PDA

View Full Version : Quitting smoking...

wide-e-wide
12-08-2005, 04:04 PM
It's official...as of January,5 2006....I am finally doing away with by far the most disgusting and horrible habits known to man.

I knew I couldn't make it through the Rose Bowl without a square...so I made my stop date the day after the game.

Not drinking for a month either...not a single Miller Lite. Should be interesting. I will let you guys know how that turns out...hahaha

To all the smokers out there...don't worry I am not going to become one of those ex-smoker Nazis...what you do is your business.

garlandowl08
12-08-2005, 04:27 PM
It's official...as of January,5 2006....I am finally doing away with by far the most disgusting and horrible habits known to man.

I knew I couldn't make it through the Rose Bowl without a square...so I made my stop date the day after the game.

Not drinking for a month either...not a single Miller Lite. Should be interesting. I will let you guys know how that turns out...hahaha

To all the smokers out there...don't worry I am not going to become one of those ex-smoker Nazis...what you do is your business.

I applaud your effort. Smoking has killed my grandpa so I really think its best to quit. Good Luck and Congrats.

SeguinMatadors
12-08-2005, 04:31 PM

Good man. I wish you luck. Smoking has killed relatives of mine also.

Redneckn
12-08-2005, 05:09 PM
Wide: Are you quitting solid or are you gonna do patches or something?

I tried earlier in the year to quit. Dr. put me on Welbutrin and little nicotine inhalers. The inhalers worked pretty good. The welbutrin made me go from 0-pissed off in less than 30 seconds. I have always had a pretty short fuse. Over the last several years I have managed to get a new outlook on life and be much more laid back about thing. Until then. I would just get violently mad at the slightest little thing. Throwing stuff at people and just an all out jackass to be around.
If you decided to get a drug to help you, be very careful with it and listen to anybody telling you about mood swings. You wont really notice them. I got off the drugs. Put the inhalers up and got myself a Camel. I feel much better now. I still smoke though. But I am weening myself down. Since January, I am down from 3 packs a day to about 1.5 a day. I am hoping in January I will be down to less than 1 pack a day.

Good luck with it. As for the beer thing. Cant help ya. I am one of the few people I know that just one day decided not to drink anymore and didnt. I went well over 5 years without taking more than total of about 3 shots.

wide-e-wide
12-08-2005, 05:14 PM
I'm doing it cold turkey...pray for me.

Redneckn
12-08-2005, 05:15 PM
Will do.
Cold turkey. In the end, you'll be a better man for it, doing it that way.

packfan75
12-08-2005, 05:19 PM

Bravo! Good luck and I hope you are successful. I quit a month ago after smoking for about 30 years. So far so good, but I know that I could still slip up. After this long, though, I am hoping that I am done for good. Let us know how it goes!

AllenEagle06
12-08-2005, 05:52 PM
Stopping at once in just one day? That's extremely hard to do.

You know the best way to stop instantly? Go to a hypnotist.

SeguinMatadors
12-08-2005, 06:23 PM
Stopping at once in just one day? That's extremely hard to do.

You know the best way to stop instantly? Go to a hypnotist.

Does that work?

Packattack94
12-08-2005, 06:47 PM
Wide,
I have to respect you, you are hiliarious, and Hell I even wanted to vote for you to be President. BUT I never thought of you as a QUITTER.:)

AllenEagle06
12-08-2005, 07:15 PM
Does that work?
Yes it does actually. I had a history teacher a couple of years ago who had a daughter that wanted her to quit smoking for her birthday. So she went to a hypnotist to stop and it worked.

wide-e-wide
12-08-2005, 07:36 PM
I have an uncle that did that back in the 80's ...it worked for him.
But my aunt says...she sees him holding his fingers to his mouth like he is smoking sometimes...in his sleep. Hahahaha

dragonfootballfan
12-08-2005, 08:20 PM

I had a few friends that stopped smoking cold turkey and they told me that what helped them the most was their strong faith in God and to change their routine totally. That way you don't see many things that remind you of smoking.

packfan75
12-08-2005, 08:51 PM

Cold turkey is the way I did it. I knew that if I tried to slowly stop it would never happen. I put them down and haven't touched one since. The first 3 days are by far the hardest. Make it past them and it will be much easier.

If you have a problem doing it cold turkey, talk to your doctor. My doctor put me on Zyban a few years ago. It killed my desire for a cigarette the very first day, but I was one of those few who suffered from side effects. It made me so sick I couldn't breathe. I threw up several times a day every day I was on it. Afer about 4 days I had to stop. However, it did kill the craving.

Good luck!

lonny23
12-08-2005, 09:16 PM

Congrats on the improvements! It's good you said it here to be a good influence on others.

lonny23
12-08-2005, 09:19 PM
It's a mental thing. You think you need a cig because of something and it just means you need to explore new avenues to solve problems and release stress. We'll pray for you.

lonny23
12-08-2005, 09:24 PM
I had a few friends that stopped smoking cold turkey and they told me that what helped them the most was their strong faith in God and to change their routine totally. That way you don't see many things that remind you of smoking.
God helps. Another thing is to change the situation. You substitute stuff for a cigarette like a carrot stick. You get over the nicotine withdrawals pretty quickly, but it's your mind telling you that you need to smoke at a certain time that's harder. I'm talking about like during poker games, watching football, at the bar or club, etc. See AFN TV does have some value. I couldn't tell you how many stop smoking commercials I've seen on Armed Forces TV over they years!:D

BigArab
12-09-2005, 01:51 AM
Congratulations. You know I could sit and tell you the health risks of continuing to smoke, but of course you realize that. You wouldn't be quitting if you didn't. A good way that I've heard to keep off of it is any time you need that hand fixation, get a straw or pencil. I've even heard of someone getting a smoking filter, having someone smoke through it and pulling it out and puffing on it every now and then. You get the flavor, the hand fixation, but none of the crap.

Good luck to you. Let me know if you need any encouragement.