View Full Version : Kyle Field Expansion to 115,000

supercentex
06-12-2005, 02:29 AM
This is what it's suppose to look like

http://www.theeagle.com/aandmnews/photos/091804kyle1.jpg

http://www.theeagle.com/aandmnews/photos/091804kyle2.jpg

wide-e-wide
06-12-2005, 02:30 AM
So that's what 115,000 losers packed in a bunch looks like...

supercentex
06-12-2005, 02:32 AM

I got money on it that Texas loses there this year :D

jtk1519
06-12-2005, 02:46 AM
What the heck does aggy need with more seats? They cant even sell out the stadium they have now. Do they just want to stare at an additional 30,000 empty seats or something?

BTW, even that expanded Pyle Field cant compare to what the expanded DKR will look like...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/jtk1519/Other/newDKR2.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/jtk1519/Other/newDKR1.jpg

wide-e-wide
06-12-2005, 02:52 AM
I got money on it that Texas loses there this year :D

supercentex....

don't do it dude...
You already know where I live...
And you really think you are gonna come to
my street and collect on that bet?
I got 200 on UT right now...and I'll give you 2
TD's...put your money where your mouth is...
or shut it up....
c'mon man that's 14 points to you....?

supercentex
06-12-2005, 09:15 AM
jtk---it wasn't too long ago that t.u. couldn't even sell out half of DKR......while Texas A&M was dominating the scene.

Yet, A&M has a few dismal years and still sells out and has regular crowds of 70-86K. What does that say for t.u.?

What's going to happen to t.u. when they fall off their perch again?

And we all know that 20K fans at Kyle Field = a sold out crowd at DKR.

Kyle Field will always own DKR as far as atmosphere and fan support (no matter how many you pack into the stadium)

It's a nice stadium tho.........

By the way, did you go to Texas?

supercentex
06-12-2005, 09:16 AM
supercentex....

don't do it dude...
You already know where I live...
And you really think you are gonna come to
my street and collect on that bet?
I got 200 on UT right now...and I'll give you 2
TD's...put your money where your mouth is...
or shut it up....
c'mon man that's 14 points to you....?

Let's wait until the season starts.......and hits a couple of conference games.

wide-e-wide
06-12-2005, 10:36 AM
Alright bro...we shall see..

jtk1519
06-12-2005, 12:34 PM
jtk---it wasn't too long ago that t.u. couldn't even sell out half of DKR......while Texas A&M was dominating the scene.

Yet, A&M has a few dismal years and still sells out and has regular crowds of 70-86K. What does that say for t.u.?

What's going to happen to t.u. when they fall off their perch again?

And we all know that 20K fans at Kyle Field = a sold out crowd at DKR.

Kyle Field will always own DKR as far as atmosphere and fan support (no matter how many you pack into the stadium)

It's a nice stadium tho.........

By the way, did you go to Texas?

All I know is that right now and for the last several years Texas has averaged well over 100% attendance while aggy has been lucky to break 90%. You just dont add 30,000 seats when you cant even sell out what you have. If aggy can pull their poor attendance figures up and maybe get some butts in the seats, then it might be a wise investment. However, aggy has spent a lot more time "off the perch" than Texas ever has. What is aggy going to do for a majority of their seasons when they are a mediocre football team and cant draw better than 70,000 for the OK State game?

When you get right down to it... I would love to see aggy and Texas both expand and sell out on a regular basis. I believe Nebraska is expanding and I wouldnt mind seeing Blow U. do the same. When it comes to stadiums and atmospheres, the Big XII is an embarassment compared to the the SEC and Big 10.

supercentex
06-12-2005, 12:43 PM
All I know is that right now and for the last several years Texas has averaged well over 100% attendance while aggy has been lucky to break 90%. You just dont add 30,000 seats when you cant even sell out what you have. If aggy can pull their poor attendance figures up and maybe get some butts in the seats, then it might be a wise investment. However, aggy has spent a lot more time "off the perch" than Texas ever has. What is aggy going to do for a majority of their seasons when they are a mediocre football team and cant draw better than 70,000 for the OK State game?

