PDA

View Full Version : Help me find a baseball team

jtk1519
02-07-2009, 12:45 PM
You all know I hate MLB, but every year I try my hardest to get into it. I actually like it in the early months, but the season just drags on too damn long. That said, I'm going to give it a try again. My biggest problem is that when I have tried to get into it in the past, it has always been with the Rangers and disappointment and then apathy quickly ensues. I'll probably go to quite a few Ranger games since I'm up here, but I want a team to follow.

I tried the Yankee thing, but it was everything I could do just to stomach the thought of following the evil empire. And eaglchick, I know you'll read this, you can take the Rays and shove 'em, but I am considering the Mets. I'm kinda thinking maybe the Atlanta Braves. I'm from North Florida which is Brave-heavy territory. Don't suggest the Stros because their suck rivals that of the Rangers. I could maybe get into the Dodgers, especially if they keep Manny. Boston is certainly a possibility, and as much as I hate to give D08 the satisfaction, so are the Cubs.

Anyway, I need suggestions and reasons backing them.

stevefoxsc
02-07-2009, 12:52 PM
boston sucks, thats all you need to know.

RocklandDragon
02-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Why not the Houston Astros?

They usually go on a tear around August and fight back to contention. Had great runs in 2004 and 2005. They usually have great pitching and play against the historical teams Cubs, Cardinals and Reds often.

The Central division is pretty competitive and why not cheer for the underdog Astros.

:cool:

Edit: I ain't gonna lie though...the year is supposed to be tough.

Hoodleboy80
02-07-2009, 12:54 PM
boston sucks, thats all you need to know.

Fail

svhorns
02-07-2009, 12:56 PM
I usually find myself cheering for the Mets because of Omar Minaya. He's the GM for the Mets and was born in the Dominican Republic. It's not often a hispanic can reach that stature in a MLB office but when they do watch out... especially if he's Dominican. Dominican born players have taken over MLB and he can connect with the Dominicans on a family level. Minaya was also responsible for finding Sammy Sosa and Juan Gonzalez when he was a scout for the Texas Rangers. Jose Reyes is an electric player and extremely fun to watch. I also hate the Yankees so it makes it that much easier to root for the Mets. I also like watching the Tampa Bay Devil Rays because of the youth.. Justin Upton and Scott Kazmir are both tremendous players and will be there for along time. The Florida Marlins are a fun bunch to watch because they really don't have any big name players but they get their job done whatever that might be.

After saying that I'm a Texas Rangers fan at heart.

stevefoxsc
02-07-2009, 12:59 PM
Fail

amazingly sounds just like your social and sexual life.

F18mustang
02-07-2009, 01:05 PM
Rangers are the Texas Tech of MLB, but they still are my team.

SLC
02-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Go with the Braves bro... They have an outstanding manager in Bobby Cox..they play in the National League (where real baseball is played) they play like a team (not individuals) they grow their farm system and they play all aspects of baseball (they dont just play longball). In short, they play the game the way it was meant to be played.

yankee
02-07-2009, 01:34 PM
i'd tell you to root for the yanks any other year but this one.

4th and 1
02-07-2009, 01:42 PM
I'm an Astro's fan at heart, but always have admired the Cardinals and the Braves because they have two of the best managers in the game in Tony La Russa and Bobby Cox respectively, IMO.

Cy-Fair07
02-07-2009, 01:44 PM
Without a doubt, Kansas City Royals.

Not really...

jtk1519
02-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Go with the Braves bro... They have an outstanding manager in Bobby Cox..they play in the National League (where real baseball is played) they play like a team (not individuals) they grow their farm system and they play all aspects of baseball (they dont just play longball). In short, they play the game the way it was meant to be played.

The only good baseball memories I really have are Braves associated. I grew up a huge Greg Maddux fan and loved watching them win the World Series. A friend of mine from high school used to play in the Braves organization and never had anything but the best things to say about the entire organization.

jtk1519
02-07-2009, 02:24 PM
Why not the Houston Astros?

When was the last time a Houston area professional sports team outside of the Dynamo won anything of consequence? I rest my case. Hell will freeze over before I root for a team from Choke City.

svhorns
02-07-2009, 02:28 PM
When was the last time a Houston area professional sports team outside of the Dynamo won anything of consequence? I rest my case. Hell will freeze over before I root for a team from Choke City.

this.

RocklandDragon
02-07-2009, 02:29 PM
When was the last time a Houston area professional sports team outside of the Dynamo won anything of consequence?

The Houston Rockets won NBA championships in 1994 and 1995. I'm certain that is well within your lifetime.

I rest my case. Hell will freeze over before I root for a team from Choke City.

Aw...you can cheer for a Houston team. It ain't gonna hurt ya. Maybe they'll start building snowmen in hell.

