PDA

View Full Version : Fans of football.

Redneckn
12-12-2005, 11:39 AM
Trying to figure something out here.
I would assume everyone here is a high school football fan in one way or another.

Why do you attend games? I mean, it seems like some towns could care less if their schools even play ball. Others, you go there on game night and nobody is there. They are all at the game.
What gives?

Redneckn
12-12-2005, 11:50 AM
I put for this poll to close on 01-01. But it says it closes tomorrow. That sucks. If the poll is closed, just state your reason and that will suffice.
Thanks.

AZTiger
12-12-2005, 11:52 AM
a combo of all of them really. I played at Katy, graduated in 1998. my whole mom's side of the family also went to Katy. I have a cousin who coaches, and some of my best friends still have brothers that play.

Redneckn
12-12-2005, 11:59 AM
a combo of all of them really. I played at Katy, graduated in 1998. my whole mom's side of the family also went to Katy. I have a cousin who coaches, and some of my best friends still have brothers that play.

So just pick one then..hahaha.. I would say you are a fan because "Katy is better and the number of fans prove it" kind of thing. But, yes, you could indeed pick any of them.
I do need you to pick one though. I am gonna toss these numbers up in some faces over in La. For 5 games, they averaged less than 40K total attendance at the state finals. I think the 1A final had around 4-5K total. That's sad. Everybody in Shreveport complains because the state games are held in N.O. every year and its too far to go. It was in Shreveport this year and hardly any locals bothered to show up. And they wonder why they suck compared to Texas.

Redneckn
12-12-2005, 04:07 PM
Take the poll folks... Help a redneck out.

If you've already taken the poll, thank you. Make a friend take the poll.
If you haven't taken the poll, you'll be a hoser for life if you dont. Nobody wants to be a hoser for life.

BAMF cowboy
12-12-2005, 04:11 PM
I can't choose, because this year I am required to go, but I would go to all the games anyways, like last year, (and 14 out of 16 the year before).

Redneckn
12-12-2005, 04:12 PM
I can't choose, because this year I am required to go, but I would go to all the games anyways, like last year, (and 14 out of 16 the year before).

Then pick what you pick if you werent in band. It doesnt really matter what you pick, just so long as you do pick one.

DragonBand06
12-12-2005, 04:16 PM
In four years, I have only missed one game, and that was for all-region tryouts my freshman year. Now, given, I am required to go to all the games for band, but I think I would just out of sheer fandomness.

GTown02
12-12-2005, 04:24 PM
You should have made an option "Because I graduated from there"...

btrain38
12-12-2005, 04:36 PM
Trying to figure something out here.
I would assume everyone here is a high school football fan in one way or another.

Why do you attend games? I mean, it seems like some towns could care less if their schools even play ball. Others, you go there on game night and nobody is there. They are all at the game.
What gives?
I am a Trinity Trojans football fan. I have miss 8 games since 1980. That is all home games and all away games.

Crank_It
12-12-2005, 04:39 PM
I can't get away from it TXHSF just runs in my veins.

cyfallsbooster
12-12-2005, 04:45 PM
I picked "just love it that much". i did play (long ago) but that is not why i go now. my son played but graduated a few years back, so that is not the reason. nobody i know in band/cheer/etc.. i do not care how many the other side has, so that is not the reason. so i guess it is just because i like hs football (and baseball).

Redneckn
12-12-2005, 04:54 PM
You should have made an option "Because I graduated from there"...

That would fall under the because I just love football or the we're better and more fans prove it...

ftballin11
12-12-2005, 07:01 PM
I had more than 1 answer, just couldn't do them all ;)

Packattack94
12-12-2005, 07:07 PM
Played 7th,8th, and JV in north Texas- Moved to lufkin went to hudson got screwed!!!!!!!

wide-e-wide
12-12-2005, 07:09 PM
Played 7th,8th, and JV in north Texas- Moved to lufkin went to hudson got screwed!!!!!!!