When you get right down to it... I would love to see aggy and Texas both expand and sell out on a regular basis. I believe Nebraska is expanding and I wouldnt mind seeing Blow U. do the same. When it comes to stadiums and atmospheres, the Big XII is an embarassment compared to the the SEC and Big 10.

Are you a fortune teller? What makes you think that A&M is going to have medicore seasons?
There is a reason they are building the expansion...........mostly because of the alumni numbers are going to be increasing.
I just hope that it brings the ticket prices down.........that is alot of the reason why some fans don't even go now.
As far as the Big XII being an embarrasement.........A&M is the only one that can keep things going as far as atmosphere with anyone in the country.

jtk1519
06-12-2005, 01:14 PM
Are you a fortune teller? What makes you think that A&M is going to have medicore seasons?

History has a funny way of repeating itself.

aggy does have a good atmosphere... the best in the Big XII, but it isnt quite as great when you compare it to the likes of Tennessee, Florida, etc. It shouldnt be that way. The Big XII is just too good.

cougardude
06-12-2005, 01:51 PM

Who cares what the stadiums look like? The stadium doesn't have anything to do with the team that's playing on the field. Maybe that's why they are expanding the stadiums, trying to get up to the same caliber as some of the other more well known large, always sold-out stadiums. Your view through your burnt-orange colored glasses is pretty funny. And NO I'm not taking your post personally. And not that I care that you know it or believe it, I am a fan of both Texas and Texas A&M. HOOK 'EM HORNS!!! GIG 'EM AGGIES!! :D

garlandowl08
06-12-2005, 02:00 PM
have you never heard of home field advantage? If a team is in a stadium with 200 seats, home field advantage cant be as strong as in a stadium with 80000 seats and 70000 people

jtk1519
06-12-2005, 02:03 PM
Who cares what the stadiums look like? The stadium doesn't have anything to do with the team that's playing on the field. Maybe that's why they are expanding the stadiums, trying to get up to the same caliber as some of the other more well known large, always sold-out stadiums. Your view through your burnt-orange colored glasses is pretty funny. And NO I'm not taking your post personally. And not that I care that you know it or believe it, I am a fan of both Texas and Texas A&M. HOOK 'EM HORNS!!! GIG 'EM AGGIES!! :D

Who said anything about what the stadiums look like? :confused: We're talking about size and attendance and like I said (if you read), I hope aggy does expand and I hope they sell out. It just makes the Big XII look that much better.

BTW, the stadium does have an impact. Why do you think Texas and Ohio State is such a big game. If they were playing this at Texas Stadium, it wouldnt be near as hyped. Ohio State's stadium is what is making this game that much more special.

garlandowl08
06-12-2005, 02:19 PM
I cant believe Im saying this, but i gotta go with jtk this time...

wide-e-wide
06-12-2005, 03:42 PM

I have never seen those two phrases side by side like that..
I'm surprised your keyboard didn't blow up when you typed it...

Texasfrog
06-12-2005, 06:28 PM
I wish UT would hurry up and do it. They've been talking about it for about 15 years now. So when is this UT expansion suppose to happen ????? I've heard rumors that Mack doesnt want to lose his office view of the field and that's keeping it from happening.

dragons08
06-12-2005, 10:41 PM
haha i would of never thought of saying that

jtk1519
06-13-2005, 12:30 AM
I wish UT would hurry up and do it. They've been talking about it for about 15 years now. So when is this UT expansion suppose to happen ????? I've heard rumors that Mack doesnt want to lose his office view of the field and that's keeping it from happening.

Since the expansion in '97 I think, DKR has been pushed down the priority list a bit. The soccer/track stadium became a priority and now the baseball stadium is. From what I have heard, nothing is going to happen to DKR until Disch-Falk Field gets a much needed face lift. The soccer/track stadium is done, all the rennovations on the Frank Erwin Center are complete. I believe D-F Field is the only thing left to do before attention can be turned back on the football stadium.

The University is very unique in two ways. One, it is an urban campus set in the heart of a large and ever expanding metropolis. Second, all of The University's major athletic facilities are located on campus. Because of those two reasons, it is much harder to expand facilities and create new ones. Everyone knows that parking and traffic are two major problems that UT has to deal with. It is something that designers and planners have to pay a lot of attention to. I know a part of UT's master plan includes building several very large parking structures to help easy the strain a bit. aggy can just throw some more bricks on a building and call it an expansion. Texas has to realize that UT is the flagship university for the state and it sits at the heart of that state. It is a much more delicate process for The University, but hopefully things will get done soon.