:D

AE 8008
02-07-2009, 02:34 PM

My dad grew up in Boston and instilled the Red Sox into me, and i also take his company's season tickets to alot of Ranger games, so those are my favorite teams, but I find watching some individual players (especially those with alot of personality) just as entertaining as following a team. Sure I loved Manny when he was on the sox, but i still love watchin him with the dodgers. i could care less about the Indians, but Sizemore is alot of fun to watch. Rick Ankiel is another personal favorite, and once again dont care about the cards. i'd say you could pick a few players and follow them and enjoy it just as much

SLC
02-07-2009, 02:59 PM
The only good baseball memories I really have are Braves associated. I grew up a huge Greg Maddux fan and loved watching them win the World Series. A friend of mine from high school used to play in the Braves organization and never had anything but the best things to say about the entire organization.

I'm telling ya man..The Braves are the only baseball team I thorougly enjoy watching. They, to me, are the epitomy of what baseball is all about. The only thing they didnt do was win an abundance of titles in the 90's with all the great teams they had, but I dont care about that in totality becuase they play the game the right way. When I close my eyes and think of baseball and the times I really enjoy watching it (because I, like you, cant get into it much) the Braves are the picture in my mind.

Favpack
02-07-2009, 03:05 PM
I've developed a pretty good feel for the Astros. Good organization - very stellard second half record over the past decade - meaning the team plays hard.

jtk1519
02-07-2009, 03:07 PM
The Houston Rockets won NBA championships in 1994 and 1995. I'm certain that is well within your lifetime.

I was 12-13 when they won those titles and I loved watching them. I was a big fan of Dream and Cassell and all those guys. Since then though, non-soccer Houston area sports has been an embarrassment of epic proportions. Were it not for Katy, I think God would have done smited Houston off the face of the Earth because the entire region is sports hell.

jtk1519
02-07-2009, 03:09 PM
I've developed a pretty good feel for the Astros. Good organization - very stellard second half record over the past decade - meaning the team plays hard.

Meaning they coast during the first half and get up during the second half to pad their stats for contract reasons. Thanks but no thanks.

Favpack
02-07-2009, 03:13 PM
Meaning they coast during the first half and get up during the second half to pad their stats for contract reasons. Thanks but no thanks.
Your cynicism is demoralizing.

4th and 1
02-07-2009, 03:29 PM

In 2005 the Houston Astros won the National League Pennant.

Owned05
02-07-2009, 03:58 PM

Only to get swept in the World Series by probably the most average WS championship team in last 7 or 8 years.

jtk, I always found it fun to root for a small market team or a team with a lot of young talent. Oakland comes to mind. Pirates, Royals, Indians, Reds, Orioles as well. I make almost all of the Pirates and Reds games when they come to Houston. Pittsburgh has a very good young pitching staff (Duke, Maholm, Snell, Capps, Gorzelanny) and some excellent young hitters (McClouth, Freddy Sanchez is a world class hitter, Andy LaRoche who they picked up at the trade deadline).

I love the Mets though, that'll never change. 21 years strong. It's tough though. I don't wish that pain on anyone.

farmerfan
02-07-2009, 04:06 PM

The greatest world series I have ever seen involved the Braves. It was the 91 series against the Twins. That game 7 is still the best pitched game I have ever seen. John Smoltz goes 9 scorless only to be topped by the 10 scoreless that Jack Morris went.
The whole organizaztion is top notch. John Schurholtz might be the best GM in the entire history of baseball. As SLC said, there farm system is always rated as one of hte best in the entire league. Bobby Cox is a true warrior and a manager who's players love playing for.
Turner field is an amazing park and I love how it just sits off of the Downtown Connector(75/85) and has a great view of downtown.
I think you should go with the Braves. That way we can take a trip to Georgia together :eek::cool:

jtk1519
02-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Your cynicism is demoralizing.

But true.

jtk1519
02-07-2009, 04:16 PM

They won almost by default and then got throttled in the WS.

4th and 1
02-07-2009, 04:28 PM
They won almost by default and then got throttled in the WS.

I answered your question...are you implying that winning a pennant is of no consequence?

jtk1519
02-07-2009, 04:29 PM
I answered your question...are you implying that winning a pennant is of no consequence?

Yes, I am.

Owned05
02-07-2009, 04:36 PM
Yes, I am.

Smart dude.

Astros will never win a world series as long as Drayton is still running the show.

4th and 1
02-07-2009, 04:38 PM
Hell will freeze over before I root for a team from Choke City.

Dress warmly....:cool:

dragons08
02-07-2009, 05:41 PM
Pick the Cubs for the following reasons:

1) Eagle will hate you because it'll piss her off.
2) See reason one.

