qb against the best team in the land. They have lost 2 games in 2 years only to SLC. Lufkin gave up about 420 total yards while Plano gave up over 600 correct? Lufkin had over 330 total yards offense with subs in very important positions. Yes Lufkin lost by 8 more points so i guess that means they would have no shot vs Plano?? :rolleyes: SLC would have won either way because they are the best and there is no telling what would have happened if a healthy Lufkin team met Plano. Seems like most the dragon fan's agree that they would like Lufkin's chances. Either way it is all would of could of should of pointless stuff but i had to respond to this one. Who cares either way?? SLC is the best in the state Period!!

TrojanHorse03
12-18-2005, 01:07 AM

Yeah, yeah we all know how Plano CHOKED and we don't wanna hear about it anymore!

dragons08
12-18-2005, 01:08 AM
greattttttt the "what if game"

pack0808
12-18-2005, 01:09 AM
I think all of you just need to stop speculating and stop trying to put someone who beat someone who couldve beat that team if the wind wouldnt have blown 2 mph....Just let it be we'll never know all we know is Slc and ET are the 2 #1 5a teams in the state...

I can agree with some of that but there is definitely just one #1 team and every sensible fan knows who that is. I will give Trinity the benefit of the doubt and say they are #2 even though i do not personally believe it. They won their championship so i will say they are #2. A far off #2. The champs are all that matter you are correct.

TrojanHorse03
12-18-2005, 01:10 AM
I can agree with some of that but there is definitely just one #1 team and every sensible fan knows who that is. I will give Trinity the benefit of the doubt and say they are #2 even though i do not personally believe it. They won their championship so i will say they are #2. A far off #2. The champs are all that matter you are correct.

I whole heartedly disagree with you, BUT I respect your opinion.

wide-e-wide
12-18-2005, 01:12 AM
Oh my Lord...
When do pitchers and catchers report?...this crap is going to get old in about 5 more minutes.
I almost forgot how much I hate off-season.

pack0808
12-18-2005, 01:30 AM
Oh my Lord...
When do pitchers and catchers report?...this crap is going to get old in about 5 more minutes.

True this stuff does get old. The fact is my team lost and the season is over. There was 2 champs and the rest went home. It is pointless trying to predict the rest of top 5 or so when they will not even play. I think we all can agree that after SLC and Trinity,yes i am giving Trinity the benefit of the doubt now so this will end!! that the rest of the best were (in no particular order) Lufkin, Plano, Katy, Judson, and SV. We all are going to think our team was the better of the rest so why bother? Does anybody else agree that they space out the bowl games way way way too far off from the regular season? No other sport can even come close to comparing to NCAA football in that aspect. Then again they do not even have playoffs so why should i be surprised?

lonny23
12-18-2005, 05:58 AM
Wow... REGION 26-5A not very representative in these polls:D
Some people have Judson in the 5 hole. SV makes the top 10, too!:D

lonny23
12-18-2005, 06:03 AM
True this stuff does get old. The fact is my team lost and the season is over. There was 2 champs and the rest went home. It is pointless trying to predict the rest of top 5 or so when they will not even play. I think we all can agree that after SLC and Trinity,yes i am giving Trinity the benefit of the doubt now so this will end!! that the rest of the best were (in no particular order) Lufkin, Plano, Katy, Judson, and SV. We all are going to think our team was the better of the rest so why bother? Does anybody else agree that they space out the bowl games way way way too far off from the regular season? No other sport can even come close to comparing to NCAA football in that aspect. Then again they do not even have playoffs so why should i be surprised?
I like the Bowl Games on different days. They start doing 2-3 a day after next week.

