PDA

View Full Version : TTU gets #5

TTURedRaider
03-11-2009, 09:34 PM
RB Aaron Spikes... from Pinkston HS in Dallas.

lonny23
03-11-2009, 09:35 PM
RB Aaron Spikes... from Pinkston HS in Dallas.
Yep, but Rivals hasn't updated it yet.

http://texastech.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=88916

slorch
03-11-2009, 09:41 PM
Yep, but Rivals hasn't updated it yet.

http://texastech.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=88916

paysites suck.

I will never subscribe to them.

They are just flat out stupid. I just have this image of a bunch of morons that are a cross between John Clayton and Mel Kiper sitting there gigling because they know something 5 seconds before the rest of us...:rolleyes::mad::Censor:

lonny23
03-11-2009, 09:43 PM
I love it when guys want to be Red Raiders from the start. He committed the minute they offered and I like that we're getting another guy out of Dallas.

http://texastech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=922869

RocklandDragon
03-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Just out of curiosity...who was TTU's #1 or #2 commit?

TTURedRaider
03-13-2009, 12:13 AM
Just out of curiosity...who was TTU's #1 or #2 commit?

#1 DE Jackson Richards
#2 OT Troy Baker (soft commit)
#3 QB Scotty Young
#4 LB Zac Winbush
#5 RB Aaron Spikes

lonny23
03-13-2009, 12:59 AM
Since this is the latest 2010 thread, we've lost one from 2009. Trevor Reilly was a defensive commit a few years ago, but has been on a Mormon mission for a few years. He was supposed to sign once he got back from Sweden, but he decided this week to sign with Utah.

pied
03-13-2009, 09:26 AM
paysites suck.

I will never subscribe to them.

They are just flat out stupid. I just have this image of a bunch of morons that are a cross between John Clayton and Mel Kiper sitting there gigling because they know something 5 seconds before the rest of us...:rolleyes::mad::Censor:

If we didn't have these pay sites, things would be much different in my opinion. We would know much less. Who would bother to put up the information that we read, even if it is 5 seconds later?

lonny23
03-13-2009, 11:53 AM
If we didn't have these pay sites, things would be much different in my opinion. We would know much less. Who would bother to put up the information that we read, even if it is 5 seconds later?
I have no problems with pay sites per se. The only argument is whether or not you get accurate info or what you pay for.

I can't speak for the LSU Scout site, but I wouldn't drop a dime on the LSU Rivals site because it's known that the publisher has axes to grind and to me that means you have to take his content with a grain of salt. It's been mentioned numerous times that Geoff Ketchum is shaky with the info he gives people on Orangebloods. The guy is OK everytime he's around the Tech Rivals guys, but I still hear a constant barrage of gripes about what the guy says on the radio in Austin and what he says and does on his website. The LSR 100 is always panned as being little more than a publicity stunt to make the University of Texas look better.

As far as Tech goes, I don't give Scout any money because those guys copy what the Rivals guys say first and they sometimes report stuff that isn't true (They're not lying; they just don't always have accurate stories). Scout does have a free board that you can get info from without paying, though. I pay money with Rivals because they have good contacts with the recruits and coaches and they're honest enough to say what they think will happen even if it won't make many people happy. The biggest problem with most pay sites (But not a problem with Texas Tech) is that they think they have to report a Pollyanna, all is well, message to the masses instead of the stone cold truth.

pied
03-13-2009, 12:05 PM
I have no problems with pay sites per se. The only argument is whether or not you get accurate info or what you pay for.

I can't speak for the LSU Scout site, but I wouldn't drop a dime on the LSU Rivals site because it's known that the publisher has axes to grind and to me that means you have to take his content with a grain of salt. It's been mentioned numerous times that Geoff Ketchum is shaky with the info he gives people on Orangebloods. The guy is OK everytime he's around the Tech Rivals guys, but I still hear a constant barrage of gripes about what the guy says on the radio in Austin and what he says and does on his website. The LSR 100 is always panned as being little more than a publicity stunt to make the University of Texas look better.

As far as Tech goes, I don't give Scout any money because those guys copy what the Rivals guys say first and they sometimes report stuff that isn't true (They're not lying; they just don't always have accurate stories). Scout does have a free board that you can get info from without paying, though. I pay money with Rivals because they have good contacts with the recruits and coaches and they're honest enough to say what they think will happen even if it won't make many people happy. The biggest problem with most pay sites (But not a problem with Texas Tech) is that they think they have to report a Pollyanna, all is well, message to the masses instead of the stone cold truth.