TheDuke
06-13-2005, 02:51 PM

Me either!! Very well put though!!

Lp78
06-13-2005, 06:56 PM

Why so much hate? Sure UT has beaten A&M the past several+ years. but how many times have you seen Aggie Fans leave a game early. Example UT vs OU 2003 game. I haven't been able to find a picture, but I remember the UT end of the Cotton Bowl was basicly empty by the 4th Qtr. There where 75,587 in attendance & nearly half of the seats were empty.
How someone from UT can act like they are so much better than everyone else in Texas blows me away. They have a great Athletic program. But they haven't won a National Championship in Football since 1970 & they were Co-National Champs then. They haven't played in a Championship game since 1978 & (1980 I think). UT out recruits every one year after year & still get their A$$ kicked by OU.

35 years & still a pretender! :eek: :eek: :eek:

farmerfan
06-13-2005, 11:56 PM
LP
Im no horn lover, but to say that Aggie fans dont leave early is a understatement. First they have only had 3 sellouts in the last 2 years, second, when they are getting killed the stadium is empty by the 4th quarter, see Texas 03. For as great a atmosphere as they have in college station every game should be sold out, schools like Arkansas with half the enrollment of A&M, sell out a stadium of 70000+ on a everyday basis, the Ags have a hard time to sell out against the likes of Clemson and K-State.
The horn fans are notorious for comeing late and leaving early, but the Ags are right behind them in that category.
As far as the stadium expansion goes, I think this is a project 20+ years in the making, right now the Ags dont have the fan base to sell out a 100000 seat stadium, and they definately do not have the team. When the Ags start competing for confrence championships and are in the 10 win neighborhood on a consistant basis, then they can start worrying about expanding the stadium.

Lp78
06-14-2005, 12:24 AM
Farmerfan, I'm sure A&M fans have left some games early. I just remember the UT & OU game in 03. The game was bad enough & then ABC showed the stands. I just wanted the UT clan to remember what that felt like before they start blasting someone who's trying to improve their home stadium & calling the their fan base losers. Your right, the project is going to be some years down the road. I can't wait for the season to get here, then the real B$ will start.

farmerfan
06-14-2005, 12:49 AM
Its all part of the rivalry, the person who called A&M fans losers is a horn fan, I would not expect them to be gracious towards ag fans, just like ag fans are not gracious towards ut fans. Just realize this, the people who attended A&M and Texas are a bit more level headed when it comes to the rivalry, its those who are outsiders that take it to extreme, that goes for both schools not just one. If all aggie fans were called was losers consider it a compliment, it could be worse, a whole lot worse.

wide-e-wide
06-14-2005, 09:21 AM
So 20 years from now they will have the fan base to fill up
100,000+ stadium?
Why do they need more seats? They don't sit down anyway...aggy logic...it gets better every time.

farmerfan
06-14-2005, 01:24 PM
Its bleachers, and the ones who stand are the students, former students are the ones who sit, the expansion would not add to student seating, so the logic is not flawed, anyone who has been to a Aggie game knows that its the East side that stands, the Zone and West side all sit.
In 20 years A&M very well could have the fan base to fill a stadium, it was not until the 70's that A&M started to really grow, I would estimate that A&M graduates around 7-8000 people a year, in 20 years that will lead to 160,000 alumni, and I would bet that at least 40-50% of those former students will want season tickets. So if the Ags get back to the days of the 80's and 90's, then yes they will have the fan base to fill the stadium.

wide-e-wide
06-14-2005, 01:32 PM
Good luck to aggy...
Pretty sad when all your hopes and dreams are 20 years off.
Meanwhile in Austin they are thinking about today...

farmerfan
06-14-2005, 01:40 PM
Who said anything about winning in 20 years, All i eluded to was what the fan base would be and how the demand of tickets will be at a high demand in 20 years. If anything A&M is planning for the future of their overall school.
ut also has a master plan, the plans for their football stadium have also been in the works for years and are still years on down the line. With the talent that Fran has gathered at A&M, he will have them competing for a division championship a lot sooner than people realize. I remember a time not to long ago when Texas was coming off a losing season, and now they are in posistion to win a national title, with the resources that A&M has, they very well could be in the same boat. If schools like V-Tech and LSU can, why not A&M?