Firebird
02-07-2009, 06:01 PM
You all know I hate MLB, but every year I try my hardest to get into it. I actually like it in the early months, but the season just drags on too damn long. That said, I'm going to give it a try again. My biggest problem is that when I have tried to get into it in the past, it has always been with the Rangers and disappointment and then apathy quickly ensues. I'll probably go to quite a few Ranger games since I'm up here, but I want a team to follow.

I tried the Yankee thing, but it was everything I could do just to stomach the thought of following the evil empire. And eaglchick, I know you'll read this, you can take the Rays and shove 'em, but I am considering the Mets. I'm kinda thinking maybe the Atlanta Braves. I'm from North Florida which is Brave-heavy territory. Don't suggest the Stros because their suck rivals that of the Rangers. I could maybe get into the Dodgers, especially if they keep Manny. Boston is certainly a possibility, and as much as I hate to give D08 the satisfaction, so are the Cubs.

Go with the Mets. The Braves suck and if you go with the Braves then you are going with a team owned by Ted F'n Turner. Don't go with the Sox because then you will become Farmer number two. Also bandwagon Sox fans are a dime a dozen. Same thing with the Cubs. Fans of those two teams are just too emo. The Mets are a good blue collar franchise.

yankee
02-07-2009, 06:10 PM
jtk; forever a bandwagon.

Hoodleboy80
02-07-2009, 06:28 PM
amazingly sounds just like your social and sexual life.

Your mother says otherwise

TEXREB
02-07-2009, 06:44 PM

Well you have me there other than the 'Stros winning an NL pennant which is of consequence IMO. Well I guess technically you could count the Comets 4 championships, but who cares about the WNBA.

I mean since '95 when Dallas won the SB and Rockets won the NBA, what sports team outside of the Stars won anything of consequence in Dallas? NHL and MLS are about the same level IMO. So they cancel each other out. Rangers are historically bad, Mavericks were OK for a while, but always choked in the playoffs and well the Cowboys haven't done jack since '95. San Antonio got both Dallas and Houston beat.

TEXREB
02-07-2009, 06:46 PM
I'm partial to the Astros, but you couldn't go wrong rooting for the Braves or the Cardinals, both class organizations.

I have a soft spot for the Pirates too, I absolutely love PNC Park, one of my favorite MLB parks.

lonny23
02-07-2009, 06:47 PM

Where do you truly identify with as where you're from? Do you say Jacksonville or do you go with Texas such as Abilene or DFW? That's who you should pick. I always say go with geography, but it's cheesy to get on the bandwagon late with popular teams.

Being a Dodgers, Mets, Cubs, Braves, Yankees, or Red Sox fan is too easy because there are a lot of real and pseudo fans of those teams.

I've always liked the Rangers and Astros and Nolan thinks Texas is going to be pretty good this year and recently they were voted as having the #1 farm system in baseball.

lonny23
02-07-2009, 06:49 PM
Rangers are the Texas Tech of MLB, but they still are my team.
Good thing I like the Rangers!:D

lonny23
02-07-2009, 06:50 PM
Katy won state this year in football!:D

lonny23
02-07-2009, 06:53 PM
Here's what I know off the top of my head:

Oilers won the AFL 1961 and 1962
Comets 1997, 1998, 1999, and 2000
Rockets 1994 and 1995
Aeros 1999 and something like 2003

The Astros high point was the 2005 World Series

lonny23
02-07-2009, 06:58 PM
I'm partial to the Astros, but you couldn't go wrong rooting for the Braves or the Cardinals, both class organizations.

I have a soft spot for the Pirates too, I absolutely love PNC Park, one of my favorite MLB parks.
Anybody that is a true-blue Astros fan should almost hate these teams by default:

Giants
Dodgers
Reds
Cardinals
Braves

Owned05
02-07-2009, 07:04 PM
Anybody that is a true-blue Astros fan should almost hate these teams by default:

Giants
Dodgers
Reds
Cardinals
Braves

You forgot the Mets.

I lost count how many times I've been to a Mets/Astros games in Met's gear and almost got in a fight with some drunk idiot wearing a Lee/Clemens/Pettite jersey. I've said for a long while on this board that Astros fans are some of the worst fans as far as 'getting it' and understanding baseball.

Add the Cubs to that list as well.

Oh, and you're right about the Rangers. They have incredible depth in there minors. Most of that coming from the Teixara trade.

lonny23
02-07-2009, 07:10 PM
You forgot the Mets.

I lost count how many times I've been to a Mets/Astros games in Met's gear and almost got in a fight with some drunk idiot wearing a Lee/Clemens/Pettite jersey. I've said for a long while on this board that Astros fans are some of the worst fans as far as 'getting it' and understanding baseball.

Add the Cubs to that list as well.

Oh, and you're right about the Rangers. They have incredible depth in there minors. Most of that coming from the Teixara trade.
I typhooned it on the Mets. I literally hated that 86 Mets team and even before the NLCS that year.