As far as the we're better discussion, that will last a while longer, because I'm throwing a 96-team bracket out there tomorrow so we can discuss who would've beaten who. That will get us through recruiting, realignment, and the Pro Bowl.

mad_fan
12-18-2005, 06:07 AM
1. Madison
2. Judson
3. SV
4. Reagan
5. Churchill

lonny23
12-18-2005, 06:39 AM
A healthy Lufkin beats Plano. Katy/Kufkin would be a great game. Probably 5-5 if they played 10.
Yeah, but how would they do against Lufkin?:p

lonny23
12-18-2005, 06:40 AM
1. Madison
2. Judson
3. SV
4. Reagan
5. Churchill
That's the best list so far!;)

farmerfan
12-18-2005, 07:05 AM
Oh my Lord...

Well its coming a lot quicker than we realize. Feb 16th is when they are allowed to report. Spring training games start on March 3rd.

COVE THUNDER
12-18-2005, 07:06 AM
Cove
SLC
Cove
Lufkin
Cove again..:D

hoo2ers
12-18-2005, 07:16 AM
1A. Trinity............They were 5A State Champ in week 15
1B. SLC................They were 5A State Champ in week 16
2. Permian.............Homer pick, plus been long time since I saw them ranked in ANY poll
3. Lufkin...............Great bar-b-que and great folks
4. Abilene Cooper...Cuzz JTK is a cool dude
5. Wide-e's pick.....Cuzz he thinks this is as pointless as I do.

PlanoNative
12-18-2005, 09:45 AM
1a. SLC - any doubts?
1b. Trinity - see #1.
doesn't matter. 2 best teams were obviously ET and the Dragons and WE DON'T GET TO SEE THEM PLAY. :mad:

And as a Plano homer, I have no idea who'd have won between Plano - Lufkin or Plano - Katy. I do not think they could beat ET. And furthermore you cannot compare scores. Plano was very focused & fired up for SLC.. but not so much in a close game against DeSoto.

PLANO WILDCATS 13-1

tailgater
12-18-2005, 10:05 AM

1. Southlake Carroll (1)
2. Plano
3. Euless Trinity
4. Highland Park
5. Katy

Drake - you are disrepecting Euless and their championship. They should be #2. Also you are disrepecting Katy. I don't think you put alot of thought into your list. It should be:

1. SLC
2. Euless Trinity
3. Katy
4. Converse Judson
5. (pick em).

You have to give the championship participants their due.

Drake
12-18-2005, 10:23 AM
Drake - you are disrepecting Euless and their championship. They should be #2. Also you are disrepecting Katy. I don't think you put alot of thought into your list.

You have to give the championship participants their due.It was just an opinon thing for fun. I prefaced my post with how lucky we are that we DON'T have to rely on polls to decide anything. But I was interested to see who everyone thought were the best teams in 2005 regardless of their classification, division, and region...

No need here, but I think I could make a case for Plano and from reading others' opinions, I'm not too out of the mainstream with Highland Park.

As far as disrespecting Katy and Trinity... I had them both in my top five! In fact, after yesterday Katy moved INTO my top five... There are a lot of GREAT programs in the state, so I don't see how that's any disrespect at all...

lonny23
12-18-2005, 11:02 AM
Drake - you are disrepecting Euless and their championship. They should be #2. Also you are disrepecting Katy. I don't think you put alot of thought into your list. It should be:

1. SLC
2. Euless Trinity
3. Katy
4. Converse Judson
5. (pick em).

You have to give the championship participants their due.
I can't really argue with your logic. Those were the only 4 teams that beat everybody in their region and then beat another region's best. It's real hard to say another team is better than a team that played for a title. I know it's true that better teams lose early, but you're hard-pressed to guarantee with your life that somebody who lost earlier in the playoffs is going to beat out a state finalist.

It's real easy for us to say so and so is better and you can still say it even if you lose, but NONE of us would place our lives, money, or family on a team beating another team in football at the highest level of Texas. The top teams in Texas have way too much parity and upsets can and do happen. That's how Longview got beat.

CoveFan05
12-18-2005, 11:20 AM

Ya the Carroll Defense played well but if you take away 2 of those interceptions that were made by the qb not the d, it woulda been a tighter game...