Packattack94...you must me around my age...well a few years younger...but we might know each other. Unless 94 means something else.

dragonbuck
12-12-2005, 07:14 PM
I played ball at a powerhouse in Ohio with a stadium that held 15K back in the 70's. It's in my veins. And by the way, Ohio football is incredible considering the size of the state; however, Texas 5A football top to bottom is by far the best. No comparison.

Packattack94
12-12-2005, 07:15 PM
Packattack94...you must me around my age...well a few years younger...but we might know each other. Unless 94 means something else.

I'm 30, but still a kid at heart.:)

wide-e-wide
12-12-2005, 07:16 PM
I played ball at a powerhouse in Ohio with a stadium that held 15K back in the 70's. It's in my veins. And by the way, Ohio football is incredible considering the size of the state; however, Texas 5A football top to bottom is by far the best. No comparison.

Where were you at 3 months ago?
We needed your input on the whole Ohio/Texas football thing.
The Ohio guys were killing us for a solid month with that crap.

BigWhiteJake
12-12-2005, 07:32 PM
wide, what are you doin over in high school? did we finally convince the world texas was going to slaughter USC?

Redneckn
12-12-2005, 09:20 PM
I don't understand why the people of Louisiana aren't more like the fans here in Texas... I mean, you have 5 games over 3 days in Shreveport and they couldn't even manage to muster more than 40K fans...
It really p!$$ed me off that the North Louisiana fans have griped for years about having to go to NewOrleans to see the games and we finally get it in Shreveport and so few came out to watch. I could perhaps understand the Thurs. nite game. But Friday there was a game at 1pm and at 7pm. Sat. ther were games at 1pm and 7pm. The weather was nice out Saturday.
And it wasnt like these were just some teams playing. These were the best teams in Louisiana going head to head. There were 3 teams there that have been powerhouse teams for several years. WestMonroe, John Curtis, and ECA.
If the people over there don't start getting behind some teams and going to some games, football is always going to be substandard in Louisiana.

I apprciate everyone taking the time to do the poll. Know that numbers will be put to good use to prove a point.
In Texas, people that don't really even have a dog in the hunt give a crap and go to games. In Louisiana, it seems like once you get out of 1A and 2A townspeople don't give a crap unless they have a kid participating. And that just sucks...

dragons08
12-12-2005, 11:19 PM
im in band, so i put that one..but if i wasnt in band, id still go to the football games

Crank_It
12-12-2005, 11:26 PM
im in band, so i put that one..but if i wasnt in band, id still go to the football games

Don't lie!!:D

dragons08
12-12-2005, 11:32 PM
Don't lie!!:D
fine you caught me, i am complelty obssed with band, i hate football with all my guts, i cant even stand to talk about it at all! :rolleyes:

Trinity Trojan Fan For Li
12-12-2005, 11:38 PM
I had to vote just because I love football. My son, neices, nephews, cousins, and friends' kids all graduated from Trinity. We moved to Euless in 1980 and I have been going to all the Trinity games since then. Probably missed less than 10 games in 26 years. I feel like a kid again at the games.

businesstron
12-12-2005, 11:41 PM
Just because I love football that much and plus I played for Duncaville from 7th grade on. I come from a football family my dad and granddad played in high school in College. Actually redneck my core family(grandparents cousins) are from Monroe Louisiana. My dad used to play for th Richwood Rams before they were closed(they opened back up recently though)...
I didn't notice how good Texas football was untill I moved to Louisiana and Arkansas. Louisiana has a bunch of good athletes but just not alot of good coaches. Plus some schools like to recruit....or some school just attract all the good athletes(either way you want to take it) it kind of makes it a little bit uneven. It's mostly coaching though.