I've never really thought Astros fans hated Chicago that much, but they are in the Central.

TEXREB
02-07-2009, 07:20 PM

Giants
Dodgers
Reds
Cardinals
Braves

Don't like them, but they are class organizations and I can't fault anyone for rooting for them. I do hate the Giants and Dodgers with a passion, I hate that the Cardinals are almost always better than the Astros and have a better manager. Same thing with the Braves and Cox.

jtk1519
02-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Where do you truly identify with as where you're from? Do you say Jacksonville or do you go with Texas such as Abilene or DFW? That's who you should pick. I always say go with geography, but it's cheesy to get on the bandwagon late with popular teams.

Being a Dodgers, Mets, Cubs, Braves, Yankees, or Red Sox fan is too easy because there are a lot of real and pseudo fans of those teams.

I've always liked the Rangers and Astros and Nolan thinks Texas is going to be pretty good this year and recently they were voted as having the #1 farm system in baseball.

When somebody asks me where I'm from, I say Jacksonville because that is where I emerged from my mother's womb. Jacksonville is unique though because it has more in common with Atlanta, Charleston, Charlotte, etc. than it does Orlando, Tampa or Miami. Jacksonville is very much a Southern city.

That said, I identify New York as my second home which is why I'm open to being a Mets fan.

dragons08
02-07-2009, 08:15 PM
When somebody asks me where I'm from, I say Jacksonville because that is where I emerged from my mother's womb. Jacksonville is unique though because it has more in common with Atlanta, Charleston, Charlotte, etc. than it does Orlando, Tampa or Miami. Jacksonville is very much a Southern city.

That said, I identify New York as my second home which is why I'm open to being a Mets fan.

David Wright sucks.

country club
02-07-2009, 08:26 PM
Round Rock Express. Couple of good reasons, Astros system, in Austin (Road Trip), they are good and they serve COLD BEER !

svhorns
02-07-2009, 08:41 PM
Round Rock Express. Couple of good reasons, Astros system, in Austin (Road Trip), they are good and they serve COLD BEER !

I love the Express but once they get moved up to the big leagues they're dead to me. I can't stand the Astros.

farmerfan
02-07-2009, 09:02 PM
Go with the Braves JTK.

They also have IMO the nicest unis in all of Baseball. Especially their road grays. Those are freaking sharp and you can get ya a Larry Jones jersey;)

SLC
02-07-2009, 09:13 PM
Go with the Braves JTK.

They also have IMO the nicest unis in all of Baseball. Especially their road grays. Those are freaking sharp and you can get ya a Larry Jones jersey;)

I'm "officially" on the Braves wagon and will not be getting off...I've always liked them and I really dont like baseball...So that must mean something when I like a team in a sport I dont like.

Braves it is!

http://www.williamsclass.com/WebPage/MeganDaniels/Images/GIF/braves.jpg

TheBigPeach
02-07-2009, 09:52 PM
Pick a national league team...

Atlanta Braves :D

TheBigPeach
02-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Go with the Braves JTK.

Yea, but we have no pitching..... and all we have now is Chipper. Time to rebuild

jtk1519
02-07-2009, 09:59 PM
David Wright sucks.

This. And he's on roids.

SLC
02-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Yea, but we have no pitching..... and all we have now is Chipper. Time to rebuild

I'm fine with that. I'm sticking with them throgh thick and thin. Besides, they have one of the best farm systems around. They will rebuild with homegrown talent and will be better for it in the long run.

TheBigPeach
02-07-2009, 10:01 PM
I'm fine with that. I'm sticking with them throgh thick and thin. Besides, they have one of the best farm systems around. They will rebuild with homegrown talent and will be better for it in the long run.

Well, the AAA team is being moved to Gwinnet County (one county over from me.) I will probably go catch a few games and see if they are any good.

farmerfan
02-07-2009, 10:02 PM

Yes sir.
I don't like national league baseball but I respect the Braves mainly because of John Schurholtz and how he ran their organization. As I stated earlier, Schurholtz IMO is the greatest GM baseball has ever seen

farmerfan
02-07-2009, 10:03 PM
Well, the AAA team is being moved to Gwinnet County (one county over from me.) I will probably go catch a few games and see if they are any good.

Oh hell
Gwinett this Gwinett that. Gwinett county = Collin County which is my favorite county in Texas so I like Gwinett. Gwinett is Great, Success lives there;):D

TheBigPeach
02-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Oh hell
Gwinett this Gwinett that. Gwinett county = Collin County which is my favorite county in Texas so I like Gwinett. Gwinett is Great, Success lives there;):D

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/index.jsp?sid=t431

The Gwinnet Braves Website :p

I thought Oconnee (spell check) County was your favorite in GA? :D