GTown02
06-14-2005, 01:45 PM
remember a time not to long ago when Texas was coming off a losing season

Good ol' pre-Mack era. :(

wide-e-wide
06-14-2005, 01:57 PM
That doesn't happen very often...
Like only 11 times since 1893...

farmerfan
06-14-2005, 02:06 PM
your right its not often, and the point i was trying to make is that it did not take Texas long fix that problem, meaning that the Ags will be a force pretty quickly,. Under this new administration, the Ags are striving for excellence, you dont create a winner over night, both A&M and Texas are heading down a path that was loved by many during the 80's and that is t+1 deciding championships, maybe not this year, but it wont be long till that game is put back on the map of college football. When that happens, 90,000 + seat stadiums will be needed, and eventually bumping it up to 100,000 +. Heck we live in the biggest and best sate already, so why not have the biggest stadium in America.

wide-e-wide
06-14-2005, 03:29 PM
If Reggie can't get them there...it will be a long time before it happens.

TheDuke
06-14-2005, 03:50 PM
We won't be around to see it anyway!! :rolleyes:

wide-e-wide
06-14-2005, 04:16 PM
It will be like Halley's comet..
Something we can tell our grandkids to be sure and see when they get older.

And LP...anyone that thinks Texas gets their a$$ kicked by OU
EVERY year obviously has only been watching football for about 5
years. Do some research before you use the word EVERY...

Lp78
06-14-2005, 05:20 PM
It will be like Halley's comet..
Something we can tell our grandkids to be sure and see when they get older.
LMAO! Kinda like UT winning a National Championship! 35 years & counting!
And LP...anyone that thinks Texas gets their a$$ kicked by OU
EVERY year obviously has only been watching football for about 5
years. Do some research before you use the word EVERY...

Sure thing, just remember that all things go in cycles. How about the Mac Brown era or sometime this Century. Wide, how will you feel if OU wins this year? Not saying its going to happen. UT should win it this year.

Wide, did you live in Lufkin?

wide-e-wide
06-14-2005, 06:15 PM
I don't live in Lufkin anymore. But I grew up there for the most part.
I have been in Waco a year now.
And if OU wins this year...I will get the "paperclip" tatted on my buttocks...
I swear I'll do it...

garlandredraider
06-14-2005, 07:17 PM
I have some things to say... coming from a mutual Texas Tech fan....

1. Kyle Field is the loudest.... but worst place to watch football. Hey lets put stands on the -20 yard line.... and lets put more stands infront of those so no one can see the replay board. Great idea! I was there for Tech vs A&M this year.... and A&M cannot even fill up the stadium they already have. I say finish the Reed Arena... cause that place blows. And get a new court because you just copied Texas.

2. I could see Texas losing at Kyle Field.... but who knows... I could of never seen Baylor beating A&M in a million years. I say Texas wins the Big 12, and fights for the NC.

3.A&M people leave the game too after they are getting killed.... I sure remember the 59-28 Tech victory in 2003 in Lubbock.. and by the end of the game, the A&M fans were all gone.

4.Reggie sucks and should not be on the cover of Dave Campbells's mag. with V.Y.

garlandowl08
06-14-2005, 07:30 PM
Man, that sure didn't seem unbiased...ive heard it said "All Tech fans want is a rival." I guess thats why they pick fights with every other school, in between throwing tortillas and now batteries...talk about terrible fans...

Lp78
06-14-2005, 07:37 PM
Man, that sure didn't seem unbiased...ive heard it said "All Tech fans want is a rival." I guess thats why they pick fights with every other school, in between throwing tortillas and now batteries...talk about terrible fans...