Redneckn
12-12-2005, 11:50 PM
Just because I love football that much and plus I played for Duncaville from 7th grade on. I come from a football family my dad and granddad played in high school in College. Actually redneck my core family(grandparents cousins) are from Monroe Louisiana. My dad used to play for th Richwood Rams before they were closed(they opened back up recently though)...
I didn't notice how good Texas football was untill I moved to Louisiana and Arkansas. Louisiana has a bunch of good athletes but just not alot of good coaches. Plus some schools like to recruit....or some school just attract all the good athletes(either way you want to take it) it kind of makes it a little bit uneven. It's mostly coaching though.

I agree that some schools attract the better athletes. The reason for that is you other point. Coaching. If the good coaches are at a school and that school is completely dominating, why the heck would a someone that plays ball not want to go there?

Change does not go over well in Louisiana. And having coaches that have been coaching there forever and then having coaches that came up in those same sucky old programs dont help the situation.
The problem is not the kids. It's the coaching.

The problem with the fans is something I can't figure a real explanation for. Other than they just are used to football sucking. That would be my guess.

ktCarl
12-13-2005, 06:53 AM
I go to Katy's games 'cause the team won my heart in '94. I've never seen that many rabid fans at a high school football game before. Plus, no matter how far Katy goes in the playoffs, it's a great season. The fan base is very upbeat and always shows a good measure of respect for the opponents no matter what team it is. My son did graduate from Katy in 2000 and played on the freshman and JV teams but quit to concentrate on his first love, baseball.
I've found I like High School football more than the pro game. It's more affordable and the high school players don't dance around after a play like a bunch of immature idiots.
Don't know where to place my vote on the poll, Redneck.

bleedgreen
12-13-2005, 11:02 AM
OK---i love football......i played for the mighty Lobos......AND, most important---i love watching the short skirts..especially when they are walking UP the stands to the concessions or restrooms.........;) ;)

Lp81
12-13-2005, 03:58 PM
OK---i love football......i played for the mighty Lobos......AND, most important---i love watching the short skirts..especially when they are walking UP the stands to the concessions or restrooms.........;) ;)What years did you playand what position(s)?

'97Tiger
12-13-2005, 05:37 PM
OK---i love football......i played for the mighty Lobos......AND, most important---i love watching the short skirts..especially when they are walking UP the stands to the concessions or restrooms.........;) ;)

When did you graduate? You probably didn't play when we beat Longview in '97 because you sound like a dirty old man.

wide-e-wide
12-13-2005, 05:44 PM
When did you graduate? You probably didn't play when we beat Longview in '97 because you sound like a dirty old man.

Now that's no way to make friends with your first post.
I'll have you know bleedgreen is not a dirty old man.
He is a drunk,dirty old man.

AZTiger
12-13-2005, 07:16 PM

is this who i think it is?

AZTiger
12-13-2005, 07:17 PM
oh and redneckn can you call up my friend in monroe and tell her to shut up, because she swears LA football is better, and that west monroe gets 20k fans every game.

ftballin11
12-13-2005, 07:19 PM
Lets break that one down a little bit...
Drunk...Yes.
Dirty... Perhaps.
Old... Possibility.
Man... Not even close.;)

tailgater
12-13-2005, 07:28 PM
I go to HS football for alot of reasons. But I like getting to see the top players and follow their college and possibly pro carreers. A good example - is Vicent Young. Saw him in HS and now at Texas. And when he goes pro - I will follow his team and alway hope he does well (except against the Texans - unless he becomes a Texan - but that's a whole different matter).

People who saw VY in HS - know he has come along way at improving as a quarterback. I hope he comes back and refines his QB skills.

Saw Drew Tate at Baytown Lee - now at Iowa. and of course North Shore's Bobby Reid - now at OK state. He should have a better year next year - if he can stay healthy.

There are many others. It makes watching the college games that much more interesting.

rellufnalla
12-13-2005, 08:23 PM
Never played football - ever.

Went to a Lufkin game back in '75. First time I ever saw a real high school football game - I couldn't believe the crowd and how big a deal it was. It made no sense to me.

Started going to Katy games when I moved here in '95. My wife talked me into going. It grew on me. I don't care for college or pro ball and would always choose sittin' at a Katy game over one.