CoveFan05
12-18-2005, 11:21 AM
Maybe because Plano had an undefeated season until they met and nearly beat SLC two weeks ago.
:rolleyes:

Ok so maybe I should rank Cove number 3 because they went undefeated through 13 games, almost beat Lufkin who coulda beat SLC....No Im not gonna do that cuz there are better teams out there

CoveFan05
12-18-2005, 11:24 AM
This post makes me chuckle a bit. Clearly the best team won today. Most of those 4 TOs were forced by the SLC defense. I'd also give credit to the Katy defense for the 3 SLC fumbles lost.

I dont think most of them were forced. Dalton throws one into triple coverage and the other when his wideout ran the wrong route

dragonsdaddy
12-18-2005, 11:29 AM
I dont think most of them were forced. Dalton throws one into triple coverage and the other when his wideout ran the wrong route
never having looked a gift horse in the mouth, i tend to strongly disagree with your denigrating the slc defense in one of their finest moments. the defense stemmed the tide after the long ko return, and thanks to several episodes of over coaching by the kt staff(changing from power running which was very effective, to the spread once in the red zone) were able to throttle a prettypotent offense. they were the unsung heroes of this great season.

Tut
12-18-2005, 11:46 AM
1. Madison
2. Judson
3. SV
4. Reagan
5. Churchill

Methinks the lobotomy is in order.:eek:

CoveFan05
12-18-2005, 11:53 AM
never having looked a gift horse in the mouth, i tend to strongly disagree with your denigrating the slc defense in one of their finest moments. the defense stemmed the tide after the long ko return, and thanks to several episodes of over coaching by the kt staff(changing from power running which was very effective, to the spread once in the red zone) were able to throttle a prettypotent offense. they were the unsung heroes of this great season.

Im not puttin down the SLC defense, Im putting down the Katy offense...If they play better ball, its an even closer game

lonny23
12-18-2005, 11:56 AM
1. Madison
2. Judson
3. SV
4. Reagan
5. Churchill

Nah, Mad_fan is just going for the shock value. If he was as good as me, he could pull it off!:p

WildcatFan
12-18-2005, 12:03 PM
1. SLC
2. Katy
3. ET
3.1 Plano
5. Lufkin

I think Plano was a great team, but not as good as Katy. I would think if played 10 games against Katy, Plano would win 4.

Are you sure you were not sick that week against Plano. plano plyed 10 times better than Katy.

Ask your players who was the toughest team they faced all year ask Boydston I bet they will all tell you it was Plano.

dragonsdaddy
12-18-2005, 12:11 PM
Are you sure you were not sick that week against Plano. plano plyed 10 times better than Katy.

Ask your players who was the toughest team they faced all year ask Boydston I bet they will all tell you it was Plano.
plano was the best defense, but their weaker, one dimensional offense didn't match-up as well. i'd put kt, plano, and a healthy lp in their own pile and take whichever you want to elect as the 2nd best.

toonman
12-18-2005, 12:12 PM
Im not puttin down the SLC defense, Im putting down the Katy offense...If they play better ball, its an even closer game

If SLC plays better ball - it's a blow out. What's your point.

toonman
12-18-2005, 12:16 PM

That is the difference between the winning team and the losing team. The winning team makes the plays, the losing does not. Throwing into triple coverage is what losing teams do (makes mistakes); a wideout running the wrong route is a mistake. Mistakes are a result of the winning forcing the other team out of their comfort zone, into making the errors.

dragonsdaddy
12-18-2005, 12:20 PM
i saw a kt qb who wasn't used to having someone breathing down his neck so often. he looked much better the few times he was uncontested in the pocket. the pressure made him make a few bad decisions and the ball-hawking secondary made him pay.

