PDA

View Full Version : Why do they make Mexico a group head!!!!

Pearland1
12-07-2005, 05:06 PM
FIFA are a bunch of Mafia run criminals!!!!

They have Mexico Rank 4 or 5 and the have dont crap during this last 4 years. Then make Mexico a group Leader for the world cup!!!!

what a joke. USA beat them this year in qualifications. We beat them in the 2002 world cup and we still dont get crap!!!!

lonny23
12-08-2005, 01:52 AM

They have Mexico Rank 4 or 5 and the have dont crap during this last 4 years. Then make Mexico a group Leader for the world cup!!!!

what a joke. USA beat them this year in qualifications. We beat them in the 2002 world cup and we still dont get crap!!!!
We tied them for the CONCACAF lead in qualifying. We lost to them in Mexico and won in the U.S.

lonny23
12-08-2005, 02:04 AM

The draw is tomorrow. I know nothing about them being a group head. They're #7 and we're #8 in the FIFA rankings, so both of us might be group heads.

t00 playa
12-08-2005, 02:44 PM
i agree, havent seen too much from mexico lately.....yet they are still ranked so high.:eek:

Lufkin_Class_Of_08
12-08-2005, 02:54 PM
to quote the late great rodney dangerfield: I get no respect("I" being USA)...r.i.p. rodney and god bless tex....er a america;) :D

lonny23
12-09-2005, 06:59 AM
OK, here's your link for the group heads. I'm including the pdf file but the bottom line is they take the average of each team's final yearly rank in 2003, 2004, and Nov 2005 and assign point values up to 32 points. They also assign points to the last 2 world cups with 2002 being worth twice as much as 1998. The U.S. missed being a group head by 1 point. A win over Germany in 2002, a better showing in 1998, or being ranked a little higher in each of the last 3 years would've done the trick.

Your group leaders are:

Brazil
Argentina
Italy
Spain
France
Mexico
Germany
England

The U.S. will be placed with 1 of those 8 teams.

http://eur.i1.yimg.com/eu.download.yahoo.com/fifa/fu/finaldrawpot1.pdf

Pearland1
12-09-2005, 08:40 AM
can some explain to me why mexico is a group leader?

jc84chill
12-09-2005, 02:03 PM
can some explain to me why mexico is a group leader?

They take into account World Cup 98 and 2002, along with other big competitions between. I would imagine Mexico's run in the Confederations Cup last summer gave them the boost in points, along with qualifying for the final round of 16 in '98.

The US just missed out on points for gaining a top seed for 2006, because they still take into account the results from '98 when the US finished dead last out of the 32 teams. I would imagine that is what kept the US out of getting a seed despite eliminating Mexico in 2002 and qualifying ahead of Mexico in the qualifiers to 2006.

lonny23
12-10-2005, 01:43 AM
They take into account World Cup 98 and 2002, along with other big competitions between. I would imagine Mexico's run in the Confederations Cup last summer gave them the boost in points, along with qualifying for the final round of 16 in '98.

The US just missed out on points for gaining a top seed for 2006, because they still take into account the results from '98 when the US finished dead last out of the 32 teams. I would imagine that is what kept the US out of getting a seed despite eliminating Mexico in 2002 and qualifying ahead of Mexico in the qualifiers to 2006.
If the U.S. makes the 2nd Round in Germany we WILL be one of the seeded teams in 2010.

lonny23
07-11-2006, 02:30 AM
OK, here's your link for the group heads. I'm including the pdf file but the bottom line is they take the average of each team's final yearly rank in 2003, 2004, and Nov 2005 and assign point values up to 32 points. They also assign points to the last 2 world cups with 2002 being worth twice as much as 1998. The U.S. missed being a group head by 1 point. A win over Germany in 2002, a better showing in 1998, or being ranked a little higher in each of the last 3 years would've done the trick.

Your group leaders are:

Brazil
Argentina
Italy
Spain
France
Mexico
Germany
England

The U.S. will be placed with 1 of those 8 teams.

http://eur.i1.yimg.com/eu.download.yahoo.com/fifa/fu/finaldrawpot1.pdf
Well, if you look at the chart, you'll see the U.S. is fighting an uphill battle getting one of the Top 8 seeds for South Africa. We probably would've gotten a Top 8 seed in 2010 if we could've moved on to Round 2 this year.

Notice how well the seeded teams did in World Cup 2006. We missed out by 1 point and would've been a seeded team if they had gone by the world rankings this year instead of stopping in November 2005, but I know they needed to do the draw in December.

KT2000
07-11-2006, 07:24 AM
We'll be looking at another challenging group in 2010. However, it is the World Cup so there's really no sense in hoping for an easy path. There is no such thing.

Mexico got a much more favorable group draw than we did, but their consolation prize was a second round match with Argentina or The Netherlands.

Our consolation prize, had we beaten Ghana, would have been a second round date with Brazil.

lonny23
07-11-2006, 11:37 AM
We'll be looking at another challenging group in 2010. However, it is the World Cup so there's really no sense in hoping for an easy path. There is no such thing.

Mexico got a much more favorable group draw than we did, but their consolation prize was a second round match with Argentina or The Netherlands.

Our consolation prize, had we beaten Ghana, would have been a second round date with Brazil.
When you get 2nd, you stand a good chance to have to play a seeded team. You can sometimes catch a break in the 2nd Round, but you're going to be playing the top dogs from that time on.

Red Raiders
07-13-2006, 08:57 PM
Well, if you look at the chart, you'll see the U.S. is fighting an uphill battle getting one of the Top 8 seeds for South Africa. We probably would've gotten a Top 8 seed in 2010 if we could've moved on to Round 2 this year.

Notice how well the seeded teams did in World Cup 2006. We missed out by 1 point and would've been a seeded team if they had gone by the world rankings this year instead of stopping in November 2005, but I know they needed to do the draw in December.

South Africa will automatically qualified for the World Cup because its in South Africa but I doubt it if they make Top 8 Seeds against all the great teams.