I had one son play on varsity in 2002. The youngest will play in 2008. Even if he doesn't, I will still be in the stand yellin for the Tigers.

It has something to do with watchin' kids with heart playing as a team better than any of them could do on their own.

BAMF cowboy
12-13-2005, 08:52 PM
Then pick what you pick if you werent in band. It doesnt really matter what you pick, just so long as you do pick one.

who said i was in band??

dragons08
12-13-2005, 09:11 PM
who said i was in band??
trust me, say your in band if you want to be considered "cool" :cool:

AZTiger
12-13-2005, 09:13 PM
trust me, say your in band if you want to be considered "cool" :cool:

that's only if you go to Willowridge ;)

Tex
12-13-2005, 09:21 PM
I played 7-9th grade ( was Middle Linebacker ) then decided it wasnt for me and started boxing and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu so since i never played on varsity I guess im just a fan :)

Packattack94
12-13-2005, 09:24 PM
I played 7-9th grade ( was Middle Linebacker ) then decided it wasnt for me and started boxing and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu so since i never played on varsity I guess im just a fan :)

That's funny, was football not aggressive enough for you?

lonny23
12-13-2005, 09:36 PM
I love football that much. My girls aren't old enough to participate in high school sports yet. Following a team that wins a LOT sure doesn't hurt!:D

Tex
12-13-2005, 09:37 PM
That's funny, was football not aggressive enough for you?

I love football always have but I like Competing in more Individual things.

FeeltheHaka
12-13-2005, 11:06 PM
I have multiple reasons also. I chose, because I have a kid that plays. My son is in Junior High, and he enjoys watching the high schoolers. I also, want him to see what may come in his future. I played in high school also, and those were some of the best times of my life. It is so interesting to see the perspective from the stands as opposed to on the field. My kids and I have a great time at the games. The whole thing is just pure fun. There is nothing like Texas High school football. I believe THSF is the best entertainment for the dollar.

RocklandDragon
12-14-2005, 07:42 AM
What sport is better than Gridiron American Football? NOTHING! The atmosphere of the games is also very intoxicating. Go down to the Permian Basin and witness an Odessa Permian-Midland Lee game and watch how supporters of both schools cheer, scream, and chant in unison. I also go to my former high school, Lubbock High's games, holding on to the (usually false) hope that this will be the year the playoff drought is broken (30+ years and counting). If we get moved with Odessa, Midland...man it's going to be a real long wait--yet I'll go to the games. Sometimes, miracles occur on the football field.

:D :D

lonny23
12-14-2005, 07:56 AM
What sport is better than Gridiron American Football? NOTHING! The atmosphere of the games is also very intoxicating. Go down to the Permian Basin and witness an Odessa Permian-Midland Lee game and watch how supporters of both schools cheer, scream, and chant in unison. I also go to my former high school, Lubbock High's games, holding on to the (usually false) hope that this will be the year the playoff drought is broken (30+ years and counting). If we get moved with Odessa, Midland...man it's going to be a real long wait--yet I'll go to the games. Sometimes, miracles occur on the football field.

:D :D
You have the longest drought in 5A. Maybe the Luboock Westerners should do like the nickname...and move in with New Mexico!:p

RocklandDragon
12-17-2005, 02:47 AM
Well, I'm not sure about moving the school to New Mexico (right now we might have trouble with Clovis and Hobbs :eek: ), but it would be nice for Lubbock High to actually put some emphasis in athletics (like high school is supposed to be an institution of learning or something...hee, hee :p :p ).