Drake
12-18-2005, 12:25 PM
I'm betting SLC would say Katy was their toughest test because:

It looked to me like Katy could actually power run up the middle fairly consistently. Going into the game I didn't think Katy had a chance, but after seeing the game I think they did. The way the Katy offensive linemen were blocking on straight ahead runs made me think they could have shoved it down SLC's throat all game, or at least until SLC overloaded the box, which would have opened things up a bit more for Dalton.

On one crucial drive (when it was 17-10) they had the ball pretty deep in SLC territory and made 8 yards on two up the gut plays but decided to pass for it on 3rd and 2. I think one or two more tries up the middle there would have certainly gotten the first down and probably led to the tying TD. Hindsight is 20/20, but I thought the play selection at that point let SLC off the hook AND abated Katy's momentum... A touchdown there and a few less self-inflicted wounds and Katy is right there at the end...

However, just because Katy matched up the best against SLC, doesn't (necessarily) make them the 2nd best team in the state...

This thread wasn't started to prove anything, just to see what people's opinions were... You can certainly challenge someone's opinion, but you probably won't change their mind and you can't prove them wrong, so what's the point in doing so viciously?

My main reason for creating the thread was to see if others believed as I did that Highland Park was on a par with some of the other 5A elites... Seems like many believe they are...

rangerpride
12-18-2005, 12:41 PM
First off, I'm not saying SV is a "LOCK" for the Top 5 this past season, but anyone who puts Judson or Madison over SV is INSANE. SV won district 26-5A, in doing so they beat Judson AT Judson, before injuries nearly cost Judson a playoff spot.

Yeah, Judson made the D-I title game, but so would SV if they played the weaker D-I teams like Judson did. And SV DESTROYED Madison in the Regional Finals.

My Top 8:
1. SLC - no question here
2. Euless Trinity - top talent
3. Katy - tough D and huge O-line, balanced attack
4. Lufkin (before the QB injury)
5. SV (had chances to beat Katy)
6. Plano (beforementioned, 1-dimensional offense)
7. Highland Park
8. Judson (got healthy & got it going in P-offs)

Drake
12-18-2005, 01:05 PM
Many are omitting Westfield and North Shore... Westfield doesn't lose their QB in the 2nd quarter of their last playoff game, things could've turned out way different...

StarmanDX
12-18-2005, 02:31 PM
Anyone who thinks Trinity is 2nd best just because they won the Division 1 Bracket is a homer. That is like saying, for example, if in college football the Big East teams had a tournament and then the SEC had a tournament to see who was the best, and the Big East Champion was 2nd best because they won their bracket, even though the SEC has much better teams. Trinity defeated 0 State Top 25 teams in their playoff bracket, as teams like Plano, Carroll, Katy, Lufkin, and Cove defeated much stronger teams, along with SGP beating the Trojans also. I do not even think Trinity belongs in the Top 5. Ranking them as #2 just because they won Division 1 has nothing to do with it

1. SLC
2. Lufkin
3. Katy
4. Plano
5. Westfield
6. Copperas Cove
7. South Grand Prairie
8. Trinity
9. Smithson Valley
10. Longview

farmerfan
12-18-2005, 04:07 PM
Anyone who thinks Trinity is 2nd best just because they won the Division 1 Bracket is a homer. That is like saying, for example, if in college football the Big East teams had a tournament and then the SEC had a tournament to see who was the best, and the Big East Champion was 2nd best because they won their bracket, even though the SEC has much better teams. Trinity defeated 0 State Top 25 teams in their playoff bracket, as teams like Plano, Carroll, Katy, Lufkin, and Cove defeated much stronger teams, along with SGP beating the Trojans also. I do not even think Trinity belongs in the Top 5. Ranking them as #2 just because they won Division 1 has nothing to do with it

1. SLC
2. Lufkin
3. Katy
4. Plano
5. Westfield
6. Copperas Cove
7. South Grand Prairie
8. Trinity
9. Smithson Valley
10. Longview

Well by your logic you should have I-Mac ranked above SGP but I dont see them anywhere, at least their playoff loss came to the state champs.
Also how can you have the D1 state champs ranked lower than a team who got beat in the D1 semis?