Curious as to what info from Ketchum is shaky?

I have not listened to him on the radio, benig in Dallas.

lonny23
03-13-2009, 08:50 PM

The first thing is that it seems like his LSR 100 list is largely tied to who Texas is getting and who goes wherever for other teams. There is a lot of movement on his list, but the bottom line is always to put Texas in the best light.

I haven't listened to his radio show, but I know Tech fans in Austin hate it and even jtk has mentioned before how Ketch isn't liked that much by many 'horn fans and I've heard over the years how the athletic department isn't always happy with him, but he's a necessary evil since he runs the biggest college sports pay site there is. Personally, I don't think the guy is all bad. He's fine when talking to Tech guys, but it seems like he runs a circus for the Texas fans the rest of the time.

chapfan2008
03-14-2009, 12:27 AM
How about this nugget:

KETCH DID NOT GO TO TEXAS. Texas State rather. Close, but no cigar.

And yes his ratings are a little skewed. I personally know all the aggieyell guys and I can tell you they are alot more levelheaded about everything than Ketch and company. One of Ketch's goons went so far as to say they'd sign Matthews in the end this week. What a joke. AY rankings are hella more legit.

TTURedRaider
03-15-2009, 11:13 AM

Like how we were over hyped and couldn't beat Texas.

SLC
03-15-2009, 11:27 AM

Well hell...lets throw in everyone outside of Lubbuck then.

BDB
03-15-2009, 11:59 AM

looks like he was %50.

battin' .5000 ain't bad.

pied
03-16-2009, 08:50 AM
How about this nugget:

And yes his ratings are a little skewed. I personally know all the aggieyell guys and I can tell you they are alot more levelheaded about everything than Ketch and company. One of Ketch's goons went so far as to say they'd sign Matthews in the end this week. What a joke. AY rankings are hella more legit.

I am not certain he went to Texas State, but I do no he did not graduate from Texas if that has bearing.

As far as the ranking go, how do you quantify that? There must be some specific players who were ranked siginificantly higher on Ketch's list than the AY/Scout/Rivals 100 that you can say were off.

In the end, I don't really care a lot about the rankings as much as I do for the info. I have been a memeber of OB since the beginning and a member of Aggie Yell for well over 3 years. The information that I can not get other places(as quickly) is the value I get for my $9.95/month or $19.90 for both.

slorch
03-16-2009, 10:13 AM
Aggie Yell must be extremely rewarding if they take Texags up another level...

pied
03-16-2009, 10:20 AM
Aggie Yell must be extremely rewarding if they take Texags up another level...

I used to read Texags in the old days, but started reading AY to check up on common recruits. These days there are not as many, but you never know.

I liked being able to see how the different moderators perceived the nifo from recruits. I find most of the owners(AY/OB/peristyle) are all pretty good. It's funny to see the fans from the different sites complain about the mods from rival schools. The arguements are basically the same, except the name of the school.

pied
03-16-2009, 05:14 PM
How about this nugget:

Shep Klinke was unranked on the legit AY rankings and now is #59. Not disputing the ranking, just interesting.

Also if you are looking at content, here is the caption on the LSR for the 100th ranked player, James Franklin a Missouri commitment(pictures alos for all but three):

I’m very curious to see Franklin’s development at the next level because he’s a very good high school quarterback, but I can’t help but wonder if he can successfully make the next leap. As a passer, he does a good job of making decisions, but he doesn’t have the strongest arm and he can be very stiff in the pocket. As a runner, Franklin is able to make plays with his feet at the high school level, but I’m not sure that his athleticism is going to translate real well in college. That being said, he’s got some natural playmaking skill, so he’s got a shot with some patience, development and coaching.
Player he reminds me of: Jordan Chambless (Texas A&M- 2004)
Previous ranking: 89
Highest ranking: 33 (5/7/08)
Debut ranking: 33 (5/7/08)

AY only has captions for the top tenand captions for them as well. Here is the caption for the top ranked player on the AY top 125, Jackson Jeffcoat:

The son of former Dallas Cowboy DE and current University of Houston assistant coach Jim Jeffcoat, he is perhaps the nation's top player in 2010. Jeffcoat is a rare blend of size, speed and athleticism. He will be a four-year starter and was a second-team all-state selection as a sophomore. He also is a standout in basketball.
Previous: 1

for grins here is the LSR update on the same player:

When Jackson Jeffcoat first popped up on the recruiting scene as a true freshman, it was pretty obvious that we were looking at a future star and possible five-star prospect. Fast-forward three years and Jeffcoat is the cream of a 2010 in-state crop than ranks among the best and deepest classes in a decade. At 6-5, 230 pounds, Jeffcoat is almost the picture-perfect football player, as we’re talking about an elite-level athlete on the defensive side of the ball that has a great frame to build on. More than anything, Jeffcoat stands out because his football skill set and IQ are off the charts. He uses his hands extremely well, while setting up offensive linemen as a pass rusher with the savvy of a much older player. Perhaps the only thing he’s truly missing is an elite-level first step, but he’s able to do so much as a player that his “good” first step is more than enough because he brings so much more to the table than a speed rush. Rarely does one find a high school player with the ability to thrive with a sequence of developed pass rush moves, but Jeffcoat can go inside or outside with a variety of moves and his understanding of the importance of leverage almost makes one-on-one battles unfair before they take place.
Player he reminds me of: Everson Griffen - (USC 2007)
Previous ranking: 1
Highest ranking: 1
Debut ranking: 1 (5/7/08)

chapfan2008
03-16-2009, 07:48 PM
They definitely put alot more work into it, I'll admit that. I enjoy reading those little captions on their rankings.

But if you want to get into this :cool::

Tevin Jackson: Debut ranking, 90. Current ranking, 8.

Chris Jones: Debut ranking, unranked. Previous ranking, unranked. Current ranking (after texas commitment), 12.

Bryant Jackson: 31, 50, 13 (post texas commitment)

Dorsey: 57, unranked, 23. This one's a real mind boggler.

Philips: 81, 24

Dontae Williams: 7, and then after finding out texas wouldn't offer, 33

Daniels: Unranked, 37

There's no reason for any guard to be ahead of Adam Shead, give me a break.

Patterson: 13, 15, 42 (this was all AFTER the season was over)

Guy: 21, 47, 57

Peterson: 91, 58

Lindsay: 18, 60

Noble: 16, 63

Calhoun: 14, 75 (although I must say I agree with this one)

Favors: 90, 11, 85 (what a joke)

BEN MALENA AT 99 IS A JOKE.

And, just for a little homerism, did he really leave out an Ohio State commitment from his state top 100?

chapfan2008
03-16-2009, 07:49 PM
And I'm sure you'll find similar occurences in the AY rankings, but the sheer amount of them isn't even close.

lonny23
03-16-2009, 09:35 PM
And I'm sure you'll find similar occurences in the AY rankings, but the sheer amount of them isn't even close.
You just posted in numbers what I was saying about Ketch's ratings. Basically, his normal way is to bump up guys who commit to Texas or about to commit to Texas and he usually has OU guys just as high as the Texas guys. He'll leave some guys going to out of state powers real high, but he has a secondary level for A&M guys and another even lower level for Tech guys. That doesn't happen 100% exactly, but that's the way for about 85-90% of the guys.

pied
03-16-2009, 09:38 PM

a$m has only four commitments......

chapfan2008
03-16-2009, 11:48 PM
a$m has only four commitments......

I mean in years past also. This bs is a continual occurence by Ketch and his goons that mods at other sties don't pull NEARLY as much.

pied
03-17-2009, 07:45 AM
BEN MALENA AT 99 IS A JOKE.

And, just for a little homerism, did he really leave out an Ohio State commitment from his state top 100?

Ben Malena's offer list:

The AY 100th ranked player of 2009 offer list(Kenric McNeal):

Texas A&M
Arizona
Houston
Iowa State
Ole Miss
Missouri
Nebraska
Oregon

Malena's current offer list:
Baylor
Iowa
Kansas
Minnesota
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
UNLV
Wisconsin
Tulsa

Malena may get more offers, but it appears to be in line somewhat.

chapfan2008
03-17-2009, 09:21 AM
McNeal had those by signing day. Malena has those before Spring Break. Big difference.

pied
03-17-2009, 10:27 AM
Who do you expect to offer him? Texas? LSU? ou?