How about goal post? lol

wide-e-wide
06-14-2005, 09:38 PM
sand aggy knows goal posts.

garlandredraider
06-14-2005, 10:39 PM
haha. Goal Post this up yo a$$ aggie! haha. I have to agree... running the goal post into the aggie section after we beat them a while back.... kind of bad. Batteries? Not sure what that means... I know when our Goin' Band went to Colorado, they put batteries in marshmellows and threw them at the members. Tortillas... haha yeah now thats a Tech thing. But seriously... are you going to be hurt by it, nope. Now my garland buddy... read my post again. I don't say anything about Tech, but that I watched the aggies leave early at our game. I stayed with the topic of how the stadium does not need to be added on to because 1. it cannot be filled right now, and 2. the stadium has the worst viewing known to college football. Haha, there was no picking fights.... so there is no need for the terrible fans comment. Trust me..... I have been to every Big 12 South Stadium... and every team has its bad fans that ruin it.

Lufkin_Class_Of_08
06-14-2005, 10:41 PM

when was the illinis last season at or above 500...1920 :D

pack4life
06-14-2005, 10:48 PM
when was the illinis last season at or above 500...1920 :D

What does that have to do with anything we are talking about?

Oh and to answer your question (I assume you are talking about football), the Illini were big 10 champs in 01' with a 10-2 record.

wide-e-wide
06-14-2005, 10:49 PM
Low blow...besides Illinois is a basketball school right?

dragons08
06-14-2005, 11:03 PM
What does that have to do with anything we are talking about?

Oh and to answer your question (I assume you are talking about football), the Illini were big 10 champs in 01' with a 10-2 record.
thanks pack4life.... yea they made the Sugar Bowl and if your talking about basketball, theyve been dominate in that for a couple years now wining numerous big ten tournament titles and big ten regular season titles

dragons08
06-14-2005, 11:06 PM
Low blow...besides Illinois is a basketball school right?
acuttaly they were once good at basketball, they are competive in many other sports. Kurt Kitner (ex illini qb) was the MVP of the World Bowl...i belive it was Jeff George that came out of illinois, and numerous bears greats if im thinking clearly

LarryFine
06-15-2005, 07:31 AM
Considering the size of the "former student" population, student population, and the population of Houston an hour or so down the road, Kyle Filed needs to be 115,000 seats and should sell that out regularly or at least 100,000 for most games.

There is no reason Texas doesn't support 100,000 or more each game either. They have 50,000 on the Austin campus, the largest alumni base, and easy driving distance from Houston, San Antonio, and DFW.

I applaud A&M for taking this bold step, which is long over due.

farmerfan
06-15-2005, 12:46 PM
If Reggie can't get them there...it will be a long time before it happens.

Stephen McGee is just as good as Reggie and I will say is more developed as a QB than Reggie was coming out of HS. The kid can throw the football and has a chance to be a big time QB at A&M. With the recruits they have piled in at A&M, McGee will have a advantage that Reggie did not, he will be surrounded by better players, and I think that gives him more of a chance to be succesfull at A&M than Reggie has been.

garlandowl08
06-15-2005, 03:59 PM
haha. Goal Post this up yo a$$ aggie! haha. I have to agree... running the goal post into the aggie section after we beat them a while back.... kind of bad. Batteries? Not sure what that means... I know when our Goin' Band went to Colorado, they put batteries in marshmellows and threw them at the members. Tortillas... haha yeah now thats a Tech thing. But seriously... are you going to be hurt by it, nope. Now my garland buddy... read my post again. I don't say anything about Tech, but that I watched the aggies leave early at our game. I stayed with the topic of how the stadium does not need to be added on to because 1. it cannot be filled right now, and 2. the stadium has the worst viewing known to college football. Haha, there was no picking fights.... so there is no need for the terrible fans comment. Trust me..... I have been to every Big 12 South Stadium... and every team has its bad fans that ruin it.

I know what you were trying to say, but it was mostly anti-aggie so i decided to mess with you. and to answer your battery question, ive heard that Tech fans throw batteries at people occaisionally

garlandredraider
06-15-2005, 05:03 PM
haha, never heard that one before!

So Garland buddy i just heard....

"Garland C/G prospect Buddy Brumit called Scout.com to update us on his commitment status, choosing to end the suspense in favor of Texas Tech"

If you know him, tell him congrats!