RidgePride
12-18-2005, 07:08 PM

1. Southlake Carroll (1)
2. Plano
3. Euless Trinity
4. Highland Park
5. Katy

1. SLC
2. Plano
3. Katy
4. Lufkin
5. Trinity

dragonfan020405
12-18-2005, 07:13 PM
1. Southlake Carroll (1)
2. Plano
3. Highland Park
4. Katy
5. Euless Trinity

that is what i think And yes i post alot....I know ... i just love TX FOOTBALL

FeeltheHaka
12-18-2005, 10:07 PM
I don't agree with adding Highland Park to the list, because they are 4A. I would put them #1 on a 4A list.

I think Lufkin could beat Katy
Plano could beat Lufkin

My list:

1. SLC or Trinity
3. Plano
4. Lufkin
5. Converse or Katy

dragonfootballfan
12-18-2005, 10:09 PM
After talking to a few Dragon players about their playoff opponents, they ranked their last three playoff opponents in this order.

1. Plano
2. Lufkin
3. Katy

mad_fan
12-19-2005, 05:14 AM
1. Madison
2. Judson
3. SV
4. Reagan
5. Churchill

A 26-5 fan from Katy:D ...one lobotomy comin' up...:p

mad_fan
12-19-2005, 05:16 AM
Nah, Mad_fan is just going for the shock value. If he was as good as me, he could pull it off!:p

I posted that for the flatman...he seemed concerned that no 26-5 homeys were mentioned...

DragonBand06
12-19-2005, 07:04 AM
1. SLC - 4 times to state and 3 wins in 5 years, etc.
2. Katy - Consistently strong team, played us very well
3. Lufkin - Again, consistently a very strong team, IMO toughest challenge this year
4a. HP - Possibly the best HP team ever, Matt Stafford is a BEAST
4b. ET - Winners of Div. I Bracket - Easier in many people's eyes (Not their fault)
6. Plano - Very quick Bad-to-Good season turnaround, gave us a run for our money

First, this is not based on my opinion of other teams, etc. - this is how I think they would end up if you played these 6 teams in a playoff system (round robin). I am NOT trying to take away from anyone's team; this is my opinion on how they would finish up.

I think #4 could go either way with HP beating Trinity or vice-versa. It would be a good, close game IMO.

farmerfan
12-19-2005, 07:36 AM
3. Lufkin - Again, consistently a very strong team, IMO toughest challenge this year
4b. ET - Winners of Div. I Bracket - Easier in many people's eyes (Not their fault)
6. Plano - Very quick Bad-to-Good season turnaround, gave us a run for our money

First, this is not based on my opinion of other teams, etc. - this is how I think they would end up if you played these 6 teams in a playoff system (round robin). I am NOT trying to take away from anyone's team; this is my opinion on how they would finish up.

I think #4 could go either way with HP beating Trinity or vice-versa. It would be a good, close game IMO.

well we would need 8 to complete a playoff field so why not add SV and then I'll suggest a dark horse who many are not thinking about due to HP. I think this next team could beat HP and that is the Hebron Hawks. Some 5A fans will get to find out what these guys are all about. They are loaded.

PlanoNative
12-19-2005, 09:34 AM
Famerfan - is Hebron in the LISD? Are they jumping to 5A next year, and what district?

svcenter53
12-19-2005, 09:36 AM

1. Southlake Carroll (1)
2. Plano
3. Euless Trinity
4. Highland Park
5. Katy

Those are some good picksbut i dont agree with plano im going to have to say
1.Southlake Carroll
2.Euless Trinty
3.Highland Park
4.Katy
5.Smithson Valley(I had to)

dragonsdaddy
12-19-2005, 09:39 AM
Famerfan - is Hebron in the LISD? Are they jumping to 5A next year, and what district?
if you can tell me which district the rest of lisd teams will join, then i can tell you where hebron will be.