To think we actually won a football title once upon a time...

lonny23
12-17-2005, 03:12 AM
I don't understand why the people of Louisiana aren't more like the fans here in Texas... I mean, you have 5 games over 3 days in Shreveport and they couldn't even manage to muster more than 40K fans...
It really p!$$ed me off that the North Louisiana fans have griped for years about having to go to NewOrleans to see the games and we finally get it in Shreveport and so few came out to watch. I could perhaps understand the Thurs. nite game. But Friday there was a game at 1pm and at 7pm. Sat. ther were games at 1pm and 7pm. The weather was nice out Saturday.
And it wasnt like these were just some teams playing. These were the best teams in Louisiana going head to head. There were 3 teams there that have been powerhouse teams for several years. WestMonroe, John Curtis, and ECA.
If the people over there don't start getting behind some teams and going to some games, football is always going to be substandard in Louisiana.

I apprciate everyone taking the time to do the poll. Know that numbers will be put to good use to prove a point.
In Texas, people that don't really even have a dog in the hunt give a crap and go to games. In Louisiana, it seems like once you get out of 1A and 2A townspeople don't give a crap unless they have a kid participating. And that just sucks...
I'm surprised that only 40K showed up. The ESPN article said John Curtis had a good crowd. How many were at the 2A game?

West Monroe should've had a good crowd for 5A unless they didn't go because they weren't playing Evangel.

Evangel's crowd was somewhat lacking when I watched them and Longview in 2004. How many did they have at the game?

It sounds like they spread the games out to keep charging people. I liked the old days where you got 1 game on Friday and 3 on Saturday (When it was 1A-4A). Has it been 1-1-3 in recent years in The Superdome?

lonny23
12-17-2005, 03:18 AM
I go to Katy's games 'cause the team won my heart in '94. I've never seen that many rabid fans at a high school football game before. Plus, no matter how far Katy goes in the playoffs, it's a great season. The fan base is very upbeat and always shows a good measure of respect for the opponents no matter what team it is. My son did graduate from Katy in 2000 and played on the freshman and JV teams but quit to concentrate on his first love, baseball.
I've found I like High School football more than the pro game. It's more affordable and the high school players don't dance around after a play like a bunch of immature idiots.
Don't know where to place my vote on the poll, Redneck.
I like HS more than the Pro's, too.

lonny23
12-17-2005, 03:32 AM
Hey, you are a dirty old man!:p That sounds like the tricks of my youth. You know, going under the stands at the baseball games and watching the drill team warm up stretching next to the fence before the football games!:D

lonny23
12-17-2005, 03:38 AM
oh and redneckn can you call up my friend in monroe and tell her to shut up, because she swears LA football is better, and that west monroe gets 20k fans every game.
West Monroe gets a reported 9K for some games, but I've been by their stadium and it might seat 7K at the MOST.

If Louisiana football was all that, Evangel wouldn't be winning 5A titles over there and losing to Texas teams who don't even get past the 3rd Round.

bleedgreen
12-17-2005, 11:55 AM
well, you're exactly right on both assumptions, youngster.......and, if you are a girl, and you're wearing a short skirt, and you look half-way worth a crap, i will look up your skirt as well..............;)

wide-e-wide
12-17-2005, 11:59 AM
well, you're exactly right on both assumptions, youngster.......and, if you are a girl, and you're wearing a short skirt, and you look half-way worth a crap, i will look up your skirt as well..............;)

classic bleedgreen...Nice to see you took time away from the porn sites to hang out with us today. Both hands on the keyboard at all times...got it?

bleedgreen
12-17-2005, 12:01 PM
Lets break that one down a little bit...
Drunk...Yes.
Dirty... Perhaps.
Old... Possibility.
Man... Not even close.;)
????.....was that a shot at me, ftballin11??? don't belive that i know you or have ever had any type of conversation with you, have i?? saying that i'm not a man in my presence would be harmful to your health, youngster.....that was a good call behind a computer screen---you would be missing some teeth, otherwise.....i promise you that..................

wide-e-wide
12-17-2005, 09:45 PM
Bleedgreen for Mike Tyson internet tough guy award...

hahahaha

I know the feeling though Bleed...sometimes it's hard to get your point across over a computer...you know what you want to say...and you know how you really feel about the situation...but other than throwing your computer through a window...there is nothing you can do.

I have anger management issues as well bleed....haha