RidgePride
12-19-2005, 09:44 AM
I'm betting SLC would say Katy was their toughest test because:

It looked to me like Katy could actually power run up the middle fairly consistently. Going into the game I didn't think Katy had a chance, but after seeing the game I think they did. The way the Katy offensive linemen were blocking on straight ahead runs made me think they could have shoved it down SLC's throat all game, or at least until SLC overloaded the box, which would have opened things up a bit more for Dalton.

On one crucial drive (when it was 17-10) they had the ball pretty deep in SLC territory and made 8 yards on two up the gut plays but decided to pass for it on 3rd and 2. I think one or two more tries up the middle there would have certainly gotten the first down and probably led to the tying TD. Hindsight is 20/20, but I thought the play selection at that point let SLC off the hook AND abated Katy's momentum... A touchdown there and a few less self-inflicted wounds and Katy is right there at the end...

However, just because Katy matched up the best against SLC, doesn't (necessarily) make them the 2nd best team in the state...

This thread wasn't started to prove anything, just to see what people's opinions were... You can certainly challenge someone's opinion, but you probably won't change their mind and you can't prove them wrong, so what's the point in doing so viciously?

My main reason for creating the thread was to see if others believed as I did that Highland Park was on a par with some of the other 5A elites... Seems like many believe they are...

Actually Plano matched up better In My opinion.

Drake
12-19-2005, 09:49 AM
Actually Plano matched up better In My opinion.Well, according to some SLC fans in the know, the players agree with you.

dragonsdaddy
12-19-2005, 09:50 AM
Actually Plano matched up better In My opinion.
defensively, they played well. of course allowing 36 completions doesn't speak highly of the pass defense, but it was their decision to make us use short passes and hope for mistakes. didn't work, but was a very strong effort anyway.

implacable44
12-19-2005, 09:53 AM

Did I read this correctly ? Highland Park ranked about Trinity ? KAty and Lufkin ranked higher than Trinity ? oh wait -- posted by dragonBAND - I get it now.

gritty52
12-19-2005, 11:44 AM
I've asked this question numerous times and can someone please answer me ? What's with all the Trinity hatred on this site???? Did someone at Trinity do something to yaw? I mean we whipped alot of yaw on this site is that the reason? We win our first Championship and it's like something tainted to alot of you folks. Easy schedule,fat players,haka etc. We got the trophy that alot of yaw wanted. Can someone please answer this question???

travisk44
12-19-2005, 11:49 AM
1 - SLC
2 - HP
3 - ET
4 - Katy
5 - Judson
6 - Lufkin
7 - Plano
8 - Cy Falls
9 - SGP
10 - Longview
11 - South Garland
12 - Garland
13 - Berkner
14 - A&M C
15 - Cove

dragonfootballfan
12-19-2005, 11:50 AM
I've asked this question numerous times and can someone please answer me ? What's with all the Trinity hatred on this site???? Did someone at Trinity do something to yaw? I mean we whipped alot of yaw on this site is that the reason? We win our first Championship and it's like something tainted to alot of you folks. Easy schedule,fat players,haka etc. We got the trophy that alot of yaw wanted. Can someone please answer this question???
I am not a Trinity hater, but I know why everybody is saying that their title is tainted. They are saying that because they are jealous that the team that knocekd them out won, and they never got a shot at the team that won in the other bracket. They are asking themselves what if? They assume that their team would have beaten Trinity, but there is no way to prove that. The only team that I think has a legitimate beef is SGP, but they are not the ones talking. Trinity beat everybody in front of them and they do not need to do anything else to prove that they were the division 1 champion. There is no need to compare the brackets. The teams in Division 2 are not in the same league as Trinity. Knocking Trinity's championship is like a 5A team saying that they could beat the 3A champion. It does not matter because they are not in the same league.

KatyTigerDad0407
12-19-2005, 12:27 PM
Many are omitting Westfield and North Shore... Westfield doesn't lose their QB in the 2nd quarter of their last playoff game, things could've turned out way different...
I agree, you have to have Westfield and NorhtShore in the top 10. I think what is difficult to accept is the fact that there are only 10 spots in the top 10, and only 5 spots in the top 5. It is just real difficult to squeeze more teams in there. Westfield and NorthShore are top 10 teams.

toonman
12-19-2005, 12:50 PM
1 - SLC
2 - HP
3 - ET
4 - Katy
5 - Judson
6 - Lufkin
7 - Plano
8 - Cy Falls
9 - SGP
10 - Longview
11 - South Garland
12 - Garland
13 - Berkner
14 - A&M C
15 - Cove

There is no way Highland Park should be on this list in the Top 10. HP would not win against any of the Top 10 teams. If Highland Park wants to be ranked with the 'Big Teams" they should play with the 'Big Teams'. Let's keep the 5A rankings to 5A teams.

KTgrl2006
12-19-2005, 12:51 PM
Who cares it is all homer speculation on who is 2nd best. I think we all know who was the #1 team in the state without question and that is all that matters.

yea tpo bad the "#1 team" is a bunch of bleach blond rich little ft.worth boys with rude parents and bad fashion :)

dragonsdaddy
12-19-2005, 12:54 PM
yea tpo bad the "#1 team" is a bunch of bleach blond rich little ft.worth boys with rude parents and bad fashion :)
thanks for your support of the marines. sorry your sense of fashion isn't as strong as the slc sense of winning.

pack0808
12-19-2005, 12:57 PM
All the SLC fan's i have met have been nothing but nice and respectful. I know you were kidding but you sound a little bitter? I guess winning as much as they do causes blind hatred from fan's across the state??

my3sons
12-19-2005, 01:57 PM

SLC
Lufkin
Plano
Katy
Trinity

Plano played a great game against SLC. However, Lufkin is the real deal. Katy is a great squad and caused 3 turnovers for SLC. However, the SLC defense is opportunistic and caused 4 turnovers -- all interceptions. SLC's defense stopped Katy several times and turned the ball back to the offense to get points. That is what the formula has been all season. Granted, the offense is great. However, the SLC D paved the way.

Drake
12-19-2005, 03:10 PM
1 - SLC
2 - HP
3 - ET
4 - Katy
5 - Judson
6 - Lufkin
7 - Plano
8 - Cy Falls
9 - SGP
10 - Longview
11 - South Garland
12 - Garland
13 - Berkner
14 - A&M C
15 - CoveWow, Judson #5 and no Westfield in your top 15... Did you just forget about them?

Pack Backer
12-19-2005, 09:18 PM

C'mon. How about giving credit where it is due. SLC has built a great program and anyone would be proud of that. It is not easy winning, but when you are consistent as they have been in both classifications, you've got something. In order to win like they have, you have to have great community support. That's what we have a Lufkin and it shows. Getting everyone involved and supporting your cause is a hard, hard task. If you are involved with your team you know what I mean. If you're not, maybe you should give it a try. IT AIN'T EASY!!!!

SLCDad
12-19-2005, 10:42 PM
I dont think most of them were forced. Dalton throws one into triple coverage and the other when his wideout ran the wrong routeThat's what happens when the defense if applying pressure. Turnovers happen. When QBs are pressured and forced to throw, turnovers are often the result (just ask Plano about the INTs they forced against SLC).

The other two INTs were great defensive plays. Padron tipped 3 passes and only one was intercepted. It could have been all three.

SLCDad
12-19-2005, 10:56 PM
Did I read this correctly ? Highland Park ranked about Trinity ? KAty and Lufkin ranked higher than Trinity ? oh wait -- posted by dragonBAND - I get it now.Several of the state rankings have similar rankings.